Forum Settings
Forums

Art, Music or Story: Which is Most Important to You? Why?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 13, 2017 7:08 AM

Apr 2015
Overall, characters and enjoyment are the most important pieces of a work. if I'm not enjoying what I'm watching, and there aren't any characters I can connect with, then I won't be sticking around.

However, of the three things you listed, I'd say that Story is the most important, simply because 'story' for me encompasses both the plot and direction of a work, but ends up also being a catch-all for the world and thematic elements also.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jun 14, 2017 12:18 AM

May 2013
Art of course. If the art is bad everything else becomes worthless.
Jun 14, 2017 12:38 AM

Mar 2017
IMO art, story and music depends on different genre of the series. For eg. Music anime will require good ost, action genre will have either better art or story, slice of life or romance should have better art.

But I vote go story coz majority of the series have better story then art. I see very rare brilliant art anime these days. But yeah the so called "masterpiece" has story in it not just art.
Jun 14, 2017 12:50 AM

Sep 2016
HMMMM... I tend to look at art first, but continue if the story is good.
The music is just a plus. I always skip the OPs and EDs. SFX are important though. But I think my SFX are similar or the same.

Jun 14, 2017 12:56 AM

Jul 2013
All truly matter. If the Animation is bad enough it makes me laugh then even if the story had potential to be good that can ruin it. Same goes with if the soundtrack is just actually abysmal or if the writing is extremely bad. It all goes hand in hand. The soundtrack can really set the mood of a show as well. Same with amazing Animation.
Jun 14, 2017 1:10 AM

May 2014
I think you forgot the "characters" option.
Jun 14, 2017 1:23 AM

Apr 2017
Of Course, All i ever wanted to keep me at the very edge of the seat and gives me a lot impressions are the proper executions and also some well-written characters that progress all throughout the storyline. To sum upeverything, What's important are the given set of flaws along the concepts itself to make even more unique.

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jun 14, 2017 1:57 AM

Jul 2010
They all have to work together. If all I want is story, I'd just read a book. If all I want is music, I'd just listen to the soundtrack. If all I want is art, I'd just look at pictures and clips. Of course a lot of people are gonna say story is important, but it's usually a combination of a lot of elements that make the story really shine through and make a good story better, or even a bad story more watchable. At the same time, poor animation and music can make a potentially strong story lose a lot of its impact. I mean, just look at the recent Berserk anime.
Jun 14, 2017 1:57 AM

Sep 2009
Animation. Because it's called "Anime."
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 14, 2017 7:36 AM

May 2015
KiraMustDie said:
They all have to work together. If all I want is story, I'd just read a book. If all I want is music, I'd just listen to the soundtrack. If all I want is art, I'd just look at pictures and clips. Of course a lot of people are gonna say story is important, but it's usually a combination of a lot of elements that make the story really shine through and make a good story better, or even a bad story more watchable. At the same time, poor animation and music can make a potentially strong story lose a lot of its impact. I mean, just look at the recent Berserk anime.

Ah! But a book isn't just a story. Prose is important. The best authors have distinctive, beautiful prose. I'd say prose is to literature what artstyle is to anime - a way to frame and set mood/tone for the story.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 14, 2017 8:49 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
everytime i see polls like this, i always wonder how many people picked the *safe-spot/people will probably agree with this* answer
Jun 14, 2017 9:10 PM

Dec 2012
Story, since if that was good I wouldn't really care if the art or music wasn't to my taste. If the show had nothing but good music going for it, I'd just skip it and listen to the OST. If the show was nothing but good art, I'd be bored and drop it. Although, as an ideal I'd prefer the show to have all of them be good. Music and art just make what was already good better.
KruszerJun 14, 2017 9:16 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 14, 2017 9:38 PM

Aug 2010
Manaban said:
Art plays more into character appearance

character appearance is of the utmost importance

so I vote art

art > all

I vote art, but I have to change it now that you've also voted for it.
Great.
Jun 14, 2017 9:45 PM

Apr 2015
Story obviously. However, good music and art can really help your series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2017 12:17 AM
Jan 2017
I'd say that story is the most important but at the same time art has to be pretty decent.I don't care much for art in anime though i believe music/OST is crucial as well.Let's see berserk (1997). The art is pretty decent but the music blends perfectly with its overwhelming story and that's one of the major reasons why i believe it's a must watch.
Story>music=art
Jun 15, 2017 12:22 AM
Mar 2015
Art=Story=Music

The good part about animation is that it's an audio-visual medium, so all three can work together, and if one part's lacking, the other 2 parts can act as a backbone to the series/movie.
Jun 15, 2017 6:21 AM

May 2016
Story will get an anime a higher score on its own, so that's the most important. However, I will be reluctant to check the anime out in the first place if the art isn't intriguing.

The soundtrack is one of the least important aspects, as a bad soundtrack can be easily ignored. But a good soundtrack is pretty ballin', though.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 15, 2017 6:54 AM
Nov 2014
I would have to say story because without a decent story at least it doesn't matter how good the animation or the sound is,the anime will be boring.or worse:sh*t.Good art and animation sure adds a lot, specially for those that are very pretentious or perfectionists.For me music is also very important, but not as much as the story.I think it wouldn't have the right to be called an anime if it had no story.
anime=animation, so it could theoretically be called that even without a story,but it'll
become boring very fast
Jun 15, 2017 7:39 AM

Apr 2017
Nowadays I usually look at new Anime at first thru their art, if I'm impressed then it'll be prioritized on the list.

