Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
K-ON!
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 19, 2017 5:08 AM

Sep 2015
Hey! ✋

Like One Punch Man, very people discuss about if K-ON is a seinen or not. The people that say K-ON is a seinen says it because a lot of men enjoy watching a innocent cuteness girl and/or adolescent girls, mixed with humor. Also because the manga of K-ON was publicated in a seinen magazine, and a seinen magazine is bought by grown men, isn't it?

The people that says K-ON isn't a seinen don't give a good argument (for what I have seen), but their thoughts surely are "this anime hasn't violence, extreme situations... so, this can't be a seinen".

What do you think? And why? See you. 🤗

P.S. Sorry if I had a bad English xP
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 19, 2017 5:23 AM
Jul 2018
It is seinen. It just happened to be serialized in a seinen maganize, so yeah... not much anyone can say to the contrary.
Jun 19, 2017 5:35 AM

Feb 2013
Seinen magazines (just like all the other demographic tags) come in many flavors. K-on was published in this magazine that specializes in that kind of cute-girls-four-panel manga: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga_Time_Kirara

While en.wikipedia calls it just "seinen manga", jp.wikipedia claims the audience is "10-30 year old males". Though it's entirely possible the magazine is officially designated as "seinen" somewhere, it seems to cover a wider/younger demographic than the dark and edgy seinen you might be thinking of.

And from what i heard from DateYutaka long time ago, magazines like this one use furigana (i.e. they spell out the kanji for you above them), which is characteristic for works aimed for a younger audience, while the seinen magazines with an older target demographic do not. Don't know how true this is but sounds good.
romagiaJun 19, 2017 6:06 AM
Jun 19, 2017 6:57 AM

Mar 2016
It may be a seinen. If it's serialized in seinen magazine then yes it is.There are other slice of life manga/anime I know which is also cute girls doing cute things classified as seinen..it's non non biyori by the way.Is your forum avatar from baby metal?
Forum set made by Sereshay

Jun 19, 2017 7:00 AM

Dec 2015
You see, this is why these genre tags are bullshit.
You could say it's a seinen, you could say it's a shoujo, you could say it's a shounen. But at the end of the day none of those genre tags are as descriptive as simply saying "it's a chinese cartoon about a bunch of moeblobs who play in a band"
Jun 19, 2017 7:04 AM

Sep 2012
Bobby2Hands said:
You see, this is why these genre tags are bullshit.
You could say it's a seinen, you could say it's a shoujo, you could say it's a shounen. But at the end of the day none of those genre tags are as descriptive as simply saying "it's a chinese cartoon about a bunch of moeblobs who play in a band"

We should create a genre like that. After that we just define most of shows with one tag.
Jun 19, 2017 8:56 AM

Apr 2015
Seinen at the end of the day is just a demographic; it really says nothing about the content contained in an anime/manga. Chi's Sweet Home is a seinen manga, while DEAD Tube (in which a girl is filmed having sex and then murdering the guy she's banging in the first chapter) is a shonen manga.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 19, 2017 8:58 AM

Feb 2010
Objectively sepaking, yes it is. Subjectively speaking, it still is because the definitions of words don't just change for your convenience :>
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 19, 2017 9:06 AM

Jul 2016
Not interested with the discussion, but nice pic there.
Jun 19, 2017 9:08 AM

Oct 2014
Of course it's seinen. After all, it's from Manga Time Kirara which is considered to be a seinen magazine. If you look at their other manga it's all cute stuff. There's a new anime coming out from that magazine called Comic Girls which is a cute yuri anime about young female mangaka. If we dismiss this whole genre of seinen manga that makes up a large portion of it then that would completely change the definition. Do romance manga also no count? What about mature slice of life like Bartender, Mushishi and Space Brothers? They're clearly for adults, but if we're not counting the cute feminine slice of life then what makes mature slice of life any different?

