Forum Settings
Forums

'Cowboy Bebop' Receives Live-Action TV Series

New
Jun 6, 2017 8:19 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Tomorrow Studios, a joint venture between producer Marty Adelstein and ITV Studios, has been announced to adapt the 1998 anime Cowboy Bebop into a live action TV series. Animation studio Sunrise, which produced the original series, will executive produce the live-action series along with Midnight Radio, which consists of Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec, Jeff Pinkner, and Scott Rosenberg. Other executive producers include Tomorrow Studio's Marty Adelstein, Becky Clements, and Matthew Weinberg. Christopher Yost (Thor: The Dark World) will compose the adaptation.

Cowboy Bebop is an original TV anime that aired for 26 episodes between 1998-1999. The anime inspired the Cowboy Bebop: Tengoku no Tobira movie, which premiered in September 2001. The series was originally licensed by Bandai Entertainment for North American distribution, before FUNimation relicensed it and released the anime in Blu-ray and DVD volume in December 2014. The TV series aired in the US via Adult Swim in 2001 with many reruns. The anime series became a commercial success in Japanese and international markets, particularly in the US, and is widely considered as one of the best anime series of all time.

Source: Deadline
NaruleachJun 6, 2017 11:58 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 6, 2017 8:27 PM

Jan 2008
I can't see this turning out well.
Jun 6, 2017 8:32 PM

Jan 2008
Paul said:
I can't see this turning out well.

Can we get one of those cursed productions? Everything goes wrong and they decide to cancel before release? Please?
Jun 6, 2017 8:41 PM

Jul 2016
Hmm, looks interesting
Jun 6, 2017 8:46 PM

Nov 2016
but who wants this?

death note, ghost in the shell and now this... i know they are running out of ideas but please stop messing with anime and stick to remaking 80's movies
Jun 6, 2017 8:51 PM

Jun 2014
I don't see a reason for this, but I'll stay optimistic and hope it turns out well. It'll probably suck though lol.....
thebrentinator24Jun 7, 2017 8:12 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 6, 2017 9:21 PM

Oct 2013
Trash! Into the bin it goes, thought bebop was alright at best. Doubt a tv series would be any better.

I'm more interested in the monster tv series, if that is still a thing.
Jun 6, 2017 9:29 PM

Jan 2010
No. Live action adaptations are completely unnecessary, I don't see this coming anywhere close to the quality of the original series.
Jun 6, 2017 9:33 PM

Aug 2016
Man, why? There are just some things you can't ever hope to recreate, especially all the various elements that caused Cowboy Bebop to be considered such a classic. You really can't name many series where almost every element meshed together so well; how do you expect to translate this? Perhaps there's hope with Sunrise having a hand in production, but it's not enough to raise my expectations to a satisfactory level.

If there were ever a live-action series I wanted to succeed, it would be this one. Please prove me wrong, please end up being the one series that'll serve as the model for all future adaptations. Don't dig up one of the industry's greatest works just for a quick buck.

On that note, I guess I'll see you again, space cowboy...
Jun 6, 2017 9:47 PM
May 2016
I fear not the fact that the series will be whitewashed (that is irrelevant). I fear that the series will be shit and people will think that the original source material is shit too (which it is not). There is a reason that the medium chosen was animation, not live action.
Jun 6, 2017 10:53 PM
Jul 2018
Meh. Can't really say much about this since I only watched like the first episode or perhaps few episodes since it has been nearly a year and a half since I first picked it up or something. Maybe 2 years. Thought it was nothing special to say the very least and could care less about this honestly.

But as for the Live Action I'm not too sure but from what I've seen I don't think it will be impossible to do it to be completely fair. All depends on how this is structured and to be completely honest I highly doubt I would watch this anyways. But good luck with that I suppose.
Jun 6, 2017 10:59 PM

Apr 2013
Lol holy shit, guess the movie deal fell through after years in development hell. But is Keanu Reeves still gonna be involved, or is this totally different?

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about this. On the one hand, the series is episodic enough that a TV show is possible (and I see this being a Netflix series, don't see this airing on non-cable channels), and would be handled a bit better than a movie. On the other, the costs in making these episodes will probably be its downfall for if it gets low ratings, it'll get canned before it hits its stride if they don't play their cards right. It's luckily still Western enough that it can get an audience out here, but I sadly don't see this getting past a season.

