Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most overrated manga you have read?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 23, 2022 5:35 PM
Feb 2022
Naruto
Yeah, it's shit
Apr 24, 2022 10:40 AM
Jan 2020
Ran in the gray world
Jun 3, 2022 7:06 PM
man
Apr 2021
Daiko said:
There are tons of great manga that do not get the amount of attention they deserve. On the other hand, there are tons of manga that get more attention then they should. What are some overrated manga you have read and why do you think they are so popular?

March Comes in Like A Lion. I heard so many positive things and I’ve read very positive reviews but I quit after 50 chapters . After many many many dialogue heavy chapters about shogi I realized it just wasn’t for me.

Too much shogi and not enough of anything else for me.

There were glimpses of nice or emotional moments but too few and far between.
Deft192Jun 3, 2022 7:09 PM
Jun 3, 2022 8:55 PM

Nov 2020
Probably watashitachi no shiawase na jikan. Yumeka Sumomo/Sahara Mizu is my favorite mangaka (hell 4 of my top 10 are written by her), but watastachi no shiawase na jikan did not live up to the hype at all, although that isn't to say that it's a bad manga. Her other works are much, much better in comparison imo.
i use arch btw

Jun 7, 2022 5:43 AM

Jul 2009
Made in Abyss... I mean it's cave system is so dud... You can go down all you want, but the more you go down in the abyss cave, when you try to get back up in the cave, horrible things happen to you... why ? no one knows... mangaka wants so... HA HA so dud.
Jun 20, 2022 2:05 PM

Mar 2022
The one that immediately comes to mind is Maid-sama... I have a friend who absolutely loves the anime and is obsessed with Usui, so I got the first volume and was just...utterly underwhelmed? FL wasn't that interesting to me, Usui wasn't that great either, and I wasn't fond of the art or the plot.
I have a lot of manga that could fall under this question, so I'll be brief with my reasons:
-A Silent Voice (both main characters felt very flat, I didn't get attached to any characters, Shoko felt like her only traits were "deaf" and "mentally ill")
-Snow White with the Red Hair (The first bit was enjoyable, but around volume 8 it lost its appeal)
-Hinamatsuri (lots of people say that this is one of the funniest manga ever, but I read the first volume and didn't even smile)
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Jun 22, 2022 10:05 AM

Feb 2021
Based on sales, kimetsu no yaiba is the most overrated. But, because a lot of people talk about how the manga isn't that good, then I'd have to go with a series I thought wasn't that good despite everyone ranting about its brilliance: tokyo ghoul.
"I eat beans" - Oda

Jun 22, 2022 4:33 PM
Dec 2015
Banana Fish probably. After Shorter died the manga just became boring without much development.
Jun 24, 2022 5:35 AM

Sep 2020
Honestly i find CSM and OP to be the most overrated. CSM was fun to read but and i think it's good but i don't see how it's anything extraordinary. And OP... I've been trying to catch up but I've come across a very boring and overly long arc. The pacing wasn't just an issue in the anime apparently but also the manga. And i don't see much appeal in the characters.
Jun 24, 2022 6:24 AM

Sep 2021
chainsaw man i dont know what people saw in this manga it was... meh the only part i liked in the manga was when they showed those astronauts
Jun 28, 2022 2:44 AM

Mar 2021
vagabond, berserk, slam dunk

atleast for berserk i can see why people like it but i can't see the reason why vagabond is liked at all
slam dunk is rly fun to read but it's not that good
Jun 28, 2022 4:44 AM
Apr 2020
Reading Homunculus is one of my deepest regrets.

̄へ ̄

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 28, 2022 4:57 AM

Nov 2019
Honestly most of of Urasawas works were pretty over rated to me
F4v3 said:
Reading Homunculus is one of my deepest regrets.

̄へ ̄
Jun 28, 2022 5:01 AM

Jun 2020
EGOIST said:
Oyasumi PunPun, was expecting something more tbh ( only chapter 69 so far but I can say I disliked it ) I might reread it in one go maybe I'll like it then. I got really confused halfway through tbh a lot of characters look alike and the problems keep piling up without anything really being solved

Well, I can't really argue with the things you have pointed out. But I still want you to read the whole thing through as I feel you would understand what the story is about.

