Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Love and Lies
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2017 8:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Eh..I guess that wasn't bad. However, it felt pretty generic in terms of introducing the main characters into the show. OP song seems okay though, pretty much what I had expected.

I'm not too used to the character designs yet especially with the size of the eyes.
Misaki is still cute though. I just hope they develop her character better. Not really liking Yuusuke much. Some of his scenes with other characters feels awkward. One thing I did notice is the slow camera movements to capture the characters' emotions/expressions. Yuusuke and Misaki's relationship seems to be the main focus already in this episode. What an embrace~

Jul 3, 2017 8:29 AM

Sep 2011
I started watching after about 8 minutes the episode started so I didn't see the beginning part but it was pretty cool! Didn't expect to see such hot action in the first episode of an anime :P Even kissing with tongue! These kids are not holding back lol.
I'll be watching this :)
Jul 3, 2017 8:58 AM
Jul 2012
In a world were governments choose your partner and you cant marry anyone else.
What are the 2 lovers going to do?

I'm happy with this first episode cuz it didnt look like it was fast pace even with the kiss scene! Yes first ep FTW with the kiss scene and not just a Chu* but more ;)

Anyway I think I'll give it a try for the next ep (next week T^T) just to see where it goes~
Jul 3, 2017 9:00 AM
Jul 2012
Tommy0wn said:
I started watching after about 8 minutes the episode started so I didn't see the beginning part but it was pretty cool! Didn't expect to see such hot action in the first episode of an anime :P Even kissing with tongue! These kids are not holding back lol.
I'll be watching this :)

There we go~ Thank you for the detail kiss scene xD
And yes agreed~~~ no holding back since they confessed to each other last min x'D
Jul 3, 2017 9:28 AM

Apr 2010
Well it was expected that things would not go according to the mains will.
Seeing the type of anime this is.
Anyway the guy is so innocent that i am not sure wether to call it cute or simply naive, guess this could become a very interesting anime.
pokenoodle said:
In a world were governments choose your partner and you cant marry anyone else.
What are the 2 lovers going to do?
Guess cheating will be a common occurrence in their world.
2 lovers can always choose to elope the question however is where will they go seeing as they can't marry in the country.
Jul 3, 2017 9:54 AM

Sep 2015
aaaaaah I wasn't expecting frederic for the OP *-*
That was a good first episode, I'm expecting a lot from this show
(Nisaka looks younger than in the manga? :thinking:)
Jul 3, 2017 10:04 AM

Jun 2017
Yea the big eyes are not my taste yet I like the plot.
I'm gonna stick with this one :)
Jul 3, 2017 10:27 AM

Jul 2015
this is too predictable how it will end
just another Nisekoi with different excuse to make the trash blonde girl win

1/10 , dropped
Jul 3, 2017 11:32 AM
Jun 2015
LOL Agreed.

Ugh, goddamn it.
Jul 3, 2017 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished the episode, from my memory it adapted around 3-4 chapters of the manga (they're not exactly long, they're rather short at most 12-13 pages with the exception of maybe the first chapter being 20 or so). My memory might be wrong on this regard tbh.

As for how it went... Ehhh, it was actually better compared to what the manga did to be completely honest in terms of the execution. Since I felt like compared to this, the manga felt a bit more out of place to me, I don't really know. But seeing how the anime spoiled on some characters I'm going to ask to others Uh... when does the character with the white hair appear in the manga?

Other than that, decent start. Good art, nice directing, the music is pretty good and the execution was okay to decent. We'll see.
Jul 3, 2017 12:14 PM

Jul 2015
What an episode, we got a confession, kisses... and despair.

You can't do this to him after having the courage to confess his feelings, goddamnit government!
Jul 3, 2017 1:11 PM

Aug 2016
Symphyon said:
Just finished the episode, from my memory it adapted around 3-4 chapters of the manga (they're not exactly long, they're rather short at most 12-13 pages with the exception of maybe the first chapter being 20 or so). My memory might be wrong on this regard tbh.

