anime that you unexpectedly ended up hating

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 27, 2017 12:10 AM

Jul 2008
I really enjoyed Nana, but the ending was frustrating as hell
Jun 27, 2017 12:18 AM

Apr 2017
Romance is my kind of thing nowadays (Cause I'm truly a sucker for that xD)

Since this wasted series got completely adapted

Well I used to Like Nisekoi

>Then became a jumble mess pile of crap, (Every since the manga ended onto anticlimatic wishy lovey dovey promised thing for more than 200+ chapter just to keep us wait)
>The Cast are completely generic
>Side character ones are pretty much well-written (Ruri and Shuu)

>Except. Every Since The Shipping Wars ended Between the two set of Bland Heroines, The Crowd goes wild while others get frustrated and making a shitty rant on it.
-HippySnob-Jun 27, 2017 12:28 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jun 27, 2017 3:37 AM
Mar 2015
Gundam IBO

I thought it was going to be decent, but no: Boring writing, boring characters, ugly designs, slow pacing, terrible characters, and the list goes on...

Jun 27, 2017 3:58 AM

Dec 2014
Sword Art Online and Boku no Pico...
Jun 27, 2017 4:06 AM

Jul 2015
Elegade said:
World God Only Knows, Now that I knew that that bitch Chihiro won, my pristine shipping record was tainted. Also the fact the he could have gone with anyone more high level, he decides to go with the background character smh. Still pisses me off til this day.

Im glad they didnt adapt the manga until the end
seriously , chihiro was the worst bitch in the whole serie
Jun 27, 2017 7:59 AM
Jul 2018
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Orange. It was very disappointing. I mean. I really don't HATE it even as much as I feel I should. I do feel relatively betrayed by it... even though I should have known how it would be on episode 1. I kinda go back and say "yes, there were signs it was going to be shit for me" especially with time travel elements. It is just not something I like. The time travel wasn't so much the issue, it was the romance itself. I really wish there was none of that...

It was just a total turnoff as someone who actually went through things like that.

I feel the same way about the series as well. I should had dropped the anime when I had the chance. The story was somewhat boring, so were the characters. The only likable character would have to be Hagita.

Also, here are some other anime that I ended up unsuspectingly disliking:

1. Masamune-kun's Revenge (The plot of the anime is lame and the characters are despicable. I wanted to continue watching because of Yoshino. However, it was most likely that she was going to lose the "best girl" story line. I don't want to bother myself to finish this anime. I only watched 5 episodes.)
2. Dagashi Kashi (I'll rather binge watch some Japanese commercials on YouTube than this anime. I only watched 6 episodes.)
3. Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? (I didn't like any of the characters either. I only watched 3 episodes.)

Jun 27, 2017 8:29 AM
Mar 2016
death note, not so much that i hate it but it just got really stale and boring
Jun 27, 2017 8:31 AM

Apr 2017
SAO and Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
and a certain love-hate relationship with Yuri On Ice and Uta no Prince Sama.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2017 8:33 AM
Oct 2010
Sword Art Online - Went in blind, knew absolutely nothing of it, not even a trailer. Thought it would be a decent budget shounen about a dude getting himself out of a dangerous MMO i.e. a focus on combat, leveling etc , expectations met with the first episode then after that it went to shit. What I ended up getting by about 7 episodes in is a dude with his harem playing house, that shit was ridiculous.

Attack on titan - I actually liked the source material that was covered in season one, but they some how managed to draw it out to a snails pace and made the entire thing boring.

Aldnoah Zero - After I saw the cast I thought to myself "this will at least be decent", oh how wrong I was. This was basically mahouka in space, Inaho is literally the mahouka guy but in a mecha. Terrible characters and terrible shows.

Psycho Pass Season 2 - After coming off a decent season one, how could they fall so low? They basically doubled down on everything wrong with the first season but then added a BUNCH of plot holes and stupid moments in the second.

