Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Do you think every piece of media should be 100% realistic?

Jun 19, 1:12 PM
Since people are so obssessed with realism in fiction (for some reason), what would happen if anime, manga, and other piece of media (movies, books, video games....) were 100% realistic?
Can you imagine? 100% realistic Pokémon/Naruto/Sailor Moon/HxH/FMA/Powerpuff Girls/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings?
No magical powers, no mystical creatures, no unrealistic situations, everybody is literraly the hero and the villain at the same time, no aliens...
Because apparentely, a massive amount of people hate every piece of media that is not realistic, even if it's a Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks movie (well, most of them have messages that can be applied to real life).
So, what you think? 100% of realism is something good?

Jun 19, 1:14 PM
Does this even qualify as a shitpost...?
Hehehe Hehehe Haha Hahahaha!!
Koroshite ageru!

Jun 19, 1:15 PM
Thus the birth of the slice of life genre everyone can relate to.

Jun 19, 1:16 PM
I do believe that a good amount of SoL anime is like that.

Jun 19, 1:16 PM
I don't even understand what you're getting at since you lost me at the second sentence.

Jun 19, 1:17 PM
I wouldn't really take complaints against realism too seriously, seeing as most of the time people pick and choose what to focus on; if they take issue with something they'll single that out as being unrealistic whilst ignoring absolutely everything else that was also unrealistic but went right under their nose.

That's not to say complaints against the lack of realism are unfounded; sometimes one's suspension of disbelief can be pushed too far by the events if they are routinely unrealistic. If you have a setting / story where the main character goes through some life-altering events and their personality doesn't adapt / evolve even one whit then there's cause for complaint there.

But I don't think "100% realistic" anime would be very fun to watch. It's a good thing slice-of-life exists, though, because they can go a little further in reaching this criteria at times without going overboard.

The issue with what you're saying, though : "no unrealistic situations" is that whether or not something is realistic is highly dependent on one's own experiences and thought-processes. How will you assess what is realistic or not? Everyone will have their own boundaries, their own lines to draw on whether or not something is conforming in the way it should. Coincidences in fiction are derided for being too coincidental, yet coincidences happen every single day in real life. "Oh really, how unrealistic is that?! There's no way they'd actually come across each other!" is something I've seen from time to time, yet people don't question that when it happens in real life. I'm sure everyone has, at some point in their lives, gone out shopping or to eat and just so happened to come across someone they know, who also happened to go to the same place, at the same time, on the same day who came from the same class, from the same school, etc.

Whether or not something is realistic - 100% - would be a never-ending circle of debates.
Modified by Maz, Jun 19, 1:21 PM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.

Jun 19, 1:17 PM
no aliens...

That won't be 100% realistic though x)

Jun 19, 1:18 PM

Based on reviews and discussions on MAL and Facebook, I realized that many people complain when an anime is not realistic or deal with real life situations in a unrealistic way. Maybe they would be happy if every single anime was 100% realistic.

Jun 19, 1:25 PM
no underage girls with physics defying tits?

boy if you don't....

Jun 19, 1:27 PM
Nah
Anime is not supposed to be realistic

Jun 19, 1:27 PM
It's just pointless to look for realism in fiction.
There's no need to say anything else.

Jun 19, 1:40 PM
Anime would get boring reeeaally fast if it was always 100% realistic.

Jun 19, 1:41 PM
Most of the shounen protagonists would be dead.

Jun 19, 1:42 PM
The everything would be Slice of Life. I'm surprised some people voted yes.

Jun 19, 1:45 PM
It would be a sad day for the Haruhi in all of us.

God no, a work of fiction is entertaining because its fiction. I have enough drama and realism in my life, I dont need my entertainment to turn into one as well.

When people ask for 'realism' in fiction, I think they're just looking for characters and situations they can relate to, not trying to ban magic/fantasy/superpowers/whatever entirely

Jun 19, 1:52 PM
There are mature slice of life like Usagi Drop and Bartender that are perfectly realistic, but although those are good shows it's something that would get dull after a while. We already have plenty of reality in the real world.

Jun 19, 1:56 PM
It would be really boring. For realism, I already have my life, and that is enough.

Jun 19, 1:59 PM
Seiji Kishi-Fag
That would be irritating... also, I got confused as shit with the OP comment.

Jun 19, 2:11 PM
I don't think it's a bad thing if a show is realistic, some of them are actually really good.
But I think anime shows aren't supposed to be realistic and in the first place they were made to make us look away from reality in which we live and have to deal with every day, not to remind us of sadness and depression.

