Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 27, 2017 2:12 PM
Aug 2016
I see everywhere people who watch anime, but they still say they don't like anime and anime is trash, and my question is: If they don't like anime, why they are still watching? Or if they love anime, why they still deny it?
I don't get what's the big deal.
If someone like/love anime, why that person still deny it, and say anime is trash, but still watch it? If they think is that much trash, why they are still watchng?
I really don't get it.
I asked this just out of pure curiosity, I don't want to start a fight.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 27, 2017 2:13 PM

Jan 2013
It wasn't trash then it became trash.

That's what over ten years of exposure does to you.

Watch Aikatsu, it'll save everyone.
Jun 27, 2017 2:13 PM

Jul 2013
One of three; or they are tsunderes, or they are trolls who go to anime related pages to cause a flamewar, or they are not anime fans, but just fans of certain animes.
Jun 27, 2017 2:14 PM

Sep 2016
Where have you seen this claims OP?

(It's probably a joke)
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Jun 27, 2017 2:18 PM
Jun 2015
What percentage of anime has to be excellent for anime to not be trash? the quantity of good anime in general is much lower than other mediums. Finding a good book, movie, tv show and video game is easy in comparison.
Jun 27, 2017 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
its simple
would u say u do drugs to the police?
Jun 27, 2017 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
> They love anime but deny it?

Yup. Definitely tsunderes.
Jun 27, 2017 2:24 PM

Jul 2015
They're probably just ashamed or embarrassed about liking anime.

caught in the wonder
Jun 27, 2017 2:25 PM

Feb 2015
They are most likely joking duh, or they are tsun-tsun about it.
Jun 27, 2017 2:26 PM

Apr 2016
Because they're tsunderes who deny their feelings.
Jun 27, 2017 2:28 PM

Feb 2013
better ask "them" yourself.......
Jun 27, 2017 2:28 PM
Aug 2016
LOL, you are the only member there?
I joined the clubs anyway LOL.
Jun 27, 2017 2:29 PM

Feb 2016
because world's view on the average otaku can be pretty scary
Jun 27, 2017 2:32 PM

Oct 2016
Ever heard about "Attention Whores"?

They are the ones you're looking for, OP.

Have fun~
Jun 27, 2017 2:34 PM
Aug 2016
ExperimentAddict said:
Say "I love anime" is like saying "I love movies". That doesn't mean you like any crap people put front of you. Of course every "anime fan" is fan of certain anime and not a fan of certain others. Unless you are a creepy that likes EVERYTHING, you are included in this category. I can say I love animation as form of art and expression, where innovation is always an option. But I hate most of recent anime, so you could easily misunderstand and judge me as a hater. Play attention, you may be doing the same thing with those you've cited.

Oh, and cut the bullshit. You probably say to people "So, why don't you just stop watching anime then" like if the person hate EVERY piece of animation out there.

So, I'm creepy because I like everything? I mean, almost everything. Well, that's not something new to me, I already knew that.
Jun 27, 2017 2:37 PM
Nov 2015
AnimeLover6051 said:
I see everywhere people who watch anime, but they still say they don't like anime and anime is trash, and my question is: If they don't like anime, why they are still watching? Or if they love anime, why they still deny it?
I don't get what's the big deal.
If someone like/love anime, why that person still deny it, and say anime is trash, but still watch it? If they think is that much trash, why they are still watchng?
I really don't get it.
I asked this just out of pure curiosity, I don't want to start a fight.

They are probably worthless pieces of shit that doesn't know better or their are tsunderes (but since their atleast know of this term I believe, I would think the first seem most logical) :)
Jun 27, 2017 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
They are probably taking the piss out of people who are a little bit too defensive over their favorite Japanese cartoons.

and ya know what?

it works.
Jun 27, 2017 2:39 PM

Apr 2016
I tell you a secret:

You either die as anime lover or you live long enough to see yourself to become an elitist.
Jun 27, 2017 2:41 PM

Dec 2007
That is one of the advanced stages of being a hardcore long time fan - you either fully embrace your love for anime even watching it for years, or you say anime sucks after seeing so many bad shows one after another and continue to binge on a couple more episodes to kill off your boredom.
Jun 27, 2017 2:52 PM

Jun 2015
I like good anime, so I'm an anime fan.

It's just that good anime doesn't exist.

Jun 27, 2017 2:52 PM

Sep 2009
They're masochists who want to torture themselves by watching stuff they hate.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 27, 2017 2:55 PM
Jul 2018
ExperimentAddict said:
Darek said:
They are probably taking the piss out of people who are a little bit too defensive over their favorite Japanese cartoons.

and ya know what?

it works.

you're trying to reach 10k posts? omnipresent...
I am just forever bored and post on too much shit, at this point I do not even know why tbh...
Jun 27, 2017 3:00 PM

Oct 2016
Because people think they can compromise for lack of penis growth through watching anime
Jun 27, 2017 3:03 PM
Jul 2018
ExperimentAddict said:
@Darek have you tried watch anime? They're really fun. You'll have a good time.
This is the thing about MAL, the more time I spend here the less I feel like watching anything.

