Forum Settings
Forums

What is the worst trope to see when you're watching anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 18, 2017 6:59 AM

Dec 2012
'Get on the robot Shinji!'

Everytime this happens........
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 18, 2017 7:02 AM

Dec 2015
-Onii chan! Onii chan!
-Girls who are clearly underage but have huge tits.
-Really fucking unrealistic girls in romance anime
Jul 18, 2017 7:03 AM

Jan 2008
The "I can kill you right here and now, but I won't because I know you'll never be able to defeat me." trope.

Also the telling entire evil secret plan is the runner up.
Jul 18, 2017 7:27 AM

Sep 2012
Kuraokani said:
sasalx said:
Tsundere girl beating the MC just because she loves her.

/thread
Didn't you just describe part of the monogatari series but your sig is monogatari?

Well that is why Hitagi is my least fav char in the show so yea.
Jul 18, 2017 7:39 AM

Nov 2016
@IgniteDatAnus

Hates Taiga but likes Asuka.. Ok then?

Taiga has a reason to act tsundere as well
Jul 18, 2017 8:22 AM

Apr 2011
Whatever trope it is that forces romance into every single thing.
Jul 18, 2017 8:42 AM

Jul 2013
Magical girl transformations... I swear they take waaay to long. And the villians just wait til it's done.

I don't mind big boobs but if it's bigger than a F cup.... Im out.

Jul 18, 2017 8:50 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
tragedydesu said:
even that i like Marika , she didn't have enough screen time so i couldn't root for her

honestly if Marika had more screentime Nisekoi would go from a 7/10 to a 9/10 to me

Marika best girl

----------

I hate all cliches equally as I demand originality

Which is my answer for "I have no idea" because I can't think of a cliche I've come across and consistently disliked tbh

Jul 18, 2017 8:52 AM

Oct 2013
Manaban said:
I can't think of a cliche I've come across and consistently disliked tbh
the she isn't really my sister should maybe take the spot my friend just saying
Jul 18, 2017 8:53 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Deknijff said:
Manaban said:
I can't think of a cliche I've come across and consistently disliked tbh
the she isn't really my sister should maybe take the spot my friend just saying

You know I have no idea how I'd forget about that, shamefur dispray on my end, especially because I've bitched about it relentlessly in the past

Yeah that's definitely it, because it's taking a product that's usually trying to sell itself as something and then turning it into something that isn't that at all, it's practically false marketing on top of just being annoying bullshit

It can't even be compared to drinking watered down beer because in watered down beer the beer still exists in the product

Incest doesn't exist in the step-sibling excuse to any degree

Jul 18, 2017 8:57 AM

Jul 2015
@Manaban
so more screen time for her is enough for you to increase the score?
even if she don't win in the end?
tragedydesuJul 18, 2017 9:01 AM
Jul 18, 2017 9:02 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
tragedydesu said:
@Manaban
so more screen time for her is enough for you to increase the score?
even if she didn't win?

well yeah

Mostly because she was the best thing about that series for me without any other part of it coming close, so I have little doubt that I would like the series much more if she got much more attention in it as a sort of natural reaction

And partly because whoever wins only really hurts my opinion of the product whenever I really hate the character who won and not because my favorite girl didn't win, and many times it does not make its way into the anime as is and the amount of source material i look into can be very limited

If anything I'm much more on the waifu-y side than the shipping side so not seeing them with some other guy is preferable to feeling a bit jealous over it, only time where that wouldn't apply is when it's wincest, and actual wincest and not just step-siblings bullshit, i.e. Kirino and Kyousuke or Tatsuya and Miyuki, at which point I am much more receptive to it
ManabanJul 18, 2017 9:10 AM

Jul 18, 2017 9:13 AM

Feb 2015
the power of nakama that somehow always helps the mc to get out a situation where he/she is supposed to die.
Jul 18, 2017 9:16 AM

Jun 2014
Calal-Chan said:
Honestly, if you can call it a trope. Fanservice in non-fanservice shows. And of course, I mean like this. It might be one of my favorite shows, but honestly, it could have done without the stupid fanservice.

If you're talking about the girl being bent over from behind, then yes, I hate that too.

It's one of the main reasons I'll never watch Yamato 2199.

