Forum Settings
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 27, 2017 5:39 AM
May 2017
This was the worst...worst way ever to ruin a show like Fairy Tail. I can't even express the dissapointment i felt when i saw Makarov alive in words.
This has gotten way too bad, i'd rate this show to be the worst.
No one dies (Jellal won't die too, neither will Natsu)

All will back laughing and shit while the old fart gives his stupid cringeworthy speech and scold Natsu for breaking the guild. It feels like i've wasted my 3 years on crap.
May 27, 2017 6:20 AM

Nov 2016
To watch absurd things I would go watch Adventure Time, even there the plot has much more logic than this. It's ridiculous...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2017 6:52 AM

Mar 2014
MAKAROV IS THE TRUE IMMORTAL BEING IN FAIRY TAIL!
May 27, 2017 7:35 AM

Feb 2015
Nooo, Mavis. :( Don't leave Fairy Tail! At least Makarov got back. :D
May 27, 2017 9:56 AM

Feb 2015
Holy shit, noone died
May 27, 2017 11:02 AM

Apr 2017
Well I loved the chapter, but it was a cheesy but beautiful one. The one magic was mentioned during the chapter yet again, so that was wonderful. Zeref and Mavis died and it seems that they sacrificed themselves for Makarov, who came back, but I thought it was stupid to bring him back. I feel like Hiro is trolling people WAY~ TOO MUCH with deaths and its getting on my nerves, I bet were going to see Acnologia, Anna, and Ichiya come back before the end of Fairy Tail. It was a good chapter, but he is rushing things it seems.
May 27, 2017 7:30 PM

Apr 2012
I am absolutely amazed at you people and your ability to hate on this series for being EXACTLY WHAT THE AUTHOR WANTS IT TO BE!!!

Mashima wrote Fairy Tail this way because that's what he wanted it to be, if you don't like it, that's YOUR problem. It doesn't make anything in this story less gut-wrenching, heart-warming, or amazing.

I for one choose to rejoice in Makarov's restored life! Because this is the Fairy Tail I love!

And you know what? Screw it - I HOPE MAVIS AND ZEREF'S MAGIC CANCELLED OUT AND MADE THEM BOTH MORTAL AGAIN!!!
May 28, 2017 1:28 AM

Jan 2014
I dont understand what killed Zeref and Mavis? Love?

wtf?
May 28, 2017 8:59 AM

Nov 2012
FateHero said:
I am absolutely amazed at you people and your ability to hate on this series for being EXACTLY WHAT THE AUTHOR WANTS IT TO BE!!!

Mashima wrote Fairy Tail this way because that's what he wanted it to be, if you don't like it, that's YOUR problem. It doesn't make anything in this story less gut-wrenching, heart-warming, or amazing.

I for one choose to rejoice in Makarov's restored life! Because this is the Fairy Tail I love!

And you know what? Screw it - I HOPE MAVIS AND ZEREF'S MAGIC CANCELLED OUT AND MADE THEM BOTH MORTAL AGAIN!!!

"I have no standards for decent writing"-your post.
May 28, 2017 11:19 AM
Oct 2015
Ok, honestly I really liked the Mavis and Zeref part bc Zervis is my OTP- but the rest of it was just plain stupid. I don't know why I had hope for this series having an ending where a main character dies and stays dead.
"'Time' is proof that people have lived. Every person lives the time that has been given to them... that is life." - Erza Scarlet
"You can never win if you're afraid to lose so much that you refuse to put up a fight." - Rika Furude
May 28, 2017 11:20 AM
Apr 2017
I know this dosen't has something to do with the chapter, but I just have to post my opinion as fast as possible.

Well, I really want to know how u guys feel about the main couples... well, simply put, I'm a Jerza fan so ofc I hope they will end up together in some way. It's quite obious that they have feelings for each other and more than friendship. According to the recent chapters, it seems that Hiro will end them up together somehow. (Remember Ichiya's speech) Well, that chapter wasn't my favourite, but Jellal was saved and cause of that I give it a 2/5. The problem is that Jellal is in another guild... but, now when Zeref is down (pretty sure) he hasn't another purpose than make Erza happy, and Erza is happy with Jellal. *^* However, many Jerza fans was angry cause of the "beach scene" (u know what I mean) I'm pretty unsure that they will kiss each other, but at least have a "romantic" scene before the manga is ending.
Anyway, according to Gale it's pretty obious that they also will end up together since they also is a love couple.
Gruvia - ... well, I like them and Juvia still loves Gray, that's clear. And under the latest arc they've been closer to each other, the questions is: Are they so close that it will be called love? I feel the same for Nalu. They are the main characters and really close to each other, that's for sure, but... I don't really think they are "that" in love like the others. (Please, no hate Xc) Anyway, I think it would be best if they just end up like more than bestfirends, but not lovers. I'm not sure though. I mean, Hiro has a lot of pressure according to all the Nalu fans. Well, we'll see what will happen.
May 28, 2017 12:10 PM
Oct 2013
Taito10 said:

wtf?

