Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2017 11:43 AM

May 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was a really a complicated movie to be honest.
Here is a brief review: it's about a father and a her daughter whom have been separated since she was 6 years the father is now the candidate for an American party and their main goal is being against drug, some how her daughter ended up in a drug organization and she is the 2 in the organization and Golgo's mission is to eliminate the daughter precisely Queen Bee.
RaizelApr 28, 2017 10:16 AM
Apr 26, 2017 7:04 AM

Feb 2013
Thomas was the monster who manipulated Robert, too bad that we didn't see him dead.
Aug 4, 2017 6:43 PM
Jul 2017
Ulquiorra said:
Thomas was the monster who manipulated Robert, too bad that we didn't see him dead.

There is a scene during the credits :)

As for the movie itself, I didn't enjoy it as much.
WorldbearAug 4, 2017 6:48 PM
Oct 10, 2018 3:35 AM

Aug 2016
Worldbear said:
Ulquiorra said:

There is a scene during the credits :)

As for the movie itself, I didn't enjoy it as much.

I'd agree that this is the antithesis of what the usual appeal of what I'd get out of a Golgo 13 story. He's injury prone, unresistant to the random variables that lowers him down to an average Joe, and within the context of this story at least...CONTEMPLATING MONAGOMY!

That last part alone would be enough to be blasphemy. And yet I'm still engrossed by it. I love how out of character and sentimental he is this time around since Joanna Queen Bee Hardy is depicted throughout the OVA as the kind of person that could do that to Duke Togo. Sexually she's never fully subservient nor domineering. She's a militant leader that has a strict moral code, leading from the front and strict with her ideals as to not give in to corruption. She's deadly and intelligent both in equal measure and carries enough baggage to make even Duke friggin Togo want to support her.

The sound design is surreal and made the 50 minutes fly by. The background designs were so detailed and were as consistently awe striking as they were disposable as the pace only allows for the audience to shift their gaze occassionally which blows my mind considering they were all hand drawn.

The animation direction though is where my jaw dropped consistently upon rewatching it. Dezaki is a genius, frenetic surreal gunfights punctuated by a painted still of gore. Harsh lights that come out of nowhere to simultaneously establish the location and set the noir tone, combined with enough stylized ways of conveying a feeling in each scene visually that I end up feeling pissed that they didn't immediately hand this man a TV series as this was clearly right up his alley.

But as his final OVA, this is perfect anime work here. Golgo still is a cold cruel killer that follows his code. He gets his screen time being a force of nature. He's not so out of character as to feel unrecognizable but by god does the after credits scene feel earned by the end for making him a bit sentimental this time around.

Seriously 10/10
Somali_StrawhatOct 10, 2018 3:39 AM
Jan 4, 2019 11:05 AM

Jan 2013
golgo is such a douchebag. le carrying out a job till the end mindset is not only arbitrary but also selfish and moronic. i wanted him dead soo badly in this episode. he doesn't value human lives and only cares about his own self-righteous ego. what a nice message to take from this trashy movie finale. kills even his benefactors without a 2nd thought coz muh morals. maybe he should have put aside his pride and make an exception for once instead of killing indiscriminately.
Aug 11, 2019 2:13 AM

Aug 2016
HibiChika said:
golgo is such a douchebag. le carrying out a job till the end mindset is not only arbitrary but also selfish and moronic. i wanted him dead soo badly in this episode. he doesn't value human lives and only cares about his own self-righteous ego. what a nice message to take from this trashy movie finale. kills even his benefactors without a 2nd thought coz muh morals. maybe he should have put aside his pride and make an exception for once instead of killing indiscriminately.

If Golgo 13 ever failed to finish a job to completion, he would cease to be Golgo 13.

I'm sure you're aware of the added title he has as The Professional. Already in this movie he strayed so wildly from his usual pattern, but eventually corrects course. I wonder, did you think this was going to have a happy ending or something?