Jun 19, 2:13 PM
I value realism a lot in my animus, but that doesn't mean shows with magic or supernatural themes can't be good or can't have realism in them. If a show contains magic themes that's just how it is - meaning it's not supposed to be realistic. What I'm looking for is realism and a logical consistency in how the world works within its premise. As well as depicting the characters themselves, their emotions, reactions, relationships, way of thinking in a believable fashion. This also includes showing their strengths and weaknesses, good sides and bad sides, like a real human beingand not fucking Kirito from SAO.

I'm not saying having everything to be 100% realistic is the end all be all epitome of anime writing. I personally appreciate it so much just because it's incredibly rare to find in anime as a whole, with it being flooded by tropes and insufferable stereotypes that are far from what we see in real life. I just want to see shows try something new.

You can even take a concept, premise or setting that's been done a million times before and simply present it in a nuanced manner and it will be so much more rewarding and interesting to watch. A good example of this is NGNL, which I by no means consider to be a great show. But being a show that caters to otaku culture like so many other series, to me it was nuanced in that it didn't take itself seriously and in being aware of its shallow, nonsensical identity which made it significantly more fun to watch than let's say SAO. Even without realism.
Modified by Elesh, Jun 19, 2:22 PM

Jun 19, 3:39 PM
Mutated Elitist
While I think that taking 'realistic' elements and implementing them into a fantastical world is a great idea, running purely on realistic elements is something very few writers are able to get right, and even fewer are able to get right while still staying interesting.

Part of my appeal for anime is the world(s) that the various series work in, and the intricacies of those worlds and how they influence their characters. If anime dedicated itself to just being realistic, this selling point would be gone and I'd likely have already burnt myself out on the genre, and moved onto other fantastical stuff.

nikiforova said:
I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day.

Jun 19, 3:41 PM
if anime was an exact representation of life, i'd be getting laid by now, which is clearly not happening with me.

i think it should be an exact representation of life (like watamote) so i can actually relate with it

the only things that dropped lower than my balls during puberty were my grades and my self-esteem

Jun 19, 3:43 PM
If anime isn't meant to be realistic, then I don't understand all those complaints about kuroko no basuke being unrealistic sports anime. Is there a law written somewhere on a paper that says it has to be one? Cut me some slack.

Jun 19, 4:06 PM
If everything was entirely realistic in the sense that it was literally mirroring our own world, then what would be the point of fiction?
You could just watch documentaries and get the same out of it.

Vini310 said:
Based on reviews and discussions on MAL and Facebook, I realized that many people complain when an anime is not realistic or deal with real life situations in a unrealistic way. Maybe they would be happy if every single anime was 100% realistic.

When you phrase it like this it sounds to me like you've misunderstood these people's complaints.
These kind of complaints are often made when something within an anime becomes unbelievable to the watcher so it destroys their sense immersion, often ruining part of the show. It is more so about whether or not something makes sense within the context of the show than anything else. It has very little to do with whether or not the anime in question 100% resembles reality.

The degree to which things should be realistic/believable in this way is, however, just as subjective as taste (because it is part of your taste), and can vary greatly depending on the kind of show that's being dealt with.
Asking for everything to be 100% realistic in that sense is therefore idiotic too.
*sips tea*

Jun 19, 4:13 PM
What if all Anime were realistic? Do you mean ruining Anime? Realism is fine, but if every show was using realism it would end up being boring.

Jun 19, 4:16 PM
Master Expander
Well if all media was real, then this video is real:

Jun 19, 4:18 PM
Then it wouldn't be anime, it'd be like drama series or something like TV shows... Wait... heck, those shits are not also realistic... :/

I guess a biography of all the people huh... :/

Jun 19, 4:20 PM
No point for anime then, just watch the history channel.

Jun 19, 4:29 PM
Not sure if serious or seriously stupid....

People aren't complaining about stuff being unrealistic. They're complaining about stuff not being believable. There's a huuuuuuuuuge difference between the two.

Jun 19, 4:31 PM
the charm of anime is that its fantasy, you would kill it

Jun 19, 4:40 PM
People don't complain that something isn't 100% realistic, they complain that it's unrealistic in a stupid way or to an extent that makes it apparent the writer is incompetent/lazy/just all around terrible.

Sorry you have shit taste and are butthurt about it.

Jun 19, 4:52 PM
I think those people should stop interfering with our community. Don't forget that some people try to get away from real life.

Jun 19, 6:51 PM
I feel like even SoL stuff tends to be pretty drastically idealized to a degree in terms of characterization and the more situational aspects of them. Being down to earth and not rooted in some crazy fantasy scenario doesn't necessitate being realistic, I don't know why so many people seem to think that ._.

