Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime fans usually like new anime than old anime?

New
Jul 7, 2017 5:49 PM

Jul 2017
Look like anime community very prefer new shows than classic ones:

-New anime like Your Name, The Silent Voice, Boku no Hero Academia, Haikyuu... are rated very highly.

-While "classic anime of the 90s" (except Cowboy Bebop and LoGH) are usually rated below 8.50.

For example: Berserk 8.42, Neon Genesis Evangelion 8.31, Dragon Ball Z: 8.31, Revolutionary Girl Utena: 8.21, Rurouni Kenshin: 8.42, Serial Experiments Lain: 7.99, Perfect Blue: 8.27, Trigun: 8.32, Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho: 8.47, Ghost in the Shell: 8.34, Akira: 8.15,..

-This is lower than top rated shows every seasons.

For example:Assassination Classroom S2: 8.67, Erased: 8.60 (Winter 2016), Re:zero: 8.52 (Spring 2016) , Mob Psycho 100: 8.54 (Summer 2016), Haikyuu!! S3: 9.03 (Fall 2016), Gintama: 9.06 (Winter 2017), Boku no Hero Academia S2: 8.78 (Spring 2017).

- Let's have a look at MAL's top 20 anime:

15/20 anime of best rated anime were aired after 2010.

- Now in comparison with IMDB's top 20 films:

Only 5/20 films of best rated films were premiered after 2000.

So what do you think about it? What are reasons that people usually prefer new anime?
EThMASJul 7, 2017 5:52 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2017 5:50 PM

Jul 2017
Because anime fans tend to be young.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Jul 7, 2017 5:51 PM

May 2010
Didn't read your post but to answer in short: Newer animes have better visual quality...which is a BIG factor for me and many others
YouniverSoulJul 7, 2017 6:22 PM
Jul 7, 2017 5:53 PM

Oct 2013
The reason is simple, mostly experience anime watcher/ users that rate harshly watches the calssic anime, while people that rate anime by enjoyment and isn"t a stuck person when It comes to rating normally rates higher.

The newer generation cant stand older anime because of art style and animation, therefore old anime miss out on those persons.
keragammingJul 7, 2017 5:57 PM
Jul 7, 2017 5:58 PM

Aug 2016
New anime is appealing to the younger generations. Old school anime was more plot driven(Not saying new anime isn't) but now anime is full of things like comic relief, overpowered mc's and women protagonist with boobs that people younger than 17 enjoy.
Jul 7, 2017 5:59 PM

Jun 2015
Well, you see, teens love titties. The nicer the tits, the bigger the hits.
Jul 7, 2017 5:59 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
New anime tends to be more widely accessible, it seems, albeit I haven't looked for a lot of old anime so I'm not *quite* sure how accessible it is. Accessibility tends to play a major role in how many people...well, access a work. 'Specially lazy little shits like myself.

There's an evolution in the way faces and stuff were drawn and noses aren't cute and have never been :VVVVVVVV I have a nose and it is the ugliest nose in all of Europe, I'm sure, so I source myself for this. The differences can be rather significant in that regard and I'm sure that acts as a barrier for some.

That'd be my biggest two guesses

Jul 7, 2017 6:02 PM

Nov 2016
Another thing is same community says recent animes shit new animes sucks , anime going downhill (i can find ton of topic about that)
Jul 7, 2017 6:04 PM

Nov 2016
It's because

Ok seriously it's most likely like keragamming said.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 7, 2017 6:06 PM

Jan 2014
slam dunk is stil 8.55 XD i prefer the old anime
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jul 7, 2017 6:07 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
EvilDuckling said:
Another thing is same community says recent animes shit new animes sucks , anime going downhill (i can find ton of topic about that)

Eh, and if you pay attention it's usually dumb shits who have complete enough anime to count on two - count 'em, two - entire hands, or blatant shitposting threads people keep biting the bait on

although if you've got a ton of topics where that isn't the case feel more than free to share them with me, would like a look tbh

Whenever it isn't a dumbass and they're not one of the two above then they're still a dumbass and get treated as such by the majority of people so eh

Jul 7, 2017 6:10 PM

Jan 2014
Manaban said:
New anime tends to be more widely accessible, it seems, albeit I haven't looked for a lot of old anime so I'm not *quite* sure how accessible it is. Accessibility tends to play a major role in how many people...well, access a work. 'Specially lazy little shits like myself.