Seinen isn't a genre, it's a demographic. If most guys don't want to see gory action but would rather read about cute girls doing cute things that doesn't stop them from being men and therefore it doesn't stop the manga they read for being made for men. As long as men are the target the manga will be seinen regardless of content.
Jun 19, 2017 9:19 AM

Oct 2015
But why focus on the labels? What does K-On say to your heart??
[left] (◕‿◕✿)
Jun 19, 2017 9:35 AM

Nov 2014
People thought it was josei. It's actually shojo: Paradise Kiss

People thought it was seinen. It's actually shonen: Death Note, Aku no Hana, Franken Fran

People thought it was shojo. It was seinen: Chobits

Jun 19, 2017 9:45 AM

Feb 2016
Seinen is either "Whoah look at this deep shit/ thought provoking sol" or "GORE GORE GORE BLOOD FUCK YEAAAAHHH BLOOD EVERYWHERE HIDE YO KIDS"...

So yeah, it's pretty meaningless to assume demographic with genres. It's marketing and nothing more.
Mar 23, 2020 5:27 PM

Apr 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
Of course it's seinen. After all, it's from Manga Time Kirara which is considered to be a seinen magazine. If you look at their other manga it's all cute stuff. There's a new anime coming out from that magazine called Comic Girls which is a cute yuri anime about young female mangaka. If we dismiss this whole genre of seinen manga that makes up a large portion of it then that would completely change the definition. Do romance manga also no count? What about mature slice of life like Bartender, Mushishi and Space Brothers? They're clearly for adults, but if we're not counting the cute feminine slice of life then what makes mature slice of life any different?

Seinen isn't a genre, it's a demographic. If most guys don't want to see gory action but would rather read about cute girls doing cute things that doesn't stop them from being men and therefore it doesn't stop the manga they read for being made for men. As long as men are the target the manga will be seinen regardless of content.
zombie_pegasus said:

Hey fun fact, The Madoka Magica series is a seinen series in the same magazine as K-ON and Hidamari Sketch, and in Manga Time Kirara there are 6 kinds of magazines under Kirara, Manga Time Kirara, Kirara Carat, Kirara MAX, Kirara Miracle(got stopped and transferred to Manga Time Kirara), Kirara Forward, and Kirara Magica. K-on is serialized in both Kirara and Kirara Carat. Madoka Magica apparently serialized in Kirara Forward and Kirara Magica. other Kirara titles, in Kirara Miracle we got Sakura Trick and Urara Meirochou, and Kirara MAX we get Kinmoza, Comic Girls, Stella no Mahou, and Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka. all these anime are seinen too. The reason Madoka is Kirara because the original designer is also the creator of Hidamari Sketch, Ume Aoki. each and every character in Madoka is based of a character from Hidamari Sketch. and that is all I'm gonna say, bye.
Mar 23, 2020 6:35 PM

Apr 2019
Mei-o_Scarlett said:
these same people will claim shounen manga can never be mature or how shounen manga is all kid stuff anyways, cause muh superior peeps think maturity
Seinen is not the opposite of shounen, you completely forget josei and shoujo. Seinen can be mature, but many are just shounen plots with extra gore and nipples drawn onto the anime tiddies. Not the demographic tag makes something mature, the story and foremost the characters do. I'm a middle aged man, and I indeed think I'm "mature". If not me, who is? And I love to see an all adult cast in my anime, not teenagers dealing with adult problems using some ridiculous excuse plot.

