Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 26, 2017 9:17 AM
Sep 2016
I was doing this for a school project to see how people respond to a change in something they find true. It was a psychology project. Thank you for helping me with my final project! Please do not comment anymore. It is making my phone lag.

Before i say anything, please do not post dumb comments like "so toy story is an anime?". That does not help the discussion at all.

What is anime?

Anime is a type of cartoon that has many genres, but still very specific when it comes to what is anime and what isn’t. If the cartoon looks, feels, and sounds like an anime, and if the creator(s) calls it an anime, then it is an anime.

Anime is just the Japanese word for animation, but somehow has become much more than that to most people. Not all animations are anime. There is a line that most people see as specific, but gets challenged every new season.

In my opinion, the reason Avatar isn’t an anime is because Nickelodeon never called it that. Nick called it a cartoon, therefore it is a cartoon closely resembling anime. RWBY, on the other hand, was called an anime by Monty (the creator), so, therefore, it is an anime.

Some of you might be saying, if I made a brick and called it a bowl, then it’s still a brick, not a bowl. But here’s the thing, if you label it as a bowl and sell it to someone, then the person who bought it is going to think it’s a terrible bowl. If you label something a different thing, then it’s a bad whatever you labeled it as. (a more anime example) If you label a romance anime as action, then people are going to think it’s a bad action anime.

(I just want to say this for people still hating on me calling RWBY an anime)….

RWBY is a passion project done by a person in Texas from America. He made it out of his love for anime. It was his dream to make an anime one day, and I think it’s a dream most anime watchers have and little can achieve. Every scene in volume 1 and 2 have been filled with passion and love for the project.

It is fine if you are still stubborn and think anime can only be made in Asia, but that won’t stop people with a love for anime to make anime in other regions. In my opinion, it’s kind of sad when people in other regions say anime can only be made in Asia because that means you have accepted that you can never make an anime because you do not live/are not from those regions. If you have a dream, then do your best to make it come true. That is what Monty did, and hopefully much more will do.

Monty thought it was so silly when people would say RWBY wasn't an anime. when a Japanese company was localizing his show and it was never a conversation as to if RWBY wasn't an anime or not, it just was.
567swimmeyMay 30, 2017 2:17 PM
May 26, 2017 9:45 AM

May 2016
So Toy Story is an anime?

Aside from snarky remarks, what I'm getting from your definition is that a show is an anime is when the creator calls it such? Personally, I find that definition too loose as the term now can be arbitrarily used.

It is not like westerners can't make anime, for example, Afro Samurai and Shelter, but I feel like you can't just make an animation that resembles the art style and slap the term anime on it.

What does an anime looks, feels and sounds like? Because even then there is still a wide variety of anime that fall in and out these lines. I feel like limiting anime to animation made primarily in Japan can satisfy all of these while being neutral to inner workings of these shows. Sometimes the term anime is used as a mark of quality like anime is superior to cartoons which why I feel we shouldn't judge based off qualities and characteristics so we can have anime be a neutral term. Being made mainly in Japan is probably the most objectively true definition we can come to.

Me calling RWDY a cartoon does not mean it is good or bad, just that it is not made in Japan.
TakenMalUsernameMay 26, 2017 9:57 AM
May 26, 2017 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
Anime just refers to japanese animation, end of topic. It gets to conplicated and vague the more you expand the definition.

From your post it appears as tho you are no different from those people who just act as if anime was somewhat superior to western cartoons...

Also there is no anime "feel", artstyle or anything like it, compare monster to K-on and tell me they are anything alike.
May 26, 2017 9:54 AM

Dec 2015
My, objectively true, definition of anime:
Dumb weeb trash and also Cory in the House
May 26, 2017 9:58 AM
Sep 2015
Do you like to complicate your own life, fellow. Anime it's japanese animation, point
May 26, 2017 9:59 AM

Jan 2016
Is the animation made in Japan? It's anime. Is it not? It's something else. This is how I have learned to tell the difference.
May 26, 2017 10:00 AM

Mar 2008
Anime. The beginning and the end. First of its order, third of its form. The 2D feeling of transcendence is borne through this twinkle hole of imagination.

