Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2017 3:23 AM

Oct 2013
I know the general consensus around here is that of not enjoying the anime so much, but I actually really enjoyed this season!

Yeah, the animation isn't standard anime style or the most expensive looking thing out there, but the story (as is par for Berserk) is great, the pacing is better than in the 2016 anime, and I still found the fights badass!

I honestly don't think the animation is that big of a problem. So it isn't grade A, I can look past that easily for an awesome story and action! Also, I don't think it is NEARLY as bad as people are trying to make it out to be. I mean, come on, it's not like South Park season 1's animation (paper cut outs). :P

So, who else is hoping for a 2018 season? :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 21, 2017 5:48 AM
Jun 2014
The first season was was hard work, but season 2 was actually pretty kickass. So long as they keep up the pace I will hope for a 3rd season.
Jun 21, 2017 5:59 AM

Apr 2015
More CGI Berserk means more but-hurt whining and tears from fans of the series. My life essence is the tears of Berserk fans. /s

I have plans to start tackling the franchise soon, and considering that it's well known that the manga goes through massive hiatuses and likely won't be completed, I'd be much more satisified watching a bunch of 1-cour seasons rather then being forced to dedicate myself to a manga that may never be finished.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jun 21, 2017 10:51 AM

Jan 2008
I'm also hoping for a third season. CG!Berserk is my favorite anime comedy of the 10s, I just need my weekly dose of laughing.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Jun 21, 2017 11:07 AM
Dec 2016
Not me. I was giving "Berserk 2K17" some credit, but after last 3 episodes I lost my faith in anime and company.
Jun 22, 2017 4:09 AM

Oct 2013
Glad to see I'm not the ONLY one who wants another! :P Hopefully, the release is popular enough in Japan to warrant it! :3

InsaneLeader13 said:
considering that it's well known that the manga goes through massive hiatuses and likely won't be completed

Awww, don't say that. :( Berserk is my favorite manga, so that hurts. It sucks that it is actually a possibility that this could happen (same for Hunter X Hunter and Bastard!!). I really hope they all get finished. :3
Jun 23, 2017 8:59 AM

Jun 2009
the manga is going strong so I'm sure they will keep animating the millenium falcon empire arc but 2018 seems so distant I'm hoping it'd be released this winter
Jun 23, 2017 9:09 AM
Mar 2008
Season 3? With the shit Millepensee and Gemba is doing with Berserk? Fuck Season 3 then. They dont have the experience and certainly not even the slight interest to make this work in any way possible.
Jun 23, 2017 9:16 AM

Apr 2017
Would much rather wish for a proper and good (!) adaptation done from scratch. The 2016 and 2017 are just horrendous nightmare-quality anime that I can't stand.
Jun 23, 2017 11:44 AM

Sep 2014
You know what, the anime may not be up to par, but im glad they did make one in the first place.

I'm was formally someone who does not read manga's, and would not have discovered this if it was not made into an anime. I can say this, Berserk 2016, 2017 is my introduction into the world of mangas.

The reasoning was that the anime did not do a good job of explain what's going on, but I felt the story and setting can be much more promising if I just had more information, thus, I went to check out the manga.
*Too complicated to cared*
Jun 23, 2017 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
This may seem contradicting but I don't really want more of it to be pumped up.

At the same time if it does pump more from it, I will most likely won't watch it (I contradicted this before because I watched S2 but this was more of a sort of entertainment amusement for a friend of mine + I agreed with the other friend of mine to binge to see if it was actually as better as people are saying) at least for those that enjoy it, good for them I guess.

I wouldn't necessarily care if anyone likes it (unless I say something like "Oh if you like it then you're shit.") But I guess that's just how I see it.
Jun 23, 2017 11:54 AM
Jan 2013
I take great pleasure on seeing the absolute shitshow animation gifs so a 3rd season is coo
gone bai bai
Jun 23, 2017 12:19 PM
Apr 2017
I really hope not... Both seasons are awful and i don't want more shit 3d Berserk. I don't know why you people like this shit even if is Berserk.
Serious they can't even ended the arc because they've skipped Wildhelm section and Charlore rescue.
Fuck Berserk 2017..
Jun 23, 2017 1:02 PM

Oct 2014
i would love to have more of it,seeing the crying of butthurt berserk fans is entertaining enough it also helps that i have absolutely no plan of watching this or any other season of the show
Jun 23, 2017 1:06 PM

Jun 2014
I'd rather not have more of this garbage quality adaptation, but if it did get another season (keeping my fingers, toes, and all other crossable body parts crossed that this doesn't happen) I'd still watch to get in a good, hysterical laugh or two. And also, I'd watch for the iconic CLANGS from the CLANGmaster himself (Guts).

