Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jul 12, 2017 12:13 PM

Jun 2013
it wasn't that bad it was okay
Jul 12, 2017 12:29 PM

Jul 2014
why did they have an eyecatch after, like, every scene?

putting that aside, this was meh at best. too many contrived coincidences happening in the same episode. oh, he doesn't have any money? let's have the first person he meets a fashion fanatic who will pay a considerable amount for his clothes. oh, he's gonna fight some fools? let's make him GENERICALLY OP for no reason. oh, he can't find the inn he was looking for? well the girls her saved just so happens to be staying at that exact same inn!

the way i see it for this specific premise, you can go about it in 2 different ways. one, make it a balls-to-the-walls crazy comedy where his smartphone will be influencing the jokes and jests. two, make it a character-driven drama, where a man who died was transported to a different world unknown to him, with his smartphone being the last thread he clings on to remind him of the life he once led.

instead we have this run-of-the-mill 2010s show with early 2000s production value.
And yes, I meant that.
--------------------------------------
Sukasuka Discord server, also home to Orlandri Translation Company, who are planning to translate Sukasuka and Sukamoka:
https://discord.gg/xXTncqJ
Do join if it interests you.
Jul 12, 2017 2:18 PM

Aug 2016
Well that was dumb.

It's obvious that the studio saw the success of shows like Konosuba last year and are trying to cash in on it. Except it lacks the wacky characters, quirky animation, or just any of the charm konosuba has.

Everyone is just a normie. That should be the tagline for this show. "Konosuba with normies"
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Jul 12, 2017 3:44 PM
Aug 2014
Loved it already even though its kind of a generic Konosuba. But since no season 3 has been announced yet, this will have to do. Looking forward to future episodes
Jul 12, 2017 4:28 PM

Nov 2016
An amazing and an intriguing first episode !! I LOVEEEE the concept of this story it's really awesome and it's different and that's the best thing , I liked Touya's character a loottt , He's calm strong handsome and a pure shounen xD , He does look older than 15 tho .. The Silhoueska twins are pretty cute too <3 , I Love Linze more tho <3 <3 ... Anyways , I enjoyed the first episode and i have a feeling that it's going to enter my fav animes for this summer <3 <3 , I want this to be 24 episodes or more because i really enjoyed watching the first episode , It has a really great vibe to it <3 <3 Soo yea I'm ready and hyped for more , Looking Forward !!!!
Jul 12, 2017 4:47 PM

Nov 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
I can't find my original comment (damn internet connection), but I don't recall mentioning anything about my issue with this ep being "world building".
Problems that arise early on from anime (non-existent animation, boring dialogue, 0 hints of conflict, gary stu protagonist, etc) may reduce, but still are very prevelant later on.

Your original comment was quoted in my previous post... besides your original comment just quoted that I said this episode was world building and it is too early to judge, then said "Your point?"

I don't disagree with you. I see a likelihood the show might crash, but it is too early to tell. Animation might ramp up, dialogue can be more expressive when the characters open up to the main character, it's way to early for "conflict" and while the main character seems gifted he has no mastery of any form of magic. Let's just hope that this anime addresses my concerns and will become a decent anime moving forward.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jul 12, 2017 5:31 PM

Dec 2009
I read the really bad reviews before watching this, so I thought I wouldn't like it but surprisingly I do xD I mean, I'm a girl so I wouldn't know how a guy rates anime but this show is surprisingly fun. Brainless comedy, that's what I look for in a harem with a silly name like this one ^O^

But then again, I'm someone who doesn't really enjoy really painful shows (like Re:Zero, I had to wait until it finished airing before watching it because of the cliffhangers) unless I'm in a masochistic mood which almost never happens xD I mean, Clannad made me cry buckets and I never want to repeat that painful experience again.

This show definitely isn't for someone who enjoys serious action. I mean it starts off with a really comedic lighthearted BGM and GOD IS ON HIS PHONE CONTACTS,... what on earth.. but that is hilarious and wacky, I love it. Can't wait for the next episode (or maybe I should wait until it finishes airing to marathon it!)
Jul 12, 2017 7:22 PM
May 2013
terrible. its just recycled trash.

they could have at least built everything up and then reveal all his OPness 1 by one, but they just threw all that shit out there.

baaaad
Jul 12, 2017 7:42 PM

Jan 2013
It was a pretty nice start, i hope they develop the main character xD
This is basically "that moment when you start a new game on a new server and you're already at maximum level" hahah
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jul 12, 2017 7:58 PM
Sep 2016
Well um unlike most i actually liked this episode/anime so far. I also thought the ice cream scene was cool.
Jul 12, 2017 8:26 PM

Oct 2008
nice fun show!
having a smartphone that has wifi network connection granted by the God and magic to recharge the battery granted also by God is quite convenient!
also having all 7 elements granted by god is extremely convenient and would annihilate the balance of this isekai!
2nd season would be: Isekai wa Phablet to Tomo ni.
3rd season would be: Isekai wa Tablet to Tomo ni.
4th season would be: Isekai wa VR to Tomo ni.
5th season would be: Isekai wa Holographic 4D to Tomo ni.
LOLOLOZ!
4/5.

