Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 1, 2010 5:40 PM

May 2008
This series takes my favorite character from Index, who happened to be one of my top favorite anime characters of all time.. and makes her the main character of her own story. Except they ruin everything about her in the process, tarnishing her name, changing her personality, everything. Misaka was so much cooler and everything in Index.

Railgun should never have been made, not to mention the majority of the episodes have been nonsense 1 episode filler stories. :/

But I can't bring myself to drop it regardless.. but I do continue to drop my rating for this as it continues to get worse.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 1, 2010 6:10 PM

Dec 2009
And you created a thread just for that?
Mar 1, 2010 6:12 PM

May 2008
No, I created the thread to discuss people feelings on the series as well.
Do you think it tramples on Misaka's image as well?
Mar 1, 2010 6:53 PM

Dec 2009
No, not really. Why? The environment/situations she is usually shown in in this series are different, but how did you expect her to be?
Mar 1, 2010 11:15 PM
Jan 2010
@ChaoXide's second post

Do you think fleshing out Misaka's character is garbage?
Index merely showed one aspect of her: a girl who knows how to control electricity and has a few tsundere reactions to Touma.

Railgun changed all of that.
Mar 2, 2010 8:08 AM

Oct 2007
Orix said:

No, Railgun didn't change anything, it merely showed more.

I on the other hand, am really annoyed at Kuroko. Jesus that kid needs to... get laid or something.
And I find myself constantly hoping Touma to pop in and save Misaka randomly more... but that probably won't happen (I'm only on episode 11 as of now)...
At least I know what genre of anime I'll be watching next after this...
Mar 2, 2010 8:14 AM

Feb 2008
xMafiax said:
Orix said:

No, Railgun didn't change anything, it merely showed more.

I on the other hand, am really annoyed at Kuroko. Jesus that kid needs to... get laid or something.
And I find myself constantly hoping Touma to pop in and save Misaka randomly more... but that probably won't happen (I'm only on episode 11 as of now)...

Kuroko could use getting some action, might unwind her coil a little bit.

But, yes, what other people said, Index showed about the smallest snippet of her character. I don't understand how you didn't expect her character to get flushed out more, and for your understanding of her personality to grow more. 24 episodes of her trying to shock Touma and run around and do nothing about her clones would have been annoying as hell. She's more then just a one faceted character, but from the way you're whining it seems that's all you wanted her to be. I might be wrong, but then hey, it's the internet, you have all the time you need, use your language to explain it better.
Mar 2, 2010 1:50 PM

Dec 2009
xMafiax said:
I doubt that'll happen ;)

I don't dislike Kuroko though; she is cool in combat situations and and fairly smart ... but yeah, otherwise she can be annoying.
Mar 2, 2010 2:01 PM

Sep 2007
Biribiri in Index for me: A girl, who is tsundere for Touma, and the main reason for that is the fact that she can't kill him with her ability. She is the martyr type, who would easily die for the sake of other people. Not that there's anything wrong with it (though I think it's one of the most egoistic personality trait ever).

Biribiri in Railgun: We find out that she is actually like every other girl most of the time. She has a handful of friends, who she cares for, and saves when necessary. She likes Gekota more than anything, which makes her childish and cute. She is still the martyr type, though not that much, cos she rarely gets to worry on her own, since she got her friends to support her.

Don't really see how one is ruining the other...
Mar 2, 2010 6:22 PM

May 2008
fail fanboy TS
Mar 2, 2010 6:33 PM
Mar 2009
I'd just like to express my disappointment that they didn't do the clones in this series, despite having plenty of time to if they hadn't done all those bullshit fanservice 1 episode 1 story fillers.

And that the OP is wrong.

Mar 3, 2010 1:47 AM

Dec 2009
chinlamp said:
I'd just like to express my disappointment that they didn't do the clones in this series, despite having plenty of time to if they hadn't done all those bullshit fanservice 1 episode 1 story fillers.
I can't quite agree with that ... episodes like #3 or #14 were probably the ones I enjoyed the most.
They rather should've left out the "1 episode 0 story" fillers, such as #13, #17 or #18, that focused on completely irrelevant characters or did nothing at all. Those bored me to death.

