Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 13, 2017 10:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, I see this series likes to do background storytelling. We already got more of it this episode.

Feels like this show concentrates more on relationship building than I had expected. Mami (the glasses girl) gets a lot of screen time this episode that made me more curious about her character.

Miharu and Mishima has some chemistry although I hope it improves.
Jul 13, 2017 10:32 AM

Nov 2007
Focusing more on SuzuKen's character and class rep girl. The younger brother seeing the two friends fight and misunderstanding as gay are funny.

Yay~ KajiKaji's character next!

26:15 next.
tsubasaloverJul 20, 2017 10:13 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 13, 2017 11:33 AM

Apr 2010
Well a big improvement from last week i enjoyed this episode and was nice too see some bonding between the characters.
And the classrep made her mind a bit clear, she remained a bid vague tho.
Her problem is that she isn't clear enough but she isn't the only character with that problem in this anime judging from the characters i have seen so far.
Jul 13, 2017 12:51 PM

Dec 2014
This anime is so dull..I don't know if it's the characters or the story in general, but it doesn't manage to keep my attention for the whole 20m. The scene where the little brother found the two on the bed was funny though xD reporting to the mother that he was gay wtf also that look on his face
Jul 13, 2017 12:54 PM

Jul 2016
I don't really understand people on this forum sometimes... this is actually a legitly good SoL to me. The male MCs are a bit dense but overall pretty normal for their age - they're not chronic losers who blush at every step like in other anime such as Hajimete, Gamers, or Koi to Uso. And the dialogues in general are much better and much less clichéd.

Sometimes, I'm afraid my fellow weebs are so addicted to panty shots that they no longer care about a normal, genuine story.
Jul 13, 2017 12:57 PM

Jul 2015
I'm actually really enjoying this. Something about the characters and their interactions seem very fun. Reminds me of high school lol. When the class prez shook Suzumura's character's hand... That handshake was one of the cutest things ever
Jul 13, 2017 1:08 PM

Jun 2015
Nothing too amazing happened. Got some backstory for Haruki and he had a talk with Towa. His brother's face when he came into the room was amusing. The relationships are growing. Mami's handshake was cute.
Jul 13, 2017 1:09 PM

Dec 2014
Zarator said:
I don't really understand people on this forum sometimes... this is actually a legitly good SoL to me. The male MCs are a bit dense but overall pretty normal for their age - they're not chronic losers who blush at every step like in other anime such as Hajimete, Gamers, or Koi to Uso. And the dialogues in general are much better and much less clichéd.

Sometimes, I'm afraid my fellow weebs are so addicted to panty shots that they no longer care about a normal, genuine story.

Please, incho and mr. cat' read the mood scream cliche everytime they appear on screen... Mc isn't the most original type of character either; but surely is better than the MCs of the shows you mentioned. I'm not looking for an original story either here, especially with these characters and setting. I like my good sol romance stories like Tsuki, Kimi to Boku, Tanaka-kun (albeit this one was boring at times), etc. Does that mean that I'm addicted to panty shots?
Here animation is below average, voice acting is average, story is average, characters are average. The score atm is 6, for me it's a 5 so far. Will see if things improve moving forward.
Jul 13, 2017 1:16 PM

Aug 2013
A nice episode in my opinion, even though it was a bit dull. It mainly focused on Towa and Mami. The best moment was when Towa was talking to Haruki about Mami was nice. He let his feelings out. That handshake moment was cute.

Anathor said:
The scene where the little brother found the two on the bed was funny though xD reporting to the mother that he was gay wtf also that look on his face

Apart from Mami's handshake, that was the only great moment. Had a good laugh with that.

Jul 13, 2017 1:17 PM

Sep 2015
When your little brother is homophobic :0
Jul 13, 2017 1:42 PM

Sep 2015
Better than the first episode, but there is still something off with this anime. imo the pace is weird, like there is no fluidity in the dialogs between the characters, it feels not natural

anyway I might drop it next episode
Jul 13, 2017 1:52 PM

Jul 2016
Anathor said:

Please, incho and mr. cat' read the mood scream cliche everytime they appear on screen... Mc isn't the most original type of character either; but surely is better than the MCs of the shows you mentioned. I'm not looking for an original story either here, especially with these characters and setting. I like my good sol romance stories like Tsuki, Kimi to Boku, Tanaka-kun (albeit this one was boring at times), etc. Does that mean that I'm addicted to panty shots?
Here animation is below average, voice acting is average, story is average, characters are average. The score atm is 6, for me it's a 5 so far. Will see if things improve moving forward.

