Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 13, 2017 1:59 AM

Nov 2015
exactly what the title says, it has been one of the most known genres in literature since literature even became a thing so why is it not a genre for anime? certainly there are many anime that are considered "tragedy." It would be way more specific for people who are looking into the genre instead of having to go over pages of 'slice of life" and "drama." Consider it please!
Jul 13, 2017 2:35 AM
Nov 2016
I'd like this implemented aswell, need a bit of tragedy in my life

Jul 13, 2017 2:55 AM

Apr 2016
That's not a very good idea, we them need to add tragedy tag to almost every new seasonal anime, because they are all pure tragedies, not to mention things like Re: Zero.
Jul 13, 2017 3:02 AM

Apr 2016
People want strange things these days ...

(I agree with this but there's indeed a lot of tragedy. Multiple anime will qualify for this)

Greetings from Portugal.
Jul 13, 2017 3:04 AM

Nov 2015
i dont see why. if it fits the description then it needs to be there. Just like any other tag i suppose. unless you are using sarcasm... there is also alot of comedy i dont see the difference for this.
Jul 13, 2017 3:28 AM

Oct 2010
We have this covered under the category of Drama.

MAL could use tags to further specify on the main genres and Tragedy could very well be one, though. Maybe in a similar way to IMDb.
Jul 13, 2017 4:15 AM
Nov 2016
Swagernator said:
That's not a very good idea, we them need to add tragedy tag to almost every new seasonal anime, because they are all pure tragedies, not to mention things like Re: Zero.

Lmao made me chuckle. Well done.

Jul 13, 2017 7:36 AM

Oct 2015
No idea how many anime are there that'd actually deserve a "tragedy" tag in the classic sense, but I would not want MAL to use it, because it's like a spoiler for some of them anime shows.

Just like MAL has no tags for "happy ending", "plot twist", "red herring", "main character dies" (which I do not equal to tragedy) or any such.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 13, 2017 1:06 PM

Nov 2015
BannoBunka_snork said:
No idea how many anime are there that'd actually deserve a "tragedy" tag in the classic sense, but I would not want MAL to use it, because it's like a spoiler for some of them anime shows.

Just like MAL has no tags for "happy ending", "plot twist", "red herring", "main character dies" (which I do not equal to tragedy) or any such.

I meant in a sense how the genres horror and comedy are handled. Like if the show is meant to be sad t has the tragedy tag, if it is meant to be funny then it has the comedy tag.
Jul 13, 2017 1:57 PM

Oct 2014
great idea we need the tragedy genre
Jul 13, 2017 3:20 PM

Feb 2015
Just need the "drama" tag in your anime to know it will be either good or shit. :/
Jul 13, 2017 3:26 PM

Jun 2008
People will for sure abuse this
Jul 13, 2017 5:33 PM
Jul 2017
this is a terrible idea as it inherently spoils many series' conclusions
Jul 14, 2017 4:33 AM

Nov 2014
Drama tag is more than enough.
The tragedy tag would be a huge spoiler. This is No.1 reason why it won't/shouldn't be implemented.
Jul 14, 2017 9:33 AM

Oct 2015
Amazing_Flapples said:

I meant in a sense how the genres horror and comedy are handled. Like if the show is meant to be sad t has the tragedy tag, if it is meant to be funny then it has the comedy tag.

I thought I'd give an example show where such tag could apply, but where I would consider it an evil spoiler - but the ones that came to my mind, you have not (yet) watched them, so I will not write them out here.

Which in itself may be an example for how such tag may overlap with "spoiler". :D
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 16, 2017 6:10 PM
Jul 2017
I don't see why not. I mean having a wide variety of genres would only make searching for anime easier.
Jul 17, 2017 11:45 AM

Oct 2015
Katrium said:
I don't see why not. I mean having a wide variety of genres would only make searching for anime easier.

To me the thing why not is that MAL's tags are always there, always visible.

It's not like on other sites where you have to click "(browse) tags", ("show more tags"), "show all tags" and then pick one of them 100s of tags - everyone who does that asked for it, they are OK with the tags they chose being also spoilers.
But on MAL such spoiler-ful tag would be in everyone's face, all the time, that's why it's different.
Jul 17, 2017 2:27 PM

Dec 2015
BannoBunka_snork said:

Tragedy is not spoiling anything if it's pasted on the right works. For something to be a tragedy, it needs to be more than any kind of story concluding on a "sad" note.

A tragedy has the "hero" comitting something (supposedly) terrible (often thanks to a pulsion) then being "rewarded" for it negatively, ultimately leading to his demise.
I doubt a lot of TV shows are build following a tragedy requirement.

Again, tragedy isn't "a sad story" or "a story with a sad resolution".

Jul 17, 2017 6:23 PM

Oct 2015
I know what you're referring to, but I am sure the tag would be applied in a broader sense - and that'd be somewhat fine with me, it's neither Ancient Greece nor 19th century anymore.

