Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 »
Apr 30, 2018 12:17 PM

Jun 2010
loved the first episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2018 3:07 PM

Jul 2009
Very nice 1st episode, seems like Gilbert didn't make it...but they will all fool her, since they know that she would be devastated since she just see herself as an weapon.
Aug 17, 2018 1:31 AM
Jun 2013
ok the animation is beautiful. I do want to know what this war was about and what violet is exactly. Shes not a robot and just seems like child of war but there has to be more to that. also we got the usal big boobed lady.
souledge94Aug 17, 2018 1:38 AM
Aug 24, 2018 3:15 AM

Jun 2013
As expected, the animation is GORGEOUS. The colors are vibrant and it sucks you right in. You can tell many of the characters are going to deal with PTSD, great cast of seiyuus/voice actors. Obviously, Violet is going to be reunited with her brooch that's the same shade as her major's eyeballs.

Benedict and Claudia Hodgins are awesome. Claudia Hodgins is currently my favorite character but I wonder why his first name is Claudia and not Claude?

Violet is employee of the year for delivering mail late at night and murdering that tilapia on her plate.

This series is going to make me cry isn't it? If I don't cry then I'm a motherfucking monster.

I'm just glad that I'm finally watching this series. I meant to watch it when it first came out but I was too busy. Now I can binge watch everything.

Obviously, her major loved her but is there more?
臭い-
Sep 18, 2018 11:12 PM
Apr 2008
I'm blown away by the cohesiveness of the entire episode. Writing, music, atmosphere, framing, directing, voicework, everything. Everything was put together and presented so delicately and intimate. Masterful directing.

That said, I couldn't stop myself from always picturing Sousuke Sagara of Full Metal Panic! fame whenever Violet says "問題ない No problem". More than a slight parallel there. And her Edward Elric Arms. And Saber looks....
Oct 21, 2018 12:06 PM

May 2018
It's rare to stumble upon a show with such a strong first episode. We didn't see much, but that what was shown (especially the scenes of the past) can hit hard. And the movie-quality art just makes it better.
More please.
Dec 27, 2018 10:23 AM

Mar 2016
The whole episode, I was just so impressed by the visual details put into this first episode alone! I find myself constantly pausing on different scenes just to take in and appreciate all the details that exist within the scene. Simply beautiful...

Alright, so Violet, a human-weapon, a tool of the war that is now facing a whole new war. The war of living in peaceful times. If a person is brought up normally since their birth and then suddenly sent off for war, the amount of things to adapt to is incredibly insane. Here it's the opposite where Violet, a child who has been brought up in the war and fought all her life, now suddenly forced to adapt to a normal life. Oooh, I sense a great amount of potential character development throughout this 13 episodes show. Especially now that she stated that her goal (and not an order) is to understand what the late Major that cares for her so much meant by the words "I love you!

Violet is undoubtedly cute though, and thanks to the number of details, her appearance quality is even greater, making her even more beautiful! I wonder how old she's at this point in time... 17? 18? 20?
Dec 29, 2018 6:08 AM
Jan 2017
It was meh.It is just trying too hard to make you feel and I felt absolutely nothing.
From recent experiences It looks like whenever anime is hyped or appreciated for bringing you feels,making you emotional then it is certain that I am not going to feel a damn thing from that anime.
Dec 29, 2018 11:25 PM
Sep 2018
The animation is so good that it makes me forget that I am watching something that is animated. This could pass for live action. The Dub is great.

recap:
Violet seems to be some sort of superweapon who was injured in the final months of the war, lost her CO and is trying to recover from her wounds. Surprisingly, they take a realistic take on mechanical arms and they are inferior to normal arms in this world instead of being more powerful like they are in every other anime.

I have a feeling that just recapping the plot is not going to work on most episodes because the purpose of the scenes are to show us certain personality aspects of the characters.

It is heavily implied that Violet worked for the German army and so I simply do not believe that they won the war as stated in the show.
1. The German army has a fetish for building wunderwaffes especially when they are losing a war.
2. The helmet's in the flashback are German. In any other anime I would think the writers are just stupid but I am told this anime is good.
3. The MC has blonde hair and blue eyes. I mean come on man.

I find it strange that a secret government project ends up in the hands of a normal industrialist. I know that mail isn't technically an industry but Industrialist is the character archetype.

There was something said about the bank or his loan. I will have to watch again.

This episode is surprisingly slow paced for 1st episodes. Quite a bold move. I imagine the pace will slow done more.

Everything accounted for, if we do get some sort of Romance then this might be a great anime to show my friends who have never seen an anime. Limited perverted content. Good characterizations.

I personally feel that if somebody isn't dealing with an issue then you should let them live in blissful ignorance but I can tell that the story is going to go in a different direction and that is going to be a major part of the exploration and development of the main character.

