Forum Settings
Forums

The few times anime came close to being comparable to western series

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 23, 2017 6:16 PM

Feb 2015
Is there a western series with as many fappable lolis like Is Order A Rabbit?

Jun 23, 2017 6:36 PM

Feb 2016
eww there're real people in those western shit that's disgusting
Jun 23, 2017 6:37 PM
Jul 2018
Even worse Anime is never as worse as western stuff.
Jun 23, 2017 6:38 PM
EcchiConnoisser

May 2016
I'm 47 and haven't touched more than 3 western LA series since the 80's. Currently at 516 anime series and don't care for your condescending tone about the quality of my favorite source of media. Whether you like clams or oysters , you are right as am I.
Jun 23, 2017 6:45 PM

Dec 2015
Movies = Literature > Anime > TV Series (except Twin Peaks and The Wire, cause that's some good stuff)
Jun 23, 2017 6:45 PM

Jun 2013
Yeah i was going to reply before i saw that you are someone who cant handle anyone else's opinions.

Dont Compare Western Series to anime.... they are two completely different things made by two completely different cultures.

I like a few TV series but most of them i dont find too appealing, its much easier for me to find an interesting sounding anime than it is for me to find an interesting tv series.
Jun 23, 2017 6:52 PM

Jun 2017
What's up with the title of this post?

Imo anime has succeeded western TV numerous times. It's not right to say even the best is "close to comparable".

If you're really curious about how anime stacks up to Western TV, just sort anime by ratings and do/watch some analysis on it.
Jun 23, 2017 7:02 PM

Apr 2015
Erased, Monster, and Steins;Gate are the closest imo.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 23, 2017 7:12 PM

Aug 2015
Four words: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.
Jun 23, 2017 7:37 PM

Oct 2013
On_the_Lam said:
What's the point of that list?
The point of the list was just to show what I like and that I consider anime and live action to be of the same quality
Jun 23, 2017 7:40 PM
Aug 2015
SakurasouBusters said:
Yeah i was going to reply before i saw that you are someone who cant handle anyone else's opinions.

Dont Compare Western Series to anime.... they are two completely different things made by two completely different cultures.

I like a few TV series but most of them i dont find too appealing, its much easier for me to find an interesting sounding anime than it is for me to find an interesting tv series.

Oh, I can handle someone else's opinion. What I can't handle is a weak opinion. I'm well aware they're two different things, but how is it that great anime films can be compared to great live-action ones, while series just pale in comparison or completely fall flat? You'd be surprised about how even people who loathe anime will tell you how much they love Ghibli films, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Satoshi Kon films among others, and how much they wish these films weren't labeled as "anime".

Deknijff said:
On_the_Lam said:
What's the point of that list?
The point of the list was just to show what I like and that I consider anime and live action to be of the same quality

Well, it's pretty obvious you don't watch good live-action shows, which is why you prefer anime series in the first place. Not trying to sound like a cunt, but I prefer to be blunt here.
archaaiJun 23, 2017 7:43 PM
Jun 23, 2017 7:47 PM

Oct 2013
On_the_Lam said:
Well, it's pretty obvious you don't watch good live-action shows, which is why you prefer anime series in the first place. Not trying to sound like a cunt, but I prefer to be blunt here.
eh yeah Oreimo so yes really
and what exactly is wrong with the live action shows I like then if I apparently don't watch good shows?
Im very interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter
Jun 23, 2017 7:59 PM

Apr 2015
On_the_Lam said:
CatSoul said:
Erased, Monster, and Steins;Gate are the closest imo.

Erased is good in its first 4 episodes, but what happens beyond those four episodes is absolutely insulting.

Exactly! Just like a lot of Western dramas.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 23, 2017 8:02 PM

Jun 2015
So after reading through all this, it appears my prediction was correct. What were the odds?