Jul 12, 2017 8:27 PM

May 2017
Naimi_Miyamoto said:
DefyingMadness said:
The main character of this show makes Kirito look well written. LOL

Kirito IS a well written character......only in Alicization tho
Askorti said:
DefyingMadness said:
The main character of this show makes Kirito look well written. LOL

Because Kirito is actually quite well written. Especially later on.

Saying Kirito is well written is basically saying SAO is a great anime

Wasted potential first off, overrated, horrible love story, should not have tried to be a harem, crappy dialogue, glorifying overpowered protagonist gives the show no sense of danger, terrible fight direction, wasted animation budget, unnecessary fan service, poor dub, poor sub, stole VRMMORPG approach from .hack and even made it horrible, many many many plot holes

Alright. The guy who made it has never experienced love or played games ever in his life, progressively gets worse, very bad ending of SAO season 1 that can be seen as cliche and very poorly executed, fans just make it all the worse, unnecessary side stories, detestable characters which are either bland or just flat out annoying, did I mention how bad the plot is? Oh I did. I just can't help how bad it is and how bad it's executed. The beater concept is actually pretty hilarious, tries to be good, generic antagonists

TL;DR: Episode 1 was alright
Episodes 2-end of Aincrad Arc were meh-bad as it went on
ALO was obviously total shit
S2 was better than s1 but still shit
Jul 12, 2017 8:33 PM

Nov 2011
This is so generic, its painful. Everything was handed down to the MC. He don't even need smartphone since apparently he can do everything.

Jul 12, 2017 11:36 PM
Jan 2016
seconds_to_dere said:
Naimi_Miyamoto said:

Kirito IS a well written character......only in Alicization tho
Askorti said:

Because Kirito is actually quite well written. Especially later on.

Wasted potential first off, overrated, horrible love story, should not have tried to be a harem, crappy dialogue, glorifying overpowered protagonist gives the show no sense of danger, terrible fight direction, wasted animation budget, unnecessary fan service, poor dub, poor sub, stole VRMMORPG approach from .hack and even made it horrible, many many many plot holes

Alright. The guy who made it has never experienced love or played games ever in his life, progressively gets worse, very bad ending of SAO season 1 that can be seen as cliche and very poorly executed, fans just make it all the worse, unnecessary side stories, detestable characters which are either bland or just flat out annoying, did I mention how bad the plot is? Oh I did. I just can't help how bad it is and how bad it's executed. The beater concept is actually pretty hilarious, tries to be good, generic antagonists

SAO is a pretty good anime. Maybe not great, but above average for sure.
And how can it be overrated, when the majority of the community keeps sh*tting on it like it's the spawn of satan himself?
The love story is, in my opinion, actually one the better side for the very fact that it actually has some sort of progression unlike most other anime. SAO is one of the few series where the MC gets a girl and they are together for any length of time before the end of the series. It doesn't cocktease you, it gives it to you straight. How many "harem" LN protagonists actually get a girl before the end of the story? And it's not even a real harem. In a proper harem the girls fight over the MC and vie for his attention and love. There's none of that here, even though the girls fall in love with him, they know right away that there's no competition here and they simply become his friends. And there's no romantic tension afterwards, no drama, nothing. They move on.
You would have to elaborate on "crappy dialogue". It's not a a valid argument if you don't back it up somehow.
Kirito is not that OP. In every single arc he needs someone's help to actually win the fights that matter. Also, him being strong is an integral part of the story. He's not strong just because, it's supposed to make a point about what strength is.
And again, you throw around meaningless phrases. Back your words up man!
And on fanservice. It is always unnecessary. How often does fanservice actually mean anything to the plot? And it's not like there's a particularly amount of it either. A few shots of overly tight pants, a shower scene, your standard LN adaptation fare. If anything, I would say it's fairly tame in comparison to mot series.
Please, tell me about the plot holes in detain. Because, AGAIN, you're just throwing around meaningless phrases and not arguments.

If you ask me, you sound like your typical SAO basher who only watched it to be able to piss on it because he's heard how awful it is. Or started it with god knows how high expectations and was disappointed that it didn't live up to his lofty standards.
Jul 12, 2017 11:52 PM

May 2016
And I thinking that KonoSuba had finished lol

Well... I'm happy now
『  』
Jul 13, 2017 12:27 AM

May 2017
Askorti said:
seconds_to_dere said:

