Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 13, 2017 5:02 PM

Oct 2015
I stream everything illegally but I also buy quite a lot of Blu-ray's and manga, so both.
Jul 13, 2017 5:03 PM

Feb 2016
Illegally, 99.9% of the time.

I started out watching legally on Netflix, but eventually I ran through the Netflix library and had nothing to watch and nothing they were adding was really interesting to me.

So, I branched off to the illegal realm and it where I shall stay.

I would give crunchyroll a go but if I'm not mistaken it's pretty much subbed only. I like to watch dubbed if there is a dub available and since there isn't really a universal sub/dub service... illegal for me.

Edit: Oh, I also watched a few on Hulu back when it was free to watch on PC. Yu-Gi-Oh! and Nurarihyon no Mago. Can't recall watching anything else. I heard they have exclusive rights to the dub for Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga (Season 2) though... So I'll have to hope I can find it through other "ways" or just bite and watch on Hulu. Not free anymore though =/

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Jul 13, 2017 5:40 PM
Jul 2011
AstZero said:
VampireXxBrianna said:
It supports the industry.

Can't stress this enough.
No it doesn't.

not neccessarily talking financially. I just think it's more respectful to watch the official/legal release than watch it ripped from someone else. I mean I think we literally ALL watch it illegally, or at least have at least ONCE, but if you have the choice, I say be respectful to the work, watch it in a legal way. There has been VAS/studios/etc begging viewers not to watch their content illegally, I just think we owe them that.
Jul 13, 2017 8:29 PM

Dec 2012
If it's licensed, then legal means. If it's not then other means are required, though pretty much everything I want to see from the new season gets licensed so I don't have to do this often, usually it's only for movies or OVA. Either way the ones I enjoyed a lot get added to my DVD/BD collection once they come out here in the US so even if I pirated it I'll still buy a copy.
KruszerJul 13, 2017 8:33 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 13, 2017 8:35 PM

Aug 2015
Unfortunately I watch anime's illegally because as a high school student I can't afford the price of the original BD or DVD with my monthly allowance... But I do bought some legal manga, and planning to buy some light novel from Japan. (Even thought I CAN'T READ it lol XD.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jul 13, 2017 8:36 PM
EcchiConnoisser

May 2016
I use Crunchy, Hulu, Funimation, and Netflix, and Youtube for some rare ones and old ones. Won't use Anime Strike because of Prime Req.
Jul 13, 2017 8:39 PM

Apr 2017
Illegally watching it on Pirated Transparent Ver.
-HippySnob-Jul 13, 2017 8:43 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 13, 2017 10:00 PM

Jan 2014
I download it ilegally, since there's no licensed anime nor manga in my country.
And that thing is sorta normal around here, almost everyone in my place does it that way.
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Jul 13, 2017 10:04 PM

Oct 2016
half half I guess? XD

The old shows that I want to watch, I usually get it in torrent. But for the seasonal shows, I can watch them in Crunchyroll. The subscription isn't expensive anyway.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Jul 13, 2017 11:29 PM

May 2017
I like my anime like I like my lolis, illegal very legal.
Jul 13, 2017 11:32 PM
Jun 2017
I watch as much stuff legally as is possible without having to fork over cash. I probably watch 20-30% of all my anime illegally.
Jul 14, 2017 12:21 AM

Nov 2009
S-quare22 said:
And you ?

Yarr! I be a pirate all my life, matey!
Copyright sucks.
Jul 14, 2017 12:36 AM

Mar 2016
as much as I want to support the creators I don't see any other point in watching it legally

ᴀ ʙ ɪ ᴅ
no i don't love you, and i never did
Jul 14, 2017 12:39 AM

Mar 2012
At least half of my list is what I've watched legally on Animax, the rest is is what I've watched illegally online. Since the channel doesn't exist in my country anymore, I'll just watch illegally now. I had created a crunchyroll account but they have a lot of regional restrictions so it's pointless.
Jul 14, 2017 12:40 AM
Feb 2017
Ima be real with you, I use mostly illegal websites.
Jul 14, 2017 5:16 AM

Jan 2014
VampireXxBrianna said:
AstZero said:

Can't stress this enough.
No it doesn't.

not neccessarily talking financially. I just think it's more respectful to watch the official/legal release than watch it ripped from someone else. I mean I think we literally ALL watch it illegally, or at least have at least ONCE, but if you have the choice, I say be respectful to the work, watch it in a legal way. There has been VAS/studios/etc begging viewers not to watch their content illegally, I just think we owe them that.