Ah well, at least @Pullman gave a decent answer to the topic. So I guess that's the closest to a legitimate discussion we'll get in this thread.
Jun 23, 2017 8:11 PM

Apr 2017
gabrielrroiz said:
i could name a dozen shows that are way bette than those supposed superior tv series you are taking off
like really western television is in no way better than anime,when people talk about it they never mention how most of it are just mediocre crime dramas,or or episodic comedies
also really popular tv series tend to be good?
what about shit like sherlock,13 reasons why or black mirror those do not count for some reason?

Agreed. Watched some tv stuff in the past but it just feels all the same. They don't seem to ever take risks and do something unique. Meanwhile, anime, the good titles, tend to have new concepts or start new trends. Anime characters also generally dress better than live action actors. You can also never fluently achieve Utena's level of symbolism or Gundam's level of hi-tech warfare with live action. The few I've seen movies try, it often feels cheap, like Avatar's photoshop of planet Jupiter.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Jun 23, 2017 8:14 PM

Mar 2017
If you compare:

Psycho Pass

Vs

iRobot (Will smith movie)

There is a clear winner here.
Jun 23, 2017 8:15 PM

Oct 2015
i dont watch western tv series so no contribution from me, like only real western tv series i fully watched was south park (awesome, legit best comedy i seen =/ too much of their bits saved in my yt)
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jun 23, 2017 8:20 PM

Oct 2014
SongstressSL said:
gabrielrroiz said:
i could name a dozen shows that are way bette than those supposed superior tv series you are taking off
like really western television is in no way better than anime,when people talk about it they never mention how most of it are just mediocre crime dramas,or or episodic comedies
also really popular tv series tend to be good?
what about shit like sherlock,13 reasons why or black mirror those do not count for some reason?

Agreed. Watched some tv stuff in the past but it just feels all the same. They don't seem to ever take risks and do something unique. Meanwhile, anime, the good titles, tend to have new concepts or start new trends. Anime characters also generally dress better than live action actors. You can also never fluently achieve Utena's level of symbolism or Gundam's level of hi-tech warfare with live action. The few I've seen movies try, it often feels cheap, like Avatar's photoshop of planet Jupiter.

like i could understand if people were arguing on purely a technical level of this superiority of western tv,those usually have way more money involved in its production and are kind of better put together on a technical level
but when it comes to as you said taking risks and trying all this widely different and interesting ideas anime is way better in that regard and that is probably my biggest reason to love themedium so much
Jun 23, 2017 8:24 PM

Jun 2015
anime doesn't have Rick and Morty which is a shame. the closest thing to this is trigger stuff.

But yeah, Fate/Zero and Steins;Gate is something that west cannot hope to achieve
ok :p
Jun 23, 2017 8:29 PM

Jun 2016
As someone that started Watching Anime just last year after calling it crap and watching only tv series from the West for 8 years now, Such as all Seasons of 24hours, Supernatural, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul...

House Of Cards, Lost, Arrow/Flash and a few others, I Actually admit that after watching some Anime last year I can say that I loved the Animes way more for some reason, They just feel more entertaining, Fun and Epic (a word i never used for tv shows), it feels like they are more creative and Interesting and that they can do things that Tv shows cannot.

I also tried to get into the Romance type of tv shows and couldnt get into them but for some reason I can get into the Romance type of anime and love them.

So i guess that the real good tv shows can beat like 90% of all anime in MAL but the Insanely good animes can beat the best of tv shows. (at least the ones I watched and Im still watching).
sorry for my Venezuela English lol.
Jun 23, 2017 8:56 PM

Nov 2012
Western TV shows are filled to the brim with dull filler dialogue and mundane settings designed to pad each episode out to the 1-hour mark while minimizing cost on special effects, stunt work, and meaningful progression. As a result, the premise of most shows ends up being something really boring and they have to be carried almost exclusively by strong character drama, not by the concept of the show itself being something inherently interesting to explore. Sure stuff like Game of Thrones has some really high points when you finally get around to them, but because there's so much of this aforementioned bloat to contend with, I find all of them completely lacking in rewatch value. Anime often isn't as technically refined with its character drama, but it does explore a much wider range of subject matter and settings (at least when it's not doing another god damn high school anime) as well as cuts out all the fat that is grossly prevalent in much of western television, which makes it a lot more digestible to watch.