I can't say that you would enjoy the experience but you would definitely not be bored by the end of it.
Jun 28, 2022 5:09 AM

Oct 2015
Saludosdaamigoes said:
EGOIST said:
Oyasumi PunPun, was expecting something more tbh ( only chapter 69 so far but I can say I disliked it ) I might reread it in one go maybe I'll like it then. I got really confused halfway through tbh a lot of characters look alike and the problems keep piling up without anything really being solved

Well, I can't really argue with the things you have pointed out. But I still want you to read the whole thing through as I feel you would understand what the story is about.

I can't say that you would enjoy the experience but you would definitely not be bored by the end of it.
honestly, it's been years since the comment, I'll have you know I learned to appreciate it after rereading it at a perfect time in my life and is one of my favorite mangas of all time :)
Jun 28, 2022 5:16 AM

Jun 2020
EGOIST said:
Saludosdaamigoes said:

honestly, it's been years since the comment, I'll have you know I learned to appreciate it after rereading it at a perfect time in my life and is one of my favorite mangas of all time :)

Oh shit! I did not read the time at which you posted that comment. Guess I got too excited to comment. Glad to know that you liked it.
Jun 28, 2022 5:17 AM

Sep 2020
I wouldn't say the Fire Force manga is overrated but it was certainly boring to read that's for sure.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Oct 30, 2022 6:10 AM
Feb 2022
Fullmetal Alchemist , One Piece , One Punch Man , Kimetsu No Yaiba , COTE , Code Grass
Oct 31, 2022 5:58 PM

Sep 2020
Oh wow. Always a pleasure to see posts like these. CSM is the obvious pick for me.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Nov 2, 2022 5:07 AM
Apr 2022
Slime isekai, Mushuko Tensei, AoT, KnY, SpyxFamily, and Chainsaw man are hella overrated for me <3
Nov 2, 2022 9:03 AM

Aug 2021
Not really overrated, but I'm not sure why "Oshi no Ko" got such a high rating like that. Sure it's got a nice setting, a unique plot and I (quite) enjoy reading, but it's got many noticeable flaws, such as forced drama and poorly executed cast
Nov 2, 2022 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
Chainsaw man is definitely one of 'em and I liked Hunter Hunter anime but manga is HORRIBLE! I dunno why I gave it 6/10.
Nov 2, 2022 2:35 PM

Jul 2019
Not a manga, Solo Leveling, one of the few manga I had to drop.
Nov 2, 2022 9:39 PM

Sep 2022
one piece.... definitely one piece. i could barely pick it up i dont understand the appeal to it also basically any of the big ones that come from JUMP
.................................................................................................MURI!!.................................................................................................DAME!!
Dec 15, 2022 6:49 AM
Aug 2021
I won’t consider any manga I’ve ever read to be overrated
Aug 10, 2023 10:12 PM
May 2023
One piece, Aot, Dragonball, Bleach, Naruto, Tokyo Ghoul, Jujutsu kaisen, Demon slayer, My hero academia, Oshi no ko, Hell's paradise and so on...
Aug 14, 2023 6:15 PM

Mar 2022
-A Silent Voice: honestly the writing wasn't very good
-Ao Haru Ride: has a good start but goes downhill once the 2nd ML gets involved
-Hinamatsuri: supposedly one of the funniest manga, but none of it was funny IMO
-Horimiya: first 6 volumes are great, the rest is meh
-Komi Can't Communicate: I got bored after like 4 volumes of the same thing
-Ouran HS Host Club: read 2 chapters and thought it was pretty dumb
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Aug 24, 2023 8:15 PM

Jul 2013
I forgot to update Phantom Blood, but I can tell from those first five volumes that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is overrated.

I had no idea how exhausting the franchise was until I started reading those first five volumes.

Some old lady told me that her zoomer kids neglected Fullmetal Alchemist, their dad's manga, for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Her kids totally have short attention spans.

Those kids of hers must be too dimwitted to even read a manga with detailed plot like Suikoden III. Poor dimwitted kids of hers grew up to become such major dorks.

