Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jun 7, 2017 3:10 PM

Jul 2013
Maneki-Mew said:
SkyFullOfStars said:

hahahahahahahaha

honestly, we can go a step further and wonder if humans would exist 1000 years in the future and maybe an alien would see this post.

But will he able to read english or naah? :O

O_O that would be a problem! Maybe he'll research on YOI instead since it's a name? idk.
Jun 7, 2017 3:11 PM

Aug 2016
My opinion? I don't care about them and I don't watch them.
Why isn't there more Yaoi anime? Because the number of any genres's anime is directly proportional to the amount af audience. Aside from that, I think there are quite a few.
Also, are there any "bishonen relationships in normal anime"? Because all the gay realationships I've ever seen were in yaoi anime (yes, I consider Yuri on ice a yaoi).
Jun 7, 2017 3:14 PM

Jul 2013
Caciulacdlac said:
Why isn't there more Yaoi anime? Because the number of any genres's anime is directly proportional to the amount af audience. Aside from that, I think there are quite a few.
Also, are there any "bishonen relationships in normal anime"? Because all the gay realationships I've ever seen were in yaoi anime (yes, I consider Yuri on ice a yaoi).

No. 6, Shinsekai Yori, and Kyou Kara Maou are the only ones I can think of...
Jun 7, 2017 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
I can't tell if people are honestly trying to argue on this thread that Yuri On Ice doesn't have heavy homosexual subtext supporting a romance between Victor and Yuri, or if they're just trolling us all.....
Jun 7, 2017 3:49 PM

Feb 2010
SkyFullOfStars said:
Caciulacdlac said:

I wouldn't call SSY a 'relationship'. In the show it is explained that they are

It's been a while since I saw the show but yeah, the short homosexual making out scenes are just a plot device to flesh out the setting from what I remember. Which is why it annoyed me so much when people would drop it because the show 'suddenly turned yaoi'. These people obviously haven't paid any attention to the worldbuilding.

As for the general question, I believe anything with explicit (not head canon) homosexual relationships will get tagged with either shounen-ai or Yaoi depending if it has sex or not. You'll find gay characters in a lot of other shows too, but I don't think they ever get any relationship focus unless the show is tagged with either of those tags.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 7, 2017 3:54 PM

Feb 2010
Kyandesu said:
I can't tell if people are honestly trying to argue on this thread that Yuri On Ice doesn't have heavy homosexual subtext supporting a romance between Victor and Yuri, or if they're just trolling us all.....

I don't think anyone is denying that there is subtext that can be interpreted as a homosexual relationship without it being a big stretch (like say Haikyuu or Free). They are just debating whether it is up to interpretation at the end of the day or 100% without a doubt canon that makes you a homophobe in denial if you don't think it's 100% confirmed.
Jun 7, 2017 3:57 PM

Jul 2013
Pullman said:
SkyFullOfStars said:

It's been a while since I saw the show but yeah, the short homosexual making out scenes are just a plot device to flesh out the setting from what I remember. Which is why it annoyed me so much when people would drop it because the show 'suddenly turned yaoi'. These people obviously haven't paid any attention to the worldbuilding.

As for the general question, I believe anything with explicit (not head canon) homosexual relationships will get tagged with either shounen-ai or Yaoi depending if it has sex or not. You'll find gay characters in a lot of other shows too, but I don't think they ever get any relationship focus unless the show is tagged with either of those tags.

yeah i haven't actually watched shinsekai yori yet so idk
but i find it demeaning how in 'normal' not BL-focused shows, the gay guys are often depicted as wearing makeup or something, wearing a lot of pink, speaking in weird flirty voices, like this guy:
Jun 7, 2017 4:06 PM

Feb 2010
SkyFullOfStars said:
Pullman said:

yeah i haven't actually watched shinsekai yori yet so idk
but i find it demeaning how in 'normal' not BL-focused shows, the gay guys are often depicted as wearing makeup or something, wearing a lot of pink, speaking in weird flirty voices, like this guy:

Well those are 'okama' characters which is like a whole archetype and yeah it is problematic.

Only recently has the Japanese language begun to distinguish sex and gender. Additionally, no explicit connection had been made prior between gender and sexual preference. The Japanese adopted the English term gender (jendaa) to describe cultural concepts of feminine and masculine. Previously, sei was used to distinguish the binary biological sexes, female and male, as well as the concept of gender. Many terms describing gender presentation had vastly irregular meanings such as okama, whose definitions included: a gay male, a feminine-behaving male, or a crossdresser. Umbrella terms such as these had a negative sociological impact, generalizing various queer identities into a single concept. Similar to the experience of LGBTQIA persons in other countries, Japanese queers lacked the linguistic space to exist in.

