Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2017 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, that little piece of technology this episode gave me a laugh.

We get more family drama and storytelling by Yaichirou. In regards to the overall episode, I think it's a nice setback of fresh air his week with the slower pacing. Family drama can get quite tense in this show.
May 28, 2017 8:22 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
OMFG YES IT'S HERE! FINALLY!

Kaisei x Yasaburou <3 She loves him truely but he isn't able to stay in his transformed form once he sees her. Wow, this is actually heartwarming, don't know why, no one else has that effect on him.

Even Yajirou confirms the red fur of fate AH SHIT!

Yasaburou doesn't want anything to change or anyone to go, he's still a kid who needs comfort deep inside.
May 28, 2017 8:25 AM

May 2015
God, this episode was amazing, couldn't ask for more.... Yasaburou and Kaisei's moment was just perfectly done and pretty much the highlight of the episode.

May 28, 2017 8:44 AM
May 2013
What a strong ending .... Now we know why Kaisei never shows herself to Yasaburo...
It was a great episode focusing on all members of the families...
Yajiro leaving is gonna be sad...
Things are getting more interesting...
May 28, 2017 9:00 AM

Nov 2016
Cuddos to the person who guessed right the reason why Kaisei never showed in front of Yasaburou (don't remember who it was).

Yasaburou is my fave but I'm glad Kaisei told him everything wrong with him.

Looks like Benten found some kind of crack in the Nidaime's armor.

I wanted more of Kinkaku and Ginkaku being jerks XD
May 28, 2017 9:08 AM

Sep 2015
Members might have misunderstood what this episode brings.

This episode doesn't tackle the possibility of Yasaburo x Kaisei, but actually wanted to tell you guys the reason why Kaisei can't show herself in front of Yasaburo, surrounding the engagement and their relationship is impossible FOR NOW(maybe they will hook up in the future or at the end of this series, who knows). The beginning of next episode you will know why, the reason for Yasaburo transformation undone is very simple lol.

*not implying any ship has sail or sunk, because there is only 2 volumes of novel total now. Just letting you know this episode has more meaning than you think.

valvravetruthMay 30, 2017 1:15 PM
May 28, 2017 9:26 AM

Dec 2013
Yasaburo seems to have been leaving Kaisei alone for various reasons, namely his loyalty to his elder brother and the fact that he has a vested interest in Benten. Kaisei's reasons were far more pure than his.

I wonder though, since even Yajiro has confirmed the so-called red fur of fate, does this mean that even he acknowledges Yasaburo and Kaisei's connection, since he is so willing to leave the town to find his own path, despite Yasaburo's insistence that he stay. I don't see any other reason why he would willingly give up on Kaisei otherwise (considering that she's not engaged to anyone at the moment, and that he should technically still have a chance).

More interesting is Benten's little feud with Nidaime. I originally pegged the continuation of the tanuki feud to be the highlight of this second season, but more and more it seems like the focus has been shifting towards Benten, Nidaime and the old illusionist with the dangerous gun...

Wonder what will happen next actually. I can totally see Yasaburo overcoming his handicap somehow now that he found out his problem with Kaisei... but I can also see this show ending with everything completely unresolved like last season as well...
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 28, 2017 10:55 AM

Jan 2008
valvravetruth said:
Members might have misunderstood what this episode brings.

This episode doesn't tackle the possibility of Yasaburo x Kaisei(he doesn't have any feelings for her), but actually wanted to tell you guys the reason why Kaisei can't show herself in front of Yasaburo(Kaisei is his weakness) surrounding the engagement and their further relationship is impossible.

That's right but that doesn't mean that Yasaburo/Kaisei won't ever happen. It's pretty obvious that Kaisei does like Yasaburo but since he's infatuated with Benten, he doesn't think of her in that way for now. It might be impossible for now but who knows what will happen eventually. Even Yajiro kind of acknowledged Yasaburo and Kaisei's connection.

I bet you're a Benten fan?
May 28, 2017 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
was there a reason Kaisei showed herself in tanuki form?

and why can't he marry her cause seeing her undoes his transformation? I mean, they are originally tanuki. And since he is ok seeing her transformed as other items then maybe he will be ok seeing her in human form.(one possible answer to my question above).