Whatever.
I think the character of Mikoto is pretty consistent with the Index series, and so is Kuroko. The thread starter thinks otherwise, but didn't say why. Maybe he'll come back and explain.
Ruiko and Kazari are new anyway, but I also (or especially) like those.
Even though the latter disappointed me in episode 21 :/
Mar 3, 2010 3:49 AM

Sep 2007
chinlamp said:

I never really thought that the Misaka Sisters arc will be included, mostly cos it was heavily covered in Index already, so I was sure the series would end before that. Besides I think the Misaka Sisters arc doesn't fit with Railgun series, cos it's all about friends and rely on each other. So it would be bit stupid to show Mikoto worrying all alone and her friends not giving a damn about it, so that only Touma could save her.
Mar 3, 2010 6:04 AM

Nov 2009
SunyiNyufi said:
chinlamp said:

I never really thought that the Misaka Sisters arc will be included, mostly cos it was heavily covered in Index already, so I was sure the series would end before that. Besides I think the Misaka Sisters arc doesn't fit with Railgun series, cos it's all about friends and rely on each other. So it would be bit stupid to show Mikoto worrying all alone and her friends not giving a damn about it, so that only Touma could save her.

I think the true reason is the Sister arc in Railgun doesn't finish yet and they can't make the original ending out of it ,so they have to wait.

The Sister arc shown in railgun is better than in Index ,and it doens't feel like you are watching the same thing at all ,so I hope they will air it.

By the way,Railgun anime being a story about friendship is true. Saten and Uiharu are the selling point of this series. If they disapear from the scene for a long time. the rating may fall down.

Marina2Mar 3, 2010 6:09 AM
Mar 3, 2010 9:09 AM

Sep 2007
Marina2 said:
The Sister arc shown in railgun is better than in Index ,and it doens't feel like you are watching the same thing at all ,so I hope they will air it.
Dunno about that I still have to read the manga :) But I sure hope for a second season.
Mar 3, 2010 4:02 PM

Jun 2007
xMafiax said:

^ this. Every time there's a major event involving Misaka I'm expecting Touma to randomly show up....but he doesn't and I'm left dissatisfied.

This series as a whole is over hyped but still somewhat entertaining. Misaka's personality is the same as in the first season. The difference is in the first season she was more extrovert becuse Touma caused her to get all hot and bothered. In this season shes more introvert becuse Kuroko is constantly trying to rape her. Tthe only problem I actually have with this series is that there's very little action. With her personality and her power I was expecting way more action than the first season but in staid they toss a shojo/slice of life show at us with mild to no action at all.

I think in staid of trying to make a full blown show they probably should have made an OVA or a shorter series.
Mar 3, 2010 4:12 PM

Nov 2007
I completely disagree with most everything people are saying. I'm enjoying Railgun a great deal; a lot more than Index. It's difficult to quantify exactly why, but I think a lot of it has to do with the very poor story structure Index had, jumping from arc to arc with no natural leadin, and leaving most of them with very poor resolutions.

Railgun, however, is just... fun. It's not taking itself too seriously and is a great success as an episodic series. Even the handful of mini arcs so far have been thoroughly entertaining, well paced and concluded.

It's a great deal more enjoyable than Index was. Index flopped in my views. Tried to overreach and fell short, or something. Railgun isn't trying that hard, so isn't going to disappoint in the same manner.
Mar 3, 2010 4:26 PM

Sep 2007
Asako said:
Index flopped in my views. Tried to overreach and fell short, or something. Railgun isn't trying that hard, so isn't going to disappoint in the same manner.
Kinda felt the same while watching Index. It was like the show wanted to be epic (at least the bgm implied that several scenes should be epic), yet it was just main guy saving current damsel in distress most of the time.
Mar 3, 2010 4:30 PM

Aug 2008
I agree with you, but all I wanted was an epilogue, after the events of Index. I wanted some kind of relationship, some well done fight scenes, and possibly flashbacks and the story of her past.

Mabye I was asking for too much. Now I'm stuck with a mostly-episodic 26 ep. series and I won't drop it because of Misaka.

xMafiax said:

My thoughts exactly.
DeseradaMar 3, 2010 4:35 PM
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Mar 3, 2010 4:48 PM

Aug 2008
I do see it to be overly hyped, probably because of Misaka while I on the other hand am watching it mostly for Touma to appear. There are a crap load of parts where I just want Touma to come in. I'm really hoping they get straight onto Index after this since I enjoy it more.

Mar 3, 2010 5:05 PM

Apr 2008
chinlamp said:

Well, I wouldn't call it "bullshit fanservice" but yeah, im kinda getting annoyed with those fillers, and yes. I'm disappointed that they didn't do the sisters arc.

