Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 7, 2017 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The time themes are so evident in this...
Hell, it's even in the OP song.

Wu seems like a badass glasses dude while Victor debuts more like a playboy. The comedy felt strangely timed imo.

The animation isn't bad so far. The story imo feels so-so at the moment but it's the first episode so I'll give more chances.
Stark700Jul 8, 2017 10:04 AM
Jul 7, 2017 8:58 AM

Nov 2015
Animation looks really off at some points. Victor has fast handwriting lol. And the dogs eyes were really apart, killed the cuteness.

Jul 8, 2017 9:56 AM

Dec 2015
Was expecting something good out of this, but I don't know what to think about it now. Plot feels too rushed and super forced.
Jul 8, 2017 2:42 PM
Apr 2014
Crunchyroll said they were simulcasting this and they still have not uploaded the episode since yesterday. lol
Jul 8, 2017 9:46 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Neji1809 said:
Crunchyroll said they were simulcasting this and they still have not uploaded the episode since yesterday. lol
They just said they would simulcast it but they never said when it will happen..
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 9, 2017 12:16 AM
Sep 2012
Was pretty impressed with this. Went in with no expectations and was pleasently surprised. Was way better production-wise than I was expecting, and the theme pretty interesting. Now to see if it can build on it or not.
Jul 9, 2017 12:50 PM

Nov 2014
DatRandomDude said:
Neji1809 said:
They just said they would simulcast it but they never said when it will happen..

Doesn't simulcast mean they will release/stream it simultaneously?
Jul 9, 2017 1:15 PM

Dec 2014
Don't know about this one. The comedy seemed really unnecessary in what could have been a perfectly fine dark setting. Then again Putin "brothers" lol. The snow effect was a bit too dirstracting, especially during the fight. Will see how it goes moving forward.
AnathorJul 9, 2017 1:22 PM
Jul 9, 2017 2:35 PM

Oct 2011
As mentioned before, the animation seems off at times. The dialog could have been improved - in the manga it was cramped up like that because this story was a one-shot & in the actual serialization they basically copy-pasted it, but I was hoping in the anime it would be polished up. Anyway, in terms of dialog and story it gets better later. The comedy unfortunately is here to stay. I like that they put the reveal that Victor is actually Wu's father at the end of this episode rather than keep it for later

Jul 9, 2017 2:42 PM

Mar 2016
Meh...just an ok so-so first episode that felt lacking. A lot of cramming exposition in all at once which made it hard to have a sincere connection to the characters and their pains. Also most of the twist and turns felt obvious and came off telegraphed...that is except for the final twist there at the end Victo is Kiri's FATHER!

Well I'm not 100% sold on this anime just yet but it could still be a good one down the road we will have to wait and see...
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Jul 9, 2017 3:02 PM
Aug 2015
Think the idea of this show is quite good, enjoyed the first episode!
Jul 9, 2017 3:15 PM

Sep 2011
psicosisbk said:
I usually never drop animes, and almost never drop one at first ep but this one, this one is special in that way. I've never seen something so awful.

The episode wasn't really that bad compared to everything else airing this season.

Im surprised you would drop this one instantly considering your top ratings on your list. Some of those had almost objectively worse writing and some had subjectively worse animation, yet you still gave them a high score. I can only presume from your list that you rate very highly on entertainment value, and this episode, while it had some very big flaws, wasn't completely void of entertainment. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are free to enjoy anime however you want and I will not judge whether your taste is good or bad. My own taste is awful but I can still acknowledge good writing, sound, and animation when I see it (this series overall did not have any of the three, but there were spots where it worked ok). My philosophy and yours seem to completely clash which has made me quite interested in your opinion. What completely tipped you over the edge as to drop this after the first episode?
Jul 9, 2017 3:31 PM

Oct 2016
I'll admit that the bit about Victor being Wu's dad caught me off guard.
If they have a few more character details/reveals like that, this may get redemption.

However, there's no objective in sight beyond bring back Wu's mom.
Unfortunately, this world is weirdly convenient/inconvenient in that time altering things are either only used for the Faustian deals or for combat.
Also I don't mention Koyuki's brother because it appears that at the end of the episode she just heads off on a train for god knows what reason.
In addition, she isn't listed as a main character by MAL, or even as a supporting character.
This unfortunately leads me to draw the conclusion that this will be episodic.