Realism when used in the context of characterization and other aspects people usually clamor for is something that seems pretty poorly defined as is, so meh. Reality is defined more or less by what an individual perceives it to be based off of their own experiences and interactions with their surroundings and hardly has a catch-all way of interpreting what's realistic and what isn't. There are things many people can agree upon as being realistic or unrealistic - an example is that I feel few people who have seen Mahouka, liked it or hated it, would say that either of the Shiba siblings were a realistic characters - but, like pretty much anything with roots in majority consensus, just because it's likely few people would actually say they think otherwise doesn't really cement it in any way other than "Ok, this is something a lot of people think so it might have some weight to it." That's operating in an extreme example, too, or at least one I strongly feel to be on the extreme ends of things, and characters such as they are usually the only ones that people will point to as being unrealistic in a negative way to begin with. It's pretty much exclusively up for interpretation and I don't really feel like many people seem to think that, which is weird to me.

All of that's putting aside about how I find it incredibly difficult to believe that realism is inherently better than idealization on anything other than a personal level, and a personal level that's operating in an extreme at that. At least the poll results seem to make me feel less jaded about the whole thing since it sort of confirms an idea that people who actually find realism to be inherently superior are a significant minority.

But meh. I lean towards more fictionalized and idealistic stuff anyway, which is a nice way of saying "I really just want gud waifu," so I'd probably choose that over whatever is being defined as realism by somebody other than myself anyway. Realistic women can be annoying and require maintenance, while waifu are nice and ideal.
Modified by Manaban, Jun 19, 7:02 PM

Jun 19, 7:10 PM
People only complain about a show's realism when the show fails to show anything relatable or when the show pulls something incredibly unbelievable out of its ass for the sake of plot convenience (aka lazy writing). This doesn't mean that you need a show to be 100% realistic for people not to complain. Also, no one would find a 100% realistic show interesting anyway because that's not the reason why they watch anime in the first place.

Jun 19, 7:44 PM
realism is not good on it's own... realism oftenly make something good because make it more relatable and understable... anime is not supposed to adhore realism to begin with, howeverm realism can be a spice that not harmful if well put...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Jun 19, 7:46 PM
anime would either be really boring or really interesting

Jun 19, 7:53 PM
How would Naruto even work if it were 100% realistic? Just kids going to school and then going to recess and playing ninja?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"

Jun 19, 9:51 PM
Well then it wouldn't be anime anymore now wouldn't it... The whole whole point media even exists is give of a sense of unrealistic entertainment that we can enjoy. No one wants to live a boring life and watch someone else's too...
damn, the forums these days...

Jun 19, 10:01 PM
Well, anime, manga or any piece of fiction storylines are somehow related to realism because the writers or the directors build up their masterpieces based on many real facts of life. Once the life keeps going on, the characters are seen as legit in some meanings.

Jun 19, 10:07 PM
if you really want realistic story telling, youcan always read history anyways...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Jun 19, 10:10 PM
We depicts of what we called logic am I right OP, Any basis from every shows can value realism cause their well executed neither be less captured from it's set of view.

Top 10's are for wankers anyways... Oh plss no need to be autistic about having a HUMAN NATURE taste by that Special Snowflake EGO of yours Cause it's unrealistically "R E T A R D E D"

Jun 19, 10:13 PM
what is real when you think about it.

Also this. Food for thought.

Modified by Tonysol67, Jun 19, 10:18 PM

Jun 19, 10:23 PM
public domain
Right, because everyone wants to watch a school setting with a slightly chubby kid being too awkward to talk to any girl yet vigorously masturbating to them at night.

Your op hurt to read, by the way.

Jun 19, 10:56 PM
Nothing, other than real life is 100% realistic...

Jun 19, 10:59 PM
Fuck realism, I watch anime for the giant robots!

It could work wonders tho, but only if it's totally bizarre and realistic at the same time. For example: Gantz, Kaiji and Akagi.

Jun 20, 12:17 AM
Are you telling me that I'll never be able to go super saiyan and that all I'll be able to do is force a turd out of my ass while trying?

That monsters will come out of spinning tops and control their movements while seemingly being able to spin forever?

Wizard guilds don't exist and I'll never learn magic?

There is no reality in where beautiful women will punch below their weight and date beta males because they're good at games? (Well to their merit, they would have good finger skills I guess...)

Well shit, you just ruined everything for me.

I'm in despair...

Jun 20, 2:29 AM
meh, anime made to be unrealistic and have some fun factors in it, that is some of the reasons that made anime enjoyable and fun in my opinion. It's not anime anymore if it 100% realistic.
||"Will you still love me even when you know who I truly am ?"||» Deliveries «||

Jun 20, 2:34 AM
If everything you mentioned is 100% realistic, then we're all fucked. You will be dead. I will be dead. Everyone will be dead. The world is more fucked than it is now.
----------------------------------------
"NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~"
NANACHI (MADE IN ABYSS), 2017
----------------------------------------

Pages (2) [1] 2 »