Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 7, 2017 6:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, the OP song is somewhat stylistic I guess? It has this eerie/mystery vibe to it.

Animation quality doesn't impress me yet though. Oh well.
They introduced some strange characters with magic-like abilities. The dream world is really strange...

Honestly, idk if this has potential or not. Story just felt like it's all over the place so far. Haruto seems like a blend male protagonist imo.
Jul 7, 2017 6:54 AM

Nov 2015
The OP gave me Kakegurui vibes. And the characters seemed really meh. I didn't get impressed by the episode. Hopefully this doesn't turn to be terrible.

Jul 7, 2017 7:31 AM

Dec 2016
That was an interesting first episode.

Quite a weird show up to now and this dream world is even weirder. The main protagonist is quite a cool guy and I can relate with him quite a lot but I felt he was quite inconsistent in some parts and it was kinda annoying.

Might hive this a few more episodes to see where it goes and depending on that I will see if i'm going to watch it after that.

Jul 7, 2017 8:03 AM
Apr 2017
So many ppl working on this and then the Quality turns out to be this bad ..

Also "if you die in the dream world, you die in reality aswell" MC steps through the first Door, dies and gets reborn.
Jul 7, 2017 8:12 AM
Jun 2016
WarriorOfTimes said:
So many ppl working on this and then the Quality turns out to be this bad ..

Also "if you die in the dream world, you die in reality aswell" MC steps through the first Door, dies and gets reborn.

Right. like right after he said that they both end up dying and then act like nothing happend.
Jul 7, 2017 9:19 AM

Jul 2015
This one is quite weird. The art is not impressive, but i think it fits well in the universe.

The unique (weird) features caught my attention, but everything seemed like LSD experience (not that i had one), but... Might have some potential hidden, but i'm not expecting much, will give a few more episodes, then decide if will go for it or drop.
Jul 7, 2017 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
it was basically just meh. Not good, but not bad either.
Jul 7, 2017 9:31 AM
Jun 2016
its kinda meh! story dont got me hype... animation is meh... witch of thunder reminds me of alice in wonderland so meh...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2017 9:46 AM

May 2010
i had enough after a few minutes.pass
Jul 7, 2017 9:54 AM

Apr 2017
Disliked the first episode... I'm going to drop it for now. If people say it gets better as the episodes go on, maybe I'll watch it again.
Jul 7, 2017 10:30 AM
Jan 2017
This proved to be a pleasant experience. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this show but I'm glad I watched it. The premise looks interesting, the backgrounds are very well-drawn and the characters are very sympathetic. As a first episode, it didn't impress me, but it still was satisfying and leaves room for improvement. Hopefully, things will pick up next week.

Fun fact: Haruto, Kanzaki and Yuko all have Date A Live voice actors. Date A Live deserves a third season.
Jul 7, 2017 11:26 AM
Mar 2017
Well, that was... weird? I feel like the beginning of the ep was interesting but then it just got meh... 6/10 for now on, but I hope it will develop into an interesting story. The animation is nothing special, however it fits great with all that dreamy stuff.
Jul 7, 2017 11:26 AM

Sep 2013
The dream part is cool, but the mc is garbage, muh I don't care aloof attitude.
The witch would have been a better mc.
Jul 7, 2017 11:42 AM
Jun 2016
I liked it, got a strange bizzare vibe to it that I like, I will continue to check this one out. The world is definetly strange.

Anyone else wonder if the boy is maybe dead, and there is nothing to return to? Or he some how lives in the dream world?
Jul 7, 2017 11:44 AM

Mar 2013
The Opening is pretty Good and the Ost too but...

I don't know,
The show is poorly paced and executed,
no sense of characterisation (except for the Witch I guess),
The proportion and space are regularly ignored (on purpose i think),
There are some really unnecessary "stylistic" shot and scenes,
the "camera" moves in a very weird way with rapid pan and zoom and other stuff,
the split screens are laughable,
the story is pretty much nonexistant....

Yet I didn't think it was that bad somehow ?

It is really odd, I should hate this show but i'm intrigued ?

How far will it go to show stylised dumb stuff ?
Will it get deep and redeem itself in any way even minor ?
That's the questions that are pushing me to watch more,
i'm intrigued and want to see more, even if it is to see how bad it could get

Jul 7, 2017 12:38 PM

Aug 2014
That opening was definitely very beautiful and unique, the anime itself not so much
Jul 7, 2017 12:46 PM

Aug 2016
I kinda liked the OP but I found it to be kind of boring so far and everything is very confusing. But maybe it'll clear up later...

