Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler -
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 28, 2017 3:57 PM

Apr 2017
His description - Yumeko’s classmate. Cowardly and poor, he quickly ends up being treated as Maeri’s livestock, and is called ‘Pochi’ (a common name for a dog). However, he is saved from this predicament by Yumeko.

Seriously? Am I the only one that's tired of the pathetic male trope in anime? Just reading a description like this is more than enough to put me off a show because from past experiences these are whiny, annoying characters that constantly get in the way and will most likely have a lot of girls, for kami-sama reasons, after him.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2017 4:04 PM

Sep 2016
he is the most pathetic and worst character in the series. his role is basically just for representing our perspective
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jun 28, 2017 4:09 PM

Apr 2017
GangsterCat said:
he is the most pathetic and worst character in the series. his role is basically just for representing our perspective
The beta insert thing really needs to die out and a main character that's a hindrance and annoyance to a series just already drops the score, and personally makes it difficult to watch
Jun 28, 2017 4:24 PM

Feb 2012
He sucks and besides he isnt the actual MC, Yumeko is. Hes her sidekick and basically irrelevant.
Jun 28, 2017 4:31 PM

Sep 2012
You know a show is instant garbage when you have trouble finding the fucking main character on the cover image.
Jun 28, 2017 10:37 PM

Mar 2013

Normally I would agree with your comment but in this series cause like everyone else said he isn't important at all. he is more of a side character then a main their arcs where he doesn't appear in. Yumeko is the proteg Mary the female lead and the guy doesn't cause for a hindrance for the GL subtext of the series.
Jun 28, 2017 10:40 PM

Aug 2016
huh? He's just an ordinary man who's not good at gambling, that's all. Suzui is like a character for the viewers with whom they can associate themselves. Yeah, mb a little bit pathetic but in the last chapters he's pretty cool...
Jun 29, 2017 2:04 AM

Mar 2013
zanquen said:
huh? He's just an ordinary man who's not good at gambling, that's all. Suzui is like a character for the viewers with whom they can associate themselves. Yeah, mb a little bit pathetic but in the last chapters he's pretty cool...

Just a bit thought it's more about Mary being in the spotlight.
Jun 29, 2017 2:59 AM

Apr 2017
zanquen said:
"Suzui is like a character for the viewers with whom they can associate themselves" that's exactly the issue...pathetic beta inserts. If you feel the need to insert yourself into this character, you're a bigger loser than him. What do these producers think of the fans if he feels that he is the type of person you should relate to?
Jun 29, 2017 3:08 AM

Sep 2016
harshtruth said:
zanquen said:
"Suzui is like a character for the viewers with whom they can associate themselves" that's exactly the issue...pathetic beta inserts. If you feel the need to insert yourself into this character, you're a bigger loser than him. What do these producers think of the fans if he feels that he is the type of person you should relate to?
he is more like observer to the whole thing
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jun 29, 2017 3:18 AM
Mar 2017
Yeah. This John Watson-type narrative is kinda unnecessary. The author try to make Yameko mysterious and enigmatic with her erratic way of thinking by presenting it in Ryouta's perspective.

But this male character is nott even close to Watson. Watson was more than just a narrative device. He developed and have had few key moments in the the saga of Sherlock Holmes.

This Ryouta guy is just like a commentator of a football match. Being there just to comment.
Jun 29, 2017 3:37 AM

Aug 2016
harshtruth said:

this ↓
GangsterCat said:
he is more like observer to the whole thing

something like that xD Not exactly the same person but a character who observes that shit :D
VeremudJun 29, 2017 3:45 AM
Jun 29, 2017 3:52 AM

Mar 2013
I still think that he was a editor decision to make it easier for readers to understand some games as every other character is a pro at it and don't need any further explanations on games.
Jun 29, 2017 8:18 AM
Jun 2017
who cares about him anyway .the story is great i have read all the translated chapters until now in 2 days and believe me it will be great
and if you can't accept that not all male should be op or shown as great characters it is your problem then.
Since Koe no Katachi has a very high rating her on MAL, rated by nearly 100k users currently should we try to upvote the movie on the worlds largest database related to films? This movie only has around 4,5k votes at the moment. Let's all vote and make the rating higher?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5323662/

if we make it more popular it will raise more money so it will support the anime industry and make anime more popular between all the peoples since IMDb is not an anime site
so more quality anime will be made
Jun 29, 2017 10:11 PM

Feb 2015
Would this show be better if they tried to give the main character more of a personality or make Yumeko the main character? Yeah probably. I don't disagree with you actually I just don't think it's a big enough problem that it ruins the show or anything. If what I hear on this thread is true than he's not going to play a super prominent role any way so whatever.
Jun 29, 2017 10:43 PM

Mar 2013
Lohuydahutt said:
Would this show be better if they tried to give the main character more of a personality or make Yumeko the main character? Yeah probably. I don't disagree with you actually I just don't think it's a big enough problem that it ruins the show or anything. If what I hear on this thread is true than he's not going to play a super prominent role any way so whatever.