If i wanted to show respect , which i do(anime is a beautiful peace of artwork), i would find a way to support the industry directly or to be more precise the staff directly(because the money that the staff gets is still decided by the higher ups and in reality profits go to them and then they decide the cut that the staff gets but as far as i'm aware of there is literally no way of doing that but if there was i would go out of my way to do it if i had money to spend on it but as things stand i definetly don't). Sorry but let me break it to you.. What you're doing is deluding yourself into believing that you're paying respect to somebody that will never feel that respect being shown. You're giving money off to streaming services, which are pretty much shit, that don't even provide 5% of money for a single episode of an anime and less than 1% for an entire season(12 episodes)...

As for studios begging... We're not the ones they should beg... They should be begging the Japanese government to do something about piracy outside Japan .. But in reality the Japanese government won't do that because Japan doesn't care about anything outside Japan since the outside market doesn't influence the Japanese market. So VAS/studios etc etc are pretty much full of bullshit when they beg for shit like that. I mean fucking Madhouse has enough money to make 2nd/3rd seasons for every single anime they made since they started producing anime that doesn't have a 2nd or a 3rd season... So don't give me that shit.

So no i won't watch anime legally even if i had the choice cuz in the end it doesn't fucking matter if i do or don't and that's a fact for ya mate ;).Cuz it won't affect the industry nor will it feel appreciated cuz appreciation outside Japan isn't really felt if the show doesn't do well in Japan..
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Jul 14, 2017 10:42 AM
Jul 2011
AstZero said:
VampireXxBrianna said:

If i wanted to show respect , which i do(anime is a beautiful peace of artwork), i would find a way to support the industry directly or to be more precise the staff directly(because the money that the staff gets is still decided by the higher ups and in reality profits go to them and then they decide the cut that the staff gets but as far as i'm aware of there is literally no way of doing that but if there was i would go out of my way to do it if i had money to spend on it but as things stand i definetly don't). Sorry but let me break it to you.. What you're doing is deluding yourself into believing that you're paying respect to somebody that will never feel that respect being shown. You're giving money off to streaming services, which are pretty much shit, that don't even provide 5% of money for a single episode of an anime and less than 1% for an entire season(12 episodes)...

As for studios begging... We're not the ones they should beg... They should be begging the Japanese government to do something about piracy outside Japan .. But in reality the Japanese government won't do that because Japan doesn't care about anything outside Japan since the outside market doesn't influence the Japanese market. So VAS/studios etc etc are pretty much full of bullshit when they beg for shit like that. I mean fucking Madhouse has enough money to make 2nd/3rd seasons for every single anime they made since they started producing anime that doesn't have a 2nd or a 3rd season... So don't give me that shit.

So no i won't watch anime legally even if i had the choice cuz in the end it doesn't fucking matter if i do or don't and that's a fact for ya mate ;).Cuz it won't affect the industry nor will it feel appreciated cuz appreciation outside Japan isn't really felt if the show doesn't do well in Japan..