Badu said:
the manga is going strong so I'm sure they will keep animating the millenium falcon empire arc but 2018 seems so distant I'm hoping it'd be released this winter

The manga just went back on hiatus btw. Also, when you say you hope it would be released "this winter" so we don't have to wait until 2018, the winter anime season is from January to March, so that would be 2018 anyway lol. I think you might be referring to Fall season, which is from October to December.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 23, 2017 1:40 PM

May 2012
literally no one in the entire world wants this
Jun 23, 2017 7:28 PM

Apr 2010
Yeah why not? Tears of the haters is amusing.
Jun 23, 2017 8:04 PM
May 2012
12 Episodes of shit animation on the boat?
Sign me in
Jun 23, 2017 9:27 PM

May 2011
I would like a third season.
Jun 24, 2017 3:48 AM

May 2009
Man, I thought nobody would ever want to see this shitty anime ever again, and not only there are people who want another season, they want it to spite us real fans of Berserk! If you genuinely think that both season of Berserk were any good and you want a new one, you have no taste and you don't deserve to call yourselves fans of Berserk.
Jun 24, 2017 3:49 AM

Sep 2016
i already skipped season 2 like crazy for the latest 4 episode or something, i dont thinki can go on. the only good thing about berserk manga is its drawing, and there is none here. + the author is sick or just lazy bastard who doesnt care about fans just like hxh. it belongs in garbage bin.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jun 24, 2017 5:27 AM

Oct 2013
Damn, lol, now I understand that guy who said he survives on the tears of Berserk fans much better. xD The salt is real! :P

I've never understood why people hate sequels or new media for franchises they enjoy, even if they dislike the new product itself. :O Sure, in some cases, the bad sequel may reduce the odds of further media being released for the franchise.

However, in many cases (such as for a manga which has not seen a non-movie adaptation for a generation), the ability of a sequel/remake to renew interest in the series and create new fans has the potential to lead to a better adaptation down the line, or at least provide further incentive for the creator to continue with the original work. So, even if you don't like the current offering, its release still has the potential to increase the chances of something you DO like being released in the future.

Its why I always shake my head at people who get pissed off that their favorite series got a successful sequel released just because they didn't like it. I mean, if you don't like the new story, don't watch it? It doesn't invalidate the original release at all or your connection to the previous story. :O

GangsterCat said:
i already skipped season 2 like crazy for the latest 4 episode or something, i dont thinki can go on. the only good thing about berserk manga is its drawing, and there is none here. + the author is sick or just lazy bastard who doesnt care about fans just like hxh. it belongs in garbage bin.

In response to the above quote: While I am still glad Berserk and HxH were released, I won't deny it has been frustrating as FUCK how staggered their updates have been in recent years. I mean, at a certain point, can't you just tell somebody else your plans for the story and let them do the art for it? D;
otakucatJun 24, 2017 5:32 AM
Jun 24, 2017 6:31 AM

May 2009
It's not "salt", or "butthurt", or any other retarded terms you made up, or even the fact that they are sequels. The latest seasons of Berserk are objectively bad and you are part of the problem for supporting them even tangentially.
Jun 24, 2017 6:53 AM

Apr 2017
otakucat said:

Its why I always shake my head at people who get pissed off that their favorite series got a successful sequel released just because they didn't like it. I mean, if you don't like the new story, don't watch it? It doesn't invalidate the original release at all or your connection to the previous story. :O

How can you not understand that people want good adaptations of their favorite manga and not shitty ones? If they get a shitty adaptation, people will get dissapointed if not pissed. How would you feel if you were waiting to get a Lamborghini but instead just got a rusty old bicycle with no wheels? Or if you were waiting for the pizza you ordered at a restaurant but instead the waiter shows up with dogfood that has maggots in it?
Jun 24, 2017 7:12 AM

Oct 2013
Arashi89 said:
It's not "salt", or "butthurt", or any other retarded terms you made up, or even the fact that they are sequels. The latest seasons of Berserk are objectively bad and you are part of the problem for supporting them even tangentially.