Yumeko is the main character she is the protag of this series lol
Jun 29, 2017 10:46 PM

Feb 2015
Gala_Lion said:
Lohuydahutt said:

but it's mostly from his perspective right? What I meant by making Yumeko the main character was like, making this guy not be a character at all and just have the entire show from her perspective. But yeah, fair point, I haven't read the manga (yet) so this is purely conjecture.
Jun 29, 2017 10:54 PM

Jan 2014
yes, I feel the same way

Will most likely drop this show
Jun 29, 2017 11:52 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned~~
Jun 30, 2017 12:36 AM

Mar 2013
Lohuydahutt said:
Gala_Lion said:

but it's mostly from his perspective right? What I meant by making Yumeko the main character was like, making this guy not be a character at all and just have the entire show from her perspective. But yeah, fair point, I haven't read the manga (yet) so this is purely conjecture.

He is like the commentary of lets see a live poker game or another game that needs commentary because you won't hear Yumeko's thoughts but will only know how she thinks and feels when she starts to talk.
Jun 30, 2017 12:49 PM
Oct 2010
I think most people got it, but the male character is not the MC, there are times he is non existent. He's not even a beta male and thinks the most rationally out of all the characters. The first few episodes will give some insight to the character, but someone said it best when they stated that he's an outsiders PoV.
Jun 30, 2017 3:01 PM

Mar 2013
Anon1566 said:
Lohuydahutt said:

Ryouta Suzui holds 80% of point of view (POV) from show, besides having practically the whole perspective and internal monologues from show. Suzui is a well rounded character where we can see and hear a range of emotions and thoughts by means of internal monologues, which in turn makes him more realistic and relatable even if you don't like him.

Yumeko is a cool and fun girl with a one track mind, in other words, without any internal monologues (you won't hear or see Yumeko's thoughts and emotions by means of internal monologues, you will only know how she thinks and feels when she starts to talk), with little perspective and POV from show too.

She's canonically tsundere for Yumeko Mary is also a character with a one track mind, in other words, without internal monologues (you won't hear or see Mary's thoughts and emotions by means of internal monologues, you will only know how she thinks and feels when she starts to talk), with little perspective and POV from show too.

*fixed* anon stop trowing your hate on Mary fanserive character? really dude we both must have read a different manga then. or else you would know her importance in the story.

their is a reason she got her own spin off series besides her important role in the main series.if you would call one character from the series a fanservice one then it would be Midari. as the author only included in the latest arc because of the popularity she got.

on another note to something you said I understand that you love Suizu and want him to be with one of the girls then the 2 girls with each other. but lets be real here besides that one early scene with was if you ask from embarrassment not any tsun or dere moment when Suzui is involved Mary only gets tsundere when Yumeko is flirting with her. and if you say she calls him baka well she calls everyone baka that doesn't do what she says so that's no special treatment to the guy.
Gala_LionJun 30, 2017 3:19 PM
Jul 1, 2017 12:31 AM

Sep 2013
As stated before, he's pretty much an observer who is barely featured at all. He's practically there to help the readers/viewers understand the rules, importance and the stakes of the game. Personally, him being a quiet commentator is a lot better than having an announcer doing play by play with a microphone/headset.

Once that's established, he keeps to himself and makes small comments. Calling him "whiny", "annoying" or "screw up" is a bit unfair because you're just judging him by his description. That just means you automatically painted a picture in your head on who he is. The guy just keeps to himself and observes. He's kinda like a quiet cheerleader on the sidelines.

Also...

It's fine if you don't like him or that character type. I'm not here to convince you to like him. All I ask is to give this series (or any series) a chance without jumping to conclusions simply because you don't like someone. Especially if that certain person is not even a secondary protagonist.