Mar 23, 2020 7:40 PM

Dec 2018
natsugundamTam said:
Hey fun fact, The Madoka Magica series is a seinen series
I wouldn’t say it’s a seinen series. It was an anime original first, it only later got a manga adaptation. Seinen is an age demographic but anime are generally only considered seinen if they come from a seinen magazine. Since the source material is the anime I personally wouldn’t call it a seinen but hey, maybe it is.
Mar 26, 2020 2:48 AM

Oct 2010
Damn, Mio has like no hips at all compared to the others.
why argue about it I wonder, demographics don't really matter, look at manga Magi, it's shonen but we get lots of blood, open wounds, sex and decapitations
Mar 26, 2020 3:49 AM
Jul 2018
If it's published in a seinen magazine. Seinen is not only about gore and blood and manly men doing manly things.
Demographics are quite meaningless anyway. It doesn't tell you anything about the story and characters. It just creates prejudices before you can even watch that thing.
Mar 26, 2020 3:58 AM
Jun 2017
The only reason this question is even needed to be asked is from a misunderstanding of what a Seinen is. Seinen is a demographic, not a genre, so K-On being a Seinen is an objective truth when it's published in a Seinen magazine. You can debate whether or not it's most suitable to be published in a Seinen magazine based on the target audience, but the fact remains that it's a Seinen regardless.
Mar 26, 2020 6:47 AM
Sep 2016
I love to see an all adult cast in my anime, not teenagers dealing with adult problems using some ridiculous excuse plot.

Funny how you say that but gave the pretentious ecchi harem series with teenage characters that is Monogatari high ratings.
Mar 26, 2020 7:21 AM

Apr 2019
Halfdan1 said:
I love to see an all adult cast in my anime, not teenagers dealing with adult problems using some ridiculous excuse plot.
pretentious ecchi harem series with teenage characters that is Monogatari
You are free to think of any series anything you like, just dont try to sugggest that your opinion about it is better than anybody else's. Or allows you to "disqualify" people based on what is nothing but your own assessment of a work of art. Your stament could be paraphrased as "I hate Monogatari, you like Monogatari, so you have shit taste and nothing you say matters". Well, if that crumbles your cookie.

I wrote "teenagers dealing with adult problems using some ridiculous excuse plot.". Monogatari is about teenagers dealing with emotional baggage personified in apparitions. It's a show about psychological problems and mental issues. How is that an excuse plot? Actually the treatment of said psychology holds for both teenagers and adults, it's universal. My statement is only valid when both parts are true, and that's not the case in Monogatari.
inimMar 26, 2020 9:09 AM

Mar 27, 2020 10:07 AM
Mar 2020
Monochrosanity said:
natsugundamTam said:
Hey fun fact, The Madoka Magica series is a seinen series in the same magazine as K-ON and Hidamari Sketch, and in Manga Time Kirara there are 6 kinds of magazines under Kirara, Manga Time Kirara, Kirara Carat, Kirara MAX, Kirara Miracle(got stopped and transferred to Manga Time Kirara), Kirara Forward, and Kirara Magica. K-on is serialized in both Kirara and Kirara Carat. Madoka Magica apparently serialized in Kirara Forward and Kirara Magica. other Kirara titles, in Kirara Miracle we got Sakura Trick and Urara Meirochou, and Kirara MAX we get Kinmoza, Comic Girls, Stella no Mahou, and Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka. all these anime are seinen too. The reason Madoka is Kirara because the original designer is also the creator of Hidamari Sketch, Ume Aoki. each and every character in Madoka is based of a character from Hidamari Sketch. and that is all I'm gonna say, bye.
I wouldn’t say it’s a seinen series. It was an anime original first, it only later got a manga adaptation. Seinen is an age demographic but anime are generally only considered seinen if they come from a seinen magazine. Since the source material is the anime I personally wouldn’t call it a seinen but hey, maybe it is.

A manga adaptation of the series and various spin-off manga series have been published by Houbunsha and licensed in North America by Yen Press. A novelization by Nitroplus was released in August 2011, and a dedicated magazine titled Manga Time Kirara Magica was launched by Houbunsha in June 2012. Houbunsha Co., Ltd (株式会社 芳文社, KK Hōbunsha) is a Japanese publishing company founded on July 10, 1950. Houbunsha published the Manga Time Kirara magazines. Manga Time Kirara mags were behind Blend S, New Game!, Hidamari Sketch, Koisuru Asteroid, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, Kill Me Baby, Acchi Kocchi, K-On, Slow Start, Anne Happy, YuruCamp, Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka?, Kinmoza, etc.
Mar 27, 2020 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
It just goes to show ya that seinen is a broad term these days with a meaning further than a demographic dedicated to extreme violence like (The Sopranos and Daredevil) or strong sexuality (like Basic Instinct or 50 Shades of Grey).

