Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Sep 3, 2018 5:21 AM
Jun 2014
I really like this ending. Story in the manga just goes on and on with meaningless adventures, new kawaii party members and more random magic stuff. Golden Age ark was the best part of Berserk.
Sep 8, 2018 4:19 PM

Jan 2014
Welp Griffith just lost his humanity. I think he got manipulated a bit. He shouldve just watched the castle from afar.. Too late for that.
Griffith admitted Guts replaced his dream that was cute :p Too bad he's gone too.
I guess now all the characters are lost and the story will focus around Guts being driven by revenge. Time for the manga..

I dont mind the cliffhanger. I wish they continued the adaptation in 2d but they'd most likely mess that up as well.
Its ridiculous how good the anime is compared to the films even with a small budget..

Sep 16, 2018 5:36 PM

Jul 2017
Well, that was weird. I knew it was gonna get pretty bad for the Hawks by the end, but I really didn't expect all of that. I didn't know how far the show would.

That end didn't explain a lot, as others have said. How did Guts escape? Did Casca survive? Why was Griffith totally different looking in the first episode?

I appreciate, very dearly, that Guts never gave up. It's a real encouragement for me that we can all make something a bit better if we try.
Oct 2, 2018 9:06 PM

Oct 2009
greatest ending of all time
Jan 2, 2019 3:20 PM
Jan 2017
Very gud anime between gore and nudity its very gud at the ending when i see griffith is sacrificing all taka no dan member to become a king and reach the palace and fucking casca giving the sacrifice sign to guts and casca.
but look like they manage to escape from this tragedy,, even guts losing his right eye and left hand.. he keep continues his revenge and become berserker..
Jan 19, 2019 7:52 AM
Aug 2018
Wtf did I just watch.
It was great until all that demon crap came up. Oh, and with that cliffhanger, the first episode is just a tease to show us what happens in x years after the events of the anime.

What a disappointing end.
Mar 24, 2019 8:03 PM
Oct 2018
i feel like the last 3 episodes were rushed, didn't really enjoy the ending but hopefully the manga will help my blue balls.

also griffith piped casca lmao
Apr 3, 2019 11:10 AM

Mar 2019
goko- said:
i feel like the last 3 episodes were rushed, didn't really enjoy the ending but hopefully the manga will help my blue balls.

also griffith piped casca lmao

The manga is great, but don't be one of those people who skip an arc. The anime leaves out a lot.

I would recommend the three movies, but unless you have a severe need for more Berserk, you can miss 2016. Animation kills it.

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Apr 30, 2019 11:45 AM

Jul 2016
Haven't been this depressed ever since Lain's ending

Now I am very depressed, I do not know what I should even say at this point... I am very speechless

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenJul 20, 2019 4:09 PM
May 2, 2019 4:10 PM
May 2015
Oh god oh fuck what the fuck was that
. I'm so not satisfied with this Ending I'm starting the fucking manga rn
May 2, 2019 7:18 PM
Feb 2019
OMG... how can they just end the series there...
May 5, 2019 3:11 PM

Apr 2014
What a way to make you read the manga.. ugh.
Jul 11, 2019 9:09 AM

Dec 2015
wow, what a lame ending, they should have started all the demon stuff before the last 2 episodes. It's honestly a shame this never had a 2nd season.
Jul 22, 2019 12:30 PM
Apr 2016
Well, that was a very bizarre ending. Everyone died, because of Griffith. However, I don't believe that the demons manipulated Griffith into accepting, I think they simply awakened his extreme desires from before Guts came. Gruesome, painful, full of emotions ending. Guts lost an eye, too. Time to read the manga!
Jul 22, 2019 10:18 PM

Jun 2013
All anime is just one huge, expensive advertisement for their original source material which is often manga and light novels.

I'm still giving this a 10. I've seen this a couple times but forgot to update it on MAL. Now I'm trying to remember all the series I've seen which I haven't put on MAL.

臭い-
Jul 30, 2019 12:54 AM
Jul 2019
Wow, what a great episode, I can't wait to see how Guts will get out of thi- what? Wheres the next episode? This is wrong right? It can't end here, SURELY not.

Alas...it has, and im not sure Berserk will ever continue the same level of excitement for me. I will watch the 3 movies (which apparently go beyond what the original show follows) and follow up with the manga (which does go beyond and is still live as of this date!).

