Forum Settings
Forums

Does atheism lend itself to consequentialist morality?

New
May 26, 2017 5:07 PM
May 2017
I'm glad our founding fathers were niether radical religious zealots nor atheists.

i don't think atheism is is consistent with the values that make America great which is natural rights.

In my opinion, Deism is the most compatable with the concept because it allows the concept of natural rights. The constitutions grants us rights which are guaranteed by God himself.
I believe had we not been committed to the idea of natural rights, we'd be much more consequentialist.

I'm not trying to blame atheists for the attacks on free speech, but you'll notice many of these European countries guilty of the most anti-free speech action tend to be very athiest.
Because atheism lends itself more to consequentialism. And consequentialism isn't compatable with guaranteed freedoms like free speech. I suspect the reason Canada, Germany and France are so anti-free speech is because they don't see the value in free speech inherently.
They see things like "Hate speech" as grounds for making it illegal on the basis that it's not "useful" or "helpful" speech.

Someone dedicated to the concept of God given rights will support hate speech on the basis that it is a natural right of man. I don't think atheism is good enough to protect these freedoms because a consequentialist morality would not support things like free speech.

And I know we don't have "absolute free speech" but here in America, free speech restrictions are based on immediate safety, not whether or not such speech is "bad" for society.
The idea that saying "faggot" is akin to yelling fire in a movie theater is absolutely insane. One is about public safety the other is about not offending people

I'm not judging all atheists. You can have a daentological view of natural rights and be an atheist. All I'm saying is that atheism, as an ideology, doesn't lead to that
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2017 5:25 PM

Aug 2016
The most anti free speech (anti-freedom in general) countries have always been theocracies. Blasphemy laws and Sharia are perfect examples of this. There is nothing in most religious texts that protects freedom of speech and in fact a very strict behavioral code is always set in place. Free speech is a relatively new concept historically speaking and religion had nothing to do with it. Hell many of the people that made these sorts of laws were Deists.

I've seen very few atheists that are actually anti free speech in general anyway and the ones that are, they usually dogmatically follow some ideology. Speaking as an atheist I believe you should be allowed to do whatever you want so long as you aren't causing harm.
ZenbearMay 27, 2017 9:47 AM
May 26, 2017 5:26 PM

Feb 2013
Godless millennials do seem to lean towards the justification of the violent pursuit of an ideology. ;)
May 26, 2017 5:29 PM
May 2017
Zenbear said:
The most anti free speech (anti-freedom in general) countries have always been theocracies. Blasphemy laws and Sharia are perfect examples of this. There is nothing in most religious texts that protects freedom of speech and in fact a very strict behavioral code is always set in place. Free speech is a relatively new concept historically speaking and religion had nothing to do with it. Hell many of the people that made these sorts of laws were Deists.

I've seen very few atheists that are actually anti free speech in general anyway and the ones that are, they usually dogmatically follow some ideology. Speaking as an atheist I believe you be allowed to doi whatever you want song as you aren't causing harm.

Canada, Germany, the UK, France are all countries without free speech protections, at least not to what you'd have here.
A country with hate speech laws does not have free speech.

The country with free speech is America, and might honestly be the only one on earth.
Most of these european countries who have hate speech laws and cowtow to Islam and feminism are far more atheist than America
May 26, 2017 5:39 PM

Aug 2016
libertarianmind said:
Zenbear said:

I've seen very few atheists that are actually anti free speech in general anyway and the ones that are, they usually dogmatically follow some ideology. Speaking as an atheist I believe you be allowed to doi whatever you want song as you aren't causing harm.

Canada, Germany, the UK, France are all countries without free speech protections, at least not to what you'd have here.

The country with free speech is America, and might honestly be the only one on earth.
Most of these european countries who have hate speech laws and cowtow to Islam and feminism are far more atheist than America

None of that has anything to do with atheism though and Canada is actually still fairly religious btw. It's something in the ballpark of 75% Christians and we NEVER had free speech here.
ZenbearMay 27, 2017 9:48 AM
May 26, 2017 5:40 PM
May 2017
Zenbear said:
libertarianmind said:

None that has anything to do with atheism though and Canada is actually still fairly religous btw. It's something in the ballpark of 75% Christians and we NEVER had free speech here.

