Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 21, 2017 6:47 PM

Oct 2015
I'd like to just hear people's opinions on this. When a popular show finishes you tend to see the score skyrocket since many people only score the show after it finishes, and it being more or less around the same score as it is airing. (exceptions are garbage-tier anime like Rokudenashi or weak ones like Masamune's Revenge)

Attack on Titan 1's score is at 8.52
Attack on Titan 2 got up to 8.72, then kept dropping and is finally hitting 8.6 after it finished airing.

Boku no Hero 1 has a not-that-mindblowing 8.37, however its second season, which to be honest is so far nothing compared to the first imo, jumped to a ridiculously high 8.77 in the middle of its runtime. And I'm positive that it will be one of the cases where the score will go even higher after it finishes airing.

Not hating or wanting to start a pointless war of AoT vs BnH, just finding these quite drastically different receptions by the overall community very weird and, in a way, interesting to talk about.
Jun 21, 2017 7:18 PM

Apr 2013
I guess it's hard for people to rate this season much higher than the first one when it's got half the episodes (even if from what I've seen the general reception of this arc has been great).
Boku no Hero is probably benefiting from having double the episodes of season 1 and that tournament arc hype.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jun 21, 2017 7:23 PM

Oct 2015
geralt said:
I guess it's hard for people to rate this season much higher than the first one when it's got half the episodes (even if from what I've seen the general reception of this arc has been great).
Boku no Hero is probably benefiting from having double the episodes of season 1 and that tournament arc hype.
That definitely makes sense... and I guess many people were "oh, so disappointed, because this season is full of chitchat compared to the first one". Yup, I can totally see that. A tournament arc, regardless of how standard it is, is the staple of hype in shounen, so it does make sense for people to lose their shit over it.
Jun 21, 2017 7:33 PM

Oct 2013
Not getting much answers, cgi collosal titan, 12 episode.

Those are the main factors imo, but if season 3 is 2 cour, then I am expecting it to do well. Since this would be the season where almost everything is answered, and there are some very cool scenes imo.

Having this season be 12 episode may be a blessing in disguise, that is only if s3 is 2 cour, which seem like the case, but no confirmation yet. If s3 turns out to be 1 cour, its going to do even worst than this season, since the majority of snk fanbase likes it for the action mostly.
keragammingJun 21, 2017 7:38 PM
Jun 21, 2017 7:37 PM

Oct 2015
keragamming said:

Those are the main factors imo, but if season 3 is 2 cour, then I am expecting it to do well. Since this would be the season where almost everything is answered, and there are some very cool scenes imo.

Having this season be 12 episode may be a blessing in disguise, that is only if s3 is 2 cour, which seem like the case, but no confirmation yet.
It would save the damn day if season 3 was 2 cour, but something tells me that's unfortunately not the case... Still, fingers crossed.

And yeah, lol, you just reminded me of the Colossal Titan x) That's definitely something to consider. And well, we did get the biggest answer of all: what titans are and how they get turned into humans again. Maybe some people just didn't catch that or something ._.
Jun 21, 2017 7:40 PM

Oct 2013
Nostalgik said:
keragamming said:

Having this season be 12 episode may be a blessing in disguise, that is only if s3 is 2 cour, which seem like the case, but no confirmation yet.
It would save the damn day if season 3 was 2 cour, but something tells me that's unfortunately not the case... Still, fingers crossed.

And yeah, lol, you just reminded me of the Colossal Titan x) That's definitely something to consider. And well, we did get the biggest answer of all: what titans are and how they get turned into humans again. Maybe some people just didn't catch that or something ._.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8EVptqU6zE the s3 teaser is telling me that they are going to adapt up to volume 22, if not, this teaser for s3 is very misleading.
Jun 21, 2017 7:44 PM

Oct 2015
keragamming said:
Nostalgik said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8EVptqU6zE the s3 teaser is telling me that they are going to adapt up to volume 22, if not, this teaser for s3 is very misleading.
OH HECK! How come I didn't notice it! Hope restored!\o/
Jun 22, 2017 10:11 AM

