Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 12, 2017 3:41 PM

Jun 2014
Seems like a pretty decent start so far. It was kind of sad that no one was willing to give up their seat for the old lady, like seriously it won't kill you to stand for a little bit until you reach your destination.

These students in class D better step it up or else they're going to be fucked over for a long time to come. Also not really sure why people were surprised by the reveal at the end, even though the synopsis didn't outright spoil that, the fact that it talks about how class D is ridiculed and that the students are "inferior" should have been enough of a hint to figure out there was a catch to the 100,000 points per month thing.

pgmhecateii said:
It seems interesting, at least to me. I'm sure I couldn't spend $1000 (well, it would be 900 something ) in one month, especially if it were for free. Someone who did would be an idiot. How did they ever get into this so-called "prestigious school"?

The synopsis does describe the students in class D as the place where the "inferior" students were dumped. So that's pretty much the sugarcoated way of saying those students aren't exactly the brightest, and explains why some of them would be dumb enough to freely spend that much money in just a month.
thebrentinator24Jul 12, 2017 3:44 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 12, 2017 3:44 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It was a huge ass ''meh'' but the ending still makes me want to see where this is going.

But i could see myself dropping it tho..
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 12, 2017 3:47 PM

Jul 2014
It would be difficult to find anywhere close to that many screwups with good enough grades to go to an elite school. Seems like a pretty big plot hole, but maybe it'll be explained?
Jul 12, 2017 4:02 PM
Aug 2016
Luthandorius said:
Someone who read the manga told the anime feels different (and he prefers the anime). Does anyone know the novel? Maybe manga and novel are different and the anime is following the novel more closely.

read the manga and ln here. i think i prefer the novel since there are many things that didn't included in the manga but were there in the anime, and some things changed in the anime where it could be something really important for the development. but i dont know how to direct an anime adaptation of a ln, and what i know there will be some things that different from the source, so i hope it's not that bad.

Sokah said:
It would be difficult to find anywhere close to that many screwups with good enough grades to go to an elite school. Seems like a pretty big plot hole, but maybe it'll be explained?

yes it will, in the latter episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2017 4:23 PM

Sep 2016
main character = shitty voice acting, boring, bland, plain character.
+ edgy main girl

oh man, another easy 1/10
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 12, 2017 4:29 PM

Jan 2014
this really give Oregairu feeling to it.
it piss me off at the beginning with that bastard attitude in the bus, and everyone that ignore the old lady and doesnt want to give their sit to the old lady.
the animation looks okay, the cast are good except our MC (boy) i dont like his voice it bother me. well i hope i will get used to it soon.
that was quiet a decent start, i like it. i really curious i might check out the novel later.
VonatraJul 12, 2017 4:47 PM
Jul 12, 2017 4:31 PM
Jun 2016
MomoSinX said:
wolfwing said:
I had already guessed what was coming, but did the MC get any points, as he actually seemed to be focusing more on being a good student and doing the right thing, or is it basicly the entire class loses points?

I think nobody got any points, so even if there are decent people who used their points smartly they get collectively punished anyway.

he had enough points that he could have gotten some, or just smartly not spent.
Jul 12, 2017 4:32 PM

Aug 2013
Don't know why many people hate the MC's voice. I actually like this kind of detached character much more than the regular high school MC.

So far I am liking this series. This first episode was extremely predictable tho.

The teacher said the entire class got 0 points for the month is one of these "if someone do not behave in the class, the entire class is punished" since Horikita and the MC was behaving normally the entire month. Personally, I never understand this mindset of teaching.
Jul 12, 2017 4:32 PM
Aug 2015
dragonshade said:
This looks like Oregairu. You have hayama, hachiman, Yui and Yukino replicas lol.

Exactly what I thought!
Jul 12, 2017 4:56 PM

Sep 2011
I actually enjoyed this... Lol. I like the MC's voice mainly because he gives off the whole "I'm dead" vibe in his eyes.
Jul 12, 2017 5:08 PM

Jun 2017
I was impressed by this first episode. Looking forward to see how this story will unfold.