Nice job on refuting the major point of the above post. Ya know, the one about how the "problem" fans are the ones increasing the chances that better (less "objectively bad") adaptations might be made in the future - as they prove the franchise is still marketable. ;O Oh, wait... ;)

zodd0 said:
otakucat said:

How can you not understand that people want good adaptations of their favorite manga and not shitty ones? If they get a shitty adaptation, people will get dissapointed if not pissed. How would you feel if you were waiting to get a Lamborghini but instead just got a rusty old bicycle with no wheels? Or if you were waiting for the pizza you ordered at a restaurant but instead the waiter shows up with dogfood that has maggots in it?

As I previously said, getting ANY adaptation is better than none. Especially if it is popular enough to justify companies to SPEND MORE ON A BETTER ADAPTATION as the existing one proved there is a lucrative audience for such. Think of it as a company/author testing the waters or estimating market demand. If they know they can make money with a lesser product, they know demand for a better one will likely exist.

Well, in the world of your analogy, wouldn't you feel better getting SOME food rather than never seeing another day after you have starved to death from a complete lack of ANY sustenance? Wouldn't you feel better getting a bicycle rather than being forced to walk everywhere for the rest of your life?
Jun 24, 2017 7:55 AM

May 2015
i've already hurt myself this much why not go all the way v-v
Jun 24, 2017 7:57 AM

Apr 2011
They've already ruined it past the point of redemption so who cares if they wanna get some easy money or not.
Jun 24, 2017 8:14 AM

Feb 2013
The only good thing about the latest two Berserk anime was the music and the characters, everything else was horrible.
Jun 24, 2017 8:14 AM

Apr 2017
otakucat said:

As I previously said, getting ANY adaptation is better than none. Especially if it is popular enough to justify companies to SPEND MORE ON A BETTER ADAPTATION as the existing one proved there is a lucrative audience for such. Think of it as a company/author testing the waters or estimating market demand. If they know they can make money with a lesser product, they know demand for a better one will likely exist.

I would prefer to skip dinner over eating cat-shit. If people don't watch this shitty anime, the creators might realize they have to actually bother with making a good adaptation. If people watch this anime, and especially if they don't criticice it, the creators think that shit quality is enough to satisfy the audience and thus they won't have to ever bother making a good adaptation. If people gladly eat the dogfood in a restaurant, the chefs won't feel like they have to cook actual food.

Watch: https://youtu.be/QrV6NysVw2c?t=8m1s

otakucat said:
Well, in the world of your analogy, wouldn't you feel better getting SOME food rather than never seeing another day after you have starved to death from a complete lack of ANY sustenance? Wouldn't you feel better getting a bicycle rather than being forced to walk everywhere for the rest of your life?

There's a good Berserk anime from 1997, and the manga has not perished into oblivion. Thus I can't possibly "starve" in this sense. Eating feces is not something I could do anyway...
Jun 24, 2017 8:30 AM

Jan 2010
I'd like to have season 3 and 4 and so on.

Yeah, it gets cuts and censorship. But for us, manga readers, who cares?!

I mean: for the original work we... read the original work.

The anime is just a nice way to "recap", for me. Berserk manga is quite slow, and sometimes unfortunately I happened to forget some stuff and had to read it all over again. Now not anymore: this anime was a refreshing boost to my memory, and not that bad as censorship and cuts cons are balanced by great voice acting and music.