And how can it be overrated, when the majority of the community keeps sh*tting on it like it's the spawn of satan himself?
The love story is, in my opinion, actually one the better side for the very fact that it actually has some sort of progression unlike most other anime. SAO is one of the few series where the MC gets a girl and they are together for any length of time before the end of the series. It doesn't cocktease you, it gives it to you straight. How many "harem" LN protagonists actually get a girl before the end of the story? And it's not even a real harem. In a proper harem the girls fight over the MC and vie for his attention and love. There's none of that here, even though the girls fall in love with him, they know right away that there's no competition here and they simply become his friends. And there's no romantic tension afterwards, no drama, nothing. They move on.
You would have to elaborate on "crappy dialogue". It's not a a valid argument if you don't back it up somehow.
Kirito is not that OP. In every single arc he needs someone's help to actually win the fights that matter. Also, him being strong is an integral part of the story. He's not strong just because, it's supposed to make a point about what strength is.
And on fanservice. It is always unnecessary. How often does fanservice actually mean anything to the plot? And it's not like there's a particularly amount of it either. A few shots of overly tight pants, a shower scene, your standard LN adaptation fare. If anything, I would say it's fairly tame in comparison to mot series.
Please, tell me about the plot holes in detain. Because, AGAIN, you're just throwing around meaningless phrases and not arguments.

If you ask me, you sound like your typical SAO basher who only watched it to be able to piss on it because he's heard how awful it is. Or started it with god knows how high expectations and was disappointed that it didn't live up to his lofty standards.

You should hear how you sound like defending SAO like a true filthy casual of a cancerous fanbase

I almost forgot to mention it's also a plot armor galore lol

Pulling a hax and beating Kayaba even though he already vanished, but somehow returned and stabbed Kayaba what a load of BS

And becoming a GM in the end logging in Kayaba's account, now that's some dues ex machina garbage right there

Keep lying to yourself Askorti, like I said fans like you just make it all the worse
Jul 13, 2017 12:43 AM
Nov 2016
BurningSpirit said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
I can't find my original comment (damn internet connection), but I don't recall mentioning anything about my issue with this ep being "world building".
Problems that arise early on from anime (non-existent animation, boring dialogue, 0 hints of conflict, gary stu protagonist, etc) may reduce, but still are very prevelant later on.

Your original comment was quoted in my previous post... besides your original comment just quoted that I said this episode was world building and it is too early to judge, then said "Your point?"

I don't disagree with you. I see a likelihood the show might crash, but it is too early to tell. Animation might ramp up, dialogue can be more expressive when the characters open up to the main character, it's way to early for "conflict" and while the main character seems gifted he has no mastery of any form of magic. Let's just hope that this anime addresses my concerns and will become a decent anime moving forward.

-"Way too early for conflict"
I have never seen any anime that has an actual conflict throughout (just check my list to see how much of a weeb I am), no matter how slow, that doesn't HINT, at a conflict in the 1st ep.
For crying out loud, it takes several eps in Monster for Tenma to actually go after Johan, but even in the 1st ep, the conflict between Tenma's ideals vs what his greedy asshole hospital boss wants, alludes to an actual conflict that gives rise to the real conflict.
Hell, I read the synopsis for this anime on wikipedia, and none of it said anything about a conflict. Either there isn't going to be a major conflict, or it's going to take forever, for one to appear.

-"dialogue can be more expressive when the characters open up to the main character"
My problem with the dialogue, is how perfectly safe it all feels: none of the characters question each other. It's all completely generic.
For as much as I hate Re: Zero, I can appreciate how in its 1st ep, the heroine had a, "who dafaq are you?" reaction to the MC. As in, their exchanges, didn't feel remotely mechanical.

-"Animation might ramp up"
When does animation "ramp up" as an anime progresses? Maybe I'd believe it if there hadn't been a fight scene yet, but think about it for a sec, this is the FIRST ep, right? The one where studios know they gotta put in all the effort. The first fight scene we get...are 3 shots of stilted images. While the rest of the whole ep consists of nothing but stills, with the occasional head tilt, which people like Digibro, Mother's Basement, and countless people on MAL, will call "animation".
My point is, the staff have already went, "f*ck it, we know it's crap, our audience knows it's crap, why should we put in actual effort? This ain't no Mob Psycho 100"
Either you guys are too optimistic, or I'm too pessimistic.

-"Doesn't have any mastery of magic"
That is a perfect point, and easily sets up the MC being a jack-of-all-trades but a master-of-none, actually. How did that not occur to me?

-"I don't disagree with you"
No, we clearly disagree on the likelihood of this anime sucking.
You seem to think there's a 50% chance (Just guessing, based on your responses) for the anime not to suck,
While I think the chances of it NOT sucking are like...10%.

Summary: I have 0 doubt this anime will NOT be great. Because I have never seen a great anime, that did not start off on a remarkable episode (yes, even Berserk and Fate/Zero)
Jul 13, 2017 12:52 AM
Jan 2016
seconds_to_dere said:
Askorti said:

You should hear how you sound like defending SAO like a true filthy casual of a cancerous fanbase

Pulling a hax and beating Kayaba even though he already vanished, but somehow returned and stabbed Kayaba what a load of BS

And becoming a GM in the end logging in Kayaba's account, now that's some dues ex machina garbage right there

Keep lying to yourself Askorti, like I said fans like you just make it all the worse

The power of your argumentation is truly astonishing. Your ad hominem game is really strong, you totally convinced me of your points. You mentioned not just cancer, but casualness too. Absolutely great points. Now I understand, SAO is indeed truly a shit anime. I bow my head to your refined elite taste in chinese cartoons, please, teach me your ways.

