Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jun 22, 2017 6:57 AM

Nov 2009
CodeBlazeFate said:
flannan said:

I can't possibly list all the tropes that are used in these shows. Unless I just post links to TVTropes' pages on these works.
But let's look at the main characters.

Bahamut has a MC, who is secretly so awesome he took out an empire in one night, and who is bound by his various duties all the time. He goes out of his way helping people to atone or something. His harem includes a princess who doesn't want to princess around and prefers tinkering with mecha, a sister who is even more serious than he is, a girl with so much agency and trickiness that we have no idea what she is really like, and a few others.

Musaigen has a MC, who is kinda uncool, but tries to use what powers he has anyway. His companions are a fanservice pixie, a cool martial artist sempai who is probably the real protagonist, a sad rich girl and a loli.

Hundred has a MC who has the most potential in the world, but no experience. Doesn't stop him from being principled and getting into trouble because of that. His companions are a dere-dere reverse-trap, a tsundere commander, a sick little sister and a playful idol.

Masou Gakuen has an MC who can't do much fighting, and must power-up his harem instead. (and by "power-up" I mean borderline hentai). The harem has a typical tsundere, a rei clone who is somehow a tsundere too, a rich girl who is unexpectedly okay with it and an enthusiastic loli.

Rokudenashi has an MC who is almost as awesome and blood-soaked as Bahamut's, but he has totally collapsed under pressure and became a hikkikomori before becoming a perverted teacher. His storyline is mostly about him recovering his past self. His pupils are a tsundere who keeps getting in over her head, a deredere who keeps getting kidnapped, a murderous kuudere and a bunch of extras.

So basically, a lot of the MCs are different and of varying quality, but it's mainly the harem that's full of stock fruits (typical tsundere, typical kuudere, etc.)?

There are exactly two typical tsundere in these casts: the straight-laced japanese girl in Masou Gakuen (who is deliciously unhappy to be in borderline-hentai), and the White Cat from Rokudenashi, who makes a nice contrast to the MC. Well, I guess Asterisk female lead is one too, which makes three. Just because I described them with well-known words doesn't mean they are necessarily stock characters.
There is also only one kuudere among the listed characters, in Rokudenashi. Unusually for her type, she is very violent.

Speaking of tropes, I think there is another comparison. The MC gets challenged to a duel on the first day:
In Bahamut, because the princess wants to silence (as in "kill") the MC who knows too much. They talk it out later.
In Hundred, because the MC got into an argument with the commander, and she believes in might makes right. Impressed by his fighting ability, the commander becomes a lot friendlier.
In Asterisk, because the MC has seen the tsundere undressed, and she feels that requires a duel to let off steam.
In Rokudenashi, because the MC would not do his job as a teacher, and the heroine has ran out of options (it's damn hard to influence a teacher that wants to be fired!).

In the other three shows, there is no duel on the first day.
Jun 22, 2017 7:25 AM

Apr 2016
flannan said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

So basically, a lot of the MCs are different and of varying quality, but it's mainly the harem that's full of stock fruits (typical tsundere, typical kuudere, etc.)?

There are exactly two typical tsundere in these casts: the straight-laced japanese girl in Masou Gakuen (who is deliciously unhappy to be in borderline-hentai), and the White Cat from Rokudenashi, who makes a nice contrast to the MC. Well, I guess Asterisk female lead is one too, which makes three. Just because I described them with well-known words doesn't mean they are necessarily stock characters.
There is also only one kuudere among the listed characters, in Rokudenashi. Unusually for her type, she is very violent.

Speaking of tropes, I think there is another comparison. The MC gets challenged to a duel on the first day:
In Bahamut, because the princess wants to silence (as in "kill") the MC who knows too much. They talk it out later.
In Hundred, because the MC got into an argument with the commander, and she believes in might makes right. Impressed by his fighting ability, the commander becomes a lot friendlier.
In Asterisk, because the MC has seen the tsundere undressed, and she feels that requires a duel to let off steam.
In Rokudenashi, because the MC would not do his job as a teacher, and the heroine has ran out of options (it's damn hard to influence a teacher that wants to be fired!).

In the other three shows, there is no duel on the first day.
Oh, alright then. Yeah, Julia is probably one of the worst tsunderes I've ever seen so she she is so adamantly following that stock trait to a tee without remotely developing past "we have new friends now".

Some of this sounds...vaguely interesting (though I would never ever watch HxH).
Jun 22, 2017 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
The mere fact that they are popular and you hate them for it means you're by definition elitist scum.

Sorry if I jump into this again but I read the thread and... wow, what a way to go and jump into conclusions. I mean don't get me wrong I ain't going to try to give shit to your end, however that's a way to make an implication that he's an elitist... and hell, it wasn't even showing those type of signals that are an elitist though. Just saying.
Jun 22, 2017 10:23 AM

Jul 2015
@CodeBlazeFate I read through the whole thread and I have to say your message is not very clear in your OP. At first i thought it was some high level bait. But reviewing comes with the territory. As in you should really be expecting harsh backlash from fanboys/girls, especially with the review you wrote.

I would understand if it's a calm negative review and someone tells you to kys. But again that comes with the territory. The second you post an opinion, your opening yourself up for criticism. And the more aggressive your tone the more aggression you'll receive.

CodeBlazeFate said:
Kittens-kun said:

Pretty much this. Don't like it, don't watch it. Pretty simple.
Ah, that asinine "don't like don't watch" argument that physically doesn't make sense in context since you're saying don't watch something you already watched and didn't like. Hell, it's such a bad argument that I can easily apply this argument to you: don't like my rant, don't read my rant. See what happens when that argument is used?

The don't like; don't watch argument is pretty pointless if you're talking to a pirate but to someone who pays for most if not all anime it makes sense. Why would somebody waste their time and money on an anime they don't like. Only to contribute to that anime getting a second season or for more of that type of anime to be made. Ultimately i think you're better off encouraging people to watch anime you think is good than to discourage people from watching "bad" anime.
Jun 22, 2017 10:30 AM

Apr 2016
scruffs said:
@CodeBlazeFate I read through the whole thread and I have to say your message is not very clear in your OP. At first i thought it was some high level bait. But reviewing comes with the territory. As in you should really be expecting harsh backlash from fanboys/girls, especially with the review you wrote.

I would understand if it's a calm negative review and someone tells you to kys. But again that comes with the territory. The second you post an opinion, your opening yourself up for criticism. And the more aggressive your tone the more aggression you'll receive.

CodeBlazeFate said:
Ah, that asinine "don't like don't watch" argument that physically doesn't make sense in context since you're saying don't watch something you already watched and didn't like. Hell, it's such a bad argument that I can easily apply this argument to you: don't like my rant, don't read my rant. See what happens when that argument is used?

The don't like; don't watch argument is pretty pointless if you're talking to a pirate but to someone who pays for most if not all anime it makes sense. Why would somebody waste their time and money on an anime they don't like. Only to contribute to that anime getting a second season or for more of that type of anime to be made. Ultimately i think you're better off encouraging people to watch anime you think is good than to discourage people from watching "bad" anime.
Honestly, if they want to judge our reviews based on content, then they should actually read it instead of making knee jerk judgements about it and the people who agree with the opinion that the one person does not agree with. If they read my review and gave me backlash because they didn't like the tone or they have legitimate points about the show that they disagree with me with, that's fine, that I can expect. What I don't expect is for someone to make a refiewnsomely for the sake of saying "critics or the community is wrong and silly and pathetic for hating/liking this show".

Because they argument is only there to shut people up and it makes so sense semantically, that's why it's such a dumb and pointless argument. Also, it's so bad that I can easily apply their own logic against them.
Jun 22, 2017 12:18 PM

Mar 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
OtakuDaikun said:
Even a completely unoriginal anime can be good if it adheres to quality execution and style. I don't think you have unrealistic standards as much as you are expecting something very specific from anime and ignore other factors people love about them. Even Hand Shakers has SOME redeeming value.
Honestly, what I wanted was for entertainment and characters that weren't infuriating cardboard cutouts. For most part, it didn't deliver on either and instead proved that it even had ideas that it didn't capitalize well on, making it extra disappointing when I wasn't even that hyped to begin with. Also, Hand Shakers doesn't have any real merit (besides maybe music if that's to your liking) other than the fact that with the amount of problems it has in almost every single aspect of an audiovisual medium of animation, you can have a goddamn field day with any aspect, whether it be narrative, editing, animation, cinematography, character writing, etc. since it's so goddamn bad that I'd argue that no other anime has such a sense volume of errors.

I'm not saying I'd sing its praises or anything. I just thought that the art style was kinda cool and the idea of a constantly moving camera is neat, thought it did end up quite sloppy. It would have made for a great short film at an expo or something.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 22, 2017 12:19 PM

Jul 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
scruffs said:

Honestly, if they want to judge our reviews based on content, then they should actually read it instead of making knee jerk judgements about it and the people who agree with the opinion that the one person does not agree with. If they read my review and gave me backlash because they didn't like the tone or they have legitimate points about the show that they disagree with me with, that's fine, that I can expect. What I don't expect is for someone to make a refiewnsomely for the sake of saying "critics or the community is wrong and silly and pathetic for hating/liking this show".

Because they argument is only there to shut people up and it makes so sense semantically, that's why it's such a dumb and pointless argument. Also, it's so bad that I can easily apply their own logic against them.

Diehard fanboys/girls will react irrationally to their shows getting critiqued. Regardless of what the review says, this is a known fact and should be expected.

Like the other thing i said people will react appropriately to your tone.
Taken from your own review
*Spoilers for Akashic Records. Don't watch this fucking show; it is offensively bad and trite as sin*

This comes of as very aggressive and that's at the beginning of your review. So that's already leaving a bad taste in people's mouth. And tbh i stopped reading after 3 paragraphs just because how negative it sounded.

I don't think you're seeing it from the dl;dw perspective it's not an debate ender. The debate rarely ends there. But rather people who say this don't always have a lot of time to watch anime, pay for most/everything they watch, or they genuinely don't care about the technical/philosophical aspects of anime and just watch for the bouncing oppai/pantsu shots.
Jun 22, 2017 12:35 PM

Apr 2016
OtakuDaikun said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
Honestly, what I wanted was for entertainment and characters that weren't infuriating cardboard cutouts. For most part, it didn't deliver on either and instead proved that it even had ideas that it didn't capitalize well on, making it extra disappointing when I wasn't even that hyped to begin with. Also, Hand Shakers doesn't have any real merit (besides maybe music if that's to your liking) other than the fact that with the amount of problems it has in almost every single aspect of an audiovisual medium of animation, you can have a goddamn field day with any aspect, whether it be narrative, editing, animation, cinematography, character writing, etc. since it's so goddamn bad that I'd argue that no other anime has such a sense volume of errors.

I'm not saying I'd sing its praises or anything. I just thought that the art style was kinda cool and the idea of a constantly moving camera is neat, thought it did end up quite sloppy. It would have made for a great short film at an expo or something.
To be fair, the art (once you rempoce it from everything else) looks good. Ye idea of a camera moving around all the time...I can't see that being executed well. Everything else about the series....yeah no.
Jun 22, 2017 12:41 PM

Apr 2016
scruffs said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Diehard fanboys/girls will react irrationally to their shows getting critiqued. Regardless of what the review says, this is a known fact and should be expected.

*Spoilers for Akashic Records. Don't watch this fucking show; it is offensively bad and trite as sin*

This comes of as very aggressive and that's at the beginning of your review. So that's already leaving a bad taste in people's mouth. And tbh i stopped reading after 3 paragraphs just because how negative it sounded.