However, I will not watch the new Berserk (2016 & 2017), as I am here for anime and not blender renderings...I am very peculiar in the regard that something as small (although im sure other people will agree with me) as changing from the standard 2D drawing anime into a 3D rendering can upset my viewing experience.

Hopefully, the movies and the manga will keep my excitement for this incredible anime... what an ending...what a cliffhanger, almost a perfect ending!

9/10
Aug 19, 2019 6:04 AM

May 2018
Easily one of the best anime I have watched, I love the characters and mostly the universe of Berserk which really is unexpectable, even though it is not realistic every scenes here felt natural for me. Finally, I've finished some good anime again.

Nov 6, 2019 10:11 PM

Jun 2013
Finally watched Berserk and it lived up to everything I heard about it. It was worth the watch and I'll definitely have to read the manga to see what happens next and everything they skipped.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Dec 15, 2019 3:45 AM
Jul 2018
Shit

............i must know what happened..

It's one of the best anime/fictional work I have ever seen.. totally understand why it is hailed by many as a masterpiece.. IDK what more to say, great show, great on all levels..
removed-userDec 15, 2019 3:49 AM
Feb 20, 2020 8:20 PM

Mar 2016
agentzeee said:
THE WORST THING ABOUT THE ENDING IS HOW ABRUPT AND BRIEF IT IS

Imagine if the Empire Strikes Back ended as soon as Vader delivered the bad news and Luke feel into the depths of that Cloud City place. No ending resolution, no time to really SOAK up what had happened, it just... ends.

That's where I'm at with this show. I think a 26th episode could have been needed to show WHAT THE F*** happened in the time after these huge revelations.

As it stands, the ending isn't BAD per se, just.... too brief and incomplete.

Haha, not to mention that episode 1 doesn't line up with the ending AT ALL.

I especially hate the tacked in "Things have been so miserable since Griffith became king" line in it too. An absolutely desperate attempt by the anime to tie it altogether.

I can only imagine the confusion caused my people who only saw it, and who wanted to get into it or know more.
I was lucky. I watched episode 1 and read chapter 1 at the same time to gauge myself. I knew right there the manga was the better version and only watched the anime long thereafter.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
May 1, 2020 11:56 AM

Mar 2015
Casca :(

Even if this is basically just an ad for the manga, I wish they at least showed how Guts managed to get out of that whole fiasco lol a bit too abrupt.
May 10, 2020 8:54 PM

Sep 2015
Well, I did it. Another example of why I costantly avoid adaptations, and always go first with source material.
Only then, I approach everything the franchise has to offer.

I liked this anime, I really liked it. But a great part of my appreciation comes from knowing Berserk beforehand, and not having high expectations. If I approached Miura's masterpiece, years ago, with this anime, that would've been a shame. Who knows... after all, it's just a different experience. But I'm glad to follow this guideline of mine.

All things considered, OLM studio did a decent work, expecially in these last episodes. Funny to think that now I want to re-read the manga. The intended effect still applies, I see.
May 18, 2020 11:49 PM

Aug 2018
This ending just wasn't feeling complete, its like we desperately need 26th episode

But it also encourages to read the manga to see where it all goes

The series as a whole really stood up to its title which is best berserk adaptation and its sad that it never got continuation or new berserk being as good as this.

I give this berserk series 8.9/10 which I think is pretty fair for overall performance of this anime
Jun 25, 2020 11:56 AM

Apr 2013
Well... those last few episodes were certainly not worth watching. And this one just ended without any conclusion, very weird.

I will try not to give it an even lower score because of the bad ending, but I can't really rate this very highly either. 6/10
Jul 11, 2020 11:44 PM
Jul 2020
lol who tf would give this episode a less rating than 10/10
Jul 27, 2020 8:33 AM
Jul 2010
10/10, obviously the manga is better though, hopefully in 10 or 20 years when the Berserk manga concludes, we get a real adaption of the entire manga from start to finish. Great animation in this anime though, hand drawn, just beautiful. Great opening and ending as well.
Sep 23, 2020 3:44 AM

Apr 2020
Holy shit!
It is fucked up!!!!!
That is end ?!?!
I ordered volume 1 & 2 of the Manga.
Supposedly they adapted 13 VOLUMES! WTF!
And I know about that CG stuff that happened.

Definitely collecting the Manga.
--AbiSa--
Jan 6, 2021 1:51 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
I’ve seen some rough stuff but this is on the top. And I’m pretty sure the manga is even more gruesome.