Well, I guess that's cause you just don't have a history like ours.
We were a nation that came out of a revolution based on individualist values
May 26, 2017 5:50 PM

Aug 2016
libertarianmind said:
Zenbear said:

None that has anything to do with atheism though and Canada is actually still fairly religous btw. It's something in the ballpark of 75% Christians and we NEVER had free speech here.

Well, I guess that's cause you just don't have a history like ours.
We were a nation that came out of a revolution based on individualist values

Yes I'm aware of that and to be frank I wish we had similar free speech laws over here.
May 27, 2017 12:56 AM

May 2015
Natural rights don't exist. Rights is something we create. Existensialism woo!
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 27, 2017 1:04 AM

Apr 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:

Don't let brer see this he'll flip and say something about objective morals and shit
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 27, 2017 1:07 AM

May 2013
Atheism is weird it's like yeah you can find morality and meaning in a life where there's no god, but by the time you do I swear you've probably just found God right there lol. And then you have to walk around explaining yourself the rest of your life how you're an atheist, buuuuut....

Atheist morality will often be highly utilitarian and pragmatist, but you can still find a higher morality through it. There are many scientific perspectives that will point you towards an altruistic and positive mindset... kind of a 'carpe diem' sort of thing hahah.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 27, 2017 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
xrockxz89 said:
Atheism is weird it's like yeah you can find morality and meaning in a life where there's no god, but by the time you do I swear you've probably just found God right there lol. And then you have to walk around explaining yourself the rest of your life how you're an atheist, buuuuut....

Atheist morality will often be highly utilitarian and pragmatist, but you can still find a higher morality through it. There are many scientific perspectives that will point you towards an altruistic and positive mindset... kind of a 'carpe diem' sort of thing hahah.

Yeah man I was an atheist but then I looked outside the window and found god (he was hiding behind a tree)
May 27, 2017 1:28 AM

May 2013
D-KabZ said:
xrockxz89 said:

Yeah man I was an atheist but then I looked outside the window and found god (he was hiding behind a tree)

he was probably just taking a piss lol
I CELEBRATE myself,
May 27, 2017 1:33 AM
Mar 2011
xrockxz89 said:

secular rule us impoarnt im main of faith and im say this no Thtocratic rule is ok
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 27, 2017 1:36 AM

May 2013
DateYutaka said:
xrockxz89 said:

secular rule us impoarnt im main of faith and im say this no Thtocratic rule is ok

i feel the same way. A secular society will open up more doors for spirituality.
I CELEBRATE myself,
May 27, 2017 5:28 AM

May 2015
libertarianmind said:
I'm glad our founding fathers were niether radical religious zealots nor atheists.

i don't think atheism is is consistent with the values that make America great which is natural rights.

In my opinion, Deism is the most compatable with the concept because it allows the concept of natural rights. The constitutions grants us rights which are guaranteed by God himself.
I believe had we not been committed to the idea of natural rights, we'd be much more consequentialist.

I'm not trying to blame atheists for the attacks on free speech, but you'll notice many of these European countries guilty of the most anti-free speech action tend to be very athiest.
Because atheism lends itself more to consequentialism. And consequentialism isn't compatable with guaranteed freedoms like free speech. I suspect the reason Canada, Germany and France are so anti-free speech is because they don't see the value in free speech inherently.
They see things like "Hate speech" as grounds for making it illegal on the basis that it's not "useful" or "helpful" speech.

Someone dedicated to the concept of God given rights will support hate speech on the basis that it is a natural right of man. I don't think atheism is good enough to protect these freedoms because a consequentialist morality would not support things like free speech.

And I know we don't have "absolute free speech" but here in America, free speech restrictions are based on immediate safety, not whether or not such speech is "bad" for society.
The idea that saying "faggot" is akin to yelling fire in a movie theater is absolutely insane. One is about public safety the other is about not offending people

I'm not judging all atheists. You can have a daentological view of natural rights and be an atheist. All I'm saying is that atheism, as an ideology, doesn't lead to that

Don't really know what you base the whole Europe hasnt free speech on, but here in Denmark we have complete free speech apart from blasphemy laws, and those laws we have because.... surprise, we aren't a secular, and far from an atheist country, the church is still sanctioned by the state, and 80% of the country is still members of the church. So saying free speech problems is because of atheism is completely asinine.
May 27, 2017 9:23 AM
May 27, 2017 9:30 AM