I don't think you're seeing it from the dl;dw perspective it's not an debate ender. The debate rarely ends there. But rather people who say this don't always have a lot of time to watch anime, pay for most/everything they watch, or they genuinely don't care about the technical/philosophical aspects of anime and just watch for the bouncing oppai/pantsu shots.
The reason dl;dr isn't an effective debate ended is because it's such a bad argument that instead of shutting your opponent up, you give them a leg to stand on and continue the debate when you just want themes shut up.

Hence why I made it perfectly clear that the tone of the review was going to be negative (though I probably should've made that happen in the first paragraph rather than right before re actual review portion). Again, knee jerk reactions are silly no matter what, but st that rate they can just post a comment rather than just review it by saying "these idiots don't understand jack, this show is obviously *inseet judgement here* and only now I'll begin explaining why, in very minute detail because I just wanted to refute them personally". It's a waste of time at that rate since that actually requires more time. Even if they only care about watching an anime for such shallow reasons, if they just say "you guys don't like it because you expected and wanted to hate it because you saw what genre it is", then all they'll get is a verbal smack in the face by people who are more than willing to force a proper explanation down their throat.
Jun 22, 2017 12:51 PM

Aug 2014
However much I like considering writing and cinema a form of art, it has long lost it's meaning as an expressive medium, rather focussing now on sensationalism in the form of action and tragedy. It's a form of entertainment, and when people enjoy shows that follow a certain pattern, or shows that don't go much beyond aestheticism, or thrill, those shows will get made. Creativity is not the factor for a show to be good or respectable. It's the popularity that matters, an the big sack of cash that the producers get at the end of the day.

Certainly art that is creative, original and inspires would be my minimum requirements for art, but judging anime as art beyond one of aesthetics and thrill, is asking a tad much. To even go a step further: I, as a critique, don't give a damn for story complexity, which seems to be so popular among many critiques. What in the end matters is what I learn from a medium, through self-reflection, mostly. If an author spells things out I will get annoyed. Mostly because they can make mistakes out of lack of research - happens a lot, but people tend not to be studied enough themselves to notice, so it gets ignored.

Creativity in that aspect, doesn't per se have to be in defying tropes or doing things differently, but could very well mean exploring a topic much deeper, or presenting things in such a way that they allow the reader/viewer to interpret it differently. But honestly, how many children and political intrigues fantasy characters had, doesn't interest me a damn, if it teaches me zilch in the end.

Then again, anime probably shouldn't be judged as a medium of expression, for the reasons I did address: it simply doesn't intend to be. it's entertainment for those looking for simple entertainment, and not a medium for authors to express their visions (if those in the anime industry even have those). Much like western shows, books... anything really.

If you're looking for art and creativity, you have to go out of your way for it, or look at more specific aspects of shows. (f.e. direction, music, voice acting... spotting those little details, if that aligns with your interest. I enjoy inspecting the direction, though I've had a lack of time to keep with that). Some shows will have nothing interesting to offer in those aspects tho. At that point, maybe we can consider the show shit.

But utter artistic creativity, is in fact too high a standard for the current industry.
Jun 22, 2017 1:42 PM

Jul 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
scruffs said:

The reason dl;dr isn't an effective debate ended is because it's such a bad argument that instead of shutting your opponent up, you give them a leg to stand on and continue the debate when you just want themes shut up.

Hence why I made it perfectly clear that the tone of the review was going to be negative (though I probably should've made that happen in the first paragraph rather than right before re actual review portion). Again, knee jerk reactions are silly no matter what, but st that rate they can just post a comment rather than just review it by saying "these idiots don't understand jack, this show is obviously *inseet judgement here* and only now I'll begin explaining why, in very minute detail because I just wanted to refute them personally". It's a waste of time at that rate since that actually requires more time. Even if they only care about watching an anime for such shallow reasons, if they just say "you guys don't like it because you expected and wanted to hate it because you saw what genre it is", then all they'll get is a verbal smack in the face by people who are more than willing to force a proper explanation down their throat.

1. And dl;dw (really should be changed to don't like; drop it) is also the reason people are considered elitist (part of the reason reviewers/users get backlash) because instead of looking for higher quality anime. They'll watch a 12+ episode series they stopped liking after an episode or two. Sometimes knowing in advance that there are elements they don't enjoy in it (such as cgi or fanservice). And i get that no work of art is immune to criticism but continuing to watch a series that wasn't even targeted at you (not you specifically but you know what i mean) and doing so routinely just seems unhealthy and unreasonable. and really what can you say to someone stubborn like that? Other than, just stop watching if it was that bad?

2. Yes you really need to work on making points clearer, it took me about 3 (mobile pages) to figure out what this thread was about.

At first i thought it was about how anime is recycled garbage. And like i said in an earlier post encourage people to watch "better" anime to overshadow "bad" anime.

2a. And yeah knee jerk reactions are dumb but at the same time you are intentionally being antagonistic with this review. idk if you made this thread out of frustration because too many are sending you hate. But you're a reviewer and you have strong opinions so you really should be surprised that you get backlash.
Jun 22, 2017 2:08 PM

Apr 2016
scruffs said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

1. And dl;dw (really should be changed to don't like; drop it) is also the reason people are considered elitist (part of the reason reviewers/users get backlash) because instead of looking for higher quality anime. They'll watch a 12+ episode series they stopped liking after an episode or two. Sometimes knowing in advance that there are elements they don't enjoy in it (such as cgi or fanservice). And i get that no work of art is immune to criticism but continuing to watch a series that wasn't even targeted at you (not you specifically but you know what i mean) and doing so routinely just seems unhealthy and unreasonable. and really what can you say to someone stubborn like that? Other than, just stop watching if it was that bad?

2. Yes you really need to work on making points clearer, it took me about 3 (mobile pages) to figure out what this thread was about.

At first i thought it was about how anime is recycled garbage. And like i said in an earlier post encourage people to watch "better" anime to overshadow "bad" anime.

2a. And yeah knee jerk reactions are dumb but at the same time you are intentionally being antagonistic with this review. idk if you made this thread out of frustration because too many are sending you hate. But you're a reviewer and you have strong opinions so you really should be surprised that you get backlash.
*I'll tackle this in descending order*

Knee jerk reactions do come in the territory, but there generally comprised of one person walking up to the comments and telling him to piss off or give some kind of reason as to why the reviewer shouldn't have watched it or anything just to defend the show's pride. Reviews dedicated to it are not so common. I've never been attacked by these reactions, but I've seen plenty of reviews that make such accusations about people who dislike a show they like (a Kabaneri review, a Berserk 2K16 review, a Bahamut (the other one, not Rage of Bahamut) one, a Root A one, and a few Akashic Records ones) and each time it just pissed me off too see that.

I made it pretty clear by paragraph 3 that it's about people who criticize others (community or reviewers) for hating a show and therefore either being hateful for the sake of it or having absurd standards. I could've tackled or better but if anyone made it to the end and assumed that all I was saying was "unoriginal LN shows suck and should die" then that's the fault of the reader even more so that the presenter.

What if this is one of the first of this type of show the critic has seen (like me; excluding Ass War season 2, this is the 3rd show of this type that I've seen)? What if there just aware of the tropes from other sources and see them quite frequently in each of these few kinds of anime they've seen? What if the person is against dropping shows? What if the person felt passionately her he had something he wanted to say about it even early about why he/she didn't like the show? Aren't those (at least some of them) valid reasons for the person to stubbornly continue? What if they've seen so many of these shows but find a few hat are way better or way worse than most of these? All of these are perfectly reasonable reasons for someone to still make a review about the show and call it tired trash that he hates, regardless of the bscklash he might receive.
Jun 22, 2017 2:15 PM

Oct 2010
metadata said:
Certainly art that is creative, original and inspires would be my minimum requirements for art, but judging anime as art beyond one of aesthetics and thrill, is asking a tad much.

Just the fact that you place aesthetics as something we should go beyond of instead of something with value as an expressive and communicative tool speaks volumes about how reliable you are as a critic.

metadata said:
Then again, anime probably shouldn't be judged as a medium of expression, for the reasons I did address: it simply doesn't intend to be. it's entertainment for those looking for simple entertainment, and not a medium for authors to express their visions (if those in the anime industry even have those). Much like western shows, books... anything really.

You are not making any sense here so I assume you want to talk about creativity instead of expression. Anime shows things to the viewer, therefore it expresses, regardless if it's for the purpose of shallow entertainment or high concept artistry.

metadata said:
But utter artistic creativity, is in fact too high a standard for the current industry.

I'd like to ask you about your experience on cinema to make such a bold statement in your first paragraph, because seeing that you haven't even touched the works of Ghibli, Satoshi Kon, Yuasa, Shinkai, etc. and you have barely scratched the surface of experimental/indie anime I don't know if I should take your stances on the standards of artistic creativity in media seriously.
jal90Jun 22, 2017 2:20 PM
Jun 22, 2017 2:38 PM

Aug 2014
jal90 said:
metadata said:
Certainly art that is creative, original and inspires would be my minimum requirements for art, but judging anime as art beyond one of aesthetics and thrill, is asking a tad much.

Just the fact that you place aesthetics as something we should go beyond of instead of something with value as an expressive and communicative tool speaks volumes about how reliable you are as a critic.

metadata said:

You are not making any sense here so I assume you want to talk about creativity instead of expression. Anime shows things to the viewer, therefore it expresses, regardless if it's for the purpose of shallow entertainment or high concept artistry.

metadata said:

I'd like to ask you about your experience on cinema to make such a bold statement in your first paragraph, because seeing that you haven't even touched the works of Ghibli, Satoshi Kon, Yuasa, Shinkai, etc. and you have barely scratched the surface of experimental/indie anime I don't know if I should take your stances on the standards of artistic creativity in media seriously.

1. I never said aesthetics don't have value. Simply that it doesn't interest or inspire me much, in terms of writing.

Tho, dafuq dude? If aesthetics are used to express something through symbolism and feeling, and allow for interpretetation, it is completely in line with what I said? You are taking words out of my mouths and adding meanings that never existed. At that point it does go beyond mere aestheticism.

2. And where have I said it didn't? I merely stated the difference in goals, criticising neither.

3. again, where did I say that this goes for all anime? I'm simply saying that in general, most studios aim to entertain, rather than to express visions, etc. which I relate to art. And I know I still have to watch a lot of pieces, but those are a small percentage of the shows coming out regardlessly.

Honestly tho, I think you're reading my post with too negative a tone, because I didn't offer much critique. I simply stated how the goals of most anime lack the critique, and motivation to thinking that I enjoy in art and literature. I never said they were bad, or uncreative, simply that the creativity is in different aspects, which are not the aspects I'm looking for.

Like, if you want to discuss things, I'm all ear, but saying things I didn't imply and all that doesn't give for an enjoyable discussion. If i was short and unclear ask me to expand.
metadataJun 22, 2017 2:46 PM
Jun 22, 2017 3:02 PM

Oct 2010
metadata said:
jal90 said:

1. I never said aesthetics don't have value. Simply that it doesn't interest or inspire me much, in terms of writing.

2. And where have I said it didn't? I merely stated the difference in goals, criticising neither.

3. again, where did I say that this goes for all anime? I'm simply saying that in general, most studios aim to entertain, rather than to express visions, etc. which I relate to art. And I know I still have to watch a lot of pieces, but those are a small percentage of the shows coming out regardlessly.

Honestly tho, I think you're reading my post with too negative a tone, because I didn't offer much critique. I simply stated how the goals of most anime lack the critique, and motivation to thinking that I enjoy in art and literature. I never said they were bad, or uncreative, simply that the creativity is in different aspects, which are not the aspects I'm looking for.