Macross Delta - I generally enjoy Macross shows so I thought this would be enjoyable as well, but nah, half the time I watched this I kept thinking wtf? And for every good moment, there was an equally terrible (or worse) one.

Jun 27, 2017 8:45 AM

Nov 2011
Shinsekai yori. Everyone said it was a great horror anime but it ended up being boring and it barely even seemed like horror at all.

Jun 27, 2017 9:00 AM

Dec 2014
Evangelion. Evangelion. Evangelion. I'm surprise myself that I could watch it to the end. I tho maybe i would like it because ppl said it is a good anime but even after the final ep, NO. I don't like it at all. Not at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2017 9:11 AM
Sep 2016
Kimi ni Todoke

The first season was ok, although it was frustrating at times, it ended well and since there was a second season I thought I would be getting a continuation of that feels good vibe.

I was wrong, the second season made me start to want to watch the show at 2 times speed.. It was like the only way they knew how to make shows was to make it as frustrating as possible. I still like the characters but there was so much more they could have done with the second season.
Jun 27, 2017 9:13 AM
Dec 2016
Eromanga-Sensei and Masamune-kun's Revenge

Not really hate but more disappointment.
i guess it's because i overhyped for it and it really didn't match my expectations.
:^)
Jun 27, 2017 9:14 AM

Aug 2016
Evangelion Rebuild 2.0, god that was infuriating
Jun 27, 2017 9:29 AM

Sep 2015
Hate
Rewrite both season why? Best Key's game but the anime is.....

Disappointment
Plastic Memory the last half
Kimi no Nawa not as good people say imo
Dragon Ball Super did i have to say something?
Boruto Next Generation Naruto GOD JUST DIE ALREADY NARUTO ANIME

Into the Internet!
Jun 27, 2017 9:38 AM

Jun 2012
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Arslan Senki, Berserk, Blade & Soul, Chrno Crusade, Elfen Lied, Kuzu no Honkai, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Tokyo Ghoul vA, Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.

I didn't even think I had so many ...
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Jun 27, 2017 9:45 AM

Dec 2016
Samurai Champloo. I thought I would like because of the director and I had heard how cool Mugen was. Ironically Mugen is what I hate about the show the most. I hate people without morals. Episodic stories were non-compelling.
Women of my dreams I don't sleep so I can't find her

Jun 27, 2017 1:24 PM

Dec 2013
eLDIVE, Same creator as reborn so I was hype. Turned out to be a terrible show. Also Dimension W, it had everything going for it except the plot.
Jun 27, 2017 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
lain was shit

30 chars sorry beach :)
Jun 27, 2017 1:29 PM

Sep 2015
off the top of my head re:zero, plastic memory, and code geass
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Jun 27, 2017 1:36 PM
Aug 2016
Bakemonogatari. I wouldn't say hate tho. It was more like, an anime that I don't particulary like.
Jun 27, 2017 1:37 PM

Feb 2015
Ao no Exorcist have some good highlights but still, doesn't justify how shitty the MCs are.

KoolBreeze said:

Nisekoi - this was the show that finally pushed me to my breaking point for these Romance harem anime. It ended pretty much no differently than how it began. Except what made this show worse was the fact that it was 20 eps long. WHAT'S THE PURPOSE OF ROMANCE IF IN THE END IT LEADS TO NOTHING.

Eyyy! the manga is completed. Unlike the anime adaptation...
Jun 27, 2017 1:38 PM

May 2015
Shakugan no Shana. Heard of its positive reception, had Rie Kugimiya, and had a gripping first episode. Unfortunately, everything just went downhill after episode 1 and the series became a chore to watch. From then on, I was only watching it for Wilhelmina Carmel...
Jun 27, 2017 1:41 PM

Oct 2010
LightningSoul said:
lots of plot holes T_T as a result

Name a few.