TehSnawnJul 1, 2017 12:35 AM

Jul 1, 2017 1:03 AM

Mar 2014
Tbh I am incredibly tired of emotional abuse being passed off as funny or justified as long as it's done by a female to a male character. That being said, I'm going to watch the show because it seems interesting and will see how this goes.
Jul 1, 2017 5:27 AM

Sep 2015
Jesus christ, this thread reminded me to keep off MAL threads. Absolute trash community lmao
たった1秒だって俯かない
Jul 1, 2017 9:53 AM

May 2009
He exist to make yurifags butthurt. Delicious tears.
Jul 1, 2017 11:01 AM

Jul 2015
Not sure if I should watch this anime or not

I don't want to see the mc treated like trash by the girls...
Jul 1, 2017 11:06 AM

Sep 2009
He's how mangaka sees the audience :3
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jul 1, 2017 1:45 PM

May 2009
tragedydesu said:

Don't worry, Yumeko is the MC, not him.
MortalMelancholy said:

If you mean Shitsurakuen then you must know that he is only doing art here, writer is different.

Anyway, what's deal with Shitsurakuen? I heard there was some trolling at the end?
Jul 1, 2017 1:49 PM

Sep 2009
bastek66 said:
tragedydesu said:

Don't worry, Yumeko is the MC, not him.
MortalMelancholy said:

If you mean Shitsurakuen then you must know that he is only doing art here, writer is different.

Anyway, what's deal with Shitsurakuen? I heard there was some trolling at the end?

Oh right, I meant author. And I dunno, I haven't read much of the manga.
Jul 1, 2017 1:56 PM

Sep 2012
Guys for the last time MC is not that guy. He is just there for some plot points.
Jul 1, 2017 5:49 PM

Sep 2009
He's kind of an annoying commentary character. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Curious.
MortalMelancholyJul 1, 2017 5:57 PM
Jul 1, 2017 7:11 PM
Oct 2010
MortalMelancholy said:
He's kind of an annoying commentary character. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Curious.

Yes, despite being a commentary figure (this spoiler tagged thing isn't a spoiler but people are a bit anal about those so I'll tag anyway)

Jul 2, 2017 12:50 PM

Mar 2014
He came across as a simple observer character for the viewer. Also why are we blaming him for being normal in a setting where everyone else is batsh#t crazy?

Which isn't really true because the class seemed to be full of "unfortunate" weak characters
Jul 2, 2017 1:30 PM
Jun 2016
I'm so sorry that every anime doesn't make a cool and completely brave dude. I swear, you guys make it sound like this is the sort of thing that is most common or pretty much only happens in anime when that is both exaggerating and untrue. Not to mention that the MC really isn't THAT whiny (compared to someone like Yukiteru especially), and he's pretty much one of the most normal or rational characters that does get focus. Most of the other characters that are pretty rational or normal are mostly side characters. It'd be a bit more boring if literally every character focused is a sociopath or psycho. Seriously.

Red_Keys said:
You know a show is instant garbage when you have trouble finding the fucking main character on the cover image.

And this is just a stupid comment, as it clearly shows even on the covers who the main character/s and focus of the show is/are.

LauraBirdie said:
He came across as a simple observer character for the viewer. Also why are we blaming him for being normal in a setting where everyone else is batsh#t crazy?

Which isn't really true because the class seemed to be full of "unfortunate" weak characters

This is also true. They're just making it such a huge-ass deal since it happens to a major character that is male again, despite the fact that this happens a bunch of times to major or main female characters in various anime, too.
Jul 2, 2017 1:48 PM

Dec 2016
Ehhh just another forgettable generic-looking male maggot to put up with. As long as his relevance will be minuscule to inexistent, i'll tolerate his presence...somehow.

Ideas for character desing ran out or was it intentional?
Jul 2, 2017 1:50 PM

Apr 2017
4Dissinity said:
I'm so sorry that every anime doesn't make a cool and completely brave dude. I swear, you guys make it sound like this is the sort of thing that is most common or pretty much only happens in anime when that is both exaggerating and untrue. Not to mention that the MC really isn't THAT whiny (compared to someone like Yukiteru especially), and he's pretty much one of the most normal or rational characters that does get focus. Most of the other characters that are pretty rational or normal are mostly side characters. It'd be a bit more boring if literally every character focused is a sociopath or psycho. Seriously.

Red_Keys said:

And this is just a stupid comment, as it clearly shows even on the covers who the main character/s and focus of the show is/are.