Secondly, the fact that you use the word 'morals' in the same vicinity as this series is extremely laughable. Golgo 13 is a coward, and his cowardice is the ONLY reason why he has been able to stay alive for as long as he has. He does his homework, double checks all his equipment and scouts the scene of every meetup well in advance.

Forget looking over his shoulder, one of the running jokes is that he doesn't even allow people to stand behind him on the first place unless they want a dislocated jaw lmao.

Golgo 13's character reminds me a lot of Parker from the Westlake books. A career criminal with no past and an utterly cruel and calculating persona. These characters aren't defined by their moral code but rather their professional one. I remember reading an analysis of Parker that I think applies to Golgo 13 rather fittingly.
"In Parker's world there is no good or evil, but simply different styles of crime. There is no law, so Parker cannot be caught, but merely injured or delayed. The subversive implication is not that crime pays, but that all business is crime. Among the Homeric epithets that follow Parker from book to book is: 'He had to be a businessman of some kind."

Replace Parker for Golgo and the observation is still left intact. Dezaki and by extension Saito the director and creator of the series respectively always hammered the home the idea that the targets never die because Golgo 13 is good and the targets were evil, but rather that Golgo represents the ideal businessman and that anyone who tries to mess with him will inevitably fail. Queen Bee is a scathing indictment of the democratic process in America that conducts itself like a corporation, and the only reason why Robert and all his men die is because they lack the professionalism befitting their station. Implying, that democracy only works if every politician were exactly like Golgo.

The bar scene sums up the entire movie, while Hardy is screaming about the American Drram on tv, the bartender tells Duke that many people need drugs to get them through this dream. The fact that the man conducting the speech is a heroin addict is even more ironic. But when he asks Golgo if he's a democrat or republican, he responds that he's a bourbon man.

Cynical, sure. But aside from the 80s action movie cheese (which I enjoy tbh) Dezaki just hit this one right out of the park. While hyper dramatized, Queen Bee's story about political corruption only gets more poignant over time. And the dreamlike storyboarding and sound design only elevates this to be a masterpiece. The overall plot itself is probably a 6/10 at best, but is elevated by the presentation and execution.

But then again, this series isn't for everyone I imagine.
Somali_StrawhatAug 12, 2019 4:19 AM
Jun 24, 2020 3:18 AM

Mar 2011
For those who didn't know: Hardy's English voice (at least on my DVD Edition) comes - if I recall correctly - from none other than Dwight Schultz. Yes, that D. S. of A-Team & Star Trek fame (!?)
Feb 26, 2021 3:04 PM

Aug 2017
Despite coming 16 years after the movie, it looks a bit weaker. And sometimes it's just too dark. Though it's interesting to see Golgo 13 being hired by the major antagonists, basically.

"The plot is too simple" - that's right Duke!

Using Dezaki's triple loop on an officer just standing up was wacky rather than dramatic. Similar goes to Duke's ambush of the 3 soldiers - the slow motion was worse for the flow of the short battle. I have a few more complaints about action scenes but they're mostly nitpicking.

Robert's relationship with Thomas at times looked like more than friendship. Though I really giggled at the American presidential candidate speaking mostly in Japanese

Tomatos, cucumbers, cabbages... xD

Anyway, Queen Bee is quite a charismatic character. Nice setting.
Aug 25, 2021 4:37 PM
Dec 2017
a good action film despite its flaws.

Sep 26, 2023 3:40 AM

Nov 2010
Sonia lost her virginity at 11 years old? Very nice. Hehe

This is the first time I've seen Golgo fail to kill his target several times. He also made compromises not to kill Sonia right away. He's a bit nicer here compared to the TV series.
Jan 23, 6:35 AM
Des31

Oct 2020
Heavy plot armour again and I'm pretty sure he will kill a freaking 2 year's old baby if someone ordered him, how patriotic he is

More topics from this board

» Does anyone have the "ending" theme?

zeroj - May 13, 2010

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Aug 25, 2021 4:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.