On a more serious note, stop embarrassing yourself mate, it's clear that you don't have any actually good and logical points to make.

But for the sake of argument, I will point out that he had not vanished in that scene. It was just a representation of his death, what should've happened, but didn't. But if you actually watch it properly you'll see that he's still stabbed in the chest by Kayaba's sword. What actually happened was that he got stabbed, started (slowly) vanishing but managed to gather his resolve and stabbed Kayaba back before vanishing completely.
Also, a Deus ex Machina is not inherently a bad thing. There's a reason it was used in ancient plays. It was a part of the story and had meaning to it. You just have to... you know... Think while you watch it.
Jul 13, 2017 2:13 AM

May 2017
Askorti said:
seconds_to_dere said:

The power of your argumentation is truly astonishing. Your ad hominem game is really strong, you totally convinced me of your points. You mentioned not just cancer, but casualness too. Absolutely great points. Now I understand, SAO is indeed truly a shit anime. I bow my head to your refined elite taste in chinese cartoons, please, teach me your ways.

On a more serious note, stop embarrassing yourself mate, it's clear that you don't have any actually good and logical points to make.

But for the sake of argument, I will point out that he had not vanished in that scene. It was just a representation of his death, what should've happened, but didn't. But if you actually watch it properly you'll see that he's still stabbed in the chest by Kayaba's sword. What actually happened was that he got stabbed, started (slowly) vanishing but managed to gather his resolve and stabbed Kayaba back before vanishing completely.
Also, a Deus ex Machina is not inherently a bad thing. There's a reason it was used in ancient plays. It was a part of the story and had meaning to it. You just have to... you know... Think while you watch it.

I've heard that excuse before, "he didn't vanished" lol

When in fact his health bar went completely empty and a pop up notification appears says "you're dead" what further proves this is that Kirito's shattered pieces rebuild itself and the fact that Kayaba couldn't even evade or see it coming. That stabbed was only possible for him if he actually vanished and reappear thus caught Kayaba off guard.

Have pity on yourself bro and stop crying, you're further embarrassing yourself. Go watch your 3rd anime now, comeback when you've watched at least 600 anime
Jul 13, 2017 3:33 AM

Sep 2015
Well actually I love this show's vibe. I don't really like things to be so heavy so this fits my taste.

And also the sisters reminds me of Fujibayashi sisters from Clannad xD
Jul 13, 2017 3:50 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Interesting first episode and damm that was an interesting opening scene. Not quite how i picture meeting god will be like at all. Interesting premise though that while common still stands out here. Touya had a rather simple wish though. But a smartphone that runs with magic is cool plus you have a direct line to god as well lol. Being given a map in the beginning is a huge help for Touya. Touya's first encounter in this world sure was eccentric but at least he got something in return.

The first battle was pretty short but was fun to watch though. Touya's abilities is increased reaction eh. The two sisters seem to be pretty interesting characters and i like the contrast between the two. Must be embarrassing to admit you can't read though. This magic world looks pretty standard but it has some interesting characters in it. So Elze uses gauntlets as her main weapons while Touya is a swordsman and Linze is a mage eh. Nice formation though. Its nice that despite their adhoc team that they managed to complete their first mission. So not everyone can become a mage eh. Nice limit there for that. Magic stones eh. But the magic here seems easy to understand. Touya's magic aptitude sure was surprising. To think that he can use the super rare ability of gate though. Asking adventurers for ideas about new food items is an interesting idea. Looks like Touya has become an object of interest already lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2017 4:20 AM

Oct 2014
People call this generic, but I think that only applies to the WN/LN version.

Why? Because unlike 99% of harem animes, this particular LN adaption in anime form has a "true harem" and not just a "fake" one, i.e. there is actual polygamy, i.e. this series doesn't have a "dense" protagonist, nor one who is monogamous but for countless anime episodes/manga chapters cannot choose his one girl. It also doesn't have a fake harem with a monogamous protagonist whose "choice" is never made until the end of the the story, i.e. this series will obviously not have a "fake harem ending".

In that regard which anime out there even exists that shares this trait of a "true harem"? Perhaps there might be a few, but I doubt there are many of them.

Other than that the series is a bit bland and sometimes also a bit cringy, but the aspect I explained above BY ITSELF makes this series comparatively original among anime.
Jul 13, 2017 7:59 AM

Jun 2007
Just from the first episode I feel like this is overall a lazy show. I feel like no effort was made to make it. You could have easily made it a 12 minute short by cutting out those still-pictures that were at the end of each scene.

The 'getting teleported to another world' scenario has become so boring, and to be honest I never liked those to begin with.

