Forum Settings
Forums

What's the origin of generic slime monsters in fantasy anime?

New
Jun 20, 2017 7:57 AM

Sep 2016
It's no secret that most light fantasy anime take inspiration from European mythology (vampires, orcs, elves, dwarves, etc) so I was wondering where slime monsters came from since I've never heard of them outside of anime, manga and Japanese games.
Jun 20, 2017 8:06 AM

Sep 2012
Hmmm interesting question. However you are wrong. It's origin far from Japan.

Here a link to help you.
Jun 20, 2017 8:14 AM

Nov 2009
hungrybroccoli said:
It's no secret that most light fantasy anime take inspiration from European mythology (vampires, orcs, elves, dwarves, etc) so I was wondering where slime monsters came from since I've never heard of them outside of anime, manga and Japanese games.

Actually, slimes are a common feature in western RPGs too.
They date back to the early days of DnD at least. A wiki I'm reading says that back in 1977, ADnD Monster Manual already had that silly Gelatinous Cube as well as some more common-sense slimes.
Jun 20, 2017 10:39 AM

Sep 2016
Thanks for the replies, wasn't aware of the DnD connection.
tokyosaladJun 20, 2017 10:43 AM
Jun 24, 2017 12:54 AM

Apr 2015
There's actually American sci-fi/horror movie from the 1958 The Blob "A living slime from outer space that consumes everything in its path as it grows and grows". It was a small budget B movie that earned 4 millions in post office. While I couldn't find what inspired for the monster to be slime, they wanted to make a movie that didn't use a man-in-costume for the monster like every other creature feature did. A slime would be cheap to make on a small budget so they prob rolled with that. Space was the big thing then compared to fantasy, I guess fantasy genre borrowed it later.
Jun 24, 2017 12:58 AM

Nov 2013
Maybe from the popularity of Dragon Quest in Japan, you know that blue slime that is always on the cover. Also, its not that hard to think of a slime monster really.
Jun 24, 2017 1:10 AM

Feb 2015
Blarey said:
Maybe from the popularity of Dragon Quest in Japan, you know that blue slime that is always on the cover. Also, its not that hard to think of a slime monster really.

Yeah, I too think Dragon Quest might inspired it.

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

63 by DigiCat »»
4 seconds ago

» Can someone help me find this anime's name?

Angelblue1852 - 1 hour ago

2 by trinitroglycerin »»
26 seconds ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 4 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
30 seconds ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

32 by Catalano »»
3 minutes ago

» Ruined after Serial Experiments Lain [Spoilers]

zaitec - May 6, 2017

16 by bacassu »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.