Fair enough. The problem of "most anime", "most cinema", "most musique" is that they are vague statements I could also make and mean nothing. It doesn't help that I look at your list and see no trace of the stuff I mentioned to you, which kind of hinders the point you want to make.

1. Okay. Just saying though, I'm not talking about aesthetics as separated from the narration. I'm talking about aesthetics as integral parts of, and narrative pieces by themselves.

2. Well, you said it's not a medium of expression and that's what I countered. Maybe I misunderstood but it was a quite straightforward statement so I dunno.

3. But that small percentage is not exactly hidden or underground, it has had a lot of media visibility. And if you haven't watched insanely popular stuff like Spirited away or Your name, let alone introduced yourself to authors that have made such an impact as Miyazaki or Shinkai, why should I assume that you have a consistent knowledge about less popular/semi-obscure/obscure anime? Your list seems picky and scarce as heck. Not that this is bad, but it looks quite incompatible with generalizations.
Jun 22, 2017 3:23 PM

Aug 2014
@jal90 Sure, I'm being vague, I'm not gonna deny that. It's at most just generalisations, and my impossible to attain ideology of art. Not like I don't enjoy sensationalist things.

1. Yeah, definitely, I was just saying purely aesthetics, as in, it's a pleasure to the eye, but nothing else. They're fun describing tho, since there is a lot of detail to it, but some extra meaning and things to think about is always nice.

2. Maybe I just worded it wrong. Most anime doesn't try to express visions, critique or an authors view on things, nor try to make the viewer actively think about matters not immediately related to the show (as in, "Is this truly a crime?" vs. "Who's the criminal?", the first is not per se related to the show, the latter is, just as a stupid example). It tries to entertain the reader, through comedy, tragedy, etc. without much of an intent to motivate the viewer to think, etc. Which isn't problematic, it's just not what I look for, when I think of art.

3. I haven't added all shows I've watched to my list + I have watched some Ghibli, as well as read Nausicaä, so I know some of Miyazaki. Doubt I'll admire Shinkai much tho. It's just that I don't watch anime all that much, and if I watch something, I'd rather watch something I'm interested in. I don't intend to be an anime critic or anything. But there are some more popular works I intend to get to at some point, just been having a lack of time recently.

But I do know some things about the industry, so I don't think me generalising isn't that misplaced. I don't intend to sound doubtful in discussion topics even if that leads people to frustration sometimes. So using strong words and opinions works best. Experience isn't always required to know what you're talking about, tho, even if it makes people less believable. Just haven't been watching anime from a young age, and don't intend to spend that much time on it.
Jun 22, 2017 3:39 PM

Aug 2016
This is an absolutely enormous thread already. There are things on the first page that I want to respond to that are no longer really germane so I'll be sticking to the fifth page for my comments.

CodeBlazeFate said:
Knee jerk reactions do come in the territory

Yeah, they do. You got to make sure that you aren't making knee-jerk reactions yourself.

I feel you, bro. I've had a rough two weeks. I got into three arguments over the weekend with people who didn't understand what I was saying here on MAL. When I went back and reread my comments, I discovered that perhaps I should have written my comments better to make sure I was understood. I also should have put my emotions into check. Yeah, my interlocutors still ticked me off a bit but I probably should have written those comments completely differently.

but there generally comprised of one person walking up to the comments and telling him to piss off or give some kind of reason as to why the reviewer shouldn't have watched it or anything just to defend the show's pride.

It's been said before but people tend to defend their tastes. Why?

People are afraid of being seen as stupid. It's funny, because they don't seem to realize that everyone has guilty pleasures, everyone likes things that can be collectively agreed on to suck. I've said it elsewhere--I like bad B-movie science-fiction, like Ice Pirates. That movie is terrible and utterly stupid. Am I stupid for liking it? I don't think so.

The problem comes in when people like something and don't think it's stupid or bad. Then, all of a sudden, you're trashing a part of themselves. They can't step outside of their opinions, get some perspective, and perhaps see the flaws in the object you're critiquing. They can't separate themselves from their taste. It's like you're attacking them, personally.

Frankly, that's their psychological and intellectual problem, not yours.

I made it pretty clear by paragraph 3 that it's about people who criticize others (community or reviewers) for hating a show and therefore either being hateful for the sake of it or having absurd standards. I could've tackled or better but if anyone made it to the end and assumed that all I was saying was "unoriginal LN shows suck and should die" then that's the fault of the reader even more so that the presenter.

Are you talking about your first post or a review you wrote? If you're talking about your post, well, you could have sat back and thought long and hard and edited the post before putting it up there. Your tone is something that will be attacked as much as your argument.

Well, that is partly your problem. Rewrite to have a more neutral tone next time? Granted, that's a rhetorical problem and it helps to persuade but doesn't help prove. Rhetoric is the bastard younger brother of logic and tends more toward sophistry than proving anything. However, you have to know your audience, too and frankly, most of them use the bottom three tiers of Graham's hierarchy and can't really achieve the top three. Heck, most people would see someone perform the bottom three during an argument against someone who could pull of the top three and would think the former triumphed over the latter.

Interestingly enough, though, you aren't actually succeeding at refuting anything yourself in your first post. You're raving about how "we" are perceived. Who is this "we?" Does anyone else identify themselves as part of this collective "we" or have you assumed the membership of others regardless as to how they identify themselves?

Secondly, these people "defending" their shows--are they utilizing any sort of unifying argument for you to refute? If so, focus on that and check your emotions at the door. Be cool and logical, not angry and vindictive. I run afoul of this myself--something gets me worked up and I write or speak and my arguments start collapsing due to emotions getting in my way. Lack of organization and clear, concise communication of ideas often causes your argument to meander, focus on the wrong things, and ultimately digress. Calm down first, then return to the argument later.

Finally, consider if you will even be able to reach anyone whatsoever. If so many people on here are going to ad hominem write you off as an "elitist snob" so as to dismiss your argument without engaging it (or worse, without actually reading what you write), perhaps this isn't the venue for that sort of thing.

All of these are perfectly reasonable reasons for someone to still make a review about the show and call it tired trash that he hates, regardless of the bscklash he might receive.

To this I will respond with rule #6 on constructive criticism and book reviewing by novelist John Updike, from the introduction to his essay collection, Picked-Up Pieces:
To these concrete five might be added a vaguer sixth, having to do with maintaining a chemical purity in the reaction between product and appraiser. Do not accept for review a book you are predisposed to dislike, or committed by friendship to like. Do not imagine yourself a caretaker of any tradition, an enforcer of any party standards, a warrior in an ideological battle, a corrections officer of any kind. Never, never... try to put the author "in his place," making him a pawn in a contest with other reviewers. Review the book, not the reputation. Submit to whatever spell, weak or strong, is being cast. Better to praise and share than blame and ban. The communion between reviewer and his public is based upon the presumption of certain possible joys in reading, and all our discriminations should curve toward that end.

These are excellent guidelines for reviewing an anime as well. If you cannot abide by these guidelines for a specific show, perhaps you don't want to write that review. Your criticism of a show should always tend towards being constructive and sympathetic. If a show fails, why did it fail? If it is bad, why is it bad? Could it have been salvaged? How?

I'll reiterate a point here that Updike makes:
Do not imagine yourself a caretaker of any tradition, an enforcer of any party standards, a warrior in an ideological battle, a corrections officer of any kind.

This is precisely what you are doing with your reviews, here, if your original post is any indication.

Believe me, I think that anime is pretty stagnant right now. I'm right there with you, man. I'm not happy that light novels are awfully written and many of them have cliched, unsalvageable story lines adapted into anime for easy cash-grabs. At the same time, I should not see myself as a guardian of new or old (or in-between) anime. And besides, anime has stagnated before--the super robot genre was utterly blase by the 1980s and the late 1990s saw the real robot genre stagnate as well. Both of those genres were killed by what you are complaining about with the magical school light novels--the cash-grab mentality.

And frankly, the mecha genres needed to take it on the chin. It's because of 1) oversaturation followed by 2) collapse of the mecha toy market that we've gotten few non-Gundam mecha franchises since the mid-1990s. Those we've gotten (Macross Plus, Escaflowne, Gurren Lagaan) are for the most part exemplary instead of cheap attempts to sell toys.

@metadata EDIT: I hope this doesn't come off as though I'm teaming up with @Jal9 against you or something. I was writing this at the same time you were and he makes some of the same points I do... just with more brevity. I guess his soul is wittier than mine.

metadata said:
However much I like considering writing and cinema a form of art, it has long lost it's meaning as an expressive medium, rather focussing now on sensationalism in the form of action and tragedy.

I agree with most of the points you make in this entire paragraph. However, I feel it is too pessimistic. I believe a lot of what has happened has to do with the economy more than anything else--nobody wants to take risks. Hollywood has often gone through periods of stagnation before--those led to renaissances like when Coppola, Spielberg, Peckinpah, Allen, Milius, etc., birthed the American New Wave of cinema. There are still arthouse and drama being produced. It's just harder to find because of the over-saturation of the mediocre.

Same goes with anime.

Here's where I disagree. In effect, you're giving anime a sort of critical handicap. You give a handicap to individuals that you severely outclass--for example, were I to play Michael Jordan in basketball, the only way I'd stand a chance would be for me to have to only score a single basket the entire game to win, while he'd have to score 200 points. By giving anime this critical handicap, you are denying it's capability as a medium.

The works of directors like Satoshi Kon and Mamoru Oshii, or writers like Urobuchi Gen, I think, demonstrate this position you've taken as false.

To even go a step further: I, as a critique, don't give a damn for story complexity, which seems to be so popular among many critiques.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't necessarily disagree. Frankly, complexity of story is sometimes most definitely a negative, since some stories can become tremendously convoluted. However, please don't mistake complexity for depth (which I think most people do).

I don't believe there is such a thing as "2deep4u." I do, however, believe in people who are intellectually lazy as all hell.

What in the end matters ... so it gets ignored.

Yes!

Creativity in that aspect... zilch in the end.

YES!

Then again, anime probably shouldn't be judged as a medium of expression, for the reasons I did address: it simply doesn't intend to be.

This and what follows is an utter condemnation of anime as a medium. And boy, ouch, it must burn.

There are anime out there that are just as profound and creative as any other work of art you can imagine. Granted, not on the level of, perhaps, Milton's Paradise Lost, but then again, Milton ripped off a great many of his predecessors. He just had some extremely pretty words that enabled him to do some awesome stuff with his themes.

How is anime any different from any other medium? There is definitely some art being produced. Is any of it on the level of, say, Kubrick or Coppola? Only time will tell. The reason I go back and rewatch older movies and shows like the original Ghost in the Shell or Evangelion is because I keep finding new things every time I watch them--just like when I watch 2001: A Space Odyssey or Apocalypse Now. Maybe in 10 years, I'll feel the same way about 5 Centimeters Per Second.

scruffs said:
1. And dl;dw (really should be changed to don't like; drop it) is also the reason people are considered elitist (part of the reason reviewers/users get backlash) because instead of looking for higher quality anime. ... Other than, just stop watching if it was that bad?

You've been saying some decent stuff here, so I'm going to comment on what you've been saying most recently (as of my writing this).

Your first point is valid, except (and I know I am opening up a can of worms, here) I try to be objective.

Let me explain. I grade papers all the time. I use rubrics, standards, and other measurements designed to lessen my own subjective response to the paper and make myself more objective. You do not want your teacher, instructor, or professor being subjective on your paper but instead want them to tackle it as objectively as possible.