Regardless this episode confirms that kaisei x yasaburou is at least possible.
removed-userMay 28, 2017 11:19 AM
May 28, 2017 11:25 AM

Sep 2015
HatsumiShinogu said:

Oh, no. In part I have read the novel(not spoiling any further), and in part letting members know what this episode was trying to convey.
valvravetruthMay 28, 2017 2:19 PM
May 28, 2017 11:41 AM
Jul 2015
valvravetruth said:
HatsumiShinogu said:

Oh, no. In part I have read the LNs(not spoiling any further), and in part letting members know what this episode was trying to convey.

Why, sir, you have accidentally piqued my interests about the novel. Quick question: Is there a possibility for novel 3 based on novel 2? Also, how close do you think the anime is in conveying the novel, especially this ep (sorry for my bad English)
May 28, 2017 11:43 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
valvravetruth said:
Oh, no. In part I have read the LNs(not spoiling any further), and in part letting members know what this episode was trying to convey.

So are you implying that

I can count this as an implication spoiler since you read the novel.

EDIT: Okay, thanks for the clarification.
SmudyMay 28, 2017 2:31 PM
May 28, 2017 12:22 PM

Apr 2013
I need a clarification on something. We know that Yajiro likes Kaisei but in the episode 5 of season 1 Kaisei said:

At first I thought she meant that she liked him romantically but her relationship with Yajiro was never mentioned again, which led me to believe that I misunderstood it.

So I ask anyone that has more knowledge on the series: Is Kaisei in love with Yajiro or does she just like him as a person?
May 28, 2017 12:46 PM
Mar 2015
Poor Benten She has it bad for Nidame who is using her shamelessly. Yasboro must realize that his pursuit of Benten is hopeless after witnessing this display He should just stop fighting the red fur of fate
May 28, 2017 2:12 PM

Sep 2011
valvravetruth said:
HatsumiShinogu said:

There are no LN's. This is based off a novel. The first season was the first novel. This season is the second novel. There is a third novel to come. Novels are very different in structure to light novels.
May 28, 2017 2:14 PM

Sep 2015
scruffykiwi said:
There are no LN's. This is based off a novel. The first season was the first novel. This season is the second novel. There is a third novel to come. Novels are very different in structure to light novels.

Thank you for correcting me.
May 28, 2017 2:20 PM

Feb 2014
Yajiro has always been a very interesting character to me. Seeing him leaving Kyoto will be sad, but he's committed to his choice, which Yasaburo hasn't fully taken well.

I'm sure Yasaburo will be able to accept his choice and move on. His interaction, or for the most part, argument with Kaisei was amusing, but she did gather the courage to show herself in front of him for the first time in years, which undid his transformation. He doesn't have feelings for her, but this feels like the red fur of fate in the works admittedly.

Nidaime and Benten were having an interesting discussion earlier in the episode, in contrast to their last appearance together. This time, Benten ask him why he came back to Kyoto at all, in which he simply walks away without giving an answer to her. The preview for next week only fuels my curiosity between the two even more, so I hope this feud between them gets more screentime next episode. =)
May 28, 2017 2:38 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode, with so many emotional meetings.
I especially liked the ending.
May 28, 2017 3:07 PM
May 2017
valvravetruth said:
HatsumiShinogu said:

Oh, no. In part I have read the novel(not spoiling any further), and in part letting members know what this episode was trying to convey.

is it wrong that i want you to spoil the heck out of it for me? like dont get me wrong its an amazing show, but now that they did this i want to know more and i cant seem to find the novel anywhere... can you at least direct me to the novel?
May 28, 2017 3:22 PM

Sep 2015
21 episode for this and why WHY U DO DIS!?

Ya-Shiro said:
was there a reason Kaisei showed herself in tanuki form?

and why can't he marry her cause seeing her undoes his transformation? I mean, they are originally tanuki. And since he is ok seeing her transformed as other items then maybe he will be ok seeing her in human form.(one possible answer to my question above).

Regardless this episode confirms that kaisei x yasaburou is at least possible.

