Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2010 8:18 AM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I never expected Rei to actually die in the end :(
Apr 13, 2010 4:30 PM

Jul 2009
One of the best episodes of the show. Very emotional. Rei started off as a "Oh, this is probably the boring side-kick/rival character" and ended off as a very deep and complex person whom you actually felt for. The character development is this show is just mindblowing. Loving every single second of it.
Check out my eurobeat guide. Who knows, you might find yourself a new favourite genre!
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=738669
Oct 17, 2010 8:26 AM

Apr 2009
Like Shin? The hell? Rei never betrayed you you moron...
Apr 3, 2011 11:13 AM

Jan 2009
Seems like a waste of an episode to me. Only about 2 minutes of the episode total was worth watching. The rest was chocked full of boring flashbacks. Only thing that got accomplished was the death of Rei. Sure, that's a big deal, but, man, was it a waste of time.
Apr 12, 2012 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
Did they have to replay half the last episode? I think the other characters should've looked back on things, not Rei himself. Man, if I didn't have Rei's death spoiled for me, I'd probably be so let down right now.

... They still didn't need to give that little bit of hope by saying he broke Raoh's power and was reborn.
May 7, 2012 9:00 AM

Nov 2010
it was mostly flashback but the non flashback scenes were so damn good. fuck im going to miss Rei he was such a good character :(
Oct 2, 2012 3:39 AM

Sep 2012
Mostly a recap, but it made story-sense due to them being end-of-life flashbacks.
Hokuto_no_Fuzz said:
it was mostly flashback but the non flashback scenes were so damn good. fuck im going to miss Rei he was such a good character :(
Agreed. Rei's memory will forever live on.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Aug 7, 2013 8:58 PM
Apr 2008
Luckily I follow a filler guide and knew this was mostly a clip show. Even though I skipped through the flashbacks (as having started the series recently, the events are still very memorable to me), I recognized and admire the execution of the director wanting to show the thoughts of a redeemed man--a man with no regrets--on his deathbed.

I truly miss Rei already. Looking back to his introduction, I never would have imagined I would grow to like him, thinking he was just some mook who was going to die early, or die/disappear forever soon after his story of rescuing his sister was resolved. How wrong I was.
Jul 21, 2014 11:57 PM

Mar 2012
He was still alive? Oh, ok......well this is kinda awkward xD A little bit annoyed that his last episode was a recap episode (well mostly recap) especially since it showed parts that happened in the previous episode.

Looks like Rei's sacrifice was able to change Mamiya's fate from certain death. Just makes him even more of a badass. Now my only question is where the heck do all these villagers keep coming from? Was pretty sure Yuda's men killed them all off, plus there was that flood....
Nov 13, 2015 5:33 PM

Jul 2010
This felt dragged on foreeeeeever, by this point just die already so we can move on to the next arc which from the previews it looks like it.

Rei was alright as a character (and you can't hate on his voice actor "Oberstein") but his last arc was boring as shit with both the love story and Yura.
Apr 28, 2016 4:01 AM

Jul 2008
See ya Jason, bring on Tim Drake.
Jul 28, 2016 9:26 PM

Apr 2013
Nowadays major characters in shounen are plot armored as fuck. This is why I freaking love HnK!
Jan 2, 2017 5:33 PM
Dec 2014
Ken or Toki should had at least try to learn a technique to save Rei.
I'm so sad that Rei died.
Nov 11, 2017 7:17 AM

Nov 2014
Rei's death was part of a recap episode.

Are you fucking serious? how did anyone think that was a good idea.
Nov 29, 2017 7:26 AM

Mar 2010
I think it was a good idea actually. The episode was entirely adressed upon Rei and his death. Knowing that he is going to die it made sense that he was re-living the past in his thoughts. No story progression for the series but an honorable ending to this important and really good character.

Sayonara Rei.
Feb 18, 2018 9:20 AM

Nov 2016
Reis death hit one hard and the idea with the recap was actually a nice one,made this episode more powerful.

RIP

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 19, 2018 8:46 PM

Oct 2012
Shin shouldn't be in your heart with Rei since he's just asshole

Aw Rei, Rei at least did something not like Shin
Probably killing Yuda saved Mamiya from death
"Signature removed"
Sep 29, 2019 6:17 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So Rei is dead now...
That was a good recap of all moments with Rei, RIP.
The next part starts in the next episode.
Dec 24, 2019 11:22 AM

Jul 2015
Rei spending his last moments recapping what has happened so far, goodbye Rei

Good thing to know Mamiya won't face certain death because she doesn't see the death star thanks to Rei

Mar 16, 2020 11:55 PM

Jan 2011
Let's drag out this death with a recap. Fuck off.
Apr 6, 2020 10:51 AM
May 2018
ReaperCreeper said:
Let's drag out this death with a recap. Fuck off.