Sure, I'd never suggest watching this instead of the manga. NEVER!!!
But for manga readers... I don't understand the hate.
Jun 24, 2017 9:05 AM

Mar 2016
Unless it's done by a competent team this time, then I honestly hope not.
Sigh.
Jun 24, 2017 11:00 AM
Jul 2013
Only when the next Season would have normal animations and not this bad CGI.
Jun 24, 2017 11:30 AM

Dec 2014
Berserk 16/7 brought so many memes now that not having more next year will seem strange.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ

Jun 24, 2017 1:51 PM

Feb 2014
Well berserk is about suffering so why not ?
Jun 24, 2017 9:40 PM

Jun 2017
otakucat said:

If you're willing to be happy with a cheap product, why would the animation company bother to spend more money on it? They might as well keep making the cheap product and reap more profits. You're going to keep watching it anyways, after all. To continue the food analogy, that's like expecting McDonald's to invest in great-tasting, healthy products, even though you're happily forking over money for cheap unhealthy burgers. In fact, McDonald's and other chain restaurants have been revamping their menus lately because they've been losing money and are desperate to win back customers. The lesson to be learned from that should be that the only way to get a company to change is to stop supporting them when they sell crappy products.

I agree completely with zodd0, I would rather have no product than a badly-made one. Why would you want something to become popular for the wrong reasons? It just means that they're going to give you more of the same, now and in the future with other series. Also, it bothers me to be treated like an idiot who can be given crap and be expected to eat it up with a smile. Yeah, I get it, animation companies are a business that exists to make money, but there's a difference between expecting to make money off of a quality product, and putting out a cheap product because you expect the fans to blindly throw money at you. Rewarding them by throwing money at them is not the way to get them to stop doing it.
Jun 24, 2017 9:47 PM
Dec 2012
It's too late to turn back now.
Jun 25, 2017 4:13 AM

May 2009
otakucat said:

Nice job on refuting the major point of the above post. Ya know, the one about how the "problem" fans are the ones increasing the chances that better (less "objectively bad") adaptations might be made in the future - as they prove the franchise is still marketable. ;O Oh, wait... ;)

What the hell are you even talking about? What point to refute? You're just making up stuff about the success of Berserk while every single fan hates both seasons. The only way this mess is actually profitable is that it generates enough interest that people want to read the manga, but Miura is already drawing new chapters even after the anime has ended, so there's your """"argument"""".

And by the way, people like you who only buy a crunchy subscription, who watch the new anime only for a few months and then forget about it, you don't matter in the slightest. You are even less than a blip on the radar in terms of profitability. The people who actually matter are the ones that buy the manga volumes as early as possible. So keep your fantasies of "good Berserk anime by Millepensee" to yourself cause that ain't going to happen unless you buy manga volumes in bulk.

And speaking of profitability, you know the first Berserk anime series? The 97 one? Go look the animation studio behind it, Oriental Light and Magic, and see what else they produced at the same time Berserk was airing. Take a good hard look and learn something about economics.
Arashi89Jun 25, 2017 5:15 AM
Jun 25, 2017 4:19 AM

Sep 2016
otakucat said:
Arashi89 said:

zodd0 said:

im afraid that you might be having a shit eater mentality a.k.a no standard
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jun 25, 2017 9:43 AM
Jan 2013
otakucat said:
I honestly don't think the animation is that big of a problem. So it isn't grade A, I can look past that easily for an awesome story and action!

Here here! If the story is crap, the best animation won't save it. If the story is good (and since I haven't read the manga, I have nothing to compare it against) I can deal with the animation.

I actually found the animation technique it to be unique and lend itself to the gritty story. Again, not having read the manga for comparison, it doesn't bother me at all.
Jun 26, 2017 12:24 AM

Oct 2012
Sure, why not. The 2016 anime was bad but the 2017 one was definitely an improvement. Plus the upcoming arc is probably the most interesting one after the Golden Age arc.
Jun 28, 2017 8:38 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
otakucat said:

This argument doesn't work. At all. You evidently don't have a clue what you're talking about, and just because I really dislike ignorance being disseminated I would like to take the time and explain this very thoroughly.