Maybe my parents will be more willing to watch Cowboy Bebop this way since they're not big fans of anime.
Jun 6, 2017 11:21 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Considering Bebop's content, this should be able to translate into a live-action series fairly easily. However, I'm sure they'll find a way to fuck it up XD
Jun 6, 2017 11:36 PM

Aug 2015
The Americans seem motivated at the moment. What's more, a live series.
Personally I think it will be very mediocre because difficult to adapt (series in space, so cheap effects in sight!). I will try two/three episodes but I don't expect anything.
Jun 6, 2017 11:37 PM

Nov 2011
Might watch it but seriously, I hope they can get the music right for this. Wonder how many episodes it will be as well....

I predict at least 10-12.
Jun 6, 2017 11:44 PM

Apr 2011
Hhmmm... well, a TV series might turn out better than a movie would, but I'm still super skeptical of this. And definitely NOT looking forward to all of the idiots who are gonna jump onto the bandwagon and start saying that this is better than the anime. (Which always frickin' happens.)
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Jun 6, 2017 11:48 PM

Jul 2013
Well, they did a remarkable job adapting the Ghost in Shell movie.
Jun 7, 2017 12:32 AM

Jul 2015
It's going to feel a lot like Firefly
Sup...
Jun 7, 2017 12:45 AM

Nov 2012
Just remembered Cowboy Bebop action movie. Hope at least now everything will turn out. I'm waiting.
Jun 7, 2017 12:54 AM

Jan 2016
Christopher Yost (Thor: The Dark World) will compose the adaptation.

Ok, i won't even try to watch the series.
Jun 7, 2017 1:07 AM

Sep 2014
I feel like this is the live action that could be done well, it's in more familiar territory for the west, but we'll see.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Jun 7, 2017 2:51 AM

Nov 2016
Great, a Live Action TV Series adaptation of a mediocre show, totally looking forward to that..

Jokes aside, at least the right title was chosen this time. Could turn out pretty good.

But one thing for sure, 3D Faye won't be nearly as hot as the original one.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 7, 2017 3:02 AM

Mar 2015
Wow after the idea for a live action movie featuring Keanu Reeves was totally lost and abandonded, I surely didn't expect these news. I think it's great, will definitely check it out when it comes around!
Jun 7, 2017 3:06 AM
Sep 2011
HBO were pretty much the only people who could do Cowboy Bebop and not end up as a total joke. I don't see the staff or the studio for this being able to pull it off.

Going to be another GITS.

No idea where people in this thread are getting their optimism from. American studio have a TERRIBLE track record in remaking foreign works.

keragamming said:
Trash! Into the bin it goes, thought bebop was alright at best. Doubt a tv series would be any better.

I'm more interested in the monster tv series, if that is still a thing.

"alright" at best? okay.

And no, I don't think it is. Another project that landed in development hell
pacifyJun 7, 2017 3:10 AM
Jun 7, 2017 3:07 AM
May 2017
I can see this working as a TV series plus it might be what the Sci-fi genre needs right now because it's looking pretty dull at the moment well in the TV aspect
Jun 7, 2017 3:12 AM
Sep 2011
tyrannicswine said:
I can see this working as a TV series plus it might be what the Sci-fi genre needs right now because it's looking pretty dull at the moment well in the TV aspect

Cowboy bebop isn't really Sci-fi, and its not not really what sci-fi needs to get more popular.

Its shows like The Expanse that are needed to bring back Sci-fi, its a great show that needed a more "hype-y" first season to increase viewers.
Jun 7, 2017 3:15 AM
May 2017
pacify said:
tyrannicswine said:

Cowboy bebop isn't really Sci-fi, and its not not really what sci-fi needs to get more popular.

Its shows like The Expanse that are needed to bring back Sci-fi, its a great show that needed a more "hype-y" first season to increase viewers.
Wait Cowboy Bebop has spaceships, space travel, other worlds, it's set in the future and is about Bounty Hunters how is Cowboy Bebop not really Sci-fi
Jun 7, 2017 3:30 AM

Jan 2013
Watch this be a mess, I'm sure
Jun 7, 2017 3:39 AM
Sep 2011
tyrannicswine said:
Wait Cowboy Bebop has spaceships, space travel, other worlds, it's set in the future and is about Bounty Hunters how is Cowboy Bebop not really Sci-fi

I meant that its so far removed from what a sci-fi show usually is, that its not really a genre defining piece.

When I think sci-fi, I don't instantly think Cowboy bebop. Its more of a mash of genres, a sci-fi version of a western, with slice of life aspects with a bit of action and drama.

Wonder if they would be able to use any of the original score, Cowboy bebop just wouldn't be coybow bebop without Yoko Kanno's score
Jun 7, 2017 3:52 AM
May 2017
pacify said:
tyrannicswine said:

I meant that its so far removed from what a sci-fi show usually is, that its not really a genre defining piece.