They live with lots of human and if they got caught they will be got eaten
if they forced to still marry like that 1 of them must leave the home
Into the Internet!
May 28, 2017 3:34 PM
Jan 2011
Damn - so furry loving is a must?
May 28, 2017 5:27 PM

Dec 2010
Fantastic episode but I'm confused about one thing -- why does seeing Kaisei undo his transformation? I get that it's his "weakness" but for the others, it meant what they were scared of. Why's Yasaburo scared of Kaisei?
May 28, 2017 8:38 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
This series is part of the reason I want to go to Kyoto when I go to Japan next year.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
May 28, 2017 10:07 PM

Nov 2013
Pknoctis said:
Fantastic episode but I'm confused about one thing -- why does seeing Kaisei undo his transformation? I get that it's his "weakness" but for the others, it meant what they were scared of. Why's Yasaburo scared of Kaisei?

It seems some individual Tanuki have unique phobia towards certain things. This cancels their transformation when the thing shows up in front of them : for the late Dad it's Benten, the Mom thunders, Gyokuran tofu trumpet.

So it's a pretty serious dilemma for a betrothed couple if 1 of them does this to the other.
May 28, 2017 10:31 PM
May 2017
I am going to be so sad when this anime ends. I can't possibly wait another 3 years for a season 3 (if there will even be one). Does anyone know when book 2 was released and how long it took for season 2 to come after the release of book 2?

So will Yasaburo overcome his weakness and end up with Kaisei? Or will he overcome the human tanuki barrier and end up with Benten? The former is probably more likely.

Also, does his family know about his weakness and lost of transformation when he sees Kaisei? I can't imagine why his brother and mother would ship them if they knew he couldn't keep his transformation since it would put him in danger.
leve1May 28, 2017 10:37 PM
May 28, 2017 10:56 PM

Nov 2013
leve1 said:
I am going to be so sad when this anime ends. I can't possibly wait another 3 years for a season 3 (if there will even be one). Does anyone know when book 2 was released and how long it took for season 2 to come after the release of book 2?

So will Yasaburo overcome his weakness and end up with Kaisei? Or will he overcome the human tanuki barrier and end up with Benten? The former is probably more likely.

Also, does his family know about his weakness and lost of transformation when he sees Kaisei? I can't imagine why his brother and mother would ship them if they knew he couldn't keep his transformation since it would put him in danger.

Because the episode title is Kaisei's Secret, the family probably didn't know.
May 29, 2017 12:41 AM
Feb 2017
I have a vague feeling that the way Yasaburou's transformation is undone when he looks at Kaisei is somewhat similar to how his father's transformation also came undone at the sight of Benten. So maybe his instinct is trying to tell him that she could be dangerous? It's just my take on the situation.
May 29, 2017 12:43 AM

Oct 2010
Excellent episode this week as well.

But honestly, this ep really highlights how mature Kaisei is compared to Yasaburo. Yes she has a foul mouth and the demeanor of a 12-year old on COD, but she's really carrying the things that counts. It's obvious she's infatuated with Yasaburo, yet she's forced herself not to appear in front of him, and kept this reason hidden for so long as to not be a nuisance. She's willing to make personal sacrifices for the person she likes. Yasaburo, on the other hand, probably likes/liked her too but goes about it in the same way as a typical 1st-grader: repeatedly hitting that girl with the dodge ball during recess.
HowTragicMay 29, 2017 12:56 AM
May 29, 2017 2:23 AM

Feb 2012
I'm so shipping Kaisei x Yasaburou! This season and some parts of last season made me slowly dislike benten. She's arrogant and power hungry. Why can't Yasaburou just go with the pure Kaisei?
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
May 29, 2017 2:51 AM

Oct 2008
That was a sweet well done talk to Yasaburo's fiancee Kaisei...
4/5.

May 29, 2017 6:44 AM

Sep 2015
Duals-Shock said:
Quick question: Is there a possibility for novel 3 based on novel 2?)

Yes the 3rd novel been annouced, but not sure when it will be release.

@Smudy @YasBuro
valvravetruthMay 29, 2017 6:53 AM
May 29, 2017 9:14 AM
Jul 2015
tropicaldaruma said:
Pknoctis said:

It seems some individual Tanuki have unique phobia towards certain things. This cancels their transformation when the thing shows up in front of them : for the late Dad it's Benten, the Mom thunders, Gyokuran tofu trumpet.

So it's a pretty serious dilemma for a betrothed couple if 1 of them does this to the other.