As for how it went... Ehhh, it was actually better compared to what the manga did to be completely honest in terms of the execution. Since I felt like compared to this, the manga felt a bit more out of place to me, I don't really know. But seeing how the anime spoiled on some characters I'm going to ask to others Uh... when does the character with the white hair appear in the manga?

Other than that, decent start. Good art, nice directing, the music is pretty good and the execution was okay to decent. We'll see.

I think that white haired girl first appered in School Festival, which was around chapter 77.

“If you’re the king that rules the court, I’ll have to defeat you, and I’ll be the last one standing!”
Jul 3, 2017 1:14 PM
Jul 2018
gr8_nonsense said:
Symphyon said:

I think that white haired girl first appered in School Festival, which was around chapter 77.

Huh, I see then... so they might go and rush it a bit later on to get to that point, unless the manga chapters (pages) gets decreased by the time (I went to check a bit around here and there's also the case where the pages of the chapters gets decreased).

Might need to read more then.
Jul 3, 2017 1:16 PM

Sep 2015
MC kun was a maiden in love how girly but
Kay the plot was a supernarutal (?) weird screen mail

So did governments's choice only have 1 and can't be change? how about if partner dead?

I still can't get used to this

Another Qualidea Code level of low quality
Into the Internet!
Jul 3, 2017 1:34 PM
Apr 2012
tragedydesu said:

1/10 , dropped

Lol, Nisekoi? As a manga reader, I can't even laugh at how wrong your prediction is.

For one thing, this series has dark moments.
Jul 3, 2017 1:42 PM

Apr 2016
The male MC voice acting is awful to my ears. After half the episode I was already a hater. Poor me! I guess I'll have to read it instead of watching (hearing) it.

Music, narrative (inner thought) and of course character design remembers me a lot kuzu no honkai. That's more a positive than a negative thing.

I think I've read once another short manga with exactly the same premise.
Jul 3, 2017 2:07 PM
Apr 2016
In my opinion, the episode is certainly a bit predictable and not truly great, but even so it has a couple of original moments and pretty nice dialogues. I believe it can become a good romance anime if they do stuff right. But if it take a direction of another generic harem anime then I pass.
Jul 3, 2017 3:16 PM

Aug 2013
Having your future spouse being decided by the government at the age of 16. That's going a bit too far. Won't be surprised if there will be a lot of cheating.

I was happy when Yuusuke got that mail but happiness didn't even last a minute for him.

I'm curious to see how things will go.

Jul 3, 2017 3:19 PM

Mar 2016
Contrived and overly dramatic. The email thing doesn't make sense either, that isn't how phones work. Hopefully soon people will stop acting like first episode kisses actually make romance anime good.
Jul 3, 2017 3:26 PM

Jun 2015
As someone who doesn't want to be in a relationship, I would hate to live with a system like this. The character designs are a bit weird, especially the eyes. It's unfortunate Yuusuke didn't get the notice he wanted. His phone glitching was odd. Didn't think there was going to be a kiss in the first episode. Looking forward to see more.
Jul 3, 2017 3:32 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Leo_10 said:
Having your future spouse being decided by the government at the age of 16. That's going a bit too far. Won't be surprised if there will be a lot of cheating.

I was happy when Yuusuke got that mail but happiness didn't even last a minute for him.

I'm curious to see how things will go.
Yeah, that's going a bit too far, but at the same time, I feel like it's something that's possible for the Japanese government to try and pull off since this is just an extreme version of an arranged marriage

They're having this birth problem right now so I'm curious to see how the Japs will react to this show as well as where the show takes it for the reasons you mentioned like cheating etc

I liked this episode though, it wasn't amazing but it certainly isn't bad either (I can't even express how much I facepalm'd when I saw that one person compare this to Nisekoi)
TokoyaJul 3, 2017 3:36 PM
Jul 3, 2017 3:37 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The colors in the second half were amazing, just gonna get that out of the way first.