I mean, it's a common thing to say that the movie simplifies the narrative of the manga and focuses on two characters instead of the whole cast like it seems to be in the original source, but I'm still yet to find any of those plot holes. Did anything not make sense narratively speaking to you? Did any leap in logic happen in the movie?
Jun 27, 2017 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
I will bring some examples and I'll try to point out few of them.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - When I think about it it isn't much of a hate towards the show, I just felt displeased with it. The idea or the setting is nice but the matter of bringing me in was totally bad, especially when it came to its pacing. The first episode was the initial point and I didn't thought I would dislike it, I thought I would like it at some point... boy I was so wrong on that in the end. It isn't bad, but I won't watch the second season because of my displeasure.

Fuuka - One of those series that I expected to be bad of course, however I never thought of actually hating the series. My initial thoughts was that the show was generic and average at best, but as the episodes went on I actually felt an urge to kill Seo Kouji. Not to mention, its ONE of those occasions where I actually will notice "bad writing" at the finest, as someone that is rather picky with the drama genre. Even the music or songs aren't remotely great, and that's the only good thing the show has for me.

Divergence Eve - Two of my friends bragged about this series, and I have initially thought that they can't be that bad compared to the stuff I've seen (Not to go and brag but I've seen a decent amount of bad stuff for my end) what I have an as an initial expectation was that it was going to be mediocre, or at the very least bad but entertaining... I was wrong on that as well. It's one of those shows that not only have I noticed a severe amount of writing issues, its also one of those that made me feel frustrated as hell every single episode. Not even One Punch Man can make me feel frustrated this much, and that is my 2nd hated anime of all time. The show in the end its something I completely do not recommend to anyone, even for those that wants to watch something bad, unless they plead for it.

One Punch Man - My expectations were rather high for this one series, until after the first episode where it started off decently... I noticed a severe backfire towards its own purpose or what it wants to do. It looks like it's trying to poke at shounen tropes, but in the process of it at the end of the show... it contradicted itself hard, turning into a series that it was trying to make fun of, and in the process making fun of itself in the worst way possible. I found it cringe worthy, I found it really sour also that a concept like this was wasted by horrible execution, and the only good thing about this series was the music. Because yeah the sakuga fest was there but it left no impact on me personally due to how much shit the writing was bugging me, and that's just on the personal level of things and it ended up by a mile shot. It made me legit take Fairy Tail over this show.

Honorable Mentions: Death Note (3rd hated anime, it had a decent beginning but after the first half it went into this pinnacle trainwreck, the ending was the cherry at the top), JoJo Part 4 (Not most hated, but it was the one series that made me lose interest entirety of the franchise), Planetarian (Not a bad show but because of the slow pacing and pretty mediocre execution, what I have initially had thought was disappointing, even by Key standards for me) Gangsta (Decent beginning but it started to go into the pinnacle definition of bad writing for me, and that's coming from someone that have seen many mafia series which thrills and twists around it... the finale was the biggest middle finger for me), Garo: Guren no Tsuki (as a fan of the original Garo, this was disappointing as hell. Combine mediocre execution, and uninteresting characters or unlikable characters, below average animation to the mix and the enjoyment and expectations going down the drain... You might get it. I don't hate it, but it was damn disappointing).
Jun 27, 2017 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
Arslan Senki is the one that started very strong and very much alike Akatsuki no Yona, and to be honest, thought it'll be a better version of it but nah. It was truly a big let down for me. The anime was worth watching only because of Lord Silvermask. He's the only possible interesting character over there and that is actually very down-to-earth imo.
Season 2, on the other hand, is a waste of time 'cause everything got back to square one. Anything significant happened except getting to see Silermask's backstory which can make you sympathize with his character and root for him.

Sekaisuru Kado is another I can think of. But, honestly? I'm not disappointed. Maybe because I didn't have expectations to begin with. However, I binged it and pretty much saw when it went downhill from hundred to zero that quickly starting somewhere after episode 6 and further. First half is pretty much entertaining with all the political negotiations and intelligence...but second - is a disaster. I even questioned myself do I watch the same anime.
Jun 27, 2017 2:24 PM

May 2016
Occultic;Nine. The premise was there but the pacing was so abysmally bad that I'm surprised I even finished the series.