What really made it crushing for me was that for 20 or so episodes you see Griffith fighting alongside his men and up until the very end, those men gave their trust and lives to him. That bond was crushed with a few words, all to chase a dream. ;-; Crazy this all escalated when Guts left the group. I was devastated the most with Judeau’s death, Casca’s “dead” state, and Gut’s look of betrayal. The earlier episodes do feel like a dream; and that’s why this anime is so good.
Feb 2, 2021 9:16 PM

Aug 2013
Holy shit. Im shaken by this last episode. i heard ppl said it was one of the goriest anime out there but untill last eps it was just random bloodshed on the battlefield.
I kinda guessed some evil revenge against caska was comming from griffith but i never immagined this. It reminded me alot of braveheart honestly.. those endings man.. As much as i understand griffiths anger i rlly fucking hate the bastard lol. Dont sink my beautiful ship u selfish dipsh*t >: (

Feb 4, 2021 2:57 PM
Aug 2019
I knew what was going to happen but it still hurts so bad. My boy Judeau :(. I fucking cried so much when Guts started to whack his arms off. Dammit i need a break
Mar 5, 2021 9:36 PM

Feb 2018
I'm sure this is a rather banal critique, but it's disappointing that there's only one female member of the God Hand and, even then, she is very explicitly sexualized — basically a sexy evil giantess woman that doesn't have any clothes besides a bodice to prop up her massive boobs. I get that it's 90s Japan and I should be desensitized to the sexism from Japanese (and Western) media consumption, but it's still grating.

Also, I found Casca's rape gratuitous. It's like "not only did Griffith KILL everybody, he also RAPED Casca. THAT's how EVIL Femto is. NOW Casca will be TRAUMATIZED because she was RAPED by a guy she LOVED." It's v trite. Although, strangely enough, I think the scene worked well for Guts' characterization, to show the futility and desperation as he butchers his arm and loses an eye.
Mar 16, 2021 12:18 PM

Dec 2012
Total bullshit ending. It's basically "pick up the manga or wrap things up with Guts getting cucked." I would have been ready to dive into the sequel if it wasn't for the shitty CGI.

Beyond that though, Berserk ended up being truly exceptional and lived up to its notoriety. The dynamic between Griffith & Guts set up for this diabolical turn of events and Griffith's mad obsession with Guts. Even as he raped Casca, all he could see was the man before him. Berserk's strongest point was definitely in its character building and I found myself liking Guts a whole lot more than I would have ever imagined. Behind each of these seemingly larger than life characters were vulnerable dreams that kept them endearing all the way through.

8/10, glad I finally got this one off my shoulders.
Mar 19, 2021 9:04 PM

Apr 2020
Fuck!

How can you end the season on that moment?! I mean, it certainly was a memorable way to end the anime, but... Wow.

Something I wanted to say a few episodes ago was that Pipin really is an unsung hero in this anime. He barely said a word, but he saved several people on numerous occasions. And now he goes out saving Casca. Jeezus man, what a homie. Judeau as well.

Corkus met a fitting end, being done in by his love for punani. But damn, man, all those people met horrific ends.

And then, the scenes with Casca. That was some fucked up shit man. Holy, or rather unholy shit. The final scene where Guts was stabbing his own arm with his broken sword. I saw it coming, but damn did it make me cringe. He had to watch while Griffith and those monsters were...

I wanna know how he got out of there. What happened to Casca. Aaaargh, how can you blueball me like this "Berserk"!?

I'm guessing the only way to find out is by reading the manga. Or by diving into the movies or the more recent series.

The series had a bit of a slow start and a few flaws here and there. But this is far from a terrible anime. I'd rate it an 8/10. I can't wait to maybe read up on the manga. But for now, I gotta go get some sleep. I binged the last 7-8 episodes and it's 5 AM now.

While the last episode does leave me hanging here, I forgive them. This was a great journey and I'm glad I got to know Guts & co. See you all on the flip side. I'm gonna read some of the other opinions now. And then I'm going to bed.

Seijatachiiii said:
jesus fucking christ!

Yes, that sums it up nicely.

