Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else here with massive math and arithmetics problems if they don't do it once a month?

New
Jun 26, 2017 8:33 AM

Jun 2015
I haven't done arithmetic for more than 2 years and now I am shit at it.

Back when I did exams in it I was the best one in class and now I am terrible....

I can't even calculate 1743-1396 without a sheet of paper anymore.

I used to do these kind of shit without even trying....... and now I am having a hard time.

Anyone else with me? What do you think?
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jun 26, 2017 8:36 AM

Jun 2014
I was never good at math.

Things like literature and linguistics are easy as hell for me. I even know the IPA.

But if someone were to ask me what the area of a rectangle was, I wouldn't be able to tell them, because I have a severe math disability. Seriously, geometry makes no fucking sense.

Jun 26, 2017 8:38 AM

Jan 2017
Why do you need to calculate it without a sheet of paper?
Do you want to be a human calculator or something?

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jun 26, 2017 8:53 AM

May 2015
swirlydragon said:

Doing simple arithmetic in your head is a basic human skill. You look like a retard if you have to pull out your calculator for every simple calculation you face, no matter what you do.
Jun 26, 2017 8:55 AM

Jun 2014
Fijure said:
swirlydragon said:

Doing simple arithmetic in your head is a basic human skill. You look like a retard if you have to pull out your calculator for every simple calculation you face, no matter what you do.

I don't know anyone who can add two 4-digit numbers in their head. Most people can't.

Jun 26, 2017 8:56 AM

Jan 2017
Fijure said:

lol
It's funny how you say that because I am a maths student. Doing arithmetics without a calculator is a waste of time. If you are studying basic mathematics then you might need to solve those basic problem yourselves, but it doesn't hold true for students studying higher mathematics. In fact, we also get calculators in some of our test.
Most of the mathematics teachers don't even care about basic calculation. If your solution is right then they will grade you fairly. They just wanna check if your concepts are in clear in coordinate geometry, calculus, algebra, etc.

Seiya said:

I don't know anyone who can add two 4-digit numbers in their head. Most people can't.

Yeah, you are right!
swirlydragonJun 26, 2017 9:03 AM

Jun 26, 2017 9:00 AM

Feb 2015
I never was good at math.
Now I'm even more terrible at it.
Jun 26, 2017 9:00 AM

May 2015
swirlydragon said:
Fijure said:

lol
It's funny how you say that because I am a maths student. Doing arithmetics without a calculator is a waste of time. If you are studying basic mathematics then you might need to solve those basic problem yourselves, but it doesn't hold true for students studying higher mathematics. In fact, we also get calculators in some of our test.

Well the issue wasn't that OP couldn't do quantum theory or Planck equations without a piece of paper, but that he couldn't calculate basic arithmetics. Believe it or not, you do run into situations in life where you have to calculate basic arithmetics on your own without them being part of bigger equations, for instance when buying several things at once, and in that case, it is fairly handy to be able to calculate simple subtractions like the one OP mentioned without having to pull out a calculator. Being good at calculating also develops your logical and analytical skills, which are useful in every situation. Becoming completely dependent on machines just because you can isn't very smart.
Jun 26, 2017 9:03 AM

Jan 2017
Fijure said:
Well the issue wasn't that OP couldn't do quantum theory or Planck equations without a piece of paper, but that he couldn't calculate basic arithmetics. Believe it or not, you do run into situations in life where you have to calculate basic arithmetics on your own without them being part of bigger equations, for instance when buying several things at once, and in that case, it is fairly handy to be able to calculate simple subtractions like the one OP mentioned without having to pull out a calculator. Being good at calculating also develops your logical and analytical skills, which are useful in every situation. Becoming completely dependent on machines just because you can isn't very smart.