This will more than likely be a nothing-show that no one should watch after it's been aired. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Jul 13, 2017 8:42 AM
Jan 2016
seconds_to_dere said:
Askorti said:

When in fact his health bar went completely empty and a pop up notification appears says "you're dead" what further proves this is that Kirito's shattered pieces rebuild itself and the fact that Kayaba couldn't even evade or see it coming. That stabbed was only possible for him if he actually vanished and reappear thus caught Kayaba off guard.

Have pity on yourself bro and stop crying, you're further embarrassing yourself. Go watch your 3rd anime now, comeback when you've watched at least 600 anime

He didn't disappear, because it wasn't in the LN. What's more, the LN also explains the scene exactly, including why Kayaba couldn't evade. I've got the edge over you here, because I'm actually a fan of the franchise, so I know a bit more about it than you do. So I can explain such things with ease.
Yes, his heath bar was empty and he did get the "you're dead" notification, but between that and actual death there's a delay. He used that time to strike back. And Kayaba couldn't evade because Kirito was too quick, since his quick reflexes kicked in. But go ahead, try to act like you actually know anything.

Also, your continued ad hominem are really cute. You just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper. :)
Jul 13, 2017 9:38 AM
Dec 2016
Boy, I sure loved this Re:Zero ripoff that borrows ideas from Konosuba and other shows (but implements them in a much worse fashion), has a Mary Sue as an MC and lookalikes of Lucky Star sisters as side characters! I can't wait to see more episodes about the exploits of a dude that already has everything and can do anything with zero effort. With these awful odds, it's a lucky thing that he has a direct line to God in case anything bad happened.

This show is just someone's self insert power fantasy. Mght just be the worst anime of the season.
Jul 13, 2017 1:31 PM

Mar 2011
I hope the MC won't be like that throughout the series, he is very flat and emotionless which makes him very boring; tries to brush off the only thing that keeps him interesting which is the smartphone by keeping secrets by avoiding the questions. Accepting his death and transported to another world so easily; come on man.. not liking his guts at all.

Other than not showing how he died and the pacing everything else seems alright
Jul 13, 2017 5:01 PM

Jun 2012
Well this wasn't as bad as people are saying, I have seen some good amount of shitty first episodes and only from the this ep this ain't that bad. Of course the plot is all stupidly convenient for the MC, but well I don't think this will have much drama or action.

Symphyon said:

Actually compared to this Nijiro Days is actually pretty nice, its one of my favorite shorts though just like Isekai I guess you can say the "comfy" tone fits more on Nijiro than this series.

Yeah "comfy" fits this really well.
Jul 13, 2017 7:49 PM

May 2017
Askorti said:
seconds_to_dere said:

He didn't disappear, because it wasn't in the LN. What's more, the LN also explains the scene exactly, including why Kayaba couldn't evade. I've got the edge over you here, because I'm actually a fan of the franchise, so I know a bit more about it than you do. So I can explain such things with ease.
Yes, his heath bar was empty and he did get the "you're dead" notification, but between that and actual death there's a delay. He used that time to strike back. And Kayaba couldn't evade because Kirito was too quick, since his quick reflexes kicked in. But go ahead, try to act like you actually know anything.

Also, your continued ad hominem are really cute. You just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper. :)

Who's throwing meaningless phrases now? Lol give me a link to that chapter on the LN or I've had it with your logic and baiting

You know you're tripping when you're argument was simply saying you're a "fan" lol you're hilarious kid

"his quick reflexes kicked in" lol why didn't he did that from the start? You wanna know why? Coz he can't outpowered Kayaba at that point, Kayaba being the smart person that he is already prepared himself against Kirito coz he got overpowered in their first duel

Smh kids these days, I'm not even a fan of the show but I know more about it than you do kiddo, what a "fan" you are lol
Jul 13, 2017 7:57 PM
Sep 2012
Already shit by having a bland art style like this in 2017 added to the fact that guy ends up dead, meets God, then is just blase about being dead. Generic black hair, generic dumb face, 15, just takes the shit in stride and says "Why even bother complaining when it has already happened?".
How did he die? God dropped lightning on his head and didn't think it'd hit someone. Not shown, but told and we get no showing of how his family reacts to his death. In KonoSuba, we are shown who Kazuma is as a person from the outset, he's a shut-in NEET that hasn't been out in a bit, yet he cares for people as shown in his death.
How did he die? Scared to death from saving a girl, that didn't need saving from a tractor that wasn't going to hit her, dies and meets a goddess (far better than some old dude), and learns that everyone lol'd at his insanely funny death which shows the comedy of the series.
What the guys personality? Average as fuck and was taught by his put-upon grandad that he should just forgive people's mistakes like a lil bitch. Also, he's stupid as fuck and a total normie by deciding to bring just his fucking smartphone to another world that probably has magic and fantasy creatures in it, who knows until he gets there. The god in the show even asked him before he left if he wanted to bring something else he could have, the kid says just the fucking phone was good.
Then after 2 minutes 30 we get a shitty animation that looks like it belongs on an old ass PS2 RPG video game opening with a crap song attached, then generic shit happens where we meet anime twins where they say they're twins, but it's only as far as their hair and eye color are the same, they do a thing, shows of a harem in the making, shot of adventures to come, ends with another shitty animation with a crap song attached.
People liking this don't get the "personal" anything pass when we've had better shows than this looks like it's going to be and especially middle of the road ones which anime is abundant in. If you like this with sincerity you are a dumb person who needs to stay at intro level anime.
Jul 13, 2017 8:06 PM

