Forum Settings
Forums

How do you shut up a friend who badmouths anime and trolls you about it?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 4, 2017 7:49 PM

Jun 2015
Ignore him forever and ever until he gets mad or sad.
Jul 4, 2017 7:50 PM

Jun 2016
They all watched Dragonball once so......
Jul 5, 2017 11:07 AM

Jun 2016
AnimeXHunter said:
Step 1: Don't have friends
Step 2: Be less gay and hate anime

but ur gay XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Jul 5, 2017 11:10 AM

Dec 2015
Reiisawh_re said:
AnimeXHunter said:
Step 1: Don't have friends
Step 2: Be less gay and hate anime

rei
more like
capitalist pig
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Jul 5, 2017 11:11 AM

Jun 2016
AnimeXHunter said:
Reiisawh_re said:

rei
more like
capitalist pig
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

nigga dont be rud this is an anime forum
Karl_Marx_SenseiJul 5, 2017 11:18 AM
Jul 5, 2017 11:15 AM

Dec 2016
Shoegum said:
-Fake your own death
-Blackmail with a promiscuous picture
-Blackmail with a secret
-Destroy their house
-Steal all the stuff from their house and sell it on the black market
-Burn down their house
-Sexually harass them
-Mind games
-Hypnotism
-Torture
-Capture their friend/girlfriend as a hostage
-Capture their family as hostages
-Kill their pet
-Rape them
-Kill them
-All of the above

Don't you think "Rape"is a little too much?
Jul 5, 2017 11:19 AM

Jun 2016
iGingerBread said:
I'll bite him to death.

~ KYOUYA HIBARI ^_^

rawr XD :3 OWO UWU nyaaaaaa desu :D :)
Jul 5, 2017 11:45 AM
Feb 2016
Isles0FMists said:
Shoegum said:
-Fake your own death
-Blackmail with a promiscuous picture
-Blackmail with a secret
-Destroy their house
-Steal all the stuff from their house and sell it on the black market
-Burn down their house
-Sexually harass them
-Mind games
-Hypnotism
-Torture
-Capture their friend/girlfriend as a hostage
-Capture their family as hostages
-Kill their pet
-Rape them
-Kill them
-All of the above

Don't you think "Rape"is a little too much?

Oops yeah, do all of the other ones except for rape
Jul 5, 2017 5:46 PM

Jun 2017
Reiisawh_re said:
iGingerBread said:
I'll bite him to death.

~ KYOUYA HIBARI ^_^

rawr XD :3 OWO UWU nyaaaaaa desu :D :)

ahahahahahah ... Kyouya is <3

Do you also watch Katekyo Hitman Reborn? :D
Jul 5, 2017 5:51 PM
Oct 2015
NEVER bring up anime around him.
That's probably the only way.
Jul 5, 2017 6:08 PM

Oct 2016
Oh, the art of ignoring your friends when they're annoying you.

I know it's hard to master, but with practicing and motivation you'll eventually master it.

That being said, if you actually happen to master it and your so called friend still keeps trying to find new ways to annoy you, there's only one thing to say: That's not a friend, not anymore.
Jul 5, 2017 8:06 PM

Aug 2016
I have a friend that does that, and it's very simple: make him cringe by being a weeb. That'll piss him off so much and now you're on equal terms.
Jul 5, 2017 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
Scream your lungs out until your hair goes up and turns blond then throw a kamehameha at them!

Also take notes from this!
Jul 5, 2017 8:57 PM

Apr 2017
Don't react to their trolling and they will stop. If they persist despite you not reacting, then block them and unfriend them. Simple.

Also, don't act like liking anime is something to be ashamed of. Just pretend it's a perfectly normal hobby/interest. It is pretty normal anyway in 2k17.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Jul 5, 2017 8:58 PM

Oct 2014
i dunno, maybe achievements in real life will make him feel pathetic for mocking you for watching cartoons
Jul 5, 2017 9:02 PM

Mar 2016
Since you can't force your own interests on others , you either get yourself friends who will accept or already like same thing you like or you just get used to it and consider it a way that person teases you or smtg
Seunghoon my sunflower
Jul 5, 2017 9:08 PM

Dec 2016
Everyone has a right to voice their opinions, but if your so-called 'friend' keeps bothering you about it, consider shoving bleach down his/her throat
Jul 5, 2017 9:34 PM
Feb 2017
Are both of you single? Find a girl who likes anime and use anime as a way to convince her to go out with you and then brag about how anime got you a girlfriend.
Jul 5, 2017 9:59 PM
Oct 2016
It sounds like your friends are just pushing your buttons. The best way to get them to stop isn't to get upset in your requests but to talk to both of them frankly. The frank (calm, collected, minimal emotion in the delivery) nature of a request generally conveys a seriousness that they will subconsciously pick up on. Finalizing the delivery while keeping the same calm collected through the whole talk will convey concerted effort on your part.

It's hard to explain but it's sort of like when someone gets so angry they bottle up all emotion and seem very cold and collected. That "still waters run deep" nature is viewed as a threat subconsciously by us for a few reasons. I've solved many problems just by framing it in this way.

