Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 16, 2017 11:09 AM

Jun 2016
I found one thread for this that was made in 2011, and I figure that's outdated, so if anyone knows the order you should watch Gundam please post it here, because honestly it's kind of intimidating trying to get into it.
Jun 16, 2017 11:26 AM

Feb 2015
Production order is the right answer.
Start with the Gundam 0079, at least with the movies. Then watch Zeta and try to stomach ZZ and so on.
But if you don't like the old animation, you can start with 00. It's non-related to the original. You can watch non-UC related titles in whatever order you want.
Jun 16, 2017 11:33 AM

Feb 2010
Nothing changes about the 30 year old titles at this point so 2011 should still be valid.

You basically either have the option of watching Universal Century first, starting with the very first Gundam from '79, then Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Unicorn (and if you can still stomach Tomino after this, Victory). The OVA sidestories (War in the Pocket, IGLOO; 8th MS Team, Stardust Memories, Thunderbolt etc..) can be watched at whatever point you want as long as you are familiar with the overall chronology of the UC timeline.

Or you can just pick up whichever Alternate Universe Gundam seems appealing to you. They are all pretty much standalone and come in a variety of artstyles, decades and sub-genres. G Gundam, Wing, SEED, 00, After War, Turn A, IBO and so on. I've only really seen G Gundam, G-Reco and IBO myself from the AU TV Gundams and IBO was by far the best of them and one of the best Gundams in general so I would recommend that one personally. It's also very recent so there should be no animation or artstyle issues like with the original MSG for example (it looks pretty bland for the most part).
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 16, 2017 9:58 PM

Dec 2012
Depends which timeline you want to watch.

Universal Century Gundam (Main timeline): Start with Mobile Suit Gundam
Wing Timeline: Start with Gundam Wing
X Timeline: Watch Gundam X
G Gundam Timeline: Watch G Gundam
Turn A Timeline: Watch Turn A Gundam
SEED Timeline: Start with Gundam SEED
OO Timeline: Start with Gundam 00
IBO Timeline: Start with Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 31, 2017 5:58 PM
Jul 2017
I have, for the past few days, been trying to find a starting point for the Gundam series but can't seem to find anything comprehensive(to me at least) that gives a very easy to understand and straightforward list of what to start out with and what to watch after what as well as those i don't need to bother with. So i was hoping someone could help me out with this and please assume that i don't know anything about Gundam(because i don't)to make it easier for me to understand.
Jul 31, 2017 6:24 PM

Nov 2013
Start with the original and then watch Zeta. After that you can pretty much choose from whatever looks interesting to you.
Jul 31, 2017 6:35 PM
Jun 2015
Jul 31, 2017 7:35 PM

Dec 2012
First off, build a gundam,

Second, open the hatch,

Third, get in

Watch Eureka Seven
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 31, 2017 10:50 PM

Feb 2015
as a litmus test watch 0080 war in the pocket or 08th ms team if you dont like them then you more then likely wont like the rest of the series.
Aug 1, 2017 12:31 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Ahhh, I'm not on the computer with my Gundam stuff.;;

I was going to hit you with a bunch of the timelines I went with, but I feel like they can be confusing... also, there have been new works added since the one's I used were put up.
Instead, I'm just going to say start with the Universal Century timeline.
Taken from the Gundam Wiki because I'm too lazy-- like, yo I'm not even actually looking it over so sorry if there's a mistake:

-Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin (UC0068 - UC0077)
-Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO (January, UC0079)
**-Mobile Suit Gundam (September, UC0079)
-Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (October, UC0079)
-Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Miller's Report
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (December, UC0079)
-Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt (December, UC0079)
-Gundam the Ride: A Baoa Qu (December, UC0079)
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (UC0083)
-Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (UC0087)
-Gundam Neo Experience 0087: Green Divers (UC0087)
-Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (UC0088)
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (UC0093)
-Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (UC0096)
-Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 (UC0096)
-Mobile Suit Gundam Twilight Axis (UC0096)
-Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (UC0123)
-Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (UC0153)
-G-Saviour (UC0223)

**I would personally start with the original, which is the one I put two asterisks next to.
A few of these you might not be able to find, by the way. Don't worry about it.

After you finish Universal Century (U.C.), don't get too confused! The rest are pretty much standalone Gundam series. Heck, you could watch them first if you wanna (though I wouldn't recommend it).

To give you an idea, this is what I used to get through Gundam-- I edited things based on something else I can't quite find online at the moment though:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1315443

For some things, it might be good to look into certain things yourself. Almost everything says start with Origins, but remember that Origins wasn't even out when a lot of us started watching Gundam, so you won't be super confused if you watch the original Gundam first and save Origins for later. That's your call though.

If you'd really rather watch Origins first, maybe you can watch the trilogy movies of the original Gundam which pretty much condense the show into what they felt was important. After that, you can watch Origins and then MAYBE watch the actual original Gundam after. Zeta Gundam also has compilation movies. I do suggest watching the installments in their entirety eventually though.

Hope that kinda helps.;; If all that is too confusing, just click the link and follow that in order. Screw Thunderbolt and whatever the heck else anyway. Jk, I just haven't gotten to some of them or I haven't been able to find some of them myself. Gundam is a journey sometimes, so good luck.

Another thing I used, but not the thing I was talking about: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=307359#msg11102429
You can totally just follow that and not care about timelines-- just go down the list and you should understand everything-- but add the new series wherever.
You'll notice things aren't always in the same order. Like I said before, you're not going to get super confused if you watch... oh I dunno, Stardust Memory before War in the Pocket-- or even ZZ. You'll end up piecing it together if you even want to.
SwiggyAug 1, 2017 12:50 AM

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 1, 2017 12:44 AM

Apr 2012
i can't stand the animation in the first gundam series

is there no way around this lol

it has not aged well for me at allll

Aug 1, 2017 12:59 AM

Jan 2009
as a casual gundam fan i never seen the first series

i recommend just watching any alternative universe gundam like Gundam Seed, Gundam 00, Gundam AGE, Gundam Iron Blood Orphans or any other none universal timeline gundam shows

the only universal timeline gundam i have watched are Gundam Unicorn, Gundam F91 movie, Gundam Thunderbolt, Gundam The Origin and they all can viewed as a standalone series anyway
Aug 1, 2017 12:59 AM
Sep 2007
Watch everything in order of release.
Aug 1, 2017 1:46 AM

Jun 2014
Aug 1, 2017 1:53 AM

Jan 2016
If you can't stand the animation of the first series you can always read the manga Gundam The Origin. It's even better than the anime.
Aug 1, 2017 1:55 AM

Nov 2012
Start with Gundam 00. It doesn't require any prior knowledge of the other Gundam timelines or stories, it has high quality modern animation and storytelling, and mostly takes the best elements of Gundam and just tells a great story with it. After that if you gain an appreciation for Gundam's themes, start breaking into the original UC timeline.

The Gundam fanbase can be its own worst enemy. Not everyone is going to understand the appeal of UC Gundam right off the bat and throwing them into an ancient series with dated animation and storytelling is not the best way to get people interested in it.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Aug 1, 2017 5:48 PM
Jul 2017
Thank you all for replying. I think i pretty much know what to do now. I'll just start with the original movie trilogy and just go from there. I'm not really planning to watch all of them and i hear that might not even be possible since you can't find some of them, so i'll just watch the alternate standalone series i find interesting.

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 5 hours ago

8 by LenRea »»
25 seconds ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

30 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 25 minutes ago

7 by Spunkert »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

198 by Shizuna »»
8 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Apr 23

22 by shin0by »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.