Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 9, 2017 3:30 PM

Mar 2013
To keep it simple, how frequently do you stumble upon some airing drama anime series that you would evaluate as good or above? Have the more recent seasons featured more, less, or equal amount of such series overall?

I am interested because the way I see it, great anime with drama as the main genre used to be a frequent factor around the year of 2007 or so. But now, around 10 years later, while they still come around on every so, the vast majority of anime either don't feature drama at all, or the drama they have is really bad. And I don't quite like picking out only one series every three seasons or so; that's basically nothing.
Jun 9, 2017 4:07 PM

Feb 2013
Drama is unexpectedly my 2nd highest rated genre according to MALgraph so i'd say preeeeetty often

Granted, relatively few of those i've seen are from recent years so i'd say you're right about them being rarer, though i wouldn't say they're also bad, as my average rating for recent shows tagged drama isn't that low. Then again, i almost never look for this genre in particular, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Shouwa Rakugo is the most obvious notable one, and Death Parade, Kiznaiver and Anthem of the Heart are also some notable recent titles i've seen. There are also the currently ongoing Natsume and Uchouten Kazoku sequels which i have yet to start but have good faith in.
On the more obscure front, i really liked M3 Sono Kuroki Hagane and Aquarion Logos, but seeing how low rated they are i feel like i'm in the minority here with my love for these drama-oriented super robot series.

And well... if the current seasons fail to impress, the solution is to watch some older titles
Jun 9, 2017 4:12 PM

Sep 2014
Keeping it simple... I don't search for drama series at all but they're sometimes mixed in with another genre I was looking for.

A good drama show is, I'd say, one that'll make you sad/cry. As far as I remember from personal experience, there's Clannad and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. I don't wanna revisit my memories of these two because it's just sad... In a good way...?
Jun 9, 2017 4:28 PM

Mar 2016
For me, a good drama is a drama that makes you feel something while following characters as if you're part of their journey. Make you cry =/= good drama. As long as it manages to bring out some emotions (not just sadness, but also happiness, sympathy, joy, excitation, etc) in you and make me feel something then a drama has done its job well. Now that out of the way, it's not my fav genre cause my emotions are relatively easily moved while watching. But drama has been featured more like secondary genre (recently) maybe. It's there but doesn't define the whole show. It can be enjoyable yet tiresome. The rate at which someone gets attached to characters and their stories differs among us.
Jun 9, 2017 4:36 PM

Oct 2013
Im too lazy to remove all non dramas so feel free to just look through my list from that decade thread
Deknijff said:
My rankings
Jun 9, 2017 4:39 PM

Mar 2013
Just to be certain, I am asking about the time when you thought the best drama anime came out in general. Was that years ago, is that now, or was it and still is a constant quantity-wise.
Jun 9, 2017 5:06 PM

Dec 2013
To be clear, you're referring to those that are drama/melo-centric, correct? NANA, H&C, Shouwa Gen, Otona Joshi, Aoi Bungaku, Uta Koi, Hourou Musuko, Hana Yori Dango, and the like?
Jun 9, 2017 5:16 PM

Mar 2013
Gymkata said:
To be clear, you're referring to those that are drama/melo-centric, correct? NANA, H&C, Shouwa Gen, Otona Joshi, Aoi Bungaku, Uta Koi, Hourou Musuko, Hana Yori Dango, and the like?

The drama genre has a relatively wide coverage of intended goal; I mean all of them. Whichever works for you best. The ones which worked for you best and were referred to as drama, when were they mainly released and are they still being released at similar quantity per season?
Jun 9, 2017 5:29 PM

Dec 2013
Subpyro said:
Gymkata said:

The drama genre has a relatively wide coverage of intended goal; I mean all of them. Whichever works for you best. The ones which worked for you best and were referred to as drama, when were they mainly released and are they still being released at similar quantity per season?

In that case making any historical, quality comparisons is going to be really hard because the drama tag is used in everything from Cowboy Bebop to Winter Sonata - two shows that couldn't be more different...
Jun 9, 2017 5:35 PM

Jul 2014
Huh, I would think drama would be my highest rated, turns out to be the lowest... Guess rarely do I ever find a good airing one, or they're just a myth?
Jun 9, 2017 5:39 PM

Oct 2015
I lately had the idea to - for my own use - base "masterpiece" (or "favourite" - don't know yet) on whenever an anime does not only make me like or love itself so much, but when on top of that, it makes me like the whole medium anime more.