There's an evolution in the way faces and stuff were drawn and noses aren't cute and have never been :VVVVVVVV I have a nose and it is the ugliest nose in all of Europe, I'm sure, so I source myself for this. The differences can be rather significant in that regard and I'm sure that acts as a barrier for some.

nah most old animes are quite easy to find acess to nowadays, makes no difference, its just the advertisement that affect our choice
Jul 7, 2017 6:11 PM

Jun 2014
Newer anime is way more approachable than loads of classic ones and have a much wider appeal.

I say we let them enjoy what they want. Same with classic fanatics.
Jul 7, 2017 6:12 PM

Oct 2013
If I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure its hype as people like new stuff
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
guulaash said:
Manaban said:

nah most old animes are quite easy to find acess to nowadays, makes no difference, its just the advertisement that affect our choice

Ah. I'm not particularly familiar with older anime in of themselves and I don't look into them often, rarely ever with my solid 25 episodes of pre-2000 anime seen, so I'm far from an authority on the subject.

Is it like that with just mostly mainstream old anime or in a more broad range?

Apr 2017
>I honestly thought when some older shows gets a sequels

Will it surpasses the original?

>Yes and No

Like Cmon Rating isn't a big issue here

Such Quality redeems itself
-HippySnob-Jul 7, 2017 6:45 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 7, 2017 6:17 PM

Jul 2017
keragamming said:

The newer generation cant stand older anime because of art style and animation, therefore old anime miss out on those persons.

I think it is a weird thing about anime community. While teens can watch and love old movies like the matrix, lord of the rings, star wars but can't stand old anime.
Jul 7, 2017 6:19 PM

Jan 2014
Manaban said:
guulaash said:

Ah. I'm not particularly familiar with older anime in of themselves and I don't look into them often, rarely ever with my solid 25 episodes of pre-2000 anime seen, so I'm far from an authority on the subject.

Is it like that with just mostly mainstream old anime or in a more broad range?
doesnt matter if its mainstream or not, kissanime will stil have it XD even now im watching this https://myanimelist.net/anime/2204/Karakuri_Zoushi_Ayatsuri_Sakon *loves the damn OP
youll just have to let it come to you naturally since youre not a seeker for old animes.
Jul 7, 2017 6:21 PM
Jul 2018
- Most people on here are young.
- Most people here rate everything really high.
- Those who rate really high tend to be mostly new or "casual" and rarely check out older anime.
- And this is why the ratings of newer anime are inflated.

Unpopular anime gets similar treatment.
Jul 7, 2017 6:23 PM

Feb 2015
Threads like this has to be created from someone whose new from MAL or an alt of someone who will be banned from MAL.

Jul 7, 2017 6:23 PM
Mar 2016
Younger anime fans tend to rate newer things better because it's usually what they've seen first when it comes to viewing anime, it's something that got them into anime, or it's something they've "grown up with", the same for older anime fans and old anime, though this isn't true for all of them. I know a old guy whose favorite anime is Dance of the Vampire Bund, which contrasts with a 21 year old guy I know who has the very first Gundam from 1979 as one of his favorite anime of all time.
Jul 7, 2017 6:25 PM

Jun 2014
EThMAS said:
keragamming said:

I think it is a weird thing about anime community. While teens can watch and love old movies like the matrix, lord of the rings, star wars but can't stand old anime.

I don't really find it weird at all. Newer anime has much wider appeal than older ones and that is because of how it looks and how the story is tackled.

Jul 7, 2017 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
Anime in the 80s and 90s had far different styles.