Also Masaru Yokoyama who did the Kuzu no Honkai OST is the composer for this one as well, you can hear it, too. Oh man, that's brilliant i'll have another great OST on my hands soon.

This was really good, i can see the despair coming already, i'm not ready for this.

Really odd how these people in black just come out of nowhere knowing exactly where the MC is though o_O
Jul 3, 2017 3:45 PM

Jun 2012
No one gonna question two government officials appearing and finding him in the park right as the clock struck 12 AM on his birthday? Like, were they stalking him all day just waiting for his birthday to drop the news on him? I feel like funds for their government would be better spent on something else, but that might be just me. Maybe the world revolves around MC, so he gets a special treatment.
Jul 3, 2017 3:58 PM

Oct 2015
Ok so a couple things first: if you want to rage at me, don't, because it's not like I hated this episode - there were very passionate and beautiful moments, and the OST definitely shone in bringing out the emotion of their kiss, him chasing after her, etc. The directing was actually pretty good imo as well.

Now, for the bad things:

>The premisse itself is nothing short of retarded: "to combat birth rates". If you want to combat birth rates then this would be a LOT more thrilling if the kids didn't get a notice at fucking 16 years old. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

>Maybe it's for them to get used to each other before being adults (20 in Japan)? Well, why not make them choose themselves a partner before, say, their mid 20s, or even 20 years old? It's not like they are not going to fuck and have kids if they aren't picked by the time they're 16. If the premisse were to choose your partner until you're 20 and if you didn't choose they'd assign you someone who hadn't chosen either, then that'd be a lot more interesting, considering we'd be dealing with grown-ups and not fucking high-schoolers once again for the sake of being relatable.

>Yes, there'd DEFINITELY be TWO people from the government to come and deliver you your letter IN PERSON, as the special snowflake you are. They'd just send it by mail and done, wtf.

>Of COOOOOURSE this is an effortless first-love: the LOSER, yes you, the viewer who is shy and never talked to a girl before, most definitely caught the heart of the hottest girl in class by giving them half rubber and talk passionately about freaking temples in class. WOWIE. OH! And SHE KEPT IT FOR 5 YEARS! Wowie wowie wowie, makes sense I guess.

>I'm honestly curious about that nonsensical screen-twitching when he got a phone message, but that's all I'm going to unveil. I can't get invested any deeper in such a nonsensical premisse.
Jul 3, 2017 4:00 PM

Mar 2016
so far the anime was going according the manga not actually bad and not good

i disappointed about the VA for the character Yajima,he look like he was sick ughh
Jul 3, 2017 4:03 PM

Oct 2015
Mladen said:
No one gonna question two government officials appearing and finding him in the park right as the clock struck 12 AM on his birthday? Like, were they stalking him all day just waiting for his birthday to drop the news on him? I feel like funds for their government would be better spent on something else, but that might be just me. Maybe the world revolves around MC, so he gets a special treatment.
Yes that was just the cherry on top of the cake. I actually laughed at that retarded scene.
Jul 3, 2017 4:04 PM

Jul 2015
tragedydesu said:

1/10 , dropped
lol at the Nisekoi comparison
Sup...
Jul 3, 2017 4:06 PM

Jul 2015
I like Romance anime, but I'm not sure about this one.

It seems cheating will be the main focus of this series. I will wait to see how the girl chosen by the goverment will react.