Oh and a shout-out to that moderator that had to modify all those comments from that Optigisa guy. Lol, seems like he never learned. XD
JezzmanMar 19, 2021 9:15 PM

Mar 27, 2021 6:27 PM
Oct 2019
CrimsonCW said:
agentzeee said:
THE WORST THING ABOUT THE ENDING IS HOW ABRUPT AND BRIEF IT IS

Imagine if the Empire Strikes Back ended as soon as Vader delivered the bad news and Luke feel into the depths of that Cloud City place. No ending resolution, no time to really SOAK up what had happened, it just... ends.

That's where I'm at with this show. I think a 26th episode could have been needed to show WHAT THE F*** happened in the time after these huge revelations.

As it stands, the ending isn't BAD per se, just.... too brief and incomplete.

Haha, not to mention that episode 1 doesn't line up with the ending AT ALL.

Absofuckinglutely

I hated that. I assumed episode 1 was just a quick sneak peak to the end of the season. But at the end of the season, we still haven't caught up to episode 1 in regards to the chronological timeline. It was utterly ridiculous
Mar 27, 2021 6:31 PM
Oct 2019
Also, the third movie, and both the 2016 and 2017 series are must watch

Don't listen to anyone who tells you the newer adaptation is awful. It's not. I enjoyed it quite a bit. But you'll have to get over yourself if you're an uber annoying, wannabe animation quality snob
Mar 29, 2021 5:18 PM

Apr 2020
HagePotPotato said:
Also, the third movie, and both the 2016 and 2017 series are must watch

Don't listen to anyone who tells you the newer adaptation is awful. It's not. I enjoyed it quite a bit. But you'll have to get over yourself if you're an uber annoying, wannabe animation quality snob

Totally agree, I can't get over how divided the opinions are on the 2016 series. I've watched 5 episodes so far and there was only 1 (so far) where the CGI really bugged me. But I loved all the other ones. The music is more fitting as well. As good as the Guts theme is, the 2016 series' music is where it's at.

People that talk about "not being able to watch that 20 FPS garbage" are severely overreacting. I say if you're a fan of Berserk, then you'll at least give the 2016 series a fair shot. Not to mention it's only 12 episodes, so I'm almost halfway already.

Apr 8, 2021 3:04 AM
Nov 2020
AncientArtem said:
I do love the idea of the anime and enjoy the actual story. But what's with all the rape scenes? Honestly, it ruined the anime for me. I understand the ones in the backstory and to show how terrible the bad guys really are but every time it focuses on the nude parts of the women and nothing else. Its not needed to tell the story or plot. Just made me dislike it.

Um. Not sure if you watched it, but in the 1997 anime there’s only one rape and it’s the scene at the very end of the show. And you don’t really see anything.

There’s one other assault on Casca in episode 13/14 that she thwarts. But to be frank with you, I don’t think that focused on her body at all.
May 13, 2021 10:13 AM

Oct 2015
Man, this thread is a time capsule. Over 10 years of comments, mostly complaints about the abrupt ending and the rape, it's amazing. I get it, I want closure too and I also don't enjoy rape in my content, but aren't you guys overreacting a little? Because of the way anime is adapted from manga, and also because manga is consumed way more than anime, there will often be cliffhanger endings of one-season animes intending to promote the manga. Just go read the damn manga! Is it that much of a challenge? At least the story continues. "I don't read manga"? Well, start! You're missing out!

Anyway, this was a great episode. Shocking, disturbing, and brutal. I wish I was reading or watching at the time of it's release. Sadly I had been spoiled years ago so I knew this was coming but just imagine how all the readers and watchers back then felt witnessing all their favorite characters just get immediately mutilated by the person they went to save. The person the audience probably also wanted to be saved. Man my respect for Judeau and Pippin went through the roof. I wouldn't even be able to move let alone find the strength to fight so people could escape.

And poor Casca. After all the rape attempts she had survived throughout the series the one who finally succeeds is her beloved Griffith.... and a bunch of fucking demons. And all to spite the man who loves her. Truly a tragic character.

On a side-note, dark stories like this really show you how many people without a strong moral compass are around you. People in this thread are seriously questioning if what Griffith did was "really rape" because Casca was moaning. Jesus H. Christ.

It's a shame I was spoiled because I've felt this ominous undertone from Griffith throughout the series that I wonder if I would have been able to pick up on if I hadn't been spoiled. It was like I was watching the slow creation of a villain. Fuck you Griffith! You're a great villain, but fuck you! After years of "Griffith did nothing wrong" memes I was preparing for a morally gray reason for why he did what he did but there isn't any. He did everything wrong! Guy had everything going for him. Good looks, intelligence, an army of loyal men, knighthood, good graces with the King, the love of the princess, and he threw it all away by forcing himself onto the princess prematurely. I truly hope Guts kills him but seeing how things went for the Band of the Hawk this episode Guts' vengeance could all just be a prolonged attempt in vain.