Doing mathematical operations with two-three digit numbers in your head is fine, but also with 4 digits?
Nahh...
I think I'd rather use a calculator

Jun 26, 2017 9:25 AM

Jun 2015
Seiya said:
Fijure said:

Well maybe your country is stupid XD
We got a lot and let me tell you a lot of written tests with only

3444-2394
2394-2123
3959-2394

Etc etc it used to be so easy and now I am like huh wtf.. but after practicing an hour rn I am close to where I Was
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jun 26, 2017 9:26 AM

Jun 2015
Seiya said:
Fijure said:

You don't know many people, then.

Personal experience is a lousy sample size.

Jun 26, 2017 9:26 AM

Jun 2015
Fijure said:
swirlydragon said:

lol

Yeah but those are small numbers like:

23,00 etc that's pretty easy I think.

I am talking 'bout 4 digits. I used to be able to head calculate up to 5...
now up to 3.. I am going to practice a lot........ I feel stupid rn and that's not what I am aiming for.
Jun 26, 2017 9:28 AM

Jul 2013
yeah i have to use a calculator for everything now.
Jun 26, 2017 9:29 AM

Feb 2013
Literally the only benefit of being able to calculate numbers like that in your head is for taking no-calculators-allowed tests in school. Any career you're going to use that skill in, you shouldn't be calculating things in your head.
Jun 26, 2017 9:30 AM

Jun 2015
Daddy-O said:
Literally the only benefit of being able to calculate numbers like that in your head is for taking no-calculators-allowed tests in school. Any career you're going to use that skill in, you shouldn't be calculating things in your head.

Like @fijure said ''Being good at calculating also develops your logical and analytical skills''
Jun 26, 2017 9:30 AM

Jun 2015
I can do basic arithmetic like that in my head without thinking much.

It's not a super useful skill for me but whatever.

Jun 26, 2017 9:32 AM

Feb 2013
Takamura-sama said:
Daddy-O said:

Like @fijure said ''Being good at calculating also develops your logical and analytical skills''
That's some nerd shit. I'm not about that.
Jun 26, 2017 9:33 AM

Apr 2017
i can get it pretty close pretty fast but putting in that last effort is rarely worth it imo... unless its necessary, obv
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Jun 26, 2017 9:41 AM

Jun 2014
rawrX3pounces said:
Seiya said:

Back when I was in school, from grade 6 to grade 12, teachers didn't require students to show their workings, so everybody just used calculators for everything. They even allowed us to use calculators on tests.

I don't even remember how to add two numbers on a piece of paper, because I haven't done that since I was 10 years old.

Jun 26, 2017 9:47 AM

Jun 2015
Seiya said:
rawrX3pounces said:

Back when I was in school, from grade 6 to grade 12, teachers didn't require students to show their workings, so everybody just used calculators for everything. They even allowed us to use calculators on tests.

I don't even remember how to add two numbers on a piece of paper, because I haven't done that since I was 10 years old.

lmao me neither, but u have to practice bro.
Jun 26, 2017 9:49 AM

Jun 2014
Takamura-sama said:
Seiya said:

lmao me neither, but u have to practice bro.

There's no point in me "practicing." I have a math disability. I cannot understand math at all.

Jun 26, 2017 10:22 AM

Dec 2015
Calculating is not the same as math. Math is a bit more. I studied 1 semester (was too hard compared to school maths so I stopped) mathematics at a university and the prof even made a joke about that. :D

I guess calculating ... could get harder if you don't keep your brain well trained and in shape. Like with some muscles and stuff when you do sport.

But with other stuff (using formulas, deducing stuff ...) I guess it won't be that hard to do it even later - as long as you know the basic stuff. Maybe you need a few minutes to get into it again (and you might have forgotten some formulas) - but it should not be too hard.

In school in physics when other classmates just memorized some formulas that got deduced from a basic formula and used it to calculate stuff I was too lazy (not too good at memorizing tons of stuff especially if it is boring stuff like formulas) so I tried just to remember the basic things where I could deduce all the other stuff from which was enough (lots of time in the tests ha ha).
Jun 26, 2017 10:50 AM

May 2015
Takamura-sama said:
Fijure said:

Yeah but those are small numbers like:

23,00 etc that's pretty easy I think.