Also, Love is not that complicated of a thing. Love is just wanting to have sex with the person. Having to find "the perfect person" is such a first world problem. Passionate love fades the longer you stay with somebody while companionate love grows.
Jan 21, 2019 2:18 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This is going to be a rollercoaster, stories of war has always been that heavy on emotion for how reliant on love and loss they are, it makes you happy that we are on a time of no major global conflict. May peace always remain.
Well, for starters, the animation is unquestionably beautiful, nothing to nag on that, might as well be the best-looking TV series I've seen so far, and I'm talking here about how amazingly consistent the anatomy and faces. Most of the show fall short on delivery a good artwork when it comes to characters, especially the uncanny quality shifts between direct and side shots on the face, but with this show, I never felt that everybody looked a bit unrealistically beautiful, no hard feelings on that or anything.
Still, there were some tiny na-aa moments with CGI, let's just not go there.
Feb 26, 2019 6:39 PM

Dec 2018
first episode is about as inspiring as a lukewarm glass of water.
Mar 16, 2019 1:03 AM
Jul 2018
Violet is Mikasa, the same voice actor, and they can fight well and don't understand anything other than the person they love
Mar 25, 2019 5:02 PM
Sep 2018
There is something make me curious, how much budget they have to build such a beautiful world with all smallest detail??
May 7, 2019 5:57 AM

Feb 2013
Interesting start!
Wow, she would work 24/7 if she was ordered to.
May 26, 2019 9:11 AM
May 2012
I remember waiting for this Anime when the PV came out, and now it has been a year already since it came out.....and I am only watching it now.
Anyway, I like it so far. The animation, the setting and the atmosphere is really nice. I want to live there :(
Jun 16, 2019 1:11 PM

Mar 2018
Damn the animation and art was beautiful. I also loved Violet, she may become one of my favorite waifu's.
Evangelion is shit
Jul 17, 2019 10:21 AM

Aug 2015
Knew what was coming, but still cried.
...At least let me finish.

Jul 26, 2019 3:28 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Mesmerising Stuff! Animation is Doubtlessly Stunning and the Music Department totally Delivered too, especially during the start with the Letters scattering across the Sky there! Truly, an Impeccable Start!

Rewatching this makes me wholly convinced now that this piece of art right here is the most refined and simply the most beautiful I have ever had the pleasure of viewing! It truly is .. Enchanting!

Violet as a Doll lacking Human Features was wonderfully depicted and this is honestly one of the factors that made me love this show so much! Going through this all over again and seeing her mature as a person and a human, it really is a Journey worth remembering! Gruesome battle scenes there though, especially that scene of her limb detaching and falling off. I’m assuming she tried to haul the Major so bad with the impaled arm that it .. detached, and that honestly scares me. Lt. final words there of her finally showing some humanity was .. touching, to say the least. One of my favourite introductory episodes and it’s been a Great Pleasure to watch it again. It’s hard when I think that the animators and staff behind this wonderful production may not be here with us now or ever back to the industry, it really is heartbreaking.

#PrayForKyoAni
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 28, 2019 7:38 AM
Feb 2019
Great first episode. I haven't read anything related to this show so I'm completely new to the story.

The aesthetics in this episode were amazing; nice portray of what I think is Europe, Maybe Germany? maybe post WW1?

The nature, the buildings, the vehicles, everything inside the houses. People, their eyes. Everything looked beautiful and appealing.

For the story, it seems it's going to be about Violet recovering from her traumatic experience in war and her disgraceful upbringing as well as the Colonel trying to pay back for what they (himself included) did to a little innocent kid.

Not my favorite type of story, but I like it so far.

4/5
RobinMayJul 28, 2019 7:45 AM
Aug 3, 2019 11:39 AM
Jun 2017
A self-discovery anime, nice. The animation is simply lovely.
Oct 3, 2019 2:52 AM

Mar 2015
Interesting start to this one!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 12, 2020 8:49 PM

Oct 2010
idk guys... something tells me this gilbert guy might be dead
Feb 8, 2020 11:01 AM

Feb 2012
Yui Ishikawa AND Aya Endou? Such recognizable voices <3 <3

So what's Violet's prior relationship with the Evergarden family she was just adopted into? Did she already have the surname? Was she just given the surname offscreen because Hodgins just addressed her as "Violet Evergarden" and she didn't correct him or anything?

So does she have eidetic memory? She was willing to let the guy who wanted to send a letter to his childhood friend let her know what to write upfront instead of sitting down and write while listening (that and the fact she knows Hodgins despite only meeting him two times before).
Fortress_MaximusMay 12, 2020 5:54 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 21, 2020 2:29 AM

Jan 2017
love story??bro those mouth and lip movements....CRINGE LEVEL 1000!whats wrong with Violet though?i am sick of seeing those type of behaviors in Anime!
Mar 28, 2020 10:45 AM

Feb 2019
This is a TV anime for real???

Holy sheet, the animation, sound directing, backgrounds are on movie level. This has to be a an anime movie in disguise as a TV series.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Mar 31, 2020 10:22 AM

Jul 2014
Really slow paced first episode. The animation was top notch and colours palette is beautiful.
Apr 11, 2020 6:35 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
At first, I was not going to comment, but I was happily pleased with the first episode, so I may as well do it.
I never got around the hype to watch it when it was airing by I still recall that first promo material that lead the community to be really intrigued by the gorgeous animation.