The poster art shows the two Putin relatives with a ton of other characters and an incredibly obvious and typical "final boss".
Most likely that he, the white haired dude on the poster, will be the overall objective and I'm betting he's probably the one who killed Wu's mom.
There'll be some order to the following episodes to introduce these characters, but there'll probably be one or two throwaway episodes like this one that focus a random civilian who won't matter later on.(Unless they do)

Also the unknown episode count concerns me.
I'm assuming 12 episodes, but I have high doubts about how they could stretch the plot any further.

Granted this is all just based off of initial impressions, but in short the first episode was okay, but not great.
I don't have high hopes for the future either since the source material, the manga, is actually rated worse than the anime.
No Drop has me in a headlock, so all I can do is hope they don't make the following episodes painful or don't make over 14 episodes.
Jul 9, 2017 3:37 PM

Jun 2015
Decent episode. The comedy is really unnecessary. Animation is okay. Poor girl wanted her brother back, but that comes with a price. Victor being Wu's father was unexpected.
Jul 9, 2017 4:41 PM

Sep 2011
psicosisbk said:
Shirasho said:

The episode wasn't really that bad compared to everything else airing this season.

Im surprised you would drop this one instantly considering your top ratings on your list. Some of those had almost objectively worse writing and some had subjectively worse animation, yet you still gave them a high score. I can only presume from your list that you rate very highly on entertainment value, and this episode, while it had some very big flaws, wasn't completely void of entertainment. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are free to enjoy anime however you want and I will not judge whether your taste is good or bad. My own taste is awful but I can still acknowledge good writing, sound, and animation when I see it (this series overall did not have any of the three, but there were spots where it worked ok). My philosophy and yours seem to completely clash which has made me quite interested in your opinion. What completely tipped you over the edge as to drop this after the first episode?

I score anime based on my own criteria of as you said of entertainment and enjoyment, I'm not an "anime connoisseur" nor I don't look for shows that are objetively good, I want to see something that catch my feelings or that I can connect with, either with the story or the characters. When I see something cheap, rushed and targeted for younger people with power fantasies is not what I'm looking for.
Like, I don't buy it, you know? Why the time powers gave the white haired dude magic card tricks? Or why the Time Dudes uses a magic sword of powerfull magic time? Swords and time doesn't suit very well together at all. The main girl doesn't bring anything to the story more than "I'm a girl and I will be either the love interest of any of the siblings or the girl who is there because the show need a girl".
Why would they reveal that the white hair dude is the father of the other one at the first episode? Like, they could show us what happened but no, let's just put a flashback just at the end of the episode and keep going on.
I don't know how to explain, it's just awful.
The show wants us to take it seriously and then they make a stupid joke wich ruins the mood.
At the end it's just a "we fight generic monster with magic tricks that came out of nowhere cause it looks so COOL, doesn't it?"
It's not a show for me, I don't like it but I don't judge anyone who enjoys watching it or thinks it's either not that bad or good.

I get where you are coming from. I tend to have the same viewpoint, though my tolerance for such a thing is much higher. That is a perfectly acceptable way of looking at it, and your higher ratings definitely reflect this. Very few of your higher rated shows have this upfront chuunibyou ballocks shoved right in your face at the very beginning. I could be misinterpreting you here, but I feel like you enjoy a sense of progression. Absolutely fair, and looking at it that way I completely understand your decision to drop this.

Speaking of your list, the ones that are objectively worse in writing which you rated higher, excluding the ecchi series like KissXSis and To Love-Ru, were Dragonball GT, Bleach, Rokka no Yuusha (the worst offender in this list since it breaks almost half of the rules to writing a _fair_ and good mystery), Vampire Knight, Deadman Wonderland (at least everything after episode 1), and Ergo Proxy. Now, we could also add the series which had decent overall writing but terrible first episodes like Drifters, Serial Experiments Lain, Claymore, InuYasha, and Netoge.

