Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Altair: A Record of Battles
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2017 10:42 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good start so far.

The OP song is fitting and they introduced the setting rather well. Plus, I like the animation style so far. It has the combination feel of historical military fiction with a bit of realism. MAPPA did good job there imo.

Tughril Mahmu is an interesting character imo, hopefully this show will focus on his development. (he reminds me slighly of Arslan) It's nice that they show some of his background story already. The most noticable female character is Shahra so far imo. Otherwise, this was my most anticipated show of the season. Always wanted to see this manga adapted and it's a 2-cour dream come true :D

There's good amount of military strategies, world building, etc. Can't wait to see more.
Stark700Jul 7, 2017 10:48 AM
Jul 7, 2017 11:46 AM

Nov 2015
He reminded me of Meliodas for some reason. The customs are really good and the visuals really fit. I liked this episode and I expect more from this show. And I'm also obsessed with the ED already!
xullJul 7, 2017 11:57 AM

Jul 7, 2017 11:53 AM
May 2010
Not sure if I have the patience for this because politics, first thing that came to mind 5 seconds in
was arslan(hint: hawk) but of course its nothing a like, other than that seems solid albeit slow start.
Jul 7, 2017 11:59 AM

Jun 2014
This was really good! They definitely did the manga justice, such a great first episode! I love the OST already and I'm looking forward for this story to continue. I wonder how far they'll reach into the manga with 2 cours. The staff have proven themselves with this first episode, at least in my eyes. I wasn't sure about Mahmut's voice actor pick, but I'm convinced that it was a good choice after this episode. Also, THAT ED is so good, I love how they used the art from manga volume covers as his costumes.
alpha_shadowJul 7, 2017 12:08 PM
:3
Jul 7, 2017 12:09 PM

Mar 2009
way too much plot in one episode for me to give a shit about literally anything that happened

art is good and ed is nice at least
Jul 7, 2017 12:13 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty good start.

Looks like a politics heavy show and will probably involve a lot of strategy and battles, I'm definitely excited for that.
The soundtrack especially towards the end where they trapped the opposing goons was really good.

If anything, I think they could've done a better job in terms of introduction to the world and series. They pretty much threw us into the middle of a plot with very brief details on the world and it's condition with almost little to no set up/introduction. I suppose there will be more exposition in further episodes and I'll be looking forward to that.

I liked Shara, hope we see more of her. However, Iskender is my favorite character so far. XD

Glad to see the Turkiye empire was able to avoid war.
Jul 7, 2017 12:17 PM

Feb 2014
MAPPA once again delivering quality on the animation front. The story I am not sold yet but its definitely worth a four episode test. I can see a lot of people not giving this a chance because the politics involved.
Jul 7, 2017 12:31 PM

Nov 2014
The first episode was pretty good (although I was a bit annoyed at the beginning as I don't particularly like characters like Shara).

I don't tend to like shows that are heavy on the politics, but so far, I think I'll continue on with the series and see where it goes. I'm interested in seeing how Mahmut meets the two characters by his side at the beginning of the OP.

Also, love the ED.
Jul 7, 2017 12:42 PM

Feb 2012
It was an ok-to-good first episode imo, I like the art and the story setting since I've already been reading the manga for a couple of years now and I'm a history fan in general, and know a lot about Ottoman Empire, but its true what other ppl are saying how they threw us into Turkiye without telling much about the country and how the government works. Hope they expend more on this later on.

Btw its really funny to hear them say Pasha lol. Looking forward to more for sure, it def has a potential to be a good adaptation. And yeah the ED is amazing, OP is so-so.

Big shout out to my mustache man Shapka Ibrahim.
Jul 7, 2017 12:50 PM

Dec 2015
I didn't like the first episode to be honest, the mc looks more like a brat who likes to throw a tantrum and then try to prove he was right, rather than someone who chooses his words and actions carefully.