Also it's interesting that we're really only talking about live action shows post-2008. Prior to 2008 there was no Breaking Bad, no Netflix original series, and no Game of Thrones. It's really only been a relatively recent phenomenon that western television has bothered to even attempt quality storytelling with continuous story arcs that build from one episode to the next, along with any kind of budget to attempt things beyond just another crime or medical drama. Prior to 2008, shows were overwhelmingly episodic with characters and plot points hitting the reset button at the end of each episode. Generally speaking, pre-2008 anime was pretty much better across the board and already had shows like FMA 2003, Gundam 00, Death Note, Black Lagoon, Big O, Berserk, Robotech, Blue Gender, LOGH, and so on. Meanwhile western television had... I guess the Battlestar Galactica 2004 reboot was out by then at least? But the last season sent that show down the shitter. The Star Trek 90s shows were pretty decent I guess, but still suffer from many of the aforementioned problems above. Now anime has some catching up to do with western character development, but western television has definitely never had this overwhelming edge over anime as some seem to perceive.
OmegaSietsJun 23, 2017 8:59 PM
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jun 23, 2017 9:01 PM

May 2012
OmegaSiets said:
Western TV shows are filled to the brim with dull filler dialogue and mundane settings designed to pad each episode out to the 1-hour mark while minimizing cost on special effects, stunt work, and meaningful progression. As a result, the premise of most shows ends up being something really boring and they have to be carried almost exclusively by strong character drama, not by the concept of the show itself being something inherently interesting to explore. Sure stuff like Game of Thrones has some really high points when you finally get around to them, but because there's so much of this aforementioned bloat to contend with, I find all of them completely lacking in rewatch value. Anime often isn't as technically refined with its character drama, but it does explore a much wider range of subject matter and settings (at least when it's not doing another god damn high school anime) as well as cuts out all the fat that is grossly prevalent in much of western television, which makes it a lot more digestible to watch.

Also it's interesting that we're really only talking about live action shows post-2008. Prior to 2008 there was no Breaking Bad, no Netflix original series, and no Game of Thrones. It's really only been a relatively recent phenomenon that western television has bothered to even attempt quality storytelling with continuous story arcs that build from one episode to the next, along with any kind of budget to attempt things beyond just another crime or medical drama. Prior to 2008, shows were overwhelmingly episodic with characters and plot points hitting the reset button at the end of each episode. Generally speaking, pre-2008 anime was pretty much better across the board and already had shows like FMA 2003, Gundam 00, Death Note, Black Lagoon, Big O, Berserk, Robotech, Blue Gender, LOGH, and so on. Meanwhile western television had... I guess the Battlestar Galactica 2004 reboot was out by then at least? But the last season sent that show down the shitter. The Star Trek 90s shows were pretty decent I guess, but still suffer from many of the aforementioned problems above. Now anime has some catching up to do with western character development, but western television has definitely never had this overwhelming edge over anime as some seem to perceive.

The Wire and Twin Peaks were very good shows. Don't doubt that.
Jun 23, 2017 9:08 PM

Jan 2015
Intelligenza said:
gabrielrroiz said:

Nichijou is way better
Best way to waste animation budget is that

South Park crushes Nichijou when it comes to comedy.

Agreed. I must be lacking a sense of humor or something but I don't find nichijou funny. Could say the same for excel saga, lucky star, azumanga daioh, etc. Daily lives of hs boys and konosuba are another story though

@ op, not sure why a comparison is being made between cartoons and series with actual actors in it, wouldn't it make more sense to compare eastern live action and western live action?

