Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2010 12:16 PM

Feb 2009
Emphatic 'no'.
Feb 24, 2010 12:41 PM

Oct 2007
Hell yeah it should have. I loved hobo Hei and Suou.
Feb 24, 2010 4:43 PM

Jul 2009
Considering it improved upon the original in nearly every conceivable way, absolutely.
Feb 24, 2010 5:26 PM

Jan 2009
I'm not quite sure.

My ambiguous reasons explain why I can't decide if this season should have existed or not!
canecgFeb 24, 2010 6:29 PM
IaMP with me.
Feb 26, 2010 4:03 AM

Jun 2009
Huge plot hole/unexplain plot in both season.

But I like the character development in this season a lot more.

Basically, Action = Season 1
Character = season 2.

so yes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 8, 2010 5:42 PM

Jan 2008
It wasn't perfect, but you know what? I really enjoyed watching this season. I was surprised actually because I thought I'd hate some tacked on sequel, but I really loved the whole thing. :D
Jun 22, 2010 4:14 PM

Aug 2008
I thought this season was way better than the first. I didn't like the 2 ep arcs they had in the first season and the first time I watched it I barely made it to the end(the 2nd time was better, but still didn't like the settup). With one continuous story in S02 I couldn't stop watching. I think the setting was a great change, I really loved how it went back to that classic green/black setting when they went back to Japan. I actually really liked Suou too. Overall, this season was a huge improvement and I can't wait for another season.
Jun 26, 2010 7:15 AM

Dec 2008
I kind of liked how it showed the more human, vulnerable side to Hei instead of his cold merc mood in season 1.

I'd like to think it set itself up good for something new in the future, but I don't even....
Sep 24, 2010 9:44 AM

Jun 2010
the second season tried to make hei the center of attention, develop his character and all that but....it somehow failed from my perspective
He suffered loss many times in his life (his sister, amber) and yet he never lost his resolve. this time around bam! he loses it. he had feelings in the first season too, it's just that they were more hinted to than thrown in your face through the means of alcohol abuse.
plus he had class, the whole s1 had class, something that Ryuusei no gemeni lacked entirely. *grumble*purple jacket*grumble*

if a second season was somehow needed it was to answer all the questions left at the end of the first. well so much for that, this time around it was maybe more confusing than last time. not that that in particular bothers me
Sep 28, 2010 10:28 PM

May 2010
I didn't feel that season 2 was needed as I felt season 1 wrapped up fairly well even without explaining how Hell's Gate appeared. I didn't think season 2 was that bad as it had a lot going for it, but the execution was rather poor and the ambiguous and vague ending left a lot to be desired.
Sep 29, 2010 10:58 PM

Sep 2008
Overall, Season 2 wasn't so bad. By itself it produced a huge plot gap that desperately needed to be filled (which later was in the DtB Gaiden), and the ending was extremely vague, with a bit (or a huge, depending on how you look at it) of a cliffhanger ending. But the bulk of the stuff in the middle was fairly good, provided a bit more character development than the first season, even if the action wasn't nearly as engaging as S1.

My opinion, if they release another season, OVA, or even a movie to provide a more concrete sense of closure, than that would be a perfect way to close the book on this series once and for all, but as it stands right now, the feeling of incompleteness just won't go away...
Oct 5, 2010 8:33 AM

Oct 2009
gmsephiroth said:
My opinion, if they release another season, OVA, or even a movie to provide a more concrete sense of closure, than that would be a perfect way to close the book on this series once and for all, but as it stands right now, the feeling of incompleteness just won't go away...

Yup, I share opinion with this guy.
Oct 8, 2010 8:18 PM

Apr 2008
This season was pretty weird in a lot of places like the plot and the questionable ending and wasn't what we expected from the series. However, most of the characters ended up being pretty likable, nice development on characters, and things did make sense when you apply it with the logic of the Darker than black world.

They would need to make another season or movie to really provide a sense of closure or just answer some of the major questions.
Feb 27, 2011 1:43 PM

Apr 2009
Of COURSE. As stupid as it was at times, it gave us Heibo LIVING THE DREAM. How can you top that? Not unless you have a drill, you can't.
Besides, you have to rememb- UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ
CenedessFeb 28, 2011 12:23 PM
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 20, 2011 2:20 AM

Apr 2010
I preferred s2 personally. S1 was a lot of just boring arcs that we all watched for electric batman status and not so much the actual plot. Of course, that changed towards the ending but watching like 20 episodes of basically action with small hints required to understand the rest of the series wasn't that great to me.

The story was just a highlight here. No gimmicks, just plot. I really, really enjoyed how Mao got his own story finally and the fact he didn't die out period. It was like a really long good arc, which is always wonderful.