I am talking 'bout 4 digits. I used to be able to head calculate up to 5...
now up to 3.. I am going to practice a lot........ I feel stupid rn and that's not what I am aiming for.

Figuring stuff like your example in the OP out fast is easy if you break it down. For example, your example of 1743-1396.

When looking at this, you immediately round the numbers to the nearest hundred in your head giving 1700-1400=300 (hopefully this should be calculable in your head otherwise your a lost cause) Then you simply add 43+4=47, 300+47=347. Conversely, you subtract the smaller numbers afterward in case the rounding was different (if the large number was rounded up for instance.)

Calculating 4 digit numbers in your head is way easier with this principle, and it is applicable to all simple arithmetic with four digit numbers, and makes you able to calculate the result in a few second without needing help. If not being able to do it makes you feel stupid, just use this approach and see how it works out.
Jun 26, 2017 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
Seiya said:
Fijure said:

I... I can... Probably up to 6 or 7 digits at least, without too much trouble. The example OP gave is super easy, too.
1743 - 1396 =
1743 - 1400 + 4
I'm sure everyone can do 1743-1400 then add 4.

@xrockxz89 Forgot my calculator the day of the exam, I had to find a few square roots by hand. At least I had sheets of paper to try and mess around (^:
DeathkoJun 26, 2017 11:17 AM
Jun 26, 2017 11:13 AM

May 2013
Clebardman said:
Seiya said:

I... I can... Probably up to 6 or 7 digits at least, without too much trouble. The example OP gave is super easy, too.

shit dude adding is easy, multiplication and division is a bit harder.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jun 26, 2017 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
I've always been terrible at anything beyond basic math. My algebraic skills are so pathetic that they're making me take remedial in college.
Jun 26, 2017 1:42 PM

Jul 2015
Fijure said:

It's ok, I don't mind looking dumb! 2+2 will always go in my calculator in case the laws of math suddenly change

And to answer ur question OP: if you don't practice something, regardless of what it is, you'll start to forget how to do it
Jun 26, 2017 1:52 PM

Jan 2009
yep and my disorder does not help too so i suck at even basic math now
Jun 26, 2017 2:56 PM

Oct 2014
That's nothing. Once on a train ride my brother took out a quizbook in which one question was something along the lines of "how many possible ways are there to sort 10 individual books in a shelf?".

We didn't even have a calculator or pen&paper and neither of us were in any way outstanding when it comes to computing the numbers in your head. But still we somehow managed to do it without looking at the answer beforehand, though we had to have to correct ourselves midway because we miscalculated the numbers once and had to repeat a part of the calculation again....

But yea... 4 digit subtraction? That's nothing, good luck computing the number "10!"!
Jun 27, 2017 1:05 AM

Oct 2012
Seiya said:
Fijure said:

Let me teach you then.

1743-1396

1743 - 43 = 1700
1396 + 4 = 1400

1700 - 1400 = 300... obviously (this is practically a 2 digit subtraction)
43 + 4 = 47... another 2 digit operation
300 + 47 = 347 <----- your answer

Yes, I can solve that in my head.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 27, 2017 1:06 AM

May 2015
Dimethylanime said:
Fijure said:

It's ok, I don't mind looking dumb! 2+2 will always go in my calculator in case the laws of math suddenly change

And to answer ur question OP: if you don't practice something, regardless of what it is, you'll start to forget how to do it

If the laws of math suddenly change then who's to say your calculator will be aware of it though?
Jun 27, 2017 1:12 AM

Oct 2012
Grey-Zone said:
But yea... 4 digit subtraction? That's nothing, good luck computing the number "10!"!
Really? Let me teach you.

10!
1*2*3*4 = 24 (common sense)
24*5 is really saying 24*10/2, which is obviously 240/2 or 120.
120*6 is really saying 100*6 + 20*6 = 720
720*7 is really saying 7*7*100 + 20*7, or 4900 + 140 = 5040
5040*8 is really saying 5*8*1000 + 4*8*10, or 40000 + 320 = 40320
40320*9 is really saying 4*9*10000 + 3*9*100 + 2*9*10,
.... or 360000 + 2700 + 180 = 362880
362880*10 just add a zero at the end

3628800 is your answer.

