Forum Settings
Forums
Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 8, 2017 10:06 AM
Jan 2017
As a fan of the original Gunnm, I was extremely disapointed with Last Order. The art got from great to "meh" (especially the character designs), and it started to look like it was focussing too much on the world building (the setting being not interresting compared to the one in the original series) and neglecting characters. The Gally of the original series, that became my favorite manga/anime female character, became bland and boring in Last Order, and none of the other characters catch my interest. Philosophical themes (which used to be a strong point of the first series, with the characters), when there are some, are now pretty badly written imo, and the fights have no emotion, they seem to be all about explaining in several pages the science behind the attacks, which I find boring after a while.

Which is why I dropped Last Order after forcing myself to read the first 4 volumes. I find it really sad, because the original Gunnm was such a great manga. But now, two months after, I'm wondering if I should give it another chance. Does it get better? If all 19 volumes are as bad as the first four ones, then I will consider it to not be worth my time.

IrohenOct 25, 2017 8:50 AM
Jul 31, 2017 12:55 AM
Nov 2011
I don't know if it still interests you, but I've just finished reading it and it doesn't get better at all. Every fighting aspect (they are also just bad) is explained until the last volume and since the tournament there's no other theme except charters' introductions. Also Alisa's friend makes her appearance but they don't carry it further and carry on the money grab with the sequel.
Compared to the first one I wish I haven't read it and I won't touch any part of the series in the future.

Tldr: don't waste your time and stick with the original series.
Oct 4, 2017 10:22 AM

Jul 2015
Whats wrong with art?

IDK how was it focused too much and how can you estabilish different cultures otherwise? They are not only decorations, you know... And it contrasts previous setting. also, otherwise (without details) it would make no sense. It's a much larger and diverse world, it is A MUST.

Number of buzzwords is too damn high...

While fighting, characters ar fleshed out, there are high stakes and choreography.

You dropped it on chapter 24, right? well, it's a tournament so whats wrong with commentator commenting it? Also, each technique is being explained in one or two panels, which are not that big. It didn't break immersion of mine, also they NEED to be explained (Manga is all about science and fighting, isn't it? It would make no sense otherwise.) and they are as short as possible.
"explaining in several pages the science behind the attacks"
(could not find longer)

Versus

Yes, it definitely does get better, but not for you. Yeah, "Humanity", "Freedom", "Identity" and etc is explored. Like, Nova's box. There are some volumes with not-so futuristic world (ala previous one) and a basic but post-apocalyptic earth (ala lore of it). There are not so many battles in the third installment, tho. Your points are too vague, so I can't tell more.

yetiq said:
I don't know if it still interests you, but I've just finished reading it and it doesn't get better at all. Every fighting aspect (they are also just bad) is explained until the last volume and since the tournament there's no other theme except charters' introductions. Also Alisa's friend makes her appearance but they don't carry it further and carry on the money grab with the sequel.
Compared to the first one I wish I haven't read it and I won't touch any part of the series in the future.

Tldr: don't waste your time and stick with the original series.

"(they are also just bad)"
And why?

"there's no other theme except charters' introductions"
What does that even mean?

"Also Alisa's friend makes her appearance but they don't carry it further"
Except they did. Mars Chronicle is all about that. Author himself said that he wanted to put it in Last Order, but he didn't, because it would make it too big. So yeah, LAST ORDER focuses on LAST ORDER and MARS CHRONICLE focuses on... CHRONICLE OF MARS. It was in LO just for the foreshadowing and build-up. Otherwise it would come out-of-nowhere.

"carry on the money grab with the sequel."
Above I explained that and I don't even think that sequel is that popular.

Oct 6, 2017 4:43 AM
Jun 2014
It frustrates me how people say Last order is a poorly written manga when it is the opposite of that. Sure it has a tournament but that doesn't make it automatically bad, the execution for it is impressive and the tournament wasn't only focus as many things were happening, from a flashback, to little information of Mars being mention and it has a strong cast of villains.

I admit though I read the series in 2014 and I just can't get enough the series it's something I reread, so far 6 times and I wouldn't re reading it even more.

I dare say it's even better than Berserk in my personal opinion. Also the art is beautiful, it's better than most artist you see.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gunnm: Last Order Chapter 25 Discussion

Captainjeddy - Apr 3

1 by majin_mark505 »»
Apr 3, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Gunnm: Last Order Chapter 26 Discussion

Captainjeddy - Apr 3

0 by Captainjeddy »»
Apr 3, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Gunnm: Last Order Chapter 19 Discussion

Captainjeddy - Apr 3

0 by Captainjeddy »»
Apr 3, 7:30 AM

Poll: » Dai Machine (Gunnm: Last Order) Discussion

Rei_III - Jun 19, 2019

1 by Captainjeddy »»
Mar 17, 2:13 AM

Poll: » Gunnm: Last Order Chapter 15 Discussion

Waitripah - Jun 4, 2021

1 by Captainjeddy »»
Mar 15, 10:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.