Mar 2016
I noticed that too... And I think it's not really that fair!
My Hero Academia Second Season seems that is a little bit overrated...
C'mon, 8.77? If we only compare 12 to 12 episodes of both animes, that's a little bit too much just for a tournament arc which focus only in character development (even if the only ones who developed were Uraraka and Todoroki (Bakugo a little bit too)) but Attack on Titan had that too with a lot of side characters! Ok that the animation is much much better, but so is the animation of Attack on Titan (only as some inconsistences and that CG (but that's easely overlooked));
Besides, there's no doubt that Attack on Titan has, probably, some of the best OSTs of all time and they are very well used by the studio (the new OSTs were amazing http://i.imgur.com/iNuBBOU.jpg), when in My Hero Academia, which has very good OSTs but for the second season they didn't bring nothing knew, they seem a bit forced... They're there to fill the background and noting more and that actually irritates me (pay attencion and you'll notice that)...
And overall, my enjoyment for Attack on Titan was far superior the was for My Hero Academia in every aspect single aspect, so I think that an 8.77 is too much for a second season which had almost nothing new to entertain the viewers...

When the second part starts, that will be nice... There, an 8.77 will make sense but for know it doesn't! But so an higher score for Attack on Titan does (Season 2 >> Season 1)!!!

keragamming said:

Having this season be 12 episode may be a blessing in disguise, that is only if s3 is 2 cour, which seem like the case, but no confirmation yet. If s3 turns out to be 1 cour, its going to do even worst than this season, since the majority of snk fanbase likes it for the action mostly.
That's correct... 12 episodes for one of the HYPEST anime of all time is not satisying after 4 years of wait (I only waited 1.5 years :D) and if season 3 is only 12 episodes (what I doubt because of the teaser - It's 40+ chapters...), then people will hate it because they will only get answers and no action (which is the contrary of this season)!
azertz99Jun 22, 2017 10:14 AM
Jun 22, 2017 12:21 PM
Aug 2012
Oh well, at least the manga for AOT is higher than the manga for my hero academia. How about you check the actual stats, to see how many people gave an 8 to the ones that gave a 8 in the My hero academia. Scratch that 30,000 people gave it an 8 in AOT, while 14000 gave it an 8 in MHA. So, I guess you can do the math.
Jun 22, 2017 12:48 PM

Mar 2016
GodofWar2015 said:
Oh well, at least the manga for AOT is higher than the manga for my hero academia. How about you check the actual stats, to see how many people gave an 8 to the ones that gave a 8 in the My hero academia. Scratch that 30,000 people gave it an 8 in AOT, while 14000 gave it an 8 in MHA. So, I guess you can do the math.
Yeah... -.-
There's less people in the My Hero Academia "fandom" and big part of them gives and 8 or 8+ to the second season (which is an exagerated)...

The manga is only higher for 0.01 point 😬😬😬😬
Jun 22, 2017 2:06 PM

Feb 2017
MHA season 2 is a lot better than the first season. Not that the first season wasn't adapted as well, it was just mostly exposition and slow character building. Its also worth noting that it just recently had some amazing episodes so its not surprising that it shot up pretty quickly. As for AoT, I personally hate it as a series but even I will give it some points to the first season for the first few episodes, season 2 not so much. Not a whole lot really happened and as a whole it was pretty underwhelming. It initially had a high score because a lot of the fans were really hyped for it, but then they started realizing that it was just kinda meh so it dropped. I think a lot of people were expecting the season to finish on a high note and it just never really came so this isn't surprising at all. Erased also began at a very high score because its first half was incredibly well done, then it fell fast once the second half started getting rushed.
HungrySquirtleJun 22, 2017 2:09 PM
AoT is trash and you're trash for liking it.
Jun 22, 2017 2:15 PM

Oct 2015
HungrySquirtle said:
MHA season 2 is a lot better than the first season. Not that the first season wasn't adapted as well, it was just mostly exposition and slow character building. Its also worth noting that it just recently had some amazing episodes so its not surprising that it shot up pretty quickly. As for AoT, I personally hate it as a series but even I will give it some points to the first season for the first few episodes, season 2 not so much. Not a whole lot really happened and as a whole it was pretty underwhelming. It initially had a high score because a lot of the fans were really hyped for it, but then they started realizing that it was just kinda meh so it dropped. I think a lot of people were expecting the season to finish on a high note and it just never really came so this isn't surprising at all. Erased also began at a very high score because its first half was incredibly well done, then it fell fast once the second half started getting rushed.
I mean, I PERSONALLY find worldbuilding and mystery-solving more interesting than a very well animated indeed shounen tournament arc. The second season of attack on titan revealed many important things such as the answer many people were looking for in regards to what are titans and how do titans go back to being human, so I wouldn't use the word underwhelming like that. But again, that's just my point of view.
Jun 22, 2017 2:20 PM

Feb 2017
Nostalgik said:
HungrySquirtle said:
I mean, I PERSONALLY find worldbuilding and mystery-solving more interesting than a very well animated indeed shounen tournament arc. The second season of attack on titan revealed many important things such as the answer many people were looking for in regards to what are titans and how do titans go back to being human, so I wouldn't use the word underwhelming like that. But again, that's just my point of view.