You might get the impression that this will be similar to Oregairu, but trust me if you pay attention to the details you can tell it's going to head in a totally different direction. I could probably pull an essay-kun on why but I think I'll hold back this time.
Jul 12, 2017 5:49 PM

Apr 2013
It's starting off a bit too slowly, I think they could have condensed the first episode quite a bit and have had that punch that happened towards the end of the episode happen in the middle, I'll watch the second episode and see if it really kicks off otherwise I think this one is dead in the water.
Jul 12, 2017 6:01 PM
Nov 2013
I was already interested in this show, but I wasn't expecting it to be one of the best premieres of the season so thus far. The visuals for this show are super appealing, super colorful! Especially the eyes and hair. It's kind of funny that everything is so colorful considering the tone of the episode was stark in contrast.

Super interested to see where this goes. I already like both the main male and female characters (Ayanokouji reminds me of both Hachiman from Oregairu and Karl from Saekano).
Jul 12, 2017 6:08 PM
Jun 2017
Hmmm I'm quite surprised on how this episode turned out to surprisingly good despite rushing/skipping some stuff from the novel (contrary on how everyone said it to be slow paced).
Well so far I'm impressed despite the changes,the animation is good,the ost not so much...I like the op tho.Definitely looking forward for more! 4/5
Jul 12, 2017 6:16 PM

Jan 2011
I guess i can see where people are getting the baka test from with the points but the tone of this show sure as hell doesn't feel like it, with how the walls were set up was expecting a dangaronpa moment but thankfully it didn't get that dark ,but it ended with a more logical outcome only a idiot would think there wouldn't be any repercussions for not doing anything for a whole month she said so right at the start :P.

seems okay ..MC really is channeling his 8man even without the fish eyes he makes up for it with his lifeless voice , hopefully since it feels like a lot of focus will be on society the characters don't end up being too 1 dimensional

bringing up DR again the characters aren't nearly as quirky as them but i saw some pretty random looking people even saw a brother for once even if they kinda made him stereotypical :/ you can't win with japan lol
Jul 12, 2017 6:17 PM
Jul 2017
The closest thing I've seen to this is Danganronpa, so I was expecting... er... something worse. But this was still very entertaining, for the suspense.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Jul 12, 2017 6:18 PM
Apr 2017
Wow... I like this school!

What happened to the students at the end of the episode indirectly represents equality...

I like the MC, Ayanokouji...

On the other hand, I think Kushida is annoying... To be friend with all? Somehow, she was forcing Horikita to be her friend because she was worried that Horikita will be lonely...Well, in the first place, it's her choice to be alone...
haniyeszerJul 12, 2017 6:28 PM
Jul 12, 2017 6:38 PM
Jan 2009
So, I suppose point starved students will start to suck up those with money to spare (including other class students obviously).

Could be a good story about the power of money and modern society egalitarian fallacies, that said the plot twist was painfully evident.
Jul 12, 2017 6:42 PM

Jan 2016
Okay It's really an interesting anime for me and I haven't read the LN yet so I can't compare anything between the LN and the anime. I think it really has a beautiful art and I love it.

But I'm still confused about some things.
- "For a certain reason, Kiyotaka was careless on his entrance examination" can somebody tell me what happen? There's no explanation yet (maybe at episode 2 or so).
- So the entire class get 0 allowance? or just the student who had a bad behavior?

The school kinda remind me of Kibougamine from Danganronpa though lol
Jul 12, 2017 7:11 PM
Jul 2016
The last scene where the teacher said they weren't getting any more points that was so entertaining to watch. It was really good.
Jul 12, 2017 7:19 PM

Jul 2013
I'm a little confused about the comedy/romance tags though; the end of the episode seemed pretty dark. This could easily turn into a psychological/thriller/drama anime, and I'd probably prefer it that way.
Jul 12, 2017 7:23 PM