I don't disagree with you though. The writing for this episode was awful, but there are a lot worse out there. Could it improve next week? Maybe. Will it? I doubt it. That's why I have the 3 episode rule. There are so many good series out there that had absolutely awful first episodes. Drifters was really good, but the first episode had me close to dropping it.
ShirashoJul 9, 2017 4:45 PM
Jul 9, 2017 6:03 PM
Jan 2017
I only watched the episode two days later because the streaming site had a delay. Anyway, this was a good way to set up the series. This episode has the right amount of quirky humor and poignant pathos, especially when Kiri and Victor are together. The animation is beautiful and the music is incredible, particularly during the action sequences.
Jul 9, 2017 6:48 PM

Jan 2016
It has interesting plot IMO.. Looking forward for another episodes :)
Jul 9, 2017 6:53 PM

Dec 2011
Shirasho said:
psicosisbk said:

I score anime based on my own criteria of as you said of entertainment and enjoyment, I'm not an "anime connoisseur" nor I don't look for shows that are objetively good, I want to see something that catch my feelings or that I can connect with, either with the story or the characters. When I see something cheap, rushed and targeted for younger people with power fantasies is not what I'm looking for.
Like, I don't buy it, you know? Why the time powers gave the white haired dude magic card tricks? Or why the Time Dudes uses a magic sword of powerfull magic time? Swords and time doesn't suit very well together at all. The main girl doesn't bring anything to the story more than "I'm a girl and I will be either the love interest of any of the siblings or the girl who is there because the show need a girl".
Why would they reveal that the white hair dude is the father of the other one at the first episode? Like, they could show us what happened but no, let's just put a flashback just at the end of the episode and keep going on.
The show wants us to take it seriously and then they make a stupid joke wich ruins the mood.
At the end it's just a "we fight generic monster with magic tricks that came out of nowhere cause it looks so COOL, doesn't it?"
It's not a show for me, I don't like it but I don't judge anyone who enjoys watching it or thinks it's either not that bad or good.

I get where you are coming from. I tend to have the same viewpoint, though my tolerance for such a thing is much higher. That is a perfectly acceptable way of looking at it, and your higher ratings definitely reflect this. Very few of your higher rated shows have this upfront chuunibyou ballocks shoved right in your face at the very beginning. I could be misinterpreting you here, but I feel like you enjoy a sense of progression. Absolutely fair, and looking at it that way I completely understand your decision to drop this.

Speaking of your list, the ones that are objectively worse in writing which you rated higher, excluding the ecchi series like KissXSis and To Love-Ru, were Dragonball GT, Bleach, Rokka no Yuusha (the worst offender in this list since it breaks almost half of the rules to writing a _fair_ and good mystery), Vampire Knight, Deadman Wonderland (at least everything after episode 1), and Ergo Proxy. Now, we could also add the series which had decent overall writing but terrible first episodes like Drifters, Serial Experiments Lain, Claymore, InuYasha, and Netoge.

I don't disagree with you though. The writing for this episode was awful, but there are a lot worse out there. Could it improve next week? Maybe. Will it? I doubt it. That's why I have the 3 episode rule. There are so many good series out there that had absolutely awful first episodes. Drifters was really good, but the first episode had me close to dropping it.

I am not afraid to admit I am very judgmental and will do so let's get that out of the way before I criticize.

But you saying that you will not judge whether his (psicosisbk) taste is good or bad, yet checks his list and rating and call him out for it. Ironic.
Jul 9, 2017 6:56 PM

Jul 2009
This has got to be the most generic first episode ever. I'll still watch it but there wasn't a single good thing about this. I suppose the ending was a little interesting. It's actually a father-son pair.

psicosisbk said:
I usually never drop animes, and almost never drop one at first ep but this one, this one is special in that way. I've never seen something so awful.

You basically said exactly what was wrong with this episode. I agree. I usually don't drop so soon either (and I probably will still give this a chance) but this episode was a special kind of painful.
InugirlzJul 9, 2017 7:01 PM
Jul 9, 2017 8:31 PM

Jan 2017
It seems like your typical shounen. The way the show went about handling the shifts in tone were bad unfortunately.
Jul 9, 2017 8:36 PM

Apr 2011
I love the concept of time abilities, but can they only control objects????

the animation didn't meet my expectations

and THEY KEEP TALKING LIKE WHAT? BLAH BLAH YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE PAST. the amount of overly drawn talking is ridiculous. was it to drill that reality into the Koyuki's head?

the ending was laughable almost like Koyuki was just a damsel of the week.

Victo and Kiri's twist was surprising for sure.
Jul 9, 2017 11:03 PM

Jan 2014
This has a reallllyy strong resemblance to some of the fight scenes used in K. Maybe they're directed by the same person.

Either way, the animation is quite sub-par compared to other shows that are airing and the comedy feels very 'lolrandom'.

Feels like a poor man's Bungou Stray Dogs.

It's very jarring with the shift of tone changes that happened frequently.