Example speech.

"Joe, Jay, I'd like to talk to the two of you later, alone." (calm collected, not emotional but not accusatory, as casual and at ease as you can - the request here carries most of the punch via context, not your demeanor)

Later on when they are alone, aren't rushed for time, don't have to be somewhere in 3 minutes, and have no "outs" as an excuse to cut it short.

"Listen, the two of you have been doing something that I've asked you time and again not to do. I don't need you to like my hobbies and I don't consider you friends just because we like the same things. What I do need you to do is to stop trying to attack my character through hobbies of mine you don't understand. Anime is a very broad medium and suggesting it as a whole sucks is as silly (purposely using a disarming word her to keep their defense down - the word I'd use if I wasn't trying to solve the problem is ignorant) as claiming "movies" suck. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to not only share with you the anime I like and discuss why I like it, but I understand that not everyone likes all things, hell, I'd even like it if you liked different anime that I might hate, but that's not what's important here really. You guys keep up this act when you know it bothers me, and while I can appreciate banter It's not coming off as such. It feels like you two just want to make me feel bad and it's making me angry, not because your are making me feel bad but because two of my friends seemingly want to make me feel bad, there is a difference. If you weren't my friends and I didn't care about you on some level we wouldn't be having this conversation and I wouldn't be making this request."

-something along those lines. My friends and I are really close so I wouldn't have to make such a request, not because they wouldn't make fun of me - but because we don't hurt each other purposely through intent. However, I can imagine the sort of position you might be in and if I were you the above is how I might solve the problem.

Appeal to their valuing you as a friend by citing the value you see in their friendship. Convey to them that you value their friendship in a truthful way - then relay the message that when they attack you in this manner - they are damaging that value more than they are damaging you. If you reveal the value of the friendship to them - which takes a bit of being vulnerable - they will actually value it in return even more and will most likely stop.

That said - banter between friend is one of the more sincere forms of communication. at least between guys. The girls dynamic is very different and I can't claim to be an authority on that.

Jul 5, 2017 11:37 PM
Jun 2016
Hamakami said:
It sounds like your friends are just pushing your buttons. The best way to get them to stop isn't to get upset in your requests but to talk to both of them frankly. The frank (calm, collected, minimal emotion in the delivery) nature of a request generally conveys a seriousness that they will subconsciously pick up on. Finalizing the delivery while keeping the same calm collected through the whole talk will convey concerted effort on your part.

It's hard to explain but it's sort of like when someone gets so angry they bottle up all emotion and seem very cold and collected. That "still waters run deep" nature is viewed as a threat subconsciously by us for a few reasons. I've solved many problems just by framing it in this way.

Example speech.

"Joe, Jay, I'd like to talk to the two of you later, alone." (calm collected, not emotional but not accusatory, as casual and at ease as you can - the request here carries most of the punch via context, not your demeanor)

Later on when they are alone, aren't rushed for time, don't have to be somewhere in 3 minutes, and have no "outs" as an excuse to cut it short.

"Listen, the two of you have been doing something that I've asked you time and again not to do. I don't need you to like my hobbies and I don't consider you friends just because we like the same things. What I do need you to do is to stop trying to attack my character through hobbies of mine you don't understand. Anime is a very broad medium and suggesting it as a whole sucks is as silly (purposely using a disarming word her to keep their defense down - the word I'd use if I wasn't trying to solve the problem is ignorant) as claiming "movies" suck. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to not only share with you the anime I like and discuss why I like it, but I understand that not everyone likes all things, hell, I'd even like it if you liked different anime that I might hate, but that's not what's important here really. You guys keep up this act when you know it bothers me, and while I can appreciate banter It's not coming off as such. It feels like you two just want to make me feel bad and it's making me angry, not because your are making me feel bad but because two of my friends seemingly want to make me feel bad, there is a difference. If you weren't my friends and I didn't care about you on some level we wouldn't be having this conversation and I wouldn't be making this request."

-something along those lines. My friends and I are really close so I wouldn't have to make such a request, not because they wouldn't make fun of me - but because we don't hurt each other purposely through intent. However, I can imagine the sort of position you might be in and if I were you the above is how I might solve the problem.

Appeal to their valuing you as a friend by citing the value you see in their friendship. Convey to them that you value their friendship in a truthful way - then relay the message that when they attack you in this manner - they are damaging that value more than they are damaging you. If you reveal the value of the friendship to them - which takes a bit of being vulnerable - they will actually value it in return even more and will most likely stop.