Also, I didn't hate Youjo Senki or Ajin, but they were both pretty underwhelming.
Jun 27, 2017 2:31 PM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:
Parasyte looked like a lot of fun. A body horror anime with a talking hand and Bass music seemed like an ideal anime for me, but it was really harem in disguise.

I don't think you have the foggiest clue what a Harem anime is. There are two girls. One he clearly likes himself and one that is a creepy stalker he only just barely accomodates to try to stop her killing herself. Neither live with him and they don't have relationships remotely resembling a harem anime.

I honestly am baffled anyone could make this big of a mistake. Like, are you trolling?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 27, 2017 2:34 PM

Oct 2012
Don't really hate anything, but was hugely disappointed with prince of tennis. It started out promising, but then they started throwing tornadoes and lightnings at each other, like can you just play tennis
Jun 27, 2017 2:38 PM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Attack on Titan. So hyped, but when I watched it I just found it pretty dull and when someone died it felt like really forced that I was supposed to be upset (probably because the anime didn't sell them as someone we should like or even gave them all that much screen time or character-building)

Naruto. Loved the manga, BUT THE FILLER. DEAR GOD SO MUCH FILLER AND LITERALLY NONE OF IT IS GOOD AND MAYBE 0.01% OF IT CONTRIBUTES TO THE PLOT IN A MEANINGFUL WAY. Not to mention it was very poorly animated at several important moments in the plot and the fight choreography was inconsistently good and bad in different arcs.

One Piece. I was told by so many people this was some kind of masterpiece. But about 50 episodes in I was still FORCING myself to stomach it. I just found it very bland and generic (food loving dumb MC, ETC)

Re:Zero. Was sold this was a really deep anime. It honestly just felt super-shallow with forced feels to me. Also do we really need more LOL SO RANDUM AND IM CRAZY HEHE WOLOLOL characters ( *cough* Beetlegueze *cough* ) Sure they're funny and all, but they're super basic, generally very poorly written and add very little creatively.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 27, 2017 2:53 PM

Feb 2017
icchan8 said:
Evangelion. Evangelion. Evangelion. I'm surprise myself that I could watch it to the end. I tho maybe i would like it because ppl said it is a good anime but even after the final ep, NO. I don't like it at all. Not at all.

I thought i'd be alone on this, it was so hard for me to finish all 26 episodes. Dropped it 3 times and had to force myself to watch it all the way through. I desperately tried to understand everyone's appreciation for it but I just don't get it.
Jun 27, 2017 3:23 PM
Aug 2011
Evangelion - Most unlikable and hateful cast of characters I have ever seen. I don't even understand how anyone can call them "realistic" at all. also throw in pretentiousness everywhere with a director who decided to give the middle finger to his fans and I hated it since then.

Ginga Densetsu Weed - sequel to Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, except the animation is awful and I hated the main character over his bullshit never kill people stuff, then proceeds to do it anyways. Also the animation was god awful. The Manga is a lot better.

Kaze no Stigma - heard it was an anime about a magic wind user who has to figure out how to live on his own after being disowned by his family. The magic was boring as all hell and the characters are either cliché tropes to a T or just unlikable edgelords.
Jun 27, 2017 3:30 PM

Jun 2011
CASHMUNYDOLLAZ said:
icchan8 said:

I thought i'd be alone on this, it was so hard for me to finish all 26 episodes. Dropped it 3 times and had to force myself to watch it all the way through. I desperately tried to understand everyone's appreciation for it but I just don't get it.
read the final scenes quotation.

But there is an alternative ending or parallel ending if you want to watch End of Evangelion. Or even the rebuilds. Buuut I still like the first one best.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 27, 2017 3:40 PM

Feb 2017
icchan8 said:

read the final scenes quotation.

But there is an alternative ending or parallel ending if you want to watch End of Evangelion. Or even the rebuilds. Buuut I still like the first one best.