Jul 2015
Well... thats an interesting start... well... not really, but I didn't think they would just skip to the part where hes talking with God with such a simple explanation for his death. Everything else played out incredibly smoothly and MC was pretty dang calm the entire time despite how poorly prepared he was and the situations he ended up in.

As far as the anime itself goes, the story is nothing special, animation was nothing special, ost was nothing special, and the characters themselves are nothing special. Nothing here was bad, and I enjoyed it a bit, but it was pretty boring. Hopefully it gets a bit more eventful later on... just a bit...
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jul 13, 2017 9:11 PM
Jul 2017
FMmatron said:
This will easily be the most hated anime this season xD

The cause of death, tho, but at least God apologized properly this time and even made up for it with magic phone and superpowers.

Well, I think I will keep watching this for the smartphone element and since this show probably allows me to turn my brain off for 20 minutes, even tho I have to admit this episode was pretty tough to get through, due to the bland charas and boring comedy. Just hope I get used to them fast.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Jul 14, 2017 2:24 AM
Jan 2016
seconds_to_dere said:
Askorti said:

Who's throwing meaningless phrases now? Lol give me a link to that chapter on the LN or I've had it with your logic and baiting

You know you're tripping when you're argument was simply saying you're a "fan" lol you're hilarious kid

"his quick reflexes kicked in" lol why didn't he did that from the start? You wanna know why? Coz he can't outpowered Kayaba at that point, Kayaba being the smart person that he is already prepared himself against Kirito coz he got overpowered in their first duel

Smh kids these days, I'm not even a fan of the show but I know more about it than you do kiddo, what a "fan" you are lol

Vol. 1, chapter 23, let me quote the relevant parts for you:

So I guess I have to retract one point I made. Kirito didn't move too quickly for Kayaba to evade. Kayaba just chose to not evade.
And "I'm a fan " was not an argument in itself. It was a statement that supported my previous arguments. A source for them if you will. It is more than obvious that a fan of a work would know more about it than a person who hates it and is dismissive of it.

Also, it shows just how immature you yourself are when you keep on calling me a kid. You know that you won't win this argument because of your limited knowledge, so you try to belittle me as a person. It's really cute. And really pathetic. I suggest you stop it, because it won't get you anywhere. It sure won't get a rise me, because I'm not stupid enough to be affected by such petty words.
AskortiJul 14, 2017 2:29 AM
Jul 14, 2017 6:08 AM

Nov 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
I have never seen any anime that has an actual conflict throughout (just check my list to see how much of a weeb I am), no matter how slow, that doesn't HINT, at a conflict in the 1st ep.
For crying out loud, it takes several eps in Monster for Tenma to actually go after Johan, but even in the 1st ep, the conflict between Tenma's ideals vs what his greedy asshole hospital boss wants, alludes to an actual conflict that gives rise to the real conflict.
Hell, I read the synopsis for this anime on wikipedia, and none of it said anything about a conflict. Either there isn't going to be a major conflict, or it's going to take forever, for one to appear.

Oh you meant an ideological conflict, I thought you meant harem conflicts. Erm... well I don't think you'll be getting that most likely. Sure you aren't expecting way to much of a show with these genre tags? Perhaps you need to take it less seriously?

However I'd like to see at least the antagonist introduced before lowering my expectations for this show.

AnimeFanboy1234 said:

My problem with the dialogue, is how perfectly safe it all feels: none of the characters question each other. It's all completely generic.
For as much as I hate Re: Zero, I can appreciate how in its 1st ep, the heroine had a, "who dafaq are you?" reaction to the MC. As in, their exchanges, didn't feel remotely mechanical.

None of the characters introduced so far strikes me as memorable. So I guess we can agree on that. But hey it's a harem, and first girl is rarely best girl.

AnimeFanboy1234 said:

When does animation "ramp up" as an anime progresses? Maybe I'd believe it if there hadn't been a fight scene yet, but think about it for a sec, this is the FIRST ep, right? The one where studios know they gotta put in all the effort. The first fight scene we get...are 3 shots of stilted images. While the rest of the whole ep consists of nothing but stills, with the occasional head tilt, which people like Digibro, Mother's Basement, and countless people on MAL, will call "animation".
My point is, the staff have already went, "f*ck it, we know it's crap, our audience knows it's crap, why should we put in actual effort? This ain't no Mob Psycho 100"
Either you guys are too optimistic, or I'm too pessimistic.

