Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2017 4:05 AM

Apr 2016
*except from my Akashic Records review*

I have something to get out of my chest because while this insufferable mentality I’m about to describe isn't truly widespread, I've still seen it a handful of times, and quite frankly, this is something that I'm already beyond sick of seeing, and people who have this mentality I'm about to describe infuriate me with their ignorance and sheer vindictiveness.

If a title is almost nothing but recycled content from shows prior, it has no excuse and little reason to both exist and be defended as a work of fiction. It seems like creativity isn't as valued as it should be and this has been a problem in every industry at almost every point in history for one reason or another. With the anime in the 80's/90's, it was schlock bloodbath OVAs and nowadays in anime, it's Light Novel School Battle Harem anime. Titles that largely or even entirely fit these descriptions can still break the mold and achieve something greater, like Berserk in the former category Chivalry of a Failed Knight in the latter category.

We do not have some "mythical, absurdly high, nigh-unachievable standard" these assholes keep accusing us of having! I'm sick of ignorant pricks assuming that we do! We just want anime to actually have a sense of life, a sense of passion, and a reason to exist outside of making corporate money from people who have loved tons of shows borderline identical to what they're currently watching and fapping to. Even among school battle (usually harem) anime, there are some that go above and beyond, like the aforementioned Chivalry of a Failed Knight. In fact, even among the standards if these copy-paste anime, some manage to really sink below to almost creative levels of suck, as if to prove that there is a standard to hold titles like this by and that even this kind of anime has its own hierarchy like all the rest.

In summation, we do not all have some absurd standard for anime, we just want these kinds of titles to die out (or just not be so widespread) so that anime that actually have passion and creativity can more easily flourish, and even by the standards of the now incessant LN school battle harem anime, some can go beyond the expectations or fail to even meet such bottom of the barrel standards. If you enjoy these titles, that's fine, just at least have some standards regarding these things since not all of them are of equal quality and the ones with the least amount of effort put into making them worthwhile works of fiction do not deserve to be defended, at least to me. Again, like them if you want, just don't accuse us of bad standards or incorrect views since we dissented from your "it's done before but that's fine because I like it" viewpoint.

Yeah, this mentality people have about critics who bash a show (or the anime community because it bashes a show) being purposely unfair or having snobbish standards needs to die since, ironically, those are the very people who are closed-minded and polluting this part of the community.
CodeBlazeFateJan 1, 2018 9:13 AM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 21, 2017 4:07 AM

Feb 2013
and the biggest culture shock of all is that you will find people who non ironically like mahouka
Jun 21, 2017 4:09 AM

Apr 2016
romagia said:
and the biggest culture shock of all is that you will find people who non ironically like mahouka
That's up to them. If they like it that's fine. They just need to not do what this thread is calling people out on.

On an unrelated note, I have the Pokémon of your avatar in my Black Nuzlocke right now.
Jun 21, 2017 4:09 AM

Mar 2008
>likes rakudai
>hates mahouka
I see your problem, and it is shit taste in light novel schlock
Jun 21, 2017 4:10 AM

Feb 2013
also i dont think that ln battle school harem anime inhibit the flourishing of "anime that actually have passion and creativity"; they're like 2 completely separate ecosystems
Jun 21, 2017 4:15 AM

Apr 2016
Ckan said:
>likes rakudai
>hates mahouka
I see your problem, and it is shit taste in light novel schlock
I've not actually seen the former but I have been spoiled thrice over on every single episode of the series and it's generally regarded as one that plays around with the formula. The latter is every bad cliché in LN school battle harem anime sans a few, brnwith the biggest Gary Stu of them all and exposition dumps galore (there are on average 2 an episode and they go on edit minutes in end, all of them.

Teh meme no longer be a funny.
Jun 21, 2017 4:16 AM

Apr 2016
romagia said:
also i dont think that ln battle school harem anime inhibit the flourishing of "anime that actually have passion and creativity"; they're like 2 completely separate ecosystems
Hence why there should be less of them pumped out and more anime that have such a creative heart and passion to them. It's not like we can truly influence that, but a man can hope.
Jun 21, 2017 4:16 AM
Apr 2013
romagia said:

I like Mahouka till I even read the Light Novels. Is this a bad thing?
Jun 21, 2017 4:18 AM

Apr 2016
worldeditor11 said:
romagia said:

I like Mahouka till I even read the Light Novels. Is this a bad thing?
No, if you like t that's fine. As long as you don't have the mindset I'm describing, it's perfectly reasonable, even if I don't agree with your opinion on the show.
Jun 21, 2017 4:21 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
In summation, we do not all have some absurd standard for anime, we just want these kinds of titles to die out so that anime that actually have passion and creativity can more easily flourish, and even by the standards of the now incessant LN school battle harem anime, some can go beyond the expectations or fail to even meet such bottom of the barrel standards.