Jul 7, 2017 12:48 PM

Jan 2010
Is there a reason they chose Lily to be the name of that girl? It might be just a coincidence, but in my dreams just the flower Lily or a little girl carrying the flower or something related (like a ring with a lily on it) has been a recurring theme. There was even one time the girl was named Lily (I don't know how I got that since my dreams are usually silent, it's just that I got the information somehow). Are lilies something usually common to people's dreams, you know like the falling teeth dream for example, or is it just me? Either way I was shocked by this coincidence, not that Lily is an uncommon name, but still I related too much to this episode as it was something that I would normally see in a dream of mine.
Jul 7, 2017 1:09 PM

May 2017
I mostly enjoyed it but I agree with @lusyo totally, I think they were trying to get overly artsy with the weird camera angles. Points for effort?

Lots of weird/dreamland anime already out there a la Flip Flappers, Alice & Zouroku etc etc etc, hoping this one differentiates itself in some way. Can't tell if the MC will be saving Sleeping Beauties turned witches every week?

Well, it held my interest and I think early scores have it a teensy bit underrated. I'll tune in next week.
Forum sniper of MAL. Accuracy, efficiency. Beware the catgun.
Jul 7, 2017 1:16 PM

Dec 2014
Ok that was confusing. Not sure I like this one, the animation was very weird in certain parts and the chill music when he was being torn apart wasn't very fitting. I liked the op though.
Jul 7, 2017 1:52 PM

Jul 2017
Honestly I find it visually displeasing, and the only remotely interesting character for now is the cat-hakase

BUT

how they will develop the concept of the dream world had caught my attention enough not to drop it for now
Jul 7, 2017 1:56 PM

Jun 2015
The only good thing about this show so far is the OP. Everything else is just meh. The animation is not that good and the characters are bland. The dream world is cool I guess.
Jul 7, 2017 2:13 PM

Jul 2016
That was an... interesting episode, I guess?

I probably will drop it, but I'll give it some more time. During the episode, I told myself "this is the delusion of a drugged kid!"

It has the potential of being a special show, so let's hope it turns out that way.

Jul 7, 2017 4:21 PM

May 2008
I'm not really sure what I just watched but...uh..maybe ep 2 will make more sense?? Might have enjoyed it more if I was high.

Jul 7, 2017 5:02 PM
Jul 2018

I did enjoy the last part though.
Jul 7, 2017 5:04 PM

Jun 2017
lol quality.
but i think it has some originality so i'll keep watching.
Jul 7, 2017 5:23 PM

Aug 2016
only reason i started watching this was because of Teddyloid.

opening is better by far than the rest of this first episode in visual and musical terms.
:v
Jul 7, 2017 5:24 PM
Mar 2015
What Da Fuck is this shit? Seriously, don't do drugs kids. Fucks your brain up!
Jul 7, 2017 5:24 PM

Mar 2016
The op song was different and had a fun electronica feeling to it... this witch of thunder or whatever feels recycled to me! I just feel like I've seen this characters in tons of other shows

Her friends were super cute tho! And the chicken was beautiful!
I'm not sure if I'll countine this one yet... I sorta added randomly and didn't know what it was about.
Anyways good luck to Haruto ... happy the witch was free from being a generic character

UrbanJahtsJul 7, 2017 5:44 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2017 6:52 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
That was really trippy. I thought the art style looks average.. :/ However, I think that kind of art style fits well with this trippy looking anime. Animation looks bad though.

Well, I'll keep watching this because I'm interested to see the character who will be voiced by my favorite seiyuu, Inori Minase. However, I doubt I could expect great things from the story.. At least that OP song was eerie and it delivered in being eerie.
Jul 7, 2017 7:12 PM
Jan 2016
I am having a HAND SHAKERS FLASHBACK...and it's scary
Jul 7, 2017 9:56 PM

Mar 2009
lolGonzo

Sad that this is the only show Crunchyroll got today, when Amazon got Abyss, Altair, and Ballroom.
Jul 7, 2017 9:59 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm the art and animation seems... somewhat alright? I mean, it's not really anything impressive, although... it's not that bad either...

As for the STORY... It's not really shit it's just weird, I think I'll put this on-hold for now. This just seems like another show that Idk in all honesty.
Jul 7, 2017 10:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
That was quite odd, as expected from the PV. The directing makes you dizzy, but that's probably how Haruto feels in the dream world, as he kept saying "I don't understand." Was kind of annoying how he kept saying it though... Also, the resolution of the episode was so much cringe. Maybe that also reflects how it's supposed to feel in the dream world? How nothing really makes sense? Or the dialogue really is bad.