So yeah the tendency to combine transvestites, feminine behaviour and gay males into this one concept of 'Okama' (and attaching the other 2 aspects to either of them whenever they appear) is based on japanese linguistics not being up to date with modern LGBT theories. That's why this archetype is so popular in anime and always depics similar kind of guys while there isn't really any other kind of homosexual characters except in more recent works. If it's a feminine guy, a gay guy or a transvestite, it'll more often than not just be depicted as an Okama who combines all three of these trades.

I don't think it's necessarily demeaning, it just shows a severe lack of an ability to make these distinctions. Which is why LGBT/Queer theory is needed. Japan is just way behind in these aspects.
Jun 7, 2017 4:09 PM

Apr 2009
Pullman said:
SkyFullOfStars said:

I think calling SSY "Yaoi" is really weird, it's a science-fiction first and foremost, it's like calling any anime with sex "hentai".

Jun 7, 2017 4:12 PM

Feb 2010
Jin_uzuki said:
Pullman said:

I do agree that calling SSY "Yaoi" is really weird, it's a science-fiction first and foremost, it's like calling any anime with sex "hentai".

Jun 27, 2017 1:48 PM
Aug 2016
I like all genres, and yaoi is one of my favorite, and I'm really sure that there are a lot of fujoshi and fudanshi out there that like this genre, so, there is an audience, so this genre should exist.
Jun 28, 2017 11:27 AM

Feb 2016
I like Shounen-Ai more than Yaoi. Shounen-Ai is more about the relationship betweem characters. Yaois even have sex. Well... most of the Shounen-Ai Animes are Yaoi too. I like them because I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't have anything against Shoujo-Ai or Yuri but I enjoy Shounen-Ai/Yaoi more. Maybe because I'm a girl and I'm not that much into girls relationships. But I like to watch Shoujo-Ai, if it's a good Anime.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jul 14, 2017 9:44 AM
Jul 2018
I looked at my statistics.
From the MAL-graph-site: Yaoi and Shounen-Ai are one of my least favorite genres with mean scores of 4.50 and 5.00. It's the opposite from my point of view (I love BL!?), but the statistic says otherwise, because all of them have a Shounen-Ai/Yaoi-tag. XD
My manga statistics (7.25 for Shounen-Ai and 6.33 for Yaoi) look way, way better than the anime mean score.

ANIME

MANGA

removed-userJul 14, 2017 1:30 PM
Jul 20, 2017 10:45 AM
Jul 2017
I used to be a huge fan of yaoi and everything I knew about it seemed perfect in my eyes, but as time progressed, I eventually discovered how imperfect the genre is.

The seme/uke trope has become pretty tiring to read. The seme is most often sadistic or possessive while the uke is so feminine that he could almost pass for a girl.

I still love looking at a hot depiction of a French kiss but I ALWAYS skip the smut because they seem to be drawn like some sort of confusing action packed roller coaster ride with speech bubbles filling up the pages with way too many no's and ah's.

Not all yaoi is like this though and there are some precious gems that portray actual healthy relationships. There is a reason why Hontou Yajuu is my only favorited manga on my profile. Even some fan-made doujins like the one made for the Kagehina ship (Haikyuu!!) have portrayed healthy and innocent relationships.

I am still a fujoshi and always will be. But I am not happy with how most gay couples in the yaoi genre are treated. We need more high-quality shounen ai please!

Jul 20, 2017 10:59 AM

Jan 2017
heterosexual relationships are the only normal relationshion ship type and should be always be the most popular
i kinda like Yuri not yaoi tho
but just because it is anime
in real life I am against both yuri and yaoi since they are not normal but oh well that is my opinion
Oct 6, 2017 2:00 AM

Dec 2016
kikyo1hinamora said:
heterosexual relationships are the only normal relationshion ship type and should be always be the most popular
i kinda like Yuri not yaoi tho
but just because it is anime
in real life I am against both yuri and yaoi since they are not normal but oh well that is my opinion

You like yuri and not yaoi bc like practically every straight male out there, the thought of two guys having sex grosses you out.
Bc if you're strictly homophobic, you'd be against both yuri AND yaoi. But you aren't. You're what I'd call a convenient homophobe. GirlxGirl action is cute/hot but GuyxGuy is despicable, amirite?
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 40 minutes ago

15 by TsutanaiFuun »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 8 hours ago

20 by tmoverbeck »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

34 by MasterTasuke »»
14 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.