This whole assassination thing was solved far too quickly if you ask me, I would've preferred if they stretched it out for another episode to make it look more significant, rather than solve it in half an episode, after all this was supposed to be something important.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 7, 2017 12:59 PM

Jan 2015
Eeeeeh, so many things happened in this first episode

It's been a while I've heard such a great ED

ufufufu said:
way too much plot in one episode for me to give a shit about literally anything that happened

Exactly

Jul 7, 2017 1:03 PM

May 2010
daaaamn.. my friday is at 5 episodes already! cant possibly pass on this one tho.
Jul 7, 2017 1:17 PM

Feb 2014
So is this show based on real world encounters like The Heroic Legend of Arslan?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 7, 2017 1:24 PM

Feb 2014
Good first episode. I hope this series will be 2 cours.
Jul 7, 2017 1:26 PM

Jun 2014
Michaels_World said:
Good first episode. I hope this series will be 2 cours.

It will be, it is confirmed.
:3
Jul 7, 2017 1:28 PM

Dec 2014
I've been hearing about this one for a long time; but for some reason never picked up the manga. I'm a sucker for politics stories so this one is a must watch for sure. I'll have to start reading the manga though, as I suspect they will leave out a lot of important info given the dialogue heavy genre.
Jul 7, 2017 1:38 PM

Aug 2013
Politics and historical military fiction. I'm looking forward to this.

I agree with most people that they could've done a better job at explaining about the world first. I'm guessing they'll explain that later. Also that assassination conspiracy was solved really quick.

Mahmut was able to prevent war for now.

Jul 7, 2017 1:46 PM

Apr 2017
I hope it doesn't mess up in the future. It seems kinda interesting.
Jul 7, 2017 1:53 PM

Jan 2009
Had a solid start, liking this so far. They changed the order of the things that happened in the manga and to be honest, if I didn't read the first few chapters before watching this episode, I'd have a hard time following everything that has happened. It is pretty fast paced so far but not that I'm complaining. It might have turned boring if it was any slower.

On the other hand, as a Turkish person, I knew this anime wouldn't disappoint me with how Turkish words are pronounced. I had quite an amusing time listening each time they said Türkiye, İskender, Mahmut Tuğrul and Halil. Well, I had a hunch it'd be like this since it's not an easy thing to pronounce foreign words, especially when the other language has voices that you don't have in your mother tongue. They did quite a good job despite that ^^
Jul 7, 2017 2:06 PM

Jan 2012
Not convinced.
I don't think they ever what a pasha is supposed to be? How are they even chosen? Did I miss it?

And that assassination plot was solved so easily. Could see it coming miles away... not that everything needs to be complicated.
Jul 7, 2017 2:14 PM
Jan 2015
The pacing felt off but I liked the episode overall. Don't be disecouraged by the pacing, hopefully it will get better by the 2nd episode.
Jul 7, 2017 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
Whao! Dat animation and great introduction! That hype was actually was real! I am really having very good feeling from this show. Also the last 30second showed the real villain already. Great MC also! This show became one of top three show in the season for me by now.

Everything was done top-notch since "MAPPA the great" handling this show!

removed-userJul 7, 2017 3:15 PM
Jul 7, 2017 2:26 PM
Aug 2011
My Fridays are stacked<3, worth wading through all the other seasonal crap, just to reach this point of the week. :3

I had high expectations and am quite happy with this first episode. It's not about solving subplots quickly, but rather about how it builds upon itself. Although I do suppose more exposition would've been welcome for once.
glad for the no A-1 Pictures or Kaji Yuki
standJul 7, 2017 2:38 PM
Jul 7, 2017 2:28 PM

Nov 2016
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who was kinda lost during this episode, maybe I should read the manga in addition.

Not a big sucker for politics, but the setting is very interesting and it's done by Mappa, so I'm gonna stick with it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 7, 2017 2:30 PM

Sep 2016
I had this as a "maybe" anime, but with this start, it's there for AOTS already and maybe AOTY.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Jul 7, 2017 2:42 PM
Jan 2017
The show is off to a good start. Mahmut is an interesting protagonist and the show offers a good look to his background and development. It's also interesting to see the political intrigue and subterfuge in the setting that Mahmut will have to solve. The designs are beautiful, the music is incredible and the voice performances are amazing. It definitely is a keeper for this season.
Jul 7, 2017 2:55 PM

May 2014
Mahmut reminds me of a less angry Yuri Plisetsky

I was really hyped for this, so maybe that's why I'm a bit disappointed in the first episode.
It didn't really feel like a first episode, rather like I was dumped in the middle of the 3rd or 4th or something...but hey it's got ample time to grab me, I guess.

A lot of the premier episodes this season are okay, but nothing that I could see myself getting excited for every week.