Also, GoT is great, it's the only live action series I watch, so hyped for upcoming season
Jun 23, 2017 9:09 PM

Aug 2013
dawnangel14 said:
Just like in anime, you have a bunch of shows that are terrible. Pretty Little Liars, Arrow…
Arrow and Pretty Little Liars are better than a lot of anime.

Give me a scene like this in anime.

"You tell me Oliver, you tell me".

"Confess Oliver."

"I WANTED TO AND I LIKED IT............

Fucking savage villain.

Pretty Little Liars has great character development imo especially for Emily, Alison, Caleb.
DrGeroCreationJun 23, 2017 10:42 PM
Jun 23, 2017 9:28 PM

Aug 2008
So far Game of Thornes>all other anime
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jun 23, 2017 9:32 PM
Apr 2012
On_the_Lam said:
What anime series do you believe can be comparable to well-written live-action western TV series, such as Westworld, House of Cards and Game of Thrones (when it actually cares about its audience).

Why are popular anime series bound to be garbage more often than not, while popular western live-action TV series often turn out great?

There are plenty great anime and western tv series. Having a glance at your list it seems you haven't even watched all that may good anime to have such a critical opinion. Stop complaining in forums and try to spend your free time watching/reading.

Also westworld is mediocre. You just can't mention it next to game of thrones.
Spontaneous_MEJun 23, 2017 9:37 PM
Jun 24, 2017 7:44 AM
Aug 2015
CatSoul said:
On_the_Lam said:

Erased is good in its first 4 episodes, but what happens beyond those four episodes is absolutely insulting.

Except Western dramas don't become terrible after only four episodes.

m3nd3r_ said:
If you compare:

Psycho Pass

Vs

Yes, let's compare a 22 episode series with a 2 hour movie.

AltoRoark said:
So after reading through all this, it appears my prediction was correct. What were the odds?

You might have to be more blunt than that.
archaaiJun 24, 2017 7:49 AM
Jun 24, 2017 7:48 AM

Mar 2017
On_the_Lam said:
CatSoul said:

Except Western dramas don't become terrible after only four episodes.

m3nd3r_ said:
If you compare:

Psycho Pass

Vs

Yes, let's compare a 22 episode series with a 2 hour movie.

I compared the two since the genre and storyline premise is similar. Length doesn't matter to someone like me since I binge watch everything anyway.
Jun 24, 2017 7:50 AM

Aug 2010
Sorry, I tried watching Westworld, but it was only about killing peeps (or not so peeps) and sex, so it didn't pique my interest, with its oh so deep storyline, sorry.

As for Game of thrones, I was (pastime, next book comes out, I'll return being one) a huge ASOIAF fan, and I was constantly let down by the shitty TV series, in which they had to put political correct characters (making some of them homo, although they were not in the books) and so on. Not like I have a problem with them, it's just I hate when an adaptation doesn't follow the original.

I saw some series lately, but they were basically all following this formula, violence and sex, and call me a prude, but I am not entertained by such vulgar content.

Although I like western movies, as everyone else, I'm a frequent cinemagoer, and I like older western movies too, especially whodunits and mysetries.

But I can't, from the bottom of my heart, call western series, as of they are right now, better than anime.
Jun 24, 2017 7:58 AM
Aug 2015
OmegaSiets said:

Also it's interesting that we're really only talking about live action shows post-2008. Prior to 2008 there was no Breaking Bad, no Netflix original series, and no Game of Thrones. It's really only been a relatively recent phenomenon that western television has bothered to even attempt quality storytelling with continuous story arcs that build from one episode to the next, along with any kind of budget to attempt things beyond just another crime or medical drama.

That's because the medium learned from its mistakes and decided to grow. The complete opposite occurred to anime.
Jun 24, 2017 8:09 AM
Aug 2015
oryouohagi said:
I saw some series lately, but they were basically all following this formula, violence and sex, and call me a prude, but I am not entertained by such vulgar content.

