Forum Settings
Forums
Jun 8, 2017 5:14 PM

Basically I just finished Invasion Arc for World Trigger and I wondering what made huge wars much more fun? I know it is usually dragged out in shounen anime since they have more episodes to play around with, but not every wars in shounen are memorable.

My topic of discussion here, are there other more type of warfare that I listed here and it a way to differentiate between good and bad "war or battle scene" in anime?

Example:
1. Huge capital ship vs huge capital ship
Regardless of small fighter (or mech). it is just fun to watch each of the ship commander give commands to shoot particular cannon, or to do evasive maneuver. This one is usually in space or on the sea. But there are also some example on land with big type mech and tanks. The slower movement of the said vehicle, the better it feels.
(Gundam, Space Battleship Yamato, Girl und Panzer, Ars Nova)

2. Superpower elite
Basically team of good guys versus bad guys, typically in shounen. Team will be split up and will against with own foe from other team. Basically it is usually fight of individual duel with some mix and match. Best if they are evenly matched and both sides trying to out-do each other in battle. For the wars aspect, usually we will how one side of team communicate with each to win the goals.
(Too many too list)

3. David vs Goliath
Quantity vs Quality... protagonist usually come from team with lesser power, they will work together to win fight against the giant. Usually came either in very early stage (to show how big / dangerous the giant is) and final stage (where usually the small one finally defeat the big giant). Best part of this type of battle is usually the small need to sacrifice a lot of resource just to win and just barely win in the end)

Additional note: I also wanted to complaint as well that there are alot of anime that did this kind of battle poorly. Basically "Team-yelling-randomly-attack-skill-on-big-boss-just-to-finally-kill-it-with-miracle" which couple of anime did for very last episode (usually on short 1 or 2 cour anime) and i need to coin a term for that.
(AoT, hmm run out of idea except for other anime with this battle as final arc)

4. Tactical Combat
Kinda blend of said above, but focus here is about commander giving command to their armies. Just like the capital ship battle, this is more focus on intelligence of the commander to minimize loss to defeat the enemy. Kinda like playing chess, but with different of armies (knight, mech, tank, etc). Usually people like the commander that used their limited army with smart and unorthodox tactic to win against bigger armies.
(Code Geass, Arslan Senki)

So my question here, it there any other type of wars / large scale battle that should be added here?
And is there other way to do the scene badly (other than rushing with various attacks thingy) or extremely good for specific type of battle?
Watching style atm:

1. Mindless Gaming + Anime streaming with dual monitor
2. Focused + Anime binged watching with speed up
3. Couch / Bed Anime watching with large TV
4. Relaxing in virtual cinema with VR.

Jun 8, 2017 5:28 PM

I dont know where to ascribe Madara vs The Shinobi Alliance from Naruto and Marineford from One Piece

You forgot the Battle Royale type btw, although rarely seen I wish it was used more often, first examples that come to mind are One Piece and Boku no Hero s2 which had smth like a team battle royale.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jun 8, 2017 5:35 PM

Don't forget about Food Wars (Shokugeki no Soma), Rail Wars!, or Vampire Wars.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"

Jun 8, 2017 6:13 PM

Huge wars are fun?

I personally think they're poor ways to tell a story as

A. They're very messy narrativewise
B. They limit character development
C. Tons of one time characters

The only "good" wars are the historical or military anime kind, but they tend to produce hax characters and turns soldiers into cannon fodder, so no.

Jun 8, 2017 6:42 PM

Brb said:
Huge wars are fun?

I personally think they're poor ways to tell a story as

A. They're very messy narrativewise
B. They limit character development
C. Tons of one time characters

The only "good" wars are the historical or military anime kind, but they tend to produce hax characters and turns soldiers into cannon fodder, so no.

Those 3 things up there reminds me of bleach lol omg....
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]