First and foremost, the "anything is better than nothing" mantra simply isn't true. The main reason is opportunity cost. If something costs a given amount of money to produce, you have to think whether that would be a good investment of the money and whether something else wouldn't be a better investment. So if you decide to proceed with an adaptation, you better make sure it garners enough mass appeal to at least make the investment back, and ideally increase the brand's value by attracting new fans and expanding the potential audience. A good adaptation is both successful on its own and helps the other parts of the IP grow as well. If your adaptation is panned by critics and general audience alike—and deservedly so—you've just shot yourself in the foot. Not only you have failed at expanding your market because the newcomers wouldn't have guessed that the original material was that much better (who would?)—you have also succeeded at dropping the brand value beyond the cost of production. Why? Because alongside the loss of prospective newcomers you've also alienated a percentage of your initial fans which constitute your core financial support. By making an inherently inferior product, you double-down on your losses. It's NEVER profitable in the long term to make bad things. If somebody says or does otherwise, it betrays their critical lack of business foresight, and just because that person or company hasn't failed yet doesn't mean they won't. Even relatively large companies fail all the time, and they only have their management to blame.

Then there's this thing called marketing, something many (most?) Japanese publishers are just laughably bad with. Most of them only care about the domestic market even though there are tons of money available abroad, and they often don't care if the adaptation does well on its own as long as it boosts the sales of the manga or LN source material. To provide a counterexample of this, Joker Game, a woefully mediocre anime with no previously established fanbase to speak of, has done consistently well on sales figures because of its aggressive marketing campaign (I was in Japan at the time, and Akihabara had tons of huge posters and other POS promo materials for JG on almost every corner). Kabaneri, a bloody action late-night flick that aired the same season as JG, has also been commercially successful despite the much higher budget poured into it, despite having literally no fanbase prior to the announcement, and despite actually being dumb as fuck unlike Berserk. And that's considering the similar parental control restrictions being applicable to it. The production committee made profit there despite much larger expenses, because the show was marketed better and released with an international audience in mind—and I assure you, Amazon being on the board from day 1 had a lot to do with both, because it's a company with decent amount of business sense. This goes to show that as long as you are being smart about marketing something, you can sell a steaming turd and make a profit. Whereas the Berserk adaptation production committee seems very content with making a quick buck from the increase in manga sales instead of making the adaptation itself profitable and otherwise successful on its own. Instead of adding to the value of Berserk, it actually detracts from it.

Let me reiterate so that this is very clear to you: in the business world, you don't start small and hope for eventual popularity—you create the popularity by investing into it. For a title like Berserk that has already had international fame and more accolades than most of the published manga series combined this should've been piss-easy. And they've flushed it down the fucking drain because they didn't want to take a small risk (probability-wise) to reap a huge reward like the other publishers did with inferior works. The only way for something to become popular without major investments is if it's quality is so far above the average it starts speaking for itself—unfortunately, this works the opposite way when the product is notably bad. And because this is all recent history and the internet is merciless in disseminating unwanted opinions, every next blunder becomes progressively harder to cover up and pretend it didn't happen. Consider also that this is the second season of the third TV adaptation of Berserk, so "testing waters" (for 20 years, lmao) isn't just inapplicable to it, but also quite ridiculous considering most written works don't even receive a second season of whatever initial adaptation they go with. Besides, tests like these are only going to show inconclusive results because it's too hard to sort and pin down the reasons for overwhelmingly negative press. If you're producing an inferior adaptation, you're running the risk of it being hated for reasons that have nothing to do with the original work—which is exactly what we're seeing here. When you're doing this repeatedly, you also tend to use up your credibility—if you've made a blunder twice and learned nothing from it, who's going to believe you the third time?

Now to the next part, the most important one in my opinion. Unconditionally defensive "fans" like you are the problem of any commercial industry—which anime definitely belongs to. Miura draws his manga and does it so well not because he's driven by the profit—far from it—but because, above everything else, he has (or at least had) a passion for the world and the story he created, and the fact that it brings him profit allows him to continue working on it at a comfortable pace. For him, Berserk is not a business venture. But publishers are different: where there is no profit for them, there is no passion. Which is why they look at the bottom line as a measure of success, and will jump on any opportunity to increase it—such as by cutting their expenses. And the amount and the quality of opportunities they see depend entirely on their business sense which isn't always good. Now if you compare the 2017 adaptation to the 2016 one, what lessons do you see learned? Has anything become drastically better, can the adaptation stand on its own legs without relying on the source material and its fanbase as a necessary crutch? If your honest answer is no, then you've been had, plain and simple. And no, I don't have to hear the answer because it's obvious enough, and I have enough sense and education to prove it. The 2017 adaptation is just as bad, and for all the same reasons as the previous one. (To save myself some time, I will direct everyone interested to Super Eyepatch Wolf's videos that provide a good and well-illustrated summary: 1, 2, and also this talk by Digibro and his brother where they directly compare the 1997 and 2016 adaptations of the same manga scene.)