Yes, I typed it out, just for you. But do you really think this is hard to solve in your head? Not even close...
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 27, 2017 3:26 AM

Oct 2014
katsucats said:
Grey-Zone said:

10!

3628800 is your answer.

Yes, I typed it out, just for you. But do you really think this is hard to solve in your head? Not even close...

Sure, as if it would be so "easy" do the calculations of the things behind "is really saying" without forgetting part of it or miscalculating something. You are underestimating the advantages of being able to type it out/write it down immensly.
Jun 27, 2017 3:28 AM

Jan 2017
Grey-Zone said:
You are underestimating the advantages of being able to type it out/write it down immensly.

Yeah, I have to agree on this
Tho I can calculate till 8! in my mind only
swirlydragonJun 27, 2017 3:36 AM

Jun 27, 2017 3:47 AM

Oct 2012
Grey-Zone said:
katsucats said:

10!

3628800 is your answer.

Sure, as if it would be so "easy" do the calculations of the things behind "is really saying" without forgetting part of it or miscalculating something. You are underestimating the advantages of being able to type it out/write it down immensly.
I calculated it in my mind before I wrote it down. Writing it took 5 times as long.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 27, 2017 4:17 AM

Feb 2014
i was great at english lit and science in school but it took me three times to pass maths LOL and i havent continued to practice since leaving skewl so ya im screwed
ill have to rely on google and a calculator for the rest of my life but w/e
Jun 27, 2017 7:30 AM

Jun 2014
katsucats said:
Seiya said:
Let me teach you then.

1743-1396

1743 - 43 = 1700
1396 + 4 = 1400

1700 - 1400 = 300... obviously (this is practically a 2 digit subtraction)
43 + 4 = 47... another 2 digit operation
300 + 47 = 347 <----- your answer

Yes, I can solve that in my head.

You can solve it in your head because you're Asian, so math is naturally easier to you.

I have a math disability, so there's nothing you can say to me about math that'll make any sense. I don't know what the area of a rectangle is either.

Jun 27, 2017 5:38 PM

Jul 2015
Fijure said:
Dimethylanime said:

If the laws of math suddenly change then who's to say your calculator will be aware of it though?

Calculators are pretty amazing creatures, legend has it that they all rear up and congregate while we sleep to discuss calculus! They have very acute senses.
Jun 27, 2017 5:43 PM

Feb 2015
I was never good at Math.

When I was in Math class, I blocked out and let the calculator spit out the answer to -2/-4... That's just how bad I am...

Jun 27, 2017 5:50 PM

Apr 2014
I'm pretty good at math
whenever I need gpa boosts, I take a summer or winter classes to get it back up again
some classes are really useless (once there was this online program where we learned how to use some wolfmath program)
Jun 27, 2017 10:52 PM

Jun 2015
_Ako_ said:

When I was in Math class, I blocked out and let the calculator spit out the answer to -2/-4... That's just how bad I am...

katsucats said:
Grey-Zone said:

10!

3628800 is your answer.

U say this here but on a test u don't know what to do
Jun 28, 2017 12:29 AM

Oct 2012
Takamura-sama said:
_Ako_ said:

katsucats said:

10!

3628800 is your answer.

If you're 11, then maybe you have a point. It's too bad the common core doesn't teach people how to multiply anymore, I guess?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 29, 2017 8:01 AM

Jun 2015
katsucats said:
Takamura-sama said:
If you're 11, then maybe you have a point. It's too bad the common core doesn't teach people how to multiply anymore, I guess?

I am almost 17...

I could do it with trouble though. Not in 3 seconds

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 3 hours ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
25 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 1 hour ago

2 by LenRea »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

9 by _Nette_ »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

25 by Dracowyn »»
53 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

674 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.