I wouldn't say it's a phobia though. I remember yajirou said something like he still can't maintain his transformation near his mom. It's easy to understand since he feels guilty towards his mom because of the incident with his dad so maybe an especially strong emotion is the issue ?
May 29, 2017 9:21 AM

Nov 2013
Duals-Shock said:
tropicaldaruma said:

I wouldn't say it's a phobia though. I remember yajirou said something like he still can't maintain his transformation nearing his mom. It's easy to understand since he feels guilty towards her so maybe especially strong emotions?

Hmm, maybe. 😊
That Yajiro is weird BTW, it's like his default form is a frog now! 😝
May 29, 2017 2:10 PM

Aug 2010
Kaisei's so adorable <3 Totally ship. Ayane Sakura makes her even cuter :3
May 29, 2017 3:02 PM

Jun 2015
Oh my... I remember that in episode 2, hypnotized yasaburou in bear form suddenly undone. That's because he unconsciously saw Kaisei.
May 29, 2017 7:15 PM

Nov 2013
Arekia said:
Oh my... I remember that in episode 2, hypnotized yasaburou in bear form suddenly undone. That's because he unconsciously saw Kaisei.

OMG you're right! I rewatched ep2 : the bear's eyes widened the split second it saw Kaisei running towards it in human form, then poof, back to Tanuki form!

😆

Mod Edit: Removed quote of edited post.
AlfyanMay 30, 2017 2:14 PM
May 29, 2017 9:16 PM

Feb 2008
Cute episode. I love everything about Kaisei and Gyakuran. Soun's death hit me more than it should have. The execution was pretty much spot on. Great job by the scriptwriter.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
May 30, 2017 11:12 AM

Sep 2015
This episode seemed more about moving pieces around than it did seriously advancing the plot. Still found it pretty compelling though. I can't believe Yajiro is leaving. That was unexpected and Yasaburo asking him not to go was pretty damn sad. Also when did Yashiro become a little scientist? Not that it wasn't funny, and his little goggles weren't cute. Keeping with changes in the brothers this episode, I find it interesting how Yaichiro has kind of calmed down since he got together with Gyokuran. His dejected face when Yasaburo went all "you're not my dad" on him, might have been the saddest part of the episode.

There was a little advancement in the Ebisugawa's plot. The oldest monk brother seems like such a nice guy I hope that's genuine and not an act. There was also some tension building between Benten and the Nidaime. Akadama is always so pathetic whenever his jealousy over Benten shows up. The big build up of the episode though was the ever tumultuous relationship between Yasaburo and Kaisei. These episode endings keep creeping up on me. And feeling slightly unsatisfactory. Though it does keep me eagerly coming back. I guess Kaisei's finally showing her feelings for Yasaburo. Curious where it's going to go with that. I also liked the set up of Yasaburo bragging nothing makes him lose his cool. And the big reveal of why Kaisei hasn't shown herself to Yasaburo in years.
May 30, 2017 11:13 AM

Jul 2011
Thanks for the spoilers @valvravetruth
I appreciate that you have read the novel and have the kindness to come and enlight people in this anime-only thread about things still to happen and things still to be clarified (besides, just next week as you have said). D:
May 30, 2017 11:43 AM

Nov 2013
-Ronin said:
Thanks for the spoilers @valvravetruth
I appreciate that you have read the novel and have the kindness to come and enlight people in this anime-only thread about things still to happen and things still to be clarified (besides, just next week as you have said). D:

Oh come onnnn.... 😊 She did cover every spoiler with the spoiler button....
May 30, 2017 2:16 PM

Nov 2016
MagicMan80 said:
This series is part of the reason I want to go to Kyoto when I go to Japan next year.

I lived in Kyoto for a year and that's one of the reasons why I love this anime XD

The places are so well drawn that I get nostalgic whenever they show a place I used to be in.
May 30, 2017 2:16 PM

Nov 2011
Aww man this episode was super cute and super dramatic at the end.

Yasaburo's mother being afraid of the Thunder was super adorable, when she jumped into his arms i was like "AWWWWW THATS KAWAII AS FUCK!"

Aww man Kaisei is cute, I thought for sure Yasaburo would see her human form but I guess not. Man that ending was emotional.