But as SunyiNyufi, the sisters arc was already covered in Index. I was half-expecting them to do the sisters arc then overlap it with the story in Index (like showing how Misaka destroyed those facilities, etc. etc. ) but then again, that wouldn't make sense since the story was already done in index.

Asako said:
Index flopped in my views. Tried to overreach and fell short, or something. Railgun isn't trying that hard, so isn't going to disappoint in the same manner.

Agreed. First impression was "damn this is going to be an epic anime" but then, as the story progressed, it's just as SunyiNyufi said.
SunyiNyufi said:
main guy saving current damsel in distress most of the time.

Overall, I'm not really disappointed with Railgun, but I'm not satisfied with it either. Let's see how it ends.

*Hoping for an index season 2*
Mar 3, 2010 7:40 PM

May 2008
Maybe my problems is that Misaka wasn't properly shown in Index, which actually better that way. I mean in Index, Misaka seemed like a hard-headed do it herself, bad ass who thought she could take on anyone and when someone came along she couldn't beat (Touma) it really pissed her off.

Then in Railgun we get this every day Misaka that's just lame, and doesn't seem anything like she was made out to be in Index. She has friends, she isn't as cold to people, and she seems to be like any other girl her age, besides the part about liking everything only someone 5 years old would, and acting even more childish.

I think we should have had an Index 2, rather than having this spin-off Railgun. Misaka wasn't meant to be given this much spot light, and it's ruining her image.

Railgun has been pretty fail, and as of now... I'd barely give it a 6/10... which is sad because I really liked Index, although even Index started slipping later into the series.

Railgun might have had a better chance, had it actually had a story, been only 12 episodes, no filler crap, and minus Kuroko and the other two girls. I'd have liked to seen some more into Accelerator's (I think that's his name) and the clone Misaka's past.
KobyMar 3, 2010 8:39 PM
Mar 4, 2010 6:06 AM

Nov 2007
The fact that you were all having too much disappointment in a series that is "not" suppose to have Touma around in the first place is what makes it disappointing for you lot. Sorry, but I actually prefer him not to be there most of the time, and I was able to enjoy this series better than Index.

Now if you all decided to look at Railgun as if it's something new (and not trying to put what's not suppose to be there or put so much expectations on "this character" to be in a series that's not suppose to have him around all the time to make Mikoto all tsun-tsun) maybe you might have liked it a little better.

As for the Imoutos, since the manga is still on-going with that said story, it's expected that we won't have it in the first place, and those "filler" episodes that you all keep complaining about, it's considered as "canon" now since the author of the light novels for Index is involved in writing said episodes. I think you should read those extra parts from the manga to know what I'm talking about.

The Mikoto you all saw in Index (especially in the Sisters arc) is the effect of what happened to her in the latest chapters in the manga... so Railgun basically shows us a side of Mikoto before she found out about that horrible experiment.

In conclusion though, there's bound to be either a season 2 of Railgun to satisfy your needs for the pre-Sisters arc, or some OVA. They can't leave us hanging, that's for sure.
Mar 4, 2010 6:56 AM

Sep 2007
ChaoXide said:
I mean in Index, Misaka seemed like a hard-headed do it herself, bad ass who thought she could take on anyone and when someone came along she couldn't beat (Touma) it really pissed her off.

Let's see what happened in Railgun so far: Mikoto hitting Kuroko all the time; almost killing people with electroshock who pissed her off; fighting with a multi-ability wielder (aka Kiyama); destroying a bigass foetus-monster-thingy; getting teary eyed cos she couldn't defeat Touma. I guess that counts as hard headed, doesn't it?

ChaoXide said:
She has friends, she isn't as cold to people, and she seems to be like any other girl her age, besides the part about liking everything only someone 5 years old would, and acting even more childish.

When was she ever shown to be cold to people in Index? I mean, sure she is cold to Touma cos she is the tsundere, and cold to Index cos she is jealous, and of course she is cold to the giys who try to pick her up constantly. But other then that if she was really cold to people, she would never agree to giving her DNA to the researchers so they could cure people, and would never want to save the Sisters.
But I agree on showing her being childish, but I think that's mostly due to the fact that Touma is not always present in Railgun, so we can't have him saying how childish Mikoto is, therefore they tried an other method to show that side of her.
Mar 4, 2010 9:49 PM

Dec 2009
I agree. How could you call Mikoto "cold" after watching the Sisters arc? o_O
Mar 4, 2010 11:44 PM
Jun 2008
Battlesheep said:
I agree. How could you call Mikoto "cold" after watching the Sisters arc? o_O

I agree with you
Mar 7, 2010 2:39 AM

Aug 2009
Railgun didn't destroy Mikoto's character, it expanded her character. You just want to see the flat one, with almost no character development.