Apr 2017
Morality... Yeah haven't seen that anime...
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 27, 2017 11:51 PM

May 2015
Ikaros_42oh said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Don't let brer see this he'll flip and say something about objective morals and shit

Although I'm a very harsh ethicist - I believe ethics are the most important field and everyone in the world must be familiar with Groundwork - morals aren't objective. That's because morals are value judgments. Value judgments aren't objects.
May 28, 2017 6:21 AM

Aug 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

Although I'm a very harsh ethicist - I believe ethics are the most important field and everyone in the world must be familiar with Groundwork - morals aren't objective. That's because morals are value judgments. Value judgments aren't objects.

Objective morality is granted by God to healthy human nature. People possessed by evil cannot see objective morality. That's Satan's work.

You collect all the genuinely healthy people in the world and when they speak sense to each other they will all see the same morality.
May 28, 2017 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
Religion does not correlate with morality, man. If anything, religious zealots are often rife with false morality. Extremely religious people tend not to practice what they preach, despite them constantly harping at others, it's basically another freuduan mechanism in action.
May 28, 2017 9:15 AM

Jul 2015
@NudeBear out of curiosity, what's your motivation when you argue with a dude who says shit like "all atheists are retarded and mentally ill"? You can't hope to have a meaningful discussion with that kind of arrogant person, so what's the point? I'm legit curious.
May 28, 2017 9:55 AM

Aug 2013
NudeBear said:
JustaBrer said:

Objective morality is granted by God to healthy human nature. People possessed by evil cannot see objective morality. That's Satan's work.

You're only adhering to a set of values provided by an absolute power, but that doesn't make it objective because those values are still subjective to God; it's just an appeal to dictatorship.

God exists metaphysically. He defies physical understanding and his nature cannot be measured. He is infinite. This is as far as we get in understanding God until we reach Heaven.

He gives us signs in physical reality though to guide our way. To guide us to be good, placid and healthy, so that we may prove ourselves worthy of Heaven.
May 28, 2017 4:06 PM

Nov 2012
JustaBrer said:
NudeBear said:

You're only adhering to a set of values provided by an absolute power, but that doesn't make it objective because those values are still subjective to God; it's just an appeal to dictatorship.

God exists metaphysically. He defies physical understanding and his nature cannot be measured. He is infinite. This is as far as we get in understanding God until we reach Heaven.

He gives us signs in physical reality though to guide our way. To guide us to be good, placid and healthy, so that we may prove ourselves worthy of Heaven.

If his nature can't be measured then how did you determine he is good?
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 29, 2017 12:01 AM

Aug 2013
OmegaSiets said:
JustaBrer said:

Because God speaks to our hearts. He grants us warmth and strength. His people are good. His book describes good. We simply cannot put a cap or a limit on him. All goodness comes from him though.

God is the embodiment of mental health. We live in a world filled with insanity, evil, confusion, disorder and suffering, and yet many of God's people show excellent mental health, genuinely being kind to others, being wise and showing great strength of character. This is good.

People also experience miracles through God. Make no mistake, God is good, and he exists above us safeguarding our hearts and condemning evil. Don't fall into foolishness. Don't be bad.

Find salvation, is my message. If you want conclusive proof beyond what I've mentioned then you'll never get it. If only it were that easy. This is God's trial to humankind.

Regardless of how many people here turn to God from my words I'll always be here to speak sense, help out people and show good character. The proof is in the pudding.

Hope that can help you!
JustaCratMay 29, 2017 12:09 AM
May 29, 2017 12:19 AM

Dec 2015
JustaBrer said:
Because God speaks to our hearts. He grants us warmth and strength. His people are good. His book describes good.

What a load of vague, smug, self congratulatory nonsense.
May 29, 2017 12:20 AM

Jan 2014
JustaBrer said:
OmegaSiets said:

Because God speaks to our hearts.

Proof?

He grants us warmth and strength.

Proof?

His people are good.

Is this why people kill other's in the name of God?

His book describes good.

The bible (amongst other religious texts) are also full of horrible shit committed in the name of God.

We simply cannot put a cap or a limit on him.

Proof?

All goodness comes from him though.