I guess we found out what Yasaburo's weakness truly is lol.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 30, 2017 6:34 PM

Jul 2015
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE THEM TOGETHER. And to think it took over one and a half seasons to find out why she hides from the guy, and it was so simple. This was a good episode.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jun 4, 2017 7:37 AM
Jan 2013
in that one scene where everyone is attending Suon's funeral, what does Yasaburo mean when he says, "Oh, so Mother doesn't understand."
i'm confused
Jun 4, 2017 10:55 PM

Nov 2013
nyansensei said:
in that one scene where everyone is attending Suon's funeral, what does Yasaburo mean when he says, "Oh, so Mother doesn't understand."
i'm confused

I think maybe he meant his mother didn't know that Soun had always been in love with her, and made arrangements on his own to marry into Ebisugawa so he could leave behind and forget her. Just like what Brother Frog is doing by leaving town to forget Kaisei.
Jun 5, 2017 5:49 AM
Jan 2013
ah
tropicaldaruma said:
nyansensei said:
i'm confused

I think maybe he meant his mother didn't know that Soun had always been in love with her, and made arrangements on his own to marry into Ebisugawa so he could leave behind and forget her. Just like what Brother Frog is doing by leaving town to forget Kaisei.

ah.., thank you!
Jun 5, 2017 8:51 PM

Oct 2012
Is that you Heihachi?
Oh wait he don't have that many muscles :P

"Baybi" xD

Ah... It's love!
Especially if you can talk bad in front of him/her, calling him/her foul-mouth, "Who's going to marry you anyway?"
No no no.. You don't understand! It's possible! xD
"Signature removed"
Jun 9, 2017 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
Certainly the atmosphere that breathes and what happens in this episodio sighs heavily among them. Even Benten, unlike the usual, does not have a mocking look and his way of speaking is not irreverent, which has any problem? Who knows! Almost, I thought Kaisei would never have appeared during the episode, but I was wrong, what a luck! The places portrayed in this series are always so beautiful. That cute, is Yasaburo's mother. <3
Jul 11, 2017 4:47 PM

Oct 2012
Really hate those parts with Nidaime, he doesn't really work as antagonist and his scenes simply feels like boring blabbering (even with Benten involved... also, did she actually jumped off the cliff while many people were watching? she is good, I get it, but wtf..)

The second part dealing with Kaisei was good though, so even he has its own very weakness. I wonder if that means they will end with each other in the end as now it's obvious they are bound by read fur of fate. I get his infatuation by Benten but she is whole different league for him, that's obvious.

I wonder, if they can't see each other, will they still turn back to their tanuki form? Could be way to approach that problem. Or... just work together to overcome it.
Aug 3, 2017 9:47 PM

Aug 2012
-i see that even at their father's funeral kinkaku and ginkaku are still being bakas
-oh hey yajiro got his transformations undercontrol again kinda
-kureichiro's actually pretty decent, especially making kinginkaku wear those signs
-o fuck yea now it's a party
-benten is so goddamn boring
-yashiro makin moonshine like no big deal
-huh i don't remember the first season being... not enjoyable to this extent with the scene between yaichiro and yasaburo
-the scene between yasaburo and yajiro was more characteristic of what i remember
-for an episode titled after kaisei, she sure took her sweet time showing up
-whenever kaisei appears and bickers with yasaburo she always manages to add a certain charm to the episode
-now that little scene between yasaburo and kaisei at the end was legitimately enjoyable and actually characteristic of what i enjoyed about the first season

So, it seemed to me that the dialogue in this episode was decidedly substandard for the show, aside from the Shimogamo family gathering at the beginning and the campfire scene at the end. It certainly doesn't help that Benten's a walking sack of boring that absolutely drains any enjoyment from literally any scene she appears in. Soun's death also somehow caused Kinkaku and Ginkaku to become not their usual selves, and I seriously hope that little stint was for this episode only because they're one of the only saving graces of the show. Kaisei miraculously seems to still be functioning at the level of her season 1 self, which is really fortunate for me because she was easily my favorite season 1 character. Unfortunately her presence wasn't enough to carry this episode above anything but "below average".
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why this show is still overrated?

Misanthropian - Apr 25, 2017

45 by blinddig »»
Mar 10, 8:32 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7, 2017

48 by blinddig »»
Mar 10, 8:07 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

113 by Atavistic »»
Jan 23, 2:51 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2017

51 by hanakocheeks »»
Feb 5, 2023 7:44 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2017

46 by hanakocheeks »»
Feb 5, 2023 7:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.