Yes, by being loved by someone else they die.
The reason why the concept is genius but it´s execution terrible.
May 28, 2017 12:12 PM

Apr 2012
SuperRed said:
FateHero said:

"I have no respect for authors." - your post.

As someone who has been writing fiction for nearly 9 years, I tend to have fairy high standard for decent writing, and am currently trying to discern whether or not you understand what the definition of 'decent writing' even is.

What I am trying to say is that those of you harping on Mashima for not killing off his Main Characters have clearly missed the point of Mashima's writing style. What's worse, a lot of you seem to be under the illusion that this is a new development in his works, talking about how Fairy Tail 'started out' great but then 'became garbage' later on - and that is 100% BULLSHIT!

Mashima has not changed the way this story is written from the day of its conception to now. For all 537 Chapters >THIS IS WHAT THE STORY HAS BEEN LIKE<, this is what the story was MEANT to be like, because that's what THE AUTHOR wanted it to be.

If you are one of those people that think Fairy Tail has steadily gone down the tube over the course its run time, I have a newsflash for you:

Fairy Tail NEVER changed, YOU did! So stop blaming the author just because you decided you don't like his style anymore.

Fairy Tail is an amazing story with deep, relatable characters, a rich, intricate history, and a fun, compelling plot.

So I will repeat: If you don't like it - that's YOUR problem; it's not Mashima's job to cater to your tastes. You don't have to like Fairy Tail, but giving the series so much grief over a - quote unquote - "problem" that has existed since its inception is an exceedingly small-minded and petty thing to do.
May 28, 2017 12:50 PM

Nov 2012
FateHero said:
SuperRed said:

"I have no respect for authors." - your post.

As someone who has been writing fiction for nearly 9 years, I tend to have fairy high standard for decent writing, and am currently trying to discern whether or not you understand what the definition of 'decent writing' even is.

What I am trying to say is that those of you harping on Mashima for not killing off his Main Characters have clearly missed the point of Mashima's writing style. What's worse, a lot of you seem to be under the illusion that this is a new development in his works, talking about how Fairy Tail 'started out' great but then 'became garbage' later on - and that is 100% BULLSHIT!

Mashima has not changed the way this story is written from the day of its conception to now. For all 537 Chapters >THIS IS WHAT THE STORY HAS BEEN LIKE<, this is what the story was MEANT to be like, because that's what THE AUTHOR wanted it to be.

If you are one of those people that think Fairy Tail has steadily gone down the tube over the course its run time, I have a newsflash for you:

Fairy Tail NEVER changed, YOU did! So stop blaming the author just because you decided you don't like his style anymore.

Fairy Tail is an amazing story with deep, relatable characters, a rich, intricate history, and a fun, compelling plot.

So I will repeat: If you don't like it - that's YOUR problem; it's not Mashima's job to cater to your tastes. You don't have to like Fairy Tail, but giving the series so much grief over a - quote unquote - "problem" that has existed since its inception is an exceedingly small-minded and petty thing to do.

Just because Mashima thinks his style of writing is ok doesn't mean it actually is. I know Mashima doesn't intend to make FT a dark series that's why he doesn't like killing characters. The problem is that because of that most attempts at being seriously emotional backfire because the readers know they will be back soon after. If he didn't pretend to kill off characters only to bring them back via Deus Ex Machinas nobody would have a problem with the series.

Mashima also has a huge problem with delivering on the hype he builds up for his antagonists, Jacob became a complete and lame joke despite being supposedly a super strong opponent. God Serena gets plenty of buildup only to get one-shotted by Acnologia and is brought back in a weakened form where he gets defeated in a chapter by Gildarts, Irene and August commit suicide just for plot convenience, Acnologia himself is defeated by a ship ran by a comic relief character rather than an actual DRAGON SLAYER.