Maybe this is why I dislike it when people have your outlook rather than that I think your standards and priorities are absurd

Oh wait, I already knew that's exactly why I tend to view this negatively to begin with

"We do not approve of it and we don't find it creative or passionate enough so therefore we want it to disappear so we can have more things we like since what we like is good and what you like is bad"

bleh

Jun 21, 2017 4:25 AM

Apr 2016
Manaban said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
In summation, we do not all have some absurd standard for anime, we just want these kinds of titles to die out

Maybe this is why I dislike it when people have your outlook rather than that I think your standards and priorities are absurd

Oh wait, I already knew that's exactly why I tend to view this negatively to begin with

"We do not approve of it and we don't find it creative or passionate enough so therefore we want it to disappear so we can have more things we like since what we like is good and what you like is bad"
While yes, we would like to see more titles with creative heart and passion, we don't simply hate a show automatically because it looks generic. We hate it because it doesn't try. We don't like shows that only exist to pander to the lowest common denominator either any effort put into them besides making them a thing. You're ironically fitting into the mindset I'm describing, thinking that we automatically need a show to be high arc. We wish that more shows stopped pandering to a niche within a niche, but even among those shows, there are ones that put effort into things and ones that don't.
Jun 21, 2017 4:25 AM

Nov 2015
I agree with YOUR OPINION that Akashic Records is not a good show. I don't agree with the rest of what you said. Some people rate shows by how much they enjoyed them. As long as that is allowed ratings are going to vary drastically from person to person. It is foolish to expect someone with a different opinion than you to not call you out on your tastes when you say negative things about something they enjoy. Defending the things you like is human nature. By reviewing things publicly you open yourself up to criticism as well.
Jun 21, 2017 4:28 AM

Apr 2016
SpaceJakey said:
I agree with YOUR OPINION that Akashic Records is not a good show. I don't agree with the rest of what you said. Some people rate shows by how much they enjoyed them. As long as that is allowed ratings are going to vary drastically from person to person. It is foolish to expect someone with a different opinion than you to not call you out on your tastes when you say negative things about something they enjoy. Defending the things you like is human nature. By reviewing things publicly you open yourself up to criticism as well.
I agree her people can enjoy them, I specifically said that they have every right to do that. I just want more of them to keep an open mind and not ironically be closed-minded by saying that "you hate the show probably because "reason x since I didn't read your review" so you suck and your views are incorrect".
Jun 21, 2017 4:30 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
Manaban said:

While yes, we would like to see more titles with creative heart and passion, we don't simply hate a show automatically because it looks generic. We hate it because it doesn't try. We don't like shows that only exist to pander to the lowest common denominator either any effort put into them besides making them a thing. You're ironically fitting into the mindset I'm describing, thinking that we automatically need a show to be high arc. We wish that more shows stopped pandering to a niche within a niche, but even among those shows, there are ones that put effort into things and ones that don't.

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just irritated with your explicitly stated desire to be to cause shows that don't fit to your standard to die out entirely because you and people like you just don't like them. I don't care whether or not you like or dislike them, I don't care about what you do like and don't like, I don't care about any of that and I'm not going to get pissed off because you wrote a negative review on something like this and bombard your profile with hate comments or some dumb shit like that, which I do not and will not approve of even when the person seems to have purposefully instigated it. I don't care if you hate it or why you hate it, even, since it can be pretty safely inferred and I'm not at all interested in wasting my time and energy discussing opinions that have been reiterated ad nauseam unless it's a point I feel needs to be argued to begin with, and this is a case where I don't feel compelled to argue it based on it alone. I feel no need to defend Akashic Records from any kind of criticism one may have of it even though I myself like it, let alone talk shit to them for it, and that goes for most shows like it as well.

No, you're just projecting onto me a desire to hate you because you think I perceive you to have "overly-high standards" when I didn't say jack shit of that sort. I'm annoyed with your express desire to be to cause things that I like to die out entirely because they don't live up to your standards. Watch it, criticize it, hate it - I don't care about any of that. It's immensely arrogant and stupid to say that "What we want to do is rip things you like away from you because we don't like them" while having the audacity to act like people *shouldn't* perceive you as an asshat for saying as much.

It makes everything you say about "its ok if you like it :3" seem like hollow bullshit, to put it bluntly. You don't really think that. You're writing up a post accusing people of hating this mindset for entirely the wrong reason while saying stuff like that and expecting people to actually respect your desire to make things they like disappear entirely. Not that you could, anyway, that's a consumer-based area for the most part and the bombard of criticisms against shows like these have done little to slow them down, but it's so insipid and deceitful that I can't help but get agitated here.
ManabanJun 21, 2017 4:37 AM

Jun 21, 2017 4:31 AM

Mar 2008
Bemoans ignorance, proceeds to make assumptions and blanket statements about shows he hasn't seen (darn damn those vindictive piles of shit, I say!)

Proceeds to pontificate on an ephemeral cohort of unoriginal copypasta anime punctuated with inseminating put-downs.

Oh, what a refreshing desire! The ever-pure longing for the tantalising sublime; empowering innovation and invigorating creativity - for what greater reward could we ask! Oh, how dare the world condemn us for our sincere and worthy motive? Scorn not this man for his benign lust. His barbed presence and stiff lip is but the form of the enthusiast who seeks that ever higher pleasure: he is the greatest fan, the truest one; a seeker of perfection.
Jun 21, 2017 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
I have to give it to Manaban, code, he does have a point.
Jun 21, 2017 4:35 AM

Dec 2015
"Recycled content"
I find it a bit hypocritical that u complain about recycled content when u have a stack of mecha shows just lined up and those are totally super original n shit.

I guess u want original anime. Well lets remove all shows that even remotely similar to one another, and keep only the "super original" ones. How much would u have? Like 10.