Besides K-ON, there are a number of seinen manga that don't quite fit in with the R or TV-MA rating.
Mar 27, 2020 10:18 AM

Dec 2018
AntifaCuckeesian said:
Monochrosanity said:

A manga adaptation of the series and various spin-off manga series have been published by Houbunsha and licensed in North America by Yen Press. A novelization by Nitroplus was released in August 2011, and a dedicated magazine titled Manga Time Kirara Magica was launched by Houbunsha in June 2012. Houbunsha Co., Ltd (株式会社 芳文社, KK Hōbunsha) is a Japanese publishing company founded on July 10, 1950. Houbunsha published the Manga Time Kirara magazines. Manga Time Kirara mags were behind Blend S, New Game!, Hidamari Sketch, Koisuru Asteroid, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, Kill Me Baby, Acchi Kocchi, K-On, Slow Start, Anne Happy, YuruCamp, Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka?, Kinmoza, etc.
I know that. I was just saying Madoka was an anime original and only later was adapted into a manga. Whether you classify the anime as a seinen anime because it was later adapted and published in a seinen mag is up to you. I wouldn’t consider Madoka a seinen as it didn’t originate from a seinen mag but I would consider something like K-On a seinen because it did originate from a seinen mag. Call it what you want, it doesn’t really matter what someone elses opinion on this bar someone on the production team.
Mar 27, 2020 10:19 AM

Jan 2019
Target audience does not equal genre.

So is it targeting adult men? I would say no. Certainly appeals to them, but no.

I literally am watching this with my 10 year old brother and he absolutely loves it.

This show appeals to both sexes and all ages. High schoolers can get a lot out of it, as well as adults, and its completely appropriate for kids.

Simple rule of thumb: if it appeals intrinsically to boys/girls/men/womens fantasies, it would be a shounen/shoujo. If it does not serve that, but still targets that demographic, it would then be a seinen/josei.

I honestly would say k-on is a shoujo. But it's so hard to say.
"Whether you're sad, you're hurt, or empty, you have to keep playing."

Mar 27, 2020 10:29 AM
Mar 2020
Kata89 said:

The show is marketed to young adult men, is desiged to cater to that demographic, and it was published in a seinen magazine so no, it's not hard to say. It's seinen. Whether or not you believe it to be shoujo is irrelevant.

Seinen is in fact designed to target young adult men. Whether or not it appeals to other demographics across gender and age doesn't change the target demographic.
AntifaCuckeesianMar 27, 2020 10:41 AM
Mar 27, 2020 10:31 AM

Feb 2019
Yes because kids can't understand the deepness that k-on! has.
Mar 27, 2020 10:33 AM
Mar 2020
Monochrosanity said:
Whether you classify the anime as a seinen anime because it was later adapted and published in a seinen mag is up to you.
I get that. But even so, if you look on the Wikipedia pages of most anime adaptations for seinen manga, in the same info box where it says the manga is seinen, it lists the demographic for the anime as "male". So despite it being an anime original, I assume it's the same target demographic for that series.
AntifaCuckeesianMar 27, 2020 10:38 AM
Mar 27, 2020 10:42 AM

Dec 2018
AntifaCuckeesian said:
Monochrosanity said:
Whether you classify the anime as a seinen anime because it was later adapted and published in a seinen mag is up to you.
I get that. But even so, if you look on the Wikipedia pages of most anime adaptations for seinen manga, it lists the demographic for the anime as "male". So despite it being an anime original, I assume it's the same target demographic for that series.
As I said, I’m not saying everyone has to conform with what I say. All I am is stating my reasons why I believe it’s not a seinen, I could be wrong or I could be right. Who cares? Whether it’s a seinen or not has zero impact on anything.
Mar 27, 2020 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
Kata89 said:

So is it targeting adult men? I would say no. Certainly appeals to them, but no.