Fanservice is drawn when it shouldn't happen and makes the mood worse.

This isn't disliking a particular style, this is basic bad writing that most authors are told to avoid.
May 28, 2017 1:33 PM

Apr 2012
SuperRed said:
Just because Mashima thinks his style of writing is ok doesn't mean it actually is. I know Mashima doesn't intend to make FT a dark series that's why he doesn't like killing characters. The problem is that because of that most attempts at being seriously emotional backfire because the readers know they will be back soon after. If he didn't pretend to kill off characters only to bring them back via Deus Ex Machinas nobody would have a problem with the series.

Mashima also has a huge problem with delivering on the hype he builds up for his antagonists, Jacob became a complete and lame joke despite being supposedly a super strong opponent. God Serena gets plenty of buildup only to get one-shotted by Acnologia and is brought back in a weakened form where he gets defeated in a chapter by Gildarts, Irene and August commit suicide just for plot convenience, Acnologia himself is defeated by a ship ran by a comic relief character rather than an actual DRAGON SLAYER.

Fanservice is drawn when it shouldn't happen and makes the mood worse.

This isn't disliking a particular style, this is basic bad writing that most authors are told to avoid.

It is absolutely a style. I won't lie, for as much as I just praised the writing, there are plenty of times I roll my eyes while reading or watching Fairy Tail because of its predictability and fanservice moments. The reason I don't harp on it is because I choose to find enjoyment in the deep narrative and characters. The fact that I can predict that a character will survive no matter the odds doesn't make me wish they had died, or make me less happy to see them live. I choose to be live in the tone of the scene rather than in the knowledge of the eventuality, and that lets me feel what the characters feel when they think they've lost someone dear to them rather then get caught up in knowing it will be inevitably reversed.

And I can't imagine how anyone would have managed to put up with this series for this long if they didn't also enjoy it when they first got into it. If the teased character deaths, random fanservice moments, and over-hyped antagonists bothered you as much in the first few arcs as it does now, I don't understand why you didn't just drop this series ages ago.
May 28, 2017 3:25 PM

Jan 2014
Isterio said:
Taito10 said:

wtf?

Yes, by being loved by someone else they die.
The reason why the concept is genius but it´s execution terrible.

Genius? Why? Please explain.
May 28, 2017 5:23 PM
Oct 2013
Taito10 said:

Genius? Why? Please explain.

Ok, then let´s start with the definition of love first.

Depending on what kind of person you ask you´ll get different answers.

1. If you ask a Biologist, he´ll tell you that certain amounts of salsa inside your brain are concentrated with the correct dosage causing a reaction that´s positive for your bodily functions.

2. If you ask a relgious zealot he´ll tell you that it´s a gift from god and it exists to make us happy.

3.If you ask a spiritual person, someone who considers the secrets of the universe beyond his own meek comprehension, he´ll tell you that it´s a wonderful feeling that´s unique and unexplainable.

Now that that´s been established we must also differentiate between the different types of love, established by society and their defined purposes.
For the sake of simplification I´ll use the simplest model and differentiate only between two different kinds of love. The model I assume Hiro Mashima himself utilizes which is prominent in japanese culture.

A: In the japanese language they differentiate between romatinc, or sexual love恋[Koi] .

and

B: General love l愛[Ai] (not platonic love) a definition that defines all love towards anyone besides people you love to fuck. The love you can have towards friends, family etc and also the term Hiro Mashima generally uses when he refers to love in his Manga. l愛[Ai], unlike platonic love, can also refer to a romantic partner if the person uttering the word wants to remove the sexual undertone from his assertion. Which is why it´s translated as the "pure" or "innocent" form of love. Or how I like to call it, "Mom and Dad love after they´ve been married for over 30 years".

So, depending on who you ask for either purpose you´ll get yet again different answers.

4. Anthropologists a subgroup of the biologists, generally will refer to 恋[Koi] romantic love, as a motivation for humans to breed. An effect based on primal instict to keep the species from extinction.
While they consider 愛[Ai], the social form of love that enhances the survivability rates of it´s practitioners descendants, through tribalism.

5. A philosopher on the other hand, argueably a subgroup of the spiritualist, will define both forms of love as necessary for a human to exist. Therefore making them equal in value, depending on the viewpoint.