For there is no knowing when the anime will hit you. It could be tomorrow, a week from now, a year later, or five days ago! We simply do not know. What we do know is that Anime is anime. This is a feeling incredible. And we know because when you look at anime - you can tell it is what it says it is. When a cartoon tells you that it's an anime, you don't just ignore that. You can't put that aside. That cartoon has decided it's an anime, and it's that cartoon's right to make itself anime. Truly, anime is blessed.

When people say that X and Y aren't anime, we can simply refute them. For how can we not remember the Axis of Evil and its diabolical graphs of mathematic mayhem? X and Y are the unforgettable fiends of the second dimension.

When people say that anime isn't just hentai. You know they're onto something. Because anime isn't just hentai. It is anime! There is maturity and legacy to this word. An untold meaning that transcends letters and language: anime is Anime, and some of it is hentai.

When we separate anime into the genres demographic of shonen shojo josei seinen we know that we mean the demographic genres of meaningful form and themes. We are talking about the definite, obvious, and 700 stark examples of these categories. Thus, we do not question the graphics. Similarly, we d not question the anonimity of anime.

Now, some might cry foul, and heckle of nonsensical pedantry and worthless hand-wringing, but the definition of anime is no slight matter. Anime is in fact the core of love. Love, is the birth of everything. Everything, is the particle of life. Life is the reality of anime. Anime is, and so we follow.

Because of the greatness of Anime, many seek to distort the scope and encompassing domain of our great nation. Do not heed these fools. Do not trust these traitorous tongues! We are anime, and anime is us. Anime is all. And so, never question your faith, as Anime shall never question you.

.eminA!
May 26, 2017 10:02 AM

Sep 2016
Anime: Animation made in Japan or/and destined to a Japanese audience.

There is no need for any other definition.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

May 26, 2017 10:04 AM

Jun 2015
That's a nice way of seeing it I guess. Although I personally think we should refrain from labeling stuff like RWBY as anime until countries outside of Asia producing anime becomes more accepted. By which I mean that anime will have a concrete definition that everyone will agree on.

@AnimeXHunter I cringe every time you make a post.
May 26, 2017 11:00 AM
Sep 2016
takenMalUsername said:

Me calling RWDY a cartoon does not mean it is good or bad, just that it is not made in Japan.

But what you are doing there is insulting the people who are working on it. When people pour their hearts into a project so it can be called a title (in this case anime) and even after hard work people still call it something else, it can be taken as an insult. I have seen many people say this for RWBY and other western anime "this show is trash it's not worthy to be an anime!". Many people have placed anime on this pedicle that only Japan can touch, so when others try to reach the level anime is on and others pull them back down saying "ït's a cartoon" it means to the creators "you can't make anime".
May 26, 2017 11:07 AM

Jan 2013

This ending is the definition of what anime is.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 26, 2017 11:08 AM

Sep 2015
Man, these idiots will never stop crying about how their cartoons can't be classified as anime. It doesn't fucking matter. Is it Japanese? No? Then it isn't anime.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 26, 2017 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
I was always under the impression that if it isn't "made in Japan", it can't be labeled as anime.
At that point it's just a cartoon, but that in itself isn't an insult, since there are some incredible cartoons out there.

PS: I love me some Wakfu, and it does look like an anime, but it's French, so I won't call it that. I'll just call it anime-influenced.
May 26, 2017 11:18 AM

Dec 2015
Anime is basically japanese animation, which is why I'm confused why chinese works like Quan Zhi Gao Shou are considered anime here.
May 26, 2017 11:31 AM

May 2012
In Japan, anything animated is going to be referred to as "anime", whereas in the West the word is clearly being used to refer to Japanese animation in particular.
The issue isn't really whether something is or isn't anime. It's about understanding that the term "anime" as a loanword does not carry the same meaning that it does in its original Japanese-language context. I believe there should be enough examples of words of foreign origin that are being used in the English language with different meaning. But let's stay with the Japanese.