I don't pay money for my services. Did you not read the part where I said you can watch legally without PAYING? that was actually the main point of what I was saying in the beginning. Crunchy is free, VRV is free. both legal, both with just a couple ads (unless you do ad blocker)
Jul 14, 2017 11:10 AM

Jun 2016
I pay for crunchyroll membership and sometimes I watch an airing show on the website if it's available in my country, but I mostly watch anime illegally, unfortunately. But I do buy manga and my favorite anime on Blu-ray's/DVD's so I am supporting it in some way.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jul 14, 2017 11:35 AM

Dec 2015
I'll buy the manga if:
- they're worth it
- or the retailer won't get them without an order
- or it is released in Germany/the USA and not in France.
I'll buy the anime if:
- it's worth it, it's available in France, it exists as DVD, it isn't published by AllTheAnime (I will never pay 80euros for a 2X episodes series just because they cut it in two boxes, sorry Kill la Kill).
If one of the four conditions is missing and I haven't watch it during broadcast (simulcast), I'll get it illegaly. If this is something I really want, I'll download it and put it on a DVD-R (probably going to do it for ConRevo, since nobody wants it in France).
Upps, it also has to not be an adaptation unless it's something different enough (or the manga is impossible to get).

lWhat is VRV? I never met this company on the Internet.

VampireXxBrianna said:
I weigh my options vs how badly I really wanna see the show.

That's a good way to realize that in fact, you don't want/need to watch everything broadcasted in Japan each season; ^^

Punpun3 said:
can't afford to spend money on media since I'm dirt poor

AstZero said:
VampireXxBrianna said:
It supports the industry.

No it doesn't.

Of course, it does. It supports the publishers in your country primarily. Unless you absolutely want to see DVD/BrD of japanese animation disappear from your country, better purchase some.
And indirectly, it helps a bit the producers (so even more indirectly the creators) of other anime. Thanks to pushing your home publishers to buy more publishing rights.
Rei_IIIJul 14, 2017 11:40 AM
Jul 14, 2017 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
I buy what I can and stream the rest..
Jul 14, 2017 11:56 AM
Oct 2016
Unfortunately illegally and I believe there is no one who would be paying for watching anime in my country except if you think watching anime on T.V is not illegal
MujheKyunNikalaJul 14, 2017 12:01 PM
Jul 14, 2017 12:40 PM

Jul 2017
Lol illegally of course. Why pay for something when you can get it without hurting anyone for free?
CreativeNam3Jul 16, 2017 12:20 PM
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Jul 14, 2017 12:52 PM
Sep 2015
S-quare22 said:
Hi everyone .. i am wondering if you guys are watching anime legal or illegal ..
For me i have watched some on crunchyroll and some on illegall sites
Why ? Because crunchyroll does not contain a lot of subbed animes ..
If we enter some accounts , we will find that the marjority had watched more than 400 anime
I mean that they did not watch them all on crunchyroll or on netflix ..

And you ?
I torrent every anime watch. Same for western shit too. I dont use netlix or something like that
Jul 14, 2017 12:58 PM
Sep 2015
[quote=AnimeAddict117]lets be honest...we all stream anime illegally at some point...and most of us probably stream it all the time cause all these anime sites are literally everywhere...[/quote I dont because streaming sucks. Torrenting FTW
Jul 14, 2017 1:03 PM

Oct 2015
Illegal 100% duh..... why? cuz 1 legal steam site doesnt offer all anime, plus all the region blocks so even if i did pay i wouldnt be able to watch em all. So until they can make anime available for all and for a decent price ill stay on the illegal path lel.
Jul 14, 2017 1:18 PM
Sep 2015
I try to watch legally, but I watch many anime series illegally.
I'm broke, so I can't purchase subscriptions from legal streaming sites.
I try to watch with ads on sites like Crunchyroll.

But, the ads are stupidly annoying. Some of them stop working which forces me to refresh the page and I must watch every single ad again. It gets frustrating if it happens several times on the same episode.
I don't know if watching with ads supports the anime industry.
These legal sites don't share info on where ad revenue gets put... it's just unclear.
So, I put on my pirates eyepatch and illegally watch some anime. Argh!

Jul 14, 2017 1:21 PM
Sep 2015
Illegally, for many reasons, but mainly because I'm lazy and doesn't want to spend money where I can avoid to spend it.

I won't even dance around the fact that I am aware that it does hurt creators and that I would prob still illegally stream if my best shows were available in the UK. It's prob selfish, but its very very hard to just start paying for something when you know that you have easy quite good quality access to it for free.