Apr 2017
Wow, the different personality of the main character is actually a fresh breath for me this season. I feel like this season (like every other season lol) has too many average MCs and it's super tiring watching the same thing happen over and over again. Some may see the MC as a character with no personality (aka boring) but I sorta like characters who don't become red like a tomato after seeing boobs in a new school. It's a change, but I'm hoping great things from this anime. I realize that it's pretty generic on it's own right now, but it has more potential to get better, compared to a lot of the other anime I've seen this season. That's what I think, at least.
Jul 12, 2017 7:52 PM

Jun 2013
Feels like there's some government conspiracy social experiment going on.
Jul 12, 2017 7:57 PM

Jun 2016
I enjoy the first episode this pretty good. I like the main characters and the Heroine so far. Lets see how this will turn out. Things are getting Interesting.

Jul 12, 2017 8:28 PM
Jan 2017
The episode takes a bit too long to set up its premise and characters but the twist in the ending is where the series really picks up. At least the protagonist wasn't shocked by it. Maybe he saw it coming? Anyway, Kiyotaka, our protagonist, is kind of a mixed bag: he doesn't dwell on anything and has no personal goals, but at least he is aware of that and is willing to make a change. Suzune, on the other hand, comes off as haughty and arrogant and is not afraid of hurt other people's feelings if it helps her get her point across. Kikyo is optimistic, friendly and looks like she will be a positive influence on her class. These two look like they're set up to be foils to Kiyotaka. So far, the series is off to a good start.
Jul 12, 2017 8:34 PM

Aug 2014
Collective punishment is pretty bullshit. They deserve to be in the worst class for not even knowing how the school works. Also there are some old ass students in that school.

I get that it's the MC's character, but that VA work was way too fucking boring.
Sieg Zeon!
Jul 12, 2017 8:52 PM

May 2012
Okocha119 said:
Spending an entire episode building up to a reveal that should have been more than obvious to anyone with a brain seems a bit much. Seriously, I have a really hard time believing that every single one of these supposedly smart kids automatically assumed that they'd be getting a 100.000 every month from now on without any conditions, especially when they were explicitly told that the money they originally got was a reward for passing the entrance exam.

But apart from that it has definitely been an intriguing start. The setting seems promissing and I've already grown a little attached to our two main characters. Liking them both a lot.

I would not be so sure about that, most people don't really use their brains and the idea of instant reward is usually more apealling than the idea saving money. Most people I know would have spent everything in the first week with expesinve shit, and then gone in debt while assuming they would get more free money next month.

Also they're teenagers who probably never had to pay a bill. And being good at school doesn't mean having real world skills, they don't even get basic stuff as giving your seat for old people. To me that first scene was just to show how lacking of common sense most of them are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Men Are From Mars, 
Women Are From Venus 
and Gays Are From Uranus

Jul 12, 2017 8:52 PM

Jan 2013
i'll be one of the very few and say i dig MC's extremely deadpan IDGAF demeanor

and totally saw the catch coming as soon as they gave the points out
Jul 12, 2017 8:53 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty good so far, I am liking this a lot.

I had a feeling that the laziness of the students would come back to haunt them.

At least a few of them were smart enough to know better.

Jul 12, 2017 9:02 PM

May 2012
QuattroVaginas said:
Collective punishment is pretty bullshit. They deserve to be in the worst class for not even knowing how the school works. Also there are some old ass students in that school.

I get that it's the MC's character, but that VA work was way too fucking boring.

I think it collective punishment is funny as it affects "innocent people", who will eventually get angry and blame the idiots (with reason). Watching the consequences will be quite amusing.

Men Are From Mars, 
Women Are From Venus 
and Gays Are From Uranus

Jul 12, 2017 9:16 PM

Oct 2012
This could be really good. The beginning bus scene really set the mood and with that twist at the end things are bound to get worse. Now that we've gotten a glimpse at how awful most of these students are I'm curious to see if they can pull it together for the good of the class. Expect tears from Kushida n the next episode or so...
Jul 12, 2017 9:25 PM

Apr 2011
"You're trash"

dayum that escalated quickly
Jul 12, 2017 9:54 PM

Aug 2011
Hate the MCs voice. I know they're trying go for generic cynical, lazy genius Hachiman clone but his voice is terrible; it made the episode more boring than it should have been. He did so well as Azumi in Tsukigakirei, not sure what happened here.