LauraBirdie said:

This is also true. They're just making it such a huge-ass deal since it happens to a major character that is male again, despite the fact that this happens a bunch of times to major or main female characters in various anime, too.
Because from a real world standpoint, males are stronger than females so if you see a pathetic male, it's kinda off putting. This is also not an uncommon trope since most anime have a pathetic male so that people can self-insert and what's the problem with having 2 psychos, both mains, one male and one female? Seems better than having a repeat of Mirai Nikki where the female gets shit done and the male acts like a bitch
harshtruthJul 2, 2017 1:55 PM
Jul 2, 2017 1:52 PM

Mar 2013
NyronGTR said:
Ehhh just another forgettable generic-looking male maggot to put up with. As long as his relevance will be minuscule to inexistent, i'll tolerate his presence...somehow.

intentional. he is the character type that is representing us viewers in the series. he is a pov while Yumeko is the protag he is only a MC on paper.
Jul 2, 2017 1:56 PM

Dec 2016
Gala_Lion said:
NyronGTR said:

intentional. he is the character type that is representing us viewers in the series. he is a pov while Yumeko is the protag he is only a MC on paper.

Good...Very good.
Jul 2, 2017 2:30 PM

Jun 2015

Good golly. The MC is Yumeko, I haven't even read the manga and this much is obvious. The only reason anyone is upset by the male "MC" is because we're too used to it being a male MC surrounded by walking, female tropes. In this anime, it just so happens the females are the MCs and he's the side character *shrug*

I don't see the issue, unless it's simply not your thing, in which case no need to watch the show lol.
Jul 3, 2017 1:58 AM

Jul 2015
drgy55 said:

Good golly. The MC is Yumeko, I haven't even read the manga and this much is obvious. The only reason anyone is upset by the male "MC" is because we're too used to it being a male MC surrounded by walking, female tropes. In this anime, it just so happens the females are the MCs and he's the side character *shrug*

I don't see the issue, unless it's simply not your thing, in which case no need to watch the show lol.

XDD

I love that gif. Nice.

But yeah, I agree. Yumeko's the main character (sure, you can say that Suzui is A main character, but Yumeko's the one with the most focus and spotlight out of all, so it's her as the real one, if that makes sense) and it's really not that big of a deal to have someone like Suzui as a major focus. Even though this is a common trope, I'm fine with this compared to a bunch of other common shonen tropes, tbh.

I suppose it does make it look "harem-like" to them if what you said is true, drgy55, but if that's the case, then they are sorely mistaken. This series is not a harem at all and is nowhere near it.
AmyTwoJul 3, 2017 2:04 AM
Jul 3, 2017 2:06 AM

Jun 2008
Suzui = Furuichi from Beelzebub

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jul 3, 2017 5:52 AM

Jan 2013
Yes he's a coward but he's not a normal coward. Please give this anime until Suzui/Yumeko teams up episode and you will be surprise by him.
Jul 3, 2017 8:38 AM
May 2011
Hmmmm i think the problem is that the majority of the episode was in the point of view of the Male protag....

Why do manga/anime HAVE to choose between two extremes... there were literally a class with 20 other people that were being manipulated for the vote but the male protag is the class rep, dog that is flat broke, in debt that is portrayed as a loser FROM the start. first 3 minutes our point of view for the remainder of the season is going to be from this guy.... we're not asking him to be shiro from no game no life but fuck why can't the viewers just get a "normal" perspective... unless youre trying to tell me that the class "pet" is our version of normal :V :V : V
Jul 3, 2017 8:51 AM

Jun 2015
AmyTwo said:
drgy55 said:

XDD

I love that gif. Nice.

But yeah, I agree. Yumeko's the main character (sure, you can say that Suzui is A main character, but Yumeko's the one with the most focus and spotlight out of all, so it's her as the real one, if that makes sense) and it's really not that big of a deal to have someone like Suzui as a major focus. Even though this is a common trope, I'm fine with this compared to a bunch of other common shonen tropes, tbh.

I suppose it does make it look "harem-like" to them if what you said is true, drgy55, but if that's the case, then they are sorely mistaken. This series is not a harem at all and is nowhere near it.

What can I say, Monogatari is very gif-able. Whether you're a fan or not, you can't deny there's a GIF for every situation in that show xD

I'll admit it might seem "harem-like" from the POV of Suzui as the MC; I certainly wasn't attempting to blame anyone for thinking so. But it does seem quite obvious from the way it was presented that the main focus will be on Yumeko and her rival (i.e. shounen stereotype "rival") Saotome.

