Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think your initial intention/reason on watching certain anime influence your enjoyment, and judgement/view of it?

New
Jun 27, 2017 5:45 PM

Jan 2010
By initial intention I mean the reason you watch an anime like for example:

You watch Madoka Magica because:
1. It's popular and you're genuinely curious
2. The fandom is annoying and you want to find out why so popular why so much praise, you want to prove how un-perfect and no masterpiece it actually is
3. It fit your preferences
4. It's just happen to be there in your dash/panel/screen
5. Some friend wouldn't stop talking about it you just had to watch it to shut them up
6. It's so chibi and moe looking it couldn't be that dark
7. You've been waiting for this forever and you couldn't be more hyped to finally watch the adaptation of it
8. The synopsis/genre/seiyuu/studio interest you (the normal reason)

DON'T ASK WHY I CHOOSE MADOKA AS EXAMPLE. It's the first thing that come to mind. I don't know if the anime is original or an adaptation either.

Anyway, my reason for watching madoka is the #1. Usually not my cup of tea and almost got turned off the moment I saw the poster. But I decided to just watch it with genuine curiosity and ended up liking it.

I think your reason/intention on watching something will heavily influence your view and enjoyment of it.
Like, I know some people watch a show with the intention of hating it.

Have you ever experienced any of the above reasons?

My initial reason for watching SnK S1 is also because of it's popularity, but then it become my fav anime. The S2 however is the #7 XD

EDIT 2020/4/1:
More example:

- Owari no Seraph
Someone said it's kinda gay, then I watched the OP, and it indeed sounded like a bait, so I got hooked.
I ended up being indifferent to the featured bait gay ship, and instead got hooked into other character (Guren).

- Made in Abyss
Initially because of the OST "Tomorrow". A friend recommended it to me but I didn't want to watch it because of the MC are a bunch of kids and also the poster is a furry character. But then he showed me youtube vid of "Tomorrow" and I got interested. Turned out to be one of the best anime I watched that year.

- Tsukiuta The Animation
Someone recommended it to me because Hajime and Shun is pretty similar to Guren and Shinya. When I checked it's idol anime, I ignored it.
Later I decided to watch it and ended up loving the series instead of just Hajime and Shun. I even ended up watching the live stage. It's also my gate to the idol genre.
CrimsonMidnightApr 1, 2020 1:59 AM
Jun 27, 2017 6:03 PM

Oct 2016
Being honest, the first thing to drag my attention in almost everything i watch is the looks. Aka, if i like its art/cover i'll check the sypnosys/genres/stuff and decide if i wanna watch it or not.

I barely feel the "i've been waiting for this forever" feeling, and my friends won't recomend me anything because they're what most people would call "casuals".

So yeah, that's it. If it fits my preferences (and looks good enough) i'll try it out.

Yet, none of the above affect my enjoyment. There's no hype or "i wanted it to be like this" on my mind.
AinosenseJun 27, 2017 6:08 PM
Jun 27, 2017 6:11 PM

Jun 2016
Funny enough this thread has a number of posts by people who didn't like Madoka because someone got them to watch it by telling them it was like one of their favorites.

I would say that prior expectations play a big role in what you think of any piece of media, since it largely dictates what you're looking for while you're experiencing it. In general people seem to be disappointed when they didn't get what they were looking for, even if there's something else in its place.

As an example I expected Code Geass (R1) to focus a lot more on politics and strategy than, say, Lelouch & co.'s school life or romantic subplots. It almost felt like the writers forgot what the plot was halfway through and filled the gaps with the silliest filler and fanservice they could think of. As such I wasn't all that fond of it in the end, even if it started off quite well.
Jun 27, 2017 6:17 PM

Nov 2016
1, 3, 7 and 8 are usually the reasons for me to pick up a show.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 27, 2017 6:22 PM

May 2016
You forgot those reasons:

9. I watched a some funny videos of it on youtube and got interested.

10. It received a sequel and that got me curious.

From your list though... The only options for me are 1 and 3 XD
HyperLJun 27, 2017 6:35 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 27, 2017 6:36 PM

Nov 2016
Well my first encounter is for sure genre and look/cover.
then score, synopsis and popularity. And I never read reviews because I hate them.
Also I never watch a show because it's just popular, it must fit my preferences.

But the thing that could really put pressure or influence me is when the anime has a very high score or popularity or outstanding synopsis for me. At such moment I raise my expectations and that highly likely to result in a disappointment. However lately, whenever I feel like that I delay watching the show until my expectations cool down a bit (except for sequels for sure). That would just let me extract full enjoyment from anime as I can.
PynchJun 28, 2017 12:38 AM
Jun 27, 2017 9:55 PM

Aug 2016
A variety of factors influence my decision to give an anime a shot and they are basically identical to why I'd read a book/see a movie/watch a live-action TV series.

1) I'm familiar with other works by the author/director/scriptwriter/producer/etc. and like those works. This has led me to want to see all of Kubrick's and Hitchcock's films, read all of Dostoevsky's works, and watch every anime series scripted by Gen Urobuchi.

2) It belongs to a genre in which I am interested. This is one of the reasons I decided to watch Psycho-Pass, for example. I love the cyberpunk genre and I love dystopian future settings. From William Gibson's Neuromancer and Idoru to Ridley Scott's Blade Runner to Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell, I'm a fan of cyberpunk, so that's why I wanted to give Psycho-Pass a shot.

3) It comes highly recommended. Either individuals I trust or after a few years (long enough for hype to die down) if people are still talking about a show, analyzing it, and finding stuff to praise more often than to condemn, I'll probably try to watch it. This is why I finally got around to watching Tatami Galaxy last summer.