I'm sorry if you interpreted it as a personal criticism of your position. It was not meant to be, and I know this show has flaws. But I still think it sure as hell does not deserve its abysmal MAL score - not when travesties like Hajimete no Gal or Koi to Uso are pushing that much higher.

Though I would like to mention that I'm still enjoying this way more than Tsuki ga Kirei. I know, the latter was cute and all, but for the love of Kami-sama I'm tired of anime chars being overly shy and reclusive and Tsuki ga Kirei really pushed that up to eleven (especially with Akane and her anti-stress toy). All I ask for is to watch a show where I see people I can conceivably think of as, you know, people - sorta like I felt when I watched Toradora and other good SoLs. And, in this sense, Konbini Kareshi feels much better than all those other shows. Is it the next Toradora? Ofc not. I've given it 7/10, for crying out loud. But seeing it at 6.19 on MAL, while Koi to Uso and the likes are well above 7 feels ridiculous.
Jul 13, 2017 2:06 PM

Dec 2014
Zarator said:

I'm sorry if you interpreted it as a personal criticism of your position. It was not meant to be, and I know this show has flaws. But I still think it sure as hell does not deserve its abysmal MAL score - not when travesties like Hajimete no Gal or Koi to Uso are pushing that much higher.

Though I would like to mention that I'm still enjoying this way more than Tsuki ga Kirei. I know, the latter was cute and all, but for the love of Kami-sama I'm tired of anime chars being overly shy and reclusive and Tsuki ga Kirei really pushed that up to eleven (especially with Akane and her anti-stress toy). All I ask for is to watch a show where I see people I can conceivably think of as, you know, people - sorta like I felt when I watched Toradora and other good SoLs. And, in this sense, Konbini Kareshi feels much better than all those other shows. Is it the next Toradora? Ofc not. I've given it 7/10, for crying out loud. But seeing it at 6.19 on MAL, while Koi to Uso and the likes are well above 7 feels ridiculous.

Yes I understand your point, which is why I wrote that to clarify that I wasn't criticizing it because it doesn't have panty shots. Also I don't pay attention to MAL's overall scores because they don't make any sense to me most of the time.
As far as Tsuki goes, I found it more relatable. The characters, albeit very shy, still acted like middle schoolers would, not to mention what they went through. The story felt alive and the ost played a big role in setting the mood, as well as the animation for certain scenes (the kiss on the bridge was one of the best scenes in the anime imo). I also personally find Koi to Uso better because of the pace and the story (the governament meddling in their relationships), as well as some of the characters (not MC tho).
Anyway I hope they manage to improve this one; the voice actors they chose had a lot of relevant roles, in anime that I really liked too, so it's probably Studio Pierrot that is dragging it down with the animation/pacing/directing in general.
AnathorJul 13, 2017 2:21 PM
Jul 13, 2017 2:15 PM

Aug 2013
This anime has really nice vibes. I can say with full confidence, that it will be one of the hidden gems of this season. Interactions between characters feels really natural and I can easily relate with them. Soundtrack is pretty well done too. Dunno yet but it could end even better than Nijiiro Days.

Hinata said:
When your little brother is homophobic :0

He deserves a beer.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 13, 2017 2:19 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That scene with the little brother came out of nowhere, was funny as fuck xDD

Also i'm glad that they focused on Honda x Mami, really like them together.
Jul 13, 2017 2:35 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The part where the little brother walked in on them fighting was 100/10 LOL

But yeah, I LOVED everything about this episode and the character interactions were just so right too.....If we continue to get more episodes like this I'm gonna fall in love with this show quick

Other than that, I'm curious to see if we'll have some more focus on the other characters outside of the main 4 because I kinda want to learn more about them and see their relationships flourish too
Jul 13, 2017 2:53 PM

Apr 2016
I just want for this show to have conclusions of those romances. There is lot of couples and only 12 ep. But its original so i have hope, overall it looks like i will enjoy it to the end.
Jul 13, 2017 2:55 PM

Mar 2017
Mishima reminds me of Touji from Peach Girl.