And I'm getting sick of people screaming for Touma all the time. He isn't the freaking main character. This anime is about Mikoto, Kuroko and their friends, not that hobo.
Mar 7, 2010 3:08 PM

Jul 2008
railgun sucks. seriously? dude obviously u have no taste in anime... railgun not only does not kill bribri's character but expands it showing her other more gentle side which is by definition part of tsundere and also how can an anime suck just because it shift the focus of characters from the main story. think of railgun this way its like fumofu for fmp.. railgun doesnt suck and it will make more ppl interested in the main story. seriously if u hate railgun then u should hate tmni as well
Mar 7, 2010 3:08 PM

Jul 2008
railgun sucks. seriously? dude obviously u have no taste in anime... railgun not only does not kill bribri's character but expands it showing her other more gentle side which is by definition part of tsundere and also how can an anime suck just because it shift the focus of characters from the main story. think of railgun this way its like fumofu for fmp.. railgun doesnt suck and it will make more ppl interested in the main story. seriously if u hate railgun then u should hate tmni as well
Mar 7, 2010 5:37 PM

Aug 2008
I'm going to have to say I love Biribiri and Kuroko. I'm also glad they aren't doing the clone arc, as I've already seen that played out in great detail in Index.

I'll have to reiterate what someone else has said in that my only problem with this series is the lack of action. I too was expecting a bit more fight scenes etc. Instead the vast majority of this anime plays out as a Slice of Life series.

That doesn't make me care any less for the series as I quite enjoy it, but it would have improved it a great deal for me.

Mar 7, 2010 7:35 PM

May 2008
edwardyyu9f said:

Don't be belittling my taste in anime just cause you don't agree. That's just immature and rude. I haven't wathed fumofu of fmp.. although I saw everything else of fmp, simply because I haven't gotten around to it yet, and its been low priority as I've heard it screws everything about FMP over.. and makes a mockery of it. Kind of like railgun has been doing. Railgun has just been a bunch of random slice of life episodes with filler like quality plot. Then a couple decent episodes here and there.
Mar 8, 2010 1:59 AM

Sep 2007
It's so nice to see that you don't answer to serious questions (like why the hell do you think Biribiri is cold to people), but react to insults...

As for Railgun being random... it sure has some filler eps, though if you take a look at it, they have sometimes important story elements in it. (Like that Antiskill girls story, where she met Haruue, and we saw the pic in the locket for the first time)
Mar 8, 2010 11:05 PM

May 2008
SunyiNyufi said:
It's so nice to see that you don't answer to serious questions (like why the hell do you think Biribiri is cold to people), but react to insults...

As for Railgun being random... it sure has some filler eps, though if you take a look at it, they have sometimes important story elements in it. (Like that Antiskill girls story, where she met Haruue, and we saw the pic in the locket for the first time)

She isn't cold to people anymore IMO, it's the growth of her character. O.o
I said, she started out that way, I never said I still thought her to be as such. As with any character over time they are expected to grow and change. I made this topic only to discuss the opinion of the series and to ask what others thought, and that my opinion was that I don't like how they have fleshed out BiriBiri's character. It just isn't how I expected her to be after seeing her on Index that's all.. and it ruined the opinions I had of her. That and I'm just not fond of how Railgun has played out thus far.

Sorry, if I'm not that great at explaining what I'm trying to get through here. I've never been that great with explanations of stuff, which is why I don't ever write many reviews and recommendations.
Mar 8, 2010 11:49 PM

Nov 2007
Jumperboy333 said:
And I'm getting sick of people screaming for Touma all the time. He isn't the freaking main character. This anime is about Mikoto, Kuroko and their friends, not that hobo.

Personally, screaming for Touma because he showed up in random scenes here and there, and Touma is a familiar character from Index. The familiarity makes people scream? That's just my opinion and others might not think that way.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 12, 2010 6:45 PM

Nov 2008
A railgun has the ability to hit with the force of a small nuke and what the fuck is this shit? This show sucks.
Mar 15, 2010 1:48 PM

Dec 2008
The manga is completely RAILGUN, only Misaka´s story, Uiharu, Saten, Kuroko they are supporting characters all the time, they don´t do so much things like anime adaptation, the Manga is completely Misaka view you should read it, It´s better than all that "friendship"

Also Accelerator and MISAKA appears, and there´s a lot of action, the anime is more a slice of life dedicated to the four girls with random action

What a shame because of the manga but well, Isn´t a bad anime after all
wabowserMar 15, 2010 1:52 PM
Mar 20, 2010 6:32 PM

Jul 2008
wasn't the main character in touma's harem index? then y does everyone expect him to show up hanging around with or popping in to save misaka?

