Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2018 9:18 PM
Sep 2012
I get people can see that it was kinda underwhelming, but it's only the first episode. Give it some time for it to show more stuff with more episodes.

Still a good episode, imo. To introduce a few characters and bring out some basic premise of the story since this is a story about Violet Evergarden and her job being in the Auto Memoir Doll service to find out what "I love you" means for herself and to grow as a person.
Jan 10, 2018 9:35 PM
Mar 2014
Top 25 anime of all time according to MAL btw
Jan 10, 2018 9:37 PM
Jun 2015
This show is pretty bland outside of its gaudy presentation and good animation segments. The main character is some sort of super soldier doll in a WWI trench war that doesn't understand what love is. 12 episodes later of random people that talk ask violet to write letters there is going to be some touching scene with the major to wrap it up. Doesn't seem worth the time especially when our main character is a mediocre kuudere.
Jan 10, 2018 9:38 PM
Dec 2013
TheServant said:
It was quite beautiful anime, no doubt about that. But the storytelling was flat. The characterization was quite non-existant, & the script was a bit much on exposition. And the cinematography was weird. It's like the director wanted to show how beautiful every scene is & not so much about the story. Sometimes it was good, but most were just kind of masturbatory shot.

We can argue about preferences on story telling but how the hell is this masturbatory?

Also characterization might not have been strongly present but they did set the tone and environment flawlessly.

Anyway the reaction by viewers is what I expected. I expected the reception to be somewhat similar to what Hyouka.
aiemJan 10, 2018 9:41 PM
Jan 10, 2018 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
People are already giving reviews.. never change MAL.
Jan 10, 2018 9:45 PM
Dec 2013
As expected the world creation is top notch! Kinda like Medea created it or something...

Anyway, the story seems to be pretty strong and decisive in the direction it will go!

I really don't want to compare this to anything yet, but I am totally hoping that this will manage to break me like Clannad did!
IHGN Records
-Chiefbigcorn
Jan 10, 2018 9:46 PM
Jan 2012
Need to watch this in 1080p quality. KyoAni eye candy right from the start
Jan 10, 2018 9:51 PM
Jan 2016
aiem said:
We can argue about preferences on story telling but how the hell is this masturbatory?

Also characterization might not have been strongly present but they did set the tone and environment flawlessly.

Anyway the reaction by viewers is what I expected. I expected the reception to be somewhat similar to what Hyouka.

Before I answer, do you understand what I mean by "masturbatory shot?"

They did set the tone well. Nothing jarring whatsoever. So I agree. But set the environment well? What does that mean?

I am pretty sure the reaction was different for Hyouka than this one. My reaction for the first episode was different too, because I liked Hyouka's.

michaelhawke said:
Top 25 anime of all time according to MAL btw

It's probably going to change. Do not worry.

15poundfish said:
The main character is some sort of super soldier doll in a WWI trench war that doesn't understand what love is.

And somehow she thought by joining Auto Memoir Dolls section she could understand what love means. And that red-haired guy somehow also agreed with her.

chiefbigcorn said:
As expected the world creation is top notch! Kinda like Medea created it or something...

Those are two contradicting sentences.
Jan 10, 2018 9:57 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I don't think that I'll be able to handle all the feels that this series will surely have

Visually this show is legit movie quality so I don't need to fangasm over how godlike the art and animation is (The music is great too) but man I'm really loving the characters already

I'm kinda confused about Violet though, is she human or is she some type of android/doll or something?
Jan 10, 2018 10:07 PM
Oct 2015
The art is absolutely stunning and I'm already falling in love with this anime.
Heckle was here...
Jan 10, 2018 10:19 PM

Dec 2016
This is the anime I was looking forward to watching the most this season.

I'm pretty sure the Major is dead judging by their reactions. And then by what happens at the end.

I feel really sorry for Violet, she's basically a killing machine that only knows war and doesn't really know how to live properly and take care of herself without the help of others.

Colonel Hodgins seems to be a nice guy who wants to genuinely help her out.

A potential family to take her in and a job at the post office, that's a good start, might take a while for her to adapt though.

Wow that was quite the powerful emotional ending, Violet wants to know what love means after hearing those words from the major.

That's really cool, she now has a goal and ambition that will keep her moving on in life and looking ahead for the answer, she doesn't need any orders this time around.
Jan 10, 2018 10:24 PM

Apr 2016
Damn, what's with those yellow lines ? Are they part of the animation ?