If there is an Anime with a good story but not that of a satisfying art, I'll still put it on the list and try it out. If it's good, then I'll continue watching it.

Music is entirely a bonus if they had my favorite artists in it or if it is catchy enough for me to be enchanted.

I usually judge by art at first because of expectations & it gives me like a boost on exploring new styles and such but sometimes it isn't reliable so... story!

It only depends on my taste though seasonally.
I sometimes get swayed by the social media talks so I ended up liking a certain series which I don't even bother before lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2017 7:43 AM

Feb 2015
Everything is important to some degree.
Story and characters matter the most, I find anime good if it has a good story and characters. Even if the story is weak, but the anime has some good characters, I still can like it.
Music can make an atmosphere and nice artstyle and animation are just a bonus.
Jun 15, 2017 7:45 AM

Aug 2013
Noesnecesario said:
I't a difficult choice but, I'm taking this:

Story=Art>Music

This.
While music is still important and if I like it it can double the pleasure my pleasure of watching (especially if it's not a generic orchestral boring shit), the art and story plays higher role.
There is also a voice acting. Personally, I haven't seen any anime with bad voice acting (of course I'm not talking about dubs), but some mediocre series sometimes can be saved by phenomenal voice acting. I caught myself on raising a score because voice acting many times.

So my pick would be:
Characters=voice acting=direction>story=art>music>the rest.
Of course if art is a total garbage (read: overused 3DCG or full 3DCG) I will drop that shit instantly.
rsc-plJun 15, 2017 7:52 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 15, 2017 8:04 AM

May 2017
From what I've seen so far, I have to say they are all equally important for the overall success of an anime. I've been watching some really sad and moving stuff, and while I enjoyed them my first time and even my second times through, I've read reviews on them where a fair amount of people were harshly criticizing bad storytelling, plot holes, and cheap tricks to illicit emotion. When I went back and re-watched some of it, I realized to a certain extent it was true. Some people are just too picky, and some people I feel just want to seem knowledgeable and important. But some hit the nail on the head.

Regardless, I notice music and art can carry a less than stellar story. I can't say for sure if the story can carry bad art and music, because I don't think I've experienced that yet, or aren't experienced enough to be able to tell the difference, but I do believe a good story can carry them too. Well then again, I can't get through Your Lie In April because the lips bother the crap out of me...

Jun 15, 2017 8:13 AM
May 2016
Story > Music > Art

I like a connected flowing storyline to immerse myself into. So story is of utmost importance.

Music and Art are bonus enhancements to the story. Great music has ability to transcend the given storyline to a whole new level that has ability to etch into the heart even after I've finished the story.

Art should be decent enough for it to be watchable, thats it. If art is great, I consider it as a jackpot bonus
Jun 15, 2017 9:07 AM

Jan 2010
I want to say all is equally important but in the end it's the story that decided the enjoyment most.

*ART*
However, art can be very very important too because it can be the first thing you see and judge. If I see the poster and thought the art is ugly (Aku no Hana), I won't watch it, thus I won't even have the chance to judge the other elements. Art is one of the main reason why I love anime as a medium. If I see it this way, art certainly is the most important element.

*STORY*
The keyword here is characters (and their development). If you split characters and story in the poll, I won't even think twice to vote for characters. For me, it's the key to enjoy any anime. If I hate the main characters, no matter how good the other elements are, it would ruin my enjoyment. The first thing I checked (after the art) is the characters. I have certain characters that I avoid (tsunderes) so I will never watch anime with main characters that have traits that I dislike.
Story in itself is very important. It's the heart of an anime. If the other elements are good but the story is weak, it won't give a lasting enjoyment and probably forgetable.

*MUSIC*
Sounds like it's the less important one but actually it's pretty important imo. Let's start with seiyuu. For me, it's a big deal if my favorite seiyuu is playing the main characters. Not mandatory but certainly a big boost to my enjoyment. Glorious ost too, a very big boost to make a lasting, epic and unforgettable moments, thus creates the ultimate enjoyment.

Conclusion:
1. Characters
2. Story
3. Art
4. Music

All almost equally important only differs by a very slight margin.
Jun 15, 2017 9:42 AM

May 2016
What counts for 'Art' here?

Is it the art style/design?
That's not very relevant to me, I'm fine with it as long as it's not off putting (subjective to me).

Is it how consistently the active objects in the scenario are able to stay in model?
That's pretty relevant to me, I want the objects to stay in model unless the distortions are being purpusely used for some effect (comedy, symbolism, etc).
HyperLJun 15, 2017 10:00 AM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 15, 2017 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
Noesnecesario said:
I't a difficult choice but, I'm taking this:

Story=Art>Music

With a good story and a good character and background design, it will develop into a good anime.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by Kdog1998 »»
12 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
19 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
22 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
24 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.