Still, other than that I'm super interested in this one, probably gonna be my favorite of the season.

Jul 12, 2017 10:11 PM

Nov 2016
Well, I had some doubt about watching this anime, but it went surprisingly pretty. This one have much of a potential. Hope it keeps it up.

But that stupid MC's voice actor who totally set me off at Tsuki ga Kirei as well (I don't have even the urge to complete that anime because of the entire stupid cast voices a side from nothing was pulling my attention. It was really the moment I understand how Voice actors have a very significant role in anime though)
However he isn't that ultimately bad here, also the rest of cast cover up for the show someway.
Jul 12, 2017 10:43 PM

Jun 2013
Very impressive first episode!
I can see this being one of the dark horses for this season!
Jul 12, 2017 11:34 PM
Oct 2010
So can any of the source readers tell us if this lives up to the tags it currently has? Because other than him saying "I blew it" there weren't any jokes here. Also the bitchy girl could have warned the class about what was going to happen as well if she is actually family with the council president, but judging by her comments on the academy she seems to have been left in the dark as well.

Additionally I was wondering why the MCs balance didn't go up but it dawned on me that the teacher was referring to the entire class with her rant (I felt kinda stupid here). That actually sets up a pretty interesting scenario of power players in the classroom with some students essentially controlling others directly through their financial situations. It also has the potential to cause a lot of animosity for weaker/misbehaving students.

It's also interesting that the MC noticed the camera outside of the convenience store, so it's quite likely that your non classroom activities count toward your worth as well, but I'm not sure about that. I suppose the academy produces results because it forces the best students to pull up those "beneath" them to their level. Overall, pretty interesting show, could be good, could be bad, but it's interesting at least.

The only thing that bothered me was no one asked about the merit system when the teacher SPECIFICALLY highlighted it when she explaining the point system. I find that to be extremely odd, but at the same time she's right for calling them out on not trying to find out how it works and why it was so easy. Couldn't they have at least tried to get information from the older students? (Although it seems like the older students weren't willing to give that up anyway.. maybe a school rule?)
Jul 12, 2017 11:40 PM

Oct 2014
The concept seems really disappointing, as the characters. I hope it will be better in the next episodes, but the only thing I can compliment now is Lershe's visuals and sound
Jul 12, 2017 11:56 PM

Jan 2017
I feel way to similar to the 2 mc in back of class...
Jul 13, 2017 12:07 AM

Dec 2015
I didn't even notice the voice actor of the main was a beginner. Totally fitting the personality and the age and looks (char design) - the voice and the way he used it. He felt like a pro.

On the other hand ... if you want to watch an anime where it is easy to notice that the voice actor (or actress in this case) is a beginner: Try Nana Maru San Batsu (also airing this season). There the voice of the girl made me drop the anime after episode 1 even though the setting seemed okay enough to watch more.

But with that annoying voice + too much other better stuff airing I decided to drop early. Really easy to notice that the voice actress was new and one of the worse new ones and the studio probably did not have enough money and needed to hire the worst and cheapest.
Jul 13, 2017 12:12 AM

Nov 2016
of course if its a school anime you have to have the snobby arrogant students should of kicked there ass
Jul 13, 2017 12:56 AM

Feb 2015
A lot can be said by the first episode of an anime. I really enjoyed it; the setting is nice, the characters are likable. Though it does give off a similar atmosphere and vibe as a lot of other previously aired anime, I can't tell yet if that'll be the downfall of the show. The only real complaint I have about this episode is its predictability. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to the next episode. This could really easily become my favourite anime this season.
4/5
Jul 13, 2017 1:17 AM

Mar 2017
It's the seasonal anime that impressed me the most, it recalls Oregairu (for the three main characters) or Hyouka (for the main character's indolence), I hope the similarities will end here and the plot will become less predictable (I really like the premises), if so it'll definitely become a favourite. I'm looking forward the next episode.
Jul 13, 2017 1:34 AM

May 2016
Seems a little Oregairu,I like it, Will be one of the best of the season if it continues like this...
『  』
Jul 13, 2017 1:54 AM

Apr 2017
GD1551 said:
So can any of the source readers tell us if this lives up to the tags it currently has? Because other than him saying "I blew it" there weren't any jokes here. Also the bitchy girl could have warned the class about what was going to happen as well if she is actually family with the council president, but judging by her comments on the academy she seems to have been left in the dark as well.