Sometimes its nice to see an already used concept with a fresh twist.
Im not saying anything bout Akashic Records btw, coz idgas
Jun 21, 2017 4:36 AM

Aug 2008
Yeah, it's not really that good of anime. Agree with the rest of your criticism.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jun 21, 2017 4:43 AM

Apr 2016
Manaban said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just irritated with your express desire to be to cause shows that don't fit to your standard to die out. I don't care whether or not you like or dislike them, I don't care about what you do like and don't like, I don't care about any of that and I'm not going to get pissed off because you wrote a negative review on something like this and bombard your profile with hate comments or some dumb shit like that, which I do not and will not approve of even when the person seems to have purposefully instigated it. I don't care if you hate it or why you hate it, even, since it can be pretty safely inferred and I'm not at all interested in wasting my time and energy discussing opinions that have been reiterated ad nauseam unless it's a point I feel needs to be argued to begin with, and this is a case where I don't feel compelled to argue it based on it alone. I feel no need to defend Akashic Records from any kind of criticism one may have of it to begin with even though I myself like it, and that goes for most shows like it as well.

No, you're just projecting onto me a desire to hate you because you think I perceive you to have standards when I didn't say jack shit of that sort. I'm annoyed with your express desire to be to cause things that I like to die out entirely because they don't live up to your standards. Watch it, criticize it, hate it - I don't care about any of that. It's immensely arrogant and stupid to say that "What we want to do is rip things you like away from you because we don't like them" while having the audacity to act like people *shouldn't* perceive you as an asshat for saying as much.

It makes everything you say about "its ok if you like it :3" seem like hollow bullshit, to put it bluntly.
You're twisting my words to say "there should no longer be these kinds of shows because we don't think they live up to our standards which butthurt fanboys claim to be unreasonable", when all I am saying is "while we would wish that less shows like this are lumped out, not only do we still see it reasonable for someone to enjoy these shows for whatever reason, but we only hate when people act like pretentious and closed-minded dickwads because we called their show not good". You're making people like us our to be some sort of villain because we see so many of these shows and think "man, wouldn't it be great if there were more shows that tried something different and while these shows started not being shipped out yearly by the dozens?" I'm basically roesring jysekf st than pijrnbur wharnim actually saying is: like them all you want, just don't paint us as some prick just because we think this one show is as bad or worse than a lot of this kind of show we don't care for.
Jun 21, 2017 4:45 AM

Oct 2016
No, you don't want better more passionate anime to be made that's just a load of bs. You just want more anime like your favourites to be made. Don't disguise it as you wanting what's best for the industry.

I agree with all your other points but don't try and make it into something it's not. The anime are shit you don't like them, end of story. Don't talk about wanting more passion and creativity.
Check out my blog - Very new and a work in progress ~
Jun 21, 2017 4:45 AM

Apr 2016
Robiiii said:
"Recycled content"
I find it a bit hypocritical that u complain about recycled content when u have a stack of mecha shows just lined up and those are totally super original n shit.

I guess u want original anime. Well lets remove all shows that even remotely similar to one another, and keep only the "super original" ones. How much would u have? Like 10.

Sometimes its nice to see an already used concept with a fresh twist.
Im not saying anything bout Akashic Records btw, coz idgas
Did you not read the part when I said her even among these shows there is a hierarchy between the ones that are better and worse? Just like Gundam and mecha. I have torn into mecha anime that are nothing more than ripoffs of other work (like SEED Destiny), so they have no excuse either.

We would like more anime that didn't pander to a niche, but I never said that these shows automatically need to die out and never come back.
Jun 21, 2017 4:47 AM

Jun 2014
Boohoo, OP.

You sound like a little kid and your attitude deserves absolutely ZERO respect so expect none from me. You're whining and lashing out on others and honestly its a really bad look.

Once again. Boohoo.
KagamiJun 21, 2017 4:51 AM
Jun 21, 2017 4:47 AM

Apr 2016
RainShift said:
No, you don't want better more passionate anime to be made that's just a load of bs. You just want more anime like your favourites to be made. Don't disguise it as you wanting what's best for the industry.

I agree with all your other points but don't try and make it into something it's not. The anime are shit you don't like them, end of story. Don't talk about wanting more passion and creativity.
So, I want more Code Geass? (Remembers Akito and immediately throws up).

I actually do want more shows that tried something other than pandering to the lowest common denominator, and if some of those shows end up sucking or otherwise being not to my enjoyment, I will address them as such too.
Jun 21, 2017 4:52 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
You're twisting my words to say "there should no longer be these kinds of shows because we don't think they live up to our standards which butthurt fanboys claim to be unreasonable", when all I am saying is "while we would wish that less shows like this are lumped out, not only do we still see it reasonable for someone to enjoy these shows for whatever reason, but we only hate when people act like pretentious and closed-minded dickwads because we called their show not good".

CodeBlazeFate said:

In summation, we do not all have some absurd standard for anime, we just want these kinds of titles to die out so that anime that actually have passion and creativity can more easily flourish, and even by the standards of the now incessant LN school battle harem anime, some can go beyond the expectations or fail to even meet such bottom of the barrel standards.

Where exactly did I twist any of that?

And why do you keep trying to make this into a matter of tastes and standards when I have outright told you that it has nothing to do with my issue I have with you here, and that my issue was stuff like that statement which I isolated from your "PSA" rant?