I feel like i already once watched something similar, But l love the Slice of Life vibe from this, i'm not going to say that animation looks good, it's not like it was no already said 100x already in this thread. I like the tanned doll girl ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also

She is a "Doll" a machine ? will there be some kind of explanation of those dolls ? Like what they are ? cause you know, she was in hospital, injured, treated, she eat food, she "feel" how much are they human ?

PS: Also this will be hated by people but, there are two tanned characters, is this because of Netflix ? or are they tanned in novel too ?
Jan 10, 2018 10:26 PM

Jan 2017
I've read the novel and it looks like they're going the "I want to know what love is" path. I loved the novel and the first episode and I'll stick till the end to see how this adaptation will go.

Swagernator said:
Damn, what's with those yellow lines ? Are they part of the animation ?

I feel like i already once watched something similar, But l love the Slice of Life vibe from this, i'm not going to say that animation looks good, it's not like it was no already said 100x already in this thread. I like the tanned doll girl ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also

She is a "Doll" a machine ? will there be some kind of explanation of those dolls ? Like what they are ? cause you know, she was in hospital, injured, treated, she eat food, she "feel" how much are they human ?

I noticed those out of place colored lines too.

Also, about the "Doll" part. I was also confused at first but "Doll" is just what they are called. But I realized that they are humans even the tanned girl, Cattleya ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Shineee_Jan 10, 2018 10:30 PM
Jan 10, 2018 10:35 PM

May 2014
The show looks and sounds nice, but, IT'S SUPER BORING. I'm just hoping it gets more into the war stuff.
Jan 10, 2018 10:41 PM

Apr 2016
Gexis said:
The show looks and sounds nice, but, IT'S SUPER BORING. I'm just hoping it gets more into the war stuff.

I'm not an expert on this, but i think this show and LN is not about war, but about what or how to live after the war.

I can be mistaken tho.
Shineee_ said:
Also, about the "Doll" part. I was also confused at first but "Doll" is just what they are called. But I realized that they are humans even the tanned girl, Cattleya ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 10, 2018 10:47 PM
Jan 2015
Loved it .. loved it so much .. Dat art , dat music , Dat Waifu ( XD LOL ) .. it was perfect ..

A imperfect person trying the find the meaning of most perfect thing in this world ( Love ) , is just perfect . [ hope you can understand what i mean !!! ] ..

every moment was so beautiful .. I had lots lots of eye-gasms .

now a serious note to people who don't like it .
I assume you don't like , as quoted from 2nd popular review by @Eanraig

but making her a cookie-cutter kuudere archetype with no regards for social norms is lazy characterization at best, her current character has no depth at all and those little quirks of hers are definitely just made for the 'waifu' audience in mind, she's a weak character that pulls an otherwise serious story down a notch.

what the hell !!!!! Lazy characterization . ?? Just what kind of character would you want off a war doll who have no emotions whats so ever .. it's part of story .. i would not say it's weak character because it gives a totally different meaning . She does not have lot of emotions in her character and that's what gives it more room to grow . Anyways , animation and sound itself are enough to give it 7.5 atleast .

-------------------------- ---------------------------------- -----------------------------

I really hate and feel sorry those people who hate any thing and everything . Just how much negativity they have in their life .

Only complain i have is that i found Voilet's voice little shrill .
Jan 10, 2018 10:50 PM
Dec 2013
TheServant said:
aiem said:

Before I answer, do you understand what I mean by "masturbatory shot?"

They did set the tone well. Nothing jarring whatsoever. So I agree. But set the environment well? What does that mean?

I am pretty sure the reaction was different for Hyouka than this one. My reaction for the first episode was different too, because I liked Hyouka's.

Unless you're twisting "masturbatory" as a word in a different way then I'm sorry I don't get you.

Also environment she lives in meaning things around here. aka settings.

And no. You weren't probably paying attention regarding Hyouka's early episode reception when it aired. People said it was boring. Characterization was straightforward and was devoid of any promise. People were already crucifying it. They also were criticizing it for the lame mysteries.

So I strongly disagree when you say the reception from the community was great when it started.
Jan 10, 2018 10:55 PM
May 2017
Wow this was an awesome first episode
Beautiful animation and emotional scenes.
Jan 10, 2018 11:05 PM
Jan 2016
aiem said:
Unless you're twisting "masturbatory" as a word in a different way then I'm sorry I don't get you.

Also environment she lives in meaning things around here. aka settings.

And no. You weren't probably paying attention regarding Hyouka's early episode reception when it aired. People said it was boring. Characterization was straightforward and was devoid of any promise. People were already crucifying it. They also were criticizing it for the lame mysteries.