Jul 18, 2017 9:19 AM
Jul 2017
PhilAlmighty said:
I agree, the whole "assaulting the MC for supposedly being a pervert/weirdo" trope MIGHT have been somewhat funny the first time I ever saw it, but at this point, it just annoys the shit out of me anymore. Every time some main character accidentally walks in on some girl changing and gets his ass kicked for it, I find myself counting the seconds of how long the fucking scene lasts so I know exactly how much time the show is wasting rehashing the most tired trope ever.

agree , also it seem very common as well
Jul 18, 2017 9:20 AM

Mar 2014
After seeing the imouto anime news, siscon/brocon/anything with incest vibes. And traps.
Jul 18, 2017 9:30 AM

Apr 2015
*male character walks into a room, female is randomly changing/naked*

Girl: Ahhh! Pervert!

Just once I'd like to hear one of them snap back "Lock the fucking door!"
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 18, 2017 12:05 PM
Sep 2011
When the girl is naked in front of MC and then he gets slapped for absolutely no reason even though it's the girls fault............I'm getting tired of this shit -.-
Jul 18, 2017 1:24 PM

Jul 2013
nose1234 said:
The few I can think of are:
Incest as previously mentioned, whimpy main characters (not always bad, but sometimes things would work better with a character with more of a spine, Tokyo Ghoul is an example), unnecessary pervert/akward moments (Evangelion movies (1.11 and 2.22)), female side characters entering battle half naked for no reason. I'll add more if I think of them.

There are tropes however which don't tire me as well, at least for now.

Calal-Chan said:
Honestly, if you can call it a trope. Fanservice in non-fanservice shows. And of course, I mean like this. It might be one of my favorite shows, but honestly, it could have done without the stupid fanservice.

lol, I can still remember the cringe I had with that.

Still loved grimgar though, I wish they'd make a second season.

I would love a second season but I don't think it was popular enough.
Jul 18, 2017 1:25 PM

Feb 2015
I think everyone agrees with the fanservice, I mean everyone hates fanservice. :/
Jul 18, 2017 2:19 PM

Feb 2016
Interruption of a long-awaited first kiss or love confession. Main reason why I gave up on Nisekoi and generally don't like drawn-out love triangles, I can't handle the endless cockblocking.

Also, childhood friends. Why is it that cousins and even sisters seem to have a better chance at getting with the MC than they do?
--- + ---
"Random quotes in signatures are like friends. Everyone seems to have them, except me."
Sun Tzu, probably

Jul 18, 2017 2:28 PM
Jul 2014
@Pixel_Vapour

I'm sorry to say, yes, I don't like Taiga. Although it's been years since I've actually watched Toradora and seeing that Evangelion is my current favorite anime, it is possible that I am biased towards Asuka. However, I remember finding Taiga kinda more annoying than Asuka.

From what I remember I never had any connection with her, to the point where I forgot about the backstory and reason for Taiga's tsundere nature. The only thing that stood out for me was whenever she was violent and I hate when tsunderes are really violent towards their loved ones. Especially when they are trying to hurt/murder someone who doesn't seem to deserve it.

With Asuka, she wasn't overly violent, just very aggressive and bitchy. The only time I remember really her violent was a couple slaps, and that punch in Rebuild 3.33, I'm not counting mecha battles. The most annoying thing about her was her arrogance and her obsession to get laid, those were some of the stuff I disliked about her. But Asuka was knocked down a peg or two and received some kind of consequence/karma for her actions.

Still.... Asuka resonated with me when I found out her backstory, I understood her plight. Like her, I have somewhat of an inferiority complex(which she hides it with her ego/pride) and when I get critiqued about something I like to do I tend to go to through a mini life crisis. ...But that doesn't mean she's my favorite character or even at the top 50 for me....

Anyways... Asuka is someone I relate to and sympathize with due to that reason. Taiga is not. I'm not saying that Taiga is a bad character. I remember her being much more interesting than other heroines I've seen before. There is a reason she is very iconic. However, she is still a character I remember being really irritated with, more so than with Asuka, to the point where it grew hard for me to actually sympathize with Taiga and complete Toradora altogether. Especially, when Toradora has the heroine and the romance as the main selling points. I just had no tolerance for her or the romance at the time.

People have different taste in anime girls I guess.

Perhaps I might rewatch Toradora to see if my opinions have changed over the years, but for now, I prefer Asuka over Taiga. Sorry.
IgniteDatAnusJul 18, 2017 2:47 PM
Jul 19, 2017 4:13 AM

Nov 2016
@IgniteDatAnus That's fair enough. I think Asuka is in the top 2 hottest Eva girls (with Misato) but it's just a shame about her personality. The only girl which I prefer her to in Eva was Ritsuko. Misato is my fave Eva girl. People do like different anime girls indeed.