What you're entertained by is not my problem, but do you want me to ignore Higurashi being in your favorites list? Sex and violence is prominent in basically every TV-MA series for sure, but they rarely follow a formula on a writing standpoint. In anime produced in the last decade, you get the same recycled themes executed in the same recycled way and what's more bothersome is the lazy dialogue. Are there any memorable quotes from your favorite anime series?

oryouohagi said:
Sorry, I tried watching Westworld, but it was only about killing peeps (or not so peeps) and sex, so it didn't pique my interest, with its oh so deep storyline, sorry.

Although I like western movies, as everyone else, I'm a frequent cinemagoer, and I like older western movies too, especially whodunits and mysetries..

If that's what you got out of watching Westworld, then I don't even know what to say.

Oddly enough, newly produced American films are almost like the equivalent of anime series these days.

Zapredon said:
So far Game of Thornes>all other anime

I don't think so.
Jun 24, 2017 8:20 AM

Aug 2010
On_the_Lam said:
[
What you're entertained by is not my problem, but do you want me to ignore Higurashi being in your favorites list? Sex and violence is prominent in basically every TV-MA series for sure, but they rarely follow a formula on a writing standpoint. In anime produced in the last decade, you get the same recycled themes executed in the same recycled way and what's more bothersome is the lazy dialogue. Are there any memorable quotes from your favorite anime series?

I'm not going to say it's not bloody, but it's not only there for shits and giggles, like most of the time in GOT, but because it's the main plotline, that characters die in an ugly fashion.
And what I like IS the problem, as I am part of the AUDIENCE, thus I judge the show by my on will.

oryouohagi said:

Although I like western movies, as everyone else, I'm a frequent cinemagoer, and I like older western movies too, especially whodunits and mysetries..
If that's what you got out of watching Westworld, then I don't even know what to say.

Oddly enough, newly produced American films are almost like the equivalent of anime series these days.

But I see you are highly biased for some reason when it comes to western series. I think western movies are good, but you seem to dislike them, just like with anime.

As for westworld, please, don't even try to see some deeper meaning into it, it was made on the exact same formula GOT used to get viewers watch the show.

I mean, probably not even half of its fanbase would have picked it up, if not for the gore and the sex themes, let's be honest with ourselves.
And if you are in the know with YA books, in the last decade there were dozens of books mildly similar to the main struggle in Westworld, without the sexual and gore themes of course. YA Dystopia became a whole new genre lately.
Just to assure you, I'm not biased against western series as a whole, I really loved Breaking Bad and the first seasons of Walking dead (became too bland) as well as the Fringe series and Arrow.

I'm also guilty of watching "Shameless", well, only about 3 seasons of it, and I really enjoyed it, so I don't think I'm especially against sexual themes, but who knows.
Jun 24, 2017 8:47 AM
Aug 2015
oryouohagi said:

But I see you are highly biased for some reason when it comes to western series.

There is literally no bias, since I've watched only very few American TV series, which I've been recommended, of course.

As for westworld, please, don't even try to see some deeper meaning into it, it was made on the exact same formula GOT used to get viewers watch the show.

And if you are in the know with YA books, in the last decade there were dozens of books mildly similar to the main struggle in Westworld, without the sexual and gore themes of course. YA Dystopia became a whole new genre lately.

I'm under the impression you haven't watched past the first episode. You don't get a deeper meaning by watching 1/10th of a series, and the Westworld's first episode is quite intriguing for a pilot. If it is going to explore "what it means to be human", then do you expect the show not to depict violence and sex? That's the beauty of cable shows in the first place. Meanwhile, even those few anime that try to bite more than they can chew often get heavily censored.

Also, Westworld is definitely not young adult material, neither is it a dystopia.

