Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jul 12, 2017 3:23 PM
Am I the only one who think FMA 2003 was better than FMA:Brotherhood?
Don't get me wrong, Brotherhood was the shit, but I still prefer FMA 2003. My sister and I watched it simultaneously and when the plot was the same, I like how FMA was more serious about the whole thing, there were less silly moments all the time and when the plot split, my sister dropped Brotherhood. While I think this was an exaggerate move, overall I enjoyed 2003 slightly better.

Jul 12, 2017 3:25 PM

Brotherhood is wayy better than 03. Deal with it.

Jul 12, 2017 3:27 PM

03 is wayy better than Brotherhood. Deal with it.

Brotherhood is waaaaaayy better than 03. Deal with it.

Both are just whatever.

Jul 12, 2017 3:36 PM

Just say that they are both good in there own different ways. But the manga is better than both.
Watch GoatJesus's YT video on the entire franchise. Kenshin is a better shounen than FMA/B

Jul 12, 2017 3:50 PM
I don't think 03 is better by miles but it still is imo and I was quite surprised to see Brotherhood getting all the love.
Really? I admit I've never read the manga

Jul 12, 2017 3:51 PM
Konakana said:
Both are just whatever.

Out of curiosity if FMA is whatever, what manga/anime do you like? o_0

Jul 12, 2017 3:53 PM

AlexCaneElric said:
Konakana said:
Both are just whatever.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Jul 12, 2017 3:55 PM

mehmehperson said:
Just say that they are both good in there own different ways. But the manga is better than both.
Watch GoatJesus's YT video on the entire franchise. Kenshin is a better shounen than FMA/B

Manga is better i agree!

Jul 12, 2017 3:56 PM
Konakana said:
AlexCaneElric said:

It's a movie tho isn't it? I don't really compare movie to anime series

Jul 12, 2017 3:58 PM

AlexCaneElric said:
Konakana said:

It's a movie tho isn't it? I don't really compare movie to anime series

I mean the manga which is infinitely stronger than the movie overall.

Jul 12, 2017 3:58 PM
V
mehmehperson said:
. Kenshin is a better shounen than FMA/B
There are indeed a few shounens that are better than FMA:B, but there's plenty of shounens that are better than Kenshin.

Brotherhood gets a lot of love because the story is more fulfilling in the end. The FMA 03 story (excluding The Conqueror of Shamballa) doesn't resonate as well with the majority.

Jul 12, 2017 4:03 PM
GreenSoap said:
V
mehmehperson said:
. Kenshin is a better shounen than FMA/B
There are indeed a few shounens that are better than FMA:B, but there's plenty of shounens that are better than Kenshin.

Brotherhood gets a lot of love because the story is more fulfilling in the end. The FMA 03 story (excluding The Conqueror of Shamballa) doesn't resonate as well with the majority.

Yes it's true that the end felt more complete in Brotherhood but still.
Tbh I quite dislike The Conqueror of Shalballa I just act like it didn't happen

Jul 12, 2017 4:17 PM
Chocobo

Haven't watched FMA (2003) but I thought Brotherhood was the better one based off the whole love/hate behind FMA.

I thought FMA didn't really follow the manga or something and got decimated by fans for that very reason whereas FMA:B followed it to the letter and was fine.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it actually more like DBZ vs DBZ Kai (Essentially same, just skips all the filler).

Jul 12, 2017 4:20 PM
RyanEsau said:
Haven't watched FMA (2003) but I thought Brotherhood was the better one based off the whole love/hate behind FMA.

I thought FMA didn't really follow the manga or something and got decimated by fans for that very reason whereas FMA:B followed it to the letter and was fine.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it actually more like DBZ vs DBZ Kai (Essentially same, just skips all the filler).

Nope, I haven't read the manga but I know that Brotherhood is supposed to be the manga version while 2003 is more of an "original" anime. The plot is the same at first but then it changes

Jul 17, 2017 11:58 AM

FMA 2003 took itself seriously and ventured into places Brotherhood wouldn't dare to. OST, atmosphere and art direction were all top shelf. Hughes and Nina were a trillion times more impactful and I'd dare say even a few of the mains like Edward and Izumi were better portrayed in some aspects....

....however, looking back, alot of it's cast felt too superflous and disposable, whereas Brotherhood gave each and every one of it's characters a purpose. Greed and Kimblee were offed way too soon and never had a chance to properly shine. Winry never got to properly confront her parent's killer and her character arc seemed half-assed because of it. Some of the best characters (Olivia and Ling) never even saw the light of day.
There's also the issue of the ending. The parallel world stuff was really interesting, but it was introduced far too late into the story and didn't receive proper buildup. Moreover, it didn't seem to fulfill any thematic purpose. It was just there for shock factor. The Gate and Truth in Brotherhood served to push forward the themes of the series, that of human folly and arrogance. They had a clear, defined purpose.
Idk I just feel Arakawa overall put more thought into her story than the 2003 writers (which isn't to say they did a bad job)

━━━━ ✿ ━━━━
✮・゚“мy ғavorιтe way тo вlow oғғ ѕтeaм ・゚✮
✮・゚ ιѕ тo ѕιng oвnoхιoυѕly loυd ιn тнe ѕнower” ・゚✮

━━━━ ✿ ━━━━

Jul 17, 2017 6:38 PM
Both series did some things better than the other, I think. For instance, I believe FMA 03's take on the Homunculi is better than what FMAB did. 03 also did more with Hughes and Nina, and made their fates more impactful, which stuck with us for the remainder of the series.