The entire episode was hilarious, not sure why though. Probably something to do with dialogue timing. It was relaxing in a way too.
    have a berry

good day lol
Jul 13, 2017 3:20 PM
Aug 2015
I'm definitely preferring the ship with the class rep. Although, they haven't really explored the other one yet
Jul 13, 2017 4:05 PM

Jun 2017
Is good. Glad this episode isn't rupturing my left eardrum. It was pretty funny when the brother called them gay.
Jul 13, 2017 4:32 PM

May 2015
Well, that was better than the first episode in my opinion.

Jul 13, 2017 8:15 PM

Jan 2014
Better than the first episode, but I'm still not impressed with this show. It's a better comedy than a romance series tbh.

Jul 13, 2017 9:09 PM

Dec 2014
well that went well..I guess the class rep was scared or something... hmmm
Jul 13, 2017 9:12 PM
Jan 2017
I'm glad the show found its footing by building up the relationships between characters in a careful and nuanced manner. The music and the animation are very well-crafted, setting up the atmosphere pretty well. The focus on the episode was between Towa and Mami, but Haruki and Miharu did get their own development as well. Overall, this show is a pleasant experience to watch.
Jul 13, 2017 9:25 PM

Mar 2016
Seemed like a lot of background was pushed onto us... wasn't boring just... plain?

Why the little brother so against love?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2017 11:02 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
tsubasalover said:
Focusing more on SuzuKen's character and class rep girl. The younger brother seeing them fight and misunderstanding as gay are funny.

Wait... that was a misunderstanding? lol Last episode I said I was trying really hard not to ship those two, but this week, I give up. It's just too difficult to avoid. ^_^
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Jul 13, 2017 11:57 PM
Nov 2016
Honestly, I like the relationships between Honda and the class rep more than the relationship between the male MC and his childhood crush.

Honda seems cooler and a little more layered than the male MC and the class rep is pretty cute.
Jul 14, 2017 12:18 AM

Apr 2016
Wait....this anime have 6.20????? Are you fu**ing kidding????? This is miles better than other romance anime... No stupid harems, or love triangles .... Everyone have one person they love....
How is "Hajimete no Gal" or "Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun" rated higher that this anime???

Jul 14, 2017 1:00 AM

Mar 2017
The show is slow paced but I actually really like it. I want to see every step of the way. I'm surprised too by the low score, I get that it's not the typical shoujo anime but right because of that it is good in my opinion. It's pretty close to reality.
Jul 14, 2017 1:24 AM
Jul 2018
Well that was a better episode than the previous one, although it feels rather off a bit at times but its at least trying to get its foot up the alley and around.
joshua10red said:
Wait....this anime have 6.20????? Are you fu**ing kidding????? This is miles better than other romance anime... No stupid harems, or love triangles .... Everyone have one person they love....
How is "Hajimete no Gal" or "Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun" rated higher that this anime???

MAL general ratings man, plus it doesn't really help that not a lot of people dislikes it due to how it introduced itself. I wasn't really fond with it much and I still give it around a 6/10 as well (same rating) for the moment being.

Keppeki Danshi got better for me as well so its on the same score too, as for Hajimete no Gal? Eh, its meh, nothing shit but its not something that I would consider very well either. Just because its just your average ecchi rom-com (which isn't bad in a way).
Jul 14, 2017 4:43 AM
Dec 2016
Seems like they don't do the 1 couple/2eps to make them 6 couples in the end with 12 eps :O

Glad that it focus on the building 'relationship' part before jumping straight to become lovers.

Such a SOL that remind me of RELIFE with Mc friend's ship sailing before the main childhood friend one!