CodeBlazeFate said:
You're making people like us our to be some sort of villain because we see so many of these shows and think "man, wouldn't it be great if there were more shows that tried something different and while these shows started not being shipped out yearly by the dozens?" I'm basically roesring jysekf st than pijrnbur wharnim actually saying is: like them all you want, just don't paint us as some prick just because we think this one show is as bad or worse than a lot of this kind of show we don't care for.

No, I'm making you specifically out to be the villain because you outright pushed to take things away from people who like them because you don't think they're creative enough and wanted to act like people should have to respect your desire to do so. Please stop projecting onto me and actually listen to what I have to say.

Did you literally not read my response to you where I spent an entire paragraph talking about how I don't think it's right for people to talk shit to people like you and that I don't care about what you like or dislike or want to see? That I'm fine with you pushing for more things you like to see being implicitly stated? That I just take major issue with your bullshit act of "we think its ok but we just don't like them :3" whenever you fucked up and showed your hand a bit too much by saying "What we just want to do is kill off everything like this so more stuff we want can come into the fray" making any sort of respect you act like you have for people such as me seem like a complete act? It's extremely difficult to believe that you view anybody other than yourself and people like you as reasonable whenever you wrote a long, projecting-en-masse self-victimizing rant that accused everybody of thinking you're a prick, especially when you say shit that would make people think you're a prick like I isolated in my first response.
ManabanJun 21, 2017 4:58 AM

Jun 21, 2017 4:53 AM

Nov 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
SpaceJakey said:
I agree her people can enjoy them, I specifically said that they have every right to do that. I just want more of them to keep an open mind and not ironically be closed-minded by saying that "you hate the show probably because "reason x since I didn't read your review" so you suck and your views are incorrect".
Yeah...what I'm saying is that it's absurd to say someone has bad taste in anime and then be surprised when they say you have bad taste in anime. You understand that is essentially what you are doing when you say, "this show is bad" to someone who thinks the show is actually good. So by doing a public review, you are opening yourself to criticism of your taste in anime. If you can't handle this then I suggest not reviewing things publicly.
Jun 21, 2017 4:54 AM

Apr 2016
Ckan said:
Bemoans ignorance, proceeds to make assumptions and blanket statements about shows he hasn't seen (darn damn those vindictive piles of shit, I say!)

Proceeds to pontificate on an ephemeral cohort of unoriginal copypasta anime punctuated with inseminating put-downs.

Oh, what a refreshing desire! The ever-pure longing for the tantalising sublime; empowering innovation and invigorating creativity - for what greater reward could we ask! Oh, how dare the world condemn us for our sincere and worthy motive? Scorn not this man for his benign lust. His barbed presence and stiff lip is but the form of the enthusiast who seeks that ever higher pleasure: he is the greatest fan, the truest one; a seeker of perfection.
Proceeds to misinterpret my point because I said I don't like when people lash or at other for having a different opinion (when I have seen many examples of this happen).

Proceeds to think that all we want is high art when j specifically we just want more shows to try harder, regardless of the outcome (since we will still hit those shows too if we don't like them or if they still crash and burn). Proceeds to portray me as a snob by only using the Shakespeare dialogue as if I was a tragedy protagonist on the verge of falling from grace.
Jun 21, 2017 4:55 AM
Jul 2018
CodeBlazeFate said:
We would like more anime that didn't pander to a niche, but I never said that these shows automatically need to die out and never come back.
what is wrong with pandering to the niche? Even shows that are "elitist" often pander to its own niche as well, there is a reason why shows like tatami galaxy are unpopular they are very clearly aimed at a niche audience and most people won't enjoy it let alone ever give it a try. I would much MUCH rather anime that pander to smaller audience, because they are made for someone. Shows made for everyone are often in the end made for no one in specific, they are often made safe with no risk taken and so on, rhey are often boring for the most people unless someone can catch somethig that they would enjoy but even then what gives this will be enough?
Jun 21, 2017 4:57 AM

Apr 2016
Manaban said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
You're twisting my words to say "there should no longer be these kinds of shows because we don't think they live up to our standards which butthurt fanboys claim to be unreasonable", when all I am saying is "while we would wish that less shows like this are lumped out, not only do we still see it reasonable for someone to enjoy these shows for whatever reason, but we only hate when people act like pretentious and closed-minded dickwads because we called their show not good".

Where exactly did I twist any of that?

And why do you keep trying to make this into a matter of tastes and standards when I have outright told you that it has nothing to do with my issue I have with you here, and that my issue was stuff like that statement which I isolated from your "PSA" rant?

CodeBlazeFate said:
You're making people like us our to be some sort of villain because we see so many of these shows and think "man, wouldn't it be great if there were more shows that tried something different and while these shows started not being shipped out yearly by the dozens?" I'm basically roesring jysekf st than pijrnbur wharnim actually saying is: like them all you want, just don't paint us as some prick just because we think this one show is as bad or worse than a lot of this kind of show we don't care for.

No, I'm making you specifically out to be the villain because you outright pushed to take things away from people who like them because you don't think they're creative enough.

