Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Golgo 13: Queen Bee Episode 1 Discussion

Mar 18, 2017 11:43 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was a really a complicated movie to be honest.
Here is a brief review: it's about a father and a her daughter whom have been separated since she was 6 years the father is now the candidate for an American party and their main goal is being against drug, some how her daughter ended up in a drug organization and she is the 2 in the organization and Golgo's mission is to eliminate the daughter precisely Queen Bee.
Modified by Raizel, Apr 28, 2017 10:16 AM
Avoiding spoilers be like

Apr 26, 2017 7:04 AM

Thomas was the monster who manipulated Robert, too bad that we didn't see him dead.

Aug 4, 2017 6:43 PM
Ulquiorra said:
Thomas was the monster who manipulated Robert, too bad that we didn't see him dead.

There is a scene during the credits :)

As for the movie itself, I didn't enjoy it as much.
Modified by Worldbear, Aug 4, 2017 6:48 PM

Oct 10, 2018 3:35 AM

Worldbear said:
Ulquiorra said:

There is a scene during the credits :)

As for the movie itself, I didn't enjoy it as much.

I'd agree that this is the antithesis of what the usual appeal of what I'd get out of a Golgo 13 story. He's injury prone, unresistant to the random variables that lowers him down to an average Joe, and within the context of this story at least...CONTEMPLATING MONAGOMY!

That last part alone would be enough to be blasphemy. And yet I'm still engrossed by it. I love how out of character and sentimental he is this time around since Joanna Queen Bee Hardy is depicted throughout the OVA as the kind of person that could do that to Duke Togo. Sexually she's never fully subservient nor domineering. She's a militant leader that has a strict moral code, leading from the front and strict with her ideals as to not give in to corruption. She's deadly and intelligent both in equal measure and carries enough baggage to make even Duke friggin Togo want to support her.

The sound design is surreal and made the 50 minutes fly by. The background designs were so detailed and were as consistently awe striking as they were disposable as the pace only allows for the audience to shift their gaze occassionally which blows my mind considering they were all hand drawn.

The animation direction though is where my jaw dropped consistently upon rewatching it. Dezaki is a genius, frenetic surreal gunfights punctuated by a painted still of gore. Harsh lights that come out of nowhere to simultaneously establish the location and set the noir tone, combined with enough stylized ways of conveying a feeling in each scene visually that I end up feeling pissed that they didn't immediately hand this man a TV series as this was clearly right up his alley.

But as his final OVA, this is perfect anime work here. Golgo still is a cold cruel killer that follows his code. He gets his screen time being a force of nature. He's not so out of character as to feel unrecognizable but by god does the after credits scene feel earned by the end for making him a bit sentimental this time around.

Seriously 10/10
Modified by Somali_Strawhat, Oct 10, 2018 3:39 AM

Jan 4, 11:05 AM

golgo is such a douchebag. le carrying out a job till the end mindset is not only arbitrary but also selfish and moronic. i wanted him dead soo badly in this episode. he doesn't value human lives and only cares about his own self-righteous ego. what a nice message to take from this trashy movie finale. kills even his benefactors without a 2nd thought coz muh morals. maybe he should have put aside his pride and make an exception for once instead of killing indiscriminately.