What good is worldbuilding if the characters are all terrible and the plot is a barely coherent mess? And honestly I wouldn't even go as far as to call it worldbuilding or mystery. The vast majority of it was just pointless, bland dialogue. Also theres been more character development in 1 episode of MHA than in the entirety of whats been animated for AoT, but hey thats just my opinion.
Jun 22, 2017 2:23 PM

Oct 2015
HungrySquirtle said:
Nostalgik said:

What good is worldbuilding if the characters are all terrible and the plot is a barely coherent mess? And honestly I wouldn't even go as far as to call it worldbuilding or mystery. The vast majority of it was just pointless, bland dialogue. Also theres been more character development in 1 episode of MHA than in the entirety of whats been animated for AoT, but hey thats just my opinion.
Yeah we are in opposite side of the spectrum here xD So it's no good to just argue over it. I do enjoy MHA tho, no biggie. x)
Jun 22, 2017 2:25 PM

Feb 2017
Nostalgik said:
HungrySquirtle said:

Yeah we are in opposite side of the spectrum here xD So it's no good to just argue over it. I do enjoy MHA tho, no biggie. x)

Seems so. Not trying to say your opinion of the series is wrong or anything. Just providing my point of view as to why I personally think the scores are changing like that, given my own personal tastes.
Jun 22, 2017 2:29 PM

Oct 2015
HungrySquirtle said:
Nostalgik said:

Seems so. Not trying to say your opinion of the series is wrong or anything. Just providing my point of view as to why I personally think the scores are changing like that, given my own personal tastes.
Yeah I got that :) And I do understand the mindset, so it makes sense in this case since more people obviously have the same opinions as you, so it justifies. Also MHA doesn't beat around the bush, it's more straight to the point overall and that definitely garnered more love for the series.
Jun 22, 2017 2:29 PM

Jul 2015
i think because s2 was only 12 ep and after 4 years
also Snk have some die hard haters
0.3% (430 votes) give it 1/10

anyway i dont care
season 3 is next year <3 , and that's all i care about
Jun 22, 2017 7:50 PM

Feb 2017
The reason of AOT's large drop rate is probably because it's really popular. It's pretty hard for popular anime nowadays to get a high rating because there are just soo many haters. Plus a lot of people are mad for only 12 episodes after 4 years. Personally I liked AoT season 2 better than BNHA season 2 and i feel like BNHA's score is overrated but in the end, they're both great shows. The score doesn't really mater
Jun 23, 2017 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
I think this is somewhat of a good answer, this season was mostly just a set up from what I gathered so most people probably were left disappointed given that they waited that long only to get more questions.
Jun 23, 2017 4:23 AM
Jun 2017
great both are meh shows but boku no hero is a lot more better because the character are more interesting the animation is gorgeous the action scenes are great (aot actions scenes were meh for both seasons and very bad sometimes) and aot is very boring compared to boku no hero... and this is coming from someone that likes the long taking in an anime
ps rokudenashi and masamune kun no revange are better than those 2
myengisbadJun 23, 2017 4:31 AM
Since Koe no Katachi has a very high rating her on MAL, rated by nearly 100k users currently should we try to upvote the movie on the worlds largest database related to films? This movie only has around 4,5k votes at the moment. Let's all vote and make the rating higher?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5323662/

if we make it more popular it will raise more money so it will support the anime industry and make anime more popular between all the peoples since IMDb is not an anime site
so more quality anime will be made
Jun 23, 2017 4:31 AM

Oct 2015
myengisbad said:
great both are meh shows but boku no hero is a lot more better because the character are more interesting the animation is gorgeous the action scenes are great (aot actions scenes were meh for both seasons and very bad sometimes) and aot is very boring compared to boku no hero... and this is coming from someone that likes the long taking in an anime
ps rokudenashi and masamune kun no revange are better than those 2
That last sentence was pretty sad to read xD
Jun 23, 2017 7:27 AM

Jan 2014
Situation is similar to Gintama or Haikyuu. Every new season has less people watching (more people dropping anime) so score is much higher because this people who are still watching are giving 9-10 scores. Aot is giant popular series so people are still watching and through it score is very different. Boku no hero season 3 probably will be in top 10 and season 4 will be in top 5. Mal's system is garbage.