On the flip side, Greed and Kimblee (don't know how to spell his name) were far better characters in FMAB, as well as Scar, I dare say. In fact, a lot of side characters were given more depth to them as people than in FMA 03, barring Hughes and Nina. I like FMAB's ending better, myself.

Jul 18, 2017 10:25 AM

Brotherhood is definitely superior, but that doesn't change the fact that '03 is amazing in its own right.
FMAB = 10/10, #1 all time for me
FMA '03 = 9/10
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.

Jul 19, 2017 6:08 AM

Both are awesome but brotherhood having God level quality of ops it's greatest for me

Jul 26, 2017 7:19 PM
dude.... FMA in all forms is like the most superior anime/manga ever, so as long as you can admit that, i like you. end of story.

Jul 31, 2017 6:42 AM

I'd definitely have to say Broterhood is better than FMA.. Just something about the art style from 03 is putting me off and making me cringe if I'm honest

Aug 19, 2017 11:15 PM

I used to think a lot like this... that is before I gave Brotherhood a chance. While I'll admit Brotherhood has its flaws, such as the rushed episodes at the beginning, I think it still managed to tell a better story over all. I never EVER wanted to admit that because it took me YEARS to bother getting around to Brotherhood, I condemned it before I even saw it I was that attached to the first series. It was... a little crazy to say the least. Both have their pros and cons for sure, like the first FMA takes itself a little more seriously and does a fantastic job of following the manga in the first 16 episodes or so. However, it does lack some really enjoyable characters that you only get from Brotherhood. I can still watch and enjoy both, but I won't lie most of my enjoyment of the first series comes from the nostalgia it brings back. Just remembering how much I loved it and my deep attachment to it way back in the day drives me more than anything. Brotherhood I'll rewatch more purely for the entertainment value and attachment to the characters that are developed.

Aug 20, 2017 10:46 AM
I would've liked FMA better if it had been completed like Brotherhood. I think the first one had a better story but Brotherhood has won on everything else.
The signature was removed as it was too awesome for mortals to live through.It has already destroyed 35 super computers . We have to make sure it is not used for serial killings and mass-murders.Please don't use words that can kill the mortals by it's awesomeness.

Aug 20, 2017 10:58 AM

I adore the Brotherhood version. It's one of my favorite Animes of all time and I would rewatch it anytime because it has such a amazing concept. I've watched like 25-30 episodes of FMA and I haven't finished it yet. I do really like it but I doesn't feel completed me.
But still... I don't think it's really that fair to compare them with each other. FMA came out 2003 and the Manga wasn't even finished at that time.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll

Aug 20, 2017 11:05 AM

The original FMA was great, the story was different and more complex than brotherhood, but i didnt like the ending, and the movie to wrap things up simply sucked in my eyes (even hitler got involved, wtf).

Brotherhood had it all, great character development, a great story, the homunculus and father were great, and it had one of the best endings i've seen in any anime so far. So ye, i prefer brotherhood.

Aug 20, 2017 11:26 AM
Kotori❤Kanbe

I haven't seen '03 but I'm sure it'll be better than brotherhood
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. https://discord.gg/rRn6Jy3 if u want me to face reveal ask in pm

Aug 24, 2017 7:42 AM

Manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brotherhood>2003

Nov 4, 2017 12:54 AM

FMA:B is an anime masterpiece while FMA tried to be and failed with that weird ending, plus some decisions. Yeah, the '03 version have some interesting ideas but at the end of the day, the esence of the story that Hiromu Arakawa's tried to portray are all in the Brotherhood version, that's why it's better.

Nov 4, 2017 1:06 AM

Varete7 said:
Manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brotherhood>2003
Yeah, no. The manga is superior, but only by a fraction.

Nov 4, 2017 1:14 AM

Yes you are op. Be thankful of that fact.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017

Nov 8, 2017 5:30 AM

ziggy_Z said:

Yeah I was exaggerating. But remember:
- The first volumes of manga were so rushed
- CGI Envy dragon
- OST inferior to 2003
- Bad animation in some parts
- That ugly voice in the middle of episodes that says: Fullmetal Alchemist

Nov 9, 2017 9:46 AM
the comic was way better. Deal with it

Nov 9, 2017 12:15 PM

Varete7 said:
ziggy_Z said:

That ugly voice in the middle of episodes that says: Fullmetal Alchemist

That was like the best part of every episode ;)

Nov 9, 2017 12:48 PM

What were you thinking having your own opinion? Didn't you know there are right and wrong opinions on MAL?

Nov 9, 2017 12:58 PM

Brotherhood is really not good, honestly.

Nov 9, 2017 1:45 PM

"Am I the only one?" There are like 8 billion people on this planet, u must be the only one who has that opinion right?

Nov 11, 2017 3:33 AM

JonasTheJay said:
Varete7 said:

That ugly voice in the middle of episodes that says: Fullmetal Alchemist

That was like the best part of every episode ;)
This is a fact of life.

Nov 14, 2017 9:13 PM
Brotherhood hands down. No contest

Nov 14, 2017 9:48 PM

I personally prefer Brotherhood, partly because I just didn't like how '03 ended, but it was still very good in a lot of areas. For example, while Brotherhood's Sloth fits the sin's definition more, '03's Sloth made for a very emotional plot line. Also Brotherhood's first chunk of episodes are questionably paced and arranged. So I can definitely see why some would prefer '03 over Brotherhood.

░░░░▒▒▓▓█ My List █▓▓▒▒░░░░
░▒▓█ Favorite Anime OST █▓▒░
░░▒▓█ Favorite Novel █▓▒░░
░░▒▓█ Favorite Anime █▓▒░░

Nov 14, 2017 9:52 PM

The original was alright, though the sequel movie was crap. Brotherhood was just better imo