So I strongly disagree when you say the reception from the community was great when it started.

Thank you for your response.
Jan 10, 2018 11:12 PM

Dec 2017
It's hyped up so much and overrated before airing
But
Will this series live up to its novel counterpart?
Facts about anime[due to popular belief]

goku is the most powerful out of all the protagonists
in any naruto battle, Madara wins
in any MMORPG Kirito wins
in case of an illogical power boost/unexpected nerf/
plot hole/illogical scenarios/wrong use of abilities/no explanations/
don't question or blame the anime just follow the fans.

I have been watching anime and reading manga on occasionaly but to this day,
One thing is still a mystery to me how is it possible that some fans know more about their favourite anime and manga than the crators of the said anime or manga?
how do they explain in more detail than the creator made it in ?

Jan 10, 2018 11:13 PM

Oct 2010
At this point I'm really confused at all the praise the animation is getting. Yes, it's fantastic. But have you all not seen other KyoAni work before? Hibike! Euphonium was basically on-par. This is better in a few scenes, but marginally so. It was gorgeous but people acting like it's some nex-tier stuff are overreacting or have never seen KyoAni stuff before. And so I have to say, go watch Hibike! Euphonium. Both seasons are amazing and absolutely gorgeous.
Jan 10, 2018 11:26 PM

May 2015
Adamantine? What kind of technology is this country running on?

So soldier girl wants to learn how to live and know the meaning of love after losing her superior, and she will do that by writing letters. Interesting, interesting. It's like therapy for people who have been soldiers their whole life. Sousuke Sagara needs something like this lol.

Well they established the backstory and MC's goal right away, though it felt that they moved it along pretty quickly. So from here on out, I'm expecting a lot of love letters written with emotions of all kinds. Alright Violet, you've showed us your Evergarden. Now start tending to those hearts.
Jan 10, 2018 11:27 PM

Jan 2017
Swagernator said:

PS: Also this will be hated by people but, there are two tanned characters, is this because of Netflix ? or are they tanned in novel too ?

I don't know anything about the novel but Netflix is just a licensor. they didn't produce this show and they don't have any creative control over it.
Jan 10, 2018 11:37 PM

Nov 2015
Kougeru said:
At this point I'm really confused at all the praise the animation is getting. Yes, it's fantastic. But have you all not seen other KyoAni work before? Hibike! Euphonium was basically on-par. This is better in a few scenes, but marginally so. It was gorgeous but people acting like it's some nex-tier stuff are overreacting or have never seen KyoAni stuff before. And so I have to say, go watch Hibike! Euphonium. Both seasons are amazing and absolutely gorgeous.

I definitely see your point, and I will absolutely agree that some of the Hibike! Euphonium animation was out of this world (especially that 360-degrees shot of the entire band in season 1's OP!!!) but I still think that, at least for this episode, it is way beyond almost anything I've seen from KyoAni. The more important question is whether this standard can be maintained and will the story continue to be compelling?

I'd also recommend perusing this link's stuff (although please understand that I don't intend to insult your opinion, as I totally respect that views can differ no matter what, and I totally see your view): https://blog.sakugabooru.com/?s=violet
Jan 10, 2018 11:45 PM

Apr 2015
Guys it just started lol but it was a great start.

https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/anime/amp/2018/01/11/violet-evergarden-episode-count-anime-netflix-watch/

14 episodes confirmed. Not sure about OVA as someone mentioned it earlier l. This is basically repeated information
Jan 11, 2018 12:06 AM

Dec 2016
KyoAni back at it again with an awesome show
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 11, 2018 12:39 AM

Feb 2017
So PTSD Saber with Mikasa's voice. All the characters look really beautiful and music sounds good too. Looks promising so far.
Jan 11, 2018 12:53 AM
Jul 2018
I'm feeling skeptical, and I think that's because of my impossibly high expectations.

Obviously, the anime looks amazing (even though it's not quite as good as the trailers). Every shot was interesting, and the dialogue (for the most part) felt pretty natural.
There were some really nice character animations, like the Boss putting his hands in his pockets. That's something I haven't seen anime do before.

BUT...aside from those things, I think this anime would be pretty generic.
Robot trying to learn what emotions are? Done to death, and I'm sick of.
The pacing, while comprehensible, is too fast. Shots and scenes last too shortly for any of them to have a meaningful impact on me.

@nekkoMaster

I don't understand the anime community's argument of, "It makes sense in the story", as though that's the point. It's fiction. Not a documentary.
You could replace Violet with literally any other typical robot-with-no-emotions, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
That's why it's a good thing I'm not hyped for this anime because of the characters.