There's really not much else to say aside from the fact that the series is giving me Arslan Senki x Magi vibes. Tbh, I might just wait until it finishes airing to give it a shot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2017 3:02 PM

Jun 2014
I'm always a sucker for historical anime so I'll definitely keep my eye on this one. I agree that it feels like the assassination thing was solved too quickly and easily, but it's just 1 episode out of 24/25 (cool to see this confirmed as 2 cour), so there's always room for improvement. Pretty decent to good start so far, looking forward to seeing more.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 7, 2017 3:04 PM

Jan 2016
An OK first episode but I'm sure that it will be better than this. I've been looking forward to this anime and it looks like it will be a good one. Introduction episodes doesn't always have to be great.

Arslan Senki vibes with Magi world
Jul 7, 2017 3:06 PM

Feb 2013
Finally an anime about Ottoman. As a Turk I am very happy. I liked 1st episode.
Jul 7, 2017 3:15 PM

Jul 2013
I like it so far, the pace was a bit fast, but the story presented was interesting. I hope they explore the setting later, since an anime about Ottomans is very rare to see.
I hope it doesn't ends as another Arslan Senki, btw.
Jul 7, 2017 3:24 PM
Mar 2016
ufufufu said:

well, as well in manga

NdanHMJul 7, 2017 3:29 PM
Jul 7, 2017 3:33 PM

Oct 2014
Great art and animation (as expected from MAPPA). But I didn't really give a shit about the main character so it was quite boring.

Maybe it will get more interesting in a few eps time.
Animus and mangos
Jul 7, 2017 3:39 PM

May 2015
Felt a bit too fast in my opinion. It felt like it went from one scene to another, and the transition didn't exactly feel smooth at times. Other than that, it was quite interesting. Let's see what this show has in store.

Jul 7, 2017 3:50 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Really enjoyed this. Gave me a low level LOGH vibe. No unnecessary comedy or token loli characters to take away fromt he story. I'm sure the MC will be developed soon enough. Audiences have lost patience and expect everything to be delivered in the first episode.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 7, 2017 4:09 PM

Sep 2013
Will wait for the prelimary data about this anime. I don't want to be disappointed with another Arslan, Yona, Alderamin etc.
Jul 7, 2017 4:20 PM

Sep 2016
it's pretty hard watching dialogue heavy anime like this when you already read the manga. I just know that sooner or later I'll definitely get tired of this. I didn't feel excited watching this episode while the manga was really interesting to marathon because it's really easy to read and skim through bunch of text on my own pace since it's not animated. The scenes transition in this episode also isn't really smooth, just went from point A to B to C.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 7, 2017 4:28 PM

Jul 2017
Liked the art style and the mood and detail of the setting.

Better than I expected it to be! Will be watching. I just hope I will end up liking it more than arslan senki
Jul 7, 2017 5:11 PM

Jul 2009
Lyrisia said:
Not convinced.
I don't think they ever what a pasha is supposed to be? How are they even chosen? Did I miss it?

And that assassination plot was solved so easily. Could see it coming miles away... not that everything needs to be complicated.

You didn't miss anything. They didn't share any info about that. I lost patience and went to google xD
Jul 7, 2017 5:25 PM

Jan 2016
Inugirlz said:
Lyrisia said:
Not convinced.

You didn't miss anything. They didn't share any info about that. I lost patience and went to google xD

From SnA Wikia the title Pasha.
DEUS VULT! Let's bring some gunpowder firearms

Jul 7, 2017 5:40 PM

Jul 2009
Sevenman2345 said:
Inugirlz said:

From SnA Wikia the title Pasha.

Awesome, thanks :3
Jul 7, 2017 5:47 PM

Jan 2013
As a Turk i've found this interesting, in a good meaning. But empire name -Turkiye- isn't correct, of course it's not the real history but still, this is Ottoman Empire. It's okay tho. Mahmut is interesting as well, but his appereance doesn't look like a Turk, lol. It's okay, too. btw, they're pronouncing Halil Pasha's name wrongly, and it's annoying. :( However, I will continue to watch this, I'm curious.
Jul 7, 2017 5:53 PM

Jan 2016
Lynfield said:
As a Turk i've found this interesting, in a good meaning. But empire name -Turkiye- isn't correct, of course it's not the real history but still, this is Ottoman Empire. It's okay tho. Mahmut is interesting as well, but his appereance doesn't look like a Turk, lol. It's okay, too. btw, they're pronouncing Halil Pasha's name wrongly, and it's annoying. :( However, I will continue to watch this, I'm curious.