I try to do the same with any book or anime I'd review. I have a checklist of things to consider while reading/watching. There are some things that I've watched that I hated (like Darren Aronofsky's Pi) but still tried to rate as fairly as possible (I'm able to acknowledge it as a brilliant work despite my emotional response to it).

The reason to do this could be to see why something is successful. Sometimes, I'll sit through something and try to figure out why it works for some people but not for me. I gave Clannad a shot, dropped it but I want to go back to it to try to understand it even if I was bored to tears. I want to understand it.

I guess that is the difference between my approach and most other peoples' approaches. Even if I don't like it, I want to see why it either succeeded or failed.

Your assessment is spot-on. It keeps getting hijacked a bit by interlocutors, though, who distract the OP with ad hominem, straw man, and other arguments, and that doesn't help. I wouldn't blame the OP entirely.

Serious question here, I am not being facetious: What do you suggest he do when his interlocutors say that the anime he suggests are "trash" in response? I do want to know what you think his response should be.
FvlminatvsJun 22, 2017 3:46 PM
Jun 22, 2017 3:50 PM

Aug 2014
@Fvlminatvs oh yeah, I was being very pessimistic. I'm not saying anime as a whole is uncapable of such things, because animation definitely brings creativity with it, and allows for a very good ways to express and symbolise - just that a lot of recent anime doesn't do that, since - as you did say - money is scarce and appealing to either certain niches, or the mainstream to get in that cash, is more of the goal.

But yes, there are definitely directors, authors and artists out there deserving praise. I never meant to lump them in with the others per se, just me generalising and not mentioning them tbh, for the sake of being a bit stronger in my argumentation.

EDIT: nah, dw about it, I don't mind, you guys are right that I never mentioned that there were noteworthy artists out there.
Jun 22, 2017 4:14 PM

Jun 2014
I can empathise with your situation but really all the blame falls on to the reader who lashes out as you mentioned before, it just seems petty from their end. I wholly disagree with the notion that a show with recycled content should cease to exist otherwise why would we have reboots then?. You can't dictate what gets green-lit for production as its firmly out of your control, what you can do is avoid the show knowing all the tropes beforehand. It does not hurt being prepared beforehand hence why an evaluation by the eye test alone can amount to a lot. In my experience, not many shows appear to be separate themselves from similar titles born from the same cloth or cannot as a matter of fact. The anomalies that do break through are a special case, they have a exclusive quality that allows them to differentiate from the rest of the class making it enjoyable.

There's a perennial joke going around anime related sites that one seeking LOTGH-quality in anime should just quit the medium and pack their bags. I bet you there are some like that but I have no knowledge of anyone having archaic views like that. You have every right to uphold a certain standard for a "good" anime assuming its not as ridiculous and unfeasible like the example above. I commend you for that and hope your conviction never wavers. My only gripe is that people spend far too much time on the negatives on a show instead of diverting their attention elsewhere and propping up the niche shows you speak of. It would be pleasant to see more people talking about the likes of Kyousou Giga but reality strikes deep. I don't feel frustrated as a result of such shows being overlooked as there are many factors contributing to that. It's a marketing issue which needs addressing but won't elaborate for this thread.

Isn't criticism bilateral in functionality? As one cannot expect to criticise without receiving criticism.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 22, 2017 4:52 PM

Apr 2016
Fvlminatvs said:
This is an absolutely enormous thread already. There are things on the first page that I want to respond to that are no longer really germane so I'll be sticking to the fifth page for my comments.

CodeBlazeFate said:
Knee jerk reactions do come in the territory

Yeah, they do. You got to make sure that you aren't making knee-jerk reactions yourself.

I feel you, bro. I've had a rough two weeks. I got into three arguments over the weekend with people who didn't understand what I was saying here on MAL. When I went back and reread my comments, I discovered that perhaps I should have written my comments better to make sure I was understood. I also should have put my emotions into check. Yeah, my interlocutors still ticked me off a bit but I probably should have written those comments completely differently.

but there generally comprised of one person walking up to the comments and telling him to piss off or give some kind of reason as to why the reviewer shouldn't have watched it or anything just to defend the show's pride.

It's been said before but people tend to defend their tastes. Why?

People are afraid of being seen as stupid. It's funny, because they don't seem to realize that everyone has guilty pleasures, everyone likes things that can be collectively agreed on to suck. I've said it elsewhere--I like bad B-movie science-fiction, like Ice Pirates. That movie is terrible and utterly stupid. Am I stupid for liking it? I don't think so.

The problem comes in when people like something and don't think it's stupid or bad. Then, all of a sudden, you're trashing a part of themselves. They can't step outside of their opinions, get some perspective, and perhaps see the flaws in the object you're critiquing. They can't separate themselves from their taste. It's like you're attacking them, personally.

Frankly, that's their psychological and intellectual problem, not yours.

Are you talking about your first post or a review you wrote? If you're talking about your post, well, you could have sat back and thought long and hard and edited the post before putting it up there. Your tone is something that will be attacked as much as your argument.

Well, that is partly your problem. Rewrite to have a more neutral tone next time? Granted, that's a rhetorical problem and it helps to persuade but doesn't help prove. Rhetoric is the bastard younger brother of logic and tends more toward sophistry than proving anything. However, you have to know your audience, too and frankly, most of them use the bottom three tiers of Graham's hierarchy and can't really achieve the top three. Heck, most people would see someone perform the bottom three during an argument against someone who could pull of the top three and would think the former triumphed over the latter.

Interestingly enough, though, you aren't actually succeeding at refuting anything yourself in your first post. You're raving about how "we" are perceived. Who is this "we?" Does anyone else identify themselves as part of this collective "we" or have you assumed the membership of others regardless as to how they identify themselves?

Secondly, these people "defending" their shows--are they utilizing any sort of unifying argument for you to refute? If so, focus on that and check your emotions at the door. Be cool and logical, not angry and vindictive. I run afoul of this myself--something gets me worked up and I write or speak and my arguments start collapsing due to emotions getting in my way. Lack of organization and clear, concise communication of ideas often causes your argument to meander, focus on the wrong things, and ultimately digress. Calm down first, then return to the argument later.

Finally, consider if you will even be able to reach anyone whatsoever. If so many people on here are going to ad hominem write you off as an "elitist snob" so as to dismiss your argument without engaging it (or worse, without actually reading what you write), perhaps this isn't the venue for that sort of thing.

All of these are perfectly reasonable reasons for someone to still make a review about the show and call it tired trash that he hates, regardless of the bscklash he might receive.

To this I will respond with rule #6 on constructive criticism and book reviewing by novelist John Updike, from the introduction to his essay collection, Picked-Up Pieces:
To these concrete five might be added a vaguer sixth, having to do with maintaining a chemical purity in the reaction between product and appraiser. Do not accept for review a book you are predisposed to dislike, or committed by friendship to like. Do not imagine yourself a caretaker of any tradition, an enforcer of any party standards, a warrior in an ideological battle, a corrections officer of any kind. Never, never... try to put the author "in his place," making him a pawn in a contest with other reviewers. Review the book, not the reputation. Submit to whatever spell, weak or strong, is being cast. Better to praise and share than blame and ban. The communion between reviewer and his public is based upon the presumption of certain possible joys in reading, and all our discriminations should curve toward that end.

These are excellent guidelines for reviewing an anime as well. If you cannot abide by these guidelines for a specific show, perhaps you don't want to write that review. Your criticism of a show should always tend towards being constructive and sympathetic. If a show fails, why did it fail? If it is bad, why is it bad? Could it have been salvaged? How?

I'll reiterate a point here that Updike makes:
Do not imagine yourself a caretaker of any tradition, an enforcer of any party standards, a warrior in an ideological battle, a corrections officer of any kind.

This is precisely what you are doing with your reviews, here, if your original post is any indication.

Believe me, I think that anime is pretty stagnant right now. I'm right there with you, man. I'm not happy that light novels are awfully written and many of them have cliched, unsalvageable story lines adapted into anime for easy cash-grabs. At the same time, I should not see myself as a guardian of new or old (or in-between) anime. And besides, anime has stagnated before--the super robot genre was utterly blase by the 1980s and the late 1990s saw the real robot genre stagnate as well. Both of those genres were killed by what you are complaining about with the magical school light novels--the cash-grab mentality.

And frankly, the mecha genres needed to take it on the chin. It's because of 1) oversaturation followed by 2) collapse of the mecha toy market that we've gotten few non-Gundam mecha franchises since the mid-1990s. Those we've gotten (Macross Plus, Escaflowne, Gurren Lagaan) are for the most part exemplary instead of cheap attempts to sell toys.

@metadata EDIT: I hope this doesn't come off as though I'm teaming up with @Jal9 against you or something. I was writing this at the same time you were and he makes some of the same points I do... just with more brevity. I guess his soul is wittier than mine.

metadata said:
However much I like considering writing and cinema a form of art, it has long lost it's meaning as an expressive medium, rather focussing now on sensationalism in the form of action and tragedy.

I agree with most of the points you make in this entire paragraph. However, I feel it is too pessimistic. I believe a lot of what has happened has to do with the economy more than anything else--nobody wants to take risks. Hollywood has often gone through periods of stagnation before--those led to renaissances like when Coppola, Spielberg, Peckinpah, Allen, Milius, etc., birthed the American New Wave of cinema. There are still arthouse and drama being produced. It's just harder to find because of the over-saturation of the mediocre.

Same goes with anime.

Here's where I disagree. In effect, you're giving anime a sort of critical handicap. You give a handicap to individuals that you severely outclass--for example, were I to play Michael Jordan in basketball, the only way I'd stand a chance would be for me to have to only score a single basket the entire game to win, while he'd have to score 200 points. By giving anime this critical handicap, you are denying it's capability as a medium.

The works of directors like Satoshi Kon and Mamoru Oshii, or writers like Urobuchi Gen, I think, demonstrate this position you've taken as false.

To even go a step further: I, as a critique, don't give a damn for story complexity, which seems to be so popular among many critiques.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't necessarily disagree. Frankly, complexity of story is sometimes most definitely a negative, since some stories can become tremendously convoluted. However, please don't mistake complexity for depth (which I think most people do).

I don't believe there is such a thing as "2deep4u." I do, however, believe in people who are intellectually lazy as all hell.

What in the end matters ... so it gets ignored.

Yes!

Creativity in that aspect... zilch in the end.

YES!

Then again, anime probably shouldn't be judged as a medium of expression, for the reasons I did address: it simply doesn't intend to be.

This and what follows is an utter condemnation of anime as a medium. And boy, ouch, it must burn.

There are anime out there that are just as profound and creative as any other work of art you can imagine. Granted, not on the level of, perhaps, Milton's Paradise Lost, but then again, Milton ripped off a great many of his predecessors. He just had some extremely pretty words that enabled him to do some awesome stuff with his themes.

How is anime any different from any other medium? There is definitely some art being produced. Is any of it on the level of, say, Kubrick or Coppola? Only time will tell. The reason I go back and rewatch older movies and shows like the original Ghost in the Shell or Evangelion is because I keep finding new things every time I watch them--just like when I watch 2001: A Space Odyssey or Apocalypse Now. Maybe in 10 years, I'll feel the same way about 5 Centimeters Per Second.

scruffs said:
1. And dl;dw (really should be changed to don't like; drop it) is also the reason people are considered elitist (part of the reason reviewers/users get backlash) because instead of looking for higher quality anime. ... Other than, just stop watching if it was that bad?

You've been saying some decent stuff here, so I'm going to comment on what you've been saying most recently (as of my writing this).

Your first point is valid, except (and I know I am opening up a can of worms, here) I try to be objective.