The idea came up while/ was provoked by watching Uchouten Kazoku, a recent drama-esque anime.
As long as there are new shows like that one being made at all, once in a while, I'm OK.

----------------

about frequence - have no idea, never will - my watching anime is slower than # of anime being published is.
BannoBunka_snorkJun 9, 2017 5:43 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jun 11, 2017 2:04 PM

Sep 2015
One or two a year, if drama is the main genre. I don't feel like it was any more frequent in the mind 2000's.
Jun 11, 2017 2:14 PM

Feb 2010
Idk I think drama is my favorite genre according to MALGraph.

Some recent and good shows with a significant amount of drama aspects include 3-gatsu, ACCA, Gundam IBO, Rakugo, Uchouten Kazoku, Yuri On Ice, Hibike, Fune wo Amu. And that's like the last 2 or 3 seasons. So yeah, I feel well supplied in terms of my favorite genre.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 11, 2017 2:21 PM

Nov 2015
I seldom to stay away from drama genre whenever possible, because it's really not my cup of tea.
So i guess my answer is Rarely
~Yume's Ass and Shihiro's Boobs are gifts from God for us foolish Mortals~

Jun 11, 2017 2:59 PM

Dec 2014
The last good Drama I saw was a Lie in April, but just like others mentioned, they are usually combined with other genres too... for example a Lie in April had some really hilarious comendy too.

The problem is that is wrong to mention the Drama genre, because thre isn't tuly such a thing. Anime in general combine them in different ways, therefore you can have Drama in Bakemonogatari and Pokemon.

I think what you tuly want to ask about is: How many good Seinen had you seen in the last years. That is a much correct affirmation. Is more likely to find the ''drama'' you are looking for in a Seinen than in a Shounen or in a Shoujo. And above all that there is Josei.

The answer to why there isn't so much now like it was in 2007 is a little more complex:
- One of the reasons is that in the last 10 years we got more studios, therefore more anime in each season. In fact back then there wasn't really that much drama, is just that there was less anime in general, so if in a 10 anime season we had 2 ''Drama's'' compared to 2 drama's in 30 anime, then you see where I am going.
- KyoAni got moe... Yeah. Between 2005- 2008, KyoAni made Kannon, Air Tv and Clannad, 3 of the most iconic Dramatic anime. Meanwhile they also worked on Full Metal Panic which was also quite serious at some times. After that they stuck with mostly moe.
- Some Sudios vanished, other changed direction just like KyoAni.
- Changing trends in anime. (most peoples prefer harem with no difficulty that the drama of a true love triangle).
- Changing strategies due to Japan's shitty economy where the anime industry barely survive.
- Less engaging Visual Novel like in the PS2 era.
- Less Shoujo and Josei adaptations.
- Less creativity from new authors.
- MyAnimeList suck at putting the right tags, because the anime are added in the database by the community.
- And some other reasons.
Jun 11, 2017 5:01 PM
Jun 2015
Maybe you are not looking hard enough because there are is about the same number of good drama's per year. Last year there was fune wo amu, march comes the lion and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.
Jun 12, 2017 6:38 AM

Mar 2017
Hard to find good drama these days, granted that older titles were much more prominent in telling good stories [Clannad, AnoHana, Angel Beats, etc.]

These days, dramas tend to run too short or just ran out of steam in the middle of the season. I'm not bashing the genre though, as this genre is my second favourite genre in anime, the first being romance.

I must say the recently good title of drama is Hibike! Euphonium first and second season.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Jun 12, 2017 7:53 AM

Apr 2015
The most recent drama I watched was Scum's Wish, and you all saw how polarizing that was.
Drama isn't a genre I actively pursue though, so don't come to me about it.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jun 12, 2017 8:31 AM

May 2015
Drama requires characters, slow pace, intimacy. Animation, as a medium, is more suited to exaggeration and everything overblown. The lack of drama anime may be just the result of the medium.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 12, 2017 9:46 AM

Jul 2015
the last Drama i enjoyed was Death Parade

i really love that genre ,but when it comes to romance i really hate it even if is well done
i prefer romance to be cute and funny
Jun 14, 2017 7:40 AM