I understood this while watching and completely understood the ending just as you explained. I went through the same revelation as Shinji when I was younger and before I saw the show, so maybe that's why it didn't have any effect on me? Idk. I could appreciate the overall message, just didn't appreciate the show overall.

I appreciate the explanation though :D Looks like I gotta watch End of Evangelion.

EDIT: When I said I didn't get it in the original post, I meant I didn't get what the hype was all about behind the show.
bumbaloJun 27, 2017 3:43 PM
Jun 27, 2017 4:56 PM

Jul 2016
Kimi no Na Wa.- I thought that having a high score in MAL was a good sign, shows like FMAB, Steins Gate, Gintama, Gurren Lagann, Mushishi prove me that.... and I got amazing visuals but a plot that was shit. I hated it more because the first half hour is kinda good and then everything is ruined.
This movie ruined MAL score system to me.

Fairy Tail.- The show is good until Oracion Seis, the Edoras arc it was bland but it had something good in ther but then in Tenrou everything went downhill really fast (The moment when Azuma is defeated is the moment where my faith in this series died).
Jun 27, 2017 5:02 PM
Apr 2017
Seikaisuru Kado. I stopped watching when I realized that it was heading down the road toward horror. I'll still check in for the final episode, just in case.
Jun 27, 2017 5:11 PM
Apr 2017
RealMTL said:
eLDIVE, Same creator as reborn so I was hype. Turned out to be a terrible show. Also Dimension W, it had everything going for it except the plot.

LOL. I love how tastes vary. I think that Dimension W is one of the best of its type. Just rewatched it and enjoyed it as much as the first time.
Jun 27, 2017 5:26 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty much any popular anime that I don't like.
Jun 27, 2017 5:33 PM

Aug 2015
jal90 said:
LightningSoul said:
lots of plot holes T_T as a result

Name a few.

I mean, it's a common thing to say that the movie simplifies the narrative of the manga and focuses on two characters instead of the whole cast like it seems to be in the original source, but I'm still yet to find any of those plot holes. Did anything not make sense narratively speaking to you? Did any leap in logic happen in the movie?

Well if you've read the manga then you should know that each character had a chapter dedicated to further emphasize their development, what the movie did was throw that all into the trash and skip to the bridge scene.

What this resulted to is a lack of focus on the minor characters (e.g. Ueno, Kawai, etc), don't get me wrong KyoAni did a great job (they're my favorite studio) but you simply cannot expect to capture the essence of the manga in a movie that's two hours long.

tl;dr: It felt rushed.
Jun 27, 2017 6:46 PM

Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Ao no Exorcist have some good highlights but still, doesn't justify how shitty the MCs are.

KoolBreeze said:

Nisekoi - this was the show that finally pushed me to my breaking point for these Romance harem anime. It ended pretty much no differently than how it began. Except what made this show worse was the fact that it was 20 eps long. WHAT'S THE PURPOSE OF ROMANCE IF IN THE END IT LEADS TO NOTHING.

To hell with Manga!!! That doesn't make me feel better knowing I just wasted hours of my free time watching a story that ended with no conclusion.
Jun 27, 2017 6:50 PM

Oct 2014
"So what are the anime that you thought you gonna like but it didn't turn out like you expected ?"

That's the key word: unexpected. Things like Endless Eight I knew about before going in so hating it wasn't unexpected. For unexpected hate really only a couple of shows for me (and a few more that were unexpected disappointments (hate being too strong a word)):

Clannad -- Saw the ratings: major surprise at how horrible it was. Seriously boring, terrible narrative structure (VN arcs), sleep inducing pastel colors, bug-eyes. Only the Kotomi arc salvaged it enough for a 3 score.

Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season -- 1st season I scored a 9 making it a top 3 romance. However, the 2nd season the characters were let down horribly with the most unbelievable misunderstandings imaginable. Overall it recovered to a 5 score but I sooo hated the ridiculous misunderstandings parts.