Let me explain. I grade papers all the time. I use rubrics, standards, and other measurements designed to lessen my own subjective response to the paper and make myself more objective. You do not want your teacher, instructor, or professor being subjective on your paper but instead want them to tackle it as objectively as possible.

I try to do the same with any book or anime I'd review. I have a checklist of things to consider while reading/watching. There are some things that I've watched that I hated (like Darren Aronofsky's Pi) but still tried to rate as fairly as possible (I'm able to acknowledge it as a brilliant work despite my emotional response to it).

The reason to do this could be to see why something is successful. Sometimes, I'll sit through something and try to figure out why it works for some people but not for me. I gave Clannad a shot, dropped it but I want to go back to it to try to understand it even if I was bored to tears. I want to understand it.

I guess that is the difference between my approach and most other peoples' approaches. Even if I don't like it, I want to see why it either succeeded or failed.

Your assessment is spot-on. It keeps getting hijacked a bit by interlocutors, though, who distract the OP with ad hominem, straw man, and other arguments, and that doesn't help. I wouldn't blame the OP entirely.

Serious question here, I am not being facetious: What do you suggest he do when his interlocutors say that the anime he suggests are "trash" in response? I do want to know what you think his response should be.
*I'm only tackling the parts addressing me and I don't exactly know how to only keep those parts in the quote*

Yeah, I difinutely should've made it mess angry and made it probably a bit more clear that the fact that I don't like generic shows that have little effort is not the main focus. Edits should have been made to suit this topic given that I constructed it around a LN show review. I guess I was just too pissed at seeing people just do this kind of thing to realize that I could've handled it more carefully.

Exactly. They can't separate seeing the show they like her berated from their taste being belittled, and sometimes they just think they're above the people who disagree. Either way, it's still absurd that they would just act so immature over a series getting flak. I could understand a show's creator or any of its staff getting hurt over their show being heavily criticized, by the average fan? That's all to common silly.

In this case, "we" refers to other notable MAL anime reviewers like myself that have made reviews that have trashed st leadtnone of these kinds of shows, like a good amount of my friends on MAL. Hell, they even agreed (though some still agree that I handled it poorly) so I'm not entirely speaking or of my ass on that one, just in case that argument comes up.

Again, this was solely based on the observations that a lot of people were doing this kind of crap, and hell, even subsequent reviews of this show by people did exactly as I discussed, almost as if I predicted this would happen. Was I angry? Yes. In fact, I should've edited this before Orrin it up to make it sound...less like a total meltdown.

Even with my more aggressive tone at points, I always make sure to explain why something is wrong with a show, and with this review, more than any other, I do spend time explaining how t could've been a better show (hell, that some takes up about 1000 or so words). Barring the first few paragraphs, my tone was at worst, aggravated rather than infuriated to the point of screaming (I've only done that once, in my Hand Shakers review, mainly due to how awful the show was to the point where I needed the reader to really delve into my psyche and become deranged as just how awful the show was as I dismantled it piece by piece while starting off aggravated and gradually becoming angrier and angrbefore I mellowed out towards the end). Are some of my reviews (mainly the ones leaning towards the extremely negative scores side of things) too aggressive? Sure. Though, this is probably the first time I ever actually preached in a review for either a type of show to drown (or change) or for certain readers to change what they're doing. I only ever really see myself as just someone coming in and explaining what I feel works or doesn't work shot a series while making sure that I really put my emotions into it that I felt while watching and thinking about the show; nothing more or less.

Honestly, anime has been stagnant with at least one type of show multiple times over its history. Early 70's-80's: mecha. Late 80's-90's: Manly/bloodbath action shows. Early 2000's-mid 2010's: Long-running shounen. Early 2000's-now: Harem. Late 2000's-now: School battle (usually harem) LN adaptations.

I agree that Macross Plus and Gurren Lagann are some of the best anime out there (or at least if the current century). I haven't seen Escaflowme.
Jun 22, 2017 9:10 PM

Nov 2016
I went ahead and browsed some of the anime series you rated.

Even universally loved anime such as Youjo Senki - You give toxic ratings for. A 3 bro? come on.

If your tastes don't align with that of the average reviewer then what worth are they? =/

Jun 22, 2017 9:14 PM
Jul 2018
SpamuraiSensei said:

Even universally loved anime such as Youjo Senki - You give toxic ratings for. A 3 bro? come on.

If your tastes don't align with that of the average reviewer then what worth are they? =/

In all complete honesty that just goes a bit against about what a reviewer is supposed to be I guess, unless I got that wrong.

For a lot of people Youjo Senki can be considered a good series (hell even myself can say it's good for reasons) but others can go and think otherwise. I think what matters is that rather than looking at the rating alone, you can either ask the person why they didn't liked said series or if they have some sort of blog/review available to read within context, maybe you can disagree with it but I think that's the most... approachable thing, I guess.

Not trying to argue but these are my two cents.
Jun 22, 2017 9:30 PM

Nov 2016
Symphyon said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

In all complete honesty that just goes a bit against about what a reviewer is supposed to be I guess, unless I got that wrong.

For a lot of people Youjo Senki can be considered a good series (hell even myself can say it's good for reasons) but others can go and think otherwise. I think what matters is that rather than looking at the rating alone, you can either ask the person why they didn't liked said series or if they have some sort of blog/review available to read within context, maybe you can disagree with it but I think that's the most... approachable thing, I guess.

That's perfectly fine. Maybe people agree with his points and will flock to what he reviews.

But I won't be one of them. I don't like how he laces his words with venom and our tastes simply do not align on multiple anime.

I prefer more of an objective approach.
Jun 22, 2017 9:42 PM
Jul 2018
SpamuraiSensei said:
Symphyon said:

That's perfectly fine. Maybe people agree with his points and will flock to what he reviews.

But I won't be one of them. I don't like how he laces his words with venom and our tastes simply do not align on multiple anime.

I'm not really saying that you should agree with him at all but at the end I just wanted to point that out. To me as long as said person doesn't tell me shit to the point of going on a personal level (even though I wouldn't have done nothing, unless its different) I'm fine tbh.
Jun 22, 2017 9:49 PM

Nov 2016
Symphyon said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

I'm not really saying that you should agree with him at all but at the end I just wanted to point that out. To me as long as said person doesn't tell me shit to the point of going on a personal level (even though I wouldn't have done nothing, unless its different) I'm fine tbh.

More often than not, I don't actually read reviews to begin with. Just came across this thread and added in my 2 cents. I prefer to make up my own mind by looking at the plot and a brief summary of what its about, along with the general average score.

I browsed a few of your reviews and they seem to be pretty spot on with what the user average is.
Jun 22, 2017 9:58 PM
Jul 2018
SpamuraiSensei said:
Symphyon said:

More often than not, I don't actually read reviews to begin with. Just came across this thread and added in my 2 cents. I prefer to make up my own mind by looking at the plot and a brief summary of what its about, along with the general average score.

I browsed a few of your reviews and they seem to be pretty spot on with what the user average is.

Yeah same goes with me when it comes to anime in all honesty. When there's something that I'm interested the first thing I do is check the concept and then decide from there (though I usually give everything a try). And that's fine I guess.

Hmm well, regarding on my reviews I pretty much appreciate with that. Though I believe I ain't the best when it comes to writing them, but I try to give my two cents to get my point across as to what I like or dislike and whether or not said titles are worth a watch or not (at least imo).
Jun 23, 2017 12:35 AM

Jul 2016
I happened to watch some Akashic Records yesterday, and it was great. I watch these types of anime to relax. These animes are a nice formulaic break from all the death and seriousness in other animes, like dramas. Even if one were to watch slice of life, or Romances, those genres are quite serious.

So it's not that I have low standards, or am close minded, I just like to relax when I watch these animes.
Jun 23, 2017 12:54 AM

Nov 2009
CodeBlazeFate said:

At the heart of the dl;dr argument there are three ideas:
1) Can a person who hates ecchi really give a proper evaluation to an ecchi anime?
Too often I see these people go overly emotional in their hating, and lose sight even of the parts that they normally should be able to evaluate. To say nothing of actually knowing what makes a good ecchi and how pantyshots in Najika Blitz Tactics suck compared to Strike Witches.

2) We don't really want your emotional evaluation, like "this show is so damn bad". You're not our twin brother, we will see the show differently.
If "this show is so damn bad" is all you have to say, don't bother reviewing.
Instead, tell us what is actually wrong, and what is right in this show. "The show touched a lot of serious themes, but did not go into detail on any of them, making me feel cheated" is something we want to hear. "It was interesting to see these simplified archetypes of heroines colliding with harsh reality" is something we want to hear.
In particular, we want to hear about the parts that define the genre for us. Were the fights cool? Were the women hot? Was the friendship heartwarming? Was the mystery complicated?

3) Your complaining that the show is exactly what we want to watch does not lend any credibility to your review.
In fact, it makes us think the reviewer must be crazy: how can one hate that a show is full of girls? Girls are the best thing in the world, after all.
Double crazy points for complaining the show is supposed to appeal to people like me.

P.S. "you" here is a generic "you". I did not actually read any of your, @CodeBlazeFate , reviews to evaluate how useful they are.
Jun 23, 2017 1:55 AM

May 2015
metadata said:
However much I like considering writing and cinema a form of art, it has long lost it's meaning as an expressive medium, rather focussing now on sensationalism in the form of action and tragedy. It's a form of entertainment, and when people enjoy shows that follow a certain pattern, or shows that don't go much beyond aestheticism, or thrill, those shows will get made. Creativity is not the factor for a show to be good or respectable. It's the popularity that matters, an the big sack of cash that the producers get at the end of the day.

Certainly art that is creative, original and inspires would be my minimum requirements for art, but judging anime as art beyond one of aesthetics and thrill, is asking a tad much. To even go a step further: I, as a critique, don't give a damn for story complexity, which seems to be so popular among many critiques. What in the end matters is what I learn from a medium, through self-reflection, mostly. If an author spells things out I will get annoyed. Mostly because they can make mistakes out of lack of research - happens a lot, but people tend not to be studied enough themselves to notice, so it gets ignored.

Creativity in that aspect, doesn't per se have to be in defying tropes or doing things differently, but could very well mean exploring a topic much deeper, or presenting things in such a way that they allow the reader/viewer to interpret it differently. But honestly, how many children and political intrigues fantasy characters had, doesn't interest me a damn, if it teaches me zilch in the end.

If you're looking for art and creativity, you have to go out of your way for it, or look at more specific aspects of shows. (f.e. direction, music, voice acting... spotting those little details, if that aligns with your interest. I enjoy inspecting the direction, though I've had a lack of time to keep with that). Some shows will have nothing interesting to offer in those aspects tho. At that point, maybe we can consider the show shit.

What is the line between art and entertainment?

Cash is important for the producers, but not for us the watchers. All we care about is the quality.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 23, 2017 2:50 AM

Apr 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:

It's because I hated that anime, it's characters, it's story, andecdn its production values. I called it as I saw it. Even then, 3 is a pretty bad score but it's not a 2 or a 1. Also, what worth are they? They show a different side of the argument, points thstnthe other side didn't bring up, giving a clearer picture on things now they there is another perspective on the table.
SpamuraiSensei said:

My opening oeragraph was pretty savage on purpose, comparing it to a Michael Bay film. You could say I put the most clickbsit on there whilst still giving an honest opinion. If you disagree with my views, don't let the fact that my review is of a mean tone stop you from wondering what I disliked about it. Also, an objective approach. That's borderline impossible for anyone. We can combine objectivity and subjectivity (hell, the magnitude of our objective points is subjective anyway), but say I have the story a 1 and you completely agree with my points and see all of those exact problems. You can still feel that the magnitude of those errors isn't as harsh and give it a 2 or a 3. See what I'm getting st here?
CodeBlazeFateJun 23, 2017 3:19 AM
Jun 23, 2017 3:11 AM

Apr 2016
flannan said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

1) Can a person who hates ecchi really give a proper evaluation to an ecchi anime?
Too often I see these people go overly emotional in their hating, and lose sight even of the parts that they normally should be able to evaluate. To say nothing of actually knowing what makes a good ecchi and how pantyshots in Najika Blitz Tactics suck compared to Strike Witches.