I expect Suzui will end up playing a major role as Yumeko's assistant and they will likely benefit each other in a lot of ways, but I don't see it being a harem situation (apart from maybe Yumeko having a harem full of both guys and gals lol).
Jul 3, 2017 11:01 AM
Apr 2016
b1051211 said:
Hmmmm i think the problem is that the majority of the episode was in the point of view of the Male protag....

Why do manga/anime HAVE to choose between two extremes... there were literally a class with 20 other people that were being manipulated for the vote but the male protag is the class rep, dog that is flat broke, in debt that is portrayed as a loser FROM the start. first 3 minutes our point of view for the remainder of the season is going to be from this guy.... we're not asking him to be shiro from no game no life but fuck why can't the viewers just get a "normal" perspective... unless youre trying to tell me that the class "pet" is our version of normal :V :V : V

Um... this is normal. A normal character wouldn't be a master gambler like any of the others who are good at it and own pets/slaves, and they will be easily overwhelmed and taken advantage of because of that, like this guy, thus easily becoming a pet/slave and thus being deemed as a loser. A normal gambler isn't going to treat how any of these people who are good at it and their ridiculous behavior as normal. They are definitely going to be weird-ed out or even freaked out. If they were as good as gamblers as they are and/or have treated how they are acting as normal, then they themselves are definitely not normal. This is a psychological series for a reason, guys...
Jul 3, 2017 1:50 PM

Mar 2014
harshtruth said:
4Dissinity said:

Because from a real world standpoint, males are stronger than females so if you see a pathetic male, it's kinda off putting. This is also not an uncommon trope since most anime have a pathetic male so that people can self-insert and what's the problem with having 2 psychos, both mains, one male and one female? Seems better than having a repeat of Mirai Nikki where the female gets shit done and the male acts like a bitch

I don't mean to derail this thread but that statement in itself is kind of off-putting to me.

This ISN'T a real world scenario, it's a setting in which people who are batsh#t crazy gamble with each other. Obviously, in such a setting, there are the strong and there are the weak. The dude is one of the weakest, but considering his small observer role, it's not a big deal, and certainly not a reason to drop it. If you're watching, or NOT watching this because of him, you're doing something wrong, because this is about the girls.
Jul 3, 2017 3:06 PM

Mar 2016
I'm at a loss here. What's so pathetic or bad about him ? He lost and has to abide by the consequences cause he has nothing to pay . People lose everyday in gambling and deal probably with much worse consequences that can lead to death lol. Am I missing something here people ? Also you'll need the pov of someone who explains cause not everyone is a gambler or is acquainted with the practice. I for one know nothing cause I never thought of practicing it especially that it's a sinful act which this anime greatly shows why it is sinful as it is a self indulgent act that brings out our lusts, greed, desires, and compelling madness and more importantly harms us like what happened to the man when he lost at the beginning, but that topic I'll leave for another thread.
Shishou_23Jul 3, 2017 3:11 PM
Jul 3, 2017 10:05 PM

Jan 2013

This story won't work if you tell it from the perspective of Jabami or any of the other crazy girls. In fact, the crazyness feels less crazy if you only have crazy people.

His normality, sense of duty, and sense of pressure are a REALLY important grounding stone that makes you feel the pressure of the gambles and make you understand more of the world the author builds.

Red_Keys said:

He's not the main character idiot. Why do you even think that? Because he's male and the first character who speaks? The story's not even told completely through his perspective since you didn't know he was the one giving out the orders till the end of the freakin episode.

Jabami is literally on the cover of the first volume.

@b1051211
nikey__k said:
Jesus christ, this thread reminded me to keep off MAL threads. Absolute trash community lmao

Too many stupid people.
Jul 3, 2017 10:08 PM

Feb 2015
nikey__k said:

Right? Lol. I swear, these people reach heights of autism I previously thought impossible. And they never stop one-upping themselves in what mentally deficient things they'll say. It's easy to see why the community gets a bad rap (and their toxicity spills over into the general anime community, which also isn't good).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2017

149 by FedeMetal »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2017

119 by FedeMetal »»
Yesterday, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2017

182 by FedeMetal »»
Yesterday, 8:03 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

183 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 16, 11:11 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2017

215 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 16, 10:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.