Additionally I was wondering why the MCs balance didn't go up but it dawned on me that the teacher was referring to the entire class with her rant (I felt kinda stupid here). That actually sets up a pretty interesting scenario of power players in the classroom with some students essentially controlling others directly through their financial situations. It also has the potential to cause a lot of animosity for weaker/misbehaving students.

It's also interesting that the MC noticed the camera outside of the convenience store, so it's quite likely that your non classroom activities count toward your worth as well, but I'm not sure about that. I suppose the academy produces results because it forces the best students to pull up those "beneath" them to their level. Overall, pretty interesting show, could be good, could be bad, but it's interesting at least.

The only thing that bothered me was no one asked about the merit system when the teacher SPECIFICALLY highlighted it when she explaining the point system. I find that to be extremely odd, but at the same time she's right for calling them out on not trying to find out how it works and why it was so easy. Couldn't they have at least tried to get information from the older students? (Although it seems like the older students weren't willing to give that up anyway.. maybe a school rule?)

This is unfortunately too early to call. At least from a non-Japanese reader, who relies on translations of LN and manga. So far the romance and comedy is not too exploited. I mean the comedy maybe, but I do not laugh on people messing up or stupidly overreacting. But it is easy to guess there will be some romantic plot going on, similar to Oregairu.
Jul 13, 2017 2:34 AM

Dec 2013
Seems a good start. Dumb teenagers mindlessly blowing away money without a care in the world and getting into debt. Sounds about right. With no rich dads to help them out and rules that disallow them to extort other students for their credit, this is gonna be a fun psychological game to watch. I expect the camera observation was meant to say that the academy has eyes everywhere, so they can't go about doing stupid illegal stuff to steal points and what-not. Can't wait till the dumber kids get screwed over and get desperate.

Surprised that nobody thought to ask just how much their monthly stipend was, and just assumed that they'd be getting a big load of credit every month. Specially when the teacher said that the amount they got up front was for their entry into the academy.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 13, 2017 3:16 AM
Dec 2016
Watched it, didn't really leave much of an impression on me other than the fact that the main protag and the two female acquaintances remind me of the service club from Yahari ore no seishun love come wa machigatteiru. But it was just the first episode, so it can get better... I hope.
Jul 13, 2017 3:24 AM

Mar 2014
Interesting episode even though I dislike oregairu. MC was too relatable. The art is really pretty and I like the vibrant colours.
Jul 13, 2017 4:08 AM

Jan 2016
People said this was pretty close to Oregairu, but I can already see distinct differences.

The deadpan MC is hilarious. Unlike Hatchiman, this guy literally has no emotion at all (at first I thought it was a bad voice actor, then I realised it was intentional). When he introduced himself in class, I died laughing, props to the voice actor.

I'd say that both Oregairu and this anime are just both... realistic, in terms of social interactions than other anime are and that's a reason why they are alike. However, the plot from this anime can go anywhere from here, and I'm really interested to see the implications of being in Class 1-D, and whether or not character development will occur.
I wonder what the MC did to deserve no money? Or did the teacher collectively decide the class gets no money? This series tends to have a lot of social messages...
Jul 13, 2017 4:11 AM
Jul 2017
Animation wise not really good however story wise this looks interesting. MC kinda remind me of 8man
Jul 13, 2017 4:17 AM

Nov 2011
The better anime of this season.

Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2017

211 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2017

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2017

171 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2017

235 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 11, 3:10 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2017

335 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 9, 10:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.