3It was OK
22.4%
2Disliked it
6.0%
1Hated it
1.5%
Average 4.0
67 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2017 9:52 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So we got Acguy and his team against Dahle's troops.

The South Seas Alliance makes a strategic move with Goufs and Do-dais which I thought was kinda interesting. Kinda interesting to see how intense the fight got over the jungle lands this episode. It's a good thing they still make Io pretty relevant even in this finale.

Levan Fuu also looks dope.
Stark700Jul 13, 2017 10:05 PM
Jul 13, 2017 10:44 PM

Jan 2009
nice final episode for this season i hope there will be a anime sequel since this is around where the manga scanlation stop releasing so i want to know what happens next

its gonna be awesome if Io and Daryl are newtypes too since the leader of the monk military is a newtype himself that brainwash his monk followers and Claudia
Jul 13, 2017 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
I think there should be a season 3 of thunderbolt. I want to see Io save Claudia from South Sea Alliance.
Jul 14, 2017 2:14 AM

Apr 2016
That cliffhanger burns.

I fucking love this show, this episode included. Now everything this season hinted at has been tied up, now for the eventual season 3 to resolve this brutal cliffhanger.
Jul 14, 2017 4:41 AM
Aug 2014
That was some good gundam.
Jul 14, 2017 5:45 AM

Dec 2015

2/5

The music is often good but still as randomly put on scenes as before, giving the impression it is here for nothing. And why did we get a song about a reclused person who wants to get out pasted on the battlefield prowess of some robots?
It's almost as heavy on shiny action than the first part and as light for what's left, no matter how much certain people claim that this show offers its biggest part to the human aspect.
On the other hand, the charadesign is still a good change to today's common things. And it has finally an intrigue to follow! (wasn't expecting that)

6/10

@CodeBlazeFate Why didn't it reach a 10? Wasn't this second half better than the first one?
Also, sorry for not being able yet to see through the shiny things. Maybe next season, I'll reach the meat of this work.
Fun fact: I found someone commenting how better UC fictions were because of the focus on robots fighting each other. It would certainly hurt the creators. XD

edit @CodeBlazeFate I see.
I vaguely remember Seed's songs by Kajiura. Can't say but that'w probably true.
I noticed the later usage of the word "princess" but thought it was just a coincidence because there were no other links.
Rei_IIIFeb 10, 2018 8:25 AM
Jul 14, 2017 6:19 AM

Apr 2016
@Rei366

Are you referring to the song about the princess? To be fair, Claudia was referred to as a sort of lost princess by Bianca, and it's not like any other Gundam anime has thematic OSTs that expand on the characters or anything like that. Thunderbolt is the only series that has music with lyrics that are even somewhat relevant, possibly due to almost no other series in the franchise having background music that have lyrics barring SEED (and do any of those songs have lyrics that tie into anything other than say, the sound of the songs adding to the tone, which is also present here?)

The characters and story are pretty great, but not inherently exceptional. This is only a small side-story, so I doubt anything of that length can get away with having such rich characters and style while simultaneously having amazing fun and production values. For a series like this to even come close, that's an accomplishment.
Jul 14, 2017 9:26 AM

Sep 2014
What is this cliffhanger shit? Intense episode, lots of fighting. Still this season is a bit worse (rather not as good, worse sounds so bad) then the first.-
The duel between Io and Daryl was missing here.

So season 3 when?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 14, 2017 2:46 PM

Feb 2014
Thumbs up for season 3
Jul 14, 2017 2:54 PM

Feb 2008
I just finished my Gundam Ground Type S gunpla as well. It was charming to see my newest creation in action. As far as action was concerned, the episode definitely delivered. In addition to Federation suits proving their supremacy, Acguy's didn't disappoint either.

The plot twist regarding the background of the cult leader was intriguing too. Overall, the series lacked depth (in regards to character interactions, I guess) compared to the previous season, though. Regardless, it was an enjoyable ride. The ending definitely suggests that another season is extremely likely. I wouldn't want to miss it.

On another note, the background song playing while the MS combat unfolded featured some rather dark lyrics. I liked that.
Jul 14, 2017 2:54 PM

Jun 2016
Good episode and a solid second season. I hope we get a third, this one rather felt like a set up compared to the first season of Thunderbolt.
Jul 14, 2017 4:38 PM

May 2015

F*ck even if season 1 ended in a cliffhanger that season felt more complete in terms of telling the whole story to the point of that cliffhanger... that doesn’t mean this season was bad on the contrary, I want more... season 3 when?!
Jul 14, 2017 5:46 PM

Nov 2014
Comander-07 said:
What is this cliffhanger shit? Intense episode, lots of fighting. Still this season is a bit worse (rather not as good, worse sounds so bad) then the first.-

So season 3 when?

The first season would be near impossible to surpass but this was still excellent. 8/10 if it is the end, 9/10 if they do a season 3 like they should.
Jul 15, 2017 9:44 AM

Sep 2014
Choostopher said:
Comander-07 said:

So season 3 when?

