Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 8 Discussion

Dec 24, 2016 3:58 AM
I was looking at the date Episode 8 came out, and realized,
next year is the 10th anniversary of his death.

Dec 27, 2016 2:56 AM

Didnt expect a kiss between Yoko and Kamina.
I did expect however that Simon would not be pleased with it obviously ... but then again, simple punch to the face made him realize to not care about it.

And wtf ... Kamina actually died!? - That I definitely did not see coming, I honestly dont know where this anime will go now.
Unless there's some miraculous way that he gets back just like a lot of anime do.

Dec 27, 2016 3:05 PM

I was not prepared ;(

What a great episode, the best so far!

Dec 27, 2016 4:36 PM

Wow what a mood breaker after all the amazing and positive atmosphere so far. I would have never expected that Kamina would leave us so early. Nevertheless I'm super curious in which direction the anime will proceed from now on.

Jan 4, 2017 4:13 AM

This episode was really good. The viewer deludes themselves into thinking Kamina lives. We see someone similar at the start of the episode who aims for the moon and we see Kamina get up again to save the day.

Really good episode.
Modified by Rosny, Jan 8, 2017 6:09 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.

Jan 21, 2017 5:31 AM

I found the YokoXKamina moment to be beautiful but then I remembered Simon. Ouch. I know that feel ,_,

I got spoiled about Kamina's death a long time ago in the internet but, man. That was heartcrushing... I didn't like him much but those key moments when he punched snapped Simon out of his heartbreak and fought those Gunmen like it was nothing with a burning passion until the end was amazing. That Giga Drill Break had my jaw dropped in epicness as they pierced the heavens and put a hole into Kamui Byakou.

I guess they're gonna mourn in the next episode. "Who the hell do you think I am?!"- Kamina |Rest in Peace|

Jan 30, 2017 10:50 AM

fuck I'm heartbroken

Feb 24, 2017 4:18 PM
I just saw the episode on Netflix, and I can't belive I haven't seen such an amazing anime like this one, I really felt so sad for Kamina. I'm not forgetting this anime just for this. (I was about of rating this episode as a "Hated it" cause I was angry too)
http://prntscr.com/ed1job

Feb 25, 2017 3:19 AM

I got spoiled about his death long ago but didnt imagine it would be so early, my bet was somewhere around ep. 12-14 :(

I wonder how the show will keep up after this tho and if Simon plans some nasty things with Yoko now that hes got no rival in love :)

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 29, 2017 12:17 AM
Spiral Warrior

Kamina is my favorite character but him leaving is essential for the plot. Like Yoko said, Simon will never become a great man hiding in Kamina's shadow and never working on himself.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 1, 2017 9:52 AM

RiP Kamina, a bro who will always be remembered...

Apr 25, 2017 10:20 PM

RIP ...Kamina DD:

I hope I will be able to like Simon as much as Kamina later on (depends on how his character develops) >_>

delivery ✉

dp by Nate
fs by Bunnyama
layout by Kitix

Apr 29, 2017 1:32 AM

That kiss came out of nowhere, wasn't expecting it this early but it played a major role.

Poor Simon saw it and it affected him a bit.

Luckily Kanima has the punch in the face method to bring him back to his senses on more than one occasion.

Damn that was shocking, thank goodness Kamina didn't die and was able to get back into the battle.

That giant Dai Ganzen will be a great addition.

That last part where they combined and fought was pretty epic.

Oh Damn, Kamina might have died after all.

May 11, 2017 7:07 AM
Wow, I'm glad that I didn't look up much about this series before watching it.

I'm surprised that I was able to avoid getting spoiled on Kamina's death, even watching ten years after the show aired.

From the moment Kamina and Yoko kissed, I just knew it would mess up Simon.

May 21, 2017 11:10 AM
"Reject common sense to make the impossible possible." - Kamina

SPOILER : Don't read if you're not finished watching episode 8.

No!!!!!!!
I cried while punching my bed. Why god why? I like their ship too what a waste. I really cant accept it. I'm losing my interest in the show. I feel the same way when L died in death note. KAmina T_T

#daFEELS

May 24, 2017 10:24 AM

One of the saddest anime deaths ever. I was even spoiled for his death but it still managed to be so fucking impactful. Best episode so far.

May 25, 2017 8:48 PM
melhor episodio do anime (por enquanto)

Jun 20, 2017 5:55 PM

The romantic moment between Kamina and Yoko, tho. That was really cute.

Honestly, I cried a like bitch after this episode. Even though I knew about his death, I didn't expect it at all at this point. Got my hopes up when he was getting back on his feet, but they were crushed :(

RIP buddy, will never forget you.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Jun 21, 2017 1:39 PM

I knew what was coming but it still hit me hard..

This was pretty much the point where TTGL turned into an outstanding anime.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Oct 2, 2017 7:33 PM

Did not expected that he would die for real

Nov 5, 2017 10:04 AM

The episode where Kamina's greatness is multiplied tenfold.
p00p

Nov 11, 2017 6:49 PM
If i was capable of crying over fictional deaths, I would have died of dehydration watching this episode.