2) We don't really want your emotional evaluation, like "this show is so damn bad". You're not our twin brother, we will see the show differently.
Instead, tell us what is actually wrong, and what is right in this show. "The show touched a lot of serious themes, but did not go into detail on any of them, making me feel cheated" is something we want to hear. "It was interesting to see these simplified archetypes of heroines colliding with harsh reality" is something we want to hear.
In particular, we want to hear about the parts that define the genre for us. Were the fights cool? Were the women hot? Was the friendship heartwarming? Was the mystery complicated?

3) Your complaining that the show is exactly what we want to watch does not lend any credibility to your review.
In fact, it makes us think the reviewer must be crazy: how can one hate that a show is full of girls? Girls are the best thing in the world, after all.
Double crazy points for complaining the show is supposed to appeal to people like me.

P.S. "you" here is a generic "you". I did not actually read any of your, @CodeBlazeFate , reviews to evaluate how useful they are.
Even still, it's a terrible argument that is hypocritical.

1. I don't hate ecchi/fan service if I don't it down well. Hell, I have Keijo a 7 since it embraced its fan service absurdity without being just a trope-ridden show. It was absurd and over the top and with character I enjoyed.

2. You really only read the very, very top part, don't you? For the generic you side of things,they go into pretty good detail explaining why a show is bad rather than saying "it sucks and I hate it". Sure, a lot of them will say "trope reliance that I hate", but they could also have an issue with how the plot went, how awful certain characters are, and how abysmal the production values are. Not only have I done that a few times in those cases as well that you argue about, but so have my friends (who all fall into the same category). For the me side of things, let's just say that my review of this show also went into plenty of detail on why the show sucked for me on a visual and writing level, and that there were ways for the story to have been so much better in my eyes.

3. We don't hate these shows because it's girls. We hate them because all some of them do is pander without effort in our eyes and waste good concepts. If a show would cater to you guys but have decent characters and do things to make us excited without wasting a good concept on a bad or trite story with bsd or trite characters (see: both seasons of Code Geass, Gurren Lagann to a lesser extent, Zeta Gundam to a much, much lesser extent, 00 to some extent), then for most part, we would still like it about as much as you guys do (sometimes less, sometimes more). Also,not checking a source (in this case, a review) to see if that holds any water? For shame. If you did, you would see that none of what I said in the review after the preamble fell into any of your 3 points, and a lot of these reviews don't either, once you look deep enough to see that they're often way more than just "I don't like these tropes or how reliant this show is on them".
Jun 23, 2017 4:22 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:

1. I don't hate ecchi/fan service if I don't it down well. Hell, I have Keijo a 7 since it embraced its fan service absurdity without being just a trope-ridden show. It was absurd and over the top and with character I enjoyed.

I feel like this is misinterpreting the point he was trying to make. I don't think he was speaking of you specifically, for starters, but the idea I think he has behind it is something I know pretty well as an ecchifag myself and can actually agree with, albeit I think the issue goes beyond what he described it as here as well.

With ecchi specifically, there are 3 types of reviews (4 if we separate negativity and positive responses entirely) that comprise what feels like 99.999% of the entire pool to choose from, none of which seem particularly helpful to somebody like me - the first being the kind he brought up, being negative reviews that come across very heavily as if they made up their mind beforehand because of a dislike of the genre with common characteristics being complaining about the ecchi even existing within an ecchi anime to begin with or blaming this sort of thing for the downfall of the anime or just outright what your friend LIQ seems to do in his reviews, which both often come across as unreasonable as well as demeaning and disconnected from the audience, making them useless in anything except maybe circle-jerking over it with other people who hate it to such an extent. The second being overly positive reviews that exist ostensibly for the purpose of counter-acting the first type of review, which are often much more poorly written and still fail to expound on anything relevant to us, only there to say "Hey, look, it's not all negative!!!" I'm sure you're familiar with these types of reviews because they're not exclusive to ecchistuffs, and the various reasons why they come up short. Or the rarest of the three, well-written reviews that expound on their thoughts well but still feel so disconnected from the audience that form the backbone of why these shows continue to exist that they're still just useless.

The only review I've seen be well-written and felt completely connected to me as an audience member is is HaXXspetten's review of the TLR:D manga. Other than that, it's really really easy to group up the bulk of ecchi reviews into one of those three categories.

So with that said, why should somebody like me or Flannan care about any of these reviews to begin with when they're so often largely irrelevant to us as viewers? Even with the best of them, being the third group, there's nothing new to be said and no new insight to be gained on our end, often just "Oh, hey, maybe people who aren't really that into ecchi can enjoy this as well for these reasons" if it's a positive review and nothing new to be added if it's a negative review. Useless. Useless useless useless useless.

So what do you suggest be done, other than just sort of dl;dr reviews that clearly don't serve any purpose for you whatsoever? Not even exclusive to this specific genre, but reviews that are often largely irrelevant to what you seek from a product whatever those things you seek may be? It's not being used as an argument, it's just outright skipping past it without really doing anything with it in general.

Discussion needs a commonly agreed upon standard to thrive - if I were to praise a show for the tits and you were to dislike it for the characterization, then there isn't much that we can have in the way of discussion because at the heart of what we're talking about are two entirely separate entities. However, if I were to praise a show for its characterization and you were to disagree with my assessment of its characterization, then we could talk about it and share our takes and perspectives and maybe walk away from it with some sort of insight. The former case is when dl;dr is relevant, albeit it doesn't need to be stated in the discussion itself as much as just a catalyst for walking away from a discussion in general.
ManabanJun 23, 2017 4:46 AM

Jun 23, 2017 4:24 AM

Nov 2009
CodeBlazeFate said:
*I'm only tackling the parts addressing me and I don't exactly know how to only keep those parts in the quote*

BBCode is pretty simple to use. You just edit the message that appears after you get a quote as usual. Delete all the parts that aren't what you need, and leave the ones you need.
 As long as the number of beginnings, like [quote=CodeBlazeFate message=51223025] is the same as number of endings like [/quote], it will work fine.

Editing a big reply can seem hard at first, so try practicing on short messages.

CodeBlazeFate said:

What if this is one of the first of this type of show the critic has seen (like me; excluding Ass War season 2, this is the 3rd show of this type that I've seen)?

Personally, I would avoid writing about things I don't really understand all that well in a context that does not encourage discussion, like a review.
But I would expect somebody new to the subgenre to feel that the subgenre is fresh and enjoyable, not stale and overused. (that person may, of course, hate the subgenre for other reasons)

CodeBlazeFate said:
What if there just aware of the tropes from other sources and see them quite frequently in each of these few kinds of anime they've seen?

Nothing is new under this sun. Well, not really, but still, very few anime get the honor of introducing something completely new to the medium. Everything is a trope that somebody has used. If it isn't, it will become a trope as other authors see how good it is.

CodeBlazeFate said:
What if the person is against dropping shows?

This road leads only to pain. Either you learn to enjoy pretty much anything, or you learn to drop things you don't like.

CodeBlazeFate said:
What if they've seen so many of these shows but find a few that are way better or way worse than most of these?

This is the only valid reason. A review written by such a person would be quite different from random bashing of the whole genre that haters are prone to write.

Jun 23, 2017 4:41 AM

Nov 2009
CodeBlazeFate said:
flannan said:

2. You really only read the very, very top part, don't you? For the generic you side of things,they go into pretty good detail explaining why a show is bad rather than saying "it sucks and I hate it". Sure, a lot of them will say "trope reliance that I hate", but they could also have an issue with how the plot went, how awful certain characters are, and how abysmal the production values are. Not only have I done that a few times in those cases as well that you argue about, but so have my friends (who all fall into the same category). For the me side of things, let's just say that my review of this show also went into plenty of detail on why the show sucked for me on a visual and writing level, and that there were ways for the story to have been so much better in my eyes.

3. We don't hate these shows because it's girls. We hate them because all some of them do is pander without effort in our eyes and waste good concepts. If a show would cater to you guys but have decent characters and do things to make us excited without wasting a good concept on a bad or trite story with bsd or trite characters (see: both seasons of Code Geass, Gurren Lagann to a lesser extent, Zeta Gundam to a much, much lesser extent, 00 to some extent), then for most part, we would still like it about as much as you guys do (sometimes less, sometimes more). Also,not checking a source (in this case, a review) to see if that holds any water? For shame. If you did, you would see that none of what I said in the review after the preamble fell into any of your 3 points, and a lot of these reviews don't either, once you look deep enough to see that they're often way more than just "I don't like these tropes or how reliant this show is on them".

I repeat. I did not actually read any of your, @CodeBlazeFate , reviews to evaluate how useful they are. Not even the very top. My reply is entirely generic. And I do not care.

2. Did you honestly evaluate all these variables, or did you let your hatred get the better of you and slandered even the good parts?
Also, I have no idea why so many people care about production values until the show actually starts looking bad.

3. "waste good concepts"?! I hate you snobbish reviewers because you make it sound like a premise cannot be reused to make a different show.
Sure, SAO wasn't a grimdark gorefest like Mirai Nikki. And that's okay, because it was something different (and better, in my opinion). Log Horizon, Overlord and Grimgar caught up to other aspects of MMORPGs SAO left unexplored.
And that's the way it should be! Good works stand on the shoulders of other good works, and enable even more good works to flourish.

"without effort"?! There is a lot of effort involved in making a good show. Hell, even making a single good ecchi shot is beyond my ability. To say nothing of engaging story for an adventure or a hurricane of jokes for a comedy. Just because the author did not focus on your favorite part, does not mean there is no effort in there.

But in the end, what you said in point 3 means "I want all shows to pander to me". Sorry, even if you are a highly stereotypical otaku like me, you will not get this situation. There would always be shows that obviously work well for other people but don't work for you. I don't think any story should be good in all possible aspects, and demanding that from all anime is just ridiculous.
Jun 23, 2017 4:59 AM

Apr 2016
flannan said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

I repeat. I did not actually read any of your, @CodeBlazeFate , reviews to evaluate how useful they are. Not even the very top. My reply is entirely generic. And I do not care.

2. Did you honestly evaluate all these variables, or did you let your hatred get the better of you and slandered even the good parts?
Also, I have no idea why so many people care about production values until the show actually starts looking bad.

3. "waste good concepts"?! I hate you snobbish reviewers because you make it sound like a premise cannot be reused to make a different show.
Sure, SAO wasn't a grimdark gorefest like Mirai Nikki. And that's okay, because it was something different (and better, in my opinion). Log Horizon, Overlord and Grimgar caught up to other aspects of MMORPGs SAO left unexplored.
And that's the way it should be! Good works stand on the shoulders of other good works, and enable even more good works to flourish.

"without effort"?! There is a lot of effort involved in making a good show. Hell, even making a single good ecchi shot is beyond my ability. To say nothing of engaging story for an adventure or a hurricane of jokes for a comedy. Just because the author did not focus on your favorite part, does not mean there is no effort in there.