In Japanese, you'll hear people talk about "baito" pretty much every day. It's short for "arubaito", which comes from the German "Arbeit". In Japan, "baito" is a part-time job and nothing but that. In the original German though, there's nothing whatsoever to suggest that "Arbeit" has anything to do with part-time. Your Arbeit is simply your job (full-time, part-time, doesn't matter). Yet for some reason the Japanese are using it in that particular way.

Recently, people have been using "manhwa" to refer to Korean comics. Now I don't know too much about Korea, but I'm going to assume that when a Korean person is talking manhwa, they might as well be talking about DC Comics. We (and everybody else on the outside) aren't using it that way though.
At some point somebody's gonna say "But but but Japanese manga is manhwa too". Well, no, it isn't. Not in the way that we use it. The same thing goes for "anime". It's a term that was specifically introduced into the English language for the purpose of being synonymous with "Japanese animation".
WormieMay 26, 2017 11:37 AM
May 26, 2017 12:18 PM

May 2016
567swimmey said:
takenMalUsername said:

But what you are doing there is insulting the people who are working on it. When people pour their hearts into a project so it can be called a title (in this case anime) and even after hard work people still call it something else, it can be taken as an insult. I have seen many people say this for RWBY and other western anime "this show is trash it's not worthy to be an anime!". Many people have placed anime on this pedicle that only Japan can touch, so when others try to reach the level anime is on and others pull them back down saying "ït's a cartoon" it means to the creators "you can't make anime".

Let's say a person wanted to make a Japanese show but they're not in Japan. How can be the product be called Japanese then?
Defining anime based on what country the product is made is not putting anime on a pedestal. Putting it on a pedestal like putting people of a certain nationality on a pedestal. Saying whether or not a person from a certain country is not insulting.

With your definition, the term anime has no meaning. What is the difference between RWBY and Avatar for one to be called anime? If they both look and feel the part, why should one be arbitrarily called anime? Like what other people said if you expand the definition to more subjective qualities then the situation becomes murky.

Not being Japanese does not mean you can't make anime. Porter Robinson was born in North Carolina but due to a collaberation with A-1 Pictures, he was able to create Shelter, an anime.
TakenMalUsernameMay 26, 2017 12:21 PM
May 26, 2017 12:21 PM

Jul 2015
Render- said:
Anime is basically japanese animation, which is why I'm confused why chinese works like Quan Zhi Gao Shou are considered anime here.

+1
Chinese cartoons should not exist in Mal
May 26, 2017 12:27 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Maz said:
Man, these idiots will never stop crying about how their cartoons can't be classified as anime. It doesn't fucking matter. Is it Japanese? No? Then it isn't anime.

The "Avatar the last air bender is anime" trolls need to go somewhere with that bullshit
EcchiGodMamsterMay 26, 2017 1:12 PM
May 26, 2017 12:30 PM
Mar 2017
Anime is just Japanese cartoon entertainment
May 26, 2017 12:33 PM

Mar 2015
anime = cartoon FFS...

mal just limited east asia geographical area for simplicity sake...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 26, 2017 12:36 PM

Feb 2010
My reply is always the same: Subjectively you can define anime however you want. But for a database site like MAL you need objective, quantifiable criteria and not vague shit like 'but it looks like anime (or rather like a certain subset of recent mainstream anime) in terms of its style' or 'The Creator said it was anime-inspired'. Country of origin is quantifiable, objective and not up to interpretation from individuals and therefore the only usable criteria for any database site that wants to be taken seriously.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 26, 2017 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
"Anime is Japanese colloquialism"

May 26, 2017 12:40 PM

Oct 2014
Noesnecesario said:

What about the anime adaptations of marvel comics? Those ideas are from a foreign audience as well as targeting towards one. Why are these still considered anime, according to your perfect definition?
May 26, 2017 12:43 PM

Sep 2016
RedInfinity said:
Noesnecesario said:

What about the anime adaptations of marvel comics? Those ideas are from a foreign audience as well as targeting towards one. Why are these still considered anime, according to your perfect definition?