Dec 8, 2017 8:01 AM

Still the best depiction of death in a story.

<--me rn

We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same

Dec 13, 2017 3:38 PM

I marathoned seven episodes for this? I'm a fucking wreck at work now.

I need a break from the series, I'm not okay.

This is all Simon's story now. Time for him to grow

Dec 13, 2017 3:40 PM

It was great, had me tear up a lil too. I just wish Kamina didn't have to die is all but ah well...

Dec 19, 2017 3:35 AM

Even when you know it's coming, it still hits like a ton of bricks. When I first saw this, I didn't want to believe it. So soul shattering, manly tears were erupting like a volcano during that last combination attack.

Dec 30, 2017 12:57 PM
I cried my eyes out for the next two episodes when Kamina died. It hurt my heart deeply. A person with such a kind soul. A kind soul who wanted nothing more than to make others happy, to make others believe in themselves and lead them towards greatness and peace . His positive attitude was unrivaled and I still can’t believe he’s gone. We all loved Kamina. He was and is special to us. I wish he never had to die, but he’ll always hold a special place in our hearts.

Mar 20, 2018 11:24 AM

I so knew Kamina was gonna die but not so fast, not so fast T_T

Mar 24, 2018 1:08 AM

No way...
It's only episode 8 ;-;

Apr 14, 2018 6:25 AM

Didn't think this show would turn me into a crying mess!

May 1, 2018 12:38 AM

Wait what ...did Kamina actually die I cannot believe it... to think it will get this serious

Aug 28, 2018 2:24 PM

Finally, he was annoying. Maybe now the show will get better.
Senseless slaughter > Moe
Romance anime are cancer
Hail Satan

Nov 14, 2018 11:22 AM

Well...

I really didn't want to see a relationship between Yoko and Kamina but...

WHY, just why did he have to die?? That's not what I wanted at all ;'(

uwu

Jan 10, 4:38 PM

I really didnt expect him to die here.

I had the feeling that this is just one of these moments where a main character gets iniured but survives anyway. guess not this time. though the scene was incredible well made I still didn't cry, it just didnt feel real to me. Wonder how this is gonna impact my enjoyment as kamina was my favorite character.

Jan 16, 7:37 AM

Never forget Kamina died while being a man.

Feb 19, 8:22 AM
I was so surprised and exited when they kissed each other. And then he dies.. dafuq. ._.

At the beginning of the episode I was thinking "this show was rather cheerful until now, I don't think anyone will die".
Oh boy, and then they kill one of the main characters less than 1/3 into the show?
Holy moly!

And what will happen to the whole "Gurren Lagann" ? Will the "forehead" character pilot? Or maybe even Yoko?

Mar 20, 5:36 PM
i just watched that episode and all i can say is that since this is a shounem anime, and japan has phobia against manxwoman relationship in shounens, i kinda imagined that Kamina would die. This episode should be called the Kiss of Death.

Apr 17, 2:54 AM

Goodbye to the best character on the show. I'm unsure how they're going to fill this massive void that Kamina left, but we're getting a new character next time.

May 26, 8:30 AM

I knew he was going to die and I still got chills, now I am on episode 24 and he is still the best character in the series.
I like how the Anime community acts like a bunch of Commie hippies, "We the Anime community!"

It's just a bunch of different circlejerks who all hate each other and their own kind.

Jun 5, 8:20 PM

Best decision the writers could have made. Impressed.

Before that moment I was going to go on about how much I disliked how the show focused on and treated Kamina, and now I'll just have to see what direction they take it.
Modified by syncrogazer, Jun 5, 8:37 PM

Jun 22, 2:13 PM

As much as I like this anime, I still can't come to terms with Kamina's death...

Jul 12, 3:59 AM

Wow. So many emotions. Finally some romantic plot and the materialized feelings between the characters, spectacular action, and...sigh. This was so unexpected. I never would have thought that one of the main characters can die so early. We are only 8 episodes in, but how much happened!
I should also note that I absolutely love character designs in TTGL. All look unique and eye-pleasing, and I'm talking not about people, but mechas too - very inventive and interesting designs that enable various styles of fighting. I approve.

R.I.P. my man Kamina. You will never be forgotten.

Jul 21, 9:19 AM

For an anime of 27 episodes, I thought Kamina would last at least 13 episodes so his death in this episode took me right off the bat! I was not prepared for it! At least he died well in battle, gonna miss him.

Aug 15, 10:30 AM

oKAY HE LITErALLY CANNOT DIE IT'S ONLY THE 8TH EPISODE

Aug 17, 9:55 PM
Most legendary episode of anime ever?

Sep 6, 12:47 PM
It seems there isn’t many people thinking like me but I’m actually glad he died. Yes I said it. It’s not that I dislike him but I didn’t liked the interaction he had with the others characters making him quite annoying to me. Like all the Kamina X Yoko thing.

Sep 14, 5:27 AM

It was a heart touching episode.I was thinking Kamina is the Mc. But now Simon will be real mc.

Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]