Mar 20, 2010 9:26 PM

Jul 2008
ChaoXide said:
edwardyyu9f said:

Don't be belittling my taste in anime just cause you don't agree. That's just immature and rude. I haven't wathed fumofu of fmp.. although I saw everything else of fmp, simply because I haven't gotten around to it yet, and its been low priority as I've heard it screws everything about FMP over.. and makes a mockery of it. Kind of like railgun has been doing. Railgun has just been a bunch of random slice of life episodes with filler like quality plot. Then a couple decent episodes here and there.

mockery???.... what?????? its called a side story buddy please understand something before u say it. and whats wrong with slice of life?... it get more viewers because it attracts both male and female. and the side stories always have a higher rating than the original because it make the tense and sci-fi original series into something normal and fun...
Mar 20, 2010 9:26 PM

Dec 2008
dxthegreat said:
wasn't the main character in touma's harem index? then y does everyone expect him to show up hanging around with or popping in to save misaka?

No, they were expecting to show Misaka´s vision for everything or that´s what I was xpecting

Imouto arc has completely different scenarios also appear interesting characters another level 5 sper and there isn´t bored chapters like helping the kindergarten
Mar 20, 2010 10:28 PM

Jul 2008
I still think it is better than Index.
Mar 21, 2010 8:45 PM

Mar 2009
talk about dogshit...
Mar 22, 2010 4:44 AM

Nov 2008
I was expecting Railgun to be much better,but end up another overused anime plot.Misaka should never become the main character because isnt suit to be one.
Mar 22, 2010 4:52 AM
Jun 2009
i think railgun is a pretty cool guy, eh fires a railgun with power level over 9000 and doesnt afraid of anything.
Mar 22, 2010 5:14 AM

Nov 2008
If this anime wasn't a spin off of to aru majutsu no index it would't be that sucessful.
Apr 10, 2010 6:17 PM

Jan 2010
Railgun is a much more rounded up show than Index was, the storytelling is far superior, and we're spared of Touma's endless and cheesy soliloquies, which annoyed the hell out of me in Index.
Apr 10, 2010 7:25 PM

May 2008
YagokoroEirin said:
If this anime wasn't a spin off of to aru majutsu no index it would't be that sucessful.

I fully agree..

Railgun was just a shitty mostly filler slice of life shit.
I ended up rating it a barely 6/10.

Index was so much more rounded and the storytelling was far superior.
Though Index was only an 8/10 in my book. =P
Apr 10, 2010 9:41 PM

Sep 2007
I liked it better than Index. Generally I like science fiction over fantasy, so if the story is from the same source, well, yea... Now waiting for Index s2, which I hope beats both series.
May 8, 2010 6:17 AM

Jan 2009
complete train-wreck if you ask me
fillers, completely predictable plot and forced fan service at the most unnecessary times? i mean cmon.

the only thing i got out of railgun which i loved was:
-himegami's appearance
-index's appearance
-touma was the highlight if you ask me needs more touma
-kuroko's voice is winnnnnn~
-evil bitches troll face was lololololololol higurashi much?
-and lets not forget misaka though shes always a win.
Needs more Drill Hair.
May 9, 2010 10:18 PM
Jul 2008
Can't help but agree. The first few episodes, as well as the finale, showed just how much wasted potential this show had. They should've condensed it into a 12 episode anime, cut out all the nonsensical moe and fan service crap, and focused on the main storyline. The story really wasn't that bad imo, it just lacked focus.

Started out as a 9, ended at a 5. Very disapointing.
May 15, 2010 9:10 PM

May 2010
I sense a troll
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you like Kuroko’s horniness, or do you think it’s annoying?

SwagsOnB - Oct 2, 2023

31 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Do you like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun?

SpinStudios - Oct 25, 2021

18 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Proselyt - Jan 29, 2010

164 by TheAncientOne »»
Feb 25, 9:40 AM

» Why is there no CGDCT on this show?

Sagepool - Nov 30, 2023

14 by FZREMAKE »»
Dec 1, 2023 3:39 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Mar 19, 2010

372 by WELLERM »»
Nov 29, 2023 4:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.