Did you literally not read my response to you where I spent an entire paragraph talking about how I don't think it's right for people to talk shit to people like you and that I don't care about what you like or dislike or want to see? That I'm fine with you pushing for more things you like to see being implicitly stated? That I just take major issue with your bullshit act of "we think its ok but we just don't like them :3" whenever you fucked up and showed your hand a bit too much by saying "What we just want to do is kill off everything like this so more stuff we want can come into the fray" making any sort of respect you act like you have for people such as me seem like a complete act? It's extremely difficult to believe that you view anybody other than yourself and people like you as reasonable whenever you wrote a long, projecting-en-masse self-victimizing rant that accused everybody of thinking you're a prick, especially when you say shit that would make people think you're a prick like I isolated in my first response.
Yeah, I probably went a bit far in that regard but ultimately what I mean is that we need less of *insert LN school battle harem here* and more of *literally anything else as long as it at least tries to be at least a little bit different*. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if I hate *insert LN anime here* and if you like them. There is a gigantic amount to choose from and there are some that are better and worse, I just especially want the worst ones to start falling victim to natural selection (if that actually exists in this context). I guess I should have proofread that part.
Jun 21, 2017 4:59 AM

Apr 2016
Darek said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
what is wrong with pandering to the niche? Even shows that are "elitist" often pander to its own niche as well, there is a reason why shows like tatami galaxy are unpopular they are very clearly aimed at a niche audience and most people won't enjoy it let alone ever give it a try. I would much MUCH rather anime that pander to smaller audience, because they are made for someone. Shows made for everyone are often in the end made for no one in specific, they are often made safe with no risk taken and so on, rhey are often boring for the most people unless someone can catch somethig that they would enjoy but even then what gives this will be enough?
There can still be shows that pander to them, but there doesn't really need to be an insane amount of them. Hell, shows that do pander to that niche can still be good or at least if differing quality from each other. Doesn't mean that we need shows that are for everyone (I doubt that can truly exist, though some shows have tried).
Jun 21, 2017 5:00 AM

Jun 2014
CodeBlazeFate said:
Ckan said:

Proceeds to misinterpret my point because I said I don't like when people lash or at other for having a different opinion (when I have seen many examples of this happen).

Proceeds to think that all we want is high art when j specifically we just want more shows to try harder, regardless of the outcome (since we will still hit those shows too if we don't like them or if they still crash and burn). Proceeds to portray me as a snob by only using the Shakespeare dialogue as if I was a tragedy protagonist on the verge of falling from grace.

You have really poor social skills. I don't mean that as a jab, but damn you lash out and sound like such a drag and you don't even realize it. Listen, your opinion on anime holds no value. You haven't seen much and are hardly a veteran. Your way of talking to people holds a lot to be desired and your attitude is lousy. Go make your club to trash bad anime and come back when you take a few chill pills. Usually when multiple KNOWN posters gang up on one person, there is a logical reason.
Jun 21, 2017 5:02 AM

Apr 2016
SpaceJakey said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
Yeah...what I'm saying is that it's absurd to say someone has bad taste in anime and then be surprised when they say you have bad taste in anime. You understand that is essentially what you are doing when you say, "this show is bad" to someone who thinks the show is actually good. So by doing a public review, you are opening yourself to criticism of your taste in anime. If you can't handle this then I suggest not reviewing things publicly.
Honestly, I'm to criticizing someone's taste, simply the anime they like. It's annoying to see a flock of people automatically say "wtf is wrong with people who don't like this show I like", partially since it'll only really invite backlash like what I'm giving out. Other than that, glad we can agree on some level.
Jun 21, 2017 5:04 AM

Sep 2014
"Shows shouldn't exist if they are nothing but recycled content", ok I don't necessarily agree with that, as not every show has to aim to be a piece of art, but I can understand the notion. How does Rakudai even come to the equation here? This is a prime example of a show that is NOTHING but old tropes, boring characters that you have seen tens of times before, an overused setting and, in general, is everything you describe as something that needs to die out. It's not a bad show IMO, but it's everything but original. It's just a well polished product.

Even Akashic records that seem to be the reason you started the thread is way more original than Rakudai.

And fuck, really, great way to start a discussion. 'Fucking assholes', 'ignorant pieces of shit' huh, you sure know how to talk man.
Jun 21, 2017 5:07 AM

Apr 2016
Kagami said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

You have really poor social skills. I don't mean that as a jab, but damn you lash out and sound like such a drag and you don't even realize it. Listen, your opinion on anime holds no value. You haven't seen much and are hardly a veteran. Your way of talking to people holds a lot to be desired and your attitude is lousy. Go make your club to trash bad anime and come back when you take a few chill pills. Usually when multiple KNOWN posters gang up on one person, there is a logical reason.
Assuming that I automatically have poor social skills solely because A.I called our people with a divisive viewpoint on people who just have a different or negative opinion on a certain show and B.Because I come off as angry because of that is sort of jumping the gun, regardless of how true it is. I admit that at best, all I'm doing is just saying "how about we not attack people who hate a certain show and make assumptions about their standards" and at worst I'm inviting...well, all of this. I'm not gonna change anything other than at most a few people's perspective on people who dislike what they like and I'm certainly not gonna do anything big with this. I do realize that I am basically just blowing my top off at this topic (I knew that going in and realized that all of this was boudn to happen).
Jun 21, 2017 5:10 AM

Apr 2016
Imaishi said:
"Shows shouldn't exist if they are nothing but recycled content", ok I don't necessarily agree with that, as not every show has to aim to be a piece of art, but I can understand the notion. How does Rakudai even come to the equation here? This is a prime example of a show that is NOTHING but old tropes, boring characters that you have seen tens of times before, an overused setting and, in general, is everything you describe as something that needs to die out. It's not a bad show IMO, but it's everything but original. It's just a well polished product.