There are a lot of haters of Taiga though so I get used to it.
Jul 19, 2017 4:43 AM

Oct 2013
When the main character does a special move and the onlooking cast needs to explain what the special attack does and what the after effect is. This always drives me up the wall, anime is a visual medium we can see what's happening you don't need to explain what's happening on screen. Spider-man rarely ever says what his webs do to villains.
Jul 19, 2017 10:54 AM

May 2017
Celestia-L20XX said:
When the main character does a special move and the onlooking cast needs to explain what the special attack does and what the after effect is. This always drives me up the wall, anime is a visual medium we can see what's happening you don't need to explain what's happening on screen. Spider-man rarely ever says what his webs do to villains.

Or the Incredible Hulk when he's smashing things.
Jul 19, 2017 11:28 AM

Nov 2012
When the MC falls in love with a female who by any reasonable standard needs to be put in prison for the safety of society (Yuno from Mirai Nikki, Lucy from Elfen Lied, and Louise from ZnT).
Jul 19, 2017 11:37 AM

Dec 2016
The high-school MC always, but always sitting in the same seat: at the back of the classroom and next to the window.
Jul 19, 2017 10:15 PM

Mar 2016
albertbrown said:
I was wondering if there is anything that bugs you in a storyline when you watch anime.

Me it would have to be watching harem where all the girls act clueless when they're blaming the male lead character for doing something stupid, but it never really affected them to begin with.

^ This is annoying.

What annoys me more is the "I'm running late for school!" trope.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2017 10:20 PM

Aug 2016
Boob physics/oversized boobs. Goddammit atleast make them proportional :/

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Jul 19, 2017 10:30 PM

Oct 2014
Incest stuff, like when MC's cousin appears in Sankarea fallen in love with him. Why it isn't normal healthy relationship?
Jul 19, 2017 10:33 PM

Aug 2016
A kind of overlooked trope, but I think it's worth mentioning. The MC guy character that exists for no other purpose than being a stand in for the audience. All the other character have more of a presence and actual stakes within the plot, but this guy just follows the plot and more meaningful characters simply because he needs to be there because the writer couldn't come up any other way to enage the audience. The most glaring example recently is the main guy from Kakegurui.
Jul 19, 2017 10:36 PM

Nov 2011
Mostly in shoujo manga- I'm tired of the girl who shows up, is extremely mean to the protag, but then the protag befriends anyway her and they become best friends. I enjoy friendships that are nice from the beginning and this just seems to happen may too often.

Jul 19, 2017 10:58 PM
Apr 2016
Female being afraid or hates males and hitting them/attacking when they've done nothing wrong. I'm a female and I personally don't find it funny when anime does that, it's a really stupid trope that just needs to die.

Stupid anime logic moments. For instance have an umbrella to hold out to a person? Drop that and give a person your jacket for them to use. And other stupid anime logic moments like that where I just have to look at the screen and be like really, why would you do that?

Simple misunderstandings that last for like 5 episodes for "drama" when it can be taken care of in one episode.

I'm fine with love triangles, but only if the romance is resolved at the end. If not, then what's the point of the love triangle?

Harems. Hate them, what's the point when the guy is clueless, the girls are stupid and the guy doesn't choose a girl at the end?

Like others have said character or main character accidentally enters a room with a female changing, or stumbles and falls upon a girl. It's cringey as all hell and not funny.

Jul 19, 2017 11:17 PM

Nov 2011
perverted/annoying best friends/group of friends is annoying me at the minute....courtesy of Hajimete no gal
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Jul 19, 2017 11:47 PM

Jun 2017
Harems, incest and shota are all terrible to me.

But one thing I really don't like is unnecessary love interests. Andrew is my least favorite part of the LWA anime. I also have this problem with Sena or whatever in Aikatsu.
Jul 20, 2017 12:00 AM

Jun 2013
I only really have one troupe i dislike and that is NTR.
Other than that maybe the overall rapiness of anime in general and the overuse of certain genres like; isekai, Op protagonist with a harem
Memento Mori.
Jul 20, 2017 12:01 AM

Jun 2016
The MC that wants to save everything, such as Shirou from the Fate/ series
Jul 20, 2017 12:03 AM

Oct 2016
The annoying, loud, and 'cute' side girl with glasses. Makes me want to drop a show. The voice of those characters is always high pitched and cringe worthy. Those characters usually try to do overly cute things as well.
Jul 20, 2017 12:05 AM

Jun 2013
Seiya said:
Bouncing breasts.