I literally am watching this with my 10 year old brother and he absolutely loves it.

This show appeals to both sexes and all ages. High schoolers can get a lot out of it, as well as adults, and its completely appropriate for kids.

Simple rule of thumb: if it appeals intrinsically to boys/girls/men/womens fantasies, it would be a shounen/shoujo. If it does not serve that, but still targets that demographic, it would then be a seinen/josei.

Bloody hell, can you guys stop? If it was published in a seinen magazine it's fucking seinen.

This doesn't require Corona vaccine levels of research. We don't need our top people on the case...
Mar 27, 2020 10:45 AM
Mar 2020
zombie_pegasus said:

I feel that this quote must be restated. K-On is a seinen for the same reason Blend S, New Game!, Hidamari Sketch, Koisuru Asteroid, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, Kill Me Baby, Acchi Kocchi, K-On, Slow Start, Anne Happy, YuruCamp, Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka?, Kinmoza, etc. are seinen. they were all published in seinen magazines like Manga Time Kirara
Mar 27, 2020 10:47 AM

Feb 2019
Kata89 said:
Seinen isn't a genre either. It is demographics. It also shows the target audience.

Something targeted towards young adults doesn't specifically have to be explicit. It can be family friendly as well. K-on! in particular is an 'iyashikei' anime. Look that term up and see what it's targeted audience is.

That's not how it is. Having a shounen/shoujo tag doesn't mean much. They are just targeted demographics. They are stereotyped in the west because of popular stuff like naruto and bleach in case of shonen or kimi ni todoke or maid sama in the case of shoujo but in reality that shounen/shoujo tag doesn't have much importance other than saying what kind of magazine it was serialized in or what it's targeted audience is.

Anything but that.
Mar 27, 2020 10:49 AM
Mar 2020
Monochrosanity said:
All I am is stating my reasons why I believe it’s not a seinen, I could be wrong or I could be right.
I just feel like you're cherry picking. Of all the anime listed in this thread, that's just about the single one you can point to and say "Hey this might not be seinen since it was an anime first".

I don't really care either way though.
Mar 27, 2020 10:52 AM

Dec 2018
AntifaCuckeesian said:
Monochrosanity said:
All I am is stating my reasons why I believe it’s not a seinen, I could be wrong or I could be right.
I just feel like you're cherry picking. Of all the anime listed in this thread, that's just about the single one you can point to and say "Hey this might not be seinen since it was an anime first".

I don't really care either way though.
I was cherry picking because I was replying to someone about Madoka. I’m not trying to say seinen doesn’t exist lol. Either way this convo is kinda exhausting, let’s leave it at that shall we.
Mar 27, 2020 10:58 AM
Mar 2020
Monochrosanity said:
I was cherry picking because I was replying to someone about Madoka. I’m not trying to say seinen doesn’t exist lol. Either way this convo is kinda exhausting, let’s leave it at that shall we.

Sure that's fair. I guess I shouldn't have replied to your comment anyway. It was moreso the people ITT who think K-On and the rest are not seinen that I wanted to engage anyhow.
Mar 27, 2020 11:06 AM
Mar 2020
Kurt_Irving said:
It just goes to show ya that seinen is a broad term these days with a meaning further than a demographic dedicated to extreme violence like (The Sopranos and Daredevil) or strong sexuality (like Basic Instinct or 50 Shades of Grey).