..He should hand her that picturebook ;P
Jul 14, 2017 5:09 AM

Jan 2017
I was happily surprised it somewhat recovered from last week.
I like the Honda/Class rep ship better than the one with the MC too. I hope they perk that one up, if not we still have the remaining cast to meet.
Jul 14, 2017 7:51 AM

Oct 2014
Second ep is a little bit better than first but show is still horibble.
Jul 14, 2017 8:27 AM

Jan 2010
I find this show so boring, but I do like the characters interactions especially Towa and Class rep and Towa and his childhood friend. I love their little banter lmao

But I think I won't continue watching this. This kind of show is just not my cup of tea.
Jul 14, 2017 8:42 AM

Mar 2013
The only redeeming scene of the episode was the little bro's entry and his expression lmao
Jul 14, 2017 9:24 AM

Jun 2013
this was boring as hell
Jul 14, 2017 11:31 AM

Aug 2016
Not really the setting I've expected from this anime, but this episode was indeed very nice. And for the class rep. story: Who isn't getting what here XD Class rep. come one be honest to yourself (that hand"shake" was really cute)
Jul 14, 2017 11:37 AM
Mar 2016

I wonder why is Towa living with in Mishima's house anyway?
Jul 14, 2017 12:02 PM

Feb 2013
I don't know where I laughed more, when I saw the little brother's face or when he shouts that his brother is gay lmaoo
Jul 14, 2017 12:29 PM

Aug 2015
Honestly, the story isn't bad but there's something about the animation that's really just dull... its not very colorful i guess lol
Jul 14, 2017 1:59 PM
Jan 2011
Some of the redeeming points this show has are very rare in the medium, so it deserves some praise.

As many already said, it is the interaction between the characters. To be more concrete: the show understands the concepts of individuality and personal space and present them realistically. So when characters talk you feel like two distinct individuals are talking.

This can be easily noticed in most of the interactions. Characters show clear reaction to being touched, observed, made fun of, helped, troubled and so on. They show signs when their personal space is invaded or touched upon and they pay attention to themselves and others.

This is clearly inherent to the characterization and overall theme.
- The main guy and girl are very sensitive (the dreamer types as the show puts it)
- The president (Mihashi Mami) seems to have a fear of being intimate with someone
- The MC friend (Towa) seems to have a problem recognizing personal space
- There is emphasize on writing a diary/reading books
- Characters often interact indirectly - look at others from distance, reserve their thoughts, e.g., there is a girl watching a boy from a roof, Towa observes Mamiko reading manga from outside the store, the other girl peeks twice into classroom to see what the president guy is doing and he simply returns a smile and so on.
- Remember the girls being noisy in the library?

I could (happily) list dozens of scenes that indicate this. Literally every single character is imbued with recognition of other character's individuality (or lack of thereof).

All in all, there is a lot of observation, indirect communication and introspection in this show, that takes a more realistic type of depiction of characters. It doesn't do it amazingly or anything, but well enough to stand out of the crowd because of its unique characteristic. The show has little else if anything going for it so I understand the lack of interest. But I'd like people to understand that what the show set out to do, it does pretty well.

Ultimately, this is above average intelligent show, although i fear not many can accept that.
sspitJul 15, 2017 5:05 AM
Jul 14, 2017 3:41 PM

Apr 2017
I really can't say that this anime is special is any way. It's boring after all the shoujo anime I've seen. It's just average.
Jul 14, 2017 5:32 PM
Jul 2013
second episode was definitely more enjoyable than the first. i hope it continues that way.

i had to laugh at the scene where the little brother found towa and haruki wrestling. that super unimpressed facial expression, haha.
luxityJul 14, 2017 5:56 PM
Jul 15, 2017 1:05 AM

May 2010
I actually like this one too? Mashiki and Mama (EDIT - I CANT BELIEVE THIS TYPO SO I WILL JUST LEAVE IT AS IT IS. But ye Mami) both are good leads. Mashiki surprised me especially, really breath of fresh air. Honda is kinda annoying but hopefully he will develop and become more bearable. He's already showing signs. And Haruki is kinda okay, hope he develops too which I think he will.

Anyways this is promising. It's not so sparkly but still got charm.
sspit said:
Some of the redeeming points this show has are very rare in the medium, so it deserves some praise.

As many already said, it is the interaction between the characters. To be more concrete: the show understands the concepts of individuality and personal space and present them realistically. So when characters talk you feel like two distinct individuals are talking.

This can be easily noticed in most of the interactions. Characters show clear reaction to being touched, observed, made fun of, helped, troubled and so on. They show signs when their personal space is invaded or touched upon and they pay attention to themselves and others.