They banned me once and I watched more anime during that time than since I joined this shithole.
Jun 27, 2017 3:05 PM

Jul 2015
They are fans of some anime
Not the medium as a whole

Anyway ... 90% of everything is crap
Jun 27, 2017 4:00 PM

Apr 2017
just repeat the ancient Japanese proverb

ANIME IS TRASH
AND SO AM I

and then go watch anime everyone hates
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Jun 27, 2017 4:25 PM

Nov 2014
Most anime are bad, but that doesn't mean that the few that are good I should stop watching anime altogether because of the many rotten apples that are released every season, but then again enjoying some mindlessness and stupidity in movies or shows won't hurt, that, however, does not mean that we shouldn't look at it with a critical eye or critique it for what it isn't.

Let me ask you with a counter question, for example, you enjoy a certain genre of music, say, trance, you enjoy few artists/DJs, but you don't like(not hate) many others, do you stop listening to that genre or do you selectively approach what you're going to listen next after you've built up your experience and taste for what you like and what you don't like?
Jun 27, 2017 4:35 PM

Dec 2015
It's because most anime is trash. There is good anime but it's mostly trash.
Jun 27, 2017 4:44 PM
Jun 2014
Only a 5-years-old who don't hate anime.
Jun 27, 2017 5:05 PM

Oct 2015
I do not understand the not understanding.

I know potato crisps are pretty trashy, I still like to eat them sometimes.
We even call junkfood that, and it sells like ... well, nothing sells like junkfood. maybe booze does.

I watched One Piece for a while until I had enough, and I watched it pretty much the same way I occasionally eat junkfood. I would have had no problem with someone calling it "trash".

I still often prefer watching, well, not trash, but anime that is not exceptionally good, just good enough/ decent. You could say sth. typically rated 7.x at MAL.
It is a more relaxed watching to me than watching sth. really, really good.
Atm. I am watching among others Lucky Star, which I find to be quite trashy - bar the Lucky Channel segment and the ending credits.

*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jun 27, 2017 5:09 PM

Jun 2017
They were actually anime haters who had disguised as anime fans. And then they went to anime forums, calling "anime is shit" just to cause flame, wars...
It's all just according to their keikaku!
Jun 27, 2017 5:15 PM

Oct 2013
15poundfish said:
What percentage of anime has to be excellent for anime to not be trash? the quantity of good anime in general is much lower than other mediums. Finding a good book, movie, tv show and video game is easy in comparison.

@ouriel

Your mean score tells me a different story. If most anime are bad, you shouldn't have a mean score 6+ or 7+

BannoBunka_snork said:
I do not understand the not understanding.

I know potato crisps are pretty trashy, I still like to eat them sometimes.
We even call junkfood that, and it sells like ... well, nothing sells like junkfood. maybe booze does.

I watched One Piece for a while until I had enough, and I watched it pretty much the same way I occasionally eat junkfood. I would have had no problem with someone calling it "trash".

I still often prefer watching, well, not trash, but anime that is not exceptionally good, just good enough/ decent. You could say sth. typically rated 7.x at MAL.
It is a more relaxed watching to me than watching sth. really, really good.
Atm. I am watching among others Lucky Star, which I find to be quite trashy - bar the Lucky Channel segment and the ending credits.

The food comparison seriously needs to die. And how can potato chips taste trashy? Or do you mean potato ships is trash because you don't like it, or simple because it is a junk food that is known to be bad for your body? Let me tell you a secret, too much of anything is bad for you. Eating Junk food moderately will not affect you. Junk food taste good, but too much of it, isn't good. That is it.

keragammingJun 27, 2017 5:34 PM
Jun 27, 2017 6:33 PM

Nov 2014
@keragamming

I'm not following the MAL score system, for me, a show/movie that I've scored as 6 is below average, 7 is average, 8 is good, 9 is very good and 10 is great, then my score is average.
Jun 27, 2017 7:12 PM

Feb 2015
Jun 27, 2017 7:25 PM

Feb 2013
People's very judgamental so no wonder some want to hide the fact that they're otaku/watch anime and trash it to keep it a safe secret. It's kinda weird though, I don't think anime is something as bad as to hide that you watch it. As for the rest, people who watches anime, doesn't hide the fact that they do and still trash it all, I can only say they're masochists.