@Swagernator

Shit, I forgot to mention that! The idea of trying to find out how to live after war is one that's always fascinated me, and one I'm looking forward to in this anime.

@GanNeon

I didn't even notice the OST. It's too down-played for me, and unmemorable.

@Hibikase

Are you talking about when the anime is released on blue-ray?

@AdrianRubinsky

If this anime's atmosphere feels depressing to you, then Narcissu will make utterly crush your soul.
removed-userJan 11, 2018 1:01 AM
Jan 11, 2018 2:52 AM
Jul 2015
It was beautifully animated and the story has already captivated my heart just from the CMs and now even more so with the first episode.This was the first time that I almost cried from the first episode of an anime. They nailed the start of this anime, let's hope that they can meet expectations for the end of the series, which I hope doesn't have to come for a long time.
Jan 11, 2018 3:07 AM

May 2017
i thought this episode was really beautiful, especially the end..

i don't get why some people are disappointed or say that it not lives up to the hype?

I mean where did you get your hype from? Im guessing the trailers and teasers ?

This first episode was everything the trailers showed us, so if you say it doesnt live up to the hype then thats your problem because you overhyped it yourself

i wanna see more of this! excited for next week
Jan 11, 2018 3:14 AM

Nov 2014
RussianWolf said:
aikaflip said:
In my personal and irrelevant opinion, this first episode was neither good nor bad. Nonetheless, as I'd hoped wouldn't be the case after seeing the preview, Violet Evergarden tries too hard to be beautiful, and it's careful to the point of contrivance. A pen can't just fall; it must fall beautifully. When the wind blows, things must be beautifully whisked away to the sound of mournful violin strings. Everything is a dramatic event accentuated by gaudy, low-contrast visuals. Beyond the animation—by "animation" I mean the key and in-between work, which is undoubtedly good—little else feels inspired.

This show clearly isn't for me. Rather than whine every week about things I don't like, I'm just going to drop it. If you enjoyed it, I hope you continue to do so.

We respect your opinion, I do this often.
Just don't give it a 1 and run away.

No way. Very few shows are deserving of a 1 rating. For me, Violet Evergarden is like a 6 or 5.
Jan 11, 2018 3:16 AM

Aug 2008
Animation and design is good but heavy-handed tearjerker bullshit was pulling me away from appreciating it at times. As far as first episode goes Violet is dragging it down. I'll see how it develops but I'm not expecting anything ambitious.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 11, 2018 3:26 AM
Oct 2017
Oh my god the visuals, they were absolutely amazing, better animation than most movies I’ve seen, the score was amazing too. Overall this was a great first episode and something to look forward too on a Tuesday
Jan 11, 2018 3:27 AM

Oct 2013
Definitely eye candy, and breathtaking BG music. Otherwise though... I'm feeling pessimistic about what this show will turn into. Feels like it's going to be an episodic slice of life show, without enough elements to keep it interesting. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not counting on it.

Edit: I believe I was wrong
_AisuNov 9, 2018 5:12 PM
Jan 11, 2018 3:27 AM
Jul 2017
Oh god! If being satisfied with artwork is a sin, I'll be going to hell right now. As expected of KyoAni and their majestic animation skill. Well, the preview is better but the show still delivers the exact same amount of animation into this episode. I hope they keep the consistency throughout the whole 14 episode (I read from Wikipedia that this anime will be 14 episode long)
"To rule the time is to control the world" - Amane Suzuha
Jan 11, 2018 3:28 AM

Apr 2014
Hey, I liked this episode. Animation was pretty good, too.

But the fanservice was there, which always kinda ruins anime for me. When will anime grow up as a medium? (Probably never. Thanks creepy anime fans.)

Also, the dude calling Violet a kid looked actually younger than Violet lol
your waifu is shit
Jan 11, 2018 3:30 AM

May 2010
Animation quality and art style are stellar but this episode was a real snoozefest !

I pity the fools that rate a show on a single episode or even write reviews on a single episode, positive or negative, you are in the same boat!

3/5
Jan 11, 2018 3:32 AM
Jan 2015
NihilisticLoner said:
, <--
BUT...aside from those things, I think this anime would be pretty generic.
Robot trying to learn what emotions are? Done to death, and I'm sick of.
The pacing, while comprehensible, is too fast. Shots and scenes last too shortly for any of them to have a meaningful impact on me.