Can't really argue with that perhaps probably Armenias or Balkans?
Lynfield said:

Can't really argue with that, perhaps Mahmut is more somewhere far-land in the anime and in real-life probably the Balkans or Armenian. Other anime be like: there is a blonde-Japanese guy even though there is no such thing.......
DEUS VULT! Let's bring some gunpowder firearms

Jul 7, 2017 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
Hey nice to see Arslan season 3 started...oh wait...ah okay nevermind the vibes there was...okay anywho. So this show piqued my interest but that pacing was all kinds of what the hell for an info dump in one episode. Hopefully this vibe won't continue in the coming episodes since ya know, MAPPA up in here. Anyways, the animation and visuals are very nice as is the soundtrack. The OP and ED are kinda okay, I might have to relisten to em next week but not too into it yet. Gonna stick with this for a few eps to see where it goes. Hooray, now my watch list for this season's shows are up to 5.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 7, 2017 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
Sevenman2345 said:
Lynfield said:

Can't really argue with that perhaps probably Armenias or Balkans?
Lynfield said:

Can't really argue with that, perhaps Mahmut is more somewhere far-land in the anime and in real-life probably the Balkans or Armenian. Other anime be like: there is a blonde-Japanese guy even though there is no such thing.......

Yup you can be right. Generally, most anime characters are like that. But idk, Mahmut is the main character of the Ottoman Empire in this anime (i'll say like this) and i was expecting more like Turkish. :( But on the other hand if Mahmut were like İbrahim (cuz İbrahim totally looks like Turk) it wouldn't be that insteresting. :D
Jul 7, 2017 6:26 PM

Dec 2016
Feels a bit like Arslan Senki.

Wow, the eagle absolutely destroyed that thief's arm.

I really like this MC, smart kid who's action are based on what he believes in his heart is right.

And he is a pretty good fighter.

Jul 7, 2017 7:04 PM

Mar 2012
Good show. I'm watching this.
Jul 7, 2017 7:54 PM

Oct 2012
The character design, costumes and setting are all really cool and the story seems interesting. I didn't feel really invested in the characters yet and the direction lacked excitement. Hoping those points improve, quickly.
Jul 7, 2017 8:43 PM
Jan 2013
Lynfield said:

Ramkec said:
It was an ok-to-good first episode imo, I like the art and the story setting since I've already been reading the manga for a couple of years now and I'm a history fan in general, and know a lot about Ottoman Empire, but its true what other ppl are saying how they threw us into Turkiye without telling much about the country and how the government works. Hope they expend more on this later on.

Btw its really funny to hear them say Pasha lol. Looking forward to more for sure, it def has a potential to be a good adaptation. And yeah the ED is amazing, OP is so-so.

Big shout out to my mustache man Shapka Ibrahim.

Ottoman Emp.: Turkish Turkiye... anatolia name in 11th century Not Ottoman Empire, Türkiye... The founders of the Ottoman empire immigrated from Asia.
And they was Amalgamate(appaned-add) themselves the Turkish peoples who migrated with them.
Ottoman epm. not say any time own ottoman emp. Ottoman "family" name. Founder Osman gazi. Father name. name of dynasty the Ottoman not all country... It goes in the state records as name "Devlet-i Aliye" not ottoman or osmanlı... and It was known by foreign countries as the Turkish state or Turkiye..
Sample: Timur, Karahanlı, Safevi, Avşar emp.
This country or states in same time Ottoman emp. live in asia and Anatolia..
full_metallJul 7, 2017 8:57 PM
Jul 7, 2017 8:50 PM

Jul 2016
This episode was good. The art was really good (it's MAPPA), the ost was pleasant (especially during the dancing scene). Also, about that dancing scene, Shahra just became waifu. I dunno why but I'm not even questioning it.

Also, that ED was amazing!

I'm really looking forward to this series.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2017

60 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 11, 2023 8:49 PM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

47 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 10, 2023 10:48 PM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

41 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 10, 2023 5:43 AM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2017

42 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 8, 2023 11:58 PM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2017

46 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.