Seeing scenes from episodes I had just seen irked me.
Apr 6, 2020 1:54 PM

Mar 2017
As a big fan of Rei, I enjoyed the recaps/flashbacks.

RIP Rei, you will be missed.
Sep 29, 2020 6:09 PM

Sep 2010
Man this was hard to watch because I get what they were going for with the recap to make it look like he was remembering everything in his final moments, but in the end I was like really another recap no original material? Finally two its because I grew to love Rei so seeing him in pain really hurt my heart.

I'm glad Mamiya's fate was altered by Rei's love it would've sucked if she had died too she was too cool a girl.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 16, 2020 4:01 AM
Jul 2020
As a Christian, this episode particularly moved me watching Red go thru his last moments with the Blessed Mother Mary watching over him in that lonely room akin to Christ last moments on the cross. Very moved to see the writers give a humble nod in appreciation to the quiet hand of divine intercession aids us in the final moments. Also, a couple episodes back, Toki healing touch for Rei, and his brutal agony enduring it, was also a powerful allusion to Christ's agony in the Garden of Gethsemane from at least my opinion. Further, the revelation of the Death Star disappearing was pretty much an obvious act of Providence- a true miracle just like little Lin noted. Wonderful how well developed Rei's character arc was handled and I will truly miss him as he was- dare I say it- my favorite character on the show.
Sep 12, 2021 11:11 AM

Sep 2016
I get what they were going for, but my god was this bad. It hasn't even been 20 episodes since the last recap. They could've at least made Rei remember things we haven't seen about him, like his childhood, before Airi being kidnapped. Something we haven't SEEN already.

The scenes that aren't recap are good, but too few and not worth the 17 min recap... The recaps of this show are pretty bad and the main reason is that they're too frequent. We're seeing stuff from an episode ago ffs. Plus, recap episodes as flashbacks are the laziest form of recaps.
Mar 20, 2022 10:57 PM

Jan 2020
Tenth said:

Rei was alright as a character (and you can't hate on his voice actor "Oberstein") but his last arc was boring as shit with both the love story and Yura.

I thought that voice was familiar! Wow.
Aug 5, 2022 5:15 PM

Jan 2013
Honestly that’s the smartest use of a recap episode I’ve ever seen.

Rei was a good character.
Feb 13, 2023 1:37 PM
Aug 2018
that was embarrassing damn toei
Feb 28, 2023 2:32 PM
Sep 2017
The biggest problem for this arc is that no one buys the "love" relationship between Mamiya and Rei. There was no buildup to it whatsoever and none of the emotions here were earned. 
Also, the whole "Mamiya should stop beeing a fighter and live like a woman" made me roll my eyes throughout the entire arc. 

If you're watching older anime you should always be a little open-minded about the fact that you're watching something from decades ago and cultural norms have changed since then. But, man even for the time period it's a special kind of grating.
It has more to do with Buronson, who just cannot write female characters. That's true for bascially all the mangas i've seen from him and it's a shame. 

Does anyone really want Mamiya to act like a grown-up Lin? Not fighting, growing flowers and screaming "KEEEEENNNNNN" everytime. It would be horror......
Oct 16, 2023 11:03 AM
Jul 2023
I really appreciated the flashback. It was a good reminder of how creepy Rei was towards Mamiya. Rei could have been a way better character without all the SA of Mamiya at the beginning of the arc. His vengeance quest for his sister, support of Kenshiro's goals, and freeing Mamiya from Yuda was all great. I just don't understand why this is now the second anime from this era where ripping off a woman's shirt somehow worked and made her realize she should embrace her femininity. There are such better ways to handle it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hokuto no Ken Episode 25 Discussion

naikou - Feb 16, 2009

17 by CreamofDaCrop »»
Mar 25, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Hokuto no Ken Episode 31 Discussion

brucescrews - Feb 24, 2012

9 by 0451 »»
Mar 17, 4:43 AM

» Information on this production?

Teirayo - Mar 7

2 by Otakupervert890 »»
Mar 7, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Hokuto no Ken Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

8GaugeBrett - Nov 20, 2008

53 by mtsRhea »»
Feb 28, 3:13 PM

Poll: » Hokuto no Ken Episode 7 Discussion

brucescrews - Jan 22, 2012

17 by JapanPsychology »»
Feb 8, 9:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.