But in the end, what you said in point 3 means "I want all shows to pander to me". Sorry, even if you are a highly stereotypical otaku like me, you will not get this situation. There would always be shows that obviously work well for other people but don't work for you. I don't think any story should be good in all possible aspects, and demanding that from all anime is just ridiculous.
It's not for evaluating usefulness: it's for seeing if these points directly apply to me in this situation and to a lesser extent, others in that kind of situation as well.

I acknowledged that there were parts in certain arcs that I liked and that there were good ideas that I'd expanded upon, could've worked really well (and I spent a lot of time explaining how). I utterly despise the show but I didn't let that cloud my judgement all that much. Sure, there were moments I said sort of killed the show for me early on but I still gave credit where I saw something worth crediting.

It's not that at all. A show can waste a good concept by plaguing it with bad characters, a rushed or poorly thought or storyline, or anything that prevents the concept from being used to its full potential while keeping the integrity of the story in tact. Izetta wasted a good concept on my opinion because the story already had a few blemishes in the first half but it's second half tanked horribly. This show wasted concepts by hardly expanding upon them and rushing through everything, when they could've let the nature of those scenarios flow naturally (or attempt to do so) and then the first half of the show could've worked better, with certain alterations (cut out the rape scene, take out character monologues about why they're doing what they're doing, give more room for more characters in the first arc to do something in order to allow the second arc to capitalize on that and lead to a grander payoff during that second arc). SAO wasted its concept by havingbad characters, abysmal time skips (leading to bad pacing), a truck load of plot holes, and having a game that even from a gaming standpoint is actually a terrible game regardless of whether or not it was a death trap. I know that many stories can use similar concepts and pull them off well, but that doesn't mean we can't bemoan those that we feel don't capitalize well enough on those opportunities.

We care about production values because studios care about production values. If a show looks bad or had limited or bad animation (or bad editing), then we are going to explain why. If a show is very well directed and edited and looks great (as well as having well done animation that hardly repeats itself), then we are going praise it as wel. I mean, people die doing this kind of work so why should we acknowledge it? Why shouldn't we care about the visual side of things?

It takes enough effort to write a story in order to effectively have it acknowledge as a story. It takes more effort to tighten up a script and make it so it's characters aren't one-dimensional, or even really flesh out a concept. If it tends to fall on a certain formula or certain archetypes all the time and not do a thing else with what it has presented itself, then not enough effort was made to make the story good (even for certain members of the target audience). It could be due to a number of reasons that we are unaware of, but regardless, the product will suffer.

I'm not demanding that all anime have perfect stories (hell, that's nothing more than a pipe dream). All I said was that more of them need to at least try and get or if s comfort zone, do more than just have a different premise to a certain type of show to make it distinct. Maybe throw a twist in that works, maybe okay around with or subvert tropes, present s character one way and make a good effort to Kane that character largely different from what we initially saw him/her as (for example, developing a typical tsundere to be something more). Didn't mean a story will automatically be great or good, but those efforts will at least be acknowledged.
CodeBlazeFateJun 23, 2017 5:16 AM
Jun 23, 2017 5:13 AM

Apr 2016
Manaban said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

I feel like this is misinterpreting the point he was trying to make. I don't think he was speaking of you specifically, for starters, but the idea I think he has behind it is something I know pretty well as an ecchifag myself and can actually agree with, albeit I think the issue goes beyond what he described it as here as well.

With ecchi specifically, there are 3 types of reviews (4 if we separate negativity and positive responses entirely) that comprise what feels like 99.999% of the entire pool to choose from, none of which seem particularly helpful to somebody like me - the first being the kind he brought up, being negative reviews that come across very heavily as if they made up their mind beforehand because of a dislike of the genre with common characteristics being complaining about the ecchi even existing within an ecchi anime to begin with or blaming this sort of thing for the downfall of the anime or just outright what your friend LIQ seems to do in his reviews, which both often come across as unreasonable as well as demeaning and disconnected from the audience, making them useless in anything except maybe circle-jerking over it with other people who hate it to such an extent. The second being overly positive reviews that exist ostensibly for the purpose of counter-acting the first type of review, which are often much more poorly written and still fail to expound on anything relevant to us, only there to say "Hey, look, it's not all negative!!!" I'm sure you're familiar with these types of reviews because they're not exclusive to ecchistuffs, and the various reasons why they come up short. Or the rarest of the three, well-written reviews that expound on their thoughts well but still feel so disconnected from the audience that form the backbone of why these shows continue to exist that they're still just useless.

The only review I've seen be well-written and felt completely connected to me as an audience member is is HaXXspetten's review of the TLR:D manga. Other than that, it's really really easy to group up the bulk of ecchi reviews into one of those three categories.

So with that said, why should somebody like me or Flannan care about any of these reviews to begin with when they're so often largely irrelevant to us as viewers? Even with the best of them, being the third group, there's nothing new to be said and no new insight to be gained on our end, often just "Oh, hey, maybe people who aren't really that into ecchi can enjoy this as well for these reasons" if it's a positive review and nothing new to be added if it's a negative review. Useless. Useless useless useless useless.

So what do you suggest be done, other than just sort of dl;dr reviews that clearly don't serve any purpose for you whatsoever? Not even exclusive to this specific genre, but reviews that are often largely irrelevant to what you seek from a product whatever those things you seek may be? It's not being used as an argument, it's just outright skipping past it without really doing anything with it in general.

Discussion needs a commonly agreed upon standard to thrive - if I were to praise a show for the tits and you were to dislike it for the characterization, then there isn't much that we can have in the way of discussion because at the heart of what we're talking about are two entirely separate entities. However, if I were to praise a show for its characterization and you were to disagree with my assessment of its characterization, then we could talk about it and share our takes and perspectives and maybe walk away from it with some sort of insight. The former case is when dl;dr is relevant, albeit it doesn't need to be stated in the discussion itself as much as just a catalyst for walking away from a discussion in general.
In fairness, you're right about that. He was saying "you" in general and I forgot to tweak that.

Honestly, both sides (hate and love reviews) can be pretty wrong about a show or just have a closed-minded miser to either the show or people who watch it. The third camp is easily the best camp since they approach the show mainly based on execution. After all, even a show they seems pedestrian can surprise us and even a potentially interesting story can fall apart for us.

Reviews aren't about conversation per se but they can start up one (especially when they mention that they want to start they discussion), and the dl;dw argument is almost always there to try to end the conversation before t had even begun by not even trying to understand the other side and just saying "shut up as stay away from what I like". Even if people who use it have encountered plenty of closed minded individuals that hate their show for reasons (at that rate, usually ones that are exclusively they the show is heavily pedestrian), that doesn't mean that they should use it on everyone who hates their show: they could end up having an actual discussion and understand one another, see things about the show they didn't before. Maybe the one who likes the show will begin seeing that "maybe he hates it because the story really is a mess and maybe he's right but I think I still like it regardless" and the other guy things "I really understand why he likes this show, even if I have all these problems with it". Using the dl;dw argument makes that impossible unless the other person is adamant enough to show them their side that the dl;dw user purposely ignored. If you disagree, then you have the right to challenge that person on what he believes about the show (as long as it's civil). If you agree to disagree but the end, that's fine; that's what usually happens anyway. Like how I basically engaged with you guys: I still hate this show and some of the others like it that I've seen, but I admit that there is craft being put into making these shows thstnoander to you guys, and hopefully you're warming up to at least seeing what we have to say beyond the clickbait introductory paragraphs and the score.
Jun 23, 2017 5:16 AM

Apr 2016
myengisbad said:
this thread became fucking popular

great for me the first 2 eps of kakegurui will be aired live now http://twitcasting.tv/kakegurui_anime/
It did. Didn't expect such a turnout (negative or positive).
Jun 23, 2017 5:57 AM

Jun 2015
Seems like an idealistic stance (or in other words, a pointless rant). As long as a certain type of productions mean money they will keep being produced. For many watchers all those light novel adaptations are simply what anime is about. Sad, but true.

From their perspective you might be misjudging the show or asking for something that is not meant to deliver. Different points of view, maybe. Other people will try to rationalize the matter by throwing the "enjoyment" type of arguments. I guess it is safe to presume that all of us watch anime for that same reason (excluding the few tryhards that seemingly have a love/hate relationship with some titles, and complete them for ulterior motives that at the end of the day might translate in some sort of amusement as well).

Perception of quality is subjective and largely depends on what you have watched beforehand, and also on your personality and way to approach the show. So ye, all in all there's little you can do or hope for in regards of being disapproved from time to time if you make negative reviews, independently of the anime you happened to approach.
Jun 23, 2017 7:20 PM

Jun 2017
I'm just a bit confused on OP's complaint. OP, could you clarify what you mean? Are you upset that anime's that you believe are poorly made get better ratings or more praise than you deem appropriate?

In that case, take comfort in the fact that you don't have to watch anime that you don't enjoy, and that different people have different tastes. Person A may like an anime that person B absolutely hates, and while the quality of something does have some objectivity, it is mostly subjective.

If something that you personally dislike becomes popular or gains praise, it's okay to be frustrated, but it's not okay to lash out at the people who like a certain anime.

Aside from that, I'm sorry that your frustrated, but I hope that you can try to forget about that and just enjoy shows for what they give and ignore shows for what they don't.

:)
Sour Patch Kids. Sweet, sour,
Jun 23, 2017 7:32 PM

Apr 2016
kurapika-chu said:
I'm just a bit confused on OP's complaint. OP, could you clarify what you mean? Are you upset that anime's that you believe are poorly made get better ratings or more praise than you deem appropriate?

In that case, take comfort in the fact that you don't have to watch anime that you don't enjoy, and that different people have different tastes. Person A may like an anime that person B absolutely hates, and while the quality of something does have some objectivity, it is mostly subjective.

If something that you personally dislike becomes popular or gains praise, it's okay to be frustrated, but it's not okay to lash out at the people who like a certain anime.

Aside from that, I'm sorry that your frustrated, but I hope that you can try to forget about that and just enjoy shows for what they give and ignore shows for what they don't.

Honestly, neither even constitute as my main argument. They were just the backdrop the the ultimate picture of what I was trying to say whilst countering the usual knee jerk response people have about critics attacking their LN adaptations. I failed to see that more original anime were already being made and that there were a few of these LN anime that did take risks and try to not just be "another of its kind", which is the same problem that mecha had back in the day.

I'm not lashing our at people who like a certain anime: I'm lashing out at people who act like assholes about critics or the community dissing an anime they like and acting like we're either foolish or unreasonable here. That was what I was mainly criticizing. I was just using people who did this for LN anime as the main example given that it was the except of an LN adaptation review.
Jun 23, 2017 7:35 PM

Jun 2017
CodeBlazeFate said:
kurapika-chu said:

Honestly, neither even constitute as my main argument. They were just the backdrop the the ultimate picture of what I was trying to say whilst countering the usual knee jerk response people have about critics attacking their LN adaptations. I failed to see that more original anime were already being made and that there were a few of these LN anime that did take risks and try to not just be "another of its kind", which is the same problem that mecha had back in the day.

I'm not lashing our at people who like a certain anime: I'm lashing out at people who act like assholes about critics or the community dissing an anime they like and acting like we're either foolish or unreasonable here. That was what I was mainly criticizing. I was just using people who did this for LN anime as the main example given that it was the except of an LN adaptation review.