Thats all.
Taito10Jun 23, 2017 7:31 AM
Jun 23, 2017 8:18 AM

Aug 2015
While AoT has it's highs and lows throughout the series aside from the haters which was veeeerry inevitable for a popular series, BnHA's 1st half aka the tournament arc was action-packed, fast paced and that was fans yearning for especially the Todoroki v Izuku match which showcased bones' animation as well as a huge character development for Todoroki which was why the score took a huge leap 8.66 -> 8.72(highest increase in that week). Well 8.62 is nothing to be complained of, besides, ratings shouldn't be taken seriously.
Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

Aug 2016
SNK fanbase stupidy is one of the reasons. i dont get how can some people complain about not getting enough action when... theres was actually action, and good one! they even had the colossal and armored titans revealed, and a huge encounter at the end with lot of dead and heroism, yet people complain

and S3 will be worst in terms of compain. keep in mind some people usually say "oh, it will be boring when they reach the political stuff" when thats one of the main things that becomes a big enrichment for this dark fantasy apocalypse. Well, being top 100 isnt actually a bad thing. i was expecting snk to be top 50 at least, but cant complain. at the end of the day its well rated.
:v
Jun 23, 2017 10:34 AM

Mar 2015
You know damn well its happening cause AOT has so many haters lmfao. plus BNHA is like midway through the season and these episodes are the climax now the score will change eventually I believe.

yeehaw
Jun 23, 2017 10:34 AM

Aug 2016
I think it's because AoT S2 is finished with their season and a large majority of people (like me) don't rate shows until the show is completely finished (maybe exception 100+ episodes of anime as 1 entry).

The score of 8.5+ is extremely high on MAL, so the average is bound to come down when any score of 8 or less is given. Add on the fact that, AoT S2 already entered the top 100 in popularity which increases the likelihood that the score can't be maintained any higher than it already is. BnHA isn't finished and it only consists of those who score while currently watching
MechKingKillbotJun 23, 2017 10:43 AM
Jun 23, 2017 11:24 AM

Feb 2017
Taito10 said:
Situation is similar to Gintama or Haikyuu. Every new season has less people watching (more people dropping anime) so score is much higher because this people who are still watching are giving 9-10 scores. Aot is giant popular series so people are still watching and through it score is very different. Boku no hero season 3 probably will be in top 10 and season 4 will be in top 5. Mal's system is garbage.

Thats all.

You say that as if the first seasons of Haikyuu and Gintama aren't also extremely highly rated. Also both those series do progressively get much better so their rankings by season make sense to me.
Jun 23, 2017 11:59 AM

May 2015
BNHA's score will drop once it finishes airing, just like SnK did. I'm actually really impressed with BNHA atm, though. I saw the potential in the first season but something was missing. Hope it continues to do well. They're both very highly rated and rightly so.
FangJun 23, 2017 12:03 PM
Jun 23, 2017 12:05 PM

Dec 2015
I agree with MechKillingBot. People that only vote after a show ended started to give their votes. And with a mean score of 8.xx any score 8 or lower will lower the mean.

I guess most people - except the hardcore fans - give 7-8 ... some maybe 9. And a few 10. Most of the 9-10s should have been from those hardcore fans that probably scored already earlier when the series still aired.

Don't know about Boku no Hero Academia. Not watching it cause I'm not interested. Maybe something happened which people liked a lot. Like with certain episodes for Re:Zero back then.
Jun 23, 2017 12:07 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
If anything having almost a whole season length consisting of a generic tournament arc ought to decrease the score rather than increasing if you ask me

Then again I've never really been on the same page as most people when it comes to battle shounens so what do I know
Jun 23, 2017 12:14 PM

Apr 2016
Luthandorius said:
I agree with MechKillingBot. People that only vote after a show ended started to give their votes. And with a mean score of 8.xx any score 8 or lower will lower the mean.

I guess most people - except the hardcore fans - give 7-8 ... some maybe 9. And a few 10. Most of the 9-10s should have been from those hardcore fans that probably scored already earlier when the series still aired.