The first season would be near impossible to surpass but this was still excellent. 8/10 if it is the end, 9/10 if they do a season 3 like they should.
yeah pretty much
also the OST was imo better in S1
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 15, 2017 3:28 PM

Apr 2012
Amazing. Looking forward to season 3! Thunderbolt is some of the best mecha I've seen in a long time.
"The moment 'pride' is lost, 'freedom' is also lost" - Ramza Beoulve, Final Fantasy Tactics

Jul 15, 2017 10:47 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Still surprised that Claudia is alive....I'm happy that she is but damn it sucks that she's being brainwashed (Plus I kinda wanna ship Lo with best girl lol)

Overall this was another great season and I really hope that we can continue to get more seasons so that we can finish the story because that cliffhanger has me wanting A LOT more

I was really impressed with Daryl too btw

8/10
Jul 16, 2017 11:22 PM

Sep 2011
Absolute trash. Even worse than the first season since at least the first season told a full story. 3/10 everything this show does has been done before in another UC side story.
Jul 17, 2017 9:42 AM
Jul 2017
the sub pilot in Daryl's Acguy is Zinnerman from Garancieres in gundam UC? They have same resemblance
Jul 18, 2017 4:43 AM

Oct 2008
Suicide Newtype Monks huh...they could have thinked of a different idea...
4/5.
8/10.

Jul 18, 2017 9:51 PM

Oct 2009
Season 3 when?!

Didn't top season 1 though, the pacing and music wasn't as good.

8/10
Aug 3, 2017 6:54 PM

Nov 2008
im interested in that zaku that the monks have under construction.

Aug 3, 2017 6:57 PM

Sep 2016
the 1st series is way better, 2nd season is so boring
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Aug 11, 2017 10:52 PM
Oct 2012
That ED song is the jam tho
Sep 12, 2017 1:27 PM

May 2013
That was a very weird finale. The underwater escape of Daryl was interesting and fun but that extended scene with Io was...odd. The protagonist just spends all of the last episode jumping from plane to plane blowing them up? It was nice to see him actually get beaten for once though...Liked seeing him get electrocuted.

I also hated Bianca and she similarly didn't have much to do - if this was a mid point episode then using that long plane hopping scene to have them bonding would have been interesting, but for the finale...Yeah I don't know. Definitely a step down from the first series for me.

The thing that will stick with me the longest is the cool psycho zaku recolour the monks were doing, if that's what it was. All these extraneous plots creeping in are diluting my interest.
Nov 19, 2017 7:03 PM

Mar 2012
Hmm, literally everything about S1 simply just does not exist in S2...an entirely different show altogether. I'm not saying it's terrible, but....the difference between s1 and s2 is easy to sum up, one tries to tell it's own story and the other tries to sell a third season.

Atlas Gundam was honestly a pretty cool design, but lasted an episode before becoming a non-factor.

Where is that defining rivalry from the first season? So much more dialogue in this one, and way less fighting, but less (really hardly any) character development and more unimportant characters that really do nothing of note.

This is one of those things, where a sequel, or any sort of continuation to the original story was not in any way needed. I'd even like to point out that this season detracts from the first by bringing back a should be dead character, but given my favorite Gundam series, that's a difficult point for me to personally argue.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Dec 24, 2017 6:23 PM

Feb 2013
Io has talent. He's still deadly/insane even in a junker mech.

I thought the first "season" was better. 6/10 (above average) for superior action.
BurntJellyDec 24, 2017 6:27 PM
Jun 10, 2019 7:42 AM

Nov 2016
They seriously left us with such a cliffhanger? Fuck.

But good shit in both seasons👌🏻

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 17, 2021 10:27 AM

Feb 2020
Ehhh... That was not nearly as good as the first season. No interesting character moments and way too many loose ends in the story. The music was minimally better.
4/10
Jul 4, 2022 12:16 PM

Jul 2014
A colossal disappointment in comparison to such a strong half. Somehow, despite having four more minutes of runtime to work with in each episode, it felt like these four episodes did far less than the first four managed to while also stripping away basically everything that made the first four interesting. Rather than focusing on the strong rivalry between Daryl and Io, this decided to just introduce a ton of boring new characters and then do nothing interesting with them. And this was all while glossing over key moments to ease the transition between the two seasons like Io escaping from the Zeon prison.

They should have just stopped with the first season rather than making these four tedious episodes.
Sep 10, 2023 5:24 PM

Jan 2012
This has certainly been on of the most interesting and realistic gundam series I've seen. Small details like way they depict there characters and their interactions with each other is really well done. The way pilots have unique interactions with their pit crew before takeoff, get tattoos as a squad, or put small little knick knacks in their cockpits really fleshes out the world of the story. People listen to music together, they grieve their dead. All the small details really make even background characters feel rounded and like people actually live in this world. Really hope this gets a season 3

More topics from this board

» Season 3?

ProxyLain - Nov 19, 2019

2 by Rowd »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:18 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion

Led_Wayline - Apr 28, 2017

28 by Emerald_Raider »»
Aug 23, 2022 1:43 PM

» How many chapters does season 2 go up to?

PinkOni - Jul 17, 2021

4 by momentie »»
Jul 18, 2021 3:53 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

CodeBlazeFate - May 30, 2017

25 by Eyth »»
Nov 5, 2020 12:31 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2017

25 by laughterjones »»
Apr 10, 2018 5:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.