This brings us back to the opportunity cost, but this time from the consumer's perspective. If an adaptation doesn't add anything of value to the original (which this one certainly doesn't), it's not "better" nor "needed"—because the original is still there and is great, so no-one has to bother with an inherently inferior version. I reread the original manga several times because it works and is consistently great in execution, so every time I read it I think, man, this is so fucking good. Conversely, when I watched the 2016 adaptation, the only thought I had is that of suffering through it in the vain hope of something becoming better. I seriously considered dropping the show after episode 4, but decided to continue for completion's sake more than anything else. I would never consider rewatching it, and this new season I dropped by the end of episode 1, seeing as nothing has changed for the better. I mean, I already know the story by heart in any case, so why would I possibly subject myself to something that is so much worse than the manga I already have, let alone pay extra for my own displeasure? I'm not an idiot; I have standards—and I encourage you and everyone else adopt them as well. The fact that the adaptation was evidently made to make a quick buck is a slap in the self-respecting fans' faces more than anything else. Failed experiments and honest blunders are unfortunate but forgivable; this isn't. Adaptations should at least try to elevate the original. Vote for the good adaptations with your wallet, help the promising ones, and let the incompetent and lazy ones drown. The open market has built-in self-correction mechanisms like this for your own benefit, but they only work if you allow them to in the first place.

Another thing that bothers me, perhaps the most of all, is that your argument seems to suggest that merely raising the budget would actually solve all the problems with the new shows. While this is partly true—the Blurays do have more hand-animated 2D frames that actually look better (which is, again, mind-boggling because essentially the same work is being done twice—again, great business sense right there)—you cannot magically make the director more competent even if you shower them in gold. There are so many obvious failures on the level of composition, framing, pacing, and so on, that even if you ask Miura himself to redraw the frames by hand, it would still look poor. The same applies to bizarre color choices, subpar acting, laughable sound design, and other aspects of production that directly suggest the studio being incapable of adapting this sort of material whatsoever. And all of this reeks of perpetuation of poor decisions on behalf of the production committee, which is a very common theme in Japanese industries: if they make a bad decision once, they're far more likely to stick with it as long as possible instead of admitting and fixing it. If you cannot see any of this and thus cannot infer that investing into collector's editions of the 2016 and 2017 adaptations' BD boxes will NOT remedy the situation at all, then there's no helping your ability to argue your point, either. Thanks for your attention, I'm done here.
moozoohJun 28, 2017 3:13 PM
Jun 28, 2017 8:43 AM

Nov 2013
Sure, why not. Let's see just how bad this can get.
Jun 28, 2017 6:20 PM
Apr 2017
moozooh said:
otakucat said:

This argument doesn't work. At all. You evidently don't have a clue what you're talking about, and just because I really dislike ignorance being disseminated I would like to take the time and explain this very thoroughly.

First and foremost, the "anything is better than nothing" mantra simply isn't true. The main reason is opportunity cost. If something costs a given amount of money to produce, you have to think whether that would be a good investment of the money and whether something else wouldn't be a better investment. So if you decide to proceed with an adaptation, you better make sure it garners enough mass appeal to at least make the investment back, and ideally increase the brand's value by attracting new fans and expanding the potential audience. A good adaptation is both successful on its own and helps the other parts of the IP grow as well. If your adaptation is panned by critics and general audience alike—and deservedly so—you've just shot yourself in the foot. Not only you have failed at expanding your market because the newcomers wouldn't have guessed that the original material was that much better (who would?)—you have also succeeded at dropping the brand value beyond the cost of production. Why? Because alongside the loss of prospective newcomers you've also alienated a percentage of your initial fans which constitute your core financial support. By making an inherently inferior product, you double-down on your losses. It's NEVER profitable in the long term to make bad things. If somebody says or does otherwise, it betrays their critical lack of business foresight, and just because that person or company hasn't failed yet doesn't mean they won't. Even relatively large companies fail all the time, and they only have their management to blame.