Don't know about Boku no Hero Academia. Not watching it cause I'm not interested. Maybe something happened which people liked a lot. Like with certain episodes for Re:Zero back then.

probably season 2 episode 10 it got 95% 5/5 from over 1400 voters really must of liked it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2017 12:20 PM

Oct 2015
HaXXspetten said:
If anything having almost a whole season length consisting of a generic tournament arc ought to decrease the score rather than increasing if you ask me

Then again I've never really been on the same page as most people when it comes to battle shounens so what do I know
My thoughts precisely
Jun 24, 2017 10:28 AM
Jul 2011
BnA's Izuku Midoriya vs. Shoto Todoroki and the build up to it kind of shits on everything that happened in SnK S2 despite SnK S2's wonderful Ep6 and some parts of Ep12.

I'm in the minority (I guess?) of readers of SnK who liked the political drama arc (even "less action") so I'm looking forward to seeing it animated but I'm highly curious how the anime viewers will react to it if they thought SnK S2 "didn't have enough action" lol.
Jun 25, 2017 4:45 AM

Aug 2014
I find that BnHA has the overall better quality and is more consistent, and that reflects in its scores.

SnK only had, in my opinion, a few good episodes, the rest were kind of meh and boring due to having terrible characters *cough* Eren *cough* Mikasa *cough*. The mystery elements are also kind of uninteresting. Overall it was still better than a handful of the other seasonal stuff, but it was a rather forgettable experience.

I'm interested in watching the next season though, I like the idea of it being more a political drama, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.
#dicksoutforhughmungus
Jun 25, 2017 7:36 AM

Jan 2015
People have shit taste. That's my honest opinion.

Really makes me sad how such a generic shit average boring show got such a high rating.
BestBoiErenJun 25, 2017 7:42 AM
Jun 25, 2017 7:39 AM

Sep 2009
Lol what do you expect? SnK 2 was complete shit, and it's spilling into the 1st season ratings too. BnH is generic, but not as poorly animated.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 25, 2017 7:46 AM

Oct 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
Lol what do you expect? SnK 2 was complete shit, and it's spilling into the 1st season ratings too. BnH is generic, but not as poorly animated.

Actually the rating for the first season just went up from 8.52 to 8.53 which I found to be odd.

Jun 25, 2017 8:07 PM

Apr 2014
SkullProX said:
Really makes me sad how such a generic shit average boring show got such a high rating.

Here's the baiting kid again. Stop calling something generic when you didn't even watch it.
Shingeki no Kyojin is much more generic shit, monsters eating humans? There's a lot of shows like that before SnK was created.
And just like inspired by American movies, too generic and too boring.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 25, 2017 8:18 PM

Oct 2015
Rayzer said:
SkullProX said:

Here's the baiting kid again. Stop calling something generic when you didn't even watch it.
Shingeki no Kyojin is much more generic shit, monsters eating humans? There's a lot of shows like that before SnK was created.
Yes he's a kid but you just stepped at his level. Lol Just pointing it out. It doesn't affect me xD
Jun 25, 2017 8:38 PM

Apr 2014
Nostalgik said:

Yes he's a kid but you just stepped at his level. Lol Just pointing it out. It doesn't affect me xD[/quote]
Triggered much because I call your favorite SnK a shitty pile of garbage?
Oh, maybe I should call both of you a kid then.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 25, 2017 8:51 PM

Aug 2016
Titans is loud and dumb, and this season's production was a total mess. HeroAca is fun, honest and charming, and has Yutapon drawing flames and shit.

I don't know what is it that you find so weird about it.
Jun 26, 2017 4:20 AM

Jan 2015
Rayzer said:
SkullProX said:

I'm not baiting anyone, that's what I think.

Ohh, it's you, the guy who flames me in PM, then blocks me :)) don't you dare call others a kid, you 8 year old ************
And you are not only a kid, but a hypocrite too... you took the time to comment on my profile when you got butthurt that i called bnha shit :))

@Nostalgik Ignore that guy, it's for your own good.

BestBoiErenJun 26, 2017 4:30 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 12, 2017

496 by Magicallykitten »»
Apr 13, 4:26 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 6, 2017

931 by Angel_crush1 »»
Mar 31, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 15, 2017

689 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 14, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Apr 21, 2017

465 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 14, 12:17 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 9, 2017

525 by Apreggi »»
Mar 11, 5:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.