I mean, probably not even half of its fanbase would have picked it up, if not for the gore and the sex themes, let's be honest with ourselves.

If you're talking about Game of Thrones, then doesn't you make you guilty of it as well? You have watched 50 hours of a series that gradually worsened, and read 5 books with over 500 pages each, which also gradually went to shit.
Jun 24, 2017 8:56 AM

Mar 2017
HANZ, GRAB ZE SALZSTREUER!!!

Ho boy, what a shitstorm. Sturgeon's Law still holds true though.

What bothers me is the fervor in responses as if the need for comparisons of different mediums of storytelling implies that enjoyment of each are mutually exclusive. Let me tell you, they are not. I watch the best of animated series, the best of films, the best of live action series, and I read the best of what books has to offer. I never really find the need to bitch about the shortcomings of one medium because I'm not overly invested in just one.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jun 24, 2017 9:04 AM

Mar 2017
On_the_Lam said:

If you're talking about Game of Thrones, then doesn't you make you guilty of it as well? You have watched 50 hours of a series that gradually worsened, and read 5 books with over 500 pages each, which also gradually went to shit.

Somebody's not into the in-depth analysis of the various sites such as Tower of the Hand, that proves very much that the 4th and 5th book of the series are still capable going toe-to-toe with the first three.
Jun 24, 2017 9:15 AM
Jan 2017
Death note and monster are definitely way better than those tons of crime thriller american shows.
Jun 24, 2017 9:17 AM

Aug 2010
On_the_Lam said:
oryouohagi said:

But I see you are highly biased for some reason when it comes to western series.

There is literally no bias, since I've watched only very few American TV series, which I've been recommended, of course.

I'm under the impression you haven't watched past the first episode. You don't get a deeper meaning by watching 1/10th of a series, and the Westworld's first episode is quite intriguing for a pilot. If it is going to explore "what it means to be human", then do you expect the show not to depict violence and sex? That's the beauty of cable shows in the first place. Meanwhile, even those few anime that try to bite more than they can chew often get heavily censored.

Also, Westworld is definitely not young adult material, neither is it a dystopia.

I've only watched 4 seasons of GOT, and yes, I'm guilty, but I just loved the books so much, and needed more.

As for westworld, I saw a couple of episodes while it was airing, I can't really remember, as I watched it with my friends, so I didn't write up anywhere where I was with it, but for me, it worsened from episode to episode sadly.

Sorry, there are more viewer friendly ways to depict what it means to be human, unless you think like Freud.

And yes, it is a dystopia, with a capital D.

Jun 24, 2017 9:18 AM

Nov 2014
Where's the Anime version of Mr.Robot?????
Jun 24, 2017 9:24 AM
Aug 2015
oryouohagi said:
On_the_Lam said:

I've only watched 4 seasons of GOT, and yes, I'm guilty, but I just loved the books so much, and needed more.

As for westworld, I saw a couple of episodes while it was airing, I can't really remember, as I watched it with my friends, so I didn't write up anywhere where I was with it, but for me, it worsened from episode to episode sadly.

Sorry, there are more viewer friendly ways to depict what it means to be human, unless you think like Freud.

And yes, it is a dystopia, with a capital D.

I prefer things be as realistic as possible. How is it a dystopia even? It takes place in the future, yes, but besides the better technology, everything is the same as today.
Jun 24, 2017 9:30 AM

Dec 2012
The number of live action shows that have interested me within the last 5 years is in the single digits. Not exactly comparable to the amount of anime I watch.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 24, 2017 9:37 AM
Aug 2015
Kruszer said:
The number of live action shows that have interested me within the last 5 years is in the single digits.

I can say the same about live-action shows and anime alike. Guess which medium is more likely to disappoint, though.
Jun 24, 2017 9:46 AM

Mar 2017
Kruszer said:
The number of live action shows that have interested me within the last 5 years is in the single digits. Not exactly comparable to the amount of anime I watch.