Even Akashic records that seem to be the reason you started the thread is way more original than Rakudai.

And fuck, really, great way to start a discussion. 'Fucking assholes', 'ignorant pieces of shit' huh, you sure know how to talk man.
Honestly, made that preamble long before I saw the show and honestly, I stand by what I said about people who are just gonna be all like "these assholes who dislike this show, what is wrong with those closed-minded individuals" while simultaneously and ironically being just as if not more closed-minded since chances are, they only saw the score and a puny fraction of the review. Did I go a bit overboard, sure.

Also, Rakudai at least plays around with these tropes and even singers some of them (like destroying the possibility of a harem in episode 4, making it so that while a Loki character tries to be a life interest, not only does the main female lead approve of her arrival solely because she is a sister, but is baffled when that doesn't matter to her in the slightest as she proceeds to be infinitely more forward about loving the main character than a majority of harem participants in most harems).
Jun 21, 2017 5:11 AM

Jun 2014
CodeBlazeFate said:
Kagami said:

Assuming that I automatically have poor social skills solely because A.I called our people with a divisive viewpoint on people who just have a different or negative opinion on a certain show and B.Because I come off as angry because of that is sort of jumping the gun, regardless of how true it is. I admit that at best, all I'm doing is just saying "how about we not attack people who hate a certain show and make assumptions about their standards" and at worst I'm inviting...well, all of this. I'm not gonna change anything other than at most a few people's perspective on people who dislike what they like and I'm certainly not gonna do anything big with this. I do realize that I am basically just blowing my top off at this topic (I knew that going in and realized that all of this was boudn to happen).

You tackled this thread completely wrong and this isn't a smart nor social way to talk with others. I wouldn't say I'm assuming you have poor social skills because your social skills have been on full display here. There were much more logical ways free to create this topic and you have obviously realized that.

If you tackled this thread in a different light, results might of varied.

Also, I'm sorry you have zero chance to change my perspective. I adore what anime pumps out and I don't think you've seen enough to hold much weight to change my opinion.
Jun 21, 2017 5:14 AM

Oct 2015
(THIS MAY BE A LONG WINDED COMMENT, I'M KIND OF TIRED BUT)

I read this & while I can agree with you that titles fitting into these specific categories can break the mold, kind of like what you had brought up with Rakudai for instance- I kind of.. disagree with the rest of the mindset.

I get where you're coming from, you want shows to try harder. YOU do, I don't know how many others do exactly, since it's a bit different for everyone. You probably want them to try harder at something that someone already thinks they're doing quite well, but then they may want it to try harder in another area.

Let's say for instance, you might want a show that excels in having a somewhat refreshing story-line, but then another person might want it to do a lot with it's characters because they feel as though the characters are the best part of the show & that for a let's say.. 12 episode series of it's nature, it could attempt to do a bit more.

But while you may want that, if you don't get it, then just move onto the next anime. I'm not going to say that the anime is the problem, but it's sort of like.. you're the problem. You are the viewer & when you watch things, if you feel a show isn't doing something, but someone else does, then it's a matter of opinion at the end of the day, that's all it boils down to.

I do think it's a bit extreme of you to say that shows of these kind should die out, because honestly, I feel as though I can have a bit of fun with them depending on the perspective I watch them from. I may have the same problem as you in a sense, I do want a show to try harder, but for an entirely different reason.

I don't know if this will matter much in regards to the topic here, but you aren't fond of anime catering to one specific group of people or even just those who are fond of series done in that style, where as for me, I'm not fond of anime having a bunch of "ideas" present within them, then not expanding upon them when they could have. Needless to say, a lot of those ideas might not necessarily make the show better, it just would have been nice if they attempted to go somewhere with it where they aren't specifically following the source material, but most series that do stray away from the source material in question, often enough, whatever staff members are working on it tend to create something entirely different that wasn't presented in the show up until that point they decided to introduce it.

See what I'm getting at kind of? (It's like 5am, I'm pretty tired & may have went somewhere else with it entirely)

But what I'm getting at is that everybody wants something different. You've made it clear what you don't want, but maybe someone else does want that. I know for sure that I like simple anime that are just easy to sit down & watch, but then again.. I'm not critical of an anime until I complete it. From the moment I start it until I finish it, I am not a Negative Nancy, it's only afterwards when I collect my thoughts on the series that I am one, but I still don't wish for the end of a certain kind of series, it's just I'd rather have less of it in a season, since I'd rather have a lot of diversity in a season instead of 3-8 anime with the same genres, although some of them might actually be different, which brings up a good point of them expanding upon the ideas that they themselves, tend to introduce. Rakudai, although I haven't finished it, is one that kind of expanded upon the ideas it was introducing, but to me, it's feeling a bit rushed, which is something I'm used to.

But you know, with what your original post at hand is on about, something that I feel may be apart of your problem, because I keep thinking about what you had stated here. I think your problem may be that you limit yourself. A lot of anime come out per season, like 30 or 40. I feel that one way to solve your problem is to watch more anime within a season. Spend one whole season, instead of watching highly rated shows that aired years ago, try sitting down & watching only seasonal anime, stick to them & watch series that are apart of the specific genre that may not be to your preference. It's surprising how you may feel afterwards. I did it once before when I felt burned out on anime and surprisingly enough, I came to notice more within the anime that I told myself I didn't like as opposed to the ones I do like. It's all about perspectives & preferences.

