Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2017 4:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, it's what I had expected.

OP song is catchy though and well, it had most of the girls in it. For what's worth, I think this first episode pretty much was an introductory as it bought in the setting along with the main characters. Really generic storytelling though.

The idea of using a cell phone in this fantasy world is strange but part of this series' gimmick.
Silhoueska siblings are kinda cute I guess. Visual wise, it felt pretty underwhelming. I think this show will be exploring a lot of the supernatural mechanics and we'll probably get the other main characters introduced soon.
Stark700Jul 11, 2017 7:44 AM
Jul 11, 2017 6:39 AM

Apr 2009
Completely generic garbage. They didn't even show the MC dying and that is usually the best thing about these shows.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 11, 2017 6:41 AM

Dec 2014
Do all Isekai MCs die for extremely stupid reasons? It's like the authors don't even care about being creative about it, as long as they make them die and reincarnate in another world..I suppose the interesting part about this one is the fact that MC can use his phone to call god etc ( well duh) ok, at least that's new. MC was as interested in his death as me xD
Maybe it's another weird start like Akashic? I've my doubts but will see.
Jul 11, 2017 6:42 AM

Apr 2012
Complete trash.
Watching to continue to see how shitty it'll get.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 11, 2017 6:45 AM

Oct 2011
This is probably the worst of the current airing isekai shows. Complete lack of creative writing, and the MC just reeks of gary-stu, shallow nonsense. It will be hard to imagine myself watching beyond this first episode.
Jul 11, 2017 6:51 AM

Jul 2015
Well, you can't expect anything else coming from the bottom of the barrel, but I thought it would be my junk food pleasure of the season.

Countless of interruptions during the plot. The producers made it like it was a set of very small stories, probably to budget limitations. It makes watching it so annoying.

I was also expecting more like a Konosuba type of comedy due to the smartphone in an isekai be ridiculous by itself.

Pass

AdrianRubinskyJul 11, 2017 7:03 AM
Jul 11, 2017 6:54 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that felt pretty rushed... the cell phone gimmick is a bit of a new twist but otherwise that felt pretty generic
Jul 11, 2017 6:58 AM

Jun 2015
Whoa quite fast. It seems 3-4times faster than Konosuba.

From the OP scenes, I wonder if the anime will move to some serious action type.
Jul 11, 2017 6:59 AM

Sep 2016
garbage, one of the easiest 1/10 drop this season
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 11, 2017 7:00 AM

Jun 2010
The Animation quality wasn't great. The soundtrack was nigh unnoticeable. It wasn't a full blown comedy like KonoSuba. Of course I wasn't expecting it to be fully blown darkness like Re:Zero.

Overall, though, oddly, I didn't hate it. I'll probably watch some more. But it seems very odd that, as far as we've seen so far, there really is no hook, and more dammingly, there is no conflict.

Stories need conflict. It doesn't need to be life or world threatening, but there must be a problem the protagonist must solve. Even Slice of Life shows like Tenshi no 3P airing this season understand this. It's why the first season of K-On worked but the second season was incredibly boring. Even a comedy series like KonoSuba has conflict.

Hopefully it will establish this in the coming episodes. I'm willing to see where it goes.

Anathor said:
Do all Isekai MCs die for extremely stupid reasons?

Sometimes they don't die at all, actually. Take SAO or Re:Zero. Neither of those protagonist died to enter their alternate worlds. (Although Subaru died a ton afterward.)
Jul 11, 2017 7:02 AM

Jun 2013
Nothing special, but its fun so far.
Jul 11, 2017 7:12 AM
Aug 2015
I don't know about everyone else, but I really enjoyed this episode a lot more than I thought I would. Obviously, it has very big similarities to Konosuba, but I very much prefer this because the main character is more enjoyable (I'm not too keen on characters that are weak). Looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 11, 2017 7:22 AM
Jan 2016
DefyingMadness said:
The main character of this show makes Kirito look well written. LOL

Because Kirito is actually quite well written. Especially later on.
Jul 11, 2017 7:25 AM
Jun 2017
DefyingMadness said:
The main character of this show makes Kirito look well written. LOL

Kirito IS a well written character......only in Alicization tho
Jul 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Apr 2017
>I'll just pass on this..--

--Hypothetically Speaking--

It's a HUUUGE Letdown and very PLAIN

2.34/5
-HippySnob-Jul 11, 2017 7:34 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----

Jan 2015
Touya seems pretty calm for a man that know he's dead, and meet with god too. I think he also have good "Value" of luck. Meet with a cloth store owner and get some gold coin from him. After that meet with beautiful twin sister which, of course the older one must have a long hair and save them. He also makes the girl amazed with his aptitude-set using those magic stones.
The OP definitely be on my second list of OST to download for the Season.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online

Nov 2009
I dont get the hate, i enjoyed it.
The MC seems likeable.
Jul 11, 2017 7:28 AM

Jul 2016
neonie said:
The Animation quality wasn't great. The soundtrack was nigh unnoticeable. It wasn't a full blown comedy like KonoSuba. Of course I wasn't expecting it to be fully blown darkness like Re:Zero.