Proof?

God is the embodiment of mental health.

So people who kill their families because the voice of god told them to are mentally healthy?

We live in a world filled with insanity,

You could just as easily say the world is filled with sanity, it depends on your outlook.

evil,

Doesn't exist, just how good doesn't exist.

confusion,

Yes, nobody is all knowing, therefor we are all confused, welcome to reality.

disorder

Disorder is the state of nature, it's how the world exists.

and suffering,

https://youtu.be/B5RtDpva7nE?t=32s

and yet many of God's people show excellent mental health,

Proof?

genuinely helping others,

Not exclusive to religion

being kind

and showing great strength of character.

This is good.

Debatable

People also experience miracles through God.

Proof?

Make no mistake, God is good,

Proof?
Again, "good" doesn't exist.

and he exists above us safeguarding our hearts

Proof?

and condemning evil.

Proof?
Again, "evil" doesn't exist.

Don't fall into foolishness.

How do you know you haven't?

Don't be bad.

"bad" is subjective

Find salvation, is my message.

Proof "salvation" exists?

If you want conclusive proof beyond what I've mentioned then you'll never get it.

If proof can never, and I mean never, be found as to the existence of something then it doesn't exist.

If only it were that easy.

Proof isn't easy, denying it is

This is God's trial to humankind.

Proof?

Regardless of how many people here turn to God from my words I'll always be here to speak sense,

Proof you speak sense?

help out people

Proof you've helped people?

and show good character.

Calling people you disagree with mentally ill and telling them to fuck off are "good character"?

The proof is in the pudding.

Yes... yes it is.

Hope that can help you!

Why do you put an exclamation point at the end?
It just makes you come off as immature.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

May 29, 2017 12:23 AM

May 2015
JustaBrer said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You collect all the genuinely healthy people in the world and when they speak sense to each other they will all see the same morality.

If you believe in God and all your claims rely on that, no wonder we're that different. Sadly I'm not versed enough in theology to argue for/against God.
May 29, 2017 12:49 AM
Jul 2016
JustaBrer said:
God exists metaphysically.

Funny, a little over two months ago, you said...

JustaBrer said:
Metaphysics won't solve your problems, because it doesn't exist.

Make up your mind, dude.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
May 29, 2017 1:09 AM

Nov 2012
JustaBrer reminds me of the Sphinx from Mystery Men.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 29, 2017 1:14 AM

Dec 2014
Phendrus said:
JustaBrer said:
God exists metaphysically.

JustaBrer said:
Metaphysics won't solve your problems, because it doesn't exist.

Make up your mind, dude.

Lmao hahahaha it makes you think if he really believe the nonsense he's been spouting. this guy might be a troll.
May 29, 2017 8:43 AM

Aug 2013
Calm yourselves people. Don't get disturbed.

Atheism is absolutely wrong and I condemn it. This won't change. I won't force anyone to change their beliefs though. If a shitstorm from atheists starts I will be excusing myself from this thread permanently, so if you want to have a calm, healthy discussion then I'd like you to keep your tempers in check.

@ThrashMatto

Just because some people claim that they are acting in God's name that doesn't mean they actually are. Take ISIS, those people are acting on Satan's name when they think it to be God.

You demand a lot of scientific proof and so I will reiterate: God doesn't have scientific proof, and his actions upon our consciousness and hearts is metaphysical. If only it were that easy, wouldn't we all just simply be theists? God wants to test us though so it is not. I see many fools in this thread, and whilst I will keep trying to convince the fools to see sense by continually speaking sense on a range of matters, if people want to act mental towards me they'll get told to fuck off, simple as that, really. That or I will pleasantly ignore them. I also condemn the evil in mental illness. If some people won't listen then they shouldn't expect me to go out of my way for them. I have little time for idiocy.

Thrash, you are a confirmed fool. I took pity on you before and now I'm explaining stuff to you. You should listen to me though, lest you continue in your folly.

For those of you who want to doubt me the proof is in the pudding. Every healthy person on this site can see that I behave well and speak sense, and those are the only opinions that are valid.

Now, with that said, I want to make absolutely clear that I will be ignoring any and all personal attacks against me hereafter. I will also ignore any repeated questions that my posts have already gave some sort of answer to.