The unexpected disappointments:

Aria the Animation and the first 2/3rds of Aria the Natural -- For a title that the so-called elites tout it was pretty darn boring with (and I'm being charitable here) extremely uninspired writing. Characters were good, music was good but it took me weeks and weeks to finish Natural. Thankfully the last bit of Natural did get better and the installments after Natural (Arietta, Origination, Avvenire) I scored all 8's, so the franchise eventually came around -- whether it was worth the slow slog getting to that point is a good question.

Spice and Wolf -- Aside from Holo and some cute dialog there was very little to keep me engaged. Zzzzzz sums it up. Finished but scored 5, meh.

Honey and Clover -- Even more boring. So boring that I put it on hold twice and eventually gave up on it altogether. Dropped after 9, scored 5 (meh).

NHK -- Dropped after 5 out of total indifference. Nothing was happening and I run out of patience. Scored 5, (meh).

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun -- Dropped after 5 as none of the mc's interested me and the humor was bleh. Scored 5 (meh).
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Jun 27, 2017 6:54 PM
Jul 2018
Konosuba, Mirai Nikki, Madoka Magica, and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso come to mind.

I loved their first couple of episodes but as it went on, nope.
Jun 27, 2017 7:11 PM

Feb 2015
KoolBreeze said:
_Ako_ said:

To hell with Manga!!! That doesn't make me feel better knowing I just wasted hours of my free time watching a story that ended with no conclusion.

The manga have the conclusion you're dying to see.
Jun 27, 2017 7:21 PM

Feb 2012
I will cheat a lot with most answers because some of "liked", "unexpectedly" or "hating" aren't actually the case. Here goes:

Attack on Titan:
This one is pretty funny. I was actually amazed that the righteous spirited MC
I was maybe too naive, because it took me by surprise, thought the producer, or in truth the writer of the manga, had the guts to make this unconventional decision. The "despair" aspect of the show skyrocketed and corresponded with how bad the Titans were described in the premises. Then, in the next episode

I was "Unexpectedly" disappointed, though I didn't end up hating the show for it.

Evangelion
For a brief moment, I didn't understand why some people stated this show, but I remembered something I completely erased from my memory. That's right, the atrocious ending. I remember, when finishing the series with that "WTH" ending, I was so disappointed, but I still had one last hope: the movie sequel. That movie would be the savior, would totally ignore whatever happened in the last 2 episodes and make a real closure that would make us satisfied with this series as a whole, right? The movie ended up being one hell of a closure... by destroying everything you liked of the series, and rather have no closure at all. That's when I decided to erase the ending of my memory.

Yes, I unexpectedly HATED the ending, not the entire show though.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
That's right, I just hated the show. I cheat for this one because I never really "liked" this show in the first place. The "Unexpected" part comes from before I started this show because it was recommended by a friend saying it was "badass". All I saw was some kid with no experience at all piloting a mech easily beat some badass cold blooded trained pilot with the power of will and love. No really, I thought it was a joke. I even talked to a friend who loved the show about it. When I asked him what he liked about it, he told me "man there's a mech that is bigger than a galaxy, A GALAXY!!". I was like "Yeah, my mech is as big as a universe... no the multi-multiverse so that makes my make so many times more cooler.

In retrospect, with nostalgia, I feel like this show wasn't that horrible. One thing for sure, I despised it so much back then.
MasterHooverJun 27, 2017 7:36 PM
Jun 27, 2017 7:34 PM
May 2015
Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Seneki

it has an interesting concept but absolute shit writing and crybaby main character
Jun 28, 2017 12:44 AM

Jul 2013
Maragion said:
Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Seneki

it has an interesting concept but absolute shit writing and crybaby main character
Holy fuck, I totally forgot about Chaos Dragon. It was so bad my mind erased any trace of it existence from my memories.
Jun 28, 2017 12:48 AM

May 2012
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Orange. It was very disappointing. I mean. I really don't HATE it even as much as I feel I should. I do feel relatively betrayed by it... even though I should have known how it would be on episode 1. I kinda go back and say "yes, there were signs it was going to be shit for me" especially with time travel elements. It is just not something I like. The time travel wasn't so much the issue, it was the romance itself. I really wish there was none of that...