3 ep rule
Jul 3, 2017 4:09 PM
May 2017
This was a surprisingly pleasant show. However, I could tell this show would drag me through the feels train and I'm not sure watching this show is worth feeling those heavy emotions. I still would recommend it.
Jul 3, 2017 4:10 PM

Apr 2017
just what kind of government do they have lmao

kissing scene here we go before the half they'll show some sex lol

still life: pink roses
Jul 3, 2017 4:11 PM
Nov 2015
ugh this is why i hate lidenfilms. so far it's meh for me, hopefully this ends up being 2-cour and the art quality goes up. otherwise this is gonna be 4/10 for me, maybe even lower.
oh and they better adapt chapter 4.5 or i will rage oh my god
Jul 3, 2017 4:13 PM
Feb 2012
Characters look slightly less uglier than what the visuals suggested lol.
Jul 3, 2017 4:15 PM

Nov 2016
They didn't waste any time with this episode and dived right into the "action".
Poor Nejima, tho, he felt from heaven to hell within a few moments.

Good start, the concept is kinda weird, but interesting. I can already see this will get pretty dark.

As a sucker for rom/drama I think I'm gonna have fun with this show for sure.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 3, 2017 4:19 PM

Apr 2012
Im excited! I am usually a mess when it comes to romances, so despite some of the negative cliche type topics, I really think I will still enjoy this one! :)

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 3, 2017 4:19 PM

Sep 2015
Dam awesome to see this animated ;-;
Jul 3, 2017 4:21 PM

Nov 2014
I love this story.
The art is nice, but honestly those big eyes really a disturbance and annoyance
Jul 3, 2017 4:24 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
cwtgcheese said:
Contrived and overly dramatic. The email thing doesn't make sense either, that isn't how phones work. Hopefully soon people will stop acting like first episode kisses actually make romance anime good.
I see somebody's never gotten an automated SMS before
Jul 3, 2017 4:36 PM

Jul 2014
Everything became clear when she wore that tight shirt to the meeting in the park!

All the different sets of eyes must be a huge pain for the artists but it's sort of interesting.

Way too much breath/gasp "voice acting."

Looks sort of interesting.
Jul 3, 2017 4:39 PM

Sep 2011
The fact that the two people showed up in the park at midnight to deliver the paperwork despite the kid being yelled at 90 minutes earlier to return home and the fact that the girl came running to see him in the park so damn late completely shattered this for me. It was all so unnatural. The plot is relatively unused which is nice, but I simply can't get over the unnatural behavior in this episode. It's going to take a lot of excellent writing in episode 2 for me to remotely enjoy watching this. At least I get to hear more KanaHana.
Jul 3, 2017 4:45 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
oh great.. i can already see the salt in future comments

anyway, Misaki fine than a mf XD
Jul 3, 2017 4:45 PM

Mar 2016
Tokoya said:

Not sure what this means. It was most likely an email, and even so, the writing is making it seem like the broken phone is the reason why the names are different, which doesn't make any sense. In any case the message has to be recoverable somehow.
syncrogazerJul 3, 2017 4:52 PM
Jul 3, 2017 5:01 PM
Aug 2016
the art style didn't change, the voice is ok. but the most thing that made my ear---day is because i can hear kana hanazawa this whole season!

i love the manga, and so this first episode. though i kind of having this feeling that the end of this series will be the end of the manga too seeing how they'd (the studio) done to kuzu no honkai and how each of the manga's chapter is only had about 8-12 pages. they might caught up till the latest arc but... let's just see how it'll go.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2017 5:08 PM
Sep 2014
He's going to be a notorious terrorist and rebel against the government. Seriously tho this shit has too many plot holes.
Jul 3, 2017 5:13 PM

Jun 2015
A surprisingly contrived episode. They fall in love for half a rubber after 5 whole years of not talking to each other again. Seems like these overly idealized relationships are prevalent when it's a shounen romance, hm.

Then there's the premise of the show alone, that unexplainable SMS and those 2 officers coming out of nowhere at past midnight to personally deliver that envelope. Like, what?
And concludes the episode with a hint of a potential love triangle, "promising".