There are other reasons I'll watch something but these are pretty much the top three.
Jun 27, 2017 10:19 PM

May 2012
Well, for the anime "Orange" I was expecting a nice little romance, but instead I got an anime where the primary focus was on preventing the MC from suiciding. There was very little romantic development at all. I think it would have been better as a story about friendship rather than romance. Because of my expectations i ended up giving the show a 6/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2017 12:30 AM

Feb 2013
yes i do keep track of reasons for watching anime and it seems anime i watch mostly because they are famous are the highest rated on average, while anime i pick with truly random means (some sites have a "random anime" feature) have the lowest

this is just the score which is measurable, not some vague stuff like enjoyment/judgement/view
Jun 28, 2017 12:35 AM

Aug 2008
HyperL said:
You forgot those reasons:

9. I watched a some funny videos of it on youtube and got interested.

10. It received a sequel and that got me curious.

From your list though... The only options for me are 1 and 3 XD

This. I actually watch Eromanga sensei because one scene somehow appear on my youtube recommendation. I also watch Himouto Umaru OP somehow appear in in my youtube recommendation. Youtube actually did decent job in recommending anime.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jun 28, 2017 12:53 AM

Jul 2012
Only really 3 applies to me and kind of 8 in the vaguest sense. Granted some reasons I tend to use are notably more shalllow ie. I saw one gif 3 years ago that I can't remember and added a series to ptw.
But for main the question, yes, your initial reasons for picking up a series will certainly influence your judgement of said series.
Whatever intention you have for starting a series is going to shape your opinion of the series unless the series is so far outside of your expectations that it completely catches you off guard. Using your example if a person goes into a series expecting to hate it (which nobody should unless they're a strange form of masochist) then obviously they're going to continue to hate it unless as I stated it goes against all of their expectations. If it is even slightly mediocre they're going to amplify that feeling with the initial negative intention "I knew it was going to be bad from the moment it became popular" basically.
Just like the opposite end of the spectrum if you hype up a series unless it falls drastically short of your expectations it's going to be either the same or amplified as much better in your mind.
Jun 28, 2017 12:57 AM

Jul 2013
In some cases, yes. Like, by example, when I watch a series because everyone hypes the shit out of it. Depending of how invested I am in the series and how the anime is executed, I will rate it higher or lower.
Jun 28, 2017 1:46 AM

Nov 2014
Generally 8, the normal reason. However I do let 1 happen too, sometimes it's good to watch what others are watching for discussion value.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 28, 2017 1:54 AM

Jul 2015
this "It fit your preferences"
and this "The synopsis/genre/seiyuu/studio interest you"

also i check characters personalities before watching any anime
and when i see a tsundere as main love interest i prepare myself psychologically to be triggered
(and i make sure that my 1/10 is ready too hehe)
Jun 28, 2017 2:10 AM

Nov 2011
It might influence my first impressions, but that's about it. Using your Madoka example, I went in with a healthy dose of skepticism, yet I still ended up liking a lot.

I expect to potentially like the majority of titles I try. True, I do sometimes try anime simply because they're important to the community or are historically important, but even if I'm personally skeptical I don't go in planning to hate what I watch. Planning on something like that seems incredibly stupid to me. As for how I end up watching an anime, it's generally due to recs, reputation, or through an extensive scouring of the database I did, all of which I compiled into list-form a month and a half ago and have been maintaining since.

My favorites are pretty varied in terms of my expectations going in. I figured I would like One Piece and Kimi ni Todoke, and I was skeptical about Cowboy Bebop and Katanagatari. The Banner of the Stars franchise is a bit of a special case; I had a deep gut feeling that I'd really like it prior to watching, which I found odd, but it actually ended up becoming my favorite series to date.

Anyway, my answer is that I think my reasons for watching an anime have little impact on how much I end up liking it.
TripleSRankJun 28, 2017 3:43 PM
Jun 28, 2017 2:23 AM

Apr 2017
>It's just 5deep9me

--30 char limit--

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jun 28, 2017 2:39 AM

Jan 2016
Well as much as I'd like to think my opinion/enjoyment of a series isn't influenced by its popularity or by someone's recommendation, I'm gonna have to agree that my inital intention DOES play a significant role.

If a series is highly praised you often end up thinking "why is it THIS popular", so you start thinking about it and examining it more closely, which means every little flaw becomes all the more glaring.
I've had several friends recommend to me some mediocre, but perfectly servicable, shows as "teh best thing evar!", which led to me having a really low opinion of those series at the end due to betrayed expectations. This is happening a lot with shows that have a lot of nostalgic value for people. They rate their childhood favorite/first anime 10/10, even if it is average at best, and you really don't wanna shit all over those and tell them they're wrong.

But those cases aside, most anime I choose based on my personal preferences end up being pretty decent, since I know what it is I'm looking for and they satisfy that need, and I'd say I keep a pretty open mind about series I just chose at random.
Jun 28, 2017 2:42 AM

Jun 2012
Simplicity is my being, so I like exploring things without much preparations. #4 and if the title or some episode title tip my curiosity are my most reason to start the show. Well recently, I only want my anime to have a fine minutia of thematic background and colors, fluid animation, flashy choreography with cute girls and explosion. Just the other day I had accidentally watched the last episode of love live on TV and since that episode fit most of my criteria, I think it's a good anime.
So I'd go with yes for your question.

Btw, I don't mean that I don't fucking care about how the story plays. It only matters a little in my overall judgement.
Apr 1, 2020 1:58 AM

Jan 2010
Should I make a new thread of the same topic or am I allowed to necro this thread?

More topics from this board

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by IpreferEcchi »»
8 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 4 hours ago

15 by LoveYourEyes »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

11 by Lucifrost »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - Yesterday

44 by elgatosaika »»
16 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Yesterday

53 by ColourWheel »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.