Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 27, 2017 4:47 PM

Jun 2017
If you dont like the way they speak then just mute the sound and read subs the whole time... I speak both Japanese and Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese). and I don't find the accents that terrible in fact it seems like its suited for whats going on in this anime since its about guy who's been playing a game about 8 years trying to start from the beginning again. I can see if you get annoyed from Rongxing Bao (Steam bun), but that's because that's what his character is suppose to be like. Also people might forget that there's a big culture difference and social evolution from Chinese and Japanese.
Sep 28, 2017 8:38 AM

Jul 2008
lilsasa said:
When a friend of mine who's a Chinese heritage speaker but who's not too fluent in Chinese watched it, she found it weird at first because she's so used to Japanese coming from this type of art style (aka anime). Can't say I blame her though, it's very unexpected and strange. That doesn't necessarily make it bad

As someone who's speaks Chinese, I really enjoy the voice acting in King's Avatar, I find it to be pretty high in quality compared to some of the other Chinese animations (especially the ones that specifically are aimed at kids, they tend to more exaggerated, more emotive). To me, maybe it's because I understand the language, it's easy for me to hear the emotions and the acting in what they are saying. I can't speak from a non-Chinese speaker's perspective what the tones in Chinese sound like to them but I imagine it would be harder to hear the pitch differences marking emotions when one is not use to a tonal language.

Ye Xiu's VA really captured his laid back but very assured attitude. Ye Xiu speaks with a more northern accent (which, spoiler alert, he's actually from Beijing hence it makes sense his accent marks him as someone from the north, especially compared to everyone around him who's from Hangzhou, a southern city). Yu Wenzhou sounds a lot more refined as befitting his character and there are certain words he says that drops the rhoticization found in sh, zh, and ch, markings him from the southern regions (their team is based in Guangzhou I think? But his accent doesn't have much very Cantonese influences, just general south). Huang Shaotian's speech is also very interesting (though hard to place his accent, more a generalized southern accent? Bad accent?? With a lisp???) and I'm sure most everyone can hear his personality in the way he speaks. And Chen Guo, who has a more fiery in your face type of personality, speaks more emotively than both Ye Xiu and Tang Rou, her voicing is definitely more exaggerated and it shows.

Of course, these info are available to me because I speak the language, I understand it, I'm use to it. It's actually amazing how much information gets dropped from their voices along. This is something I never got watching Japanese anime bc, surprise surprise, I don't speak the language. But bc I'm use to watching Japanese anime, i have a much better grasp of the acting in Japanese.

So basically, all I'm saying is, it's something new and strange. It doesn't mean it's bad. To drop it bc of the language alone, then you've missed out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You said well. :D

For me, this is just a pretty uniqe experience. I mean, the chinese language. But Im used to it very fast and I liked it. Both japanese and chinese. I like other languages too, like russian (First Squad).
And don't say you want english dub plz. English is good and nice, but it's don't suit for anime at all. (Actually I always want to vomit when I hear some english dub sometimes. Really, it's the worst. -_-)
UmaitachiSep 28, 2017 8:45 AM
Sep 28, 2017 6:38 PM

Mar 2015
Yeh their mandarin is that of mainland China - I'm from Southeast Asia and our mandarin speakers sound nothing like them.

In fact this accent just reminds me of all those annoying tourists that make the headlines for the stupidest reasons so that is quite a turnoff for me.

And can we please stop calling their language "Chinese"? It's the mandarin dialect, the most common among many.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 14, 2017 8:50 PM
Jan 2015
I'm used to hearing their accent because as a Chinese player who plays PUBG on Asian Server, I know that the way they talk is rather natural sounding. You have to get used to the Chinese langauge.
Nov 13, 2017 10:21 PM
Nov 2017
Bruh why are you racists chinese and japanese are different cause chinese accent is kinda deep and sometimes annoying if you arent used to it but why create a thread about making yourselfs humiliated -_- just dont get it 😵😵😵
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

NettoAzure - Apr 6, 2017

225 by Rineczka »»
Jan 11, 12:47 PM

» Will The King's Avatar get an English dub?

awesomeblackman - Oct 30, 2018

8 by egosumjohn »»
Nov 3, 2023 7:48 AM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

bubbletea - Apr 28, 2017

82 by AshleyHawk1 »»
Dec 18, 2022 6:08 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Lambdaa- - Apr 7, 2017

163 by Nat_V »»
Oct 13, 2022 11:53 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

eplipswich - Jun 15, 2017

148 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 18, 2022 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.