Watch Nichijou
Jul 14, 2017 3:02 PM

Jan 2014
VampireXxBrianna said:
AstZero said:

I don't pay money for my services. Did you not read the part where I said you can watch legally without PAYING? that was actually the main point of what I was saying in the beginning. Crunchy is free, VRV is free. both legal, both with just a couple ads (unless you do ad blocker)

Lmao yes i wouldn't want to pay premium to watch the show in 720p either lmao.
And if i pay a subscription it doesn't mean anything for the industry, and i didn't find Psycho Pass in the library( a pretty popular anime series with good ratings), and i get 480p max.

Yeah i think i'll stick to Kissanime since i know the Japanese won't do jack shit to bring any site down that is hosted outside Japan, cuz they just don't care if you watch legally or illegally as long as you're outside.
AstZeroJul 14, 2017 3:10 PM
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Jul 14, 2017 3:06 PM

Jul 2017
I always watch anime legally to contribute to the animators in japan. We do not want them to starve and they work very hard! If we watch more anime legally than we can watch lots of more good anime. This is why people like hayao miyazaki say that anime is declined because we dont pay enough. If we pay more than we get more good anime. Thats just basic logic.
Jul 14, 2017 3:07 PM

Aug 2012
Hmmm, are you perhaps an undercover cop?
Jul 14, 2017 3:17 PM

Aug 2016
I sometimes do it legally. Like when I'm watching TV on the roku I'll put on crunchyroll (since its the only anime streaming app thats decent on their) but for the most part its illegal use.

Jul 14, 2017 3:17 PM

Jan 2014
Rei366 said:
I'll buy the manga if:
- they're worth it
- or the retailer won't get them without an order
- or it is released in Germany/the USA and not in France.
I'll buy the anime if:
- it's worth it, it's available in France, it exists as DVD, it isn't published by AllTheAnime (I will never pay 80euros for a 2X episodes series just because they cut it in two boxes, sorry Kill la Kill).
If one of the four conditions is missing and I haven't watch it during broadcast (simulcast), I'll get it illegaly. If this is something I really want, I'll download it and put it on a DVD-R (probably going to do it for ConRevo, since nobody wants it in France).
Upps, it also has to not be an adaptation unless it's something different enough (or the manga is impossible to get).

lWhat is VRV? I never met this company on the Internet.

VampireXxBrianna said:
I weigh my options vs how badly I really wanna see the show.

That's a good way to realize that in fact, you don't want/need to watch everything broadcasted in Japan each season; ^^

Punpun3 said:
can't afford to spend money on media since I'm dirt poor

AstZero said:

No it doesn't.

Of course, it does. It supports the publishers in your country primarily. Unless you absolutely want to see DVD/BrD of japanese animation disappear from your country, better purchase some.
And indirectly, it helps a bit the producers (so even more indirectly the creators) of other anime. Thanks to pushing your home publishers to buy more publishing rights.

I was speaking primarily about streaming services. Merch wise i do have some posters and some other merch in my room lol.
Also DVD/BRD aren't the primary income for anime cuz of their high prices, merch is. So no i don't see myself spending 50-100e (Which i will never have the luxury of spending on anime) on DVD/BRD. So i don't care if i never see them in my country or not. The actual money is made on the rights purchase anyways, mostly because you need to make anime related merch that you know people will buy. As for DVD/BRD you jsut hope there are those people that love the anime enough to buy it for that price. So as long as people are buying merch your country publishers will still buy rights... Also anime popularity has been on the rise in my country so all the more reason to buy rights yet again.
Jul 14, 2017 3:18 PM

Oct 2016
I spend more than 500€ each month on merchandise, but i refuse to pay for the streaming services.
Jul 14, 2017 3:23 PM

Mar 2017
You guys must realize that all the anime on KissAnime, GoGoAnime, etc... ARE ALL ILLEGAL. I'm going to be honest and say I watch all of my anime illegally and I don't care. I have Netflix and Hulu, but that doesn't mean the anime I want to watch is located there.
Jul 14, 2017 3:27 PM

Dec 2015
@AstZero I don't see how buying merchandise will incite your publishers to purchase more anime rights.
This works only for things who are already known from your country's people. You don't just see derivative products pop out of nowhere in your local market if the work behind it isn't even known / shown on TV. Or your country is extremely weird.
And even if the discs rights isn't the main share of the producers profit, it's still a share of it. The more it will grow, the more it will be noticed.