I'll admit I forgot there was an action scene in this anime till you mentioned it again. But I do hope there's going to be better animation when larger scale fighting with more powerful spells (if that even happens).

Call me optimistic, but I usually only condemn a series 3 or at least 2 episodes in.

AnimeFanboy1234 said:

That is a perfect point, and easily sets up the MC being a jack-of-all-trades but a master-of-none, actually. How did that not occur to me?

Sarcasm much?

AnimeFanboy1234 said:

No, we clearly disagree on the likelihood of this anime sucking.
You seem to think there's a 50% chance (Just guessing, based on your responses) for the anime not to suck,
While I think the chances of it NOT sucking are like...10%.

50%? Perhaps my expressions are too mild for someone who is fixated on only using words lying on extreme ends. I'm 95% sure this show will be nothing special. If 100% sure I don't care about any of the characters introduced so far. Whether or not if it will be completely forgettable will depend on if best girl of the series is good.

I just don't use "suck" on every show that doesn't amaze me till my mind is blown.

AnimeFanboy1234 said:
Summary: I have 0 doubt this anime will NOT be great. Because I have never seen a great anime, that did not start off on a remarkable episode (yes, even Berserk and Fate/Zero)

Yeah, I'd say a good start is very important. But if there's anything I'd add to this, an ending that fits how a show started is even more important. I hate shows that start well and go off the rails more than unremarkable forgettable shows who end in typical unremarkable fashion.
BurningSpiritJul 14, 2017 6:14 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jul 14, 2017 6:54 AM

Apr 2013
MC isn't fooling me with his nice guy antics, i know he's secretly gunning for a twin sister threesome. I can't blame him.

Enjoyable first ep, MC seems to be settling in nicely. But hopefully things get more interesting next episode.
Jul 14, 2017 7:58 AM

May 2015
it has this visual novel feel to it
like it
Jul 14, 2017 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
it's a generic harem romcom. I watched it expecting that and got exactly what was advertised. no complaints. will keep watching because cute girls.
Jul 14, 2017 12:28 PM

Aug 2015
ROFLross said:
Just from the first episode I feel like this is overall a lazy show. I feel like no effort was made to make it. You could have easily made it a 12 minute short by cutting out those still-pictures that were at the end of each scene.

The 'getting teleported to another world' scenario has become so boring, and to be honest I never liked those to begin with.

This will more than likely be a nothing-show that no one should watch after it's been aired. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
'and to be honest I never liked those to begin with'
Than why watch it???Just to complain it in MAL?First time you can say,i watched it because to judge and other things but when you watch things you don't like one after another than there's something wrong with you or you're just being tsundere.
Jul 14, 2017 12:30 PM

Aug 2015
I like it characters are likable and this is giving me a comfy vibe despite having a generic plot.Glad i gave this a chance.
ultravigoJul 14, 2017 12:36 PM
Jul 14, 2017 12:58 PM

Apr 2010
kurikinton said:
it has this visual novel feel to it
like it

Yea, Sakura series VNs.
Jul 14, 2017 1:30 PM

Feb 2014
Didnt even make it half way through, considering this dropped :/ nothing special
Jul 14, 2017 2:08 PM
Jun 2017
This Anime is really average.
Jul 14, 2017 2:22 PM
Jun 2015
Overwhelmingly generic, doesn't mean its bad though.
Jul 14, 2017 2:29 PM
Jul 2017
I have just finished watching Clannad and somehow the twins remenber me Kyou and Ryou. The name Mochizuki Touya, instead, Okazaki Tomoya. Am I drunk?
Jul 14, 2017 5:56 PM

May 2014
...Was that Reimu I saw in the opening?
Jul 14, 2017 7:15 PM

Nov 2016
absolutely garbage, I expect this anime would great but Iam disappointed now. Konosuba n re:zero much better.
Jul 14, 2017 7:25 PM
Jul 2014
Man, what happened to having characters with personalities? Every character just did and said what would comfortably move the story along.

And speaking of story, where is it? I don't mind if the show wants to go for a slice of life thing, but clearly its impressively bland characters can't make that an interesting watch. Seriously, half of this episode - the first episode, which is supposed to hook the viewer and create some investment in characters and/or plot - was spent explaining how the uncreative magic system works. There wasn't even any impressive action to engage you; there was just nothing of interest here.

The presentation was, for all intents and purposes, non-existent. No good shot compositions, the music - though fitting - was unbelievably flat and added nothing to each scene, and I swear to god A1 pictures has more interesting character designs than these.

Like all isekai shows, it has some escapism value, but even the thirteen year old, SAO-loving me would've found this boring. Hell, it's so bland that it isn't even worth watching to see how bad it gets. I give it 3 generic MCs out of 10, 10/10 would ignore this characterless cashgrab again.
Who the hell took Lulu-chan?
Jul 14, 2017 8:52 PM

May 2017
Askorti said:
seconds_to_dere said:

So I guess I have to retract one point I made. Kirito didn't move too quickly for Kayaba to evade. Kayaba just chose to not evade.
And "I'm a fan " was not an argument in itself. It was a statement that supported my previous arguments. A source for them if you will. It is more than obvious that a fan of a work would know more about it than a person who hates it and is dismissive of it.