If you don't believe yourself capable of acting in a mentally healthy way then save yourself the embarrassment of looking like a fool. I assure you, you won't be able to bother or disturb me.

I think I'll leave this thread for a couple of days now and go help some others out on different threads.
May 29, 2017 9:15 AM

Sep 2012
OP is oppressed by atheists cause he can't scream "faggot" at people without repercussions. Damn, what a tragedy

Remember when people used the bible to promote slavery?

Good times
May 29, 2017 9:19 AM

Jul 2015
@Red_Keys the funny thing is, even online, he's so insecure he has to use an alt to write his BS.
May 29, 2017 9:56 AM
Jul 2018
It is threads like this that remind me I should prob get MAL support just for the extended ignored users list.
May 29, 2017 9:57 AM
Jul 2016
Hachijuu said:
Phendrus said:

Make up your mind, dude.

Lmao hahahaha it makes you think if he really believe the nonsense he's been spouting. this guy might be a troll.

Oh, he's definitely a troll. Trouble is, he obfuscates that fact juuuust enough that I doubt reporting him will do any good.

Everyone, please do not think this troll is representative of religious people. He doesn't believe a word he says. He's just trying to enrage people for his own amusement while making religious individuals look like condescending, batty morons.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
May 29, 2017 10:01 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
@xrockxz89
I am atheist but still have moral, and I do think a world without religion must have been one immoral one. Such as back when humanity was twelve far-genetic mix in between apes, stuff and pre-first human genetic evolved form. When we were animals, we weren't moral.
Now I follow moral because of society, because it is society that gave off moral for people to live altogether. But if we were two humans in the world, rape would be alright.

May 29, 2017 10:13 AM

Dec 2015
I don't know what "consequentalist morality" means. But historically those religions helped people (societies) to explain stuff and build rules for living together. Nowadays this is not needed anymore. And with "common sense" you can get to the similar rules most religions have. (Not killing others ... I don't need a rule. Common sense tells me that - even without laws and the police - his friends/family would attack me back and that would mean additional risk. So it's a bad thing. At least for risk-averse people that try to avoid uncertainty.)

I don't think Atheism leads to ... something. But I also don't think it will hinder/stop you from reaching that yourself. (Same goes for all the other religions if you aren't hardcore interpreting the religious books. But those hardcore fundamentalist radical people are bad for most religions and not only the Islam a lot of people like to hate.)
May 29, 2017 10:32 AM
Jun 2011
Red_Keys said:
OP is oppressed by atheists cause he can't scream "faggot" at people without repercussions. Damn, what a tragedy

Remember when people used the bible to promote slavery?

Good times
What do you mean remember when did helion1 not make a thread promoting slavery using the bible not to long ago. Does helion1 not openly make fun of homosexuality irl & online. You can't be cool if your a loser and you'll always be a loser if your on the wrong side but even if your on the right side don't let others put you to shame too bad.
May 29, 2017 10:33 AM

Jan 2017
what with those type of thread they becoming a trend
May 29, 2017 11:34 AM
Jun 2015
Atheism doesn't lead to anything because its the default state of a human being. The attacks on freedom of speech have nothing to do with atheism but it has to do with collectivism and identity politics. When you believe the group matters more than the individual it leads to the loss of individual rights and freedoms. Every society is balanced differently in how individualistic or collectivist it is. "Hate Speech" laws functionally are repackaged blasphemy laws which is why Islamic organizations push for it often.
May 29, 2017 11:40 AM

Jan 2014
JustaBrer said:
Calm yourselves people.

Who isn't calm?

Don't get disturbed.

I think you need to get down with the sickness, oohwahahaha

Atheism is absolutely wrong

Proof?

and I condemn it.

Okay... so?

This won't change.

That's fine

I won't force anyone to change their beliefs though.

Doubtful but if you can do it, good

If a shitstorm from atheists starts I will be excusing myself from this thread permanently,

Aka, running away from a debate

so if you want to have a calm,

Not seeing anything but calmness here

healthy discussion then I'd like you to keep your tempers in check.

Again, who is not keeping their tempers in check?

Yes, sir.

Just because some people claim that they are acting in God's name that doesn't mean they actually are.

No true scotsman, try again.

Take ISIS, those people are acting on Satan's name

Factually incorrect, they are acting in the name of God, the same God you worship

when they think it to be God.