That said - banter between friend is one of the more sincere forms of communication. at least between guys. The girls dynamic is very different and I can't claim to be an authority on that.

it really helped... thanks.
most of the people who struggle with the same thing as I do. they must follow this.it actually helped me to stop them from harassing me
Beat
Jul 5, 2017 11:49 PM
Oct 2016
Beat000 said:
Hamakami said:

Example speech.

most of the people who struggle with the same thing as I do. they must follow this.it actually helped me to stop them from harassing me

Oh man, that's awesome. I'm really glad it helped and I didn't expect to hear the result - thanks for that, you probably made my week if not month. If you ever want to talk about anything, don't hesitate and just send me a PM/DM.
Jul 5, 2017 11:51 PM

Jul 2015
Ignore them, or realize that anime is gay
Jul 6, 2017 12:01 AM
Jun 2016
Hamakami said:
Beat000 said:

Oh man, that's awesome. I'm really glad it helped and I didn't expect to hear the result - thanks for that, you probably made my week if not month. If you ever want to talk about anything, don't hesitate and just send me a PM/DM.

hehe sure mate. :3
I shall PM/DM you anytime I feel like

Beat
Jul 6, 2017 12:05 AM
Oct 2016
@Beat000 one last piece of advice, although it is not to the same scale as what you just confronted. Understand now that your two friends, if my recommendation solved the problem - will possibly be feeling a bit guilty. A good goal is to find a way to disarm their guilt by conveying the problem you just solved is water under the bridge. Note- when it is actually water under the bridge, it's fine to give it a few days or a week or two if that's what you need - emotions will still be running through all of you for a few days - humans don't instantly resolve the emotional aspect to conflicts, it's impossible. In my experience it takes about 3 days for people to adjust even after a logical resolution.

Anyway, in a few days to a week, if you are up to it find a way to convey to them that what was resolved is truly water under the bridge. If I were you the way I'd convey this is with a little self-deprecating humor. Like the 3 of us are hanging out and the one friend who never watched anime and presumably would never watch it asks "what should we do?" I'd say something like "Watch the newest episode of [x] of course" in an appropriate sarcastic tone while giving him a sarcastic look - conveying to him "I'm past it",

In this example you show him/them that you are past the emotional point where you can make fun of the situation in order to put their minds at ease.

However you know your friends better than I do and some friends don't need this sort of "after care" - some presume water is under the bridge after a couple of days, and if your friends are like this then it's no big deal.

Another "easier" and safer way to achieve the same end result is a gag gift around Christmas. Like get the pair of them a "anime box" (don't know what it's called) along with their normal gift. or even something as cheap as a sticker stocking stuffer. The cost is up to what you can spare and your ages. The idea is the gag gift lets them know "I can laugh about it now so there are no hard feelings".

anyway, I'm really glad I could help out.
Jul 6, 2017 12:06 AM

Dec 2015
Don't get triggered or angry, and always answer them with yeah/okay/cool/I see, and stuff like that. It works every time for me.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 6, 2017 12:15 AM

Dec 2016
kidnap them and force them to watch boku no pico non stop for a whole week
Jul 6, 2017 12:18 AM

Feb 2016
Beat000 said:
how do I shut up my friend who says anime sucks even though he never watched it
and another friend whom I made him watch anime and he even liked it but still troll me and badmouth anime to trigger me.
*sigh*

Have sex with their moms and then brag about it in front of them.
Jul 6, 2017 12:59 AM

Apr 2015
I used to be that friend, then I gave anime a try.

Find a series he might like, then force him to watch it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2017 1:04 AM
Jan 2012
Beat000 said:
how do I shut up my friend who says anime sucks even though he never watched it
and another friend whom I made him watch anime and he even liked it but still troll me and badmouth anime to trigger me.
*sigh*
It's obvious that theu do this to get a reaction out of you. Just don't react with any anger or sadness. Eventually, they will get bored and stop
Jul 6, 2017 1:20 AM
Nov 2016
I know a guy that can make this friend of your's disappear but it wount be cheap. You just tell me where he or she lives and how he or she looks and the target will be killed in 3 days. The total price will be 27 000 swedish krons.
Jul 6, 2017 3:30 AM

Oct 2016
I give them a good glare stare with a nice smile, it usually works~

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Jul 6, 2017 8:02 AM
Jun 2017
"I am sorry that there's nothing in your life that excites you so much, must be a sad life"
Jul 6, 2017 9:03 AM
Jun 2016
Androxus said:
I know a guy that can make this friend of your's disappear but it wount be cheap. You just tell me where he or she lives and how he or she looks and the target will be killed in 3 days. The total price will be 27 000 swedish krons.

Only if u will pay :') then maybe i can consider that..
Beat
Jul 6, 2017 2:39 PM
Nov 2016
Beat000 said:
Androxus said:

Only if u will pay :') then maybe i can consider that..

You got yourself a deal buddy. Tell me do you want the targets death to be quick or long and very painful?
Jul 6, 2017 2:44 PM
Apr 2010
Dude, just grow a spine and tell him to shove it up his ass. No need to over complicate anything, like what some people are doing.
Jul 6, 2017 2:49 PM

Sep 2015
stitch their mouth shut.
The sound of some one with their mouth shut
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Jul 6, 2017 2:54 PM

Apr 2016
theyre right tho, anime is pretty gayyy
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Characters you don't mind getting sucked dry by

Dragevard - 3 minutes ago

0 by Dragevard »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by jieanteater »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

54 by ISeeLifePeople »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

60 by FanofAction »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 8 hours ago

19 by SgtBateMan »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.