I believe the question was:

Why are popular anime series bound to be garbage more often than not, while popular western live-action TV series often turn out great?

I fail to see how that relates to what interests you and what doesn't though.
Jun 24, 2017 10:02 AM
Jan 2016
Lemme just say, it all comes down to the people watching the shows and their opinions. Its like Trump vs Anti trump. The argument will never conclude itself because everyone sticks to their own opinion. Anyway, western shows have a greater budget, a immersive atmosphere, an American audience and more attention. Anime has, less budget, a Japanese Audience, less attention, but because of its an animation, more creativity and the ability to express a scene with the way its animated. Theyre pretty different to even compare in my opinion. But comparing the storytelling ability, heres what I think.

Western shows aren't made as frequently as anime. With the vast viewers expecting something great, they have to make a great series thus gets a greater budget, which makes overall more better shows than bad ones. With good acclaims and people wanting more, more seasons can spawn too.

Anime are made more frequently but for a smaller audience thus doesn't get much budget but that makes it so that it can try out new things get more creative. This makes overall, some more bad shows as it didn't work out. Though few shows can become masterpieces as it made the audience see something like never before.

I personally think anime is better, because to be honest, I don't watch much western shows and that would be, 13 reasons why, fringe, stranger things, to name a few. Anime seems to simply suit me better.

For people who say popular anime is overrated and it sucks, not all of them do. Death Note and Steins Gate in my opinion were great. SAO and AOT, meh they were alright. What you guys called overrated series aren't really overrated in my opinion. The rest is just really REALLY underrated.

Also age doesn't matter. Whatever age, person you are opinions differ. Just because youre 14/15 doesn't mean you can't distinguish between a trash and good series. This is entertainment. I think people can distinguish what they liked and didn't like right? People tend to be too over analytic when reviewing stuff these days. Just rate it as I liked it or I didn't or it wasn't as good as something else or something like that. This seasons eromanga sensei. Thats probably what people call mediocre anime. A incest romcom with lucky main character harem ecchi crap n' cringe? What a mess. But was it enjoyable? Hell yeah. Therefore, I think it was great.
Jun 24, 2017 10:08 AM

Mar 2016
AltoRoark said:

Ah well, at least @Pullman gave a decent answer to the topic. So I guess that's the closest to a legitimate discussion we'll get in this thread.

Pullman is always a good source of decent answers.

This thread though is much better overall than I would expect though given the topic
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2017 10:11 AM
Aug 2015
le_halfhand_easy said:
HANZ, GRAB ZE SALZSTREUER!!!

Ho boy, what a shitstorm. Sturgeon's Law still holds true though.

What bothers me is the fervor in responses as if the need for comparisons of different mediums of storytelling implies that enjoyment of each are mutually exclusive. Let me tell you, they are not. I watch the best of animated series, the best of films, the best of live action series, and I read the best of what books has to offer. I never really find the need to bitch about the shortcomings of one medium because I'm not overly invested in just one.

Quality isn't really something subjective. Personally, I prefer watching animation to live-action (my favorite film of all time is animated) so if I'm biased towards one medium, it would be the former.
Jun 24, 2017 10:42 AM

Oct 2015
i mean, if we're comparing apples and oranges, it really depends what i'm in the mood for.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Jun 24, 2017 2:42 PM

Mar 2017
On_the_Lam said:
Quality isn't really something subjective. Personally, I prefer watching animation to live-action (my favorite film of all time is animated) so if I'm biased towards one medium, it would be the former.

Nah, I did not mean you.

30rottenpotatoesfuckityfuckitmal
Jun 24, 2017 3:21 PM

Apr 2016
I'd say One Punch Man and Attack on Titan were both pretty popular and quite comparable to western series due to their artstyle.

It's subjective if you enjoy western series more than anime, though.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

17 by Malkshake »»
6 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
10 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

14 by traed »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

62 by delirific »»
17 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.