When I think sci-fi, I don't instantly think Cowboy bebop. Its more of a mash of genres, a sci-fi version of a western, with slice of life aspects with a bit of action and drama.

Wonder if they would be able to use any of the original score, Cowboy bebop just wouldn't be coybow bebop without Yoko Kanno's score
Alright now I understand
Jun 7, 2017 4:33 AM

Jan 2013
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Considering Bebop's content, this should be able to translate into a live-action series fairly easily. However, I'm sure they'll find a way to fuck it up XD
Exactly this. I don't trust the west with anything anime related, even the most western friendly anime ever made.
Jun 7, 2017 4:40 AM

Jun 2016
Please stop it now. Please. Nobody asked for this. Oh good lord. ;-;

P.S. PLACE YOUR BETS, PLACE YOUR BETS. Place your bets to see if the main character will be in fact a famous English white actor.
TheDoggoneGirlJun 7, 2017 4:55 AM

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 7, 2017 5:02 AM

Jul 2015
Well, I love Cowboy Bebop as if it was my wife. Even if it comes out to be absolute shit, I'd be happy and proud of it. Maybe it can be good! Being negative about it won't be helpful anyway. I hope they pick good actors.

Any chance Shinichiro Watanabe would be involved?
"I died long ago. This is just a bad dream"
Jun 7, 2017 5:12 AM

Apr 2014
I'm just hoping we don't turn it into Star Wars or something lol
Jun 7, 2017 5:44 AM

Mar 2015
i'll just grab my popcorn and watching reaction from side...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 7, 2017 7:53 AM

Jul 2015
tyrannicswine said:
pacify said:

You can say that about Firefly, but most people think of that as a western...even though it takes place in space...500 years later
Sup...
Jun 7, 2017 7:59 AM
May 2017
SenpaiJay98 said:
tyrannicswine said:
You can say that about Firefly, but most people think of that as a western...even though it takes place in space...500 years later
I haven't seen Firefly, but apparently this isn't that different to it
Jun 7, 2017 8:13 AM

Apr 2017
As by seeing that Cowboy Bebop (the alpha god of anime) is getting a live action redo or what ever, may piss everyone the fuck off.. and I see why. Even though it's being made by another studio, I would much rather an animation remaster, sequel or even a fucking prequel will get me spent. But a live action redo is interesting, and it might be good. I am kinda sad that its not an anime, so my favourite voice actor for spike (English) will not be coming back. But this may be refreshing for the series. It may be shit, and I will be sad as fuck. Buuut it might be good idk?
Jun 7, 2017 8:35 AM

Aug 2016
Is this something you guys are excited for?

Set by SenpieX
Jun 7, 2017 9:29 AM

Jan 2008
I'm sceptical but will probably give the first episode a try.
I hope you have a lovely day ♥ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )
Jun 7, 2017 10:04 AM

Jan 2014
..........................................................................................................................
Jun 7, 2017 10:10 AM

Jul 2008
"Hey fellow Hollywood people, remember a few months ago when we adapted that 90's anime cult-hit Ghost in the Shell and it was a bust? Well, have I got an idea for you..."

Jun 7, 2017 10:15 AM

Feb 2012
I'll see you on TV, space cowboy.
Jun 7, 2017 10:36 AM

Mar 2014
It's going to be great

Just you wait y'all
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 7, 2017 11:32 AM

Jul 2015
ALPHAxOMEGA said:
i love Cowboy Bebop
theres like a 99% chance they will ruin it.
for me most of the time live action is ruined by the actors they pick
It's usually the writers or directors, just imagine a anime(that's not "to much anime") with a director like Martin Scorsese, or a writer like Joss Whedon
Sup...
Jun 7, 2017 11:33 AM

Jul 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
It's going to feel a lot like Firefly, watch
Sup...
Jun 7, 2017 12:37 PM

Oct 2010
Oh thank ye Lord Satan, my nightmares have been answered. COMMENCE THE BASTARDIZATION!!!!111
Jun 7, 2017 1:47 PM
Aug 2015
All the success of the world for this production
Jun 7, 2017 2:16 PM

Jan 2017
Oh no...i mean, why!? W H Y ?!?!?!?
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jun 7, 2017 2:37 PM

Oct 2013
This is gonna suck ass balls to the max! Leave it the fuck alone!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

73 by Curlybrace101 »»
29 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Yesterday

4 by MichaelJackson »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
Yesterday, 9:22 AM

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Apr 18

4 by Memore »»
Apr 18, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Apr 18, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.