Those of us who grew up with them, probably love'em.
But I really don't see younger viewers ever getting accustomed to those styles. To them, older stuff probably looks (and sounds) like shit.
Jul 7, 2017 6:31 PM
Jun 2016
it's just because of the animetion & artwork character design
Jul 7, 2017 6:32 PM

Jun 2016
I think its because Shounen and good animation appeal more to the fans of today but I also think that the plot and characters are the biggest deciding point in the average rating. Cowboy Bebop has no clear plot but cool characters, therefore good rating. Legend of the Galactic Heroes doesn't have a variety of memorable characters but makes up for it with good plot.
Jul 7, 2017 6:44 PM

May 2015
The newer generation tends to be exposed to newer anime in their early anime watching days, while the older generation can tolerate the art style of older anime since it is where they started watching anime. And then of course there's popularity and hype of newer anime. Not much we can do about that. Just let them watch what they want to watch...
Jul 7, 2017 6:49 PM

Jul 2017
RAShafiq said:

I don't fully agree with this opinion. Some older anime have really beautiful animation and unique, cool characters design.
Jul 7, 2017 6:51 PM

Feb 2016
Darek said:
- Those who rate really high tend to be mostly new or "casual" and rarely check out older anime.

das

@EThMAS comparing MALs ranking list to that of imdb is wrong on many levels but most importantly you have to consider the life span and intensity peaks of both industries. Another one is MALs formula and the average age of these sites' users, another one is that one list contains only movies etc.

Pyxus said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes doesn't have a variety of memorable characters but makes up for it with good plot.

Do you really think the opinion of someone who has seen 8/110 episodes of the show(not counting the other installments) has any credibility? Glad you like it to some degree tho
SpaghettiSpikeJul 7, 2017 7:02 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 7, 2017 6:52 PM
Jun 2016
EThMAS said:
RAShafiq said:

I don't fully agree with this opinion. Some older anime have really beautiful animation and unique, cool characters design.

i know but i was talking about the anime community in general (since most of the 15-18)
Jul 7, 2017 6:58 PM

Nov 2013
They all end up watching the older stuff eventually if they stick around long enough.. Thinking back to when I first started, newer quality animation is all I watched and only after years of watching did I branch out to older, more experimental stuff.
Jul 7, 2017 7:05 PM

Jun 2014
YouniverSoul said:
Didn't read your post but to answer in short: Newer animes have better visual quality...which is a BIG factor for me and many others

No, they certainly do not. That's a matter of taste.

And no, higher screen resolution doesn't count.

Jul 7, 2017 7:09 PM

Mar 2016
For the most part, newer anime are more popular and popular anime have a lower ratio of harsh critics (in general).
Also, Berserk 97 is downright shit far too often for me to consider it good, considering the source. Not exactly far into it, but it's not giving me a reason to go back, so I'm holding that against it too. Point being is [whatever score it has] is probably too high, to be honest. Bitching and moaning aside, there might be a reason that some anime get lower scores than you'd like...
Jul 7, 2017 7:11 PM

Apr 2014
I think this thread is backwards.
Aren't people trashing newer anime and praising old anime?
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Jul 7, 2017 7:15 PM

Jul 2017
SpaghettiSpike said:
Darek said:

das

@EThMAS comparing MALs ranking list to that of imdb is wrong on many levels but most importantly you have to consider the life span and intensity peaks of both industries. Another one is MALs formula and the average age of these sites' users, another one is that one list contains only movies etc.

I just want to show some examples that anime fan usually prefer new shows. It's not a comparison between two sites in general.
Jul 7, 2017 7:16 PM

Oct 2010
Hype culture. I don't think people care that much about artstyles in general, but they do care about what is trendy. Older shows that are way past their prime will typically not generate an active fanbase around them, simply because the show already offered what it had to and it is not talked about that much anymore. This leads to less people accessing older anime, which means less ratings, and more weight for each rating to hold on the global average, which may explain the more irregular and unstable average ratings older shows tend to have.
Jul 7, 2017 7:20 PM

Feb 2016
EThMAS said:
SpaghettiSpike said:

das

I just want to show some examples that anime fan usually prefer new shows. It's not a comparison between two sites in general.

Ye, its alright I just wanted to give possible reasons for why these rankings look like they do. The sites parameters also have influence on how their rankings look like.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 7, 2017 7:23 PM

Jul 2017
TobiOrNotTobi said:

It's just a small group of nostalgic fans in comparison with all of anime fans.
Jul 7, 2017 7:24 PM

Mar 2014
i thought the answer is obvious bcz there is hype on new anime
Jul 7, 2017 7:25 PM

Apr 2014
EThMAS said:
TobiOrNotTobi said:

It's just a small group of nostalgic fans in comparison with all of anime fans.