Nonetheless what is probably the most exasperating part of it all is that given the fact they already love each other (even if because of those laughable motives) show is now in the obligation to pull drama and misunderstandings between them to make it last.
Jul 3, 2017 5:23 PM

Jun 2017
This first episode definitely had it's fair share of flaws. Just to name a few:

For one, when the family was talking about his birthday was coming up in a few days, he really put on quite the face. Realistically, the parents would have noticed his distress. They really missed out on the opportunity to have the parents talk about his feelings toward the marriage system, and wedding a total stranger. Instead they cut to him being all melancholic in bed, and just used that situation just to tell the audience his birthday was soon.

Two, how did those government workers know he was in that park at midnight? No matter how you look at it, this is kinda stupid.

Lastly, I'm sure this kind of system would have some sort of way to choose who you wed. Perhaps an application you could fill out or something that would allow you to wed someone else as long as you turned it in before a deadline. Either there is and the main character brought this upon himself for being a coward for so long, or this story is unrealistic.

In any case, I'm a real fan of drama so I'll likely stick around until the end even with the flaws.
Jul 3, 2017 5:24 PM
Jun 2014
I will choose to have faith in this. It's the -First girl to appear always wins -cliche vs the- blonde tsundere always wins- cliche. Not as predictable as Nisekoi (I hope)
Jul 3, 2017 5:26 PM

Sep 2016
Wow, episode 1 really caught my attention. (Even though the whole government thing sounds weird but hey, you're watching anime so anything is possible)

Pretty sure this anime will get a lot of haters but I'm personally looking forward to watching more of this ^^
PS isn't that other girl a tsundere? ... ;(
SenpieXJul 3, 2017 5:30 PM
Jul 3, 2017 5:28 PM

Aug 2015
God fucking dammit. What did I see? I wasn't expecting something this good this early. I'm dead, bye
Jul 3, 2017 5:39 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Nostalgik said:
Ok so a couple things first: if you want to rage at me, don't, because it's not like I hated this episode - there were very passionate and beautiful moments, and the OST definitely shone in bringing out the emotion of their kiss, him chasing after her, etc. The directing was actually pretty good imo as well.

Now, for the bad things:

>The premisse itself is nothing short of retarded: "to combat birth rates". If you want to combat birth rates then this would be a LOT more thrilling if the kids didn't get a notice at fucking 16 years old. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

>Maybe it's for them to get used to each other before being adults (20 in Japan)? Well, why not make them choose themselves a partner before, say, their mid 20s, or even 20 years old? It's not like they are not going to fuck and have kids if they aren't picked by the time they're 16. If the premisse were to choose your partner until you're 20 and if you didn't choose they'd assign you someone who hadn't chosen either, then that'd be a lot more interesting, considering we'd be dealing with grown-ups and not fucking high-schoolers once again for the sake of being relatable.

>Yes, there'd DEFINITELY be TWO people from the government to come and deliver you your letter IN PERSON, as the special snowflake you are. They'd just send it by mail and done, wtf.

>Of COOOOOURSE this is an effortless first-love: the LOSER, yes you, the viewer who is shy and never talked to a girl before, most definitely caught the heart of the hottest girl in class by giving them half rubber and talk passionately about freaking temples in class. WOWIE. OH! And SHE KEPT IT FOR 5 YEARS! Wowie wowie wowie, makes sense I guess.

>I'm honestly curious about that nonsensical screen-twitching when he got a phone message, but that's all I'm going to unveil. I can't get invested any deeper in such a nonsensical premisse.
I'm gonna bite since nobody else did and I'm gonna take this as another opportunity to educate the vanilla masses once again

1. To address your first point, you kinda contradicted yourself with your second point considering that most likely the reason why their partners are chosen at 16 is not only because "Maybe it's for them to get used to each other before being adults" but also because the age of marriage consent in Japan is between 16-18 (With parental consent of course, but in this story, the government took over that role)