Jun 21, 2017 5:20 AM

May 2015
I heard that Code Geass is a recycled gundam wings.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2017 5:26 AM

Apr 2016
Fally-Senpai said:
(THIS MAY BE A LONG WINDED COMMENT, I'M KIND OF TIRED BUT)

I read this & while I can agree with you that titles fitting into these specific categories can break the mold, kind of like what you had brought up with Rakudai for instance- I kind of.. disagree with the rest of the mindset.

I get where you're coming from, you want shows to try harder. YOU do, I don't know how many others do exactly, since it's a bit different for everyone. You probably want them to try harder at something that someone already thinks they're doing quite well, but then they may want it to try harder in another area.

Let's say for instance, you might want a show that excels in having a somewhat refreshing story-line, but then another person might want it to do a lot with it's characters because they feel as though the characters are the best part of the show & that for a let's say.. 12 episode series of it's nature, it could attempt to do a bit more.

But while you may want that, if you don't get it, then just move onto the next anime. I'm not going to say that the anime is the problem, but it's sort of like.. you're the problem. You are the viewer & when you watch things, if you feel a show isn't doing something, but someone else does, then it's a matter of opinion at the end of the day, that's all it boils down to.

I do think it's a bit extreme of you to say that shows of these kind should die out, because honestly, I feel as though I can have a bit of fun with them depending on the perspective I watch them from. I may have the same problem as you in a sense, I do want a show to try harder, but for an entirely different reason.

I don't know if this will matter much in regards to the topic here, but you aren't fond of anime catering to one specific group of people or even just those who are fond of series done in that style, where as for me, I'm not fond of anime having a bunch of "ideas" present within them, then not expanding upon them when they could have. Needless to say, a lot of those ideas might not necessarily make the show better, it just would have been nice if they attempted to go somewhere with it where they aren't specifically following the source material, but most series that do stray away from the source material in question, often enough, whatever staff members are working on it tend to create something entirely different that wasn't presented in the show up until that point they decided to introduce it.

See what I'm getting at kind of? (It's like 5am, I'm pretty tired & may have went somewhere else with it entirely)

But what I'm getting at is that everybody wants something different. You've made it clear what you don't want, but maybe someone else does want that. I know for sure that I like simple anime that are just easy to sit down & watch, but then again.. I'm not critical of an anime until I complete it. From the moment I start it until I finish it, I am not a Negative Nancy, it's only afterwards when I collect my thoughts on the series that I am one, but I still don't wish for the end of a certain kind of series, it's just I'd rather have less of it in a season, since I'd rather have a lot of diversity in a season instead of 3-8 anime with the same genres, although some of them might actually be different, which brings up a good point of them expanding upon the ideas that they themselves, tend to introduce. Rakudai, although I haven't finished it, is one that kind of expanded upon the ideas it was introducing, but to me, it's feeling a bit rushed, which is something I'm used to.

But you know, with what your original post at hand is on about, something that I feel may be apart of your problem, because I keep thinking about what you had stated here. I think your problem may be that you limit yourself. A lot of anime come out per season, like 30 or 40. I feel that one way to solve your problem is to watch more anime within a season. Spend one whole season, instead of watching highly rated shows that aired years ago, try sitting down & watching only seasonal anime, stick to them & watch series that are apart of the specific genre that may not be to your preference. It's surprising how you may feel afterwards. I did it once before when I felt burned out on anime and surprisingly enough, I came to notice more within the anime that I told myself I didn't like as opposed to the ones I do like. It's all about perspectives & preferences.

Thanks for reading the whole thing and tackling this more respectfully than I did.

Yeah, there are a plethora of ways a show can try harder, in terms of a richer and more interesting storyline and/or in terms of more interesting, less stock characters. Honestly, any of these is fine, even if the shows they do try their hand at this still crash (though I'll express my disdain at those show I think fail anyway but acknowledge their efforts at least). Yeah, I did sort of exaggerate in saying "these shows should die off" when in reality I mean that they should not be a swkesssperas. Definitely should've proofread that part.

Honestly, I cut both ways when watching a show. If it starts off bad, it's at a disadvantage and would need to really step up its game for me to like it, but ifna show starts off great, it'll have an advantage over she is that start off worse, regardless if otherwise it ends up being about as flawed in the long run. I gather my thoughts as I move along and think about what I'll say as I collect those thoughts. Hard probably why a lot of my reviews are so long :P

Honestly, I'm only looking at shows get interest me in some way that are available to be via the sites I use. I guess that's my issue: I only take a look at what's available and decide which d those automatically interests me in some way. Either way, thanks for making this post.
Jun 21, 2017 5:27 AM

Apr 2016
zal said:
I heard that Code Geass is a recycled gundam wings.
I heard that it's recycled Death Note and Gundam SEEDS. (They're not exactly right tho).
Jun 21, 2017 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
CodeBlazeFate said:
There can still be shows that pander to them, but there doesn't really need to be an insane amount of them. Hell, shows that do pander to that niche can still be good or at least if differing quality from each other. Doesn't mean that we need shows that are for everyone (I doubt that can truly exist, though some shows have tried).
insane amount? Those shows are not nearly even near as common as people make them out to be, just looking at the charts can be enough to see it.

I just checked the next season and I have found only one, ONE harem that was announced so far and the season starts soon and that is not even a magical highchool battle harem, it is a isekai harem. Sure they can simply not be done with adding genres but even then, there is nowhere near as many.