Might you be acting in the name of Satan when you think it to be God?

You demand a lot of scientific proof

As anyone who should

and so I will reiterate: God doesn't have scientific proof,

Then God, so long as proof doesn't exist, doesn't exist.

and his

How do you know God isn't a woman, or an agender Cthulhu?

actions upon our consciousness and hearts is metaphysical.

AKA you can't prove it

If only it were that easy,

Nothing is easy

wouldn't we all just simply be theists?

If God existed, I'd try to kill it for what it's done

God wants to test us though so it is not.

Proof?

I see many fools in this thread,

I see one

and whilst I will keep trying to convince the fools to see sense

Whoa there, this goes against what you previously said about not trying to convert people. Why are you being hypocritical?

by continually speaking sense on a range of matters,

Proof that what you speak is sense?

if people want to act mental

How does one "act mental"?

towards me they'll get told to fuck off,

Yeah, this doesn't seem like you want to discuss thing, just seems like you want to be told you're right.

simple as that, really. That or I will pleasantly ignore them.

That's up to you, just doesn't look very good in the end

I also condemn the evil in mental illness.

So you don't understand mental illness, got it

If some people won't listen then they shouldn't expect me to go out of my way for them.

Not very Christian of you....

I have little time for idiocy.

Seems like 24/7 of your life is it though

Thrash, you are a confirmed fool.

Proof?

I took pity on you before

When did I need your "pity"?

and now I'm explaining stuff to you.

As anyone putting forth an argument should

You should listen to me though, lest you continue in your folly.

Proof that I should?

For those of you who want to doubt me the proof is in the pudding.

Which is why we doubt you

Every healthy person on this site can see that I behave well

Calling people you disagree with insane and telling them to fuck off, calling them fools, yup, that's behaving well

and speak sense,

Proof?

and those are the only opinions that are valid.

All opinions are valid, even one's you disagree with. Your opinion being valid doesn't make it a fact though.

Now, with that said, I want to make absolutely clear that I will be ignoring any

Giving yourself an easy out in a debate

and all personal attacks against me hereafter.

Who has personally attacked you?

I will also ignore any repeated questions that my posts have already gave some sort of answer to.

Proof that you've already given the answer to them?

If you don't believe yourself capable of acting in a mentally healthy way then save yourself the embarrassment of looking like a fool.

Good advise. I do hope you follow any and all advise you give to others, or that would be hypocritical.

I assure you, you won't be able to bother or disturb me.

Who's trying to? Plus it seems like you're plenty disturbed already considering you made a fairly large post about how you won't be disturbed...

I think I'll leave this thread for a couple of days now

Running away already? I thought you said you weren't bothered...

and go help some others out on different threads.

Proof that you help people?
ThrashMattoMay 29, 2017 11:49 AM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

May 29, 2017 2:08 PM

Feb 2011
libertarianmind said:
Zenbear said:

Canada has protected free speech with the exception of hate speech. If you need to spur hate speech, then you should probably not be allowed to speak. Your freedom ends where the freedom of other begin. Hate speech is violence, violence should not be tolerated in any country. You can talk about sensitive subject without being hateful.
Life is an Art
May 29, 2017 2:11 PM

Feb 2011
xrockxz89 said:

The thing is, if you're an atheist, you don't believe in god or anything that was attributed to a deity. Therefore, you don't believe that the morality that theist follow is from god but from humans, which means that if they can define morality, you can too. Morality can be explained scientifically, no need for a belief in god.
Life is an Art
May 29, 2017 2:17 PM

May 2013
Zonata said:
xrockxz89 said:

The thing is, if you're an atheist, you don't believe in god or anything that was attributed to a deity. Therefore, you don't believe that the morality that theist follow is from god but from humans, which means that if they can define morality, you can too. Morality can be explained scientifically, no need for a belief in god.