Jun 27, 2017 7:42 PM
Jun 2015
keragamming said:

@ouriel
Your mean score tells me a different story. If most anime are bad, you shouldn't have a mean score 6+ or 7+

You do realize that number makes anime look worse when I have only watched about around 2% to 3% of all anime. Quantity wise that is worse than Sturgeon's Law where the number of decent titles is around 10%. I don't think anime should be judged by the quantity because it cannot be judged linearly. Good anime are exceptions not the rule but even those exceptions cannot outclass great Hollywood movies and live action American shows. I like to watch some Anime, but to say I like Anime as a medium would say I have no taste as watcher in the same way if I said I like television and movies as mediums.
Jun 27, 2017 8:25 PM

Oct 2013
15poundfish said:
keragamming said:

@ouriel

You do realize that number makes anime look worse when I have only watched about around 2% to 3% of all anime. Quantity wise that is worse than Sturgeon's Law where the number of decent titles is around 10%. I don't think anime should be judged by the quantity because it cannot be judged linearly. Good anime are exceptions not the rule but even those exceptions cannot outclass great Hollywood movies and live action American shows. I like to watch some Anime, but to say I like Anime as a medium would say I have no taste as watcher in the same way if I said I like television and movies as mediums.

Your mean score is 6+ which means you think the anime medium is above average overall. Your mean score contradicts your claim. From what I've seen 6 and 7 seems to be your most use score. And those numbers are positive scores.

I don't know why you hold movie and tv series so highly, imo they are at the same quality. But that is not the point here anyways.
keragammingJun 27, 2017 8:28 PM
Jun 27, 2017 9:06 PM

Dec 2015
Because anime is trash and only by disguising myself as a fan can I expose the truth.
Jun 28, 2017 2:33 AM
Jun 2015
keragamming said:

Your mean score is 6+ which means you think the anime medium is above average overall. Your mean score contradicts your claim. From what I've seen 6 and 7 seems to be your most use score. And those numbers are positive scores.

Once again you don't understand how percentages work, a mean score applied to 2% of watched anime does not represent the other 98% of anime unwatched.

keragamming said:

I don't know why you hold movie and tv series so highly, imo they are at the same quality. But that is not the point here anyways.

They have superior writing, cinematography, theme exploration ,etc while staying accessible to most watchers. There is nothing in anime as good as The Wire and there are many other titles that have better writing or more compelling characters than anime like House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Babylon 5, Twin Peaks, Mad Men, etc. Even mediocre crap like the Walking Dead has better more thought out theme exploration and writing than most popular anime. Also space opera's like StarGate SG-1, Battle star Galatica, Star Trek, etc are much better than most anime counterparts despite being cheesy at times. There are tons of other tv shows that could be considered better examples but in general anime is nowhere near as good as most of those titles that I have listed.

Cartoons in general have more fluid and superior animation than anime to the point where family guy CG action scenes put ufotable to shame. Avatar the last air bender is a really old cartoon and has better animation than most modern anime and better writing than most action shounen anime. Cartoons have way more varied art styles, almost every successful cartoon has a unique distinct style instead of most anime styles. The cons of cartoons is that they are marketing often for younger audiences and generally are comedies or are of the super hero genre. This is may be a con for some but the comedy is in order magnitudes superior than anime comedy. The jokes generally are not anywhere near as recycled and as iterative as anime jokes. Rick and Morty is far better than any comedy anime it can explore its theme of the meaningless of life well enough to not have to monologue the entire thing to the viewer like anime.

Good Hollywood movies are much better than most anime, pretty much anything voted for an oscar is better than almost all anime.
Jun 28, 2017 3:19 AM

Oct 2014
I believe it's either to troll insecure weebs for fun or they indeed do hate anime (perhaps they are a western supremacist) and just watch it so they can judge with supposed 'merit', without receiving the obvious criticism of, "you haven't even watched anime so why are you talking shit about it" etc.

^^ the guy above me is an example of the latter except he doesn't seem to hate anime and just thinks western shows are better.
Light-Jun 28, 2017 3:23 AM
Jun 28, 2017 4:19 AM

Jun 2016
Because some anime fans have the "If majority of the people hate/dislike this anime, then I hate/dislike it, too" mentality.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 28, 2017 6:20 AM

Feb 2010
On the one hand there is a lot of self-loathing in the anime community. People watching stuff they see as shit. People hating themselves for enjoying certain kinds of anime. People being prejudiced against anime or the community despite being a part of it. People bashing each other out of insecurity because they always need someone to look down on, to blame the 'bad' aspects of anime/anime fandom on. So they can set themselves aside as the 'better' or 'real' kind of anime fan. It's kind of sad and pitiful but it is how it is.

On the other hand this is also very true:

ExperimentAddict said:
@AnimeLover6051 Yes, you are. When someone likes EVERYTHING, he can't explain why he likes and is unable to describe his own taste. You obviously don't like everything, as you stated. You like almost everything and that's more than enough to come to a contradiction. If you evaluate the 'criteria' that you use to give an anime a score, you'll probably find out that there is no criteria. You like, you give a good score. You don't like, you give a low score. That's it. Period.