Except they are made by a Japanese Studio and thus, made in Japan.

May 26, 2017 12:44 PM

Oct 2015
ah yes, one of those endless debates that spark needless conflict between all the autismo sides of the community. ah, bless this post.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 26, 2017 12:46 PM

Oct 2014
Noesnecesario said:
RedInfinity said:

To what extent can you say that they are 'made' in Japan? If only the animation, that too is a lie. Most of the anime made nowadays is outsourced to other countries like Korea who finish off the job and/or assist in the making. That's the reason as to why there are always Korean and Chinese names in the credits of anime.
May 26, 2017 12:50 PM
May 2017
@Ckan

That was so funny ^_^

Hai hai, I will never question my faith in Anime captain !!

May 26, 2017 12:58 PM

Sep 2016
RedInfinity said:
Noesnecesario said:

To what extent can you say that they are 'made' in Japan? If only the animation, that too is a lie. Most of the anime made nowadays is outsourced to other countries like Korea who finish off the job and/or assist in the making. That's the reason as to why there are always Korean and Chinese names in the credits of anime.

True, yet most of what "makes" it anime is Japanese, for example,in the adaptation of Iron-man made by Studio Madhouse most of the staff (As in director, voice actors, composer, etc...) is Japanese. As you can see here: https://myanimelist.net/anime/6875/Iron_Man/characters#staff

Of course, most studios outsource, but most of that is in-between animation and lots of it is also made by other Japanese studios, not just korean or chinese ones.

May 26, 2017 1:06 PM
Feb 2017
Anime is japanese animation. This isn't an opinion that's up for debate, it's a fact. Anime is literally the japanese word from animation, so at least in our culture it means japanese animation and only japanese animation (but since it's the actual word for animation, in japanese culture it means any sort of animated work no matter the origin)
May 26, 2017 1:06 PM

Aug 2013
Anime are Japanese cartoons plain and simple. If we go by what you are saying then all cartoons are anime considering the Japanese refer to non Japanese cartoons as anime as well.

RedInfinity said:

The marvel anime are for a Japanese audience hence why Wolverine is a bishounen in the Wolverine anime while he is short and rugged in Marvel cartoons. Also the Japanese look at the source material and stuff and create the anime. Marvel staff from America to my knowledge aren't actively involved in the creation of the Marvel anime.
DrGeroCreationMay 26, 2017 1:11 PM
May 26, 2017 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
rocket777 said:
Do you like to complicate your own life, fellow. Anime it's japanese animation, point

But the chinese anime are also listed as anime on this site. So it's Asian cartoon?
May 26, 2017 1:11 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Anime already has its own definition... you don't get to have your own
May 26, 2017 1:22 PM

Oct 2014
EcchiLordMamster said:
Anime's definition is pretty subjective. Apparently some people think anime that have dubs are no longer anime. Those people may be idiots, but I think most fans do run on different definitions of anime. Some might think doujins should still be considered anime and many think Korean and Chinese cartoons shouldn't be considered anime. A lot of people also don't think hentai should count. It's hard to many any true objective definition for it that everyone can agree on.
May 26, 2017 2:43 PM

Sep 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
Anime's definition is pretty subjective. Apparently some people think anime that have dubs are no longer anime. Those people may be idiots, but I think most fans do run on different definitions of anime. Some might think doujins should still be considered anime and many think Korean and Chinese cartoons shouldn't be considered anime. A lot of people also don't think hentai should count. It's hard to many any true objective definition for it that everyone can agree on.