Besides K-ON, there are a number of seinen manga that don't quite fit in with the R or TV-MA rating.
Seinen is not about ratings like R or MA. Nor is it extreme violence or sexuality inherently...
Mar 30, 2020 4:48 PM

Mar 2020
Nope. To me K-ON is a doujin but everyone has their own preferences. Won't judge anyone for getting it wrong.
Mar 30, 2020 5:12 PM

Aug 2018
If someone says the contrary it's because it's a retard. It is a seinen, that doesn't matter much imo. What I care if it is good or it isn't.
Mar 31, 2020 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
It's seinen because it's aimed at basement dwelling grown men that want to sniff Azusa-chan's cunny.
AKA me.
Mar 31, 2020 2:39 AM

Feb 2015
The fact that that was their target demographic is inseinen.

I'm sorry.
Mar 31, 2020 2:44 AM
Mar 2020
its easy, if theres no male charas in sight, its 100% a seinen.
Apr 2, 2020 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
K-On and many other cgdct anime are indeed seinen as they are published in such magazines and that is the intended audience. It is pretty simple, only older people can truly appreciate calming series about everyday life. Kids want non-stop action or whatever.
Apr 7, 2020 10:40 AM

Apr 2018
Monochrosanity said:
natsugundamTam said:
I know seinen is demographic you don't need to tell me that. It's because Madoka Magica is in Manga Time Kirara and all Kirara Anime are seinen and marketed towards older men. and Madoka did come from Hidamari Sketch in terms of character development. Madoka Kaname and Yunocchi are the same people just in different animes.
Apr 7, 2020 10:45 AM

Apr 2018
Monochrosanity said:
natsugundamTam said:
Also Madoka Magica actually is a Doujinshi first, made by Ume Aoki and then an anime AND THEN a manga. and they originally set to make Kana Asumi as the voice actress for Madoka to match with Yuno's.
Apr 7, 2020 10:51 AM

Dec 2018
natsugundamTam said:
Monochrosanity said:
I know seinen is demographic you don't need to tell me that. It's because Madoka Magica is in Manga Time Kirara and all Kirara Anime are seinen and marketed towards older men. and Madoka did come from Hidamari Sketch in terms of character development. Madoka Kaname and Yunocchi are the same people just in different animes.
Look, all I was saying is that I would consider something as seinen if it was originally published in a seinen mag before anything else. That’s all. I’m not saying that’s the rule or anything, only that it’s what I personally consider seinen.
Apr 7, 2020 2:12 PM

Apr 2018
Monochrosanity said:
natsugundamTam said:
Look, all I was saying is that I would consider something as seinen if it was originally published in a seinen mag before anything else. That’s all. I’m not saying that’s the rule or anything, only that it’s what I personally consider seinen.
I judge whether it is seinen or not is base on what age the series is serialized for. And Also Madoka Magica Actually wasn't an anime first it was a Doujinshi first, it was drawn and written by Ume Aoki back in 2010 and its not even called madoka magica
Apr 7, 2020 2:22 PM

Apr 2018
speaking of manga time Kirara has anybody have the game Kirara Fantasia, a mobile app that features only kirara animes. I have it on my iPhone 11 And i got it from the Japanese app store alongside JP server of Magia Record.
KiraraFanApr 7, 2020 2:30 PM
Oct 26, 2020 7:12 PM

Apr 2018
This thread started in 2017, but people are still debating in 2020... wow. You'd think the answer is pretty obvious.
Oct 26, 2020 7:23 PM
Jul 2020
Yes, surprising so.... It was meant for youth to reproduce lol.
Dec 2, 2021 5:03 PM
Jul 2021
Kata89 said:

It's literally a seinen series, the target audience is adult males. The fact that people other than adult men like the show does not change the target audience
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

game8910 - Jun 4, 2009

233 by The_Neeko »»
Apr 1, 8:37 AM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 2, 2009

598 by piratini »»
Mar 16, 1:58 AM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DaBigD - Jun 25, 2009

344 by bubba460z »»
Mar 3, 3:22 PM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jun 18, 2009

314 by bubba460z »»
Mar 3, 2:59 PM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DaBigD - Jun 11, 2009

199 by bubba460z »»
Mar 3, 2:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.