I think "creepy" could be replaced by "mindless" in this case. You don't have to think about what you're watching, just enjoy. That kind of people are the first ones to bother people hating their favorites. After all, why hate if you just can stop watching/reading, right? That's pretty annoying, because most of the "haters" aren't haters and don't call anime "trash" without reason. I hope they continue hating, because if there were only people who "enjoy" and "like" things, the producers would not mind in producing anything good, just shit that people will swallow anyway because they just accept. And dude, the MAL community is fulled with these universal "likers".

There's little more frustrating than being labeled a hater by some mindless drone who avoids thinking about anime because thinking leads to analysis leads to criticism and that might make them have an opinion and having an opinion might be negative so it is best to be avoided.

The truth is somewhere in the middle as always. There's a lot of mindless hating going on that's just mainly toxic, but there's also a lot of mindless liking and judging any criticism as 'mindless hate' or 'elitism' by default going on, which is just as toxic of an attitude to have.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 28, 2017 6:45 AM

Oct 2013
@15poundfish

And that 2% is enough to tell how much you feel about the medium so far, same as how you don't need to watch every single anime ever existed to say tv series and movies are overall better than anime.

If you are going to use that bullshit excuse, then you have no right to say tv series and movies are overall better than anime, when you only watch 2% of what the medium has to offer now do you?

You will never watch every anime ever existed, so that statement is overall dumb and unrealistic. Your mean score is 6+ so far which mean you think the medium is doing fine base of your experience so far
Jun 28, 2017 10:41 AM
Jun 2015
keragamming said:
@15poundfish

And that 2% is enough to tell how much you feel about the medium so far, same as how you don't need to watch every single anime ever existed to say tv series and movies are overall better than anime.

If you are going to use that bullshit excuse, then you have no right to say tv series and movies are overall better than anime, when you only watch 2% of what the medium has to offer now do you?

Its easy to say Tv series and movies are better than anime because I am looking at the best titles of each medium. I don't need to watch every single show to figure that out because watching the crap titles doesn't change the fact the best television and movies are leagues better than anime. The phrase I like a medium is such a meaningless statement or a declaration that you have no taste in entertainment.

keragamming said:

You will never watch every anime ever existed, so that statement is overall dumb and unrealistic. Your mean score is 6+ so far which mean you think the medium is doing fine base of your experience so far
No, because the quantity and percentage of decent anime is far lower than other forms of entertainment. A good anime year is something you can count on a single hand while in other mediums they often have way more than a handful of good titles to consume per year.
Jun 28, 2017 11:16 AM

Oct 2013
15poundfish said:
keragamming said:
@15poundfish

Its easy to say Tv series and movies are better than anime because I am looking at the best titles of each medium. I don't need to watch every single show to figure that out because watching the crap titles doesn't change the fact the best television and movies are leagues better than anime. The phrase I like a medium is such a meaningless statement or a declaration that you have no taste in entertainment.

keragamming said:

No, because the quantity and percentage of decent anime is far lower than other forms of entertainment. A good anime year is something you can count on a single hand while in other mediums they often have way more than a handful of good titles to consume per year.

There is a lot of great titles you haven't even watch. But this argument is useless, its your opinion, I personally find them all equal in quality.

Jun 28, 2017 11:21 AM

Aug 2012
Anime hipsters, that's what they are.
Jun 28, 2017 3:03 PM
Jun 2015
keragamming said:

There is a lot of great titles you haven't even watch. But this argument is useless, its your opinion, I personally find them all equal in quality.
Of course you cannot list any anime that are of comparable quality. The reason being is anime is not as good as those mediums.
Jun 28, 2017 3:37 PM

Mar 2017
I actually went through a phase a bit like this.

More specifically, I said I hated MOST anime, but there were a couple shows I loved. Then I got more into the medium, and found out that there was more stuff that appealed to me than I realized. So yeah, sometimes when people say they hate anime even though they watch anime, it's because they're unfamiliar with the genre. There's also the "I support the 2% of anime that doesn't suck," mentality, which is not necessarily born of unfamiliarity. Sometimes its simply the result of being really picky.

It's also possible that people who enjoy anime will deny it because they don't want to be associated with anime fans. We have kind of a bad rep, if you haven't noticed it.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Jun 28, 2017 6:51 PM

Jun 2008
Dude, everything anime "fans" say should be taken with a grain of salt...

Or maybe a fucking mountain...

Basically, anime fans were the first to enter the post-ironic era we now live in.

Literally everything is a joke.
Jun 29, 2017 12:15 AM

Aug 2008
They are probably butthurt because most modern anime does not pander to their taste.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 2 hours ago

9 by Kushna »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

22 by Theo1899 »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 11 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
10 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

19 by Zakception »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

164 by JaniSIr »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.