Oh, I see.
Well, we can always create an anime using the old anime art style and sound effects. It's "new"
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Jul 7, 2017 7:34 PM

Jul 2017
I think one of reasons may be because of recommendations.

Facebook pages and groups about anime and top 10 lists on the internet, which are appeal the most to new anime fans, usually recommend new stuff like Tokyo Ghoul, One Punch Man, AOT, SAO...
Jul 7, 2017 7:38 PM

Oct 2015

^this(stolen from darek)
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jul 7, 2017 7:46 PM

Jul 2017
_Lightsbane said:
Anime in the 80s and 90s had far different styles.

Those of us who grew up with them, probably love'em.
But I really don't see younger viewers ever getting accustomed to those styles. To them, older stuff probably looks (and sounds) like shit.

This may be another reason. New anime fans usually like "moe" art style.

While art style isn't too much important to me, I can see how people can rate an anime low because it isn't "moe".
EThMASJul 7, 2017 8:34 PM
Jul 7, 2017 7:57 PM

Jul 2016
I like sexy anime. When I can't find things I want to see from this decade, I look for buried treasures.

I'm downloading a lot before I watch much so I don't run out for a while. Everything on my list is on my computer, so I have to find ways to keep cramming more.

I have several still to add to my Plan To Watch, including this:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1082/Hikari_to_Mizu_no_Daphne

It's from 2004. Anime with an average score between 6 and 7 tends to have the content I desire.
Jul 7, 2017 8:23 PM

Jul 2017
jal90 said:
Hype culture. I don't think people care that much about artstyles in general, but they do care about what is trendy. Older shows that are way past their prime will typically not generate an active fanbase around them, simply because the show already offered what it had to and it is not talked about that much anymore. This leads to less people accessing older anime, which means less ratings, and more weight for each rating to hold on the global average, which may explain the more irregular and unstable average ratings older shows tend to have.

I kinda agree with this. Anime streaming sites like Crunchyroll usually promote new or seasonal anime, social media like facebook, youtube and internet forums prefer discussing about seasonal anime. These things made people overhype and overrate new stuffs.
EThMASJul 7, 2017 8:32 PM
Jul 7, 2017 8:36 PM

Aug 2016
Because new anime is more recent and connected to us as people living in this decade. Also more recent=better quality.
Jul 7, 2017 8:50 PM

Aug 2016
Sequels have higher scores
Gintama, other than 2006, covers 5 more spots so in total it's 6/20

It's better to use consolidated scores

Through consolidation:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/40us37/mals_consolidated_top_100/

13/20 are franchises that started airing before 2010 that are in the top 20

Jul 7, 2017 8:54 PM

Jul 2017
After thinking a while, I found out the the main reason here is overhype. New anime that are rated highly usually are promoted and discussed a lot.

Not only old anime but also new anime that weren't hyped up can be easily received poorly.

Jul 7, 2017 8:54 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ask yourself how often you watch movies from the 80s and before?

you can't expect the people who didn't grow up watching 80s and 90s anime to want to watch them just because theyre there

for the most part, people are going to stick with what they grew up with or is part of their generation, and some young people just don't like the older artstyles

as someone who grew up in the 90s im always watching 80s and 90s anime because theyre what got me into the medium and i still love everything about them, but i don't think theyre better or worse than new anime
Jul 7, 2017 8:58 PM

Jun 2014
EThMAS said:
After thinking a while, I found out the the main reason here is overhype. New anime that are rated highly usually are promoted and discussed a lot.

Not only old anime but also new anime that weren't hyped up can be easily received poorly.

Its not overhype.

Sales increased when anime took a new direction.New anime has a far wider appeal.
Jul 7, 2017 9:00 PM

Jun 2016
Truth be told, I like newer anime because of the animation quality. And the only anime from the 90s which I really loved its animation is Cowboy Bebop. And I guess basing on the Top Rated Anime on MAL is really ridiculous, most of those shows aren't that good. Haha.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 17 minutes ago

2 by JKKH »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Yesterday

59 by AzafuseKingTora »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 1 hour ago

9 by Ricchan__ »»
23 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

36 by Vendicator »»
38 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Yesterday

36 by inim »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.