Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 22, 2017 7:53 PM

May 2017
This question is kinda two fold. I've never read manga before and I'm starting my journey. I have always been intrigued by this manga called Real. It looks moody and sad and lonely which is right up my alley. Any thoughts?

Anyway MAL has a question mark next to the volume amount. What does this mean? Is this series finished?
I'm a scary and powerful FIRE DEMON!
Jun 22, 2017 8:08 PM

May 2017
TohkaKotori said:
The ? means the series is still ongoing.

Gotcha! Thank you
Jun 25, 2017 1:26 PM
Aug 2016
If the manga have the question mark, it means that it's still airing, and it's not finished.
Jun 25, 2017 6:55 PM
May 2015
Real is quite good and created by one of the most respected comic (not just manga) artists
Jul 6, 2017 9:58 AM

Jun 2017
FireDemon2021 said:
This question is kinda two fold. I've never read manga before and I'm starting my journey. I have always been intrigued by this manga called Real. It looks moody and sad and lonely which is right up my alley. Any thoughts?

Anyway MAL has a question mark next to the volume amount. What does this mean? Is this series finished?

The question mark on either Chapter or Volume does not always indicate it is ongoing. It could mean that it is missing that information, or that information doesn't exist at all.
Example, One-shots. It's just one chapter, so it lists that and a "question mark" on the volume section.
another example is some older manga having a set volume count but no chapter count. You can find these in a lot of Go Nagai's manga like this one https://myanimelist.net/manga/8566/Susanoou
Jul 8, 2017 4:30 AM

Mar 2016
There are 14 volumes out now, it's ongoing. I'm not sure if it's on hiatus or if it's not being translated anymore though.
Jul 9, 2017 8:54 AM

May 2017
Ironclad_Cobra said:
There are 14 volumes out now, it's ongoing. I'm not sure if it's on hiatus or if it's not being translated anymore though.

I hope the latter isn't true. I really wanna check this out!
Jul 9, 2017 9:05 AM

Mar 2016
FireDemon2021 said:
Ironclad_Cobra said:

I hope the latter isn't true. I really wanna check this out!

You should. It's 10/10 for sure, even if it's stopped here.
Jul 9, 2017 9:12 AM

Mar 2009
I've read a lot of manga, and Real is honestly one of the best manga I have ever read. I don't care about sports, but fortunately, Real focuses more on the characters and their thoughts and feelings than the sports (I'd say it has the right amount though, but while in his other sports manga, Slam Dunk, matches will last for literal volumes, it's like 4 chapters max is long, 2 is more normal here).

The only real problem with Real is how slow it's being made. I would've thought Inoue would maybe do it more now that Vagabond is over. The man did Slam Dunk so damn fast too!
Jul 9, 2017 9:18 AM

May 2017
FallnKnightFakir said:
I've read a lot of manga, and Real is honestly one of the best manga I have ever read. I don't care about sports, but fortunately, Real focuses more on the characters and their thoughts and feelings than the sports (I'd say it has the right amount though, but while in his other sports manga, Slam Dunk, matches will last for literal volumes, it's like 4 chapters max is long, 2 is more normal here).

The only real problem with Real is how slow it's being made. I would've thought Inoue would maybe do it more now that Vagabond is over. The man did Slam Dunk so damn fast too!

Should I read Vagabond? I keep seeing it pop up. Not sure if the setting is for me. I kinda of prefer modern realism slice of life.
Jul 9, 2017 10:41 AM

Mar 2016
FallnKnightFakir said:

Vagabond is on hiatus right? Didn't think it ended, but it makes sense if it did, thought it still might have a few chapters left to end it, but you could end it like that I suppose. It's been a while though. @FireDemon2021 read it, overall the best action I've ever seen, including anime, and it's got its realistic slice of life side, too. Makes my top 10, at least.
I wouldn't mind Real's speed if only we were actually getting some. It's a monthly if I remember correctly. If it was a consistent weekly we'd either see a massive drop in quality or he'd need to go full Oda and I don't really want to see Inoe slowly kill himself for it.
Jul 9, 2017 10:44 AM

Mar 2009
FireDemon2021 said:
FallnKnightFakir said:

Should I read Vagabond? I keep seeing it pop up. Not sure if the setting is for me. I kinda of prefer modern realism slice of life.

honestly, Vagabond didn't do it for me. I'm not a fan of those sorts of settings either, honestly. I feel like I don't know enough basic Japanese history to fully enjoy those sorts of settings, if that makes sense. But it is very well loved, so at least consider giving it a shot I suppose.

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
7 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
9 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.