Not sure what to think so far, I only picked it up because of the cool music in PV2 :P And I did get cool music in this episode.
Jul 7, 2017 10:24 PM
Feb 2012
this show is what non-anime fans think about when they are asked to describe anime
Jul 7, 2017 11:14 PM

May 2012
Interesting art direction, though the execution looks a bit cheap. Anyway, still interesting enough to keep me watching. Is not everyday I have an anime about dreams.

Also, I like the dialoges and MC's personality.

Men Are From Mars, 
Women Are From Venus 
and Gays Are From Uranus

Jul 8, 2017 12:58 AM
Nov 2016
This is basically Flip Flappers, only it has 10x better dialogue, characters, pacing, and actually makes sense
Jul 8, 2017 4:55 AM

Apr 2017
before everything, haruto bear form is so cute!

the animation is a bit meh for me but the story is just fine. i think haruto also have the syndrome but lily is using him as an instrument to wake others up first before he does. i hope he meet with yuuko after waking up. ending is a bit creepy it's like a never-ending dream. next ep preview is so cute!

and if i were to be honest this anime put me to sleep last night and it hasn't even been on the 8th minute (the second time since rewrite) but i just continued it today and i ain't even disappointed!

lily is the imouto of the season

still life: pink roses
Jul 8, 2017 6:14 AM

Nov 2013
wtf is this...dropped lmao
1st time i drop an anime before half of the 1st episode
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jul 8, 2017 7:56 AM

Aug 2015
I enjoyed the "weirdness" but the rest is pretty meh I guess. Let's wait and see but I don't expect anything really awesome.
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

Jul 8, 2017 10:19 AM

Aug 2014
reminds me of monogatari , looks very good
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jul 8, 2017 1:40 PM

Aug 2013
Hahahaha, rating 5? I have a feeling that users here are getting more and more dumb.

It was good. I can't wait for next episode, because it actually has a lot of potential.
That's my old good Gonzo.
Visuals aren't that bad too. Character design is maybe a little too simplified, but even most of 3D objects isn't look that bad. I didn't cringe about visuals in any scene and I'm hyper allergic to crappy visible 3DCG.

MyNameIsFER said:

What are you talking about? How? How can you even think about comparing utter crap likr HS to this.
rsc-plJul 8, 2017 1:43 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 8, 2017 2:24 PM
Jan 2016
rsc-pl said:
Hahahaha, rating 5? I have a feeling that users here are getting more and more dumb.

It was good. I can't wait for next episode, because it actually has a lot of potential.
That's my old good Gonzo.
Visuals aren't that bad too. Character design is maybe a little too simplified, but even most of 3D objects isn't look that bad. I didn't cringe about visuals in any scene and I'm hyper allergic to crappy visible 3DCG.

MyNameIsFER said:

What are you talking about? How? How can you even think about comparing utter crap likr HS to this.

I have that flashback because of the "jazz" music in the battle scenes, the dream fantasy seting and the spinning camara in some moments, this first episode isn,t as bad as Hand Shakers but it was not good in any sence, however, i think that a 5 for the first episode is too fast for fair note.
Jul 8, 2017 7:35 PM

Nov 2014
I'm not really sure what to make of this episode, it really seems like it focused on the wrong part of whatever this story is supposed to be about, I don't even understand the internal logic of this anime as it seems to get contradicted. I will give it another episode to explain itself.
Forum Signature
Jul 8, 2017 7:41 PM
May 2008
It frustrates me that shit like Vatican gets praises and this gets scorned. This is a fantastic "average" anime. It's not great but it's not horrible. The introduction is pretty solid even though it doesn't explain the purpose but it introduces the setting and the characters very well.
Jul 8, 2017 9:56 PM
Jul 2016
I personally really liked this first episode. And i guess I'm in the minority with that opinion. I personally really like the art direction, it's kinda unique yet very simplistic which fits the whole idea. I think this has a lot of potential and I hope it turns out to be something of a nice experience in the end. People say it's'weird' but honestly,It takes place in a dream world sooooo....yeah. But anyway, I'll definitely check out the rest of the show as it airs
Jul 8, 2017 11:30 PM

Nov 2012
i can see what they were trying to do with the directing, but it just comes off as silly instead of artsy. and story-wise this doesn't look that great either imo.
Jul 9, 2017 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
Only the OP and art are great, everything else is really bad. Shouldn't have expect much from game adaption.
But, maybe i'll watch it again if many people says next episodes are better.
Jul 9, 2017 3:45 AM

May 2017
Flip flappers but not gay + edgy Alice to Zoruko
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 18if Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2017

45 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 26, 12:48 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2017

28 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 26, 12:34 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2017

90 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 3:43 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2017

39 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 3:27 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2017

48 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 2:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.