Then there's this thing called marketing, something many (most?) Japanese publishers are just laughably bad with. Most of them only care about the domestic market even though there are tons of money available abroad, and they often don't care if the adaptation does well on its own as long as it boosts the sales of the manga or LN source material. To provide a counterexample of this, Joker Game, a woefully mediocre anime with no previously established fanbase to speak of, has done consistently well on sales figures because of its aggressive marketing campaign (I was in Japan at the time, and Akihabara had tons of huge posters and other POS promo materials for JG on almost every corner). Kabaneri, a bloody action late-night flick that aired the same season as JG, has also been commercially successful despite the much higher budget poured into it, despite having literally no fanbase prior to the announcement, and despite actually being dumb as fuck unlike Berserk. And that's considering the similar parental control restrictions being applicable to it. The production committee made profit there despite much larger expenses, because the show was marketed better and released with an international audience in mind—and I assure you, Amazon being on the board from day 1 had a lot to do with both, because it's a company with decent amount of business sense. This goes to show that as long as you are being smart about marketing something, you can sell a steaming turd and make a profit. Whereas the Berserk adaptation production committee seems very content with making a quick buck from the increase in manga sales instead of making the adaptation itself profitable and otherwise successful on its own. Instead of adding to the value of Berserk, it actually detracts from it.

Let me reiterate so that this is very clear to you: in the business world, you don't start small and hope for eventual popularity—you create the popularity by investing into it. For a title like Berserk that has already had international fame and more accolades than most of the published manga series combined this should've been piss-easy. And they've flushed it down the fucking drain because they didn't want to take a small risk (probability-wise) to reap a huge reward like the other publishers did with inferior works. The only way for something to become popular without major investments is if it's quality is so far above the average it starts speaking for itself—unfortunately, this works the opposite way when the product is notably bad. And because this is all recent history and the internet is merciless in disseminating unwanted opinions, every next blunder becomes progressively harder to cover up and pretend it didn't happen. Consider also that this is the second season of the third TV adaptation of Berserk, so "testing waters" (for 20 years, lmao) isn't just inapplicable to it, but also quite ridiculous considering most written works don't even receive a second season of whatever initial adaptation they go with. Besides, tests like these are only going to show inconclusive results because it's too hard to sort and pin down the reasons for overwhelmingly negative press. If you're producing an inferior adaptation, you're running the risk of it being hated for reasons that have nothing to do with the original work—which is exactly what we're seeing here. When you're doing this repeatedly, you also tend to use up your credibility—if you've made a blunder twice and learned nothing from it, who's going to believe you the third time?

Now to the next part, the most important one in my opinion. Unconditionally defensive "fans" like you are the problem of any commercial industry—which anime definitely belongs to. Miura draws his manga and does it so well not because he's driven by the profit—far from it—but because, above everything else, he has (or at least had) a passion for the world and the story he created, and the fact that it brings him profit allows him to continue working on it at a comfortable pace. For him, Berserk is not a business venture. But publishers are different: where there is no profit for them, there is no passion. Which is why they look at the bottom line as a measure of success, and will jump on any opportunity to increase it—such as by cutting their expenses. And the amount and the quality of opportunities they see depend entirely on their business sense which isn't always good. Now if you compare the 2017 adaptation to the 2016 one, what lessons do you see learned? Has anything become drastically better, can the adaptation stand on its own legs without relying on the source material and its fanbase as a necessary crutch? If your honest answer is no, then you've been had, plain and simple. And no, I don't have to hear the answer because it's obvious enough, and I have enough sense and education to prove it. The 2017 adaptation is just as bad, and for all the same reasons as the previous one. (To save myself some time, I will direct everyone interested to Super Eyepatch Wolf's videos that provide a good and well-illustrated summary: 1, 2, and also this talk by Digibro and his brother where they directly compare the 1997 and 2016 adaptations of the same manga scene.)