I disagree with it "being more thrilling" if they were 20/adults solely because High School (Basically ages 16-18) is where adolescents start to really dive into having romantic relationships and (for some) the deeper acts that they include such as being sexually active etc and even though some people tend to downplay love at this age, this period is usually the first time where we as individuals would develop strong feelings for the opposite (Or the same) sex, so to have that legally ripped from you is pretty tragic

And also, at the end of the day, this series is directed towards adolescents in a country where they are having a problem with these individuals coming together in marriage and multiplying (Do some research, this is LITERALLY a problem that Japan are having today lol) so to say that this whole concept is retarded is pretty narrow-minded of you to say......All this is really is an extreme solution on how to combat this problem.....There's tons of reasons why this would be a huge problem both morally and ethicallythough and that's why I'm hoping that this series will at least touch on these things in some way no matter how big or small

2. As for your second point, it goes back to what I said above, the issue here is that nobody was having sex with the intention of breeding nor were they dating (And that's a big IF on the dating part) with the intention of a long term relationship leading to marriage (Which is what is happening in Japan right now) and when this happens, you will eventually have a decline in population.....One reason as to why it's probably like this is the fact that Japanese people are generally really reserved and shy for some reason, especially during school years and that the way they date is pretty different from how it happens in the west....And besides, to further make sense of this system, the show DID layout the fact that there's an algorithm that is used to match people based on genetics etc so incompatibility doesn't seem to be much of an issue here either in the long run

A stark contrast to Japan in this case (Both in this anime and IRL) would be China whom are the exact opposite in every way, and to combat this, the government literally made a law stating that families aren't allowed to have more than 1 (I think its 1 but I'm not sure) kid because of overpopulation

3. As for the 2 officials thing, this is anime man, they need to add drama somehow xD I'm kinda intrigued as to why they're fucking with the MC like this

4. To defend Neji (God I had withdrawals when I saw them call him that because of Neji from Naruto lol), in most cases like this that we see in anime, most guys would have shit themselves if their crush said what she said to him in school (Like I know for a fact that if that was me at that age, I would have been HURT BAD and would have probably been depressed for a bit lol) and instead this man said fuck that cliche, I'm gonna have balls and tell her how I feel and sure enough, that's what he did instead of being a pussy like most male MC's in this genre are and that in itself is pretty respectable

As for the whole her reciprocating his feelings thing, I've said this in the Kado sub forum, and I'll say it again, love in general doesn't make sense nor can it always be calculated. For some people, stuff like the encounter between these two characters is all it takes for them to feel a certain type of way about someone especially at that age and as for the 5 years thing, they were kids and were shy, what did you expect them to do lol? And I wouldn't even go as far as to call Neji a loser considering that there was nothing to suggest that he was one....The guy was just average, average =/= being a loser

TokoyaJul 3, 2017 5:51 PM
Jul 3, 2017 5:43 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
cwtgcheese said:
Tokoya said:

Not sure what this means. It was most likely an email, and even so, the writing is making it seem like the broken phone is the reason why the names are different, which doesn't make any sense. In any case the message has to be recoverable somehow.
I'm dead lol

SMS = Short Message Service which is basically a text message.....Be it that or an email, automated messages are a thing

But yeah, the phone messing up (I think it got hacked tbh) is clearly a plot device somehow so I hope that they deal with that and not brush it aside
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What the is the concept of Koi to Uso (Spoilers)

Darth_InVader - Feb 23, 2019

10 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Apr 5, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Koi to Uso Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2017

90 by Giolbat »»
Mar 18, 6:57 PM

» Koi to uso -About Anime, Manga and my feelings for Sanada Ririna [and the fact that i think I've come to genuinely develop love feelings for her even though shes not real]

ScaryNightmare - Jul 14, 2023

5 by ScaryNightmare »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:53 AM

Poll: » Koi to Uso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2017

171 by 1_Mikay_1 »»
Jun 26, 2023 5:47 AM

Poll: » Koi to Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2017

314 by YatoIIYaboku »»
May 18, 2023 6:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.