@nekkoMaster

I don't understand the anime community's argument of, "It makes sense in the story", as though that's the point. It's fiction. Not a documentary.
You could replace Violet with literally any other typical robot-with-no-emotions, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
That's why it's a good thing I'm not hyped for this anime because of the characters.
-->

i didn't get what are you trying to say . Why are you comparing anime to documentary ? .
Well , i would say , it's not so typical , because everything ( every attribute ) multiplies with each other to give the experience we want .
and clearly she is one of the most beautiful characters i have seen , she can't be replaced so easily LOL XD
Jan 11, 2018 3:40 AM

Apr 2012
Interesting series, did not expect to see the hands off and the declaration of love against the backdrop of the "Vietnamese" flashback in KyoAni's work. Nevertheless, the main character already took me prisoner due to her immediacy and similarity of personality with Reina, Sento and Saber.
Jan 11, 2018 3:44 AM
Dec 2016
My god the animation was phenomenal, this leaves all the things I've seen, in the dust.

But these are nice and heartwarming stories that center around a character. I was looking for an anime/manga like this. Another one like this I like was, Natsume Yuujincho.

But I can't wait for next week, I won't even try to read the LN because of the wonderful art of the anime.
Jan 11, 2018 3:47 AM

Mar 2016
oh my god

that was so fucking good

my eyes

everything was so beautiful

VIOLET IS THE PRETTIEST ANIME CHARACTER EVER
Jan 11, 2018 3:47 AM

Jun 2014
This kinda sucked and the main girl didnt make me care about her at all.

Next.
Jan 11, 2018 4:08 AM
May 2016
Am I like the only one who ships Violet with Benedict?
Jan 11, 2018 4:10 AM

Dec 2015
Kirei, you can always trust Kyoani for beautiful animation + art, the colour schemes are incredible. Really hoping the story holds up; children serving in war raises a few questions.
~
Jan 11, 2018 4:15 AM
Aug 2015
Good episode. I really like the visuals, the music...

As expected the chronology is kinda different from the novel but I didn't dislike it. It seems that we'll see more of Benedict and Cattleya which makes me happy lol but it also seems that we'll get a lot of focuses on the CH Postal and these anime-only characters that appear at the end of this episode (Iris and Erica) which makes me kinda sceptical...

Also, they didn't show the whole conversation between Violet and Hodgins at the hospital which was a very strong moment in the novel. But maybe they'll show it during some flashbacks?

It's interesting how they put Violet and Gilbert flashback but although the animation was good during the war scene I think it could have been better (just look at Shingeki no Kyojin or Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu fighting scenes)

Voice actors are doing a good job but I'm not used to Ishikawa's voice for Violet, it's not fitting according to me.
Kirie-sanJan 11, 2018 4:20 AM
Jan 11, 2018 4:18 AM
Jan 2016
Impressive production quality for this title, I'm highly amused that Taichi Ishidate is the director considering that other title he directed that's also about a child soldier forced off the battlefield to learn how to be a normal person and love.

Violet Evergarden = Sagara Souske with boobs.
Jan 11, 2018 4:23 AM
Dec 2013
Underwhelming first episode, but I guess this is just the set-up/introduction to the show, so the following episodes should be better. At least it looks to be more promising than Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san.
wildhoodJan 11, 2018 4:27 AM
Jan 11, 2018 4:25 AM

Nov 2012
Visually not as impressive as I expected,I know KyoAni uses alot of filters and blur effects in their anime but usually don't notice them but this was different it was very noticeable in this entire episode.Almost a sort of disservice cause in some cases it seems like the visuals would look much better without the filters/effects.

Dislike the fact Gilbert is very clearly dead but Hoggins kept that from Violet,seems unprofessional and like something that would be against military code.

Violet as of right now ain't that interesting of a protagonist,she's just a kuudere,stoic and emotionless.

Best part of this episode for me was the flashback to presumably Gilbert's death scene,would like more context on that scene.

Okay first episode,other than visuals not being as good as I expected no real disappointment so far.
VanishingKiraJan 11, 2018 4:32 AM
Jan 11, 2018 4:28 AM
Dec 2017
I still dont get the hype of this anime... but the animation is so beautiful... gonna wait a few more eps to give another though...
Jan 11, 2018 4:48 AM

Jan 2017
forgive my ignorance...
this girl is a human right, not some automaton; I'm slightly confused

it was alright, it did okay in countering the built up hype of the anime.. but obviously one episode doesn't really give anything to write an opinion of the anime, let alone a review

P.S.
BTW when are the episodes going to be released in a week, i haven't seen its broadcast time yet since it hasn't come up on MAL
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

617 by AMazingWay »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.