The only thing I disliked about s2 was it left a much larger amount of vagueness. I don't fully understand it myself, but suou was put in like an alternate world? or something and hei got his powers back and ran off. Which is an awful ending obviously, but when a series revolved around a central idea of something that grants wishes, its somewhat expected.
Mar 20, 2011 6:59 AM

Aug 2010
Yeah, but it should been more like a Season 1, that was a lot better. Anyway it was a good season, but without many intresting action.
May 26, 2011 11:21 PM

Jun 2009
Well, this season wasn't that bad, but they shouldn't call it darker than black...
Season 1 was way more mature. In fact, season 2 was made to target most people, that's why, i was seriously disapointed.

OVA were better than the s2 itself (for me, at least).

So, should this season have existed ? Probably, most people enjoyed it, me too, but in the end, for the fans of the first season (like me) this was not even near from the first.
May 27, 2011 12:01 AM

Jan 2011
I had high expectations for season 2 and was disappointed. With such an interesting backstory in season 1 I was hoping/expecting they explore that!
May 30, 2011 8:11 AM

Nov 2010
They should have serialized the manga rather than make a separate arc of the story since the manga was earlier made than this season 2.
Jun 17, 2011 12:51 PM
Sep 2008
t0m6499 said:
They should have serialized the manga rather than make a separate arc of the story since the manga was earlier made than this season 2.

I actually thought this was going to happen and I hoped they'd make an animated version of Dtb: Jet Black Flower, even if it runs from between the first season and Gaiden. Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet. As for s2, I think its existence was okay just as long as it wasn't compared to the first season. The shift of main characters was a massive risk on Bones' part, but it made for a bearable enough season. If they do end up making something to finally close up dtb, they better put back Hei in the helm of things and put back that emphasis in a more mature mode of storytelling.
Jun 20, 2011 12:49 PM

Mar 2011
I preferred this season over the first one as well. It focused on a single storyline the entire way instead of small arcs (which I wasn't too fond of). Of course, if I didn't watch the OVA's prior to the series I might've thought differently of it, but eh

Also, +1 for hobo Hei being awesome :)
Jul 30, 2011 11:22 AM
Jan 2010
I don't know, but I feel that I wanted more Yin in this season but they hardly showed her.
;/
This season should have been just about Hei finding Yin and on the side showed the Suou and Izanagi's part in the story, rather then focusing on Suou. Not that I don't like Suou, but I like the plot better about Hei finding Yin.
I had really hoped that they would have shown some of the characters from the Gaiden OVA in the second season.
The ending for the first season made me satisfied compared to the second season ending. Considering how Darker than Black was very successful, they should have just gone and made the second season into 25 episodes rather than just 12, so we could have more focus on Hei's story and Suou's story and explained the Izanagi and Izanami story.
Aug 28, 2011 7:11 AM

Jun 2008
Wizard03 said:
Considering it improved upon the original in nearly every conceivable way, absolutely.

I agree with this. Hobo Hei and Suou where awesome. The reason people react like the OP did is simply because they have problem accepting anything different from what they are used to. Simply because the second season changed characters and had a different way of story telling than the way of the first it made people that hate change get annoyed.
Sep 15, 2011 4:03 AM

Sep 2011
A solid 'No' from me, because honestly 'Ryuusei no Gemini' didn't even feel like 'Darker Than Black' to me.

Normally, the changes in setting and method of story telling would have nothing to do with it, but if they're intending to butcher the characters retained from the first season - with little justifications - they ought to throw in something that solidly represented the original series.

As for why I felt the characters were 'butchered':

1. Hei's state of depression and alcoholism left me confused, and his obsession with Yin only added to this.

2. Yin - what can I say?

3. April died in an episode.

4. Misaki was probably the only character that truly felt 'right' in 'Ryuusei no Gemini'.

That being said, the transition from the end of season one to season two felt far too abrupt. The justifications for the changes just left me with more questions rather than answers. And despite the numerous unanswered questions in season one, the closure was far more satisfying than what the second season offered.
BaryeSep 15, 2011 4:07 AM
Jul 5, 2012 9:00 AM
Mar 2012
gmsephiroth said:
Overall, Season 2 wasn't so bad. By itself it produced a huge plot gap that desperately needed to be filled (which later was in the DtB Gaiden), and the ending was extremely vague, with a bit (or a huge, depending on how you look at it) of a cliffhanger ending.

Seems to be something often seen in Anime that I'm learning to leave with. I actually don't mind it so long as it's not stupid. Actually I like a vague ending that gets you thinking better than a forced ending that's conclusive.

Another thing I loved about Season 2 (Gemini) was the industrial soundtrack. it fit well with the darker tone of the series.
Jul 17, 2012 5:55 PM

Feb 2008
Darker than black had a lot of potential but they messed it all up. They are unable to make good endings it seems. Both season's endings were bad, the second's was utterly horrible. Not to mention all the plot gaps and irregularities. Disappointed.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amphetamine - Dec 24, 2009

672 by Erdgeist »»
Jan 9, 1:03 AM

Poll: » Status poll about Darker than BLACK Second Season Episode 12

KingSunWukong - Dec 15, 2023

2 by Ecarteo »»
Dec 16, 2023 7:25 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Oct 29, 2009

270 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 10, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Oct 22, 2009

315 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 9, 2023 9:29 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Oct 8, 2009

391 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.