This is clearly inherent to the characterization and overall theme.
- The main guy and girl are very sensitive (the dreamer types and the show puts it)
- The president (Mihashi Mami) seems to have a fear of being intimate with someone
- The MC friend (Towa) seems to have a problem recognizing personal space
- There is emphasize on writing a diary/reading books
- Characters often interact indirectly - look at others from distance, reserve their thoughts, e.g., there is a girl watching a boy from a roof, Towa observes Mamiko reading manga from outside the store, the other girl peeks twice into classroom to see what the president guy is doing and he simply returns a smile and so on.
- Remember the girls being noisy in the library?

I could (happily) list dozens of scenes that indicate this. Literally every single character is imbued with recognition of other character's individuality (or lack of thereof).

All in all, there is a lot of observation, indirect communication and introspection in this show, that takes a more realistic type of depiction of characters. It doesn't do it amazingly or anything, but well enough to stand out of the crowd because of its unique characteristic. The show has little else if anything going for it so I understand the lack of interest. But I'd like people to understand that what the show set out to do, it does pretty well.

Ultimately, this is above average intelligent show, although i fear not many can accept that.

This. Thanks for writing this.
TragicRomanceJul 15, 2017 1:32 AM
Jul 15, 2017 5:05 AM
Jan 2011
TragicRomance said:
Anyways this is promising. It's not so sparkly but still got charm.

While I agree there is definite charm and uniqueness to the show, I think it largely destroys its own potential and I'm very skeptical about the rest of the episodes.

I'm really pinning my hopes on secondary characters, because the main four have some large problems:

Mashiki, Miharu is a complete blank and I'm fully confident she will remain as such. She shows (relatively) realistic behavior, but no personality. Waste of time to be honest.

Nakajima, Mikado - Has some potential, but is simply too simple and the show clearly just wants to say: "it's allright to be reserved".

Honda, Towa - One trait character with a problem depicted in an immature and simplistic way. Also annoying. Waste of screen time. The voice acting is a miss, it is forced - despite the actor being good, and completely breaks all the immersion.

Mihashi, Mami - One trait character forced to play a cliche role of a tsundere. The show missed a golden mine for "appeal". I almost never like Kugimiya, Rie's tsundere characters and this show is no exception. Her condition and pairing with Honda Towa sounds ideal on paper, but ... The show is simply forcing her to accept Towa's advances and pretending that it will magically solve all problems. This could work in a standard anime, but the more realistic depictions here are at odds with the entire tsundere archetype. Talk about undermining your own accomplishments...

Im confident the main characters will remain flat, the resolution to their problem will end up incredibly simplistic and secondary characters will have no time to save anything.

I think the only way for the show to not sink itself is for it to concentrate on the character interactions and avoid the trap of "character development" - the last thing we need is to have 'how character X became the way it is' flashbacks forced down our throats and see how much have the characters changed. I think this show compares well to Kuzu no Honkai - its characters were believable, but their actions and interactions were almost retarded - i.e.: the complete opposite of what we have here. If someone could just join the two shows...
sspitJul 15, 2017 5:08 AM
Jul 15, 2017 6:28 AM

Jun 2016
Konbini Kareshi AKA "Try not to doze off while watching this show because it's so fucking boring, and seeing Hiroshi Kamiya as one of the casts is the reason why I'm still watching this".

Fucking hell, maaan.

And is it just me who thinks that this anime's so fucking quiet? Like besides the OP and ED, you can't hear any music AT ALL? Hahahaha!

And where the heck is the romance tag for this shit?

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 15, 2017 6:31 AM

Jun 2016
Anathor said:
This anime is so dull..I don't know if it's the characters or the story in general, but it doesn't manage to keep my attention for the whole 20m. The scene where the little brother found the two on the bed was funny though xD reporting to the mother that he was gay wtf also that look on his face

Definitely the only time I had a reaction while watching this episode.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 15, 2017 7:14 AM

Jul 2006
The animation looked better in this episode than the first one. The episode was nice. Honda is so annoying though.
Jul 15, 2017 4:13 PM

Jan 2015
Still pretty average stuff but I can at least 2x speed it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2017

35 by Fubinn »»
Apr 9, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2017

70 by Ricky16 »»
Sep 11, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2017

33 by Ricky16 »»
Sep 10, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2017

49 by dakota_draws85 »»
May 23, 2023 8:42 AM

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 3, 2017

44 by dakota_draws85 »»
May 20, 2023 8:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.