Also, it shows just how immature you yourself are when you keep on calling me a kid. You know that you won't win this argument because of your limited knowledge, so you try to belittle me as a person. It's really cute. And really pathetic. I suggest you stop it, because it won't get you anywhere. It sure won't get a rise me, because I'm not stupid enough to be affected by such petty words.

I read it. And it just further proves he vanished, I thought it was just all in his mind that he vanished coz that's the usual excuse of cancerous SAO fans like you but no, this is really a plot armor that makes it a plot hole bcoz he basically hacked the system, I mean that's a program and it can't even be called a bug, if the author just explained it's a berserker kind of skill then that should have at least make it a plot armor but this is a legit plot hole a dues ex machina like that final fight in season 1 which is the lamest final fight ever

it's shit writing through and through, deal with it, you lost kid
Jul 14, 2017 10:46 PM

Mar 2012
Seems like another one of those isekai series that make the MC very OP to start. Not sure what plot development there could be with this when he's just going to casually roflstomp everything that comes his way.
Jul 15, 2017 1:32 AM
Jan 2016
seconds_to_dere said:
Askorti said:

I read it. And it just further proves he vanished, I thought it was just all in his mind that he vanished coz that's the usual excuse of cancerous SAO fans like you but no, this is really a plot armor that makes it a plot hole bcoz he basically hacked the system, I mean that's a program and it can't even be called a bug, if the author just explained it's a berserker kind of skill then that should have at least make it a plot armor but this is a legit plot hole a dues ex machina like that final fight in season 1 which is the lamest final fight ever

I see, so your reading comprehension is very much sub-par. It literally says "before scattering in all directions", so I don't know how you construed it as him vanishing and coming back. But I guess this explains why you are just so wrong about this series. You just, quite simply, don't get it. Your misguided criticism comes from lack of understanding what you see on the screen. Which I guess is quite common among SAO haters.
And as I said before, the "Deus ex machina" at the end of season 1 (end of the Fairy Dance arc) is a literal one. A god from the machine descends upon the scene, Kayaba Akihito intervenes just like in the ancient plays. It is not used as an easy way out, it's very much on purpose. It is not bad writing. On the contrary, it is quite good writing, a reference to antique conventions and motifs used in a medium completely dissimilar to the one it was originally used in. But a person so blinded by petty hate would not see it. Either because you can't, or won't. I think you don't want to see it, because you're already set on hating the series, so no amount of explaining will reach you. You decided that it's bad, and that's it for you.

And by the way, about "hacking" the game. It is a recurring theme in the series that strong emotions can and will affect the game itself. This scene was not the first nor the last time it happened. It's not a plot hole, it's a plot point.
Jul 15, 2017 1:54 AM

May 2017
Askorti said:
seconds_to_dere said:

I see, so your reading comprehension is very much sub-par. It literally says "before scattering in all directions", so I don't know how you construed it as him vanishing and coming back. But I guess this explains why you are just so wrong about this series. You just, quite simply, don't get it. Your misguided criticism comes from lack of understanding what you see on the screen. Which I guess is quite common among SAO haters.
And as I said before, the "Deus ex machina" at the end of season 1 (end of the Fairy Dance arc) is a literal one. A god from the machine descends upon the scene, Kayaba Akihito intervenes just like in the ancient plays. It is not used as an easy way out, it's very much on purpose. It is not bad writing. On the contrary, it is quite good writing, a reference to antique conventions and motifs used in a medium completely dissimilar to the one it was originally used in. But a person so blinded by petty hate would not see it. Either because you can't, or won't. I think you don't want to see it, because you're already set on hating the series, so no amount of explaining will reach you. You decided that it's bad, and that's it for you.

And by the way, about "hacking" the game. It is a recurring theme in the series that strong emotions can and will affect the game itself. This scene was not the first nor the last time it happened. It's not a plot hole, it's a plot point.

"strong emotions can affect the game itself" you saying the show isn't just sci-fi but also supernatural? Lol

Also if he really didn't vanished why did the anime made him scattered but didn't explain Kirito's thought process of the time inb4 LN is very detailed

Kayaba said it himself that that was a hax and more than his calculations meaning it's basically some miraculous BS

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
ArdanazJul 16, 2017 11:39 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» A question for the Light Novel readers regarding his identity

Cyanide86 - Mar 10

2 by Cyanide86 »»
Mar 10, 8:57 AM

» 10/10 from me.. who else? ( 1 2 )

Yui_Suzumiya69 - Apr 26, 2023

65 by AgelessPharaoh »»
Mar 8, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2017

238 by DayMan_Official »»
Dec 29, 2023 8:58 PM

Poll: » Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2017

163 by White_Alice »»
Dec 5, 2023 9:17 PM

Poll: » Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2017

78 by Rello »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.