Also, no. A TV show discs box is not this expensive unless you live in Japan or Germany.

Also, paying an internet anime broadcaster/publisher will of course sustain its commerce and make it license more shows to show on its platform. Thus giving money to producers circles.

Rei_IIIJul 14, 2017 3:32 PM
Jul 14, 2017 3:33 PM

Oct 2016
Wait what Netflix has anime? If that's the case I should get Netflix
Jul 14, 2017 3:35 PM
Jul 2017
Illegally tbh anime are so easy to find so...
Jul 14, 2017 3:36 PM
Sep 2015
Both anime and manga ilegally. Have never and will never pay.
Jul 14, 2017 3:39 PM

Aug 2016
I have Netflix and access to a Crunchyroll account, so I try and watch everything properly when I can. Not so much to support the industry, but more because it's streamlined and generally the best audiovisual quality available.

There are instances however when a particular series is not licensed by either of these sources that, as such, requires one to use alternative websites.

It's not my fault they didn't license their work properly here. I'm not going to subscribe to each and every service just for one or two series a piece. The moment you start making watching a job, that's the moment I stop caring.

As for manga, it's pretty much the same thing. I actually much prefer owning physical copies of reading material, but if you're not publishing here, what else is one supposed to do? Wait 5-10+ years? Yeah, sure.
Jul 14, 2017 4:11 PM

Jan 2014
illegally

but I have 2,500+ worth of dollars of manga volumes in my room, so I'm not being a complete pirate
Jul 14, 2017 5:13 PM

Aug 2016
Illegally. If I'm going to be a patron of the arts, I would rather ensure that the actual artist is making more than $0.04 to the dollar. I'm not about to waste money on in which a large portion would go to the middlemen websites or publishers.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Jul 14, 2017 5:27 PM
Jul 2018
Illegally, for the most part.

But I will try to watch anime legally (such as on Netflix), if possible, so...
Jul 14, 2017 7:46 PM
Oct 2016
illegally bc i live in a poor post-socialist country, halp
but honestly my family's tv is too shit to have netflix, cr's player is pretty uncomfortable for me and vrv is not even available in my country
license dvds will be overpriced bc of the shipping and buying cheap pirate dvds that are in my town won't help the industry
so... illegally
Jul 14, 2017 7:50 PM
Jun 2015
illegal cuz im a broke fucker and ads give me viruses
Jul 14, 2017 8:01 PM

Feb 2015
I'm all illegal... I'm broke man... I ain't gonna pay for shit if I don't have to
Jul 15, 2017 12:02 AM

Jul 2015
I used to watch anime illegally but now, I still watch it illegally.
Jul 15, 2017 1:54 AM
Nov 2016
both. I'll look on Crunchyroll or AnimeLab before finding it somewhere else.

Jul 15, 2017 2:12 AM
Jul 2018
Crunchyroll has like 3 anime so usually illegal
Jul 15, 2017 2:16 AM

Aug 2016
illegal, every single "legal" site out there that charges is complete garbage with small selection, yes you crunchyroll,amazon,funimation,netflix, people need to stop paying for anime just to feel good about themselves just buy the dvd release if you like it that much... you missing out on like %70 of all anime only watching legally
Jul 15, 2017 3:05 AM

Oct 2013
Both.
I torrent anime and buy DVD's or Blu Rays when I can, Fuck streaming sites that """support""" the industry.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

17 by DesuMaiden »»
38 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - Apr 17

48 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

41 by Zayvex »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 3 hours ago

8 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

21 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.