Those shows are far from popular, even tho they appear in nearly every season they do not appear in any significant amount. They could be easily avoided if someone even looked at the tags and the synopsis if someone wants to avoid them and as always, there are older shows to consider and watch too.
Jun 21, 2017 5:35 AM

Aug 2014
Whats the point of this thread again..?

Spreading hate...?
Jun 21, 2017 5:36 AM

Apr 2016
Darek said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
insane amount? Those shows are not nearly even near as common as people make them out to be, just looking at the charts can be enough to see it.

I just checked the next season and I have found only one, ONE harem that was announced so far and the season starts soon and that is not even a magical highchool battle harem, it is a isekai harem. Sure they can simply not be done with adding genres but even then, there is nowhere near as many.

Those shows are far from popular, even tho they appear in nearly every season they do not appear in any significant amount. They could be easily avoided if someone even looked at the tags and the synopsis if someone wants to avoid them and as always, there are older shows to consider and watch too.
Over the years they've probably had more of these than moeblobs. I admit these two years haven't had as many as say, 2015 did, though they all add up and when they're pretty similar to each other, I can only think "even some of these shows can try other things, right?". Hell, Akashic Records actually did at some points. It still sucked and had all these cliché tropes I hate, but it still tried different things. There are many therncould be avoided, be consider this: some of these made us think that they would be interesting and to our liking, even this show did make me think "this could be cool" at some point.
Jun 21, 2017 5:41 AM

Apr 2015
Did someone just rant upon your review on Akashic records? Ask @zergneedsfood on how to handle it, he used to receive a lot of hate from his Shelter negative reviews.
Jun 21, 2017 5:43 AM

Apr 2016
You said:
Did someone just rant upon your review on Akashic records? Ask @zergneedsfood on how to handle it, he used to receive a lot of hate from his Shelter negative reviews.
I've seen people make review that slam the community or people who don't like s certain show in general, and there have been a few reviews of this show that have targeted people (nor really me, but LIQ and Stark to be specific). I've just hit a breaking point with seeing such vindictive, closed-minded, and frankly hypocritical ignorance in those kinds of defies and posts.
Jun 21, 2017 6:13 AM

Apr 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
You said:
I've seen people make review that slam the community or people who don't like s certain show in general, and there have been a few reviews of this show that have targeted people (nor really me, but LIQ and Stark to be specific). I've just hit a breaking point with seeing such vindictive, closed-minded, and frankly hypocritical ignorance in those kinds of defies and posts.
How about reporting it to the review mod? An ad hominem review isn't allowed here I think.
Jun 21, 2017 6:15 AM

Aug 2016
While I don't agree with the idea that those types of shows don't have the right to exist, because not only would it limit the amount of shows we get each season, but it would also limit creativity and leave less ideas for what you described later on, the people here also seem to read into single words instead of the entire thing.
I'm pretty sure that even today I saw someone type a review out where he was like "Oh, every person who hates it because of the school uniforms and because it's generic, look at it from a different angle and see how fun it is". This is the problem. As for the wording...
This part of your review should honestly be left in the forums, maybe not even here, maybe in a blog, it's just a rant. I think that what you're doing with it is similar to that guy, or at least it can be taken this way.
Everyone seems to have taken something completely different than intended out of it. This is a message to REVIEWERS, not to people with different opinions. If you are going to write a review and expect people to like it, perhaps even get to the main page of the show, then you should put effort into writing about the content of the anime, not about the people, but at the same time, try to understand why do others people like/hate it, so you won't go on about how could this get a certain score.
At the same time, I sort of see this as a breaking point, where people just do this on a lot of occasions in their reviews "come one guys, this is good, your viewpoint is just wrong" and he felt like this is enough. The wording of his message took it into a completely different direction.
Code, you should fix it.
Werty800Jun 21, 2017 6:54 AM
Jun 21, 2017 6:19 AM

Apr 2016
You said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
How about reporting it to the review mod? An ad hominem review isn't allowed here I think.
Huh....I never thought of that. Thank you.
Jun 21, 2017 6:21 AM
Jul 2018
@CodeBlazeFate so the trend is dying out.... What is the problem then? Even if by a collective those shows may be many that is only a given seeing they are an old trend, again, those shows could be easily avoided.

Also off topic did you mean the review by Stark700 in that other post? Because btw just for the sake of rambling, that review was bad, even by MAL standards and I say as someone who firmly believes my only review was pretty shite now that I am looking back on it, however this, which is his 200+ review I can shamefully and arrogantly say was worse than my first one...
Jun 21, 2017 6:25 AM
Jul 2015
Stop producing what I'm personally tired of reviewing!

Stop consuming and enjoying what I don't like!

The only close-minded person in here is you, CodeBlazeFate, grow up. The world doesn't revolve around you and what you judge to be acceptable content. You don't like that type of stuff? Fine. Don't consume it and move on with your life, nobody is forcing you to do anything. So please don't force your views and opinions on other people. You're being as immature as the people you criticize in your rant.
BuoJun 21, 2017 6:31 AM
hi
Jun 21, 2017 6:29 AM

May 2014
@CodeBlazeFate You're in quite the bind here, I see.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 minutes ago

3 by Rinrinka »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

70 by omorashi »»
17 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

210 by perseii »»
22 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

34 by joseifan »»
23 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

125 by logopolis »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.