Someone having an opinion doesn't make it valid or the subject at hand suddenly subjective.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 26, 2017 2:56 PM

Apr 2012
It's just cartoons made in Japan. You're over complicating this.
May 26, 2017 2:57 PM
Jul 2018

"A-nee-may"?

As in, the month? May? AniMAY?
Well, fuck me, I've been calling it animé for the past two decades...
May 26, 2017 3:04 PM

Jun 2016
The debate over what is and isn't anime is stupid. The definition is honestly arbitrary. We say anime because when you say anime people know you're talking about Japanese cartoons. There's no need to make it so convoluted.
May 26, 2017 3:04 PM

Oct 2014
Maz said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Someone having an opinion doesn't make it valid or the subject at hand suddenly subjective.
Starbucks calls drinks that contain no coffee beans coffee drinks. There are a lot of things that people will take as not having a definition because no one thought they needed one. Are Netflix Originals TV shows even though they never aired on TV? A lot of people take knowing what something is for granted and trying to enforce a definition on something will always lead to arguments. The definitions for fruits and vegetables even have two distinct definitions: the botanical ones and the informal/normal ones.
May 26, 2017 3:18 PM

Feb 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
Maz said:

Starbucks calls drinks that contain no coffee beans coffee drinks. There are a lot of things that people will take as not having a definition because no one thought they needed one. Are Netflix Originals TV shows even though they never aired on TV? A lot of people take knowing what something is for granted and trying to enforce a definition on something will always lead to arguments. The definitions for fruits and vegetables even have two distinct definitions: the botanical ones and the informal/normal ones.
lol this reminds me of the berry club comic

May 26, 2017 3:44 PM

May 2015
567swimmey said:

Anime is a type of cartoon that has many genres, but still very specific when it comes to what is anime and what isn’t. If the cartoon looks, feels, and sounds like an anime, and if the creator(s) calls it an anime, then it is an anime.

Anime is just the Japanese word for animation, but somehow has become much more than that to most people. Not all animations are anime. There is a line that most people see as specific, but gets challenged every new season.

In my opinion, the reason Avatar isn’t an anime is because Nickelodeon never called it that. Nick called it a cartoon, therefore it is a cartoon closely resembling anime. RWBY, on the other hand, was called an anime by Monty (the creator), so, therefore, it is an anime.

Some of you might be saying, if I made a brick and called it a bowl, then it’s still a brick, not a bowl. But here’s the thing, if you label it as a bowl and sell it to someone, then the person who bought it is going to think it’s a terrible bowl. If you label something a different thing, then it’s a bad whatever you labeled it as. (a more anime example) If you label a romance anime as action, then people are going to think it’s a bad action anime.

(I just want to say this for people still hating on me calling RWBY an anime)….

RWBY is a passion project done by a person in Texas from America. He made it out of his love for anime. It was his dream to make an anime one day, and I think it’s a dream most anime watchers have and little can achieve. Every scene in volume 1 and 2 have been filled with passion and love for the project.

It is fine if you are still stubborn and think anime can only be made in Asia, but that won’t stop people with a love for anime to make anime in other regions. In my opinion, it’s kind of sad when people in other regions say anime can only be made in Asia because that means you have accepted that you can never make an anime because you do not live/are not from those regions. If you have a dream, then do your best to make it come true. That is what Monty did, and hopefully much more will do.

Monty thought it was so silly when people would say RWBY wasn't an anime. when a Japanese company was localizing his show and it was never a conversation as to if RWBY wasn't an anime or not, it just was.

TLDR: If it looks like an anime and quacks like an anime, call it anime. I just call all animation "cartoons" and leave it at that. Much simpler that way.

edit: MAL has made it pretty clear though that it's a website for cartoons made in Japan. Not Asia, not Texas. Japan. Full stop. And no more than that.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

18 by PenguinLam »»
2 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

22 by traed »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

32 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

87 by Israel_Is_Evil »»
14 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

81 by nishant0 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.