Now, let´s asume, the likely conclusion, that Hiro Mashima is the 3rd type of person, judging by the way he writes his stories. Someone that refuses the nihilistic scientific approach towards the concept of love and embraces the uncertain humanistic approach towards love.

Love or specifically 愛[Ai], as in general love, is a big deal within the from Hiro Mashima fabricated universe and his story is directed at people that agree with his fundamental beliefs of love being a not rationalizable, but essential addition for an individuals development. It´s a feeling, everyone needs.

A belief scientists and arts scholars alike agree upon.
Scientists just claim the necessity to be explainable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternal_deprivation

Hence, making the concept and it´s importance universally understandable by everyone. Everyone can relate to loving others.

Now to Hiro Mashima´s own concept.

Iit´s established that love in his univese is etherial and also indispensable for every individual to stay alive. But because of that he created a paradox with Zeref´s character, similar to that of The omnipotence paradox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox

It shouldn´t work, but Hiro Mashima is the god of his universe so he can do whatever the fuck he wants, something he does all the time, the reason this series is so bad. However, Zeref´s curse creates an interesting character study.
As beforehand established, according to science and the arts, humans are social. No human can stay lonely for extended periods of time, without becoming eventually unhappy and no human can socialize with others without becoming eventually affectionate towards someone or something within his surroundings. Effectively loving them in one way or the other.
If you deprive a human long enough from feeling affection he´ll eventually turn insane or die. Zeref can´t die and insanity is contradiction by nature, hence the name. A story that is a great depiction of the effects of the forceful isolation towards an individual is the Book "As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me", you should read it.
But back to the "The curse of Contradiction".

Now, instead of removing any possibility of communication, by putting Zeref in a vacuum, like aformentioned book does with it´s main character, Zeref is still allowed to socialize with his surroundings. But, the price for this privilege is the death to anything he shows affection towards. However, Zeref has a consciousness and the extinguishment of life hurts him mentally, since it goes against his moral code. To avoid the death of others he has to force himself to feel at least indifferent towards anything around him. Enforcing the isolation upon himself. At the same time he already had perceived affection and was fond of giving it back, like it naturally is. The condition he experiences is not only permanent torture, but it´s also self inflicted to avoid greater damage towards his environment. At the same time the solution for his curse to be lifted is to be loved by someone else. That love being necessarily honest affection, judged by an omnipotent onlooker, who can differentiates between the two established variants of love. To accomplish that. must socialize with others and make them feel pure love l愛[Ai] towards him, without him, who is deprived and hungry for love, being able to love them in return. Because if he did that person would die.
At the same time, he is forced to die should someone ever accomplish that level of affection towards him for some inexplicable reason, given his exxagerated "Beauty and the Beast" condition, leaving that person behind.
At the same time he was forced to live through an over 400 year isolation. A relateable, yet unimagineable in scope punishment. for every human who has went through loneliness, or the denial of affection.
His condition is understandable because everyone knows how painful these feelings or their lack thereof can be. But while people in the real world can influence their own future, he´s boned and has to rely on someone else to love him.

Zeref´s destiny is a predetermined tragic one, either for him or for the ones who would love him,without being melodramatic, given the circumstances he already went through.

IsterioMay 28, 2017 8:13 PM
May 29, 2017 8:50 AM
May 2017
Am I the only one who hated the chapter just cause Zeref died?
May 29, 2017 1:24 PM
Mar 2017
Guess the author of Fairy Tail doesn`t really know when to FINALLY END SOMEONE. Makarov`s death was a good moral point and yet without any explanation (yet) he comes back. Why tho?
May 29, 2017 3:36 PM
Dec 2012
Icemarch said:
Guess the author of Fairy Tail doesn`t really know when to FINALLY END SOMEONE. Makarov`s death was a good moral point and yet without any explanation (yet) he comes back. Why tho?