May 2015
tragedydesu said:

i really love that genre ,but when it comes to romance i really hate it even if is well done

Why's that? Considering how big a role romance plays in people's lives, I think it should lead to quite dramatic stories.
Jun 14, 2017 7:54 AM

Nov 2016
There weren't much choices but the dramas I've seen recently were actually all very good and/or better. Kuzu no Honkai, 3-gatsu no Lion, Orange belong to them and I'm sure I will also like Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

2015 had also some great ones like Plastic Memories and Death Parade. But drama is one of my favorite genres and I tend to like most of them, so I don't know if my voice is worth much.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 14, 2017 9:01 AM

Jul 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
tragedydesu said:

Why's that? Considering how big a role romance plays in people's lives, I think it should lead to quite dramatic stories.

i hate when 2 people are too perfect for each other
and in the end they don't end up together because of some shitty reasons

in the case of school days and kuzo no honkai the sad ending was necessarily because all the characters are scums and don't deserve to be happy
(i wished if the ending of kuzo no honkai was more sad though)
Jun 14, 2017 9:37 AM

Aug 2008
Drama is my number 1 favorite genre according to MAL Graph.

Recent good one is Showa Rakugo.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jun 14, 2017 4:57 PM

Jan 2014
romagia said:
Drama is unexpectedly my 2nd highest rated genre according to MALgraph so i'd say preeeeetty often

Granted, relatively few of those i've seen are from recent years so i'd say you're right about them being rarer, though i wouldn't say they're also bad, as my average rating for recent shows tagged drama isn't that low. Then again, i almost never look for this genre in particular, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Shouwa Rakugo is the most obvious notable one, and Death Parade, Kiznaiver and Anthem of the Heart are also some notable recent titles i've seen. There are also the currently ongoing Natsume and Uchouten Kazoku sequels which i have yet to start but have good faith in.
On the more obscure front, i really liked M3 Sono Kuroki Hagane and Aquarion Logos, but seeing how low rated they are i feel like i'm in the minority here with my love for these drama-oriented super robot series.

And well... if the current seasons fail to impress, the solution is to watch some older titles
older titles are pretty much my main priority, all those new seasons can wait till theyre finished
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jun 14, 2017 5:05 PM
Dec 2015
Though Slice of Life is more common, we've had a few very notable drama's from the past few years. Rakugo Shinjuu, Hibike Euphonium, 3-Gatsu no Lion, Kuzu no Honkai, Nagi no Asukara, Haikyuu, Yuri on Ice, and Shigatsu just to name a few. I'd say that we've been getting a good amount of solid dramas withing the past 2-3 years.
Jun 14, 2017 6:19 PM

Oct 2014
My favorite drama anime was animr was released pretty recently sangatsu no lion so maybe i am too biased to comment but i found no difference
Jun 14, 2017 7:56 PM

Jan 2017
It's funny how according to MAL stats drama is among the top five of my list (even number one given the amount of time) and yet I can't really say I intentionally pick drama Anime.

I find the genre hard to define anyways. Personally, I consider drama the part of any Anime that makes you stop gazing and laughing and makes you start thinking and being puzzled instead.

I consider my favourite dramas Angel Beats, Chuunibyo and Madoka Magica.
Jun 14, 2017 8:12 PM
Aug 2016
The last good one I watched was sangatsu no lion, it pains me how underrated it is. It's such a gem because it isn't the typical drama that makes you cry because of a sad story but you actually relate to the characters and watch them grow so you get to experience so many feelings about the show
Jun 16, 2017 2:29 AM

May 2015
tragedydesu said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

i hate when 2 people are too perfect for each other
and in the end they don't end up together because of some shitty reasons

in the case of school days and kuzo no honkai the sad ending was necessarily because all the characters are scums and don't deserve to be happy
(i wished if the ending of kuzo no honkai was more sad though)

It sounds to me more like a problem in storytelling and writing, rather than the romance genre itself. I don't want to see perfect people fall in love either. They do it all the time and I can't relate to it.

More topics from this board

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - 7 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

» If you give an anime a 10 do you genuinely think It Is a masterpiece? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 9

53 by r3v3l3v3l »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

47 by Fluffygreygrass »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - Yesterday

42 by palm-tree »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

51 by bledsoe60 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.