But, some (many?) people would still understand a tragedy tag as a "sad story" tag, or as a "serious business" tag, no matter if it wasn't meant that way, and for those anime that then do end with death, or loss of some kind, it then would be spoiler-like.

So here's what happens: anidb's tragedy tag, see the number of entries.

And here's an example of a series where I do see the tragedy tag being spoiler-ish for

Oddly enough, here on MAL it for whatever reasons is tagged comedy.

BannoBunka_snorkJul 17, 2017 6:27 PM
Jul 18, 2017 2:55 AM

Oct 2013
Forreal, Tragedy is the only worthwhile genre
Jul 18, 2017 6:17 AM

Jan 2017
isn't drama most of time tragidy
Jul 18, 2017 8:16 AM

Jun 2014
Well, ANN uses the Tragedy genre, so it wouldn't hurt being here as well.

And no, "drama" has absolutely nothing to do with tragedy. There's lots of drama Anime with no tragedy at all.

Jul 25, 2017 5:53 AM

Jan 2010
I'm more surprised with the facts that this genre is absent. I mean, come on, why isn't this genre available. For a majority of the readers, it's important to know if the series is a tragedy. Then you know on beforehand if the series will end very badly. I really don't like tragedies, it's the only genre where the main character dies or everyones die. To many people die in tragedies.
Jul 25, 2017 11:18 AM
Jul 2018
Doesn't it will be spoiler?

Jul 25, 2017 11:21 AM

Jun 2016
Zephaas said:
I'd like this implemented aswell, need a bit of tragedy in my life

There is no such thing as upvote or like in the MAL forum right?

UPVOTE
Jul 25, 2017 5:15 PM

Jan 2016
Please do add the Tragedy Genre, that would be amazing!
Jul 25, 2017 6:45 PM

Oct 2015
I agree with this. "Drama" doesn't mean shit these days.
Sep 1, 2017 7:42 AM
Jul 2018
i totally agree with u OP
drama≠tragedy idk why MAL thinks this way :/
removed-userSep 1, 2017 7:51 AM
Aug 10, 2018 3:36 PM
Mar 2015
UnoPuntoCinco said:
Forreal, Tragedy is the only worthwhile genre

Pretty much.
Aug 10, 2018 3:37 PM

Apr 2017
Swagernator said:

ok this is your best post
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Aug 10, 2018 3:37 PM

Feb 2016
Replace "tragedy" with "edginess" because that's all anime has.
Aug 12, 2018 5:50 PM

Jan 2017
Aquamirror said:
Replace "tragedy" with "edginess" because that's all anime has.

Idk, have you seen 'Monster'? There are definitely strong elements of Tragedy in it, and its not at all 'edgy'.

Aug 18, 2018 4:15 AM

Jun 2011
Tragedy is a legit genre should be added.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 29, 2018 4:55 AM

Jan 2017
I agree, 'Tragedy' as a genre would be cool if implemented.
BAD VIBES FOREVER 💔
Oct 11, 2021 7:50 PM
Nov 2012
jal90 said:

MAL could use tags to further specify on the main genres and Tragedy could very well be one, though. Maybe in a similar way to IMDb.

Was sure I had seen a tragedy tag before, and trying to filter with it was wondering where it went. Googling where it went led me here (apparently I was wrong about its existence), where I learn "drama" is synonymous on MAL (aka any drama-tagged show is sad in some way)... Ok, so I filtered the seasonal animes with it, and TIL that Bakarina (otome destruction flag) is a sad show? Wat? I must have slept while I watched it, cause what I saw was *very* far removed from any form of tragedy?
Oct 13, 2021 8:15 AM
Aug 2011
feha said:
jal90 said:

Was sure I had seen a tragedy tag before, and trying to filter with it was wondering where it went. Googling where it went led me here (apparently I was wrong about its existence), where I learn "drama" is synonymous on MAL (aka any drama-tagged show is sad in some way)... Ok, so I filtered the seasonal animes with it, and TIL that Bakarina (otome destruction flag) is a sad show? Wat? I must have slept while I watched it, cause what I saw was *very* far removed from any form of tragedy?

Drama includes tragedy but that doesn't mean drama IS tragedy. The origin of drama is from acting: it means everything from comedy to tragedy, which are called the "two masks of drama" traditionally.

Look at IMDB for a good reference point for suitable genres. there is no "tragedy" genre there. And the good reason is because "tragedy" is about how something ENDS, so including that tag would be an automatic plot spoiler.

As for what "drama" means in the context of both IMDB and MAL, the way it's actually used is best summed up as "human drama". That is, the plot is moved forward due to interpersonal relationships or conflicts, rather than strictly by action or events. So a story about two bests friends coming of age is "drama" because those things are important to the plot, whereas Indiana Jones isn't "drama", because his side-story romance is basically not a plot driver.
cipheronOct 13, 2021 8:52 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
6 hours ago

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.