Overall, though, oddly, I didn't hate it. I'll probably watch some more. But it seems very odd that, as far as we've seen so far, there really is no hook, and more dammingly, there is no conflict.

Stories need conflict. It doesn't need to be life or world threatening, but there must be a problem the protagonist must solve. Even Slice of Life shows like Tenshi no 3P airing this season understand this. It's why the first season of K-On worked but the second season was incredibly boring. Even a comedy series like KonoSuba has conflict.

Hopefully it will establish this in the coming episodes. I'm willing to see where it goes.

Anathor said:
Do all Isekai MCs die for extremely stupid reasons?

Sometimes they don't die at all, actually. Take SAO or Re:Zero. Neither of those protagonist died to enter their alternate worlds. (Although Subaru died a ton afterward.)

Well, out all the animated WN from the WN site Shousetsuka ni Narou, Smartphone
can be considered the least eventful of them all since even in its own WN reviews summaries the story to be 90% SoL and comedy, with only 10% of actual tension and action, so expecting this to be a more drama/tension/action driven show(the would-be-animated Rising of the Shield Hero,Mushoku Tensei, Knight & Magic, Re:Zero, Overlord) or full-out comedy(Konosuba) you'll be largely disappointed. The WN review even stated that actual tension would less likely to be present, with it being one of the many the-protagonist-is-OP story popular in that WN site.

p.s. The name stated above are the available WN in the site except Konosuba. The author took it down when its LN is serialized. Mushoku Tensei anime when...?
NitroKageAkiJul 11, 2017 7:40 AM
Jul 11, 2017 7:31 AM
Dec 2016
Seem generic but fun to watch!

Notice that they chop this ep with lots of part..

...Why do i get attracted by almost every violet/lavendered-hair girl? ;P
CreateMaxJul 11, 2017 7:38 AM
Jul 11, 2017 7:33 AM

Nov 2016
This will easily be the most hated anime this season xD

The cause of death, tho, but at least God apologized properly this time and even made up for it with magic phone and superpowers.

Well, I think I will keep watching this for the smartphone element and since this show probably allows me to turn my brain off for 20 minutes, even tho I have to admit this episode was pretty tough to get through, due to the bland charas and boring comedy. Just hope I get used to them fast.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 11, 2017 7:38 AM
May 2014
outbreak company but worse. especially with "comedic death" and "normally contact god". I found outbreak company actually fun generic anime. but comparing their both 1st episode, I found OC is stronger than this series. will look forward on the next episode but I wont put my hopes high
nickzz235Jul 11, 2017 7:51 AM
Jul 11, 2017 7:40 AM

Jun 2010
NitroKageAki said:

can be considered the least eventful of them all since even in its own WN reviews summaries the story to be 90% SoL and comedy, with only 10% of actual tension and action, so expecting this to be a more drama/tension/action driven show(the would-be-animated Rising of the Shield Hero,Mushoku Tensei, Knight & Magic, Re:Zero, Overlord) or full-out comedy(Konosuba) you'll be largely disappointed. The WN review even stated that actual tension would less likely to be present, with it being one of many the-protagonist-is-OP story popular in that WN site.

p.s. The name stated above are the available WN in the site except Konosuba. The author took it down when its LN is serialized. Mushoku Tensei anime when...?

I wasn't expecting it to be a more tension or action driven show. I was just hoping they would introduce some sort of conflict to make you invested in the characters and make things interesting.

But from the sounds of what you're telling me, that doesn't really happen, which makes me rather sad.

By the way, how does Death Match rate on this whole WN eventfulness scale? I ordered the LN recently.

nickzz235 said:
outbreak company but seems worse.

Don't remind me of Outbreak Company! D:! Now I'm sad about the second season we'll never get. :c.

CreativeMax said:

The lavender haired girl from 3P is kawaii af.
Jul 11, 2017 7:49 AM
Dec 2016
neonie said:
NitroKageAki said:

can be considered the least eventful of them all since even in its own WN reviews summaries the story to be 90% SoL and comedy, with only 10% of actual tension and action, so expecting this to be a more drama/tension/action driven show(the would-be-animated Rising of the Shield Hero,Mushoku Tensei, Knight & Magic, Re:Zero, Overlord) or full-out comedy(Konosuba) you'll be largely disappointed. The WN review even stated that actual tension would less likely to be present, with it being one of many the-protagonist-is-OP story popular in that WN site.