Those dorky zoomer siblings don't sound like the kind of people that are capable of reading TS Eliot or any advanced literature. They'll never be worth anything.
Aug 24, 2023 10:14 PM

Feb 2017
I sold my life for ten thousand yen per year. It seems like people eat up stuff if they have interesting premises even if the executation is so so. Couldn't get into it at all.
Aug 25, 2023 7:07 AM
Aug 2023
Tokyo Ghoul for sure
Aug 26, 2023 4:24 AM

Apr 2021
I wouldn't call any manga I read overrated, but there are many manga I had higher expectations or I thought I'll like them more.
Some of them are:

• Alice in Borderland (not biggest fan of battle royal)
  • I sold my life for ten thousand yen per year
  • The Summit of the Gods (not fan of way of storytelling)
  • The Boxer (it had some boring parts)
  • A Silent Voice (expected to love it more)
  • Boy's Abyss (People say it is new Punpun but it is just "deep" and MC is bland and other characters are just dumb)

RissioAug 26, 2023 9:22 AM
Aug 26, 2023 7:32 AM

Mar 2023
Im at chapter 600 of Kingdom and while it isn't horrible, It is kinda overrated.
e
Aug 27, 2023 5:28 AM

Jul 2009
Record of a Fallen Vampire (Vampire Juujikai) I wouldn't call it overrated though, it was more like terrible. lol Man... What a waste of time to read it...
DotanukiAug 27, 2023 7:55 AM
Aug 27, 2023 6:54 AM

Mar 2020
My vote goes to Helck. Sure it refreshing to have a regular fantasy manga in this day and age and its not like its bad but the fans make it out as one of the best mangas ever way overblow it. It suffers from a lot of problems such as bland cast, weak villains, unexplained nonsensical phenomena being the major core of the whole conflict and one of the best examples of deus ex machina ending I've seen in recent years! The author really dislikes an ending that is not happily ever after it seems
Aug 27, 2023 12:08 PM

Apr 2023
Vagabond and Lone Wolf and Club. Not bad, just not TOP 100 tier.
(only manga without anime adaptation)
Aug 31, 2023 12:42 PM

Dec 2021
One Piss and Solo Levelling are self explanatory

However, Vinland Saga and Kingdom has baffled me how far can Shounen fans who infiltrate Seinen community can go; Vinland Saga is just Naruto Seinen version while Kingdom just feels like a Shounen with one of the most toxic morally bankrupt themes of all time- WAR IS COOL. 

From the ones that are overhyped, Chainsaw Man would take the cake because it's just edgelords loving so called unique series again, meanwhile at least after the ending people realized how abysmally written Shingeki no Kyojin is. Then, we have One Punch Man and Promised Neverland which are just Mediocre at their best and frankly I enjoyed them despite of how bad they are.

I don't consider the following to be overrated-

Berserk- If you read properly you should be able to comprehend the great lore and worldbuilding of Berserk that curbstomps One Piss. Although side characters are poorly written and are overshadowed by Guts, that does not mean it's garbage because it is consistent with it's themes even after Golden Age Arc.

Steel Ball Run- I am one of the those few selective Higher Level Thinkers who understand how terribly written and overhyped JoJo is, every part is trash except Part 7. You need to first learn to appreciate character development and character depth to like this part. Liking too many stock characters such as Luffy and Joseph can ruin your experience with this part.

Vagabond- Best of the Three for me. Although I prefer Lone Wolf and Cub and Blade of the Immortal, I still loved the philosophy of this Manga.

Monster- I was surprised to see that the Anime's rating was lower, I guess Anime fans are just casuals but regardless of that I agree it is flawed and not perfect.

Slam Dunk- One of the Best Sports Manga to ever exist and it's written by the GOAT Inoue himself.

Oyasumi Punpun- Most people just hate the hyper nihilistic themes but I fiction is supposed to be mirror to real life.
HigherLvLThinkerAug 31, 2023 1:03 PM
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Aug 31, 2023 7:33 PM

Jan 2020
Someone might kill me for this. Claymore.

The ending was one of the most stupid excuses for making a story ever. Just telling and not showing anything.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Sep 1, 2023 4:59 AM

May 2012
Probably Berserk to name a well-known series. Due to its "progress" over the decades, genre-change from dark fantasy to fantasy including many questionable decisions + Gut's kindergarden entourage. -g-
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Sep 1, 2023 7:12 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to nhc9
My vote goes to Helck. Sure it refreshing to have a regular fantasy manga in this day and age and its not like its bad but the fans make it out as one of the best mangas ever way overblow it. It suffers from a lot of problems such as bland cast, weak villains, unexplained nonsensical phenomena being the major core of the whole conflict and one of the best examples of deus ex machina ending I've seen in recent years! The author really dislikes an ending that is not happily ever after it seems

I agree. I started reading it because I heard it was really good and really funny. I couldn't read it. It felt boring, uninteresting.
Yeah art improves later..
It gets better ....
No, I don't care about it.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
6 minutes ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
15 minutes ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - Yesterday

1 by codelyok13 »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1044 by codelyok13 »»
5 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.