Seems like KyoAni managed to accomplish its goal, really gorgeous and detailed visuals, backgrounds and character designs, but also motion. It is a visual treat, but I m positive the story will also go in interesting ways, it already looks rather interesting and unique.

I will make sure to slowly enjoy the anime for sure~~
May 3, 2020 7:02 AM

Aug 2019
A pretty nice first episode. The art and animation is gorgeous. Everything looks so beautiful and the story with the post-war setting seems interesting. Not a big fan of Violet with her extreme emotionless, robotic behaviour but I hope that we get to see quite a development for her character.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 5, 2020 10:02 PM

Jun 2009
damn, that was beautiful & sad. I think Violet already low-key knows what love feels like

Jun 19, 2020 10:06 AM

Jun 2020
A neat opening for an amazing anime! Loved it.
Aug 28, 2020 6:21 AM

Jun 2020
20 of 10. This episode is very good, they tell us a very well planned story, in addition to its good animation.
I guess it's not easy for her to understand human feelings, I want to see how this story continues.
Sometimes otakus are rejected by society, so I discovered that it is much better to be an
otaku in secret.
Sep 25, 2020 2:23 PM

Aug 2013
Well, it was pretty pretentious and melancholic from the very start. Good anime develop characters first and only then gives viewer a reason to empathize with them and bad anime throw some silly occasions at viewer even though he or she is full of questions and doesn't even know all these characters.
Very slow and boring episode full of meaningless flashy flashbacks, MC is a typical annoying kudere with a big nameplate on her "android can love too", obvious story and character development from the start - pathetic. It's like an author was feared of consequences from making anime in sci-fi or cyberpunk style because he hadn't nothing to say and show in such setting especially because of famous rivals. So we have some kind of alternative 1930s here but with a girl which act like a robot and has more advanced implanted hands than she could have in our days, sounds like a silly fairy tale to me.
Good art but who cares? Some music here and there but who cares? It's just another flashy anime full of melodrama and teary puppy eyes, I bet it was made for females (because its art style saying it all plus melancholic vibes) and simpletons (which love everything flashy and pretentious).
LawgunSep 25, 2020 2:56 PM
Sep 28, 2020 2:23 AM

Jul 2020
The first episode is very interesting. The animation is great as well as the BGM.
Oct 17, 2020 9:38 AM
Sep 2020
I like it, love it!
Oct 17, 2020 9:41 AM
Sep 2020
I really like this, because it's really good
Oct 17, 2020 9:41 AM
Sep 2020
I really like this, because it's really good
Nov 8, 2020 9:38 PM
Sep 2020
i'm a little confused on everything that's going on, but i like how it is so far! i just hope the whole "i love you" thing was more of a platonic love bc that's a huge age gap... but otherwise it was rly good
Dec 2, 2020 2:49 AM

Jul 2020
Surprised to see the mixed reviews on this first episode which I thought was great for a introductory episode. Not a fan of light novel adaptations half of the time but this show might reel me in already.
Dec 12, 2020 12:34 PM
Aug 2020
This anime is beautiful. I know I've only seen the first episode, but the music and visuals brought me to tears. I want to know more about these characters. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Dec 15, 2020 1:16 PM

Nov 2020
yea
yea
bored
dadddddtraaaaa
Dec 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Jan 2019
Given the amount of spoiler tags on the first page of this forum, I'm too scared to read anyone else's thoughts in case they're less polite with their spoilers.
Feb 2, 2021 4:24 AM

Aug 2018
Beautiful first episode, really love how well animated it feels, this is gonna be some kind of emotional rollercoster for sure in the future
Mar 14, 2021 6:14 AM

Jun 2020
It was so beautiful...... as expected of Kyoani. I was already tearing up & the story has just begun. I’m enthralled with Gilbert & Violet’s relationship.....

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Mar 20, 2021 8:41 PM

Sep 2020
The first episode was really beautiful ngl. Stunning animation and I really love the music choice.

So, she does love him but she doesn't understand it! Guess this is gonna be a journey of self-discovery!

This was cute ngl!

I kinda feel bad for her

They do fit her!

Oh God no, :( I feel really bad for her

So, he feels guilty about it

Mess with waifu, lose your laifu
May 1, 2021 4:38 AM

Aug 2018
This looks great but was kind of boring
_______I like rocks__
May 10, 2021 8:05 AM
May 2021
I ran out of tears... couldn’t cry for the next episode
May 10, 2021 8:16 AM
Jul 2018

5 out of 5: Loved it!
Jun 3, 2021 9:40 AM

Nov 2020
yaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefifm
Jun 23, 2021 5:07 AM

Dec 2020
that was a charming first episode. kyoto's at it again with the great animation and sound work.

take a shot everytime she said major, youd be dead lmao i can get why she says his name that much tho. "i want to know hwat 'i love you' means" ahh definitely looking forward to her journey for that then
Jul 5, 2021 12:59 PM

Jan 2021
That was good for the first episode. Although I have to admit it was a bit boring. I had take some breaks.
Pages (12) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

616 by Nekogirl27 »»
Mar 30, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.