I wasn't expecting it to be a more tension or action driven show. I was just hoping they would introduce some sort of conflict to make you invested in the characters and make things interesting.

But from the sounds of what you're telling me, that doesn't really happen, which makes me rather sad.

By the way, how does Death Match rate on this whole WN eventfulness scale? I ordered the LN recently.

nickzz235 said:

Don't remind me of Outbreak Company! D:! Now I'm sad about the second season we'll never get. :c.

CreativeMax said:

Noticing the age gap'll probably get me dragged to jail every monday..
Jul 11, 2017 7:51 AM

Jan 2015
It turned out very nice and the pace seems very good and not rushed for the moment.
Jul 11, 2017 7:53 AM

Jun 2010
CreativeMax said:
neonie said:

Noticing the age gap'll probably get me dragged to jail every monday..

As long as it's a jail with moe loli police officers.
Jul 11, 2017 8:02 AM

Jul 2016
A turn-off-your-brain-and-enjoy anime. It's okay but nothing outstanding.

Jul 11, 2017 8:03 AM

Sep 2015
Well an OK "Isekai" series to watch I guess.

God-like main character with little/no obstacle plot, happy-go-lucky series, the kind of WN suitable for your drive journey. If you want serious plot and sulking about generic Isekai garbage, then you lose already. Plus this series started way back to 2013 on a WN website where little new authors can upload their works.

So in the end its not about whether this series is generic trash or no, but it is more about whether you like this or not. Well you can say its bad, but its too hasty to call it trash. As a critic you need to consider the time of 2013 too.
valvravetruthJul 11, 2017 2:18 PM
Jul 11, 2017 8:09 AM

Jul 2016
neonie said:
NitroKageAki said:

nickzz235 said:

I just skimmed through its WN review so I might be wrong(and I'm happy if I am).

About Death Match, are you referring to Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody? I only read early portion of its WN version, its event might be different than the ones in LN so take this with a grain of salt...

NitroKageAkiJul 11, 2017 8:12 AM
Jul 11, 2017 8:09 AM
Aug 2010
This would be Subaru's wet dream. This is generic as fuck, having all the isekai troupes, but is enjoyable to watch, as long as you don't expect a masterpiece out of this. Will continue watching for the moment.
Jul 11, 2017 8:14 AM

Jun 2010
NitroKageAki said:

I just skimmed through its WN review so I might be wrong(and I'm happy if I am).

About Death Match, are you referring to Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody? I only read early portion of its WN version, its event might be different than the ones in LN so take this with a grain of salt...

Thank you for your mini-review! Sounds interesting enough! I hope I'll enjoy it.
Jul 11, 2017 8:17 AM

Aug 2008
It was such utterly half assed it's almost charming. Creators basically went "you know the drill, let's get that 13 eps over with, work is almost over". So unbelievably bland it's see through like a dirty window.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 11, 2017 8:22 AM

Jul 2016
Itachi_0893 said:
This would be Subaru's wet dream. This is generic as fuck, having all the isekai troupes, but is enjoyable to watch, as long as you don't expect a masterpiece out of this. Will continue watching for the moment.

Indeed, in fact that the author of Re:Zero is fed up with the isekai tropes of otaku MC obtaining OP cheats and single-handedly settle conflicts and threats with ease that he decided to create a flawed and weak otaku MC, so weak that Subaru lost to all characters in terms of pure fist-fighting except the villager loli Petra...
Jul 11, 2017 8:26 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty generic but it was fun to watch. I liked how calm Touya was. As others have said, the smartphone element is the only unique thing. He even has God's contact number. OP song is quite catchy.

Jul 11, 2017 8:33 AM

Jun 2013
Not bad, i have enjoyed this anime. Linze and Elze are cute!
Jul 11, 2017 8:41 AM

Jun 2015
Decent first episode. OP is catchy. Touya looks a lot like Kirito. Him bringing a phone into another world is a nice gimmick. The girls are cute. He can use all of the elements.
Jul 11, 2017 8:45 AM

Aug 2015
It feels like the chibi transitions are where the web novel chapters ended, a straight adaptation though and through. I'm not expecting much out of this.
Jul 11, 2017 8:47 AM

Oct 2010
Take a shot every time there's an eyecatch. DO NOT TRY THIS, MIGHT BE FATAL

I was surprised mc didn't immediately try a sign text translation app.

valvravetruth said:
So in the end its not about whether this series is generic trash or no, but it is more about whether you like this or not.

Exactly.

If I'm going to watch a show with tension and drama and pain, I'd better be able to expect some kind of touchstone masterpiece. They never were able to convince me to watch Re:Zero, except for the final episode, which was nice.