The art and animation were great these past few episodes. Particularly when Femto emerged and flew down from the hand. The demons were also delightfully grotesque. I've always felt that Japanese artists struggle at portraying demons as justifiably grimdark and otherworldly but Kentaro Miura excelled at it.

Anyway, I enjoyed Berserk 1997. It had fantastic characters, great art, brilliant writing, and a compelling story. The animation is probably its weakest aspect but I can definitely enjoy a good story with weak animation. I'm glad I was recommended to start on episode 2 instead and save the first episode for last. I don't understand why a director would structure the anime like this one. Sure, that's how it is in the manga, but the manga continues. The anime doesn't. It just ends at the rape. Putting the future events in the first episode was just a bad call.

9/10 onto the manga.
May 14, 2021 1:05 PM
Dec 2014
This and HxH are the greatest anime of all time man and they both are unfinished, I need to see them before I die, idk what to do it's just when you create something so perfect you can't just not finish it.
May 24, 2021 11:24 AM

Jan 2020
I thought the stopping point was a little weird but oh well. As for the content adapted, wow. What an incredible yet painful episode :(

Rest in piece to everyone and I loved the series overall although I've read the manga beforehand. My final score is probably gonna be a 9/10. The eclipse is always tragic

Jun 16, 2021 1:36 PM

Jun 2019
My 11th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 10/10 rating.
Jun 19, 2021 9:07 PM

Jun 2020
horniness truly is the worst curse... took da life of corkus & got the worst of casca...
Jun 28, 2021 10:24 PM
Oct 2020
The eclipse finale always hits hard......fuck Griffith
Jul 19, 2021 5:06 PM

Feb 2017
damn wtf????? jesus christ????? okay well firstly i LOVED this anime a lot. secondly im gonna SCREAM @ how abruptly this ended. thirdly im desperate to start reading the manga immediately but i dont have the time to commit to it right now. so im very very frustrated.

i kinda spoiled myself about griffith turning into(?) femto but i didnt know anything about femto so i was very scared when he emerged and then very very taken aback when he raped casca. im so heartbroken for both casca and guts. but i still really enjoyed this series overall. the manga is on my ptr list so maybe i'll get around to it sometime before the next century haha:(

placeholder text
Aug 12, 2021 4:36 PM
Apr 2016
A bit weird how abruptly this ended, they could have made one more episode to show how they escape from the eclipse and how Gutts starts hunting the apostles afterwards, having read the manga i still liked this adaptation, it's not perfect but it's really good except for the animation, some episodes were better than others but overall i think the animation quality was mediocre, the rest is great, voice acting, music, art, 8/10
Aug 25, 2021 2:58 AM

Jan 2013
Rasco said:
The Fuck scene with Griffith and Caska was way better in the Movie adaption. But I like Guts gruesome fight in this series.
Its best to read the manga since it has all the information and backstory, yet I now realize it doesn't explain much about the god-hand and how they became kinsmen. Its sad to say this but.. yeah everyone go read the fucking manga for more Berserk!

but i refuse!!!!!
Aug 25, 2021 1:44 PM

Mar 2010
HibiChika said:
Rasco said:
The Fuck scene with Griffith and Caska was way better in the Movie adaption. But I like Guts gruesome fight in this series.
Its best to read the manga since it has all the information and backstory, yet I now realize it doesn't explain much about the god-hand and how they became kinsmen. Its sad to say this but.. yeah everyone go read the fucking manga for more Berserk!

but i refuse!!!!!
>____________________________<

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 9, 2021 7:50 AM

Mar 2020
Wtf was that! Im heartbroken! Poor casca and guts, i hope shes alive...I hate griffith
Great show! It shook me to the core..
windyscarSep 9, 2021 7:59 AM
Sep 30, 2021 7:01 PM

Jan 2021
Damn I really don’t know what to say after all that what an ending
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» Berserk Golden Age Sequel

18927 - Apr 21

22 by eaten-apple »»
Yesterday, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

76 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

78 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 11:23 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

82 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 10:43 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

87 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.