I didn't like it much when I was younger, but now, I will sometimes avoid an Anime entirely if it contains any bouncing breasts at all.

So i guess that means flat is justice?
XD
Memento Mori.
Jul 20, 2017 2:29 AM
Jul 2018
Deknijff said:
the cutting the female character's hair to symbolise a inner change or finally getting past something

Isn't it Mulan that did it first 'cause seems like using it became oftenly convenient that's just feels show-offy. And it can really turn me off liking what I'm watching.
Jul 20, 2017 2:36 AM

Oct 2013
yuliyana29 said:
Deknijff said:
the cutting the female character's hair to symbolise a inner change or finally getting past something
Isn't it Mulan that did it first 'cause seems like using it became oftenly convenient that's just feels show-offy. And it can really turn me off liking what I'm watching.
I don't really know actually who did it first
perhaps doing research on the subject would be a good idea
I feel you on the show-offy thing. Is kind of lazy too in my opinion. A writer should be able to show true change by thoughts and actions. Not getting rid of something to symbolise them changing
Jul 20, 2017 4:52 AM
Jul 2018
The MCs who refuse to fuck their loli imuotos.
Jul 20, 2017 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
Deknijff said:
I don't really know actually who did it first
perhaps doing research on the subject would be a good idea
I feel you on the show-offy thing. Is kind of lazy too in my opinion. A writer should be able to show true change by thoughts and actions. Not getting rid of something to symbolise them changing

I already have knowledge of what it symbolizes yet why it always have to be a haircut when an author can come up with various, unique ways to express a female character growth, so just like you said - it's definitely a lazy move.
Jul 20, 2017 5:09 AM

Oct 2014
I am honestly getting bored of the "Chosen One" trope. Specifically about how some shows handwave a main character being able to survive an unstoppable attack, is able to do some special superpower with no explanation whatsoever or my biggest hate, the inexperienced angsty teen who is the least qualified to be the leader becomes one anyway and predictably, makes stupid decisions along the way. Granted, those stupid decisions do yield good results in most shows but why? "He's the hero, so it does."
Jul 20, 2017 5:16 AM
Jul 2016
Physically Violent Tsunderes,
Excessive boob and panty shots
Incest and anything that borders on incestual relationships

Sexualization of prepubescent looking characters, especially if they also have child like personalities
Jul 20, 2017 7:50 AM

Jun 2014
animeno said:
Seiya said:
Bouncing breasts.

I didn't like it much when I was younger, but now, I will sometimes avoid an Anime entirely if it contains any bouncing breasts at all.

So i guess that means flat is justice?
XD

They don't need to be flat, they just need to not bounce.

Bouncing breasts have been around for a while now, but it wasn't as common one time.

Jul 20, 2017 8:01 AM

Oct 2016
Those idiots who think they're so cool by adjusting their glasses all the time.
the cool people push it up by the bridge, the nerdy characters adjust the lenses on their nose
gag me
Jul 20, 2017 8:14 AM

Apr 2015
Monster of the week. it's so BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORINGGGGG!!!!!
Girl abuse, I'm anti misogyny.
Dandere, worst dere
First girl win, usually first girl is shit
Heroic character, usually will ended up as dumb (Tatsumi) or sexist or both (Subaru)
Seiya said:
Bouncing breasts.

no wonder you really hate Gainax.
Jul 20, 2017 8:17 AM

Jun 2014
You said:
Monster of the week. it's so BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORINGGGGG!!!!!
Girl abuse, I'm anti misogyny.
Dandere, worst dere
First girl win, usually first girl is shit
Seiya said:
Bouncing breasts.

no wonder you really hate Gainax.

Well, I mainly hate Gainax because Hideaki Anno sucks, and I hate psychological and dementia Anime.

Jul 20, 2017 9:12 AM
Jul 2017
The male character tripping over the female and his hand landing on her boobs.

Not only is it overused, but is also painful to watch. According to the laws of physics, the force from that hand as it falls onto the delicate boob hurts a crap ton.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by Kdog1998 »»
13 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
21 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
23 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
25 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.