Ah okay, you are upset at the reactions of people, not the anime itself. Okay, I understand. Thanks for clarifying!
Sour Patch Kids. Sweet, sour,
Jun 23, 2017 7:37 PM

Dec 2013
Solution - watch better anime. So much greatness you haven't seen it's ridiculous. 3/10.
Jun 23, 2017 8:25 PM

Jul 2015

1. Can you link me the berserk and kabaneri review? I wanna see just how they handled reviewing those anime.

2. Can you blame them, Talking about generic anime was a big component of this thread after all.

3a. "What if this is one of the first of this type of show the critic has seen (like me; excluding Ass War season 2, this is the 3rd show of this type that I've seen)?"

Was the experience with that anime satisfactory? Do you believe that further attempts at finding a better anime in that genre is worth sifting though all the bad ones?

3b. "What if there just aware of the tropes from other sources and see them quite frequently in each of these few kinds of anime they've seen?"

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying say on this one. But what exactly is wrong or right with tropes?

3c. "What if the person is against dropping shows?"

I disagree with the no drop policy the most but that's because I've paid for or legally streamed almost everything on my list. And to me, it seems kinda ridiculous to contribute to something I don't consider worthwhile anymore. When i could be spending that on something I'd want another season of.

3d. "What if the person felt passionately her he had something he wanted to say about it even early about why he/she didn't like the show?"

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here.

3e. "What if they've seen so many of these shows but find a few hat are way better or way worse than most of these?"

Out of all these, this is the most reasonable but only if they give some statistical proof that there is signs of over saturation.
Jun 24, 2017 2:00 AM

May 2015
kurapika-chu said:

The gist of it is that people should stop being angry at critics for not liking everything. We don't have to. We have our seasons for our preferences and can explain them. The whole 'oh you're just a critic shut up' just ruins productive discussions.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 24, 2017 4:19 AM

Apr 2016
scruffs said:

1. Can you link me the berserk and kabaneri review? I wanna see just how they handled reviewing those anime.

2. Can you blame them, Talking about generic anime was a big component of this thread after all.

3a. "What if this is one of the first of this type of show the critic has seen (like me; excluding Ass War season 2, this is the 3rd show of this type that I've seen)?"

Was the experience with that anime satisfactory? Do you believe that further attempts at finding a better anime in that genre is worth sifting though all the bad ones?

3b. "What if there just aware of the tropes from other sources and see them quite frequently in each of these few kinds of anime they've seen?"

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying say on this one. But what exactly is wrong or right with tropes?

3c. "What if the person is against dropping shows?"

I disagree with the no drop policy the most but that's because I've paid for or legally streamed almost everything on my list. And to me, it seems kinda ridiculous to contribute to something I don't consider worthwhile anymore. When i could be spending that on something I'd want another season of.

3d. "What if the person felt passionately her he had something he wanted to say about it even early about why he/she didn't like the show?"

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here.

3e. "What if they've seen so many of these shows but find a few hat are way better or way worse than most of these?"

Out of all these, this is the most reasonable but only if they give some statistical proof that there is signs of over saturation.

Yes, because hey clearly didn't even read the 3rd or final paragraph (at least not well enough for the latter) and assumed that this was only about originality of shows and wanting a certain breed of show to decrease. Could I have made it clear sooner, perhaps, but it's like they stopped midway through. Hell, some of them didn't even read the title.

My first experience wasn't satisfactory with the genre whatsoever but I heard that there were some pretty good ones as well as some pretty bad ones. So far I can say I saw some of the worse ones and that I haven't stumbled onto one of the better ones. I was aware of this genre going in (which is a factor no one here considered). I believe that if I find a good one, it's worth it even if I run into a few clunkers along the way (since I can gain catharsis by reviewing them while the one is enjoy keeps eluding me).

What if the person is already aware of a lot of the things this type of show does (via seeing the covers of a lot of these anime or watching videos of people who have seen many of these shows)? I was one such example, hence why I knew none of this was exactly fresh (just like a high school setting in your anime is never fresh to any new audience member anymore, and because stuff like that are so popular in anime cliches that you're bound to run not only into discussions about it, but tons of anime covers and synopses that show a high school setting). Also, tropes aren't inherently wrong, let me make that clear. It's only when A.The show is so heavily reliant on tropes to keep your attention and B.They use the most disgusting or embarrassing variants of those tropes, that a show like this becomes actively terrible and hard to sit through, case in point, Akashic Records and both the boob grabbing scene that is so explicitly erotic to the point that you think you're watching hentai for a second, and the attempted rape scene with lackadaisical comedy.

Well, I'm usually against the drop policy myself since there is almost always a benefit to watching anime, terrible ones since I usually have enough I want to say in order to explain why they sucked. It's very rare that an anime makes me have no reason to care about watching it again, and those and when I feel my time was wasted.

What if the person already knew what he wanted to say about the show he didn't like while he was watching it and decided to gather more thoughts along he way until he finished watching the show? Isn't that a good reason to stick around?

You can simply head to their list to see that those people have seen ones they've found better or worse, though this exact point had nothing to do with over-saturation so I'm not sure where you got that from.

Mod Edit: Also, @CodeBlazeFate No linking other peoples reviews on the forums. This can be seen as bait, and is not allowed. If you wanna post a review, screenshot it without the users name in it.
TyrelJun 27, 2017 2:24 PM
Jun 24, 2017 7:02 AM

Jul 2015
@Fvlminatvs

scruffs said:

1. I pay/legally stream almost everything I've watched. Therefore I view this more from an economic standpoint. As in why would I contribute to something that I don't consider worthwhile anymore. When instead I could contribute to something I would like to see more of. I know anime should not be immune to criticism, but this is just my personal reason why I don't continue anime I don't like.

2. Really depends on how and who OP "sells" the anime to. From personal experience, I found that underselling works best. As in avoiding words like. The best, greatest, most or similar words. And you have to know a little bit of the rcommendee's taste before even suggesting a series. Like would you recommend berserk 2k16/17 to someone who hates cgi? Or mushishi to someone that hates episodic series? But ultimately all op can do is give another suggestion both parties taste align.
Jun 24, 2017 10:51 AM

May 2015
As for the topic of this thread and your other replies:
people get too triggered by reviews and even though you think his review does deserve the backlash the difference is that he is attacking a show but most of the backlash tends to be directed towards the reviewer not the review itself and more importantly not the points the review makes.

Are you fine with people responding to criticism of an anime with ad hominen and insults?

Although the correct approach would be to just to report the review and move on, this attitude is common to encounter for those who write reviews regularly so it's not a bad thing to start a discussion about it.
If you want to see the elitists without the stereotypical LOGH and Tatamy Galaxy then just make a review of the most popular anime this season and rate it a 1, what you write doesn't matter at all.
TyrelJun 27, 2017 2:26 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2017 11:21 AM

Jun 2016
I think it's alright if those specific people don't go outside and make complete idiots of themselves and tell a bunch of normies that incest is acceptable in some instances, perving on lolis is considered normal and girls in this ethereal plane are defects.
Jun 30, 2017 3:04 AM

Nov 2009
CodeBlazeFate said:
flannan said:

It's not for evaluating usefulness: it's for seeing if these points directly apply to me in this situation and to a lesser extent, others in that kind of situation as well.

I acknowledged that there were parts in certain arcs that I liked and that there were good ideas that I'd expanded upon, could've worked really well (and I spent a lot of time explaining how). I utterly despise the show but I didn't let that cloud my judgement all that much. Sure, there were moments I said sort of killed the show for me early on but I still gave credit where I saw something worth crediting.

It's not that at all. A show can waste a good concept by plaguing it with bad characters, a rushed or poorly thought or storyline, or anything that prevents the concept from being used to its full potential while keeping the integrity of the story in tact. Izetta wasted a good concept on my opinion because the story already had a few blemishes in the first half but it's second half tanked horribly. This show wasted concepts by hardly expanding upon them and rushing through everything, when they could've let the nature of those scenarios flow naturally (or attempt to do so) and then the first half of the show could've worked better, with certain alterations (cut out the rape scene, take out character monologues about why they're doing what they're doing, give more room for more characters in the first arc to do something in order to allow the second arc to capitalize on that and lead to a grander payoff during that second arc). SAO wasted its concept by havingbad characters, abysmal time skips (leading to bad pacing), a truck load of plot holes, and having a game that even from a gaming standpoint is actually a terrible game regardless of whether or not it was a death trap. I know that many stories can use similar concepts and pull them off well, but that doesn't mean we can't bemoan those that we feel don't capitalize well enough on those opportunities.

Indeed, many works have room for improvement. Especially when you want them to be something else altogether.
I have not watched Izetta beyond 1st episode, so I will take your word on it, but I disagree with you on the point of SAO. Maybe because I see SAO as having a very different concept that you do. Maybe it's because I have been playing games for a long time, and have a different perspective. But I think it's best to not derail this discussion with this argument.

CodeBlazeFate said:
We care about production values because studios care about production values. If a show looks bad or had limited or bad animation (or bad editing), then we are going to explain why. If a show is very well directed and edited and looks great (as well as having well done animation that hardly repeats itself), then we are going praise it as wel. I mean, people die doing this kind of work so why should we acknowledge it? Why shouldn't we care about the visual side of things?

Well said. I have to agree.
Even if this doesn't influence my own enjoyment all that much.

CodeBlazeFate said:
It takes enough effort to write a story in order to effectively have it acknowledge as a story. It takes more effort to tighten up a script and make it so it's characters aren't one-dimensional, or even really flesh out a concept. If it tends to fall on a certain formula or certain archetypes all the time and not do a thing else with what it has presented itself, then not enough effort was made to make the story good (even for certain members of the target audience). It could be due to a number of reasons that we are unaware of, but regardless, the product will suffer.

Isn't tightening up a script and making characters not one-dimensional opposing forces?
Either way, I assume that the anime's director and scriptwriter did put in some effort into this part, and that's why anime isn't exactly like the original work.

CodeBlazeFate said:
I'm not demanding that all anime have perfect stories (hell, that's nothing more than a pipe dream). All I said was that more of them need to at least try and get or if s comfort zone, do more than just have a different premise to a certain type of show to make it distinct. Maybe throw a twist in that works, maybe okay around with or subvert tropes, present s character one way and make a good effort to Kane that character largely different from what we initially saw him/her as (for example, developing a typical tsundere to be something more). Didn't mean a story will automatically be great or good, but those efforts will at least be acknowledged.

In my experience, most anime already do things on this front, with each author bringing his own interpretations and experiences into anime.
People would often compare .hack, SAO, Log Horizon and Overlord, but they have very different perspectives of MMORPGs.
Kamito and Ichika might be the only guys in their profession in their worlds (Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance and Infinite Stratos), but their relationship dynamics ended up quite different, partly because their worlds are different, and partly because they're very different people.
Jun 30, 2017 5:07 AM

Apr 2016
@flannan Glad we can agree or agree to disagree on some aspects. I'll only tackle points 1 and 3.

I've been playing video games since I was 4, so the concept of people being trapped in an MMORPG is still very interesting, even if it is only a backdrop to what's ultimately a romance story. The fact that the video game itself is poorly designed just makes the show worse in hindsight since I didn't really notice it beforehand, and it's not like the game was a bad game on its own right on purpose aside from the whole death trap thing.

Tightening up a script and making your characters not one-dimensional really aren't opposing forces. In fact, doing one can actually make doing the other easier sometimes since they can go hand in hand. When characters simply have the most basic personality traits without any real progression or fleshing out on their traits and actual sense of being a person, the script can only do so much with hem without deciding to demand more, and if your story takes a very simple and blatantly telegraphed plot, you'll have to try to contort it a bit with more interesting characters just to spice things up.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

19 by Ex-Aid »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 11 hours ago

23 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

983 by SebasL21 »»
5 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

67 by FanofAction »»
12 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

211 by TitanOfPlasma »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.