Yeah sure, I mean even then you're kind of talking about a collective consciousness which is already like a form of god to me, but yea right that's what I was getting at... science is more than enough to make you be a good person lol, although you do still have to see it through an altruistic lens. You must have the 'selfless gene' to use Richard Dawkins' term ;)
I CELEBRATE myself,
May 29, 2017 2:17 PM

Feb 2011
BTW, don't know if someone mentioned it, but atheists are not a group. They don't follow a common dogma (which doesn't prevent some to be dogmatic about their ideas, eg.: food, science, etc.).
Life is an Art
May 29, 2017 2:23 PM

Jan 2014
Zonata said:
libertarianmind said:

Canada has protected free speech with the exception of hate speech. If you need to spur hate speech, then you should probably not be allowed to speak. Your freedom ends where the freedom of other begin. Hate speech is violence, violence should not be tolerated in any country. You can talk about sensitive subject without being hateful.

1. Anything can be classified as "hate speech", see bill c-16
2. Speech can never be violence. It may incite violence, it cannot be in itself violence.
3. Canada protects "hate speech" so long as it's not forced or inciting violence.
ThrashMattoMay 29, 2017 2:40 PM
I love Christine

May 29, 2017 2:34 PM

Feb 2011
ThrashMatto said:
Zonata said:

2. Speech can never violence. It may incite violence, it cannot be in itself violence.
3. Canada protects "hate speech" so long as it's not forced or inciting violence.

1. That is'nt true. bill c-16 is simply an add-on. It was already inherently part of the "hate speech" definition. They added it to remove the uncertainty around the modern issue of gender and also for political capital.
2. Violence is not necessarily physical as you seem to imply. Violence is any use of power that can harm someone physically o r psychologically. Albeit it is more often associated with some form of physical damage, it isn't exclusive.
3. If you can say it legally in Canada, it isn't hate speech. Any form of hate speech is considered violent and consequently is punishable.
Life is an Art
May 29, 2017 2:36 PM

Jan 2014
Zonata said:
ThrashMatto said:

2. Speech can never be violence. It may incite violence, it cannot be in itself violence.

1. That is'nt true. bill c-16 is simply an add-on. It was already inherently part of the "hate speech" definition. They added it to remove the uncertainty around the modern issue of gender and also for political capital.
2. Violence is not necessarily physical as you seem to imply. Violence is any use of power that can harm someone physically o r psychologically. Albeit it is more often associated with some form of physical damage, it isn't exclusive.
3. If you can say it legally in Canada, it isn't hate speech. Any form of hate speech is considered violent and consequently is punishable.

1. you prove my point.

vi·o·lence
ˈvī(ə)ləns/
noun
noun: violence

behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

3. Handing out pamphlets denying the holocaust is both "hate speech" and legal.
ThrashMattoMay 29, 2017 2:40 PM
I love Christine

May 29, 2017 2:43 PM

Feb 2011
ThrashMatto said:
Zonata said:

1. you prove my point.

vi·o·lence
ˈvī(ə)ləns/
noun
noun: violence

behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

1. How? Because you don't understand the concept?

2. Cherry picking. The wikipedia page says otherwise. "Violence is defined by the World Health Organization as "the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, which either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation", although the group acknowledges that the inclusion of "the use of power" in its definition expands on the conventional understanding of the word."

Which includes four types of violence: physical, sexual, psychological, emotional

3. It isn't hate speech. Again, you don't seem to understand what is hate speech.
Life is an Art
May 29, 2017 2:50 PM

Jan 2014
Zonata said:
ThrashMatto said:

1. you prove my point.

1. How? Because you don't understand the concept?

2. Cherry picking. The wikipedia page says otherwise. "Violence is defined by the World Health Organization as "the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, which either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation", although the group acknowledges that the inclusion of "the use of power" in its definition expands on the conventional understanding of the word."

Which includes four types of violence: physical, sexual, psychological, emotional

3. It isn't hate speech. Again, you don't seem to understand what is hate speech.

1. No, I understand it and yes you did prove my point. Things can be amended into hate speech laws that weren't previously there.

2. I'm sorry but I'd trust the dictionary over wikipedia, anyday

3. I was using the generally accepted usage of "hate speech" not the legal usage of hate speech. The only thing keeping that instance from coming under the legal usage of hate speech is that it wasn't force, unlike the teacher in Alberta during the 80s
I love Christine

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 2 hours ago

1 by Hikinekomori »»
54 minutes ago

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - 1 hour ago

0 by Enderobot »»
1 hour ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 10 hours ago

19 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

23 by Lost_Viking »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 8 hours ago

11 by Lost_Viking »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.