The ending was somewhat interesting.

This show is probably one of the worst shows to be airing this season. That's a shame. I wanted it to be pretty good.
Jul 10, 2017 1:46 AM

Jul 2017
umm....it doesn't convince me that much, writing was forced and rushed as hell and I am still no sure witch part of the world is the setting even supposed to be...

But I will give it one or two episodes more before deciding to drop it
Jul 10, 2017 3:01 AM
Jul 2017
i am new to myanimelist and i am a bit confuse, everyone here see the flaws of the anime and i see it to, soo... why the 2 reviews are so dam high score?, not just this anime, there is a lot of bad anime with ridiculous high score in this site , they are like "omg cool design this anime is 10/10"
Jul 10, 2017 6:03 AM

Oct 2013
"Slow down", how to have an excuse for doing some scenes of an anime slow and laggy as fuck

PS : also... THIS is supposed to be cute ?! what a freak!
TitadouJul 10, 2017 6:08 AM
Jul 10, 2017 6:39 AM

Jun 2013
that was pretty generic
Jul 10, 2017 6:51 AM

Jun 2013
Oh cmon what with the hate! Lackluster animation aside, this was pretty fun!
Jul 10, 2017 8:20 AM

Apr 2013
Am i weird or this episode was kinda similiar to first episode of d.gray-man? xD
Jul 10, 2017 8:59 AM

May 2008
The fight scenes and atmosphere sort of remind me of K Project and D Gray Man...except this is just done super poorly. It feels rushed, nothing makes sense, the acting is too over dramatic, and the execution just isn't done right. Plus there's too many scene shifts with too many characters way too fast.

Not sure if I'll drop this or not. I'll watch 3 episodes before making that choice.

Jul 10, 2017 9:02 AM

Dec 2014
well that was totally a twist ...the kid was the father...I was so not expecting that
Jul 10, 2017 11:04 AM

Jul 2015
Episode wast half bad, kind of liked the OST and also the animation was ok.
Story seems interesting enoght to keep me going.
Jul 10, 2017 11:14 AM

Nov 2007
anime:"my father"...me:*gasps*
lmao

anyway,they were in anime Prague aka city in which i spend some years of my life,so that was cute.
didn't like the comedy but otherwise it wasn't that terrible,just generic
Jul 10, 2017 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, pretty much generic from tip to toes. But Kiri saying Victo is his father made me stay on this for the next episode. Will see how it goes then decide whether to drop it or not.
Jul 10, 2017 11:46 AM

Jul 2017
I think this is the first time I couldn't make it through an episode one. Holy god this was really bad.

The comedy, the characters, the atmosphere, just everything was ekk.
Jul 10, 2017 12:28 PM

May 2010
What the hell is this show even about...
Jul 10, 2017 1:21 PM

Oct 2014
The animation was ok, the characters were pretty generic and the dialogue was god awful at times. But I thought that the soundtrack was pretty good and the reveal at the end was good.
Animus and mangos
Jul 10, 2017 2:26 PM

Nov 2014
I really wanted this series to be brilliant but kinda expected the worst reading other peoples comments.... Watched it myself (finally) and it's not bad kinda one persons trash is another persons 25 minutes on the crosstrainer time well spent before work.
Jul 10, 2017 3:26 PM

Jul 2014
They even had splash screens giving the name of the ability they just shouted the name of. I almost want to keep watching to see just how terrible this can get, but no.
Jul 10, 2017 11:11 PM

Oct 2008
the power to slow down time is a bit godlike...even if they don't have the power to go back or go forward...
4/5.

Jul 10, 2017 11:26 PM

Nov 2011
Don't know what the hell you guys are on about. The animation is great, you guys are just being excessively snobby thinking it makes you sound smart. Fuck outta here.
Jul 11, 2017 7:07 AM

Oct 2016
14:00 was like INCURSIOOO

I haven't watched Saint Seiya but this is awfully like Gintama's parody of Saint Seiya
Germs_N_SpicesJul 11, 2017 7:13 AM
Jul 11, 2017 5:43 PM

Jul 2016
I think that we found out too much too soon...I mean, how awesome would it be if we found out that Victor is Kiri's father at the 8th episode?? RIGHT???????

Also, Jun Fukuyama's screams reminded me of Grell Sutcliff a lot (whom I am in love with) and then I realised that Kiri looks like Sebastian Michaelis with glasses??????