It was just a total turnoff as someone who actually went through things like that.

Yeah, I agree. I unpleasantly surprised by the romance in that show. I think its better as a story about friendship tbh
Jun 28, 2017 1:15 AM

Nov 2016
Nostalgik said:
Oh my....

Plastic Memories and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.

I mean I dont HATE them but they were both very well regarded for being great tear jerkers (I love AnoHana and Clannad) and ended up being very poor shows to me

I agree with you that they aren't the tearjerkers everyone mention, people tend to exaggerate. That comes from someone who even like both shows.
However that's normal when your expectations were in another direction, it could destroy the show for you even if normally you would like it.
That's why I try avoiding reading opinions about anime or reviews before watching a show, praise is just enough.
Jun 28, 2017 1:42 AM

Jun 2011
MasterHoover said:
I will cheat a lot with most answers because some of "liked", "unexpectedly" or "hating" aren't actually the case. Here goes:

Attack on Titan:
This one is pretty funny. I was actually amazed that the righteous spirited MC
I was maybe too naive, because it took me by surprise, thought the producer, or in truth the writer of the manga, had the guts to make this unconventional decision. The "despair" aspect of the show skyrocketed and corresponded with how bad the Titans were described in the premises. Then, in the next episode

I was "Unexpectedly" disappointed, though I didn't end up hating the show for it.

Evangelion
For a brief moment, I didn't understand why some people stated this show, but I remembered something I completely erased from my memory. That's right, the atrocious ending. I remember, when finishing the series with that "WTH" ending, I was so disappointed, but I still had one last hope: the movie sequel. That movie would be the savior, would totally ignore whatever happened in the last 2 episodes and make a real closure that would make us satisfied with this series as a whole, right? The movie ended up being one hell of a closure... by destroying everything you liked of the series, and rather have no closure at all. That's when I decided to erase the ending of my memory.

Yes, I unexpectedly HATED the ending, not the entire show though.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
That's right, I just hated the show. I cheat for this one because I never really "liked" this show in the first place. The "Unexpected" part comes from before I started this show because it was recommended by a friend saying it was "badass". All I saw was some kid with no experience at all piloting a mech easily beat some badass cold blooded trained pilot with the power of will and love. No really, I thought it was a joke. I even talked to a friend who loved the show about it. When I asked him what he liked about it, he told me "man there's a mech that is bigger than a galaxy, A GALAXY!!". I was like "Yeah, my mech is as big as a universe... no the multi-multiverse so that makes my make so many times more cooler.

In retrospect, with nostalgia, I feel like this show wasn't that horrible. One thing for sure, I despised it so much back then.

I am an Evangelion Fan. I do not like EOE either. I do like the manga though. Mostly for expanding what needed to expand. (episode 24) There is so much that wasn't explained about those times because well... they just didn't have time and also 90's.

I actually do adore the original ending though. But I think it is because of the reasons I was watching Neon Genesis in the first place. Not for an action mecha. But for well a psychological anime which actually focuses on psychological disorders.

But yes, I agree. EOE kinda is about a spectacle of pretty animation and shock value? Which is fine and all. I enjoy how pretty everything is. I think there is just a huge diff between Eva and Shock anime.
Energetic-NovaJun 28, 2017 1:48 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 28, 2017 4:33 AM

Jun 2015
The two Danganronpa 3 Anime.I really love the games and I was looking forward to the anime which should have told a good conclusion for the story but instead I got nothing but bad Fanservice and a story that doesn't make any sense.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

158 by SeleneOnTheMoon »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 3 hours ago

12 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » slut vs prude waifus

deg - Yesterday

30 by LoveLikeBlood »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 9 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

» What animes/manga where you suprised where made by the same creator?

Lol1268 - 11 hours ago

20 by APolygons2 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.