Makarov has been coming back from death since Phantom Lord arc. Since Laxus's arc. Since Tenroujima arc. Since.. Basically about every arc he "dies."
May 29, 2017 5:00 PM

Feb 2011
Read around 150 chapters in a swoop. (but it's not over yet...wrong timing) >__>
My eyes hurt from all this shounen. lol
I still believe this is how FT should end, something along these line is fine and is bound to have errors, because this is FT from Hiro. xD

Not about this chapter but valid:

I really liked reading FateHero and SuperRed discussion. I can agree with points from the 2 diferrent views they have about the series.
May 30, 2017 12:46 AM

Jan 2014
Worst 4 things mashima has done to series, Making Augustus parrents zeref and mavis, then him deiciding to blow himself up out of no reason, he was kicking gildarts and his magic was able to destroy continent, he was more powerfull than zeref seems just not immortal, then defeating acnologia with idiotic plot "hope he's alive" and FAVORITE trick he done over years makarov sacrifice himself and survives whole shitt again and again , Dude sacrificed himself with most epic way he could, for his family and hiro revives him, this arc was soo promising but it was waste of time , Why zeref could not think about that timelapse thing, why irene had not enchanced her dragon magic with zeref + augustus to kill acno??
May 30, 2017 4:41 AM

Nov 2016
Ichiya was the star of the chapter, Acnologia is most likely still alive, though.

The scene between Mavis and Zeref was actually quite touching tbh, but I had to cringe at the together forever part. It sounded way too corny.

Makarov is still alive ? Well, not really surprising, Mashima just dont have the balls to kill him off. In retrospect, the whole drama about him was ridiculous.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 30, 2017 4:54 AM

Jul 2014
Makarov LIVES AGAIN AYYY!!!!

Makarov vs Goku. Who wins?
May 30, 2017 10:14 AM
Dec 2013
Wow. Just wow.

Speechless.

Thought it ain't getting any worse, I was so wrong.

The part with Zeref and Mavis was cringe worthy and cheesy af, say what you want. I felt nothing while reading it, beside cringing at the overdramatic crying and pleading and tearing up. I was too mad at the fact that Zeref powered up, got fairy heart, and in the end still got one shotted by Natsu to even bother. What's the point of hyping up that power for?? It's trash.
U think it's over? Nope. They went and revived Makarov 😂 I was hoping for at least some types of casualties to make this look less bullshit and full of ex machina, at least one death of an important character would make it look less bad. I underestimated FT plot armor.

0/10.
May 31, 2017 6:43 AM
Apr 2017
so Disappointed -_- lolol LOVE??? aahhahahaha lolol ...
May 31, 2017 2:40 PM
Apr 2016
HeroShanks said:
I want to be angry at the fact that Makarov got sparked back to life (Still don't know how that happened. Answers on a postcard) but after this arc and especially the last chapter, I just don't care anymore. My indifference in the saddest part for me

I can explain Makarov's "ressurection". The curse of contradiction STEALS (meaning taking from and giving to yourself) the life force of all that one loves; meaning Zeref wasn't quite as "immortal" as he or we thought. He was running off of a battery. When Zeref and Mavis passed on, their souls passed through Makarov's on the way to the afterlife and deposited all of the life energy Zeref had into him. Makarov's wasn't dead, he had just turned to stone, because Fairy Heart uses one's life force. Mavis learned this spell from Zeref, who would've been able to use it on a much grander scale as intended.
Jun 2, 2017 4:22 AM
Sep 2015
SidVicious said:
Looks like Natsu is going to die next chapter...

lols. I do not expect anything in this series anymore. lol. Really? lols
Jun 26, 2017 7:50 PM

Dec 2014
wow makorou is alive and healthy man...what a twist
Jul 15, 2017 1:16 PM

Mar 2008
dead? no.. this is fairy tail!
Jul 27, 2017 9:44 PM

Sep 2009
what a moving chapter. zeref and mavis's ending was really sweet and i'm glad that they got to go together.

i definitely have mixed feelings about makarov though. it's great that he's back, but it just feels weird and defeats the impact set earlier. but as some people have pointed out, even though it feels cheap, lives were still in a sense exchanged for his so it's not the worst thing that i've seen happen at least.
Sep 2, 2017 2:06 PM

Oct 2015
that was romantic I think ( the way they vanished). The highlight was the resurrection of the master, which was predictable.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 17, 2018 3:06 AM

Feb 2013
Love was the only way to die.
Makarov was saved too!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 268 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BackLashWave - Jan 27, 2012

52 by aod-kun »»
Yesterday, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 46 Discussion

Cali4nian - Oct 12, 2009

10 by MAYANK22 »»
Apr 21, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 418 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Darklight0303 - Feb 2, 2015

185 by shinytrains »»
Apr 13, 1:00 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 251 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Sep 17, 2011

81 by aod-kun »»
Apr 6, 5:15 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 248 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Aug 27, 2011

75 by aod-kun »»
Apr 5, 9:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.