This brings us back to the opportunity cost, but this time from the consumer's perspective. If an adaptation doesn't add anything of value to the original (which this one certainly doesn't), it's not "better" nor "needed"—because the original is still there and is great, so no-one has to bother with an inherently inferior version. I reread the original manga several times because it works and is consistently great in execution, so every time I read it I think, man, this is so fucking good. Conversely, when I watched the 2016 adaptation, the only thought I had is that of suffering through it in the vain hope of something becoming better. I seriously considered dropping the show after episode 4, but decided to continue for completion's sake more than anything else. I would never consider rewatching it, and this new season I dropped by the end of episode 1, seeing as nothing has changed for the better. I mean, I already know the story by heart in any case, so why would I possibly subject myself to something that is so much worse than the manga I already have, let alone pay extra for my own displeasure? I'm not an idiot; I have standards—and I encourage you and everyone else adopt them as well. The fact that the adaptation was evidently made to make a quick buck is a slap in the self-respecting fans' faces more than anything else. Failed experiments and honest blunders are unfortunate but forgivable; this isn't. Adaptations should at least try to elevate the original. Vote for the good adaptations with your wallet, help the promising ones, and let the incompetent and lazy ones drown. The open market has built-in self-correction mechanisms like this for your own benefit, but they only work if you allow them to in the first place.

Another thing that bothers me, perhaps the most of all, is that your argument seems to suggest that merely raising the budget would actually solve all the problems with the new shows. While this is partly true—the Blurays do have more hand-animated 2D frames that actually look better (which is, again, mind-boggling because essentially the same work is being done twice—again, great business sense right there)—you cannot magically make the director more competent even if you shower them in gold. There are so many obvious failures on the level of composition, framing, pacing, and so on, that even if you ask Miura himself to redraw the frames by hand, it would still look poor. The same applies to bizarre color choices, subpar acting, laughable sound design, and other aspects of production that directly suggest the studio being incapable of adapting this sort of material whatsoever. And all of this reeks of perpetuation of poor decisions on behalf of the production committee, which is a very common theme in Japanese industries: if they make a bad decision once, they're far more likely to stick with it as long as possible instead of admitting and fixing it. If you cannot see any of this and thus cannot infer that investing into collector's editions of the 2016 and 2017 adaptations' BD boxes will NOT remedy the situation at all, then there's no helping your ability to argue your point, either. Thanks for your attention, I'm done here.

Amazing text dude.. I hope more people read this and stop defend this adaptations.
Jul 2, 2017 1:22 AM

Mar 2009
While I got to the point of "the CGI is what it is and there's nothing we can do about it," the production was just downright awful at times this season. There were episodes that looked like they were animated in Flash: the infamous episode before the recap, for one.

But what really bothered me this season was how they're not staying faithful to the manga. I can't understand why they made the decision to remove the Moonlight Child. And if they're going to start making cuts like that...well, who knows what else they can cut out in the future.
Jul 4, 2017 9:19 AM

Apr 2017

Animation seems to have improved slightly.
Jul 4, 2017 9:38 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
To be fair, 2017's opening was pretty good.
Jul 4, 2017 9:52 AM

Dec 2015
Imagine a sequel to HxH 2011 with Berserk 2016/2017 CG animation, or even a JoJo. Would you guys still say "it's better than nothing"?? I highly doubt that. We don't need more of this, Miura just needs to stop the hiatuses.

zodd0 said:
[yt]Dl0BNk7WTB4[yt]

Animation seems to have improved slightly.
Seems legit :3
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 5, 2017 11:41 AM

Jul 2014
We do not need any more berserk from this studio.
Sep 16, 2017 4:00 AM
Oct 2011
moozooh said:
otakucat said:

Pretty sure he meant in a fan POV, not on the producer, me as a fan of berserk had lost all hopes for a sequel, then like 15 years later they released a sequel, even if people are calling it shit and it probably didn't sell well, i still enjoyed it (yea obviously could've been 100 times better). I'd rather have watched this than no sequel, it's not that bad if it brings you nostalgia from the manga (i like anime waay more than manga, so) and the story is great (though they skipped some stuff, it's np).
Also, people don't always do stuff just for money, FYI.
Sep 23, 2017 2:39 PM

May 2012
I hope we get to see more Berserk even if it is same studio
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

85 by Revanant1999 »»
Jan 25, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Jan 20, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:08 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2017

102 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 18, 2023 1:02 AM

» 3rd season?

Arddaa52 - Jul 5, 2021

19 by Amirsalar88 »»
Jul 15, 2023 9:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.