Well, this will probably be a boring experience. We'll see.
Jul 11, 2017 5:51 PM

Nov 2013
oh look, the death from going back to the road, after dropping/forgetting something... at least it wasn't as stupid as the one from fuu**, where she would NEVER notice the thing dropping...and yes i'm freaking salty about that episode...

anyway, that part at the end, father is now the youngest =O interesting i guess lol let's see how this goes
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jul 11, 2017 10:38 PM

Jun 2012
Nice visuals, I have no idea what these guys are saying but no static fighting scenes and the dark thematic scenery is good to me.

As for the story, it's average if not generic shonen. I'll stay for more action.

Jul 12, 2017 12:14 AM

May 2017
Shirasho said:
psicosisbk said:

What season are you even referring to rn? Are you even watching 2017 summer anime rn?
Lol what do you mean by saying "The episode wasn't really that bad compared to everything else airing this season." Have you seen Made In Abyss, Kakegurui,
princess principal etc...

I agree completely with @psicosisbk, this compared to the anime airing this season is pretty bad.
- Forced humor
- Forced plot
- Rushing of said plot
- so-so action scenes
- Introducing shit out of thin air which don't make no sense

Overall episode was a 6/10 not gonna drop but will put on hold 'till later episodes come out
Jul 12, 2017 2:24 AM

Dec 2015
Dropped at 6/10.

I really liked the backgrounds (buildings and scenery) - especially at the beginning. Music also was good.

But: The setting/plot seems to be your average generic stuff. And that time-eating monsters only seem cool at 1st sight ... probably getting boring (or not too interesting) later.

Worst was the chars. Char design ... boring. Personality (and humour based on it) was tooo extremely targeted at younger people. I know it is shounen but other shounen are alsoe enjoyable by older people. This stuff is only annoying. (Too much funny scenes that did not fit.)

Without the forced funny stuff and some more "cool" main chars I might have watched it. But this way there are just too much other things to watch this season which are - at least a bit - better.

I lol'd at the last scene when he said the other guy was his father. Should probably be shocking reveal to the viewer. (Well it was a bit ... but I guess they didn't intend to make me laugh that much. :D )

Too bad the only interesting char (the girl) is not listed as main. (I guess she won't appear again.) Nice voice actress btw. Need to check which one (name) later.
Jul 12, 2017 1:52 PM
Mar 2016
Whoa, Victor is actually Wu's dad?

Too bad for the teacher,
Jul 12, 2017 2:55 PM

Sep 2011
FukGoBack said:
Shirasho said:

What season are you even referring to rn? Are you even watching 2017 summer anime rn?
Lol what do you mean by saying "The episode wasn't really that bad compared to everything else airing this season." Have you seen Made In Abyss, Kakegurui,
princess principal etc...

I agree completely with @psicosisbk, this compared to the anime airing this season is pretty bad.
- Forced humor
- Forced plot
- Rushing of said plot
- so-so action scenes
- Introducing shit out of thin air which don't make no sense

Overall episode was a 6/10 not gonna drop but will put on hold 'till later episodes come out

You listed 3 anime. There are 35? 40? airing this season. "This thing is relatively good." "HERP DERP YEAH BUTS ITS NOT FIRST!" Relativity my friend. It may be the worst offering that you are watching, but for the few of us that are watching more than 5 shows this season it is definitely one of the top 10 offerings.
Jul 12, 2017 7:29 PM
Apr 2017
Despite all the bad reviews, I personally think that this anime is nice...

The plot is decent and I didn't get bored while watching...

I also think that this anime appears beautiful...

Honestly, it is not bad for a pilot episode...

Overall, I like it and will wait for the next episode...šŸ˜Š
Jul 12, 2017 11:55 PM

Jul 2010
Much like most other series this season, this was bad. Dropped.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jikan no Shihaisha Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2017

14 by Bartfort360 »»
Mar 6, 2023 8:34 AM

Poll: » Jikan no Shihaisha Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

28 by Dawizz »»
Feb 17, 2023 2:08 AM

» Why is this rated so low?

zurgboy00 - Jul 29, 2017

43 by DesolatePsyche »»
Sep 7, 2021 3:16 AM

Poll: » Jikan no Shihaisha Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2017

11 by ashlei191 »»
Sep 28, 2020 11:25 PM

» Can We Discuss About Kiri's Parents?

__Akashi__ - Jul 9, 2020

0 by __Akashi__ »»
Jul 9, 2020 1:23 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.