With this, I know I'll have a good time. Hey, a couple of months ago I reluctantly started SAO II "to get it over with" and ended up enjoying it a lot, in between occasional cringes.

Jul 11, 2017 8:52 AM

Jun 2014
Seems good for what it's supposed to do.
Jul 11, 2017 8:55 AM

Mar 2016
Feels like I've seen this 100 times already... not like I expected much in the first place, given the shows tags, the LN source material and the cover art.
Jul 11, 2017 9:17 AM

Aug 2013
I always welcome to fantasy and isekai setting, but this one I so chill
I like it tbh, no pressure what so ever when watching it
Jul 11, 2017 9:19 AM

Jun 2014
Yeah, pretty generic. I would have at least liked to see the MC die lol. He seems like he won't have any issues in this world, he can use all the magic, God basically made him OP as fuck, and he has the convenience of his smartphone. Whatever, lets see how bad this can get haha.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 11, 2017 9:26 AM

Jun 2017
I am a huge fan of Isekai. This did not disappoint. Nor was it anything spectacular.

It was about what I was expecting; introducing the audience to the world and MCs.

Glad to see Kami-sama is making the phone more useful to Touya in the new world.

I look forward to seeing where the series is going.
Jul 11, 2017 9:30 AM
Nov 2016
It appears as though the studio wanted to experiment, and create the ultimate basic shitty isekai harem anime:

-Gary Stu MC
-MC with 0 personality
-No conflict
-No plot
-Bland dialogue
-Camera movements to disguise the:
-Non-existent animation
-Fight scenes so shitty, that it's an insult to shitty fight scenes
Jul 11, 2017 9:39 AM

Jan 2017
The episode was nice actually, it didn't have anything really to draw you in but i'll expect things to pick up as the rest of the cast is introduced.
Jul 11, 2017 9:57 AM

Jun 2017
Mediocre, as expected. Probably going to drop this next episode.
Jul 11, 2017 10:13 AM

May 2017
The MC took a HUGE risque. What if in that world isn't any Wi-Fi ?
Like FFS, i would've asked for anime waifus ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 11, 2017 10:25 AM
Nov 2015
I think its kinda like Konosuba, but a more laid back version. MC is kinda dull so far although he is OP. It may not be interesting but it is fun to watch it since it feels like a Slice Of Life-ish kind of anime right now. Not expecting great things from this but I'm looking forward to more

valvravetruth said:
Well an OK "Isekai" series to watch I guess.

God-like main character with little/no obstacle plot, happy-go-lucky series, the kind of WN suitable for your drive journey. If you want serious plot and sulking about generic Isekai garbage, then you lose already. Plus this series started way back to 2013 on a WN website where little new authors can upload their works.

So in the end its not about whether this series is generic trash or no, but it is more about whether you like this or not. Calling this trash straightly because of "generic" can tell you are not really fit to critic, everything is simply just your dislike.

I second this. Its just a matter of whether you like it or hate it. Or maybe in between.
swampert260Jul 11, 2017 10:39 AM
Jul 11, 2017 10:55 AM
Jan 2017
The mc was very bland, flat, and not to mention overpowered as heck(surprise right?) I honestly thought that there was going to be an interesting twist because he had his cellphone, but it feels like his cellphone is an afterthought and he doesn't even need it with the level of other poweredness he has.
Jul 11, 2017 11:09 AM

Dec 2014
hmm it was a little more melancholy that I thought...let's see how it goes
Jul 11, 2017 11:31 AM

Apr 2017
Ok, I didn't expect much, but this is way too uninteresting. Plot? Nope. Fun? Nope. Why I should continue watching it?

I mean what the hell? What is so cool about a guy, who is a walking GPS + internet antena, Bruce Lee, Gandalf v 3.0 and a owner of a restaurant with 4 Michelin stars combined? After this his only obstacle is to learn how to read and write in their language, because by super coincidence he randomly meets the 2 most cute and capable girls in the town, who see him as medieval Brad Pitt?

I am not claling for spoilers, but is there any meaning for a guy like me, who is not fond of uninteligent harem shows to go on? Is there any hope? Thanks in advance for honest responses.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» A question for the Light Novel readers regarding his identity

Cyanide86 - Mar 10

2 by Cyanide86 »»
Mar 10, 8:57 AM

» 10/10 from me.. who else? ( 1 2 )

Yui_Suzumiya69 - Apr 26, 2023

65 by AgelessPharaoh »»
Mar 8, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2017

238 by DayMan_Official »»
Dec 29, 2023 8:58 PM

Poll: » Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2017

163 by White_Alice »»
Dec 5, 2023 9:17 PM

Poll: » Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2017

78 by Rello »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.